Maybe the Gray Lady should eat crow for Thanksgiving

posted at 9:47 am on November 22, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

I’m always amused by people who decry the slaughter of animals for food as some barbaric practice, as if people haven’t been eating meat for the entire history of homo sapiens.  Where, exactly, do people like the editors of the New York Times think the turkey for their Thanksgiving originates — a Star Trek replicator?  Instead of laughing off what was a poor decision by Palin’s staff for an interview location, we instead hear shrieks of executions from the Gray Lady:

We’ve differed with Sarah Palin a great deal on substance. We don’t agree with her hardline approach to the Iraq War, her harsh anti-government rhetoric, and her style of negative campaigning.

But we also worry a bit about, how should we put it, the persona she has brought with her to national politics. We did not care at all for the swipe she took against community organizers at the Republican National Convention.

And then there’s this. You don’t have to be a huge animal lover to question why Governor Palin chose to be interviewed — while issuing a traditional seasonal pardon of a turkey — while turkeys were being executed in the background.

I read about this clip from Allahpundit and other bloggers before I bothered to watch it, and I thought it would be much worse. Color me underwhelmed:

If this is what twisted the NYT’s knickers, then make sure no one ever takes them to an industrial-scale slaughterhouse.  This is basically free-range handling.  We’re not seeing vast machinery beheading a string of turkeys in some sort of dehumanized assembly-line process.

One man butchers a turkey for food (two, actually), and the New York Times gets the vapors.  Have any of them ever eaten meat?  At all?  The editors of the Times should declare right now whether they plan to eat real turkey on Thanksgiving, and/or use turkey in sandwiches from now on.  If so, how would they expect to have that available to them without the kind of process seen in this clip?  Did they think that turkeys somehow committed suicide and left wills donating their bodies to family dining tables around the world?

Executed.  Someone send the Times a vat of smelling salts.

I’ll be home with my family in California for Thanksgiving this year, while my son’s famly heads to Alabama for a Southern Thanksgiving with my daughter-in-law’s family.  We will be enjoying all of the trimmings as well as the traditional turkey, and I doubt that any of us will be surprised to learn that someone killed the turkey before we shoved it into the oven.  Maybe the New York Times considers that news in Manhattan, but that only gives readers an idea of how out-of-touch the Paper of Shrieking Hysteria has become.

Update: Tom Maguire thought that the birds committed suicide after several hours of forced listening to NPR.  Now, that would just be cruel.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

The news anchor reported Palin’s staff said “no worries” about the background.

According to the TV station, there was no work going on in the background when the cameras were set up.

Jim62sch on November 22, 2008 at 12:10 PM

angryed on November 22, 2008 at 12:01 PM

We “get it”, we don’t care. I am not interested in a fake president from a plastic world. The appeal of Gov. Palin is that she faces the same challenges that we all do, budgets, children and changing times. I am not interested in someone who worries about which profile looks best or whether the lighting is good. Maybe I am different from the majority of the world and that interview and this turkey adventure is enough to keep her from getting elected, if that’s the case we are in bigger trouble than I thought.

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2008 at 12:13 PM

The NYT and other liberal media will continue with these types of attack stories loaded with nonsense because they recognize that the Obama voters will remember these types of stories. The next poll question could be “which candidate killed their own turkey?”. And the sad part is 100% will get it right. Their pursuit is to minimize Sarah Palin by playing to the lowest base to ensure the vote in 2012.

They will embrace McCain again once he starts working with Obama. Obama’s image will reach new heights of glory with each passing day. Sarah Palin will continue to be eviscerated to further their cause. And Joe Biden will remain the nonentity that he is. Much to his dismay, he has become a waste of ink.

sherry on November 22, 2008 at 12:13 PM

I just cannot fathom the mental gymnastics it must take for a lefty liberal to be outraged about a Turkey being prepared for eating, yet sticking a scissors into the back of a babies head, snipping the brain stem and sucking out the brains is something to be lauded.

