Huckabee: The only difference between me and Palin is that she looks better in stilettos

posted at 12:45 pm on November 24, 2008 by Allahpundit

I’m exaggerating. He also concedes that she has better hair.

Asked about Sarah Palin, he responded, “She, uh, was an appropriate choice, because she put John McCain back in the game.” That was the get-along answer, but a few minutes later the new, aggrieved Huckabee resurfaced. He recalled, “It was funny that all through the primary—I mean literally up until McCain got enough delegates to win—people said, ‘You know, Huckabee’s really running for Vice-President. Gee, Huckabee would be a great Vice-President.’ And from that day forward, when I actually was no longer running for President, nobody ever said, ‘Gee, Huckabee would be a great Vice-President.’ ” Neither was he quite so unperturbed by the Palin pick: “I was scratching my head, saying, ‘Hey, wait a minute. She’s wonderful, but the only difference was she looks better in stilettos than I do, and she has better hair.’ It wasn’t so much a gender issue, but it was like they suddenly decided that everything they disliked about me was O.K. . . . She was given a pass by some of the very people who said I wasn’t prepared.”

Er, what is the major difference between her and Huck, aside from the fact that he has much more executive experience than she does? He’s impeccably socially conservative; so is she. He’s questionable on amnesty; so is she. He’s prone to anti-Wall Street rhetoric aimed at pandering to blue-collar voters; so is she. The big rap on him is that he’s always seemed a tad too comfortable with regulation for Republican tastes, but he stridently opposed the bailout while she supported some form of intervention to avert another Great Depression. (She’s opposed to additional bailouts.) It can’t all come down to taxes, can it? The ‘Cuda’s record isn’t spotless there, either.

Some of this can be blamed on her being a good soldier during the campaign and trying to conform her message to Maverick’s, although of course that didn’t stop her from publicly disagreeing with him about ANWR and the federal marriage amendment — another big government, anti-federalist measure, albeit one which Huck also supports. The real difference, I think, is tone. Palin’s charm rests in her perceived authenticity whereas Huck’s guileless nice-guy persona is forever being undercut by sniping at Republican rivals and “innocent” misunderstandings that look suspiciously like sly, nasty attacks: The “Christian leader” ad, the musings about Jesus and Satan in Mormon doctrine, the press conference called to announce that he wouldn’t be airing a negative spot against Romney before promptly playing it for reporters. Above all, for a guy who’s famous for saying that he may be a conservative but he’s not mad about it, resentment figures heavily in his rhetoric: Class resentment, especially vis-a-vis Romney, political resentment at how Beltway Republicans have supposedly snubbed Christians, and even petty personal resentments about how colleagues like Palin have had an easier ride than he has. As likeable as he is onscreen, that bitterness and calculation is never far from my mind when I watch him.

But I digress. His suggestion that he and Palin are no different is false, but surely they’re not so different that one should be heralded as the second coming of Reagan while the other’s name is practically an epithet to huge swaths of our readership. Exit question: How’d that happen?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

More Huckabee, huh?

Zzzzz.

Good Lt on November 24, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Over-under on this thread since Palin has been mentioned is 400.

thomasaur on November 24, 2008 at 12:49 PM

Mike–Dunno. Don’t care.

vinman on November 24, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Huck I supported you during the primaries and even have an account on HucksArmy, but for goodness sake, please SHUT THE HELL UP for a while.

YellowDawg on November 24, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Huck is the new McCain. Whatever good happens with the Republicans in the next 10 years, Huck will be there to try and ruin it.

Jim-Rose on November 24, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Well, one difference not mentioned is that one of them doesn’t spend hours talking about how wonderful they are.

Vashta.Nerada on November 24, 2008 at 12:51 PM

I hope some of Palin’s rhetoric on the trail was just trying to match McCain’s message. Another thing she has going for her that Huck doesn’t is energy.

In fact, we’ll be more dependant on foreign oil in 4 years than we are today, in part because the recession is making demand so low right now. That uniquely positions Palin for 2012.

