Huckabee: The only difference between me and Palin is that she looks better in stilettos

posted at 12:45 pm on November 24, 2008 by Allahpundit

I’m exaggerating. He also concedes that she has better hair.

Asked about Sarah Palin, he responded, “She, uh, was an appropriate choice, because she put John McCain back in the game.” That was the get-along answer, but a few minutes later the new, aggrieved Huckabee resurfaced. He recalled, “It was funny that all through the primary—I mean literally up until McCain got enough delegates to win—people said, ‘You know, Huckabee’s really running for Vice-President. Gee, Huckabee would be a great Vice-President.’ And from that day forward, when I actually was no longer running for President, nobody ever said, ‘Gee, Huckabee would be a great Vice-President.’ ” Neither was he quite so unperturbed by the Palin pick: “I was scratching my head, saying, ‘Hey, wait a minute. She’s wonderful, but the only difference was she looks better in stilettos than I do, and she has better hair.’ It wasn’t so much a gender issue, but it was like they suddenly decided that everything they disliked about me was O.K. . . . She was given a pass by some of the very people who said I wasn’t prepared.”

Er, what is the major difference between her and Huck, aside from the fact that he has much more executive experience than she does? He’s impeccably socially conservative; so is she. He’s questionable on amnesty; so is she. He’s prone to anti-Wall Street rhetoric aimed at pandering to blue-collar voters; so is she. The big rap on him is that he’s always seemed a tad too comfortable with regulation for Republican tastes, but he stridently opposed the bailout while she supported some form of intervention to avert another Great Depression. (She’s opposed to additional bailouts.) It can’t all come down to taxes, can it? The ‘Cuda’s record isn’t spotless there, either.

Some of this can be blamed on her being a good soldier during the campaign and trying to conform her message to Maverick’s, although of course that didn’t stop her from publicly disagreeing with him about ANWR and the federal marriage amendment — another big government, anti-federalist measure, albeit one which Huck also supports. The real difference, I think, is tone. Palin’s charm rests in her perceived authenticity whereas Huck’s guileless nice-guy persona is forever being undercut by sniping at Republican rivals and “innocent” misunderstandings that look suspiciously like sly, nasty attacks: The “Christian leader” ad, the musings about Jesus and Satan in Mormon doctrine, the press conference called to announce that he wouldn’t be airing a negative spot against Romney before promptly playing it for reporters. Above all, for a guy who’s famous for saying that he may be a conservative but he’s not mad about it, resentment figures heavily in his rhetoric: Class resentment, especially vis-a-vis Romney, political resentment at how Beltway Republicans have supposedly snubbed Christians, and even petty personal resentments about how colleagues like Palin have had an easier ride than he has. As likeable as he is onscreen, that bitterness and calculation is never far from my mind when I watch him.

But I digress. His suggestion that he and Palin are no different is false, but surely they’re not so different that one should be heralded as the second coming of Reagan while the other’s name is practically an epithet to huge swaths of our readership. Exit question: How’d that happen?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

This guy is the biggest media whore since Paris Hilton. Does he really think this HELPS him in any way?

joncoltonis on November 24, 2008 at 1:37 PM

I forget, isn’t Huckabee the brother of Satan or something like that?

jawbone on November 24, 2008 at 1:36 PM

No. That’s Newt.

LEBA on November 24, 2008 at 1:37 PM

highhopes on November 24, 2008 at 1:32 PM

I agree. Evangelicals are much more rational about most issues (including and especially religious tolerance) than Huckabee and people like him portray. Huckabee’s attacks on Mormonism were something for a theological debate, but even in that venue would be considered bad form.

Rob Taylor on November 24, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Parole for a rapist (Wayne DuMond) who was later convicted of killing a Missouri woman. He then claimed it was that other guy fault. “He made it obvious that he thought DuMond had gotten a raw deal and wanted us to take another look at it,” “Dear Wayne,” Huckabee wrote in a letter to Dumond. “My desire is that you be released from prison. I feel that parole is the best way for your reintroduction to society to take place.

In 2004, the Arkansas Board of Parole reviewed 77 clemency cases, and 74 of them were considered to be without merit. Included in the 74 cases considered to be without merit was the case of Glen Green. Governor Huckabee, at the time, rejected the Boards opinion and decided that he would grant Green Clemency. Eventually, pressure forced Huckabee to relent on his decision.

Who was Glen Green?

