Maybe the Gray Lady should eat crow for Thanksgiving

posted at 9:47 am on November 22, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

I’m always amused by people who decry the slaughter of animals for food as some barbaric practice, as if people haven’t been eating meat for the entire history of homo sapiens.  Where, exactly, do people like the editors of the New York Times think the turkey for their Thanksgiving originates — a Star Trek replicator?  Instead of laughing off what was a poor decision by Palin’s staff for an interview location, we instead hear shrieks of executions from the Gray Lady:

We’ve differed with Sarah Palin a great deal on substance. We don’t agree with her hardline approach to the Iraq War, her harsh anti-government rhetoric, and her style of negative campaigning.

But we also worry a bit about, how should we put it, the persona she has brought with her to national politics. We did not care at all for the swipe she took against community organizers at the Republican National Convention.

And then there’s this. You don’t have to be a huge animal lover to question why Governor Palin chose to be interviewed — while issuing a traditional seasonal pardon of a turkey — while turkeys were being executed in the background.

I read about this clip from Allahpundit and other bloggers before I bothered to watch it, and I thought it would be much worse. Color me underwhelmed:

If this is what twisted the NYT’s knickers, then make sure no one ever takes them to an industrial-scale slaughterhouse.  This is basically free-range handling.  We’re not seeing vast machinery beheading a string of turkeys in some sort of dehumanized assembly-line process.

One man butchers a turkey for food (two, actually), and the New York Times gets the vapors.  Have any of them ever eaten meat?  At all?  The editors of the Times should declare right now whether they plan to eat real turkey on Thanksgiving, and/or use turkey in sandwiches from now on.  If so, how would they expect to have that available to them without the kind of process seen in this clip?  Did they think that turkeys somehow committed suicide and left wills donating their bodies to family dining tables around the world?

Executed.  Someone send the Times a vat of smelling salts.

I’ll be home with my family in California for Thanksgiving this year, while my son’s famly heads to Alabama for a Southern Thanksgiving with my daughter-in-law’s family.  We will be enjoying all of the trimmings as well as the traditional turkey, and I doubt that any of us will be surprised to learn that someone killed the turkey before we shoved it into the oven.  Maybe the New York Times considers that news in Manhattan, but that only gives readers an idea of how out-of-touch the Paper of Shrieking Hysteria has become.

Update: Tom Maguire thought that the birds committed suicide after several hours of forced listening to NPR.  Now, that would just be cruel.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

Don’t they have plastic surgeons in Chicago? Shouldn’t he have that thing checked out in case it’s malignant?

Jim62sch on November 22, 2008 at 11:47 PM

The mole or what’s behind it?

91Veteran on November 23, 2008 at 12:01 AM

There is always the possibility that she knew exactly what was going on in the background, heck, the guy doing the killing even seemed to know the implications of filming the interview with his activities as a backdrop. Did you notice the way he kept glancing at the camera in disbelief? If she was aware and even approved the location then this isn’t a stupid mistake but an act of war, she would have been sending a message to her opposition and her support on where she stood and who she stood with, if she knew.

DFCtomm on November 23, 2008 at 12:05 AM

DFCtomm on November 23, 2008 at 12:05 AM

I’m in that camp, due to the elbow she threw to the turkey farm owner at the “all creatures great and small” line. I think it was not necessarily on purpose to start with, but once she realized what was going on, she just didn’t give a damn.

However, I don’t think the turkey murderer was looking at the camera, he was looking at Sarah. If she was 20 feet away from you, would you be able to stop looking? I’ve been to one of her rallies, the woman is magnetic.

Jim62sch on November 23, 2008 at 12:11 AM

benny shakar on November 22, 2008 at 11:53 PM

I thought Allah banned you…maybe that was another bs or pita.

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 12:16 AM

Methinks I have touched a nerve with the conservative kooks.

benny shakar on November 22, 2008 at 11:53 PM

You’re the one that shouted racism. But we’ll forgive your anti-Palin sexism.

ddrintn on November 23, 2008 at 12:18 AM

Yeah, The Turkey Killer was interviewed by a local Alaskan Radio Show. He stated that he was just turning around because he heard Palin talking about energy issues during the interview.