BadgerHawk on November 24, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Exit question: How’d that happen?

His campaign behavior was reprehensible. Hers was not.

James on November 24, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Okay – that was an ugly picture – Thanks!

Huck ol’ son – there are more than just a few things that are different between Palin and you. Starting – she’s likable, and continues to be so.

She is also electable (for whatever that means this morning) and you, sir are not.

Primarily because you tend to be an ass. A decent sort of ass, but an ass nonetheless.

kybowexar on November 24, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Not so different? Huckabee is a con man. While on paper their views may be similar, it’s obvious that Huckabee wraps himself in them in a “wolf in sheeps clothing” way while Palin actually lives what she says.

Skywise on November 24, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Why can’t this guy just go away? I can’t believe FNS gave him a TV show…

Wyznowski on November 24, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Jim-Rose on November 24, 2008 at 12:50 PM

I agree. Huckabaloney has to go.

bill30097 on November 24, 2008 at 12:53 PM

I wondered that myself, AP. I liked Huck, I like Palin. Both have charisma, both have questionable, ah, gravitas. I liked Huck’s conservatism, and most of the party does, unless it’s Huck defending it, when it suddenly becomes identity politics and pro-life liberalism, or Christian socialism, etc etc.

And is the FairTax really socialism?

I want someone who hits the same notes as these two, albeit with better small-government bona fides. Where do I go? Jindal?

bcm4134 on November 24, 2008 at 12:53 PM

dude you do realize that she had to mirror almost all of mac’s positions during the campaign?? It was easier to publicly disagree with him on ANWR because almost every republican is strongly in her camp on that issue. She also knows this issue better than probably any politician in the country.

ousoonerfan15 on November 24, 2008 at 12:53 PM

No, difference is that Huck wears his religion on his sleeve…

Palin practices her religion…

Big difference….

Huck IMO would be another Compassionate Conservative….

Palin would be a more Fiscal Conservative…

Big difference…

If he can’t see those differences, he is in denial, and is part of the problem.

Romeo13 on November 24, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Palin radiates a sunny optimism that is reminiscent of Reagan (even when she’s on the attack), while Huck exudes a passive-aggressive faux innocence that rankles.

aero on November 24, 2008 at 12:53 PM

I think she was a good sport conforming to McCain more than we think– just gut and anecdotal evidence talking from me (ie, Laura Ingraham said she was good on immigration when she talked to her in person before the McCain nod, but she, Palin, stayed away from the subject and parroted McCain when asked about it on the campaign), and I could be totally wrong.

That said, wasn’t Huck a little squishy foreign-policy-wise? I never got that from Sarah– she was very stay-on-offense, and I believe Huck called Bush’s WOT strategy “arrogant”– right?

Pasalubong on November 24, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Slow news day, AP? Nothing gets the troops riled like comparing Huck to Governor Palin. I predict 300 plus comments.

a capella on November 24, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Exit question: How’d that happen?

Most REAL conservatives are NOT rabid elitist Christians who want religious bigotry injected into the campaign. Then Huckabigot went on to play the class warfare card against Mitt. It is people like Mitt who create jobs and Huckabigot made him look like a greedy corporate type. There is a price to pay for that and Huckabigot is going to pay it in conservative support.

csdeven on November 24, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Huck is a nanny stater, Palin is not. He also harps on religion, Palin does not.

Pablo on November 24, 2008 at 12:55 PM

I was back in the States last week and saw Huck’s show on Fox. I think he’d look sexier than Palin in stilettos, but there were no leg shots.

DarkCurrent on November 24, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Huck really doesnt know how to handle working with people. I wish he had as much venum for democrats as he does for GOPers.

Will be interesting to see who emerges for the run in 2012. If I was Palin I would avoid Iowa dont see it as a good state for her. Huck would win there easily. But New Hampshire is as difficult as well. Neither state is a good Red state anymore. That is why McCain jumped to the front this last election. There really needs to be a better way to set up the GOP primaries to give a good conservative a chance.