Green, a 22-year-old sergeant, kidnapped Helen Lynette Spencer on Little Rock Air Force Base, where he beat and kicked her as he tried to rape her in a secluded area. She broke loose and ran toward the barracks’ parking lot, where he caught up with her and beat her with a pair of nunchucks.
He then stuffed her into the trunk of his car and left her there while he cleaned up. Several hours later, he drove down Graham Road, past Loop Road and stopped near a bridge in Lonoke County. Green told investigators he put her body in the front seat and raped her because her body was still warm.
He dragged Spencer out of his vehicle and put her in front of the car and ran over her several times, going back and forth. He then collected himself long enough to dump her body in Twin Prairie Bayou.

This was the guy Huckabee wanted to release.

Here are the figures for neighboring states since 1996, when Huckabee took office (and keep in mind the population of these states is nearly 20 times ours):

>> Louisiana – 213.
>> Mississippi – 24.
>> Missouri – 79.
>> Oklahoma – 178.
>> Tennessee – 32.
>> Texas – 98 (in-cludes 36 inmates released because they were convicted on drug charges with planted evidence).

Total: 624 vs. Huckabee’s 703.

Governors in neighboring states almost never grant killers clemency, while Huckabee has commuted the sentences of a dozen murderers.
posted at 10:05 pm on December 5, 2007 by Allahpundit

Huckabee opposed a Republican lawmaker’s efforts in 2005 to require proof of legal status when applying for state services that aren’t federally mandated and proof of citizenship when registering to vote. Huckabee derided the bill as un-American and un-Christian and said the bill’s sponsor drank a different “Jesus juice.”

That same year, Huckabee failed in his effort to make children of illegal immigrants eligible for state-funded scholarships and in-state tuition to Arkansas colleges. At the time, Huckabee said he didn’t understand the opposition to it.

“It hurts me on a personal as well as a policy level to think that we are still debating issues that I kind of hoped we had put aside in the 1960s, maybe at the latest the ’70s, and yet I understand people have deep passions about things usually they don’t fully understand,” Huckabee said. If you need a quick translation Ignorant Racist Haters!

Judicial Watch Announces List of Washington’s “Ten Most Wanted Corrupt Politicians” for 2007
1. Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY):
2. Rep. John Conyers (D-MI):
3. Senator Larry Craig (R-ID):
4. Senator Diane Feinstein (D-CA):
5. Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R-NY):
6. Governor Mike Huckabee (R-AR):
7. I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby:
8. Senator Barack Obama (D-IL):
9. Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA):
10. Senator Harry Reid (D-NV):

I think you could argue these guys are non-partisan given the stature and identity of Democrats on this list. Funny, I don’t see Sarah Palin on any such list.

Huckabee does not accept responsible for the consequences of his policies or his actions. He’s a bible thumping McCain!

sharrukin on November 24, 2008 at 1:38 PM

that bitterness and calculation is never far from my mind when I watch him.

That is my takeaway from your article AP. There is a lot of Eddie Haskell in him. Ah, he’s such a nice boy, until he decides he’s not. He seems to think he can diffuse his pettiness and nastiness by being the little, personable angel when he wants to be. Phoney.

Mallard T. Drake on November 24, 2008 at 1:38 PM

What does Palin bring to the ticket, substantively, that Huck doesn’t?

Allahpundit on November 24, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Hugh Hefner thinks Mike Huckabee is ready to be President.

My collie says:

We rest our case, your honor.

CyberCipher on November 24, 2008 at 1:38 PM

We can’t forget Huckster’s softness on crime either… I did extensive research on him in the primaries, and everything I read about his history in Arkansas turned me off bigtime. Anyone who wants to give rapists second chances is not a law and order conservative in my book. And, as everyone else on here has already pointed out, Huckabee was very divisive and whiney and back-stabbing in the primary. I am not sure if Palin is my candidate for 2012, but I certainly know that Huck will NEVER be my candidate. He is truly (as Fred pointed out) a pro-life liberal. And a dirty, nasty one at that. I can’t imagine Sarah acting the way that Huckabee has toward her republican opponents. And I want someone who will call the dems out, not play kissy face with them the way Huckabee seems to do. When is my party ever going to learn that being nice to and working with the dems is NOT going to help us win elections? We need an attack dog who will point out what the media never will about the dems. This whole financial crisis should NEVER have been laid at the feet of the republicans. The dems treat us like dirt, yet we always seem willing to be their friends. It makes me want to scream. I want a TRUE conservative who isn’t afraid to point out why we have the better answers to this country’s issues.

squeek71 on November 24, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Huckabee GO AWAY.

