Alan Colmes leaving “Hannity & Colmes”; Update: A note to KP fans; Update: Hannity to go solo?

posted at 2:30 pm on November 24, 2008 by Allahpundit

Broken by Radio Equalizer, confirmed by Fox News.

In announcing his decision, Colmes said, “I approached Bill Shine (FNC’s Senior Vice President of Programming) earlier this year about wanting to move on after 12 years to develop new and challenging ways to contribute to the growth of the network. Although it’s bittersweet to leave one of the longest marriages on cable news, I’m proud that both Sean (Hannity) and I remained unharmed after sitting side by side, night after night for so many years.”

Colmes will continue to have a presence on FNC as he will serve as a liberal commentator on a variety of FOX News programming, including Foxnews.com’s The Strategy Room and continue hosting his radio program, The Alan Colmes Show on FOX Talk, a division of FOX News Radio. He will also begin developing a weekend program…

Hannity added, “Not only has Alan been a remarkable co-host, he’s been a great friend which is rare in this industry. I’ll genuinely miss sparring with such a skillful debate partner.”

Commenters in the Headlines item are demanding “Malkin & Powers.” Odds are fair that they’ll get half their wish. Hannity could carry the show himself — he does it in “Hannity’s America,” after all — but an hour of him after an hour of O’Reilly, night after night, would be … taxing. Plus, to move from right-wing to very right-wing during primetime would expose the “fair and balanced” credo to even more mockery. The X factor is Rachel Maddow, who still trails far behind H&C in overall viewers but is up from where MSNBC used to be in that time slot and is closing in among the 25-to-54 demo. Do the Foxies try to steal back some of her thunder by hiring a hard lefty, the better to spar with Hannity? If so, er, who? Colmes wasn’t hard left, but he was considerably more doctrinaire than Juan Williams and our favorite liberal; a “Hannity & X” where X is center-left and not temperamentally inclined to play attack dog by badgering guests might be a slow go.

Then again, Hannity’s bound to have sway in who gets picked and it’s no secret he’s a KP fan. She’s on the show every week and frequently on “Hannity’s America.” She’s comfortable with the format, having guest-hosted for Colmes regularly. She’d increase the female presence in the line-up, which will soon drop now that Glenn Beck’s taking over from Hemmer and Kelly at 5 p.m. And she’s leading in the TV Newser online poll. I know where the smart money is. Exit question: According to TV Newser, this has been in the works for months. Wouldn’t/shouldn’t FNC have someone lined up already?

Update: My preference is no secret, but I admit, I’d watch “Hannity & Carville.”

Update: I should have mentioned earlier, if you prefer “Hannity & Powers” to an hour of Hannity solo, it’d pay to make your feelings known at that online poll I linked above. Industry people monitor TV Newser; if there’s a big push for KP, Fox will surely take note. E-mailing would also be good. Send it to Hannity@foxnews.com.

Update: Sounds like they’re leaning towards Hannity solo. As I say, unless you want five nights a week of “Hannity’s America,” you’d better vote/e-mail.

So what will happen to “Hannity & Colmes?” Sean Hannity, the popular conservative commentator, may become the sole host of the program, according to one source close to the network who insisted on anonymity while speaking about private deliberations. Mr. Hannity currently hosts a weekend program, “Hannity’s America,” that may be used as a template for the weekday program. A Fox News spokeswoman said that no decision had been made.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Hannity ought to go it alone. The constant interruptions and rudeness put forth by Colmes makes
“Hannity and Colmes” unbearable to watch at times.

Hannity will do just fine without a sidekick. His show “Hannity’s America” is excellent and I expect that “Hannity” will be great, too.

I look forward to Hannity’s new format.

sinsing on November 25, 2008 at 8:24 AM

I like the format and will miss Colmes on the show. He is funny. I hope they go with Carville. He’s as partisan as they come. He would make a wonderful showing opposite Hannity.

kanda on November 25, 2008 at 8:42 AM

Any King of the Hill fans remember Carville as the strict judge in the episode where Hank was using crack as fish bait?

I thought he was really funny…

thats all…

MechEng5by5 on November 25, 2008 at 9:08 AM

I listen to Rush then turn off the radio from 3pm till 6pm EST, turn it back on to listen to Mark Levin, So I do not care if Hannity stays solo or goes with a new “partner”. His style is poor, he gets a bit like “puffy Oberman” on MSNBCircleJerk… CYA Colmes, you were ok, for a liberal.

Mark Garnett on November 25, 2008 at 9:08 AM

It would be killer if Colmes got some media job with Barry…

benrand on November 25, 2008 at 9:26 AM

Hasta lapasta baby!

grapeknutz on November 25, 2008 at 9:30 AM

Sorry but Hannity can be a whiner sometimes. They really need something to counter it. I like the gentleman don’t get me wrong, but there are times I simply have to change channels on my radio from so much whining.

johnnyU on November 25, 2008 at 9:53 AM

conservnut on November 24, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Yea! Obama Girl! Did you see her on O’Reilly last week? She, like, wasn’t involved in politics but now she’s like totally informed and totally wants to make sure everyone is like just as informed and stuff as she is.