William Amos on November 24, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Yes, and she also knows how to skin a moose….!

DL13 on November 24, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Nice post Allah…that was a blizzard of links! Huckabee brings very little to the ticket…no nat sec creds, no fiscal creds at all, just more bipartanship, and social conservatism….he just doesn’t do it for me. His sniping of Romney/Palin/Mac is just classless.

hippie_chucker on November 24, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Huckabee has presented himself in action as a bigoted jerk. Sarah has yet to weigh in on those credentials.

joeinmo on November 24, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Huck won’t be happy until he completely torpedoes Palin. Then, it gets funny when he is persona non grata, and a Romney or Sanford walks in and takes the next nomination.

Vashta.Nerada on November 24, 2008 at 12:56 PM

csdeven on November 24, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Elitist Christians?

Religious Bigotry?

WTH???

Shouldn’t you be wearing leather chaps and holding up a anti Prop-8 sign somewhere in L.A.?

YellowDawg on November 24, 2008 at 12:56 PM

The scariest thing Mike Huckabee said is that the Constitution should be changed in order to bring it in line with God’s standards.

Mike Huckabee and only Mike Huckabee would ever utter such a truly creepy sentence.

Zetterson on November 24, 2008 at 12:56 PM

aero on November 24, 2008 at 12:53 PM

I dunno, for most of the campaign, I’d have said that about Huck too.

I guess my point is not how great Huck is, my point is I don’t understand why people hated him from the get-go, before some of the ugliness surfaced.

I believe R. S. McCain wrote an article for the Spectator asking the same question.

bcm4134 on November 24, 2008 at 12:56 PM

He has figured out that each and every time he mentions Sarah’s name, he gets press. Otherwise, he remains a footnote on a slow news day.

sherry on November 24, 2008 at 12:57 PM

As with Palin.

crr6 on November 24, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Hmmm. Huckabee in stilettos. What do you think collie?

My collie says:

Maybe if we dressed him in one of those Victoria’s Secret runway outfits he’d have broader appeal.

CyberCipher on November 24, 2008 at 12:57 PM

a capella on November 24, 2008 at 12:54 PM

The over-under is 400.

thomasaur on November 24, 2008 at 12:58 PM

and she’s not an annoying bastage who must thrust themselves into the spotlight at every opportunity… oh and she could win an election.

Kaptain Amerika on November 24, 2008 at 12:58 PM

I hate this man.

clnurnberg on November 24, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Think he’s just being Huck and cannot take him seriously. Perhaps it was an attempt at tongue in cheek humor. Either way, not worth worrying about.

jeanie on November 24, 2008 at 12:59 PM

a capella on November 24, 2008 at 12:54 PM

I’ll see your 300 and raise you another 400 as soon as someone plays the “atheist” card.

“The truest form of conservatism rejects religion based politics. Ergo, the best conservatives are atheist”.

csdeven on November 24, 2008 at 12:59 PM

I’ll throw in a Prop 8 and see if we can make it 500.

BadgerHawk on November 24, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Although they are both religious, Huck always struck me as theocratic pushing his brand of religion on everyone. Another difference between the two is that Huck revels in being an unserious political figure.

V15J on November 24, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Listen, Huck. I’d never heard of you before a year ago and now, no matter what you did or said during the primaries, what I will always remember about you is what a whiney, back-biting weakling you’ve turned out to be. You’re a poor loser, whether McCain was chosen legitimately or not. Cry baby. You give bass players a bad name.

AubieJon on November 24, 2008 at 1:02 PM

And in flats, boots, sneakers, sandals, or with potato sacks on her feet.

RWLA on November 24, 2008 at 1:02 PM

For Pete’s sake, does this guy ever shut up?

SoulGlo on November 24, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Huckabee’s “LOOK AT MEEEEEE!!!!!!!” schtick is getting mighty old.

