Great news: Obama and McCain agreed to move forward on immigration, says Reid

posted at 3:40 pm on November 25, 2008 by Allahpundit

Via the Standard. This is what they’re going to do to pass the time in Congress between bailouts? Jerk around with a hot-button issue guaranteed to enrage all sides and exacerbate Democratic infighting while the economy’s melting down and the Iran nuclear clock ticks on? Why not toss social security onto the table too, just to really get the juices flowing?

To believe Reid’s being sincere, you’d have to believe he’s an abject imbecile. Verdict: He’s sincere.

Q: With more Democrats in the Senate and the House and a Democrat in the White House, how do you see congressional efforts playing out on such issues as health care and immigration?

A: On immigration, there’s been an agreement between (President-elect Barack) Obama and (Arizona Republican Sen. John) McCain to move forward on that. … We’ll do that. We have to get this economy stuff figured out first, so I think we’ll have a shot at doing something on health care in the next Congress for sure.

Q: Will there be as much of a fight on immigration as last time?

A: We’ve got McCain and we’ve got a few others. I don’t expect much of a fight at all. Now health care is going to be difficult. That’s a very complicated issue. We debated at great length immigration. People understand the issues very well. We have not debated health care, so that’s going to take a lot more time to do.

We’ll never know for sure, but I like to imagine that Grahamnesty brokered the deal. And if they don’t get around to it in this Congress? Good news — Maverick’s officially running for re-election, so he can be the GOP point man for The One in 2011 or 2012 if need be. Exit question: Any predictions on how the Senate vote will shake out next time? Given the beating McCain took from Hispanic voters, I’ll put the over/under at 70.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Wheeee! Bipartisan transnational progressivism, rocks, baby!

Dig it! Wild!

(Best impression of Bernardine Dohrn, as channeled thru wimpish husband, what’s-his-name, the neighborhood guy).

Nichevo on November 25, 2008 at 4:55 PM

My point is that they can’t. If you are some poor dude in Guatemala without a US citizen close relative, you are looking at a wait of 15-20 years before you can get your work visa to the US. If you have three kids and you can’t feed and clothe them, then waiting 15-20 years for your number to come up is just not a viable option. This is not the America of the late 19th century when you just showed up at Ellis Island, paid your ten dollar immigration fee and you were in.

factoid on November 25, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Then work to get better guest working programs, not rewarding those who break the law to get here… and expose our country to terrorists sneaking accross our borders.

stenwin77 on November 25, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Figures. I knw he was just playing us for awhile. I hope he doesn’t get re-elected in AZ, but I’m confident he’ll spend the next two years with his lips pressed up against “the ones” butt trying to impress the masses with his bipartisanship.

anniekc on November 25, 2008 at 4:56 PM

One Last, FINAL step in destroying the GOP…. forever.

stenwin77 on November 25, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Doubtful. The old white people who oppose any type of regularization are dying off. But the young Hispanics keep coming.

Run the numbers. If the 2012 electorate is similar to the 2008 electorate, the GOP nominee would have to take 65% of the white vote to win. That isn’t happening. So, as Karl Rove and others have indicated, we have to find a way to get Hispanics on-board.

Maybe you think we can’t win without your vote. But we can’t win with it, either. (For more, see Nov. 4, 2008. See also Nov. 7, 2006.) At least by making an outreach to Hispanics — whose payroll taxes we’ll need to pay your Social Security — we can position ourselves to win in the future.

paul006 on November 25, 2008 at 4:57 PM

do you have an actual question for me, jake?

wise_man on November 25, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Yes sir – why resort to the “F-You” stuff? You seem to be a solid participant in HotAir – so why let others get under your skin?

It’s just a screen and a key board – don’t let anyone bug you.

I read your posts – you’re ok – let others bug themselves.

jake-the-goose on November 25, 2008 at 4:57 PM

factoid on November 25, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Life’s tough. He has no claims to any access to the US. Period.

progressoverpeace on November 25, 2008 at 5:00 PM

factoid on November 25, 2008 at 4:51 PM

If I want your home but don’t want to wait 15-30 years for your mortgage to be paid off, may I come and squat on your land, eat your food and use your toilet?