Well put, 91.

Spirit of 1776 on November 22, 2008 at 12:15 PM

You can actually see the turkey as the price of NY Times stock

joey24007 on November 22, 2008 at 12:15 PM

OK, I’ve watch this one and the “cleaned up” version from MSNBC on this site. The MSNBC version blotted out the “offensive” parts. I have watched this on full screen. Nowhere do I see any guts. Am I missing something? I really do not know what that guy is doing with the bird. I do see he makes sure he can step out of the way so the camera can see what he is doing. I notice SP glancing his way and trying not to smile. I see the guy knowing he is doing something kind of funny. But I really do not see what the hubbub is all about. Is that the killing station? What is the method of killing? I saw a turkey plant from the outside one time. The birds were hung by their feet and went into the building. When they came out, all that was left was a pair of feet.

duggersd on November 22, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Cap’n…shouldn’t there be a GOP advisor with Palin in Alaska right now?

Sarah is in a no-win situation with stuff like this. She can’t afford to hire a political staff with her own money (she actually has to live on her Governor’s salary) and she can’t hire anyone to do it on the public payroll.

Even if she could afford to hire someone, it would be spun in the most negative possible way. Look at the lefties screaming that she is an ambitious publicity hound just because the media paparazzi follow her everywhere she goes. If she took steps to get professional publicity managers, there would be more screams about her ambition, and the media would portray it like they did the RNC wardrobe…as evidence that she is not really one of the common people.

We need a PAC to provide her with financial support. TeamSarah.org is apparently reorganizing along these lines.

Jim62sch on November 22, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Jim62sch on November 22, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Yup … that is why you can’t say “lets wait” before picking a candidate

Something has to be done … the Obama machine is out there, they have the network and the money

and like you said … Palin is living on a governor’s salary

joey24007 on November 22, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Is it bad that when the guy killing the turkeys kept turning around like “am I going to get in trouble for this?” I kept laughing? That guy was cracking me up.
Doppleganker on November 22, 2008 at 9:58 AM

He owes child support in Ohio.

Have any of them ever eaten meat?

Have they walked through Chinatown in their own city?

Kafir on November 22, 2008 at 11:19 AM

HILARIOUS!!!!

Thanks for the yuks Kafir. :)

91Veteran on November 22, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Eat Turkey.
Cuda 2012.

gracie on November 22, 2008 at 12:23 PM

New York City liberals all think turkeys come from the grocery store.

drjohn on November 22, 2008 at 12:25 PM

“..issuing a traditional seasonal pardon of a turkey — while turkeys were being executed”

I agree that it’s absurd and unfair to attack Palin over this, but I think it’s clear that the use of “executed” goes with the humorously intended “pardon”. No point exaggerating how bad things are.

interested_party on November 22, 2008 at 12:25 PM

they are being punished

stock down 90% since 2004

lodge on November 22, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Buncha friggin pussies.

Alden Pyle on November 22, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Isn’t this the point, to show what the Thanksgiving Turkey is being pardoned from?

abinitioadinfinitum on November 22, 2008 at 12:27 PM

My thought was why aren’t the turkeys killed more quickly not that they are killed at all.
I do have to wonder how people who see no problem with killing nearly full term human beings by stabbing them in the back of the head have such a big problem with the death of turkeys.

Rose on November 22, 2008 at 12:29 PM

oops, someone already brought up that point, didn’t mean to repeat.

