University cancels cystic fibrosis fundraiser because disease only affects white men

posted at 5:35 pm on November 25, 2008 by Allahpundit

It only kills people like Dean Barnett. Not nearly progressive enough.

Cystic fibrosis “has been recently revealed to only affect white people, and primarily men” said the motion read to student councillors, who voted almost unanimously in favour of it…

Carleton students have fanned out across the city near the beginning of the school year to raise money to fight the illness for years. But according to the motion read Monday night to student councillors, “all orientees and volunteers should feel like their fundraising efforts will serve the their (sic) diverse communities.”…

“I think they see this, in their own twisted way, as a win for diversity,” said Mr. Bergamini. “I see it as a loss for people with cystic fibrosis.”…

Carleton University Students’ Association president Brittany Smyth said student council has been considering rotating the beneficiary of Shinearama instead of always giving the money to one charity.

The counterargument to this insanity? Noting that CF affects non-white people, too, which means it can be safely fought.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Is this a joke? Did they seriously do that?

Sorry Dean Barnett, you were just a white guy.

Mr. Joe on November 25, 2008 at 5:38 PM

No more fundraising for ovarian cancer, I suppose.

lorien1973 on November 25, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Barbarians.

ThePrez on November 25, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Do we need to bring up sickle cell anemia?

Brian1972 on November 25, 2008 at 5:39 PM

I am a white guy. I knew I was targeted for extermination.

But seriously, this doesn’t fit their mold I guess.

Sick and wrong.

dc84123 on November 25, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Also…

15 years ago, infanticide was unimaginable and only talked about in the most eccentric corners of universities (should’ve listened to glenn beck and others back then about this …) and now we have a president who supports it.

So, hey, 15 years from now. This might be important.

lorien1973 on November 25, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Some times it really sucks being white….

Hog Wild on November 25, 2008 at 5:41 PM

CF was created by Reverend Wright and Louis Farrakkkan to kill off the white race!

J.J. Sefton on November 25, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Hey, Abortion disproportionately kills more blacks and hispanics… why can’t we hold a fundraiser to oppose that?

Oh… That isn’t politically correct either.

The words I would use to describe these people would assuredly get me banned.

BKennedy on November 25, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Liberalism in a nutshell.

Zetterson on November 25, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Some times it really sucks being white….

Hog Wild on November 25, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Why? We are on the way to becoming a victim group.

lorien1973 on November 25, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Are they sure it is white people, or could beige people get it too? I’m beige, I think.

Limerick on November 25, 2008 at 5:42 PM

Clearly, there are no requirements of any sort of competency to get into this university. Diplomas from this place certify only that the person is a moron.

progressoverpeace on November 25, 2008 at 5:42 PM

So should we stop helping those with sickle cell animia because that disease is not inclusive enough? How about Tay-Sachs? Should that get the boot too?

Granted, resourses are limited and you want to place those resources where they will do the most good. How about addressing all serious diseases and focusing objectively adn scientifically on any we can make progress against. Making value choices based on race and gender alone is…well racist and sexist.

Mr. Joe on November 25, 2008 at 5:43 PM

I thought Bush gave huge money and resources to AIDS in Africa.
My God, if there are ever bigoted people, it is people on the left.
Good call Brian 1972, you beat me to the post…and there is always Lupus.

right2bright on November 25, 2008 at 5:43 PM

I guess Sickle Cell Anemia is just a Black thing. And Lupus is just a White Woman thing. And Hair Folically Challenged is just a Guy thing… kinda like Erectile Dysfunction.

FFS give me a break!

upinak on November 25, 2008 at 5:45 PM

It reminds me of years ago,someone will have the facts, when Rush offered a huge donation to a charity and the charity refused it.

right2bright on November 25, 2008 at 5:45 PM

The Clap is transmitted sexually. All you people who have sex ain’t worthy of Trojan’s efforts to protect you.

Limerick on November 25, 2008 at 5:46 PM

lorien1973 on November 25, 2008 at 5:41 PM

LOL… Affirmative Action, baby here I come!

Hog Wild on November 25, 2008 at 5:48 PM

We need a white Al Sharpton with a bullhorn.

Why did I have to be born a white male at a time when being a white male is a detriment? Talk about bad timing.

The only way to salvage my status is to be gay. Then I will get lots of funding for my disease.