Where does your sympathy end? At our immediate borders? There are millions of people around the world who want to be here. So effing what?

A factoid, which I have yet to verify suggests that there are more English speakers in China than the US. Are they more qualified than a non-English speaker from Honduras to be an American citizen? What about the nation of Haiti, their situation pretty much sucks? Should we invite them too?

Your tears will eventually drown you.

The Race Card on November 25, 2008 at 5:06 PM

paul006 on November 25, 2008 at 4:57 PM

I say stop them from coming and fight citizenship for illegals. Any group with an out-of-wedlock birthrate way over 50%, including Hispanics, is only going to vote for bigger government.

And that is why stenwin77 is correct unless we fight:

One Last, FINAL step in destroying the GOP…. forever.
stenwin77 on November 25, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Thresher on November 25, 2008 at 5:08 PM

You know what this country needs? A BAILOUT for all unemployed, uninsured, poverty level illegal aliens!

Star20 on November 25, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Why doesn’t the republican party expell McCain?
You know all the GOP members gather to pass a no-confidence motion, vote and get him the heck out .
Republicans do not need McCain. Democrats don’t want him either. He can be a maverick all he wants, he doesn’t need the GOP for that.
GOP should reinvent and restructure itself and get rid of whinny-RINOs like McCain for good.
Country first ..which country was he talking about?

macncheez on November 25, 2008 at 5:14 PM

I say stop them from coming and fight citizenship for illegals.

Thresher on November 25, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Well, you can say that. But that’s pretty much all you can do, because the people who are now running the government don’t share your views. So it isn’t happening. That’s just reality.

paul006 on November 25, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Why doesn’t the republican party expell McCain?

macncheez on November 25, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Because McCain represents the modern Republican party, unfortunately.

Conservatives have been displaced for a while.

MadisonConservative on November 25, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Every American needs to start manning the wall on this one.

Star20 on November 25, 2008 at 5:24 PM

paul006 on November 25, 2008 at 5:20 PM

That’s why it’s a fight. We stopped the 2006 and 2007 amnesties. This fight is far from over and the heritage of our country is at stake.

Thresher on November 25, 2008 at 5:24 PM

This fight is far from over and the heritage of our country is at stake.

Thresher on November 25, 2008 at 5:24 PM

The continued existence of our Republic, I would say.

progressoverpeace on November 25, 2008 at 5:25 PM

Save your romantic view for the telenovelas.

The Race Card on November 25, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Amen, brother.

factoid on November 25, 2008 at 4:51 PM

That’s right, factoid. It’s not the 19th century anymore. It’s the 21st century and we are now a fully populated country of over 300 million, with crowded cities, congested highways, and stressed-to-the-near-breaking-point resources (e.g., water in the west). Oh, and by the way, we’re also currently facing an economic disaster of epic proportions. The last thing we need is to legalize tens of millions of undereducated, underskilled, non-English proficient foreigners who have already demonstrated their utter contempt for our laws, so that they can add their names to the welfare rolls as soon as their low-paying jobs disappear.

And yes, it’s too bad about that poor fellow in Guatemala who’s having a rough time making ends meet. But it’s not the obligation of US taxpayers to make a job and legal US residency easily accessible to every impoverished person in the third world. This country is not the property of the world at large, it is the property of US citizens, and most of us are fed up with the way our country is being abused by illegal aliens.

AZCoyote on November 25, 2008 at 5:29 PM

macncheez on November 25, 2008 at 5:14 PM

We should kick him out just like the democrats kicked out Joe Lieberman, what an awesome idea!!!!!
“Because McCain represents the modern Republican party, unfortunately.”