An Era of Hate on November 23, 2008 at 12:18 AM

An Era of Hate on November 23, 2008 at 12:18 AM

The “Turkey Killer”. :D Gotta love it. But yeah, my head’s on a swivel too when I hear an attractive woman talking energy.

ddrintn on November 23, 2008 at 12:23 AM

the idiotic-looking mole on his nose…Shouldn’t he have that thing checked out in case it’s malignant?
Jim62sch on November 22, 2008 at 11:47 PM

It is ugly but apparently a buddy to him. Probably B9..AA’s are spared the ravages of melanomas on sun-exposed skin, but get their’s on their palms and soles and oral mucosa..can be very bad tumors, too, paticularly in the mouth.

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 12:24 AM

Go away, shakkkkkaaaarrrrr. And take your tin foil hat with you please.

ErinF on November 23, 2008 at 12:27 AM

Jim62sch on November 22, 2008 at 11:58 PM

Pay Benny no mind. He trolls late because he knows the troll police are sleeping and dreaming of ways to entrap him tomorrow.

Chewy the Lab on November 23, 2008 at 12:28 AM

In other news…New York Times reporters state that they are unable to stuff their Thanksgiving turkeys because they keep running away.

Jim62sch on November 23, 2008 at 12:29 AM

ErinF on November 23, 2008 at 12:27 AM

Hey ErinF,

Saltysam on November 23, 2008 at 12:30 AM

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 12:24 AM

He should probably quit smoking then…too bad he lied about that, too.

Jim62sch on November 23, 2008 at 12:35 AM

Jim62sch on November 23, 2008 at 12:11 AM

The turkey-killer-dude was a hoot, wasn’t he? Blood on his pants from the knees down, looking for a little action and a manly tingle up his leg. God Bless Him…gettin’ it done.

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 12:36 AM

He should probably quit smoking then…too bad he lied about that, too.
Jim62sch on November 23, 2008 at 12:35 AM

Yup..man’s a closet smoker. I would bet he’s got a good dose of hypoxia (low oxygen) given his frequently purple lips…who knows what’s going on in his brain.

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Hey ErinF, I think I read on another post that you live in Maine. Are you the same commenter that I’m thinking about?

Yep, that’s me. You’ve got a good memory.

ErinF on November 23, 2008 at 12:44 AM

Methinks I have touched a nerve with the conservative kooks. – benny shakar

Yeah, yooz thinks correctly, shakkkarrrrr.

Nerve touching: the only activity that commie, naziesque, tree-hugging, baby-aborting, terrorist-ass-kissing, obama-toe-sucking libs do successfully.

ErinF on November 23, 2008 at 12:50 AM

turkeys were being executed in the background

WTFreak? EXECUTED? EXECUTED? You want executed?

christene on November 23, 2008 at 1:06 AM

ErinF on November 23, 2008 at 12:50 AM

Sad but true.

christene on November 23, 2008 at 1:09 AM

My parents buy their turkey from this farm and when I called home to discuss this, my mother just laughed. KTUU set their interview up that way. They could have moved the shot or her more to the left. Even the “slaughterer” knows he’s in the shot!
BTW-My mother said the owner was “unrepentent.”

fsalw3 on November 23, 2008 at 1:10 AM

An Era of Hate on November 23, 2008 at 12:18 AM

A Turkey Killer? WTF, I see a lot of trolls are on the lose tonight. What crack did you come in? Don’t you have better things to do?

sheebe on November 23, 2008 at 1:20 AM

Jim62sch on November 23, 2008 at 12:29 AM

LMAO!! And in California news….Butter balls recalled their Turkey’s…..They forgot to butter their balls!

