Maybe the Gray Lady should eat crow for Thanksgiving

posted at 9:47 am on November 22, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

I’m always amused by people who decry the slaughter of animals for food as some barbaric practice, as if people haven’t been eating meat for the entire history of homo sapiens.  Where, exactly, do people like the editors of the New York Times think the turkey for their Thanksgiving originates — a Star Trek replicator?  Instead of laughing off what was a poor decision by Palin’s staff for an interview location, we instead hear shrieks of executions from the Gray Lady:

We’ve differed with Sarah Palin a great deal on substance. We don’t agree with her hardline approach to the Iraq War, her harsh anti-government rhetoric, and her style of negative campaigning.

But we also worry a bit about, how should we put it, the persona she has brought with her to national politics. We did not care at all for the swipe she took against community organizers at the Republican National Convention.

And then there’s this. You don’t have to be a huge animal lover to question why Governor Palin chose to be interviewed — while issuing a traditional seasonal pardon of a turkey — while turkeys were being executed in the background.

I read about this clip from Allahpundit and other bloggers before I bothered to watch it, and I thought it would be much worse. Color me underwhelmed:

If this is what twisted the NYT’s knickers, then make sure no one ever takes them to an industrial-scale slaughterhouse.  This is basically free-range handling.  We’re not seeing vast machinery beheading a string of turkeys in some sort of dehumanized assembly-line process.

One man butchers a turkey for food (two, actually), and the New York Times gets the vapors.  Have any of them ever eaten meat?  At all?  The editors of the Times should declare right now whether they plan to eat real turkey on Thanksgiving, and/or use turkey in sandwiches from now on.  If so, how would they expect to have that available to them without the kind of process seen in this clip?  Did they think that turkeys somehow committed suicide and left wills donating their bodies to family dining tables around the world?

Executed.  Someone send the Times a vat of smelling salts.

I’ll be home with my family in California for Thanksgiving this year, while my son’s famly heads to Alabama for a Southern Thanksgiving with my daughter-in-law’s family.  We will be enjoying all of the trimmings as well as the traditional turkey, and I doubt that any of us will be surprised to learn that someone killed the turkey before we shoved it into the oven.  Maybe the New York Times considers that news in Manhattan, but that only gives readers an idea of how out-of-touch the Paper of Shrieking Hysteria has become.

Update: Tom Maguire thought that the birds committed suicide after several hours of forced listening to NPR.  Now, that would just be cruel.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

For Thanksgiving I’m gutting and roasting a NYT reporter.
Reporters…the other white meat.

Coronagold on November 22, 2008 at 3:19 PM

You wanna marinate it. Reporters are real gamey.

CherokeeJack on November 22, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Urbanized Americans, conservative included, are sickly hot-house flowers with a total disconnect between what they want and how to get it. If the rural conveyor belt stopped these pathetic weaklings would shrivel and die.

Ummm, yeah.

Guilty as charged.

/sigh

Bob's Kid on November 22, 2008 at 3:39 PM

I am a huge Palin fan, but Sarah really, why do you hand deliver this kind of ammo to your opponents? Please hire someone for PR, we need you.

Wade on November 22, 2008 at 3:49 PM

I must get one of those cones. I hang my birds and must hold the wings tight to the bird’s body. If I don’t, they flap violently, breaking the joints and spoiling the finished carcass. I have to hold the wings really tight, they are very powerful. So the bird shakes and the head flops and the blood goes everywhere. It takes a week before I have an appetite for turkey, the plucking evisceration are quite smelly processes. Why do this? The meat is out of this world, I control the process, they live happy, though short, lives and I like to hear them talking to their wild cousins in the forest across the road.

Grunch42 on November 22, 2008 at 3:50 PM

They didn’t bat an eye when Saddam butchered human beings… but it’s the end of humanity when a turkey becomes Thanksgiving dinner.

Priorities, hippies, priorities.

Texas Rainmaker on November 22, 2008 at 3:53 PM

For Thanksgiving I’m gutting and roasting a NYT reporter.
Reporters…the other white meat.

Coronagold on November 22, 2008 at 3:19 PM

You wanna marinate it. Reporters are real gamey.

CherokeeJack on November 22, 2008 at 3:32 PM

You can usually pick up some good hobo recipes at Ace of Spades. I think they’d work for most reporters as long as you soak the reporters in vinegar for a couple of days to leech out the smugness.

Y-not on November 22, 2008 at 4:03 PM

What’s Obama having for Thanksgiving?

right wing chicky on November 22, 2008 at 4:22 PM

What’s Obama having for Thanksgiving?

right wing chicky on November 22, 2008 at 4:22 PM

I doubt he celebrates the founding of this inferior country.