And it was obvious that O’Reilly only had her on to ogle her. The ditz said nothing of substance. O’Reilly didn’t even press her on anything she knew about politics because he knew she would flub it.

gippergal1984 on November 25, 2008 at 9:55 AM

That means Sean can have a different lib at his pleasure. Think of it as Lib du jour.

EconomicNeocon on November 25, 2008 at 10:03 AM

A Hannity solo show will be unwatchable.

I hope this helps.

Shivas Irons on November 25, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Good riddance, and don’t let the door hit you in the arse on your way out!

hopefloats on November 25, 2008 at 10:06 AM

MSNBC might have two liberals in prime time, but at least they play good cop (Maddow)/pompous cop (Olbermann).

Who would be the good cop between O’Reilly and Hannity?

YYZ on November 25, 2008 at 10:09 AM

Who cares????!!!!! Why is this a headline?

scottjenn on November 25, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Hannity works better solo on radio than O’Reilly because on radio the listeners want someone who can connect one-on-one with the audience and not be so much of an in-your-face type of guy, even if you agree politically with both hosts (sometimes when you’re making a point on radio, loudness due to actual anger over some bonehead action in Washington is warranted, but you don’t want that 15 hours a week).

On the other hand, O’Reilly’s schtick works better solo on TV, because he’s more of a visual performer and he can manage to take about 2-3 different sides of an issue on any given night, ticking off all sides of the political spectrum. What makes Hannity work on his show is he’s performing against a liberal — Colmes, a guest-host, or whomever the segment’s liberal guest happens to be. Hannity solo on a five nights a week basis will have to drag some liberals on the show in order to get a good dust-up going, since Sean’s not an angry about everything type like Bill.

No liberal to play off of, and the show becomes either a clone of his radio program, or merely Hannity talking to Laura, Mary Catherine or Michelle about the latest Obama Administration outrage. Which is OK, I guess, but if you really believe your positions are correct, it should be fun for the next four years having liberals on as much as possible to defend the new president, after mindlessly trashing everything for the better part of the past eight years.

jon1979 on November 25, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Ok, I haven’t sifted through the three-hundred some odd comments, but can I get a verdict: Colmes is a pillow biter, right?

Not that it matters, I’d just like to know which way he really “leans” for the record. Thanks.

Shark Sandwich on November 25, 2008 at 11:07 AM

I wonder what Gwen Ifill is doing?

the_souse on November 25, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Enough of Alan.

Firebird on November 25, 2008 at 12:01 PM

I want Flavia Colgan! She is tough, intelligent, great debater, an ex-politico, and gorgeous!

gxpgxp on November 25, 2008 at 12:27 PM

There’s no doubt it has to be Kirsten Powers. She’s hot and mesmerizing, and if anyone could turn me liberal, it’s her. My first choice for a shakeup would’ve been Michelle, but two from the same side of politics wouldn’t be interesting unless they were tag teaming against liberals. I’m still hoping for Michelle’s own show though.

Hannity can’t carry that show on a consistent basis without driving viewers away. He has his own mantra and repeats the same 5-6 tired phrases constantly. If I hear besmirched one more time, I’m gonna explode.

I am glad Colmes is leaving. If there’s anyone who needs to be bitch slapped (often), it’s him.

stacman on November 25, 2008 at 1:08 PM

gxpgxp on November 25, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Her voice is only slightly more tolerable than Estrich

joey24007 on November 25, 2008 at 1:16 PM

I just hope next summer’s Freedom Concerts are still on. Because there’s no freedom without Sean Hannity.

Vernon Hardapple on November 25, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Though Colmes was funny there were times I wish I could’ve ripped his head off for his ignorance, stupidity and stubbornness. Not to mention his constantly interrupting the guests.

I’m a fan of Hannity but it might make the show more interesting with a liberal perspective added, preferably someone more moderate and broader-minded than Colmes.

thinkagain on November 25, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Those Freedom Concerts rock!

johnnyU on November 25, 2008 at 2:54 PM

I wont miss him. He’s a talkingpoint Lib.

dogsoldier on November 25, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Don’t let the door hitcha’ in the ass on the way out, punkass.

cgoode777 on November 25, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Probably not the first to say this, but why not just can the “hannity and ________ [insert left wing host of choice here]” show altogether, and give Glenn Beck the prime time slot?

Glenn Beck blows away anyone currently on FNC’s evening lineup, including Shep Smith, O’Reilly, H&C or Greta.

I would not miss H&C. Hannity is a repetitive whiner. His radio show is only marginally better than H&C because Skeletor isn’t there to annoy Sean (and the audience).

But if Fox is going to keep H&C they should at least give us some eye candy like Kirsten Powers. Love that picture of her with her hand over her mouth, with an expression that says, “Oooops, did I just say that?” What a cutie.

UltimateBob on November 25, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Why not Laura Ingraham vs. Kirsten Powers? Both are already on the Fox payroll and are easy on the eyes. I know Sean has a pretty big following, but Let him keep his Hannity’s America gig so he can rattle off talking points ad nauseam to his “great Americans.”