You are toxic to our cause.

Geochelone on November 24, 2008 at 1:39 PM

The sad part is, the Huckster is so blind he’s seriously asking this question- “Hey, why not me? Why don’t you like me???”

cs89 on November 24, 2008 at 1:21 PM

No, the sad part is that there are people out there that can’t see the differences between the two. This whole thread is based on the flawed premise that there isn’t one bit of difference between Palin and Huckabee. That simply isn’t true and it doesn’t come down to “tone” either.

highhopes on November 24, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Huck is the new McCain. Whatever good happens with the Republicans in the next 10 years, Huck will be there to try and ruin it.

Jim-Rose on November 24, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Amen, and let’s not let him do it. The media will decide he’s what’s best for our party “now” and then 3 years from now, (right before the 12 elections) tell us that he’s, McSame, too religious, 90 percent Bush or take your pick. Let’s take charge of our party!

hawkdriver on November 24, 2008 at 1:39 PM

I know he’s not Catholic, but is there any way we can get him to a monestary and take a vow of silence for 8 years or so? Is that too much to ask?

Hollowpoint on November 24, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Palin for prez 2012
Huckabee for cabinet post if he is a good boy

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on November 24, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Man, these are crazy times, no? Before this Huck was talking about the “free ride” Palin had. Is it just me, or is his swatting at Sarah a loser with most conservatives? Just who is this man trying to impress?

littleguy on November 24, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Exit question: How’d that happen?

Did you know Mitt Romney was a Mormon?

Huck is an insufferably arrogant twit who preaches class warfare and breaks Reagan’s 11th commandment as often as possible, inside and outside of primaries, inside and outside of political campaigns.

Sarah Palin, in contrast, is nice to everyone, even people who really don’t deserve it, like Alec and her doppleganger Fey.

Maturity, in a word. Huck fries squirrels, Palin shoots moose.

To put it in Huckspeak: Nobody likes an &^$hole, Charlotte.

BKennedy on November 24, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Man, what’s with all the Huck-hatred going on here? Jeez, I like the guy and I agree that policy-wise Sarah and Huck are very similar. Huck’s alright. He’s not for everybody but I don’t get all this rabid disdain for him.

Guardian on November 24, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Exit question: How’d that happen?

You answered your own question in the previous paragraph. Compare the litany of slights by Huck against fellow Republicans, chronicled in that paragraph, with the absence thereof on Sarah’s side. I am not a spokesperson for any other poster here, but it seems to me that many here are just tired of him lashing out at others within his own party. Now we have a sexist remark to add to his previous ones. Whatever substantive message Huck may have for improving this country is getting drowned out by these petty attacks. When will this ever stop?

OneVision on November 24, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Huckabee is acting an awful lot like McCain.

The press likes him so he thinks the whole danged world likes him.

He will be in for quite a shock if he ever runs for POTUS again. He made many times more enemies than admirers this year.

Elizabetty on November 24, 2008 at 1:51 PM

You’re making Huckabee’s point for him, though. Most voters don’t care about any of that drama. What does Palin bring to the ticket, substantively, that Huck doesn’t?

Allahpundit on November 24, 2008 at 1:18 PM

For somebody like me who is a non-religious, socially-moderate, fiscal conservative, this does make a difference. I can respect candidates who are religious, but I will not vote for them if I think they want to impose their religion on me, or are bigoted towards other religions.

When Palin discusses religion, I don’t get that vibe.

Huckabee makes my skin crawl (particularly the stuff he said about Romney), and I would never vote for him.

vermillionsky on November 24, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Huck’s just jealous that someone found a lower common denomitor than he did. He thought he owned the idiot niche.

LevStrauss on November 24, 2008 at 1:52 PM

O/T:
The “Hannity & Colmes Show” will become “Hannity Without Insanity” next year.

Right_of_Attila on November 24, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Exit question: How’d that happen?

Immigration, taxes, and too much populist rhetoric. Each of the afore mentioned issues are antithetical to large swaths of the Republican base. If Huck replaced his populism with informed economic theory he would have been much more popular. If he came clean on his tax record, the issue would have dropped by the wayside. And just admit to his squishiness on immigration people could hear what he was saying even if they disagreed with them.