Y-not on November 22, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Seems that Team Obama may take a hardline approach as well, anti-government rhetoric may make a comeback in 2012 (if not before), and “negative campaigning”? What about the fact that the NYT itself became an Obama campaign attack dog?

And swiping at community organizers…what an outrage.

ddrintn on November 22, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Oh HOrrors! my husband just killed a deer with a gun. we’ll be having venison for Thanksgiving.

kelley in virginia on November 22, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Mine hasn’t yet this year, but not for lack of trying. I don’t like duck, but my Dad just took my three-year-old squirrel hunting though. They executed eight squirrels.

Renae on November 22, 2008 at 4:36 PM

According to the New York Slimes it’s ok for obama, to support throwing a newborn human survivor of a botched abortion into a dark storeroom to die of dehydration and exposure

BUT – kill and dress a turkey.??.. OH THE HORRORS..

The NYT is nothing but a bunch of hysterical wusses.

Maybe they ought to ask obama about what happened when his buddy Odinga lost the election.. You know, the machete murders, the buring of a bunch of refugees in a church???

Oh, wait a dang minute.. I forgot, he is their chosen messiah and not Gov. Palin plus those were just political opponents of his friend, not TURKEYS.. Gee am I stupid or what??

bullseye on November 22, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Renae, I might have to go with the tofurkey instead of squirrel! Just rats with bushy tails IMO, but you enjoy them.

I’ll be going with the biggest fresh turkey I can find, little turkey icecreams from BR and loads of cranberries.
Even if I were to swear off red meat, I just can’t pill together misery for fish and fowl “executions”

clnurnberg on November 22, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Wade on November 22, 2008 at 3:49 PM

It’s seriously crappy of the reporter to do an interview with something that belongs on Dirty Jobs going on in the background. And I mean, look at the guy gawking. He’s just as distracting as the actual killing is.

It’d be just like positioning the camera on her so that it looks like a tree is growing out of her head or something. It’s unprofessional at best, and downright dirty politics at worst.

I mean look … She’s not even in the center of the screen! I have a very hard time believing a cameraman worth his salt did that be total accident.

apollyonbob on November 22, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Ball less sissies

pat on November 22, 2008 at 5:31 PM

I’m NOT sure Gov. Palin doesn’t do things like this on purpose!

Just an in-your-face to the elite media from the lower 49!

What? She now is expected to put up a backdrop to protect some east coast nut cases??

Sarah – You Go Girl!

Hal-9000 on November 22, 2008 at 5:31 PM

I don’t think anyone wants to eat a bird that died of “natural causes” either

Butters on November 22, 2008 at 5:40 PM

It’s not a “trick” and the left isn’t “scared”. Remember how the right was all “YAY HOWARD DEAN!!!!” because he would get his ass kicked in an actual election? Yeah, well, that’s what this is.

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Nice try, but your analogy doesn’t hold up. Howard Dean never broke television viewer records when he gave speeches or appeared on television shows. After Howard Dean lost, he didn’t have interview offers from every major national and international media outlet. No one tuned in to see what Howard Dean would do next. Perhaps it’s just that she’s so attractive and we live in an age of celebrity worship, but for whatever reason Sarah Palin still fascinates people. She will continue to do so. And you have grossly underestimated her character and her accomplishments as a governor.

The tragic result from having all this partisan bile heaped on her is that it has turned her into a caricature, when she is in fact a very brave and honest public servant. I don’t know whether she would make a good president, but no one can doubt that she has been a damn good governor of Alaska.

Did anyone actually listen to what she said in this interview? She said that her administration had the foresight to plan for the day when the price of oil would drop, as it now has. They are in sound fiscal shape because she refused to grow government when they had a surplus, and instead decided to save for a rainy day. In other word, she is a good governor. I think that counts far more than this stupid turkey gaffe.

And why is no one commenting on the fact that this is an “organic” turkey farm? This is the sort of operation the NYT crowd should love. Killing turkeys with that cone is a very humane way to do it. The turkeys you idiots buy at the grocery store were probably fed hormones and processed in some huge industrial slaughter house. This is the proper sort of place to buy a grain fed free range turkey.

ramrocks on November 22, 2008 at 5:58 PM

More on the story on ADN:

Schmidt said he was busy during the governor’s visit and didn’t realize turkeys were being killed right behind the governor, or he would have stopped it. He said the publicity is increasing turkey orders but he doesn’t like the fallout.

“They’re sliming the governor and I think it’s wrong, totally, wrong,” Schmidt said. “I mean, come on guys, get a life.”

MSNBC’s host David Shuster, substituting for Keith Olbermann on “Countdown,” said on his show Thursday night that “governor Palin’s office is now telling our NBC news desk that a photographer asked her if she wanted that as a backdrop and she replied ‘no worries.’ ” KTUU’s MacDonald said he’s not aware of that.