Rose on November 22, 2008 at 12:31 PM

rose,
I imagine that farm doesn’t have the capital for an industrial sized machine, so they use manpower. As for the lefts support for partial-birth abortion and support for animal rights, at their heart the left worships the destruction of the self to be replaced by a great collective rubbish, of course every other leftists thinks they will run this great society, but thats another matter all together.

rob verdi on November 22, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Jim62, joey…..shouldn’t the RNC put a person there?
She needs to start running now…Obama started at the 2004 DNC convention.
Palin’s staff is incompetant.
If the GOP really wants Palin to be a contender in 2012 they should support her with a couple people at least, not leave her out there like a staked goat for the media to savage.
Do Jindal or Huckabee have RNC support at all?

matoko_chan on November 22, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Everything Palin does should be done with the question of ‘how will this play in the Times and on CNN’. If the answer is, not so good, they shouldn’t do it.

Is it fair? No. It is reality though.

angryed on November 22, 2008 at 12:10 PM

This is what happens when good Republicans go to Washington, and start screwing things up.

They are so concerned with how they might appear in the media, they forget where they came from, and who they are representing.

Which is the reason why the GOP just got their azz kicked.

All those who were so concerned with how they looked in the media, were clueless when that same media turned against them, and might still be wondering now how they screwed up and lost their election.

91Veteran on November 22, 2008 at 12:36 PM

I like Palin, but we can’t nominate her, the misogynistic liberal media will continue to crucify her because they hate women, but not wymen, politicians. Especially the self-loathing, dessicated, withering, frigid, rapidly aging baby-boomer harridans who are partly running the newsrooms.

Little Boomer on November 22, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Unless…..perhaps the GOP leadership doesn’t actually want Palin to be the 2012 nominee?

matoko_chan on November 22, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Jim62, joey…..shouldn’t the RNC put a person there?
She needs to start running now…Obama started at the 2004 DNC convention.
Palin’s staff is incompetant.
Do Jindal or Huckabee have RNC support at all?

matoko_chan on November 22, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Well the first thing we have to do is get rid of the anti-Palin people in the RNC lol … because you seen the results of the McCain folks around her.

She needs to find her own people that understand the media and all that jazz … I’m sure the people around her are friends and all but they won’t cut it in the future

that is why a PAC is necessary … she can’t afford to just hire folks, she needs money

but you know … I would do it for free

joey24007 on November 22, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Buncha friggin pussies.
Alden Pyle on November 22, 2008 at 12:26 PM

That’s right! Stand Up!

Have you looked at that Washington incest…the Clintons who brought us our moral and financial calamities and Obama another engineer of sub-prime mortgages porking each other…and you are trying to apologize for Sarah the Moral, the Honest, the Virtuous, the Courageous. Eat more turkey and get ready for bear.

gracie on November 22, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Along those same lines…from The Corner: “Gov. Palin just showed the world that she has real power. She showed us that when she pardons someone it means something (even if that someone is just a turkey). Look at what happens to one she doesn’t pardon.”

meltenn on November 22, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Little Boomer on November 22, 2008 at 12:36 PM

I disagree … she would make a fine nominee … look at the excitement she attracted as VP candidate

the media ALWAYS bashes the Republican … but look how Reagan handled it … he had a way of telling the media to go F themselves, while looking nice about it

but Reagan also had a group around him that were absolutely loyal to him

and immediately after his defeat in 1976 … they started laying the groundwork for the next election

joey24007 on November 22, 2008 at 12:41 PM

oops, someone already brought up that point, didn’t mean to repeat.

Rose on November 22, 2008 at 12:31 PM

It needs to be repeated, because it shows how absolutely stupid liberals are when they take positions on issues.

91Veteran on November 22, 2008 at 12:42 PM

You mean the persona of a real, normal American? The kind who don’t write things like “how should we put it” unless they are being ironic?