Why even post? If you are going to be so stupid?

wise_man on November 25, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Star20 on November 25, 2008 at 5:11 PM

We have always had a bailout for these ppl. Ever been to your local welfare office ? Or any emergency room, delivery room or public school or even a grocery store?
Taxpayer bailout for illegals is enshrined in our constitution, or so I’m told

macncheez on November 25, 2008 at 5:37 PM

VinyFoxy on November 25, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Hey I take issue with your comment because the obvious /sarc was not there. And I am Latina (Puerto Rico, therefore American). So I am fully bilingual in English and Spanish.

Let me give you my take on this…I don’t drink that Kool-Aid. There is a saying in Spanish that goes like this: “Por justos pagan los pecadores”, which means, “the do-gooders pay for the sinners” ~ in this case, I pay the consequences for what Mexicans do. Because I look like them, I am treated with raaaacccciiiissssmmmmmmm!!!!!!

There are many to blame in this very complex situation, and certainly to me Mexico is at the top of the list. (Hey it could be worse, we could have Chavez there instead). Police is corrupt, government is basically for themselves, and the people fending at the bottom of the ocean. Not wanting to take care of the issues that Mexicans face every day, provide jobs and many activities for the youngsters (dunno about health insurance but it has to be miserable too) puts a toll on them. That does not mean that they should leave the country! Sacrifice, do better, work hard and help put your country back on track!

OTOH, our borders are simply miserable. We can put a shuttle into space, sonars and equipment in Mars and in space but we cannot cover our rear ends here. Certainly this is a problem that has lacked the attention and urgency for more than ten years; now all these people are in, thousands pouring every month and no severe, stern and affirmative action is taken (not to mention the protests Latinos could prepare, would put Prop. 8 in diapers). Folks, there are shoes with maps, tunnels, TV spots where they show the weak spots, folk songs, you name it. What has Mexico done in cooperation with the US to: 1-capture illegals coming here, and to, 2-get our criminal fugitives SOB’s that go down under to have some tequilas and seek freedom? **NOTE** Freedom comes and goes both ways.

I saw several spots in NW PA where illegals worked the fields. Amazing! I look towards the fields from the car, and you see 30 Mexican heads popping like daisies from the cornfields and other crops. Dunno why they are not afraid of my DH but scared to death of me; because I am a Latina stranger I must be what they call a “Federale”.

I have always believed and it is still my position that on immigration, YOU TAKE A TICKET AND YOU WAIT YOUR TURN! No If’s, But’s, What-If’s, Nada! There are prostitutes in the US and this matter is the mother of all prostitutions.

I expect a POTUS to be a leader and assertive, strong but considerate, firm but with faith in God…John McCain has many positive qualities, but in this matter in particular, he has disappointed me. I recognize his achievements, his life lessons, his strength, but as of lately I can only think of him as a pansy. And pansies are cute in gardens and fields; they cannot rule the country.

Now don’t go jump all over me when I agree with the Spanish language matter. I pledge with you to consider taking Spanish lessons. Many lovely Americans regret now that they were not paying enough attention to class when they had the chance. On my end, I plan to teach my children, and I spoke to the teacher and whenever she needs me to help her out with Spanish lessons, I will be glad to go to school and help out.

My message to Sarah is, I am so sorry that you and your family had to go through so much, and you certainly deserve better. You were not only running against the Dems, the MSM, you were running against your own running mate.

ProudPalinFan on November 25, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Nooooo… Mac you were suppossed to have learned from past mistakes! If this is how it’s going to be, won’t hurt my feelings to see him lose two elections in a row. I have tremendous respect for him as a veteran, but he was suppossed to be back on the reservation on this issue. Now I’m really depressed.

Hog Wild on November 25, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Save your romantic view for the telenovelas.

The Race Card on November 25, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Your tears will eventually drown you.

The Race Card on November 25, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Darn, you’re good.

MB4 needs to post his comment on the U.N. and our government sactioned serfdom in this regard.

Entelechy on November 25, 2008 at 5:52 PM

S/b sanctioned, of course.