Palin spokesman McAllister said she may have said that before the slaughter started, but not after it began.

Phoenician on November 22, 2008 at 5:58 PM

After reading that garbage, I could just murder a cup of coffee!

OldEnglish on November 22, 2008 at 6:22 PM

What does The On have for Thanksgiving? Please make them prove he was born here…this is going further than partial birth abortion!

Kenyan police arrest ‘cannibal’

Kenyan police have arrested a man who allegedly killed his one-year-old nephew, and ate part of his head.
The 45-year-old man was sipping blood from the infant’s head when he was restrained by neighbours, police say.

Police say they have referred the man to a psychiatrist before charging him. The man had been arguing with the boy’s mother.

Residents of Koibatek village in Rift Valley Province, who are still in shock, describe him as quiet and reserved.

Soup

Koibatek police chief, Maurice Kiplagat, told BBC News Online that the man has confessed to killing the boy and has no history of cannibalism.

“He looks very normal to me but we have to get doctors to check on him first before we proceed with the case,” he said.

He said the man had been trying to force the infant’s mother, who is his sister, to return to her estranged husband.

After a heated dispute, he picked up the boy and cut off his head with a machete, forcing his sister to flee the home, said Senior Superintendent Kiplagat. Web source from BBC and London Times — Our media misses this stuff.

We’ll have to watch the interns more closely than we did under Clinton

IlikedAUH2O on November 22, 2008 at 6:35 PM

It’s okay, NY Times! Those turkeys were plastic.

Django on November 22, 2008 at 6:37 PM

canditaylor68 on November 22, 2008 at 10:01 AM

LOL, excellent reference, ct68.

Django on November 22, 2008 at 6:49 PM

I have always said this about the media, and by thunder I’ll say it again…THE MEDIA ARE NOTHING BUT JIVE TURKEYS AND I AIN’T JIVE TALKIN’!

BobAnthony on November 22, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Once the SCOTUS has given rights to terrorists to be tried in civil courts, rather than military courts, we can only await the day when the same libnut Justices rule that livestock be granted habeus rights and be accorded due process before their ‘executions’. To paraphrase NRO, Gov Palin should hold her next newser in an abortion clinic, but I think that while the NYSlimes feel that killing of turkeys is barbaric, they won’t find the killing of the most vulnerable humans likewise to be barbaric and unconscionable, nor would they use the term execution or executioners for abortionists.

eaglewingz08 on November 22, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Can anyone see a skit set in, say, 2011 at the annual Born-alive infant Thanksgiving pardon? Can you imagine Barry O. naming the little thing? The follow-up interview, with the little one exposed on a gurney in the background? —a modest proposal . .

fraterjim on November 22, 2008 at 7:42 PM

“Executed”? “Turkey carnage”?
These reporters are teh gheyer than skinny ribbed t-shirts.
Pathetic sissies….bunch of big girls blouses.

LimeyGeek on November 22, 2008 at 8:08 PM

This operation is small scale and frankly close to free range (well as free range as you can get with wolves and bears around). The cries of Andrew Sullivan and the NYTs are simply hysterical. And as far as I know, Sully and many at the NYTs eat turkey.

Now the term hysterical is somewhat sexist, but it fits these hypocrites to a tee.

Mr. Joe on November 22, 2008 at 8:18 PM

Some people are even worse than this. My mother wouldn’t eat homegrown vegetables because they weren’t sanitary….lol.

Guess What’s For Dinner! It’s Food People!

GinaE on November 22, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Shut up and swallow.

SouthernGent on November 22, 2008 at 8:40 PM

The NY Times reminds me of Billy Crystal in City Slickers when he and the rest of the city slickers find out where the cows they are herding are going and Jack Plance asks them if they think beef comes in plastic wrap and styrofoam.

flytier on November 22, 2008 at 8:44 PM

New idea for my new sushi joint.

Pull fish directly out from aquarium…

chop, slice

and lay it on some rice.

Freshest sushi in town.

If PETA messes with me, my new liberal friends will put them in a turkey processor.

Saltysam on November 22, 2008 at 8:52 PM

Poor Sarah has the uncluttered mind of a tot.

benny shakar on November 22, 2008 at 8:54 PM

benny shakar on November 22, 2008 at 8:54 PM

Where does that put someone that spends in inordinate amount of time trolling in a blog comment section dressed in their pajamas?