29Victor on November 22, 2008 at 12:42 PM

I think…if Gov. Palin’s supporters want her to be the nominee they should begin work now. Otherwise, Huckabee will represent the social conservatives on any GOP ticket.
He has a tv show.
He just wrote a book.
Do you think he would ever be caught dead in video photo op with a guy stuffing turkeys into a slaughter machine cameo’d over his shoulder?

matoko_chan on November 22, 2008 at 12:43 PM

He has a tv show.
He just wrote a book.

matoko_chan on November 22, 2008 at 12:43 PM

First of all Palin is the candidate for all conservatives … compare her record as governor to the Huckster’s

the only thing that kept Huckabee in the race was his comedy during the debate and his appeal to those who did not like Romney … that is it

he is not a fiscal conservative … Palin is

and if he can’t even debate Richard Dreyfuss on his show … come on now

joey24007 on November 22, 2008 at 12:46 PM

This country just elected a smooth talking no experienced man to lead this country. He in turn is putting all of the people from the last “accomplished” Democratic administration. And now our side wants to worry about how our next possible candidate looks. I realize that most think that the accomplishments are there and the media savvy part is just a bonus but that isn’t a bonus extended to conservatives so stop worrying about. Governors are going to lead their states through this current “crisis” and if there are any positive media out of it The One will get it.

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2008 at 12:46 PM

P eople for the E ating of T astey A nimals

Phred on November 22, 2008 at 12:47 PM

matoko_chan on November 22, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Huckabee is slick enough to portray himself the way he thinks people want to see him, depending on the time of day and crowd he might be before.

After all, wasn’t he the one talking about cooking squirrel on a hot plate?

91Veteran on November 22, 2008 at 12:47 PM

matoko_chan on November 22, 2008 at 12:43 PM

I am begging you, please don’t mention that man’s name.

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2008 at 12:47 PM

I am begging you, please don’t mention that man’s name.

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2008 at 12:47 PM

The Huckster was McCain’s willing partner in destroying Romney …

I’m not saying Romney wins or was the best candidate … but anybody who couldn’t see that must be blind

joey24007 on November 22, 2008 at 12:48 PM

duggersd on November 22, 2008 at 12:16 PM

What you saw was a fully mechanized unit. This is a small business. They still have to do it with manpower – one at a time. But like someone said earlier, these are pretty close to free range turkeys – YUM
I wonder how much it would cost to ship one to Texas?

Corsair on November 22, 2008 at 12:50 PM

joey24007 on November 22, 2008 at 12:48 PM

I know all of that, but now, the Huckabee folks will descend on the thread and I will be forced to go do all the work I am avoiding by playing on HotAir.

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Huckabee is like our version of John Edwards

joey24007 on November 22, 2008 at 12:54 PM

matoko_chan on November 22, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Huck was the turkey in the cone…he’s dead.
RNC, DNC, Governors, Congressmen and Senators are wondering if they are next.
Eat More Turkey.

gracie on November 22, 2008 at 12:55 PM

matoko_chan on November 22, 2008 at 12:38 PM

They just voted down a moratorium on pork. Connect the dots. It will be an uphill battle for her unless there is a real housecleaning in 2010, and I doubt that will happen. She can’t do reforms without being elected and I suspect more of the leadership are against reforms than are in favor.

a capella on November 22, 2008 at 12:56 PM

joey24007 on November 22, 2008 at 12:41 PM

You need to send in your resume to the ‘Cuda. She needs some good advisers. You can put me down as a reference. Recommend that lady from the other thread to write her book and to hire as a speech writer while you’re there for your interview.

meltenn on November 22, 2008 at 12:57 PM

I am going to order a turkey from Wasilla right now.

gracie on November 22, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Palin-Rice 2012

Firebird on November 22, 2008 at 12:58 PM

When I was 7 bwe went to visit my grandmother in S.A. and she sent my cousin out to the farm area of her place to get her a chicken. She met us out there after we chased them and caiught one finally and she ver non chalantly took it from us and twisted it’s neck until it snapped and killed it. I was soo shocked and couldn’t eat dinner. I was so upset but my mother explained to me that was how it was done. So anyway, I got over it and love checken and beef and fish etc… I just don’t think about how they get to my table….but I did vote for Prop 2 so that they can at least have a guaranteed amount of time out of a cage before they get killed…

Now with that said…I still laugh when I see the video…its just funny how she is giving the interview with that happening in the background….I just love her!