Entelechy on November 25, 2008 at 5:53 PM

factoid on November 25, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Sounds like the guy needs to organize with his fellow countrymen to improve conditions there.

FloatingRock on November 25, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Because McCain represents the modern Republican party, unfortunately.

The modern republican party needs to get rid of spineless creepy dudes, and grow a pair

macncheez on November 25, 2008 at 6:06 PM

This country is so screwed. It is going to collapse and be no longer. Bailouts of banks, motgage companies, and now it seems auto manufacturers. Then we are overrun with illegal immigrants. That’s what really grinds me, they are ILLEGAL immigrants and these idiots in congress want to reward illegal behaviour.

Then there are the other entitlement programs: social security, medicare, unemployment benfits. And then they want to add on health care.

cjs1943 on November 25, 2008 at 6:07 PM

It seems the people of Iceland have grown a pair.

cjs1943 on November 25, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Now, just after the election, is the perfect time to finally get rational on the issue. And if working illegals are willing to wait twelve years or so, and jump through a lot of hoops in the meantime (to prove they’re serious,) then citizenship someday is okay too. I have no problem with it. America needs more people and younger people.

RBMN on November 25, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Some of you just don’t get that most of these people, and I’m mostly referencing Mexicans here, do not care about getting citizenship.

Many (no, not all) Mexicans don’t have any loyalty to anything American except for the US Dollar. Because they can come and go relatively easily and cheaply they just do not have the type of loyalty that immigrants of yesteryear and even those who come from far away seem to have. Couple that with the corrupt, socialistic environment in Mexico and many of these immigrants just want to get all they can for their families. After they produce an American citizen anchor baby they can then claim welfare benefits for the child citizen.

As for this delusion on the part of some Republicans that granting amnesty will result in grateful future voters, realize that many of the “legal” immigrants that voted Obama were “illegals” until the 1986 Reagan (Republican)amnesty or are the anchor babies of illegals.

This may seem politically incorrect but I think we need to put a cap on all immigration especially those from Mexico. We should let in more from other countries that would really be grateful for the chance to live in the US. Despite the propaganda, Mexico is a free country with a great many resources. In the list of most impoverished they aren’t even in the top 100.

mrsmwp on November 25, 2008 at 6:10 PM

Forgot to add:

They should be willing to undergo a very intense, deep background check, drug/urine test, crime checks, hey why not throw credit while we’re at it. Sorry but I don’t want any more criminals coming here free willy.

ProudPalinFan on November 25, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Sure, now Reid and Pelosi will work on an issue since there’s no chance of losing.

boingo_tx on November 25, 2008 at 6:24 PM

I am sad to say that I am not surprised. NumbersUSA is doing a big push to round up as much money as they can to fight this thing. I wish I had the funds to really make a difference.

mindhacker on November 25, 2008 at 6:27 PM

McCain is the perversion that keeps on giving.

A weird guy, a real sack of self-aggrandizing masochism.

rrpjr on November 25, 2008 at 6:40 PM

MB4 needs to post his comment on the U.N. and our government sanctioned serfdom in this regard.

Entelechy on November 25, 2008 at 5:52 PM

I long ago saw through sleazy chuck-and-jive shamnesty politicians like Harry Reid. The reason that Republican supporters of “Comprehensive Immigration Reform” want it is so that they and/or their campaign contributors can have serf labor. They would probably prefer actual out-and-out slaves but that is illegal.

The reason that shamnesty Democrats want this is so that those who are now illegal can become legal and vote for them. Many of them probably also want to do this for the same reason that shamnesty Republicans do too.

Does anyone think that many of these shamnesty politicians really care one wit otherwise for the illegals.

Does anyone think that any of the shamnesty politicians are going to invite these Mexican Indios and Mezclados to join their elite/exclusive golf clubs?

Come to live in their gated communities, other than as servants?

Invite them to their yachts, other than as low paid deck hands and/or servants?

Invite them to their cocktail parties?

Introduce them to their daughters?