Saltysam on November 22, 2008 at 9:05 PM

ramrocks on November 22, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Saltysam on November 22, 2008 at 9:10 PM

Dear NYT:

You need to learn to recognize postmodernism. By superimposing the politician’s ridiculous ‘pardon’ of a Thanksgiving turkey on the reality that turkeys are slaughtered and eaten for Thanksgiving, Palin is deconstructing myth, artifice and cant.

Bartrams Garden on November 22, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Ya know, I gotta agree, if she’s got someone (and she dang well better) advising her on media events, they need to be fired, and fired yesterday. This was completely avoidable, and completely foreseeable. I was in PR and marketing for 18 years before getting out and forming my own business in an unrelated field. Whoever Sarah has hired to coordinate her media events had better be fired right now. They are either trying to undermine her, or are completely, totally incompetent.
I love ya’ darling…wanna hire me???? I know how to make you look good!

Chewy the Lab on November 22, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Saltysam on November 22, 2008 at 9:05 PM

Now THAT was funny! Made my whole evening, it did….how many times do you think Mr. BS will have to read it before he gets it?

dmh0667 on November 22, 2008 at 9:18 PM

ramrocks on November 22, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Yeah, we were never ever afraid of Howard Dean *snicker*. We didn’t have to resort to cheap vilification of Dean, either. He did that pretty much all on his own.

ddrintn on November 22, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Good grief, I live on 245 acres of woodlands by myself……deer, rabbits are more of a pest. Wild turkeys are out here too, but they too, need to be “harvested/controled”. I am always amazed by people who shop in a grocery store and don’t really think from where that piece of meat comes.

Chicago, Obama’s base-city, used to be the beef processing center of the United States ………….. Chicago is also the center for trading in commodities such as pork bellies and other animal commodities.

SC.Charlie on November 22, 2008 at 9:40 PM

I bet you people loved Gail Collins’ most recent editorial in The Gray Lady, explaining why George W. should do the honorable thing and resign, so that President-elect Obama can get a jump-start on rebuilding this great nation.

benny shakar on November 22, 2008 at 9:49 PM

I’d let Sarah Palin grind my turkey any day.

Sir Andrew on November 22, 2008 at 9:49 PM

From ET:

Palin’s spokesperson tells ET the bird butchering wasn’t going on when the shot was set up, and a cameraman “ignored” the governor’s staff’s request to remove the graphic sight once cameras were rolling.

If true, Palin’s media person should have simply said “HEY – STOP – We’re not going to do this with that in the background” and simply STOPPED it. When are they going to learn? Is it possible Palin tinks any media is good media? because this makes her people look incompetent, which makes her look bad. This stuff has got to stop…she has got to show some media savvy if she ever wants her good name back. She has it with us, but we are the minority.

JustTruth101 on November 22, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Ed, you and Allah know that any kind of Sarah thread (“Sarah buys white bread at Wallsilla Sav-A-lot”), will create major response. More power to ‘ya!

Chewy the Lab on November 22, 2008 at 9:58 PM

From what did she think the turkey was being pardoned? Having to clean the erasers after school?

Ronnie on November 22, 2008 at 9:58 PM

From ET:
JustTruth101 on November 22, 2008 at 9:58 PM

You’re kidding, right — they’re making a statement through Entertainment Tonight?

Heaven forbid this ditz ever appears before the grown up media!

benny shakar on November 22, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Could not agree more. First rule of PR/media relations: don’t let your client look like a total dumb azz.
Sarah was snookered, big time!

Chewy the Lab on November 22, 2008 at 10:03 PM

benny shakar on November 22, 2008 at 9:49 PM

I guess that Gail Collins is as delusional as the ‘reporter’ who was making up stories about the Sniper.

First of all, that would be constitutionally impossible. If GWB were to resign, then, according to the US CONSTITUION, you know that document obama wants to shred, then Dick Cheney would be Prez. Even if Cheney were to resign, then guess what, it would go to the speaker of the house… Nancy Belalogusi.. Even if she wanted to, there is no way she could transfer power to obamamamim

So, if what you told me is correct, then Gail Collins is a flaming moron.

Hey, Maybe Clarence Thomas will decide to have the Full SCOTUS hear Alan Keyes lawsuit. That would be fun…(I think it’s Keyes, … anyway, its the SCOTUS conference on Dec 5)…

As far as rebuilding the country, I’m sure a marxist leaning ‘community organizer’ with NO executive experience, a misunderstanding of our constituion, shady allegiances, tons of illegal overseas campaign financing, and less than 2 years in the senate with no military experience will be able to work wonders.. Yessiree Can’t wait.. Every bit of past experience says that raising taxes stifles the economy yet he wants to Raise taxes. I suppose the laws of economics will bend to HIS will.

