Huckabee: The only difference between me and Palin is that she looks better in stilettos

posted at 12:45 pm on November 24, 2008 by Allahpundit

I’m exaggerating. He also concedes that she has better hair.

Asked about Sarah Palin, he responded, “She, uh, was an appropriate choice, because she put John McCain back in the game.” That was the get-along answer, but a few minutes later the new, aggrieved Huckabee resurfaced. He recalled, “It was funny that all through the primary—I mean literally up until McCain got enough delegates to win—people said, ‘You know, Huckabee’s really running for Vice-President. Gee, Huckabee would be a great Vice-President.’ And from that day forward, when I actually was no longer running for President, nobody ever said, ‘Gee, Huckabee would be a great Vice-President.’ ” Neither was he quite so unperturbed by the Palin pick: “I was scratching my head, saying, ‘Hey, wait a minute. She’s wonderful, but the only difference was she looks better in stilettos than I do, and she has better hair.’ It wasn’t so much a gender issue, but it was like they suddenly decided that everything they disliked about me was O.K. . . . She was given a pass by some of the very people who said I wasn’t prepared.”

Er, what is the major difference between her and Huck, aside from the fact that he has much more executive experience than she does? He’s impeccably socially conservative; so is she. He’s questionable on amnesty; so is she. He’s prone to anti-Wall Street rhetoric aimed at pandering to blue-collar voters; so is she. The big rap on him is that he’s always seemed a tad too comfortable with regulation for Republican tastes, but he stridently opposed the bailout while she supported some form of intervention to avert another Great Depression. (She’s opposed to additional bailouts.) It can’t all come down to taxes, can it? The ‘Cuda’s record isn’t spotless there, either.

Some of this can be blamed on her being a good soldier during the campaign and trying to conform her message to Maverick’s, although of course that didn’t stop her from publicly disagreeing with him about ANWR and the federal marriage amendment — another big government, anti-federalist measure, albeit one which Huck also supports. The real difference, I think, is tone. Palin’s charm rests in her perceived authenticity whereas Huck’s guileless nice-guy persona is forever being undercut by sniping at Republican rivals and “innocent” misunderstandings that look suspiciously like sly, nasty attacks: The “Christian leader” ad, the musings about Jesus and Satan in Mormon doctrine, the press conference called to announce that he wouldn’t be airing a negative spot against Romney before promptly playing it for reporters. Above all, for a guy who’s famous for saying that he may be a conservative but he’s not mad about it, resentment figures heavily in his rhetoric: Class resentment, especially vis-a-vis Romney, political resentment at how Beltway Republicans have supposedly snubbed Christians, and even petty personal resentments about how colleagues like Palin have had an easier ride than he has. As likeable as he is onscreen, that bitterness and calculation is never far from my mind when I watch him.

But I digress. His suggestion that he and Palin are no different is false, but surely they’re not so different that one should be heralded as the second coming of Reagan while the other’s name is practically an epithet to huge swaths of our readership. Exit question: How’d that happen?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

An Era of Hate on November 26, 2008 at 8:57 AM

Appropriate screen name. You are speaking of yourself, right?!

Shelby on November 26, 2008 at 1:34 PM

I notice that the The Atlantic headline article to which Allah linked quotes this blogsite. Kudos!

adagioforstrings on November 26, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Both Huckabee and Palin have family values and the type of moral Christian backbone that will help lead this nation out of darkness. Forget about what separates them. The real question is… why aren’t YOU helping support and strengthen them????

apacalyps on November 26, 2008 at 7:58 PM

Crowd Chants.

“We wanna know! We wanna know!

Come on Crowd. Yell it loud.

“We wanna know! We wanna know!”

apacalyps on November 26, 2008 at 8:13 PM

Stilettos, schmilettos. There is no possible way to dress up Palin and Huckabee that would make the Huckster look better than the ‘Cuda. But your point about tone is taken; aside from being a squishy liberal who pardons and/or commutes sentences of violent thugs right and left (does Sarah do that, too?), the biggest difference is that she’s a nice lady and he’s a Class A prick. Which would be a not insubstantial difference even if the two were identical on The Issues (TM).

Xrlq on November 26, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Oh, and PS, I gotta add this… bottom line.. there’s not much difference between Huckabee and Palin. Those are the facts. They are very similar on the issues. And I’m glad because it exposes those folks who support Sarah and smear Mike. Regular Americans look at this contradiction and think, “What are they doing?” These pundits get upset at Huckabee cuz they think he’s soft on immigration (even though his state problems were dealt to him by insane federal policy). But, forget about that. They continue to smear the man even after he listens to them and introduced a plan to secure the border without amnesty. Moreover, they overlook what many thought were controversial remarks by Palin on the amnesty issue as a running mate of McCains. Now, I don’t know where Palin stands on the amnesty issue? But, one thing is for sure, their are a lot of contradictions here. This is a clear double standard and people see it. You got to be a fool to think people don’t see it. I suggest putting aside that pride of yours. Maybe folks like governor Huckabee aren’t so much the problem anymore. Maybe they aren’t the ones scamming the faithful? Maybe it’s you. How about a much more balanced story for a change. Let’s fix the problem. Work together. Thank you.

apacalyps on November 27, 2008 at 2:33 PM

For once I agree with you apacalyps. Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to read everything on your many posts, but what you said above fits huchaberry to a T. He has so much pride and envy, I bet the Lord is wondering when he is going to leave the church, or be condemned?

Bambi on November 27, 2008 at 3:16 PM

bottom line.. there’s not much difference between Huckabee and Palin.

There’s a world of difference. Perhaps not in their policies, though that’s another debate.

For those who say The Message is the important thing, and that Palin and Huck are on the same page: if that’s true, you will do The Message justice by jettisoning Huckabee and rallying behind Palin. Huckabee is a Bad Messenger. He pissed off too many people in the primaries, and he continues to alienate people like me who were initially interested in what he had to say. He is a polarizing figure, divisive by design. He is box-office poison, and I don’t want him anywhere near the ticket.

Palin, on the other hand, I threw my full support behind, and I would volunteer for any campaign she launched.

That is a huge difference. I want nothing – NOTHING – to do with Huckabee, but would crawl over broken glass for Palin. Why? Because of the character traits I saw in each this past year. Huckabee is not a good man; good men don’t nurse grudges so publicly or for so long. He’s a diseased soul that needs to cleanse the inner vessel before I even think of giving him a second look. He went out of his way to offend people like me, and he continues to do so. I despise the man.

Palin may need further seasoning, but her fundamentals are sound. She has a bright future ahead of her.

sulla on November 27, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Eloquent and succinct, sulla. I will only add one thing: Palin, to me, exudes a confident humility that is at the core of true Christianity. I do not detect this trait in Mike Huckabee, and I have closely observed Huckabee’s political career for the better part of two decades and twice voted for him for Governor of Arkansas.

I do not say that Huckabee is a bad man, just that he has a degree of prideful arrogance that, combined with a native mistrust for people outside his own inner circle, causes him to surround himself with mediocrites. Think Richard Nixon.

Venusian Visitor on November 27, 2008 at 5:10 PM

Thanks for the insights, Venusian (VV?) That explains much.

I don’t think Huck is all bad, just that his negatives outweigh his positives in my book. Your explanation makes a lot of sense. Much appreciated.

sulla on November 27, 2008 at 11:35 PM