Theworldisnotenough on November 24, 2008 at 1:54 PM

He’s a religious bigot that, as sharrukin pointed out is willing to forgive rapists and murderers, give tuition to the children of illegal aliens, etc. Why would anyone on the right not disdain him.

Is Palin pro-amnesty for rapists? Was Palin giving people religious litmus tests for being in the GOP? Their differences are stark unless you think these things are unimportant. I like rape/murder convicts executed, my government silent on whose religion is “true” and my officials not looking to rewarded and encourage illegal immigration. Huckabee fails on all those issues, Palin does not.

Rob Taylor on November 24, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Yes, and she also knows how to skin a moose….!

DL13 on November 24, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Huck’s son got a Scout merit badge for hanging a dog. Does that count?

chunderroad on November 24, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Right_of_Attila on November 24, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Good one! I wonder who will replace Colmes?????

sherry on November 24, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Huck, we already have enough of this stuff with Larry Craig and Barney Frank, and others, but thanks for the wretched image. And stay out of your wife’s closet.
Do you know another difference? Sarah Palin is back in Alaska working, not running around to journalists whining.

right2bright on November 24, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Good one! I wonder who will replace Colmes?????

sherry on November 24, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Kirsten Powers…logical first choice.
Cindy Sheehan would be my choice, just to remind the liberals who they are really like.

right2bright on November 24, 2008 at 1:58 PM

More sour grapes over the failed campaign of Mittens. Or Dud Thompson maybe, AP?

litebrite on November 24, 2008 at 1:58 PM

litebrite on November 24, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Show me how Fred’s “campaign” was failed, his honeymoon date got the nomination right? He split the vote enough to put McCain over the top in the early states, right? Seems like Fred was on target.

LevStrauss on November 24, 2008 at 2:00 PM

right2bright on November 24, 2008 at 1:58 PM

I bet you are right. Powers makes sense. I hope and pray it isn’t Bob Beckel.

sherry on November 24, 2008 at 2:01 PM

The real difference between Palin and Huck is character. She has it; he doesn’t.

You can tell how each has handled defeat. She has done it with grace, strength and humor.

He has responded with whiny, petty, self-absorbed backbiting.

Wethal on November 24, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Let see, she has opposed corruption at risk to her own career even against her own party when necessary… and so has… nobody.

She has vetoed a bill that matched her personal desires; on the basis that the State Constitution overruled her whim… and so has… nobody.

“The scariest thing Mike Huckabee said is that the Constitution should be changed in order to bring it in line with God’s standards.”

Huckabee… and so has… nobody.

Somehow I’m not seeing a lot of ways to confuse the two; even if I’m not allowed to focus on appearances.

Palin, anti-corruption conservative, humble, willing to follow the rules even if it goes against her wishes.

Huckabee, egotistical windbag, willing to change or ignore the rules to get his way; excessively jerky to opposition in a passive-aggressive whiny manner.

Was there some way I was supposed to confuse the adult and the child? Which one has spent the past few weeks whining that he didn’t get his way again? Yeah, so not Palin huh?

Even though her loss was recent and Huckabee lost quite some time ago and still hasn’t figured out how to let it go and move forward?

Yeah, really similar; except for all those huge differences.

gekkobear on November 24, 2008 at 2:02 PM

5. Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R-NY):
6. Governor Mike Huckabee (R-AR):
7. I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby:
8. Senator Barack Obama (D-IL):
9. Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA):
10. Senator Harry Reid (D-NV):

He’s a bible thumping McCain!
sharrukin on November 24, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Is that list for real? Huckabee was a fool on pardons and endangered his neighbors

I agree about the McCain analogy

The media will decide he’s what’s best for our party “now” and then 3 years from nowhawkdriver on November 24, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Yep they made Huck by laying off him during the primaries. A useful idiot is what they made him

Hollowpoint on November 24, 2008 at 1:39 PM

heh

NO, Rupert Murdoch needs him for something or other

entagor on November 24, 2008 at 2:03 PM

“Do the Right Thing” Huck and think before you speak!

MestizoMaverick on November 24, 2008 at 2:04 PM

I’ve got a pretty easy way to reconcile the differences between Palin and Huckabee: both of them suck.

DO. NOT. WANT.

I just want them to go away. It isn’t so much that I have someone else in mind as much as it is that I don’t have them in mind. Not really sure who should be the nominee in 2012… But neither of them is really conservative on anything but social issues, they’ll blurt out ‘lower taxes’ but they don’t grasp why, they just don’t have economic conservatism down.