I also suppose that those wall street traders are absolute MORONS.. Yes, dumber than dog poo. The dow was at 9600 before obama was elected.. Those idiots on wall street have no idea how strong our economy will be.. All of them must be idiots because they keep selling.. Gee it was almost down to 7500. How could so many distinguished trader be SO STOOOOPID.. I mean, obama’s voters said that we wouldn’t have to worry about filling our gas tanks or paying our mortgage any more.

Oh, and it is brilliant bringing out the clinton retreads. Same people who were only able to have a decent economy because of the tech bubble. I do have some nostalgia for Rush pronouncing Robert B Reissssssssccccchhhhhh.. That will bring back my youth as I wait in neverending lines for toilet paper or shoes (won’t be able to get both in the same month.)

bullseye on November 22, 2008 at 10:05 PM

I’d let Sarah Palin grind my turkey any day.

Sir Andrew on November 22, 2008 at 9:49 PM

You had to know someone was going to respond, right?
Grind your own dang turkey!

Chewy the Lab on November 22, 2008 at 10:08 PM

And you know, just look at the shot itself. Why the hell would she even stand in front of the blood rough? Doesn’t she even look around to see where she is? Alaska itself is the most beautiful backdrop, could there really have been no better spot to stand, even without the turkey being slaughtered behind her, she was still standing in front of a blood-n-gore-filled trough. I can’t imagine any kind of successful politician with that little awareness of how the trough alone would look.

JustTruth101 on November 22, 2008 at 10:08 PM

Heaven forbid this ditz ever appears before the grown up media!

benny shakar on November 22, 2008 at 10:02 PM

You mean she should go into a shell like the ditz who’s now our VP-elect?

ddrintn on November 22, 2008 at 10:23 PM

JustTruth101 on November 22, 2008 at 10:08 PM

Give it a rest. And have a nice thanksgiving eating your Tofurkey

Noelie on November 22, 2008 at 10:24 PM

benny shakar on November 22, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me. Cue the laugh track.

ddrintn on November 22, 2008 at 10:24 PM

JustTruth101 on November 22, 2008 at 10:08 PM

Was there something in the video that you can’t see in a grocery store? That ain’t ketchup dripping off the T-bones, you know.

Ronnie on November 22, 2008 at 10:29 PM

I can’t wait for that rag to die. And if any of my tax money goes to bail it out I will be seriously PO’ed.

Venusian Visitor on November 22, 2008 at 10:33 PM

hardline approach to the Iraq War

Trust the NYT, epitome of moronic leftism, to complain that this beautiful patriot actually wanted to win the peace in Iraq. They are truly clueless beyond belief.

Sarah’s hardline position on Iraq is like her hardline position on life. She’s in favor of doing the right thing, even if it’s difficult. This is why we love and respect her and despise the NYT and all that it stands for. The NYT tireless and tiresome advocacy for defeat in Iraq should never be forgotten or forgiven.

The pacification of Iraq and Trig are but two of the many jewels in Sarah’s crown.

Basilsbest on November 22, 2008 at 10:33 PM

Good grief. What is wrong with this country? I don’t think we “soft sons of Democracy” could beat Hitler if he were around today. Or even Mussolini.

jazz_piano on November 22, 2008 at 10:01 AM

Or even Vichy France.

Sapwolf on November 22, 2008 at 10:34 PM

For Thanksgiving I’m gutting and roasting a NYT reporter.
Reporters…the other white meat.

Coronagold on November 22, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Actually, baby….it’s the other, other white meat.

Seriously, in response to your post, you have it incorrect.

NYT reporters = the other red (Komrade) meat

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 22, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Give it a rest. And have a nice thanksgiving eating your Tofurkey
Noelie on November 22, 2008 at 10:24 PM

Ronnie on November 22, 2008 at 10:29 PM

You guys are kidding, right? You actually think it was a good move for her to stand there? And you think it was good of her staff to allow the shot to continue?

I’m a Palin supporter and a conservative. I don’t have any problem with it myself, but this makes her look dumb which I, as a Palin supporter, am against. I can’t believe you guys think that was a good decision on her part.

I am so sick of explaining things to people that just don’t get it. This hurts her image. Part of politics is image. She has to rebuild her image with the uneducated electroate who don’t read hotair, and this doesn’t help. WTF is wrong with you guys? You don’t get that? Sheesh.

JustTruth101 on November 22, 2008 at 10:36 PM

I have a lot of respect for ranchers and farmers. Years ago when my grandparents lived in the hills north of Pleasanton, CA we visited them for a holiday. Their neighbors across the road were out of town and their cows got out. I saw a couple near the road. My grandma tells me “get your grandfather and get those cows rounded up.”

I did a freekin double-take and told her “SAY WHAT?”.

Sure enough, gramps and I rounded them up and got them back and shut the gate. There was even one cow standing on the back porch of the house. There were no angry bulls, just cows.