Why couldn’t I have been born gay, instead of good looking?

keep the change on November 25, 2008 at 5:48 PM

Please point to the first PC racist hatemonger a** up which I will put my foot.

whitetop on November 25, 2008 at 5:49 PM

four legs good, two legs best

Defector01 on November 25, 2008 at 5:50 PM

Not sure how you fight racism with more racism.

Never made sense to me.

jharada on November 25, 2008 at 5:50 PM

As somebody that is half Filipino and half white with Cystic Fibrosis, this decision makes me sick. Imagine that. My Filipino mother contributed a CF gene as well as my Caucasian father.

cfsirl on November 25, 2008 at 5:50 PM

The net result of “diversity and policical correctness”, racism.

Zorro on November 25, 2008 at 5:50 PM

…now make way for our breast cancer fundraiser!

Butters on November 25, 2008 at 5:50 PM

These are our universities re-education camps in action, ladies and gentlemen!

Just one more freakin’ ignorant stunt to cause me to roll my eyes at the arbiters of tolerance in the future.

Ryan Gandy on November 25, 2008 at 5:50 PM

The net result of “diversity and political correctness”, racism.

Zorro on November 25, 2008 at 5:51 PM

So, how about AIDS affecting primarily gay people?

*gets hauled off by the Thought Police*

Hawkins1701 on November 25, 2008 at 5:54 PM

What you should do is argue that cystic fibrosis should be stomped out because it’s a discriminatory disease, favoring white males. A disease should not spread based upon the color of one’s skin, but on the strength of one’s immune system.

justfinethanks on November 25, 2008 at 5:55 PM

New quote for this century, until idiocy surpasses this one.

PC will kill us all.

Entelechy on November 25, 2008 at 5:57 PM

I thought Bush gave huge money and resources to AIDS in Africa

The MSM just yawned and pretty much ignored that. If Clinton had done it, it would still be in headlines.

whitetop on November 25, 2008 at 5:58 PM

At this rate I can imagine millions of whites marching on Washington, DC demanding our rights from the black messiah/Zero

Interesting times, indeed.

Cody1991 on November 25, 2008 at 5:58 PM

I need to make a Fund Raiser…. how about:

The Gentility Affirmation of Nihilistic Inimical Malady of Latitudinarianism, and how to Extirpate it’s Existance.

upinak on November 25, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Well that’s really stupid.

SoulGlo on November 25, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Hmm. I wonder how many people in this student organization that agreed to this were actually white men? I wouldn’t be surprise if there was quite a few.

terryannonline on November 25, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Disgusting. These people should be ashamed of themselves.

malan89 on November 25, 2008 at 6:00 PM

The strangest part of the story is that it was a journalism student that actually tried to stop this crazy PC fiasco. Maybe we have another Ezra Levant or Mark Steyn on our hands. At any rate, hats off to him – the kid’s got guts.

DamnCat on November 25, 2008 at 6:02 PM

[T]he motion went on to say that “and whereas cystic fibrosis has been recently revealed to only affect white people and primarily men, be it resolved that: CUSA discontinue its support of this campaign.”

JustTruth101 on November 25, 2008 at 6:03 PM

My son lives with CF. Diagnosed almost 17 years old. He’s a typical white guy.

Now the three people that I’ve known personally that died from CF – two ‘typical’ white kids (brother and sister) and one fine young man who happened to be black.

While CF primarily hits those of northern European descent it has no problems affecting others when the genetics are right.

What a bunch of a##holes.

alilianstrom on November 25, 2008 at 6:03 PM

Maybe liberalism is a death wish. Most liberals I know are self-loathing but don’t realize it.

JustTruth101 on November 25, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Sigh. I really miss Dean…he was great.

Richard Romano on November 25, 2008 at 6:04 PM

How much money is spent on breast cancer, and how much money is spent on prostate cancer. I really bet that the numbers would show how oppressed women are. The Race for the Cure of Prostate Cancer is a big event around here.

thuja on November 25, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Maybe liberalism is a death wish.

JustTruth101 on November 25, 2008 at 6:04 PM

It is. Half my family are raging Trotskyites. I don’t care if they jump off a cliff or fall on their kitchen knives.

I just don’t want them to take the rest of us with them.

Cody1991 on November 25, 2008 at 6:09 PM

justfinethanks on November 25, 2008 at 5:55 PM

We don’t need to sound like them, do we?