And it isn’t like I hate social cons, I’m a Christian and a very conservative one at that, but Jesus isn’t going to come back because we elect Huck or Palin…

John_Locke on November 24, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Mike Huckabee gets more media attention than Sarah Palin.

benny shakar on November 24, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Yes I agree that the life amendment and the marriage amendment are stupid and scary proprosals.

LevStrauss on November 24, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Huckabee Derangement Syndrome alive and well at Hotair. You folks really should be nicer to your next President.

jparks1972 on November 24, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Allahpundit on November 24, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Its not what Palin brings but Huck doesn’t, its what Huck brings that Palin doesn’t.
Soft on crime, intrusive government, isolationist foreign policy, “fair tax” worship.
These are the reasons why, after giving Huck a second look on seeing his debate performance, I went back to supporting Rudy.

Count to 10 on November 24, 2008 at 2:08 PM

jparks1972 on November 24, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Berry is our “next” president, but I really don’t think Huck is such a good choice for the one after that.

Count to 10 on November 24, 2008 at 2:09 PM

All I hear from Huckabee is “Wah wah wah! Why didn’t anyone pick me?”

Badger40 on November 24, 2008 at 2:10 PM

entagor on November 24, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Sadly, the list is real.

Marine_Bio on November 24, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Man, what’s with all the Huck-hatred going on here? He’s not for everybody but I don’t get all this rabid disdain for him.
Guardian on November 24, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Woe upon ye who feel the wrath of Palin fanboys!

benny shakar on November 24, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Oy. Someone get me a Hucket. I think I’m going to upHuck all over my Huckin’ keyboard.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 24, 2008 at 2:12 PM

BKennedy on November 24, 2008 at 1:43 PM

+100

Bingo, big time. In a squirrel’s nutshell exactly.

beatcanvas on November 24, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Marine_Bio on November 24, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Hey, at least the President-Elect is 4 spots lower than Huck……….so that’s somethin’.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 24, 2008 at 2:14 PM

“Huckabee Derangement Syndrome alive and well at Hotair. You folks really should be nicer to your next President”
Stop it. Huck des it to himself.

davod on November 24, 2008 at 2:15 PM

huck isnt fooling anyone…….. hes a bitter
little man. go palin go.

tamtam20 on November 24, 2008 at 2:15 PM

1. Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY):
2. Rep. John Conyers (D-MI):
3. Senator Larry Craig (R-ID):
4. Senator Diane Feinstein (D-CA):
5. Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R-NY):
6. Governor Mike Huckabee (R-AR):
7. I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby:
8. Senator Barack Obama (D-IL):
9. Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA):
10. Senator Harry Reid (D-NV):
sharrukin on November 24, 2008 at 1:38 PM

I don’t trust this list–where’s Murtha? Or Frank? Or Bird? They are all considered less corrupt than someone who isn’t in government anymore?

Count to 10 on November 24, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Palin happens to be sexy. Huckabee happens to be a sexist.

The Race Card on November 24, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Right_of_Attila on November 24, 2008 at 1:53 PM

We should really see if he needs help packing!

highhopes on November 24, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Oh good lord. Stop whining!

CP on November 24, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Count to 10 on November 24, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Not to mention William Jefferson!

highhopes on November 24, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Go away Huck.

exdeadhead on November 24, 2008 at 2:20 PM

gekkobear on November 24, 2008 at 2:02 PM

ihasurnominashun on November 24, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Just quit asking the dumb arse what he thinks, ok?

He’s absolutely petty and has a ZERO shot in the future.

Oink on November 24, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Count to 10 on November 24, 2008 at 2:16 PM

It probably has to do with the amount of money involved in the corruption.

Elizabetty on November 24, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Sadly, the list is real.

Marine_Bio on November 24, 2008 at 2:12 PM

And utterly superficial, I see. The reasoning seems based on anecdotal news reports. Craig is there solely for the bathroom incident, not for any actual corruption, and Rudy is there because of that stink about who payed the bills for his protection while he was having his affair.

Count to 10 on November 24, 2008 at 2:21 PM

benny shakar on November 24, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Benny, go Huck yourself.

hawkdriver on November 24, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 24, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Yeah, but what? I would need to see more than they put on the web page, because the cynical side of me interprets it as an indicator of how well each politician is hiding their skeletons.