___> runs and hides………………

sheebe on November 23, 2008 at 1:23 AM

I bet you people loved Gail Collins’ most recent editorial in The Gray Lady, explaining why George W. should do the honorable thing and resign, so that President-elect Obama can get a jump-start on rebuilding this great nation.

benny shakar on November 22, 2008 at 9:49 PM

You piece of scum shi*. Go Fu** yourself……….You are a disgrace to this Country. You are as stupid as they come.

sheebe on November 23, 2008 at 1:34 AM

sheebe, I don’t know the man’s name so I just used turkey killer… :)

An Era of Hate on November 23, 2008 at 1:36 AM

sheebe, I don’t know the man’s name so I just used turkey killer… :)

An Era of Hate on November 23, 2008 at 1:36 AM

OOps I am sorry, I mis read your post. Am tired and don’t have glasses on. Please forgive me.

sheebe on November 23, 2008 at 1:44 AM

After reading Benny S remarks, An Era of Hate, I took your post the wrong way too. Sorry again……..

sheebe on November 23, 2008 at 1:45 AM

Being a woman, I love to hunt and fish. I clean my own kill. I eat my kill. I don’t waste nothing. Of all the violence that we see on the news. The sick Peta, Code Pink and others. I will never give up the things I love to do. I will never stop feeding myself. I love meat! And that is that. If I kill something, I eat it. Sarah rocks! She has courage, honesty, and beauty inside and out. She is normal, not a rich stuck up person. She knows where we are at.

sheebe on November 23, 2008 at 1:48 AM

Save America, eat a Vegan for Thanksgiving, remember, they ARE lower on the food chain.
Maybe that should be a bumper sticker, right below;
“Save America, stop using toilet paper, wipe your butt with a Democrat.”

nelsonknows on November 23, 2008 at 1:59 AM

Let’s see…A Governor of a mostly rural state does the annual ‘pardon the turkey routine’ and then continues with the news crew and answers some of their questions. The turkey farmer continues to do what he does a week before Thanksgiving, which is to chop a few extra heads. And some people, especially some that really should know better, start frothing at the mouth about PR people and/or cruelty to animals and/or “I NEVER” type bullsheeit. What happened to the turkey in the background during Gov. Palin’s interview happens most everyday on farms in EVERY state of the Union, including New York (maybe even on Long Island).

Does everyone here that thinks that the Governor should fire her current PR people also think that she should stop being Sarah Palin and not go hunting for caribou and moose anymore? That she shouldn’t interact with her constituents regardless of their occupation/income level/Ivy League sheepskin or any other qualifier? That Todd should stop racing 200 miles across Alaska on a snow machine at speeds approaching 100 mph? That the Palin’s should draw their curtains so that reporters from People Magazine won’t see that mother moose have her calf in the Palin’s driveway? (calves don’t come out wrapped in swaddling blankets, ya know)…

The CLOWNS at the Newwwwwww York Times are just that, clowns. The same mindset that called a normal farm activity “an execution” also called for President Bush and Vice President Cheney to RESIGN so that Senator Obama can start governing 2 months early. Forget about the Constitution, cuz the NYTimes already sure has.

And, the boys over at msnbc are all wannabes. The “worst person in the world”, Olby, is a DWE and beyond paying any attention to.

Governor Palin seems to be a good Governor, an unpretenious person, someone honest. If she were to bring in some slick PR media types to “advise” her, the media would just start labeling her a plastic Barbie doll.

Gohawgs on November 23, 2008 at 2:18 AM

It does seems she had to be aware of it going on—maybe it’s a message to her compition

Sarah-cuda

John The Baptist on November 23, 2008 at 2:19 AM

You know, I was somewhat disappointed in the interviews that Palin did with Gibson and Couric during the campaign. I recognize that she is not perfect; she’s got to improve and develop if the wants to run for president.

But this turkey controversy is the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. At worst, it may have been distracting, but she’s doing an interview with Alaskan media at a non-political event! Who cares?? Stop wetting your pants over it and saying she should be more careful in the future. It’s much to do about nothing. If anything, we ought to be worried about the effete, foppish reaction of so many in our country to this.

chris999 on November 23, 2008 at 3:02 AM

Then 3 seconds later they go off on Palin because she doesn’t categorically support a woman’s right to choose abortion.

But I somehow doubt seeing a partial-birth abortion would change their stance or make them cringe at the barbarity of it all.