Hawkins1701 on November 25, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Exactly. I even mentioned that in an email I sent to “Information Carleton.”

Ryan Gandy on November 25, 2008 at 6:10 PM

Cody1991 on November 25, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Ouch! And I thought having only one step-dad and an uncle to fill the assorted “left wing nut job” roles was bad.

Half a family? . . . You have my condolences.

Ryan Gandy on November 25, 2008 at 6:12 PM

My 12-yr. old niece with CF is white, but she is female.

Her loss, I guess, that she got saddled with the wrong disease.

SWLiP on November 25, 2008 at 6:17 PM

terryannonline on November 25, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Indeed.

My entire generation seems to be about self-loathing white liberals trying to assuage their own white guilt.

That’d be fine, except I’m along for the ride.

What a joke.

Hawkins1701 on November 25, 2008 at 6:17 PM

Sigh…. why am I not surprised?

Maybe we should stop fundraising for juvenile diabetes and cerebral palsy. After all, they usually only affect those drains on society = children.

that’s just stupid, stupidness.

mjk on November 25, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Half a family? . . . You have my condolences.

Ryan Gandy on November 25, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Yep. They live in England and are dyed-in-the-wool Socialists. They only read the Guardian – only the Guardian. If anyone mentions Thatcher’s name, they foam at the mouth.

I’ve listened to their crap most of my life. They’re so smart, so intellectual, so caring and so superior.

The only question I used to ask them was, “Why, if that’s all true, are you always asking me for money”?

Never got an answer, but that’s a liberal for ya!

Cody1991 on November 25, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Don’t forget to help your fellow man…Except when it’s “Whitey.” You wonder how most of the college lack common decency even when they finish their degree.

boingo_tx on November 25, 2008 at 6:20 PM

I’m speechless.

Buy Danish on November 25, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Diversity is not a virtue.

spmat on November 25, 2008 at 6:20 PM

I knew one young woman who died from it at age 24 and I have a female friend who has managed to hang on and is 32. Unfortunately, they are white so, I guess they shouldn’t expect any help from leftards.

Blake on November 25, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Indeed.

That’d be fine, except I’m along for the ride.

What a joke.

Hawkins1701 on November 25, 2008 at 6:17 PM

Heh. I don’t think modern Western culture is sexist or racist. Noe we just have to convince the white males of it. LOL!

terryannonline on November 25, 2008 at 6:24 PM

Why? We are on the way to becoming a victim group.

lorien1973 on November 25, 2008 at 5:41 PM

I heard “White the new Jew” somewhere a few months back, and it seems to be coming true.

DFCtomm on November 25, 2008 at 6:27 PM

terryannonline on November 25, 2008 at 6:24 PM

And by my generation, I mean Y.

(Just a thought: Mario was white, and come to think of it, there aren’t any black Nintendo characters. The staples of my generation’s youth.

How come Nintendo’s not RAAAAACIIIIST?)

Hawkins1701 on November 25, 2008 at 6:29 PM

DFCtomm on November 25, 2008 at 6:27 PM

Just like Republican is the new gay.

Hawkins1701 on November 25, 2008 at 6:29 PM

There is a reason that Carleton is basically the “last chance U” of the major Canadian schools. Maybe if these losers went to class instead they could get jobs that do not involve harking french fries.

holdfast on November 25, 2008 at 6:32 PM

DFCtomm on November 25, 2008 at 6:27 PM

We’ve been heading in this direction for some time. Look at what has transpired in the UK under New Labor. Electing BO with a super majority of Dems is really the same thing.

Nanny state, over-taxed, big brother hovering over us watching for possible “hate speech” which is always a one-way street. You won’t feel welcome in your own country, or at least what you thought was your country.

This is what the Dems want. We are replicating the UK model.

Cody1991 on November 25, 2008 at 6:33 PM

terryannonline on November 25, 2008 at 6:24 PM

If you were white forty and had a penis you might think otherwise.

DFCtomm on November 25, 2008 at 6:34 PM

It is amazing…..I have never thought of fighting diseases in racial terms. This people are disturbed.

Jamson64 on November 25, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Hey, I broke this story at 8AM today! Sheesh…

fivefeetoffury on November 25, 2008 at 6:38 PM

If you were white forty and had a penis you might think otherwise.