The only way to verify this statement is to put Governor Huckabee into a pair of slingbacks, so let’s just let this statement fade away quickly, m’kay?

ExUrbanKevin on November 24, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Huck: Congenial, funny, standard white guy, former pastor (I think?), wears his religion on his sleeve much moreso than Cuda’s generic “I heart God” comments.

Cuda: HAWT, new, fresh, Rorschach test ala Obama, still has conservative bona fides, pictures of her in a tight shirt firing and assault rifle.

Easy choice.

Dash on November 24, 2008 at 1:03 PM

YellowDawg on November 24, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Yeah. Elitist “Christians” think they are the “Christian Leaders” that we all should follow. There are also bigots because they think they are the arbiters of who follows the “real” Jesus.

csdeven on November 24, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Well, yeah, and that fact that the huckster is somewhat of a liar.

tarpon on November 24, 2008 at 1:04 PM

My collie says:

CyberCipher on November 24, 2008 at 12:57 PM

That’s HOT! I’m getting turned on and I’m NOT ashamed

DarkCurrent on November 24, 2008 at 1:05 PM

I don’t buy into the idea that Palin is the new Reagan (I don’t think she’s even electable in 2012), nevertheless she comes off as a real person-flaws and all. Huckabee comes off as a faux-Christian socialist in the mode of fellow Arkansan Bill Clinton. There is no way that I would ever vote for Huckabee.

highhopes on November 24, 2008 at 1:05 PM

jeanie on November 24, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Well thats how he will play it off once he starts taking a little heat for it. But one thing I’ve learned about Huckabee is he is very Clintonesque in the sense that on the surface he is trying to portray a good quality when in reality the politcal play is slimy and underhanded. The negative ad he “refused to air” accept in front of a crowd of cameras exemplified who he is better than any other moment of the campaign. The behavior on display now vis a vis Sarah Palin is perfectly in line with his historical modus oporendi.

Zetterson on November 24, 2008 at 1:05 PM

The difference between Palin and Huckabee is the difference between a woman who is proud of her religion and beliefs and a man who denigrates others, the difference between a woman who goes home and picks back up where she left off after losing and a man who writes a book attacking everyone who didn’t vote for him.

In a word the difference is that Palin has what Huckabee could never have: Class

Rob Taylor on November 24, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Breaking News,from fake BendOver Backwards News(BBN).

News Flash,Stop the press’s,

In a rare admission,apparently Mike Huckerbee claims,
he doesn’t look quite as good in spikes,stiletto’s,or
a 70′s term called (#ssjacker’s) as Governor Sarah Palin,
aka,SarahCuda!

When pressed for details, as the preferred style of #ss
jacker’s,Huckerbee had no further comment!(Snark!) haha.

canopfor on November 24, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Allah, you never fail to amaze me.

What is the difference? How about this.

Sarah doesn’t go around sticking long knives in the backs of other Republicans.

Sarah doesn’t make snide little comments about other people’s religion.

When Sarah speaks we all listen.

Did you see ANY, even ONE, Huckabee crowd that rivaled Sarah’s?

I’ll never vote for Mike Huckabee. I’ll write in Allahpundit first.

Lynn2008 on November 24, 2008 at 1:07 PM

They are both tax and spend governors.

nazo311 on November 24, 2008 at 1:07 PM

plus Palin is a heck of alot more conservative than Huck is. He is TERRIBLE on immigration as well. Wanted to give aliens drivers license.

ousoonerfan15 on November 24, 2008 at 1:09 PM

and of course she is a true conservative and Huckaboob is not. But whatever keeps him in the spotlight as far as he is concerned.
For supposed humble man of God he sure gets full of himself sometimes.

HoosierCon on November 24, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Exit question: How’d that happen?

Maybe it has more to do with misconceptions about Palin’s beliefs and record. I’ve always believed that she is more conservative than Huck, significantly so.

But even that aside, Huck brought religious bigotry to the forefront in this election and hailed his own religious bonefides with plenty of condensation we didn’t see from Palin. That alone would be enough in my book to make them seem so different.