BKennedy on November 23, 2008 at 5:12 AM

Here is what the MSM is trying to do by focusing on this story: 1) fill in space in a slow news period 2)further the narrative that Sarah is a small-town yokel who is not qualified for the big-time 3)marginalize her from potential GOP supporters by trying to portray her as not a viable candidate 4)take away attention from Obama and the downturn in the economy 5)further Obama’s agenda of habitually humiliating Sarah and trying to destroy her 6)insidiously trying to portray Christian pro-life advocates as people who actually believe in a culture of death 7)further the PETA agenda 8)set the stage for abolishing Thanksgiving as a national holiday and replace it with Ramadan 9)try to get non-electable GOP candidates like Romney or Huckabee nominated by the GOP in 2012 10)give the late-night comedians more ammunition with which to attack and ridicule Sarah

technopeasant on November 23, 2008 at 7:11 AM

I love turkeys. I invite them to my dinner table as often as I can. They are always the guest of honor too.

I think Sarah understood what was happeneing. I read in another thread that her advisors expressed concern about the backdrop and she simply told them there are “no concerns” with it.

Clearly Sarah Palin is tougher and more practical than the majority of Americans. That is what worries me though. Has America become too soft to survive in a world that is harsher than the fantasies of most Americans allow?

I pray that we still have the spine to do what is needed when the time comes, even when it is painful to do so.

Hawthorne on November 23, 2008 at 7:16 AM

Before WWII Hitler had thought the West had grown weak from pacifism and isolationism and thus were less than willing to fight and certainly didn’t have the resolve to win at all costs. We all know what happened, Appearances are sometimes not what they seem.

technopeasant on November 23, 2008 at 7:26 AM

No – she should wrap up a fresh-killed one in their paper and THEN send it to them. At least their paper would be good for something.

katiejane on November 22, 2008 at 9:58 AM

I’d be afraid of contamination by leftist pathogens.

soundingboard on November 23, 2008 at 7:51 AM

What is that thing he’s sticking the bird in? Does it grind off it’s head? Why not just chop its head of with an axe? You could process about 10 birds with a axe and a tree stump in the same time he does one.

Rod on November 23, 2008 at 7:52 AM

stop with this PR nonsense. We don’t want a manufactured politicians. Let her do her thing.

Look at Boris Johnson who won the Mayoralty of London against a PR savvy, manufactured, liberal, PC multicultural politician. People can see through the game.

lodge on November 23, 2008 at 7:54 AM

Didn’t realize you were from California, Ed.

While pushing buttons, the Grey Lady is devoid of reality. Rather pathetic, watching “the once upon a time best” prove such a dumb and dumber disappointment, devolved already into hypocritical lunacy, promoting disjointed rationale in her clueless, intellectually barren readers.

HotAir has its NY participants who, as chance happens, witness the obvious while working and dining themselves.

Record the editors’ habits:

1) grocery meat selections/purchases;
2) restaurant “meatings” as they stuff their faces at the finest tables, proving they eat animals and are not vegetarians;
3) order-in lunch deliveries to verify NYT meat consumption.

A picture vs. 1000 words.

maverick muse on November 23, 2008 at 7:58 AM

Does anybody besides me see this as a stupid non-story, using up a lot of space that could be used for something better? Turkeys are FOOD. You cant eat them alive. Farmed turkeys exist for one reason – to grace a dinner table, roasted to a golden brown and accompanied by mashed potatoes, gravy and corn bread dressing.
I grew up in the country and we raised most of our own food. Some of you squeamish folk should have been around my house at hog killing time, which was always about this time of year. Shoot the hog, slit its throat, scald it to remove hair, hang it up and gut it. Homemade hog sausage and grits on a cold winter morning cant be beat.
Btw – some of the old guys would not waste a bullet on the hog. They’d just smack it between the eyes with an axe or a sledge hammer then slit its throat.

abcurtis on November 23, 2008 at 8:23 AM

Hawthorne on November 23, 2008 at 7:16 AM

OT, but relative to the statement.

I hit a deer tonight with my truck. Managed to miss the doe, but was unable to dodge the “less than a yearling” offspring buck.