DFCtomm on November 25, 2008 at 6:34 PM

If I were a white male I would think Western culture is racist and sexist??? Is that what you are saying?

terryannonline on November 25, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Only more proof to the saying ” So open-minded their brains fall out”

Jamson64 on November 25, 2008 at 6:39 PM

Five Feet Congrats
.Feel better?

Jamson64 on November 25, 2008 at 6:40 PM

thuja on November 25, 2008 at 6:08 PM

National Cancer Institute research expenditures by cancer type:
Breast in ’05, $560.1M; ’06, $557.3M; ’07, $551.1M
Prostate ’05, $309.0M; ’06, $309.0; ’07, $305.6M

Estimated new cases and deaths from breast cancer in the United States in 2008:
New cases: 182,460 (female); 1,990 (male)
Deaths: 40,480 (female); 450 (male)

Estimated new cases and deaths from prostate cancer in the United States in 2008:
New cases: 186,320
Deaths: 28,660

I’m not sure why you see this as a men vs women thing.

Y-not on November 25, 2008 at 6:47 PM

A preview of what is to come with Obama in charge.

angryed on November 25, 2008 at 6:48 PM

An email for them?

reshas1 on November 25, 2008 at 6:48 PM

“What’re a few white guys, more or less?”

ZK on November 25, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Souless bastards…a pox on every last one, and I mean that in the the most literal sense.

SuperCool on November 25, 2008 at 6:55 PM

C’mon, folks. We all know that white guys are the root (har!) cause of everything from dandruff to cancer. There’s no use trying to deny it. /s

coppertop on November 25, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Raaaaaaaaaacist.

Geronimo on November 25, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Wow… although it’s embarrassing to admit I seriously am a Carleton Graduate… I graduated in 2006 with a Communications Engineering degree and the more that time marches on the more my degree looks like dirt.

Don’t forget the whole abortion fiasco a couple of years ago where the same student council tried to restrict the mandatory student group funding from those that were against abortion. I wrote many letters over that and made it very clear that Carleton will never see another dime from me.

I am proud to say that as a current Texas A&M engineering student I have moved on from Carleton and can distance myself enough to call the school what it really is: CRAP.

Trapped In Canada on November 25, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Well wishes and prayers to all of those struggling with any life-challenging or threatening disease.

What a shame for these educated fools to stifle good will towards the infirmed by basing aid on race and gender. This is simply pathetic and really makes me kinda sad.

There is no measuring the impact of such stupidity. Am I complicit when I participate in a run for Breast Cancer or a fundraiser or a walk for AIDS? OF COURSE NOT — but some people will invariably respond that way.

The Race Card on November 25, 2008 at 7:16 PM

These kids have all the attributes of future Democrats.

drjohn on November 25, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Well, as a subhuman White Male, I will measure my charitable donations far more carefully. To say the least.

ronsfi on November 25, 2008 at 7:17 PM

I am ASHAMED to say that this is my alma mater.

What’s worse is that they’ve always been this way. They have a hate on for the Canadian Blood Services simply because one question asks about whether or not you’ve had sex with another man (therefore the people at CBS are raging homophobes). Though being a europhobe isn’t a problem since living in Europe for one year nets you a lifetime ban on donating.

Send your outrage to the president of CUSA, Brittany Smyth, at pres@cusaonline.com (or call 613-520-2600 x1603)

You can also ask Carleton’s new president, Dr. Roseann Runte, if she would have tolerated this kind of crap at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia. She can be reached at presidents_office@carleton.ca or by telephone at 613-520-3801.

Let’s let them have it!

Canucker on November 25, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Another brilliant decision in my country!Ugh!

canopfor on November 25, 2008 at 7:48 PM

No words can express my horror.

CF victims should be considered a minority. The number of victims falls just under the threshold that’s needed for massive federal funding–which is why the CF Foundation has to work so hard for private funds and be entrepreneurial in their operations.

Make this school pay for this. They are evil.

juliesa on November 25, 2008 at 8:10 PM

At some point during the Cold War radical left-wing ideology subtly evolved so that the white man replaced the bourgeois class as the explicit enemy of progressive thinkers. It is very problematic to oppose this new orthodoxy because white males have been traditionally ascendant and technically speaking still are. (Portugal only lost their African colonies in the mid-1970s.)

aengus on November 25, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Perhaps the libertards should just go the full-on eugenics route and determine what percentages of each race they would like to see survive and just withhold all medical treatment from overpopulated groups like whites. Canada has a national health system, they could just determine how many whites need to go and refuse all treatment except birth control and abortion until they reach the target number.