For example, I think the only reason Hillary was #1 was because the press actually did its job in laying the dirty laundry in front of the public during the lead up to the presidential run. My gut opinon is that Pelosi should probably be higher than they placed her, but she has always been a master at making profits in ways that are hidden from the public eye.

I also suspect that Obama is a master at hiding things.

Marine_Bio on November 24, 2008 at 2:24 PM

jparks1972 on November 24, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Hopefully advances to medical science will find a cure for Alzheimer’s Disease.

LevStrauss on November 24, 2008 at 2:24 PM

I also suspect that Obama is a master at hiding things.

Marine_Bio on November 24, 2008 at 2:24 PM

He did come from Chicago, didn’t he?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 24, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Woe upon ye who feel the wrath of Palin fanboys!

benny shakar on November 24, 2008 at 2:12 PM

PS I hucking laugh in the face of any Dear Leader “WORSHIPPER” who makes fun of conservatives even daring to defend Governor Palin. Go back to your Obamagogue.

hawkdriver on November 24, 2008 at 2:26 PM

And utterly superficial…

Count to 10 on November 24, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Yup. That’s the sad part.

Marine_Bio on November 24, 2008 at 2:26 PM

The difference: Huckabee attacks other Republicans. Palin doesn’t.

Abby Adams on November 24, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Exit question: How’d that happen?

Palin’s a pretty girl. Obviously.

(Kathleen Parker wasn’t that far off.)

Enrique on November 24, 2008 at 2:28 PM

He did come from Chicago, didn’t he?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 24, 2008 at 2:25 PM

touché

Marine_Bio on November 24, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Wow. How could this man inspire anymore loathing in me? Huckabee is the quintessential arrogant politician.

Smells like Nixon.

StartinOver on November 24, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Sadly, the list is real.

Marine_Bio on November 24, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Count to 10 on November 24, 2008 at 2:21 PM

The point isn’t the exact ranking, or who is so corrupt that they should beat out this or that guy.

The point is that Sarah Palin isn’t even in the running for ‘Most Corrupt 2007′ award!

sharrukin on November 24, 2008 at 2:40 PM

“Oh, and she actually governs as a conservative, but that doesn’t matter since Americans like socialists.”

Jaibones on November 24, 2008 at 2:41 PM

….He has a TV show and she is just looking to start one.

Sick of seeing both of them on TV…

lexhamfox on November 24, 2008 at 2:43 PM

The only difference between me and Palin is that she looks better in stilettos

Senator Larry Craig (R-ID) begs to differ.

benny shakar on November 24, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Huckabee should try to be a man about losing in the primaries. He could take some pointers on that from Sarah Palin.

sharrukin on November 24, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Jerry Springer without the backhair.

whitetop on November 24, 2008 at 2:54 PM

From the 2006 Cato Institute reprort card on governors:

Arkansas
Mike Huckabee, Republican Legislature: Democratic
Final-Term Grade: F
Final Overall Grade: D

Thanks to a final term grade of F, Huckabee earns an overall grade of D for his entire governorship. Like many Republicans, his grades dropped the longer he stayed in office. In his first few years, he fought hard for a sweeping $70 million tax cut package that was the first broad-based tax cut in the state in more than 20 years. He even signed a bill to cut the state’s 6 percent capital gains tax—a significant progrowth accomplishment. But nine days after being reelected in 2002, he proposed a sales tax increase to cover a budget deficit caused partly by large spending increases that he proposed and approved, including an expansion in Medicare eligibility that Huckabee made a centerpiece of his 1997 agenda. He agreed to a 3 percent income tax “surcharge” and a 25-cent cigarette tax increase. In response to a court order to increase spending on education, Huckabee proposed another sales tax increase. Huckabee wants to run for the GOP presidential nomination next year. He’s already been hailed as a viable big-government conservative candidate by some. That seems about right: Huckabee’s leadership has left taxpayers in Arkansas much worse off.

Would you like some taxes with those taxes?

No differences between Huckabee and Palin?

Really?

I can see a few right off the bat about size and responsibility of government, plus there is always this part about fighting a corrupt political machine. Which one fought a corrupt Republican party and went after wasteful spending? That wasn’t Huckabee. He backed away from fiscal conservatism and decided to trash it and become a free spending, big government Republican. He became part of the fiscally irresponsible cohort of Republicans, which is still a problem for the party as a whole. There are vast differences in how Palin and Huckabee view government’s role and responsibilities, and for anyone to equate the two as equal, save for gender, is trying to gloss over his record and demean hers. He has demonstrated that he didn’t keep to fiscal conservatism save for when he thought it would get him some votes, and when he decided it was irrelevent, he spent taxpayer money freely, for which the taxpayers had to pay.