I had slowed down enough that its death wasn’t instant. Rather than have the animal die a slow, painful death, I administered a coup de grace with my pistol.
Would the Times consider me an executioner?
I took no pleasure in the creature’s death.
And it did pain me. It’ll haunt me a bit this week. But I knew what had to be done, and I did it.
After a 20 hour work day, I wasn’t up for the gutting and skinning,(tho I have been involved with that process on more than one occasion) so I offered the deer to a neighbor struggling to
keep a small dairy farm afloat. The venison will make a nice addition to their Thanksgiving dinner. With some left over to feed his kids for a few more weeks.
And while the earlier decision was painful. The elation on my neighbor’s face, and the obvious sincerity of his thanks helped put a shine on an otherwise unpleasant situation.
I did take pleasure in that.
And in the interest of full disclosure:
I asked for a small roast. Those little ones are mighty tender.

soundingboard on November 23, 2008 at 8:51 AM

Ahh I love it when reps from the morally bankrupt left expound their opinions/beliefs on this site. If the New York Times and the brain dead of the left cared about the life of a child as much as a turkey then maybe their opinions would would hold some currency. Until then they’re just children masquerading as adults.

SPIFF1669 on November 23, 2008 at 8:56 AM

Rod on November 23, 2008 at 7:52 AM

It’s a killing cone…the bird is put in head down toward the apex where there is a hole. His head is cut off and much of his blood drained out. The cone contains him so he can’t jump around, bruise or injure himself like a turkey with his head cut off. It’s really a humane quick
kill. Swinging an axe at a big turkey neck is a good way to axe someone else’s neck, hand or your own…plus the bird will run all over the place after the beheading on the proverbial chopping block and create quite a scene!

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 8:59 AM

soundingboard on November 23, 2008 at 8:51 AM

Excellent that you were able to exercise your humanity. Good you had a pistol. I saw and 8 point buck stuggling to get up after he was hit in the rear by a car driven by a young man who had to wait for at least 2 hours with the suffering animal until the police came to put the animal down. The carcass was gone the next day. Someone may have just taken the rack, but that’s ok. It’s over. Your story has the better ending.

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 9:07 AM

I don’t know for sure but I think the device the man is putting the turkeys into is little more than a funnel over a trough to catch the blood.

I think he puts the turkey into the funnel, pulls the head out of the bottom, slits it’s throat, and then hold it there until it bleeds out and stops moving.

rockbend on November 22, 2008 at 10:34 AM

I believe you’re correct. Avoids the whole “runnin’ ’round with its head cut off” scenario.

soundingboard on November 23, 2008 at 9:10 AM

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 8:59 AM

Hah. I should refresh the page before replying to an earlier commenter.

So everybody can just ignore this.

soundingboard on November 23, 2008 at 9:10 AM

lol

soundingboard on November 23, 2008 at 9:15 AM

Maybe that should be a bumper sticker, right below;
“Save America, stop using toilet paper, wipe your butt with a Democrat.”

nelsonknows on November 23, 2008 at 1:59 AM

LMAO!! I am laughing so hard, my glasses are fogging up! Too Funny!!!

sheebe on November 23, 2008 at 9:23 AM

abcurtis on November 23, 2008 at 8:23 AM

Yup, you’re right.
I remember the screaming hogs as they were being butchered in my next door neighbor’s barn. It went on for too long.Remember the movie Silence of the Lambs? What do you think was haunting Jodi Foster all those years?
Control of an animal and a quick and decisive kill is the most humane…just what the turkeys got! By the way the Schmidt family of the Triple D turkey farm in Wasilla where Sarah was interviewed have been hammered by the animal rights people but have sold more turkeys, too!
Good. Happy Thanksgiving.

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 9:24 AM

I left a comment on the Times’ site about the use of the word ‘executed’.

No surprise that it wasn’t posted on the blog comment list…

I resubmitted recently with more kinder, gentler language. We’ll see if that passes their muster, or is too politically incorrect to appear on their site.

sultanp on November 23, 2008 at 9:28 AM

She didn’t care about the background, because the background was fact and real…I don’t want Palin “staged” to make it look “good”.
Hey, the people who won’t support her because of this, wasn’t supporting her before and never would.
She should have named the turkey “Biden”, and said that was the second luckiest turkey in America.

right2bright on November 23, 2008 at 9:31 AM

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 9:07 AM

Thanks for the post. Again, makes an unpleasant situation that much more bearable.

As for having a pistol. I live in Louisiana. People entering the state are checked for weapons. If you don’t have one, they issue you one.

{Hmm…I wonder if we could get PETA onboard a keep a gun in your car campaign. How many situations like you experienced could be avoided?

{Nahh…they’d rather just ban the cars. I also ran over a frog tonight.
Poor little froggie was probably a prince.}

I did consider just dragging the carcass into the ditch and letting Mother Nature take over.