It would save on trainfare to the camps.

Laura in Maryland on November 25, 2008 at 8:13 PM

To the admins: Can we bump this and update it with the emails and phone numbers I provided above?

I would REALLY appreciate it given how aghast I am to be associated with these morons!

Canucker on November 25, 2008 at 8:20 PM

Well I wouldn’t expect a full-on eugenics agenda from liberals but the various EU welfare states are set up in a deliberate way to produce a certain outcome. Germans, for example, work and pay exorbitant taxes with the result that many cannot afford to have children. Their taxes subsidise Muslim immigrants (Turks mostly) who don’t work and have lots of children.

Basically the white wage-slaves are not only being replaced en masse in their own countries by people from alien cultures but they are forced to pay for the privilege of doing so. The issue of race (and religion) is far too sensitive to call into question so most everyone is too scared to object to these large-scale population replacements.

aengus on November 25, 2008 at 8:24 PM

For anyone who is offended by the way I have expressed the above views allow me to put it in a way that will clarify the issue without any possibility of causing offense.

Imagine if the US government allowed millions of native Frenchmen to immigrate to America and proclaimed it was insensitive that they be asked to speak English and that they had the right to not only go on speaking French but to parade around insulting Yankee culture within America’s borders.

Then imagine all your tax dollars had to go towards subsiding the French immigrant community so they could spend all their time promoting ‘superior’ French culture and lounging around in art galleries. Would that seem fair?

aengus on November 25, 2008 at 8:31 PM

aengus on November 25, 2008 at 8:24 PM

We are heading down this path and it worries me. I was raised to judge others by the content of their character, and I am floored at the bigotry aimed at men, whites and Christians with extreme vitrol for those who won the WCM trifecta.

I wouldn’t have been horrified if the school had decided that it’s efforts were so successful that perhaps they could add an additional fundraiser to help others in need (maybe sickle cell or Tay Sacs).

Laura in Maryland on November 25, 2008 at 8:36 PM

aengus on November 25, 2008 at 8:31 PM

I’m offended. You left out riots, state supported mosques, mandatory multicultural religious training in schools, and separate parallel systems of sharia law. Viva Steyn!

Laura in Maryland on November 25, 2008 at 8:41 PM

The natural result of letting “good willed individuals” make decisions about who gets health care and who doesn’t. It’s also a nice little forecast of the kind of debates they have in Britain and Australia: whether smokers or overweight people or meat-eaters should get the government health care that socialist governments have established as the *only* source of care.

omriceren on November 25, 2008 at 8:48 PM

Laura in Maryland on November 25, 2008 at 8:41 PM

Hahaha!

aengus on November 25, 2008 at 8:59 PM

Canucker on November 25, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Thanks for those addresses. I’m firing off a saved copy of my earlier message to both.

Ryan Gandy on November 25, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Laura in Maryland on November 25, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Someone wake me when the backlash against blatant anti-Christian misandry finally hits critical mass.

Ryan Gandy on November 25, 2008 at 9:08 PM

aengus on November 25, 2008 at 8:24 PM

aengus on November 25, 2008 at 8:31 PM

That all sounds so familiar for some reason…….

clearbluesky on November 25, 2008 at 9:14 PM

But lots of money to be had for sickle cell research.

Scott on November 25, 2008 at 10:04 PM

Here is the University’s newspaper link. There is a comments block at the end. I couldn’t see where previous comments were located, but sent them one anyway.

The Charlatan – Carleton’s Independent Newspaper Since 1945

TugboatPhil on November 25, 2008 at 10:16 PM

PC will kill us all.

Entelechy on November 25, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Ah, Miss E. You read my mind precisely.

hillbillyjim on November 25, 2008 at 10:28 PM

State sponsored suicide.

Of course to suggest better border enforcement here is racist and bigoted, by the lights of liberal thinkers (not to mention W. and McCain.)

hillbillyjim on November 25, 2008 at 10:44 PM

It’s a good thing they didn’t stop raising money for Sickle-Cell Anemia. They’d really be in trouble.

roux on November 25, 2008 at 11:34 PM