The big majority of the Mexicans who have come here/will come here are Indios and Mezclados, not the Spanish descendant light-skinned ruling class of Mexico. This is a form of ethnic cleansing by Mexico’s ruling class.

So the shamnesty politicians like Harry Reid, Jorge Arbusto, Juan McVain and apparently The Anointed One are aiding and abetting and facilitating ethnic cleansing.

If the U.N. were not such a joke, they would all be standing trial for trying to reintroduce a form of latter-day-slavery in the United States and for the mass ethnic cleansing of Mexico.

MB4 on November 25, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Noneya on November 25, 2008 at 3:46 PM

Hispanics in America are not some monolithic bloc that has an open border policy as their only issue.

I’m in SoCal and am friends with a guy that is a first-gen natural born American (his parents are legal immigrants from Mexico). He refuses to go to one of the local fast food joints because the employees only speak Spanish and that annoys him (he’s fluent in Spanish and is proud of his Mexican culture but doesn’t like when people don’t learn English).

He’s a Democrat because he’s a longshoreman and has been told that Republicans are going to destroy the unions and import low wage workers to do their jobs.

Just as white folk have many reasons for being Republicans or Democrats, Hispanic folk also have many reasons for being part of the party they choose to be a member of.

If you have a good case to make for why legalizing illegal immigrants is a good idea, please make it. If the only argument is “Hispanics will like Republicans if we legalize illegals”, that’s just pandering and hoping you can buy a vote by giving people what they want.

If we take the time to articulate why Republican stances on illegal immigration are better for everyone in the country and explain how Republican values and policies will help hispanics, we will start to get more of their vote.

JadeNYU on November 25, 2008 at 8:01 PM

Reid:

“We debated at great length immigration.”

The fornication you did, numb nutz. You tried to cram it down with no amendments only a week after it emerged from a closed door writing process.

It failed only because the American people hauled you up short by the curlies.

Troll Feeder on November 25, 2008 at 8:18 PM

The only hope is that both of the architects of the original Amnesty of 2007 will both croak and leave us alone. Damn modern medicine.

texaninfidel on November 25, 2008 at 8:54 PM

texaninfidel on November 25, 2008 at 8:54 PM

That’s cold. Funny, but cold. :)

mrsmwp on November 25, 2008 at 9:53 PM

Ah, the return of Backdoor John…and it took only 3 weeks after his electoral a** whipping for him to go back to his old routine. Guess he got bored having his minions trash Sara Palin…the more things change..hooray for mavericky mavericks else the GOP would forever keep poor people from realizing the American Dream..or whatever the excuse is going to be. What’s the spin this week, McCain apologists?

How about a song? Maybe just a verse from my hit single, Backdoor John.

Backdoor John he loves the human race!
He’s going to put the bigots in their place!
Mexico, South America, even Pan-a-ma,
All aboard, we’re all Americans now!

austinnelly on November 25, 2008 at 9:56 PM

I have told my wife that if there is a revolution, I am going. I can’t think of having my little girl grow up with these traitors and commies in control. My parents are gone, but they enabled me to have a great 50 years and find a great woman and have a fantastic kid. I just don’t think that we are going to win fighting fair because the other side doesn’t!

rgranger on November 25, 2008 at 10:52 PM

The part I love is when it’s clear that the Democrats have fallen for their own spin about the xenophobic, racist, nativist Republicans killing the immigration bill and Reid asserts that the inclusive, tolerant Dems now in charge of the whole shebang, will finally get a chance to do the right thing.

I say go for it Harry! May you take full ownership of that package and never look back on the real reason immigration went down. It was overwhelming opposed across the board — and the public felt so strongly about it that they nearly shut down the House with calls & emails to their Congressmen, Demorat & Republican alike.

McCain and the President and the Democratic majority went down in flames. Has the mood of the country changed so dramatically that the Democratic majority, the President and McCain can just shoot this thing through Congress now? Let’s man the phones again and let them take all the credit — along with trying to explain it without the Republicans to kick around this time.