The deer carcass, not the frog.

Truth be told, I first called two old hunting buddies,who although they eat what they kill, one small deer in their freezer wouldn’t have made the difference between their children eating meat next month. Or just beans and squash put up from the summer garden.

I think I did the right thing.

soundingboard on November 23, 2008 at 9:42 AM

right2bright on November 23, 2008 at 9:31 AM

Yup..that’s why Sarah said “No worries” when asked about the scene…oh natural…that’s the way it is. Make no pretenses. Just like Sarah.
I think she should name Tom the Turkey Killer as her White House Press Secretary or Secretary of Agriculture in 2012.

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 9:42 AM

What crack did you come in?

Better question: How much crack did you smoke?

oldleprechaun on November 23, 2008 at 9:49 AM

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 9:42 AM

How ’bout State? SoS Tom the Turkey Killer could present the vid to Ahmedinijad as a precondition to sitting across the negotiating table from President Palin.

Works for me.

soundingboard on November 23, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Maybe that should be a bumper sticker, right below;
“Save America, stop using toilet paper, wipe your butt with a Democrat.”

nelsonknows on November 23, 2008 at 1:59 AM

funny! When I read this, it reminded me of the bumper sticker that says “I didn’t crawl my way up the food chain to eat vegetables”

Red State State of Mind on November 23, 2008 at 9:53 AM

Wow! Just leveling the playing field. Fabulous!

I think I did the right thing.

Puff Up! You done good. Thanx for giving.

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 9:56 AM

That’s an even better idea! Sarah says: “We’re onto you, Mr. Ahmedinijad…and this could happen to you, you Turkey Iranian.”

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Wait a minute!!! You mean you’re supposed to kill the damned turkey before putting it in the oven?!!! This is going to make things go much smoother this thanksgiving, trying to shove a pissed off turkey into a hot oven is not fun!

BadMojo on November 23, 2008 at 10:11 AM

This kind of thing might play well in Alaska or other primarily rural states. It doesn’t do well in more urbanized areas. That’s the reality of it.

And God forbid those “urbanized areas” become educated on the procedural realities that keep grocery shelves, and those urban bellies,full.

My eye? Just a little speck. Nothing really.

But if I were you I’d consult an opthamoligist about that 2×4 protuding from your orbital socket.

soundingboard on November 23, 2008 at 10:15 AM

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 10:02 AM

lol

And wait’ll Putin sees the full vid of President Palin processing her own moose.

From hoof to freezer.

soundingboard on November 23, 2008 at 10:19 AM

You think we should clue in the NYT where hamburgers come from? Oops, I just did. Sorry. Heh

Geronimo on November 23, 2008 at 10:26 AM

From hoof to freezer.

Sarah should put the video on her bigscreen in her living room so Putin can watch from his living room in Russia. Call it “Putin on the Moose”. I can hear the music now.

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Wow! Just leveling the playing field. Fabulous!

I think know I did the right thing.
Puff Up! You done good. Thanx for giving.

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 9:56 AM

You’re right. I FIFMe.

And I’ll say this about Louisiana, the politicians may be at times, corrupt, incompetent, just plain stupid, or all of the above. There’s a large enough percentage with enough sense to know that anti-gun down here is virtual political suicide.

And the voters here probably would given Fast Eddie Edwards a pass on a live boy in his bed. But mess with our guns? That’s one roll of the dice even he would have avoided.

soundingboard on November 23, 2008 at 10:32 AM

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 10:30 AM

LMAO

Brilliant.

soundingboard on November 23, 2008 at 10:34 AM

I think libs (unless they’re hypocrites) should be eating Tofu-turkeyfor Thanksgiving.

ErinF on November 23, 2008 at 10:37 AM

I remember seeing a video years ago of a Dad in Louisiana (either Baton Rouge or new Orleans)who put a single shot into the head of his own son’s child molester as he was being walked by the police..killed him dead. The Dad dropped his gun and was himself taken into custody. The only charge ultimately filed against him by the grand jury was carrying a concealed weapon. It was really sweet justice!