Blue_State_Blues on November 25, 2008 at 5:50 PM

Hannity lost me with his sucking up to that obnoxious fascist Pat Buchanan. Kirsten Powers is not only beautiful but classy. She is what liberalism used to be before it lost its way.

Hilts on November 25, 2008 at 6:05 PM

As for Colmes, that guy carried water for Hamas back in April 2002 and for Hezbollah back in July 2006.

Hilts on November 25, 2008 at 6:07 PM

UltimateBob on November 25, 2008 at 4:38 PM

There’s no reason to take anything away from Shawn Hannity, even if he can’t carry a show by himself. He’s a huge draw, and he will be for years to come. Besides, anyone will look like a moron when he’s forced to treat a moonbat as an equal.

What I want to know is who made this moronic rule that you can never have more than one conservative host?

logis on November 25, 2008 at 9:26 PM

sucking up to that obnoxious fascist Pat Buchanan
Hilts on November 25, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Did he really? That’s terrible! And, yeah, I agree with just about everyone else; Kirsten Powers would be a great replacement for Colmes.

Achilles on November 26, 2008 at 1:17 AM

I both voted and emailed my support for Powers.

She would be dynamite!

LimeyGeek on November 26, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Good riddance to Colmes. I can’t stand the sight of the man so seldom watch the show.

UnEasyRider on November 26, 2008 at 1:11 PM

America Wants to Know!
Obama REFUSES to show his ORIGINAL birth certificate. Why?

SIGN THE PETITION TO FORCE BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA TO PRESENT HIS QUALIFICATIONS.

PETITION FOR PUBLIC RELEASE OF
BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA’S BIRTH CERTIFICATE

AdrianS on November 26, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Here is my suggestion to Fox News – I’m serious about this, not joking – Alec Baldwin.

Anyone who hasn’t heard the infamous Baldwin/Hannity/Mark Levin 3-way phone call from a couple of years ago missed some of the best radio ever. It was magnificent. Hannity/Baldwin nightly, with Baldwin potentially melting down at any moment, would be a ratings bonanza.

Phildorex on November 26, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Ah! I found a youtube link of the Baldwin/Hannity/Levin conversation:

Phildorex on November 26, 2008 at 2:04 PM

If sleazy Bob Beckel somehow sneaks in and lands this, my TV goes over the back hill. I still marvel that he got away with willingly pitching that “leak” about the “whitey” tape that was going to surface any day to save Hillary’s marbles.

Carville is a CNN regular & they will fight to keep him for their usual “one lefty after another pitted against a paleo conservative” lineup.

Powers would be great. She is smart and reasonable to boot. Alan is smart, but as others have pointed out, he’s a bit too much of a “talking point” commentator.

And let’s not have any “Rosie” talk, either . . . even as a joke!

Trochilus on November 26, 2008 at 2:44 PM

I have barely watched any FNC since the dreaded election day and am ho-hum about it.

OTOH, good riddance to bad rubbish with regard to Colmes.
I’m not a fan of Kirsten either. Looking forward to Beck’s show, can’t stand Sheppard Smith, love Hemmer & Kelly, am dreading Brit’s departure if it hasn’t happened already, and O’Reilly needs to get over his conceit and huge ego.

I tend to watch Neil Cavuto and Fox Business currently.

Domino on November 26, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Phildorex on November 26, 2008 at 2:02 PM

I’d pay to see that.

You know; I think that’s the real problem I have with liberals. If you’re going to be a drama queen, then quit screwing around and DO IT RIGHT!

logis on November 26, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Hannity and Powers would be great, but more importantly, it had better be Hannity and Somebody (where Somebody is not an ideolgoical clone of Hannity). I find Hannity’s America unwatchable, and with Colmes and Hume going away at the same time, FNC may have to actually earn my business for once.

Xrlq on November 26, 2008 at 10:22 PM

“It has been released that Alan Colmes will quickly disappear into the sunset and miasma of time, living out the remainder of his limited number of days as a forgotten, hateful, and bitter man.”

(queue “Eleanor Rigby” by The Beatles…..)

grtflmark on November 27, 2008 at 1:14 AM

johnnyU on November 25, 2008 at 9:53 AM

I agree. Sean is the most loyal conservative out there and fights the good fight. But, sometimes I have to turn the volume down.

He definitely would not have been the best guy to fill in for WFB on Firing Line.

He is the rabid cage-fighter of the GOP rather than the Shaman.

Sapwolf on November 27, 2008 at 1:03 PM

(queue “Eleanor Rigby” by The Beatles…..)

grtflmark on November 27, 2008 at 1:14 AM

No he won’t. Kevorkian will lay this liberal boy down with a smile on his face before nature takes him.

I like Alan. His wife is nice too. Good luck to him. He will still be on some other Fox stuff.

Sapwolf on November 27, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Sean Penn

IlikedAUH2O on November 27, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Sean Penn , LOL. Good Sean/ Bad Sean
May as well put some mesh caging and a catchers mask for Hannity.

johnnyU on November 28, 2008 at 8:57 AM