Address his record, not talking points. The differences are more than just skin deep and they matter.

ajacksonian on November 24, 2008 at 2:57 PM

sharrukin on November 24, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Ah, well, I don’t really care to defend Huckabee much. Just kind of a reflex action on seeing Rudy on the list.

Count to 10 on November 24, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Huckabee: snakeoil salesmanlike, pseudo-conservative, whining, backstabbing, attention-whoring, pathetic little criminal-pardoning, big government loving weasel.

Palin: Conservative to the core, lives out her principles. Always optimistic, cheerful. Charismatic. Reagan in a skirt.

End of story.

Norwegian on November 24, 2008 at 2:58 PM

benny shakar on November 24, 2008 at 2:49 PM

I thought you had gotten the banhammer, but that’s pretty funny.

Abby Adams on November 24, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Palin used to have big hair.

Jabba-the-Huckabee used to be a big fat tub of goo.

GrayLoess on November 24, 2008 at 3:16 PM

What Norwegian said. Plus I’m not sure how much in the way of Palin’s positions derive from her obligatory support of the top of the ticket during the election, albeit with a bit of fighting and kicking.

I don’t like Huck much but I certainly don’t hate him like some seem to. It just seems that Palin has far more potential and a magnetism I don’t feel from Huckabee. She seems like the real McCoy. It’s a little like saying, “What’s the difference between John Wayne and Brad Pitt — they both played cowboys in some of their roles? Yeah, right.”

Oh, and the media and establishment liberals of both parties absolutely despise Palin. That scores a couple dozen points right there imo.

DaMav on November 24, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Huckahu Akbahr strikes AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone needs to send him a memo that he is OUT as far as most of WE of the Evangelical stripe are concerned. The attacks on Mitt and all that has been mentioned regarding his REAL record in Arkansas should and would keep most normal people from attempting a second run at POTUS! Is he smoking crack or something? Like Palin? Whatever!

But it is true both of them have WAY TOO MUCH populism in them.

Huck, you are a schmuck, and get lost is not nearly strong enough language to convey how even the Evangelical wing of the party feels about you! You are a lying, back stabbing, weasel and I would not trust you or anyone around you to be the local dog catcher! UGH! Will he ever go away?

freeus on November 24, 2008 at 3:17 PM

I read this in the article supposedly showing Palin’s “spotty record” on fiscal conservatism:

Until a few years ago, the state government struggled financially for years because of low oil prices. But that’s all changed. In the first two budget years under Palin, the state government has stashed almost $6 billion of surplus revenues in various reserve and savings accounts in anticipation of future drops in the price of oil. And the state has allocated another $4 billion over two years for a laundry list of new capital projects, mostly small grants initiated in budget requests by legislators for their districts.

Please explain how saving for the future is not fiscally conservative? She did use some of the surplus to:

…to reduce the state’s unfunded pension liability, increase education funding, establish a revenue-sharing fund for local governments, and help residents with home weatherization and energy costs. Alaska has also suspended for a year its 8-cent-a-gallon tax on gasoline….

“There’s huge pressure to do all these things because we have this revenue,” said Karen J. Rehfeld, director of the governor’s Office of Management and Budget. “But the governor is still trying to stick to her goals; she still wants to slow the growth of government and be efficient…She’s been very consistent about that.”

A challenge, Rehfeld said, is to balance spending controls against “providing some of the significant infrastructure needed for this state. We’re still a young state and a lot of work needs to be done.”

There’s a reason why Alaska is not included in those think tank studies of which governor is more fiscally conservative. They always exclude Alaska because the state’s financial set up is so different from the rest of the states. They’re like an Arctic oil fiefdom up there. It’s difficult to make correlations between what Palin did up there and what we have on a federal level. But from what I can tell, she made prudent even-handed decisions considering that the state was scaling back on its federal pork requests, was still in need of the sort of infrastructure and other funding requirements expected of a young state, and was also experiencing record oil revenue profits.

ramrocks on November 24, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Too try raise yourself by tearing others down only lowers everyone. A real leader recognizes others talents and bring the best out of them. This is at least what I look for in a leader.