JM Hanes on November 25, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Why even post? If you are going to be so stupid?

wise_man on November 25, 2008 at 5:30 PM

I should just post “F yourself”, like you?

MadisonConservative on November 25, 2008 at 11:26 PM

So, none of the representatives or senators or even the president see a problem with adding 10-50 million people to the country when unemployment is looking for a ceiling.

Where did these people study economics?

All this while ignoring that fact that the vast majority of the ‘illegal aliens’ do not have the best interest of the US at heart. In fact, they will simply line up for the various government programs until all of the social systems are broken.

Freddy on November 26, 2008 at 1:17 AM

With the U.S. economy slowing, the “open-borders” crowd will have no chance at making a sale. The “Blue Dogs” will eat them alive.

trl on November 26, 2008 at 3:29 AM

I think it will be a tough sell when unemployment is at 10%

angryed on November 26, 2008 at 10:40 AM

trl on November 26, 2008 at 3:29 AM

I think it will be a tough sell when unemployment is at 10%

angryed on November 26, 2008 at 10:40 AM

Yes, this is the one silver lining in our failing economy. With all the massive bailouts inflating our deficit by trillions, and the prospect of millions more Americans being out of their jobs in the coming months and (maybe) years, there is no way the public will sit still for an amnesty law that gives legal status to who-knows-how-many millions of unskilled, uneducated, non-English-proficient foreigners. These people will be lining up for welfare and other taxpayer-funded benefits at the first opportunity, and the cold hard reality is that we simply can’t afford it.

And BTW, Harry Reid, you imbecile, when this amnesty issue was debated so thoroughly in Congress before, just exactly what dollar amount did you geniuses decide this program would end up costing American taxpayers? Oh wait . . . that’s right, you never did a full cost/benefit analysis, did you? Like so much of the other idiotic legislation you morons pass, you just decided it felt good, so who cares what it really costs. Well the U.S. public is getting fed up with that kind of irresponsibility, Harry, because we’ve seen the end results. We’re fed up, and we’re not going to take this crap any longer. Consider yourself warned.

AZCoyote on November 26, 2008 at 12:35 PM

McCain is gone from politics.

An honorable man who shot himself and his country in the foot by refusing to tell the voters the truth about his opponent.

It will take 20 years to recover, unless the ObamaFool starts a war once he sees what an incredible mess his compadre’s liberal policies have created. Historically, that is the usual modus operandi.

notagool on November 26, 2008 at 1:07 PM

The only surprise here is that moron Reid who doesn’t see a fight brewing over amnesty.

highhopes on November 25, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Reid is beholden to the mobs that run all of the gambling joints in his state. Somebody (illegals) has to work in the kitchens and on the housekeeping staffs to keep the overhead low.

onlineanalyst on November 26, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Note to McCain: This crap is why you lost against a joke of a candidate.

Doppleganker on November 26, 2008 at 1:37 PM

I really regret voting for that scumbag globalist John Mccain.

After watching that man CONCEDE OFF OF EXIT POLLS it was obvious that he was only doing his job helping Obama win the election.

He should be impeached from the senate and go to prison for fraud and treason!

SaintOlaf on November 26, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Anecdotal evidence notwithstanding, most illegal aliens are looking for a place where they can make more than the $5/day they are making at home. They are looking for a place where they can work 12 hours and take home their 40 hard-earned dollars at the end of the day. They pick up our trash, they clean the toilets in our office buildings, they pick our produce, they do the lowest-paying, suckiest jobs this country has to offer. They would love to be legal aliens if this country gave them a meaningful chance to obtain legal residency.

factoid on November 25, 2008 at 4:03 PM

Don’t worry. With the newly legislated Card Check, the illegals will form a union and demand better pay for those jobs.

BTW While many (most?) of our illegals stream through our southern border, not all are Mexicans. Ironically, Mexico has very strict, punitive border policy in its south. Why have all of these congressional amnesty sympathizers never been questioned about that hypocrisy.