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Don’t these writers go to school?

dentalque on November 22, 2008 at 10:53 AM

Yes. Of course, they’re all associated with The Annenberg Challenge.

soundingboard on November 23, 2008 at 10:40 AM

These writers likely congratulate each other for their erudition after watching Andrew Zimmern eat chicken uteruses and fried duck heads.

drjohn on November 23, 2008 at 10:46 AM

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Baton Rouge. And IIRC it went out live.
Then was played on an endless loop for weeks.

That dad was a pretty popular guy with my fellow Bayou Staters. Years later, still is.

soundingboard on November 23, 2008 at 10:52 AM

People who cringe at that, well, its life. I think its a bit ridiculous the shot was set up that way and to have Sarah be asked questions just to keep her casually talking while turkeys are being processed in the background. It no doubt was purposely staged, and she is comfortable with her coffee talking away. Good for her.

Sarah’s a tough gal, and a down home American girl. Go to some farm in Omaha or something, you’ll see the same thing.
Processing animals for consumption is not pretty. We’re so sensitized over anmials. Some anmials are needed for survival. Hey in some countries they eat dogs.

Toughen up people.

johnnyU on November 23, 2008 at 10:53 AM

The New York Times would really freak if they saw how arugula is pulled screaming from the ground and dismembered while still alive.

Jim62sch on November 22, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Yes. But somehow I think they would be OK with the harvesting of baby carrots.

soundingboard on November 23, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Ha! Rahm is her nemesis! I think he’s an idiot.

She should send him a frozen turkey.

soundingboard on November 23, 2008 at 11:01 AM

I’m surprised that so many Palin supporters had internet access. Who knew?!

Vernon Hardapple on November 22, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Everybody who wasn’t a liberal.

soundingboard on November 23, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Got to love it, Palin’s subliminal message to congress in the background.

N4646W on November 23, 2008 at 11:13 AM

I read the NYT article and left a comment early yesterday morning. There are five anti-Palin comments up and zero pro-Palin comments. The spin is in.

unclesmrgol on November 23, 2008 at 11:57 AM

After you read that article, here are some great Thanksgiving tips from the New York Times on how to prepare the perfect turkey!

Note that the words “execute” and “blood” have been replaced with “remove” and “juices” when Sarah Palin is not involved.

Ronnie on November 23, 2008 at 12:10 PM

No, chef Burros, that’s not juice. Turkeys aren’t fruit.

Ronnie on November 23, 2008 at 12:12 PM

unclesmrgol on November 23, 2008 at 11:57 AM

I gave up even trying to post comments. People will complain and they say they will look into it but it never changes.

Blake on November 23, 2008 at 12:13 PM

unclesmrgol on November 23, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Of course. But know this. That was the Gray Lady in the killing cone….she’s just spinning around with her head cut off as we speak.

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Maybe the Gray Lady should eat crow for Thanksgiving

They should eat something other than crow.

drjohn on November 23, 2008 at 12:16 PM

It may have been said before, but I need to add my thoughts. I continue to be amazed by people that don’t care that partial birth abortion is the delivery and murder of a human being, but crap their panties if a turkey gets prepped for their thanksgiving dinner!

In addition I think Sarah didn’t know what was done at that machine, but the shot framer was well aware. As a sound man I show up hours before the band I’m working with to set up and be prepared. I know television camera men that do so also. I believe that shot was framed to be a bad situation that will be used against Sarah when she decides what next office to attempt to persue. It was purposeful and hatefully thought out and prepared beforehand!

Vntnrse on November 23, 2008 at 12:21 PM

unclesmrgol on November 23, 2008 at 11:57 AM

No surprise there. The NYT, WaPo and related organs pretty much preach to the choir anyway.

ddrintn on November 23, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Vntnrse on November 23, 2008 at 12:21 PM

You are right on re:priorities and partial birth abortion. If that horror were to be televised, priorities would be put in place.

that shot was framed to be a bad situation that will be used against Sarah

Not in our book. Sarah is of this Earth. We like her real with her priorities in line.

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 12:30 PM

The Cuda hands down two warnings to Governor Crist … and he turns a weird shade of orange

joey24007 on November 23, 2008 at 12:40 PM

I think I did the right thing.

soundingboard on November 23, 2008 at 9:42 AM

You absolutely did, which far too many seem to be forgetting here when whining about some d@mn turkey getting whacked for food.