Esthier on November 24, 2008 at 1:11 PM

How about this too:

Hucklookatme whines about everything, acting as if he deserved and was forsaken; lovely Sarah is moving on with her life and is destined to make herself a GOP powerhouse based on charisma.

Bishop on November 24, 2008 at 1:11 PM

Exit question: How’d that happen?

Simple.

1) Flying Crosses
2) Flying Jesus Fish
3) Anti-Amnesty = Anti-Christian and Anti-Life
4) Airing in a Sullivanesque way his bigoted ideas about Mormons.

Lehosh on November 24, 2008 at 1:11 PM

Rob Taylor on November 24, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Not to mention my vote.

joeinmo on November 24, 2008 at 1:11 PM

They are both tax and spend governors.

nazo311 on Nov 24,2008 at 1:07PM.

nazo311: Me thinks Liberals are the Tax and spenders!

Hopey/Changey/GaffeBiden are the,

“Axis of Taxes”!:)

canopfor on November 24, 2008 at 1:12 PM

ousoonerfan15 on November 24, 2008 at 1:09 PM

That’s true. Palin’s squishy and possible worse than we realize, but Huck crossed the line.

Esthier on November 24, 2008 at 1:12 PM

As with Palin.

crr6 on November 24, 2008 at 12:57 PM

So tell me, crr6, where and when did Sarah Palin start pointing fingers, blame-gaming, and whining about the mauling she took at the hands of a biased media? She handled with grace and style what amounted to an orchestrated character assassination campaign by the most influential media organizations in the world. And your guy Huck? He whines, he complains, he accuses, and then he writes a book where he does more of the same.

Palin in 12. She’ll beat The Huckster like a red-haired stepchild in the primaries.

troyriser_gopftw on November 24, 2008 at 1:15 PM

with plenty of condensation we didn’t see from Palin.

Tell you what, lovely Sarah was able to make my brow condensate every time I saw her.

Bishop on November 24, 2008 at 1:15 PM

How did that happen?

SarahCuda has Real Republican Conservative values,
guns,gawd,small government!

SarahCuda has integrity,articulation,says what she means,
does what she means,and does what needs to be done,to get
it done!:)

canopfor on November 24, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Still better then… oh lets say 49 other States.

Exit question: How’d that happen?

hmmmm…. I think you already know the answer.

upinak on November 24, 2008 at 1:18 PM

“I was scratching my head, saying, ‘Hey, wait a minute. She’s wonderful, but the only difference was she looks better in stilettos than I do, and she has better hair.’”

I’m finished with Huckabee (and Huck posts). What a pig. References to stiletto heels are inherently sexual.

I have seen photos of Governor Palin in high heels, but not stilettos. If Huck knows what she looks like in stilletos, it’s only in his fevered imagination. Poor Mrs. Huckabee.

Y-not on November 24, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Sarah doesn’t go around sticking long knives in the backs of other Republicans.

Sarah doesn’t make snide little comments about other people’s religion.

When Sarah speaks we all listen.

You’re making Huckabee’s point for him, though. Most voters don’t care about any of that drama. What does Palin bring to the ticket, substantively, that Huck doesn’t?

Allahpundit on November 24, 2008 at 1:18 PM

V15J on November 24, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Huckabee’s “religiousness” depends on whether there is a camera around. For a pastor, the fact that Huck never mentions God or Christ speaks volumes as does his agenda while Governor.

highhopes on November 24, 2008 at 1:19 PM

I think part of it is that Palin’s arrival was way overblown. Conservatives spend so much time waiting for the “second coming of Reagan” that when someone like Palin shows up – likeable, attractive and delivering a pretty awesome speech at the convention – they piss all over themselves in excitement.