CCRWM on November 22, 2008 at 1:03 PM

a capella on November 22, 2008 at 12:56 PM

I saw that, amazing. Do you think that the districts that they represent are encouraging them? I wrote a big thumbs up to my guy who has a grand total of $24K of earmarks but also told him no more. Considering the area I am pretty sure we could have come up with that much on our own within the community.

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2008 at 1:05 PM

CCRWM on November 22, 2008 at 1:03 PM

I agree. I am like that with computers also. Please don’t explain them to me, I like thinking their magic.

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2008 at 1:06 PM

matoko_chan on November 22, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Maybe the Huck would not have put himself into that situation.

Still, I seriously question Huck’s “I am a dufus” haircut.

kcarpenter on November 22, 2008 at 1:08 PM

I just called up the Triple D Hatchery in Wasilla where Sarah gave her interview. (907-376-3338). They are getting hammered. I gave the guy my good wishes. They can’t ship their turkeys out of state. Send the Schmidt family your support.

gracie on November 22, 2008 at 1:09 PM

meltenn on November 22, 2008 at 12:57 PM

sarcasm? lol

joey24007 on November 22, 2008 at 1:09 PM

……………. Let them eat grass for dinner, I’m having meat!

Seven Percent Solution on November 22, 2008 at 1:12 PM

I wonder how much it would cost to ship one to Texas?

Damn right. I bet these are real tasty birds. I already liked Ms. Palin but I’m totally stoked after this clip. This wasn’t a mistake! These people are f’g Alaskans. They don’t go wobbly faced with life. Urbanized Americans, conservative included, are sickly hot-house flowers with a total disconnect between what they want and how to get it. If the rural conveyor belt stopped these pathetic weaklings would shrivel and die.

As for Huck vs. Palin… No contest. Huck’s been throwing cheap shots from the beginning. She has more honor and class in her pinkie than that jerk has in his whole body. I can’t even imagine how much whining and bitching would be coming out of his pie hole if the press had lit him up like they did Sarah.

She’s twice the man he is.

rcl on November 22, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Sure. They re-elect them. Rewarding bad behavior usually begats more bad behavior. That is what pork is all about. Staying in office is numero uno on almost every politician’s list. That is why incumbents always have an advantage. They can buy votes. The GOP and donks are identical in that regard, and they don’t want it to change. Someone running on a reform platform isn’t going to be popular with them, and the RNC controls the pursestrings which support candidates.

a capella on November 22, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Maybe the Huck would not have put himself into that situation.

Still, I seriously question Huck’s “I am a dufus” haircut.

kcarpenter on November 22, 2008 at 1:08 PM

I seem to remember a joke at the NRA that went over real well.
I think Huck needs to hire some better handlers so he stops making these media gaffes because he certainly doesn’t understand the media.

Corsair on November 22, 2008 at 1:17 PM

joey24007 on November 22, 2008 at 1:09 PM

No, I’m serious. I love the ‘Cuda, but she needs better staff and I think you’re dead on in your assessment of what she needs to do. The only drawback to working for her as I see it would be that it is frickin’ cold up there.

meltenn on November 22, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Mastako I was a Huck supporter and I don’t see all the nefarious stuff others ascribe to him but…I’ve come to realize that he is not prsidential material …he’s fine as a tv personality… Sarah knocked him off the perch for a lot of us social cons…She is the real deal…. she is a true conservative…which is what we need…

CCRWM on November 22, 2008 at 1:20 PM

You can’t execute a turkey! You kill it, clearn it and eat it, Yum! Why doesn’t the NYT editorial board, protest and do something meaningful, such as condemn people who kill innocent women and children. These are serious times and we need serious people, not the Knuckleheads at the NYT and MSNBC.

Where’s the Turkey!

eaglesailor72 on November 22, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Cindy Munford PM

Would you like Huck if he stays out of politics?