Hispanics in our country are not a singular bloc anyway. They come from different countries. This pandering by treating them as one group belittles the genuine efforts of those who immigrated legally and applied for their citizenship by following the law.

What do we do with students who overstay their visas? How about the Chinese stowaways on container ships? How many Irish colleens does Ted Kennedy want to protect in order to provide nanny work for his constituents?

When does Reid’s term end? When does McCain’s? What about the terms of other border-soft, amnesty shills currently in Congress? It’s time to get cracking in locating and supporting candidates who intend to follow our laws, not rewrite them to build a constituency.

onlineanalyst on November 26, 2008 at 1:50 PM

What I don’t understand is that Australia is a great country, but they don’t seem to have an immigration problem…you don’t see people sneaking over their border fences to get in.

right2bright on November 26, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Fan-effing-tastic!
Just what we need, a bunch of welfare seeking, uneducated, criminals clamoring for a bailout!
When will these baffoons learn that THE AMERICAN CITIZENS are tired of paying for these lawbreakers. Send their asses back to their home countries to pay for. We are sick of IT!

ATTENTION ARIZONA CITIZENS:

It’s time to find a REAL conservative senator to represent you. Tell the “maverick” to pack sand.

HornetSting on November 26, 2008 at 4:15 PM

ILLEGAL ALIENS ARE ECONOMIC TERRORISTS!

HornetSting on November 26, 2008 at 4:15 PM

McCain is a melanoma on the U.S. body politic. His replacement is somewhere in Arizona, a heartbeat away from the Senate.

PD Quig on November 26, 2008 at 4:19 PM

Sheriff Joe for Senate!
Kick out the dusty, rusty old fart and bring in someone who doesn’t sit under a democrat’s desk!

Get out of D.C. John McCain and take your boyfriend, Lindsay Grahamesty, with you!

HornetSting on November 26, 2008 at 4:23 PM

And McCain and his people wonder why he lost.When the people have to choose a real lib or a almost mod lib like McCain they will choose the real lib ever time.I think Rush and other real consev.are glad down deep inside that McCain lost.Just think what McCain would done to our party if he had won.I know i feel that way sometimes when i read storys about McCain like this one.

thmcbb on November 26, 2008 at 10:15 PM

rgranger on November 25, 2008 at 10:52 PM

You bring up a good point. What happens when free people willfully give up freedom? What happens when a deomcracy loses its ability to defend itself from itself.
I’m fairly sure the founding father never envisioned a free people and a free press trying to get rid of its liberty.
Doesn’t make sense esepcially since the first two amendments are specfically to keep that from happening.
Free speech and the right to bear arms.
Personally I want a divorce, . Live and let live as long as you live somewhere else, you know what I’m sayin

kangjie on November 26, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Maybe you think we can’t win without your vote. But we can’t win with it, either. paul006 on November 25, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Who is ‘we’, the RINOs? You RINOs can’ t win with the non RINO vote because they won’t vote for you. You hate the conservative base but want them to vote for you and then lay down and die. Guess what, a bunch of them did not even vote. That was the demographic of this election, Republicans staying home rather than vote socialist or RINO

So no, you RINOs can’t win with the conservative base

You can’t win without them either because you are a minority without allies on the right or left

McCain had already proven himself to be untrustworthy on amnesty, so he was running without a mandate

McCain had the biggest suck up to illegals campaign in Republican history, from his amnesty bill, to his hispanic Aztlan corrdinator. McCain isn’t needed by illegal hispanics because they can get twice the deal from the socialist left

RINOs are in dreamland. Hispanics don’t need them, they have commmunists to vote for. THe reiligous right do not need the RINO’s who are one stem cell away from the left on social issues.

paul006 on November 25, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Why do RINOs think that only illegals work and pay payroll taxes? Why do RINOs think that if illegals are not taking a job, that no one else will take the same job? The difference is legals get paid more, so their payroll taxes are higher. And legals pay the taxes while many illegals work under the tables and suck up services.