Now my brother and I did tease a bull in the other back neighbors property. I’d hold the barbwire open so my brother could go in and egg him on. Believe me, I never thought of messin with him and letting the barbwire back. I’d lose a brother. But it WAS FUN.

Oh, I forgot to mention that my grandfather raised chickens for eggs and would chop off the head with a hatchet. One time the damn chicken got away AFTER its head was chopped off. Don’t ask me how, it just did.

Sapwolf on November 22, 2008 at 10:44 PM

I can’t believe you guys think that was a good decision on her part.

JustTruth101 on November 22, 2008 at 10:36 PM

I don’t think many of the comments left on this thread (which you should go back and read) are saying it was any kind of decision, it’s just many don’t see this as a big deal to get exercised over.

…and some have gotten downright hysterical about it.

Why should you care what some lefty nitwit thinks about this anyway? After all, they likely are the same ones who thought Oblahblah would be a good choice for President.

91Veteran on November 22, 2008 at 10:44 PM

I’m a Palin supporter and a conservative.

JustTruth101 on November 22, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Oh please. A minute ago she was someone with “that little awareness.” Go shovel it somewhere else.

Ronnie on November 22, 2008 at 10:45 PM

JustTruth101 on November 22, 2008 at 10:08 PM

I understand what you mean, but she went to a Turkey Farm in her hometown to speak. It’s beneath her? She’s an Alaskan and that was as natural a setting as any other backdrop there….all of it. She doesn’t think in terms of how she might look. It’s part of her beauty.

gracie on November 22, 2008 at 10:46 PM

Apparently some morons would prefer the headline be “Palin Finds Meat Industry Repulsive.” Well, she doesn’t, and neither do I.

Ronnie on November 22, 2008 at 10:47 PM

JustTruth101 on November 22, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Take it easy dude. She’s got 8 years til 2016. She is a strong woman. The last thing I want is for Sarah to stop being her wonderful authentic self. As soon as she stops, I’m stuck voting for Romney or Jindal. The Face vs. the Nerd.

Sapwolf on November 22, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Ronnie on November 22, 2008 at 10:45 PM

You’re such an idiot. So I can’t support someone and criticize a bad decision? You never criticize anyone you support? You blindly follow? That puts you on the same level as a mindless Obamabot.

JustTruth101 on November 22, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Sapwolf on November 22, 2008 at 10:48 PM

yeah, that’s a good point.

JustTruth101 on November 22, 2008 at 10:49 PM

JustTruth101 on November 22, 2008 at 10:36 PM

There’s no point in carefully crafting an image…if it wasn’t this, it would be something else. As the old saying goes, if Sarah were to walk on water, the NYT headline would say “Sarah Palin can’t swim”.

It’s best to just be real. Sarah knows this…that’s why, when she was reading the turkey pardon and got to the point that said “I, Sarah Palin, friend to all creatures great and small…”, she threw an obvious elbow nudge at the turkey farm owner.

If the media says you’re Satan, have fun being Satan and laugh at it. I clearly remember the attacks on Ronald Reagan and he had far fewer alternative channels to get his message out. Sarah will be fine – but we do need to get her some financial support and a better staff.

Who do you think more people will be talking about over their Thanksgiving turkey dinner – Sarah Palin or Barack Obama?

Jim62sch on November 22, 2008 at 10:49 PM

JustTruth101 on November 22, 2008 at 10:48 PM

That’s quite an extrapolation from me not finding the meat industry repulsive. Perhaps you should reconsider that logic while you’re off f—ing yourself (once you remove the stick, of course).

Ronnie on November 22, 2008 at 10:51 PM

NYT screams and yells at the beheading of a frickin’ turkey (and I’ll bet 99.9% of their staff will be eating this on Thanksgiving). However, when innocent people are beheaded by the jihadi animals on the other side of the world, they’re embarrassingly silent (unless they can blame it on Bush). What a bunch of imbalanced, unethical, hypocritical scum!

ErinF on November 22, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Sarah was snookered, big time!

Chewy the Lab on November 22, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Chill out. Sarah will be Sarah. And if America doesn’t like it, then America loses, not the other way around.

She was wonderful. I’m jealous of the pardoned turkey.

Sapwolf on November 22, 2008 at 10:53 PM

Actually, I can completely picture Palin butchering her own food. And I say this as a compliment to her. She is the type of woman emulate.