CCRWM on November 22, 2008 at 1:24 PM

CCRWM on November 22, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Probably. Nothing personal, he just isn’t my candidate.

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2008 at 1:29 PM

I do not know one single regular person who gives a damn about something like this silly turkey business.

And it is too early to start running for the next election anyway.

Terrye on November 22, 2008 at 1:29 PM

CCRWM on November 22, 2008 at 1:20 PM

He can be a real asset; but I wish he would tamp down the fratricide.

Spirit of 1776 on November 22, 2008 at 1:30 PM

And by the way, I looked at this thread on dead turkeys and there are Republicans taking swipes at McCain, Huckabee, Romney whatever. That is why we lose. Not because of stupid stuff like this but because we can’t stop the moronic back stabbing and complaining.

Terrye on November 22, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Spirit of 1776 on November 22, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Amen.

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2008 at 1:35 PM

A reason McCain should condemn the “leakers”.

Spirit of 1776 on November 22, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Palin-Rice Steele or Jindal 2012

Firebird on November 22, 2008 at 12:58 PM

91Veteran on November 22, 2008 at 1:36 PM

So the NYT has a beef with Palin over:
“her hardline approach to the Iraq War”, “her harsh anti-government rhetoric”, “her style of negative campaigning”, “the swipe she took against community organizers” “why (she) chose to be interviewed… while turkeys were being executed in the background.

Now, is there anything this woman could do to please the NYT? Really, was she anymore “hardline” about WINNING in Iraq than others? You’d think she were advocating anarchy when it comes to criticizing government, but are there Republicans who think government is the greatest thing since sliced bread? And, OMG, they’re still whining about the community organizer thing, when she didn’t slight them so much as defend herself. So, its turkey “executions” now and I’m frankly surprised they didn’t mention torture, as well. Is there any hope for fair and rational discourse any more. God help us.

littleguy on November 22, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Ed Morrissey said,
“Instead of laughing off what was a poor decision by Palin’s staff for an interview location, we instead hear shrieks of executions from the Gray Lady:”

Dear Ed,

I’m afraid you are as obtuse as your beloved Grey Lady.

Only our beloved Sister Sarah could take something as inane as a turkey pardoning and turn it into an international free
PR party. Wake up man! Do you not realize that she knows exactly what the fellow in the background is doing?
Did you even listen to what she said? Did you not hear her say that I’ll probably even draw criticism for doing this?
Do you think that there is even one true Red Stater who is going to find this in anyway offensive?
You do realize that she will be running for Governor again in 2 years?

What a great way to reconnect with Alaskans!

P. Monk on November 22, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Terrye on November 22, 2008 at 1:31 PM

I had to cross the aisle before I took my swipe at McCain

lol

joey24007 on November 22, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Next time, maybe Palin should do her sound bites in front of an abortion clinic, where unborn babies aren’t executed, but rather, inconvenient pre-humans are electively removed and disposed of like the unwanted parasites they are. THEN, you wouldn’t hear a peep of criticism from the looney left or the old grey drunk lady.

I just bought another Ruger P345 yesterday and encourage others to follow my example.

Wally on November 22, 2008 at 2:01 PM

So is it okay to say that I don’t feel so bad that McCain lost because of the way he’s acted since he lost? I mean stuff like, “we have to confirm Napolitano right away!”

Can’t he just sit down and shush up now???

CCRWM on November 22, 2008 at 2:04 PM

joey:

Yeah, joey really funny. The truth is it was McCain who gave Palin a shot at the VP. I do not recall Romney or anyone else hinting that such a thing was even possible.

As for the turkeys…the only reason these birds are alive is to die. I used to be a dairy farmer and I had to put up with the same kind of crap. As if, there were diary cows in the wild.