However, there are some major differences between Palin and Huck. I believe Palin truly believes in State’s rights. Palin not only was against the FMA, but she never would’ve suggested some of the crazy constitutional changes or national legislation that Huck thought was a good idea.
Her state may have raised taxes on the oil companies – but they saved a lot of that money for a rainy day, which has now come. And since that’s the only way Alaska can make money, it’s a little understandable. The oil companies were making billions of Alaska’s oil. Now Alaska will probably have to lower rates to encourage development. But to me, that’s the Federalist system actually working.
And while Palin is religious, I don’t think she’d ever think of imposing it on others in the way Huckabee talks about.

So yeah, they have some similarities, but I believe the differences are very important ones. This and combined with Palinmania are why Huck is utterly rejected and Palin beloved.

apollyonbob on November 24, 2008 at 1:19 PM

As with Palin.

crr6 on November 24, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Not as much as with Huck. Palin works the blue-collar shtick too, but the seething at Beltway elites is more prevalent among her supporters than with Palin herself. Not so with Iron Mike.

Allahpundit on November 24, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Allahpundit on November 24, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Someone who doesn’t let the media get to here. Someone who isn’t a snarky little bible thumping creep. Someone who doesn’t cater to the MSM. And maybe the 7 million dollar book deal that people will actually BUY, unlike Huck’s book.

Yeah that about says it all.

upinak on November 24, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Schmuckabee.

WasatchMan on November 24, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Exit question: How’d that happen?

Real/Fake
Hot/Cold
Gracious/Spiteful
Honest/Cunning

LEBA on November 24, 2008 at 1:21 PM

How did that happen?

Let’s see, Huck is a hypocritical, backstabbing, Arkansas governor who throws down his “I’m a Christian Pastor!” card whenever he thinks it’ll get him a vote or other acclaim.

Palin is an optimistic, outspoken Wasilla ‘Cuda who made the leap from Alaskan governor to VP candidate with some mistakes, but with undeniable class when having unmentionable mud thrown all over her and her family (including a pregnant teen daughter and disabled infant.)

The sad part is, the Huckster is so blind he’s seriously asking this question- “Hey, why not me? Why don’t you like me???”

cs89 on November 24, 2008 at 1:21 PM

It’s funny that I didn’t mention the reason that McCain picked her – her willingness to buck her Party to do what she believes is right.

But honestly, I bet more people know that her wardrobe may have cost $150K than know that about her.

apollyonbob on November 24, 2008 at 1:22 PM

I thought I could not dislike that petty little man more.

I was wrong.

Elizabetty on November 24, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Somebody needs to produce a Baby Huckabee doll that never stops whining.

Buy Danish on November 24, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Still better then… oh lets say 49 other States.

There are 57 states now. Get with the program.

Bishop on November 24, 2008 at 1:25 PM

What does Palin bring to the ticket, substantively, that Huck doesn’t?

Same as my last comment. My vote. Perhaps not substance-based, but I can’t get over the substance I feel like I’ve been slimed with whenever I hear him talk.

joeinmo on November 24, 2008 at 1:25 PM

There’s something cranky about Huck that is self-defeating.
Bass players are notoriously flaky.

Randy

williars on November 24, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Exit question: How’d that happen?

Because of his all-out attack on Mormons. I am not a Mormon, so get that out of your head. That was the only way he could attack Mitt and win over other bigots.

Mitt has better credentials to handle this economic mess that we are in and Mitt truly understands the muslim threat aginst us.

Yeah, I know, he flipped-flopped on abortion. But, at least he flipped in the right direction. And Romney-Care in MA, who is the governor now and how much did they overhaul that program?

cjs1943 on November 24, 2008 at 1:26 PM

There are 57 states now. Get with the program.

Bishop on November 24, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Just because B.O. is a moron, doesn’t mean I have to be. Even with my public school (non-sharia) edumacation! ;)

upinak on November 24, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Huckabee and Palin are pretty similar. Huckabee is a bigot, Palin is not. That’s a main difference.

That said…Sanford 2012…:-)

therightwinger on November 24, 2008 at 1:26 PM

I’m pretty sure Palin doesn’t recommend early parole for men who kidnap and rape 17-yr-old cheerleaders.