ErinF on November 22, 2008 at 10:55 PM

See, Ronnie, look at Jim62sch, Sapwolf, gracie, 91Veteran. They all disagreed with part of my comment and stated their disagreement in a cogent, reasonable, logical manner that makes sense and adds to the discussion. It must be because they are clear thinkers with something to say. You, however, are obviously a fool and possibly a troll. First you attribute something to me that I did not write, second you further reveal your stupidity with an affirmation of your capability to blindly devote yourself to someone, and then you prove conclusively you have nothing to say by reducing your discourse to crude and vulgur suggestions which have no bearing on the discussion whatsoever.

I don’t suffer fools, and I don’t feed trolls. Go crawl back under your rock because I won’t be responding to any of your posts moving forward. Idiots like you take up space that reasonable people don’t care to read.

JustTruth101 on November 22, 2008 at 10:58 PM

JustTruth101 on November 22, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Are you back already? Dude, next time think about baseball.

Ronnie on November 22, 2008 at 11:01 PM

If you think it’s bad now, just wait. What is Sarah’s chief disadvantage compared to Ivy League politicians? Answer: she’s poor. That’s why she had to take the staff that McCain gave her – she couldn’t afford to hire her own. And the press will do everything they can to keep her from overcoming this disadvantage.

If she takes a book deal for say, $5 million, she’ll be characterized as a gold digger. Every press story will begin with “Alaska millionare Sarah Palin” or “Hockey mom turned millionare Sarah Palin” in an attempt to drive a wedge between her and the people. If she writes a book and then later attends a ribbon-cutting at a new Barnes & Noble in Anchorage, it will be screamed to the rafters as a conflict of interest.

The fact that Purple-lipped Messiah made his personal money from book deals will be ignored.

Jim62sch on November 22, 2008 at 11:03 PM

She was wonderful. I’m jealous of the pardoned turkey.

Sapwolf on November 22, 2008 at 10:53 PM

Yes, she was and is wonderful. But I think a lot of what folks on this thread are saying is that she has to be a lot more careful in picking her venues. The real issue is not that Sarah made a mistake, the issue is that someone who advised her made a very serious mistake in not putting a halt on that video.
If she runs in four years or eight, that shot is going to haunt her, and whether or not we think it was oh-so-funny and not worth a hill o’ beans, or whether we’re on the other side and think Sarah is a mercilous turkey hater and thinks all birds should be euthanized on principle, will be irrelavant.
It was a very avoidable, and potentially, very costly mistake…and it wasn’t her’s. She better fire the person responsible, and she better do it yesterday.

Chewy the Lab on November 22, 2008 at 11:12 PM

They also know how to stage photo ops in Kenya. My gripe, in case you missed it, is that she UNAWARE as to how the scene would play in AREAS SHE NEEDS TO WIN THE PRESIDENCY.

She learned nothing from Couric making her look stupid. Her handlers should be fired. She should fade away.

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 10:33 AM

You have to lighten up dude. Sarah is fine just the beautiful way she is. The last thing she should be is something she is not. If that means maybe not being electable, so be it. That is not her fault, but the American people’s fault. If this country cannot handle a down to earth flower of the prairie American woman, then they don’t deserve her anyway. They can have the same old phonies they have now.

Sapwolf on November 22, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Chewy the Lab on November 22, 2008 at 10:03 PM

No doubt you are right about Sarah’s PR, etc., but Sarah is a woman on her own on a Governor’s salary with a good but fish picking snow-machine husband and several children with more on the way and a big territory with important resources to attend. No extra $$ for image, no time for pretense…and no Alaskan setting beneath her. NY and DC are appalled…geewhiz

gracie on November 22, 2008 at 11:14 PM

She was photographed taking down a moose. Exactly who is going to be offended by this who wasn’t offended by that?

Ronnie on November 22, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Chewy the Lab on November 22, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Chewy,

Quit projecting your POTUS dreams on Sarah. Cut it out now! Manly would never say something like that. She is fine the way she is. Quit suggesting she should be JUST like any sleazy politician. Alaskans love her the way she is. Quit fighting that war that doesn’t exist (at least not yet). If something like that gets you all upset, you are gonna have a miserable existence over the next 4 or 8 years.

Sapwolf on November 22, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Jim62sch on November 22, 2008 at 10:49 PM

The libs hate iron ladies:

If my critics saw me walking over the Thames they would say it was because I couldn’t swim.

Margaret Thatcher

Saltysam on November 22, 2008 at 11:19 PM

And will everyone at NYT (and anyone else crying outrage at this) be eating Tofuturkey this Thanksgiving?

Mmmmmmm… TOFU-TURKEY……

ErinF on November 22, 2008 at 11:22 PM

Chewy the Lab on November 22, 2008 at 11:12 PM

You know, sometimes firing people who make an honest mistake isn’t the answer, especially when they have a family too and the economy is tanking. Have a heart like Sarah. You can bet she knows Christ’s parable about the prodigal son. I don’t know if she likes to fire a sizable % of workers like some managers, but kneejerk firings are usually not the best solution. Sure, fire Monegan for going around you on the budget stuff, that’s insubordination, but don’t be so fast to fire people in general.