Terrye on November 22, 2008 at 2:09 PM

CCRWM:

McCain said that he thought Nepalitano would be confirmed right away. And why shouldn’t she if she is qualified? They need to have someone to do the job and Obama won the damn election, that means he gets to make the pick. BTW, I can remember this particular Democratic Governor making some fairly conservative calls on some issues.

Terrye on November 22, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Wally on November 22, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Chavez won in Venezuela becuase he bought ignorant people’s vote with socialism….they don’t care that Venezuela is going down the tubes as long as they drag everyone down with them. the Left here doesn’t care that it’s dragging America down the tubes as long as they can get rid of God. So they don’t give a damn that they care more about a turkey than the millions of babies brutally murdered in atrocious ways through abortion…I can’t forget that Jenna described that saline was used on her and burned over 90% of her body…where is their outrage at that? To me that turkey is being killed in a much more “humane” way….The Left doesn’t care about the incongruity it is all about tearing Sarah down do that she doesn’t run again or so that they turn her into a National joke so she can’t run again.

Every opportunity they can do this they will do it for the next 4 years…a steady drumbeat of; she’s an idiot, unqualified, a hick, stupid, airhead…they think it will work because they did noting but tell how how great the real unqualified candidate was and he won!

CCRWM on November 22, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Can’t he just sit down and shush up now?

Doubtful. As his daughter charmingly said, he is the man to remake the R party. I think it very likely he will want to spend the next months quite vocal in support of the O presidency.

Spirit of 1776 on November 22, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Okay, my curiosity is pricked. Such as?

Spirit of 1776 on November 22, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Terrye on November 22, 2008 at 2:09 PM

I personally wrote to John McCain thanking him for picking Palin

get over it … McCain lost, he is done … he is back in the Senate where he belongs

joey24007 on November 22, 2008 at 2:14 PM

We’ve got a twofer for stupidity.

Entelechy on November 22, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Terrye on November 22, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Okay…I see your point…but has he done the same the last 4 years for Republicans?

CCRWM on November 22, 2008 at 2:15 PM

CCRWM:

Of course he has. McCain even voted for Bork way back when. McCain voted for Roberts and Alito too. The point is that anyone Obama picks is not going to be my first choice, but I know that is not the issue. The idea is to vote for them if they are qualified to do the job, otherwise every vote would just always be a straight up and down party vote. Why even bother to debate it or ask questions if that is the way it is going to be?

Terrye on November 22, 2008 at 2:20 PM

joey:

I am not the one who can’t get over it. I am not the one who makes gratuitous swipes at the man even when the subject at hand as nothing to do with McCain. In fact I am not sure McCain is staying in the Senate.

Terrye on November 22, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Maybe the clip was too short, but I didn’t hear no stinking pardon for any turkey — in fact, Palin was quite clear that a turkey will be gracing her Thanksgiving table.

I’m betting that the liberal elites at the Gray Lady will be joining Palin with nearly identical ornamentation on their own tables.

unclesmrgol on November 22, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Spirit:

I would have to look it up, but it seems to me that she made some calls on immigration that conservatives were happy with. She is a Democrat, but so is Bredesen from Tennessee and he is not all bad either.

It might have something to do with where they are from. No doubt that she is not what I would want for the job and I do not doubt that she has made some calls conservatives would hate too, after all she is a Democrat…but then so is Obama and he is the boss now, much as it pains me to say it.

Terrye on November 22, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Terrye:

I know I’m not talking having a lot of the facts…I may be way off base…but the impression I’ve developed over the years I’ve been paying attention is that McCain was always poking Bush and Republicans in the eye…which is why he was my last choice…

CCRWM on November 22, 2008 at 2:25 PM

unclesmrgol:

Unless they have a tofu turkey, which I doubt. The hysterical hypocrites. Silly people. Really, most Americans do know what happens at turkey farms.