That’s a big difference for me, at least. That was one of the reasons I changed my registration from Independent to Republican to vote against Huckabee in the primary. Another is that he is a big government wolf in conservative clothing.

vermillionsky on November 24, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Ponz on November 24, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Huckabee? Other than he held a distinct lack of class when discussing any of his opponents- other than McCain (whose hinder he was intent on kissing)

Jewels on November 24, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Servant/Egocentric
Optimistic/Pessimistic
Future/Past
Hopeful/Depressing

LEBA on November 24, 2008 at 1:28 PM

But the anti-Mormon bigotry is more than “drama” no? It says something about him and people like him, and for me which way I want the GOP to head. I’m a big tenter but there’s no room i my party for people who claim Mormons might be worshiping Satan or whatever. If he said this about Jews would we call it “drama” or outrageous bigotry.

I was in CT when Ned Lamont was running against Lieberman and his little followers were making some outrageous borderline anti-Semitic statements. I like dozens of other Republicans in my town voted Liebs in protest of that and it was one of our proudest moments. One of our most shameful is not challenging Huckabee and his bigotry as forcefully.

Rob Taylor on November 24, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Palin handles everything thrown at her with charm and grace — even things that are grossly unfair, and keeps attacking the bad guys.

Huckabee whines about the smallest slights and constantly attacks other Republicans.

Right_of_Attila on November 24, 2008 at 1:29 PM

What does Palin bring to the ticket, substantively, that Huck doesn’t?

Allahpundit on November 24, 2008 at 1:18 PM

The support from the GOP base that Huckabee never had.

Face it, McCain was a lousy choice from the beginning- foisted on the party by anti-evangelical and anti-social conservatives faction that wants the GOP to be the Democrat Party with a Lincoln Day dinner. These traitors thought they could evict the GOP base and still win by pandering to the great unwashed idiots who are “moderate” Democrats only because that party has drifted so far to the left.

It was a flawed strategy because, more than he was willing to concede, McCain needed those “Jesus freaks” to get out there and create the grassroots effort that elected GWB twice. It was only after the introduction of Palin did McCain have any forward momentum in an election that on paper should have been his in a walk. The outcome November 4th would have been far far uglier without Palin on the ticket. She provided the votes that McCain could never have gotten from the scores of Republicans the man has alienated during his eight-year temper tantrum for losing the SC primaries in 2000.

highhopes on November 24, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Palin’s pros

energy policy.
balanced budgets
cuts in spending during boom times
giving money back to the people of Alsaka instead of spending
reforming governmnet, attacking corruption
not an old white dude
talking federalism
first principles
fiscal conservatism
hawk on national defense
social conservative yet libertian in the government role in those social conservative issies.

When Huch starts talking about federalism, balanced budgets etc then we can talk about being the same.

unseen on November 24, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Apparently Mike tried the heels and dresses on to test.

Firebird on November 24, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Rob Taylor on November 24, 2008 at 1:28 PM

It’s “evangelicals” like Huckabee that gives real evangelicals a bad name.

highhopes on November 24, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Apparently Mike tried the heels and dresses on to test.

I heard the heels made his butt look big…so no pic.

Shucks. Then he could go party with Rudy!

joeinmo on November 24, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Huckabee doesn’t kill his own food. Palin wins.

Bishop on November 24, 2008 at 1:33 PM

I should have gone to that Huckabee book signing in San Antonio after all. I would love to give him a piece of my mind. His arrogance and ongoing bitterness is not exactly what I consider Christian.

cannonball on November 24, 2008 at 1:34 PM

I forget, isn’t Huckabee the brother of Satan or something like that?

jawbone on November 24, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Huckabee is a spiteful creature and is jealous that Palin got picked for VP instead of him. He thought that hanging with McCain in wiping out Romney would get thim the VP nod. He hasn’t gotten over it yet.

BetseyRoss on November 24, 2008 at 1:37 PM