Sapwolf on November 22, 2008 at 11:24 PM

I don’t understand the controversy. If Palin was at a tire factory, would she be standing infront of the production line giving interviews? Of course.

The turkey is a product just like toothbrushes & can openers.

I lived near a turkey farm when I was a kid. Stupidest animals I have ever seen…besides Obama worshipers.

portlandon on November 22, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Where we’re from, we don’t have a problem with how our turkey met his maker. We hunt, we fish, we shoot our own turkeys. Watching this video was a big nothingburger. Anyone who gets bent out of shape over this video better never eat beef again. If you think this was bad, you’d effing faint over how cows are handled.

john1schn on November 22, 2008 at 11:32 PM

portlandon on November 22, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Obama worshipers are another kind of animal. We call them sheep. Of course, they could also be lemmings.

john1schn on November 22, 2008 at 11:33 PM

Sapwolf on November 22, 2008 at 10:53 PM
Sapwolf on November 22, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Jeez Sweetknees, you’re giving me a complex (blush)I’m oh-so-less than enraged. I am simply saying that I think she could be much better served by the people who (supposedly work for her and have her best interests at heart.)
I don’t mean she’s some sort of political poodle who has no mind of her own! Of course Sarah is Sarah, I have said that a gazillion times! But realities are that when you hit the big time you have to be super, super careful(and as much as we BOTH love her, she DOES have an agenda now, as she should).
I still maintain this was a careless act, albeit not fatal. But it was unnecessary in the extreme.
As far as my POTUS dreams, well, I can only dream.
Your comment about Manly…(as in chastising me), well, PFFFFFFT, sir.

Chewy the Lab on November 22, 2008 at 11:36 PM

The controversy is that Obama voters don’t want to have to endure the trauma of knowing where their food comes from. And it’s another way for them to try to publicly tarnish Palin.

Let them eat TOFU-TURKEY! Or, they can STFU.

ErinF on November 22, 2008 at 11:37 PM

Sapwolf, I feel like a total fool. You were pimping me the whole time you adorable troll.

Chewy the Lab on November 22, 2008 at 11:38 PM

I don’t understand the controversy.

portlandon on November 22, 2008 at 11:25 PM

There is no controversy, other than the fabricated shock by the Freak Show On The Left .

Anything that gets under their skin will continue to elevate Palin to prominence, and help illustrate the lunacy that guides the leftist zombies. It is quite revealing.

Saltysam on November 22, 2008 at 11:39 PM

portlandon on November 22, 2008 at 11:25 PM

I too, lived next to a turkey farm…remember the smell after a good rain????
GAG!

Chewy the Lab on November 22, 2008 at 11:40 PM

I do hope all those libs who are complaining about this enjoy their Tofurky this Thanksgiving.

More white meat for the rest of us. Pass the gravy!

evergreen on November 22, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Purple-lipped Messiah
Jim62sch on November 22, 2008 at 11:03 PM

Racist demagoguery will always have a home on kooky conservative blogs like this one.

benny shakar on November 22, 2008 at 11:43 PM

benny shakar on November 22, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Ah, Benny, you’re so reasonable predictable.

Chewy the Lab on November 22, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Purple-lipped Messiah
Jim62sch on November 22, 2008 at 11:03 PM

benny shakar on November 22, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Oh, his ridiculous personal appearance is completely independent of his race. Don’t forget his jug ears (like aircraft stabilizers) and the idiotic-looking mole on his nose. Don’t they have plastic surgeons in Chicago? Shouldn’t he have that thing checked out in case it’s malignant?

Jim62sch on November 22, 2008 at 11:47 PM

Just like all the SH!T people like you spewed about Bush the last 8 YEARS had a home on NYT, LAT, CBS, NBC, ABC, AP, UPI, Newsweek, TIME, PBS, MSNBC, CNN, Daily Show, Letterman, all of hollyweird, Al Jazeera, NPR, and every other freakshow failing publication known to man.

GTFO, twerp.

ErinF on November 22, 2008 at 11:50 PM

Methinks I have touched a nerve with the conservative kooks.

benny shakar on November 22, 2008 at 11:53 PM

Methinks I have touched a nerve with the conservative kooks.

benny shakar on November 22, 2008 at 11:53 PM

Benny, have you ever seen Urkel on his bicycle? It will scare the bejesus out of Putin, Kim, and Ahmedinijad.

I think your Messiah needs to spend a little more time on weights and a little less on cardio.

Jim62sch on November 22, 2008 at 11:58 PM