lwssdd on November 24, 2008 at 3:19 PM

benny shakar on November 24, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Is Bunny Shaker still here?

portlandon on November 24, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Obviously the fact that she has conservative credientials was a big thing, but Salter has said in a couple of places that the what set her apart for McCain was that she ran as a reformer then actually tried to govern that way. Whether or not you agree that McCain is really a reformer, I think he saw her as a kindred spirit.

the second coming of Reagan

I think that perception has much more to do with her persona than her conservatism: she’s magnetic, telegenic, a communicator, cheerful, etc.

meltenn on November 24, 2008 at 3:48 PM

CHARLATAN AND FAKE CONSERVATIVE

ReaganConservative3 on November 24, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Will somebody tell this guy to STFU already!
Everytime I see his face, it makes me want to put an ice pick through my skull.

HornetSting on November 24, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Ugh. Every time he opens his mouth I feel like I need a shower with whatever soap cuts snake oil the best.

EyeSurgeon on November 24, 2008 at 4:02 PM

gekkobear on November 24, 2008 at 2:02 PM

gekkobear on November 24, 2008 at 2:02 PM

ihasurnominashun on November 24, 2008 at 2:20 PM

silverfox on November 24, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Huck, have you no basic knowledge of human anatomy, or is there something you want to tell us? C’mon, let it out, you’ll feel better, it’s a much more accepting world now.

TeeDee on November 24, 2008 at 4:09 PM

And maybe the 7 million dollar book deal that people will actually BUY, unlike Huck’s book.

Yeah that about says it all.

upinak on November 24, 2008 at 1:20 PM

and if Palin wrote a book she wouldn’t need to push it the way Huck has done … and I doubt she will be throwing anybody under the bus in it as well

The Huckster only got by because he was able to crack a few jokes in the debates and then he stayed in long enough to destroy Romney

the dude is like John Edwards … he is just a fake

joey24007 on November 24, 2008 at 4:13 PM

ramrocks on November 24, 2008 at 3:19 PM

As the Governor of Alaska the biggest things you can do to show fiscal conservatism is cutting the budget … which is what she has done

and more importantly, do not allow the legislature to go on a spending spree when the oil revenues jump due to the price of oil …. she has not allowed that spending spree to happen

so she is doing just find as a fiscal conservative

joey24007 on November 24, 2008 at 4:16 PM

“Merry Christmas” — Mike Huckabee

Translation: Hey, have ya noticed how not everybody says “Merry Christmas” to each other these days? How have we lost our way as a nation? Does it make ya mad? Well, look at me. I’m not afraid to say those two simple little words: Merry Christmas. Let’s get back to where we were, when most people said “Merry Christmas” to each other even if they do feel obliged to do it. Because that is our heritage and we need to acknowledge that.

“Merry Christmas” — Sarah Palin

Translation: Hey, if Christmas is part of your life, y’ know, part of your deal… Have a happy one!

silverfox on November 24, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Huckabee/Palin 2012 BABY!!!! Barack WHO??

marklmail on November 24, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Huckabee= http://www.clubforgrowth.org/images/Huckabee-RINO-button.jpg

portlandon on November 24, 2008 at 4:21 PM

The image of Huck in stilettos is a visual that I DID NOT need. (sigh)

worlok on November 24, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Huckabee hatred is white collar crime on Christian conservativism

He and She are so similiar–but she is attractive and sold well to middle America so she got a pass–that an it was the only hope for McCain

John The Baptist on November 24, 2008 at 4:23 PM

John The Baptist on November 24, 2008 at 4:23 PM

BULL. Huckabee is a Republican. Sarah Palin is a Conservative. There is a big difference. In the eyes of God they are the same. In the church pews they are the same. They govern VERY differently.

portlandon on November 24, 2008 at 4:25 PM

John The Baptist on November 24, 2008 at 4:23 PM

um … no that similar

Huckabee was not even close to a fiscal conservative

I think Jon Corzine is more conservative than him

joey24007 on November 24, 2008 at 4:26 PM

the dude is like John Edwards … he is just a fake

joey24007 on November 24, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Palin is going to get a heck of alot more for her memoirs than CHuckles could ever hope for.

As for destroying Romney, I don’t think that Mittens acted as anymore of an adult during the campaign than CHuckles did. Both should go back to the kiddies table and throw food at each other while the grownups discuss important matters.

Illinidiva on November 24, 2008 at 4:29 PM