Perhaps the one in the cone was being donated to such a family.

When I was growing up, my dad and older brother hunted to put food on the table, as I did when I got old enough. With a family of 10, it was a necessity. The game warden would sometimes bring a deer that was hit or shot illegally, and we were certainly grateful. It irritates the he!! out of me when people get self-righteous about things like this without thinking where the food might be going.

91Veteran on November 23, 2008 at 12:44 PM

She should learn to control her media presence better.
I have no problem with hunting, slaughtering food animals, culling, etc.
The fact that we are having to step in and explain to our uninformed friends about the realities of animal husbandry and the food chain, is proof that this is a distraction from an otherwise excellent interview.

hunter on November 23, 2008 at 1:02 PM

I’m glad we’ve had the opportunity…you are right, hunter. Now let’s move on.

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 1:28 PM

This article shows exactly how out of touch many in this country have become. Where was the outcry at the slaughter of Americans on 9/11? What about the other innocents that die at the hands of the fanatics of the ‘religion of peace’? And don’t forget the innocent children that are needlessly killed every day in this country. This is also an example of the power that the mainstream media is trying to enact over us. This is completely manufactured. The only outrage that should be expressed over this bs is what should be shown to the media that is pushing their agenda on us.

4shoes on November 23, 2008 at 1:37 PM

I think many of you might be forgetting the possibility that she didn’t think this whole thing was a big deal. Processing your own game is an Alaskan tradition. It’s part of the lifestyle up there. They have meat processing plants to do it for you now, but when she was growing up you did it yourself. In almost every article about her childhood they tell the story of how her science teacher father first taught her to field dress a moose, and the only thing she was too squeamish to do is hold the eyeballs that he extracted to show to his middle school science class. She doesn’t appear to be someone nervous around animal processing. That’s what is meant by a “frontier woman”.

The real weirdness in all of this is how disconnected we are to nature. It never occurred to people that their turkey was once alive and had to be killed before it was packaged and purchased and laid on their table. A civilization living in such detached decadence can’t be healthy.

ramrocks on November 23, 2008 at 1:49 PM

OT:

It seems that Romney has already flipped on his position to let Detroit go bankrupt … he now favors the “Workout” plan in which D.C. will give aid to the big 3 if they can propose a plan that will ensure their survival in the long term

I voted for this guy in the primary … but come on now dude … he is already changing his position

and the next guest after him, Granholm, didn’t know what to say in response because she was prepared to combat his NY times article in which he stated his ORIGINAL position….

more here:

joey24007 on November 23, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Where was the outcry at the slaughter of Americans on 9/11?

Were you living under a rock?

Grow Fins on November 23, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Anyone who doesn’t like the turkey killing can choke on grass on thanksgiving.. I’ll be enjoying my pig….

An Era of Hate on November 23, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, baby peas, cranberry sauce, gravy, a warm baguette or three, butter, salt, pepper, some fume blanc or a fine lager, and it’s good to go!

Palin rocks~!

I’ll make her a Gimlet for dessert.

And on the CD changer a good melody… maybe Valses Poeticos on Spanish guitar.

A great Thanksgiving to all!

profitsbeard on November 23, 2008 at 2:41 PM

He’s flip flopped back to his position that he had in the Michigan Primary

lodge on November 23, 2008 at 2:43 PM

They are just angry because they are suppose to pick what part of real life we see.

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Exactly!

4shoes on November 23, 2008 at 2:46 PM

He’s flip flopped back to his position that he had in the Michigan Primary

lodge on November 23, 2008 at 2:43 PM

it does seem that is the case

just can’t trust this dude

joey24007 on November 23, 2008 at 2:52 PM

gracie on November 23, 2008 at 12:30 PM

No, I firmly and whole-heartedly agree with your opinion of Sarah. I do think she might not have realized what an unscrupulus interviewer was planning to do, and did to her, in order to get a shot that will be used against her in the future. As a technical “pro” I try to be ready for what I’m planning to do to put the musicians in the best possible “light” (or sound, actually, in my case). I think the interviewer was doing the same thing but for vastly different reasons.

In other words, I don’t fault Sarah, I fault the interviewer.

In my humble opinion…