I want all the money handed out to illegals in this country in the form of free education, free luches, medical services, and prison costs to be refunded to the Social Security fund. You RINO’s can deposit the money out of the profits you made using illegals

entagor on November 27, 2008 at 1:52 AM

Was that the real reason for refusing to enforce border law and flooding the US with 20 million illegals which the above named calls ‘Hispanics’,

to remove the political clout of the despised conservative vote in this nation?

Apparently so

And now the conservatives will be punished because the illegal hispanics will no longer pay social security taxes to take care of the old white people (i.e. dying conservative population), as if payroil tax is a voluntary tax?

Message to RINO’s – the RINOs have the low birth rate, not the PALINs.

Wait til the next elections. People are madder than Hades at the arrogant SOBs that got them in this mess, and they are going to sink the entire RINO pig farm.

Keep lamabasting the conservative hicks. You ain’t seen nothing yet

entagor on November 27, 2008 at 2:31 AM

The rape of America continues, but now at a faster clip. Now we stop all that foolishness about border security and start subsidizing illegal immigrant health care while simultaneously losing our jobs to a failing economy while miraculously doing a 5 trillion dollar bailout of every mismanaged corporation in America and while our Social Security blanket erodes away to nothing. Socialism will be the simple answer and therefore Obama’s. Today guns are being bought and tomorrow, who knows, maybe Jefferson was right.

Ernest on November 27, 2008 at 11:08 AM

If Harry isn’t expecting much opposition, he must be planning on taking out talk radio first. He might want to think about taking down the internet,too before he tries it.

darwin-t on November 27, 2008 at 11:42 AM

The GOP’s demonization of hispanics (and gays for that matter) are a big reason it’s nearing extinction, at least the GOP Senators are starting to wise up……..

Noneya on November 25, 2008 at 3:46 PM

Can Liberals and Libertarians please STOP THIS and stop this now?

Advocating FOR secured borders and immigration laws enforcement is NOT a perspective of “hating Hispanics” nor is supporting marriage as between one man and one woman “hating gays”.

Your remark reflects the utterly primitive perspective that denies understanding of human differences of opinion.

And HOW is it that U.S. immigration and border security is somehow (in your mind, reflected in your remark) synonymous with “Hispanics”?

People from all over the world immigrate to the U.S. and the respectable ones do so legally. They all are not “Hispanics” and they all have their respective cultures and races and ethnicities.

Race and ethnic-baiting remarks such that attempt to continue to impune pro-border-security persons (especially in the GOP, among Republicans) are pitiful and, well, just plain old stupid.

S on November 27, 2008 at 1:01 PM

I agree that McCain’s amnesty position (as also held by McCain’s political companion, Lindsey Graham) represents, probably, about 75% of why there was little enthusiasm (to downright antagonism) about his candidacy for the Presidency.

He SAID he got the message. He didn’t. Not if what he discussed with Obama on this one-and-first-only momentous meeting was amnesty. It means McCain didn’t get any message except that he had to keep his real intentions quiet for the duration of his campaign. Otherwise, it appears he has not changed his intents or perspectives.

When McCain says, “they’re (illegal aliens) all God’s children,” he sounds sneaky, not respectful, as a public employee. Not everyone IS A U.S. CITIZEN nor is qualified to be one. Breaking into our nation and using the place illegally is not a basis for ANYone to qualify for U.S. citizenship, for starters. They are children of God, yes, but they’re not citizens and elected officials’ sliding the scale of definitions in these regards enforces the public distrust of what they’re ethically and intellectually about.

S on November 27, 2008 at 1:06 PM

I want my $800 bucks back (or however much $ I donated — I lost track) and the hours I lost making get out the vote phone calls for McCain/Palin. I respect him for his military service, but definitely not for his immigration policies.

Callie C. on November 29, 2008 at 9:12 PM

OMG This will lock the GOP out forever. When the time is right, we’d better get on the phones and make the calls to Washington. This will signal of the end of our country as we know it.

marklmail on December 1, 2008 at 11:06 AM