Terrye on November 22, 2008 at 2:26 PM

CCRWM;

I know that is what a lot of people said, but the truth was McCain stuck with Bush on the war when a lot of socalled conservatives were thinking about bailing. But McCain wanted a change in tactics was not afraid to say so. And the truth is Palin has not been supportive of Republicans in her own state all the time either and has made some real enemies in both parties in the process. They are both pretty independent and that will always lead to questions about their loyalty.

But then again, maybe that is how they show their loyalty.

I really do not think any Republican would have won this year once the financial sector went into meltdown, especially with the nonstop cheerleading for Obama by the media.

But the treatment of Palin by the same media has just been disgraceful.

Terrye on November 22, 2008 at 2:30 PM

T: To me that way Palin has taken on the Republicans in her party in AK speaks of nothing but loyalty to Republicanism…they were corrupt and awful I mean Stevens os probably going to jail… to me that is a huge difference!

CCRWM on November 22, 2008 at 2:36 PM

This whole thing is past stupid, it is beyond belief. You would think that an eastern liberal had never seen a chicken or a turkey moved from the farm to the grocery section (maybe they think its magic).

duff65 on November 22, 2008 at 2:36 PM

CA, Ed? U got family or friends there? I woulda gone back to Cali 4 thanksgiving break, but my folks are trekking to the ATL.

gwallensky on November 22, 2008 at 2:36 PM

I’m helping my husband with a project so I’m posting in those few minutes when he doesn’t need me so… not previewing and writing not the best quality…

CCRWM on November 22, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Liberals will hang the hate for Sarah and for America on ANYTHING.

snaggletoothie on November 22, 2008 at 2:39 PM

The more I think about this, the more I think it’s PR genius. Everyone will think of, and talk about, Sarah on Thanksgiving as the pass the turkey.

And the more they consider it, the more it will sink in that the media are morons for their girly squeals about turkey harvesting.

Jim62sch on November 22, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Executed.
Someone send the Times a vat of smelling salts.

Actually, when I think of Thanksgiving, I think of Al Qaeda.

/sarc

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 22, 2008 at 2:48 PM

I’m always amused too, considering people don’t protest all other omnivores and carnivores on the planet. When was the last time PETA flipped out over a shark attack… or even the regular dining habits of sharks. How about spiders? How cruel is it that they capture bugs in their sticky net and then that helpless animal has to watch the spider as it takes a nap and then decides eventually to slowly come over and devour it? Outrageous!!!

As for “homo sapiens”, I’m not sure what you’re getting at, but since we are talking about the NY Times here, you got the “homo” part right.

Seriously, I suspect most would claim that they’ll either have tofurkey, or that they won’t celebrate the barbaric holiday, to stand in solidarity with Ward Churchill.

RightWinged on November 22, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Do gaffes like this HELP her?
Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 10:56 AM

What gaffe? I mean, it’s not like she said FDR was on the tube in ’29.

ddrintn on November 22, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Oh HOrrors! my husband just killed a deer with a gun. we’ll be having venison for Thanksgiving. On other Thanksgivings & Christmases, we’ve had wild turkey, goose, pheasant, quail, duck (also killed in the wild with a gun). PETA should love us since we didn’t slaughter domesticated turkeys, etc. right?

kelley in virginia on November 22, 2008 at 3:14 PM

And yeah, this PR will continue to help her. The ones that don’t like her will never like her. never.

kelley in virginia on November 22, 2008 at 3:15 PM

matoko_chan on November 22, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Pfft…Huck would try to pardon a frozen turkey.

James on November 22, 2008 at 3:18 PM

For Thanksgiving I’m gutting and roasting a NYT reporter.
Reporters…the other white meat.

Coronagold on November 22, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Let’s face it, we conservatives have been relegated to laughable status. To believe in gun rights is archaic. To look up to someone that dare stand in front of a dying turkey is disgraceful.

We will be laughed at and mocked for living normal lives that aren’t horse fed to us be government services.

Vincenzo on November 22, 2008 at 3:30 PM