Maybe the Gray Lady should eat crow for Thanksgiving

posted at 9:47 am on November 22, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

I’m always amused by people who decry the slaughter of animals for food as some barbaric practice, as if people haven’t been eating meat for the entire history of homo sapiens.  Where, exactly, do people like the editors of the New York Times think the turkey for their Thanksgiving originates — a Star Trek replicator?  Instead of laughing off what was a poor decision by Palin’s staff for an interview location, we instead hear shrieks of executions from the Gray Lady:

We’ve differed with Sarah Palin a great deal on substance. We don’t agree with her hardline approach to the Iraq War, her harsh anti-government rhetoric, and her style of negative campaigning.

But we also worry a bit about, how should we put it, the persona she has brought with her to national politics. We did not care at all for the swipe she took against community organizers at the Republican National Convention.

And then there’s this. You don’t have to be a huge animal lover to question why Governor Palin chose to be interviewed — while issuing a traditional seasonal pardon of a turkey — while turkeys were being executed in the background.

I read about this clip from Allahpundit and other bloggers before I bothered to watch it, and I thought it would be much worse. Color me underwhelmed:

If this is what twisted the NYT’s knickers, then make sure no one ever takes them to an industrial-scale slaughterhouse.  This is basically free-range handling.  We’re not seeing vast machinery beheading a string of turkeys in some sort of dehumanized assembly-line process.

One man butchers a turkey for food (two, actually), and the New York Times gets the vapors.  Have any of them ever eaten meat?  At all?  The editors of the Times should declare right now whether they plan to eat real turkey on Thanksgiving, and/or use turkey in sandwiches from now on.  If so, how would they expect to have that available to them without the kind of process seen in this clip?  Did they think that turkeys somehow committed suicide and left wills donating their bodies to family dining tables around the world?

Executed.  Someone send the Times a vat of smelling salts.

I’ll be home with my family in California for Thanksgiving this year, while my son’s famly heads to Alabama for a Southern Thanksgiving with my daughter-in-law’s family.  We will be enjoying all of the trimmings as well as the traditional turkey, and I doubt that any of us will be surprised to learn that someone killed the turkey before we shoved it into the oven.  Maybe the New York Times considers that news in Manhattan, but that only gives readers an idea of how out-of-touch the Paper of Shrieking Hysteria has become.

Update: Tom Maguire thought that the birds committed suicide after several hours of forced listening to NPR.  Now, that would just be cruel.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 6

There’s room for all of God’s creatures…….right next to the mashed potatoes.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 22, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Ah yes…and that jellied cranberry sauce. I like to smear it on my turkey with each bite. Life is good.

JonRoss on November 22, 2008 at 10:46 AM

obviously she is still VERY influential. Would they had done this for Plugs Biden??? I think not.

ousoonerfan15 on November 22, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Olberdouche must be too busy with Miss Precious Perfect to decry this as a genocide…………a fowl genocide.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 22, 2008 at 10:48 AM

I blame community organizers for registering the Dallas Cowboys, Mickey Mouse and NY residents as Ohio voters. I blame them for the subprime mortgage mess that led to our economic crisis, as well.

Sarah Palin, who went from PTA member and hockey mom to Mayor and Governor, then VP candidate, is my hero for choke-slamming community organizers who might as well be running three-card monte rackets in Times Square.

chunderroad on November 22, 2008 at 10:49 AM

Krydor, I don’t get your point, are you saying voters in NY and Ca are so sensitive they won’t support a candidate who points out that meat has to be slaughtered?
They need to be handled with kid gloves to get their votes?
Really, what kind of people are they that get offended by this?
This is how life works, if it bothers you you need to grow up.

redshirt on November 22, 2008 at 10:49 AM

She’s so real, it just kills the MSM.

Mojave Mark on November 22, 2008 at 10:49 AM

Yes, because who needs EC votes from CA and NY? Utterly amazing. I am flabbergasted that people still think she is viable.

Krydor on November 22, 2008

Thanks for making my point.

Again, does this hurt her in NC? IN? OH? CO?

artist on November 22, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Because we really do not want our secret plan for world domination to become public knowledge… how inconvenient.

Romeo13 on November 22, 2008 at 10:52 AM

This was an obvious set-up by the photographer. The inclusion of an active person in the background creates an undesired distraction from the subject of your interview -Shot Framing 101. They knew exactly what they were doing. If this had been a Dem, the photographer would have shifted to “edit” out the turkey farmer. Palin’s PR people have let her down more than once on this type of thing. Can we hope that this will be the last one?

I admire Sarah a great deal and wish the media weren’t so darned determined to make her look like an idiot. It is an enormous hurdle that she will have to overcome. The only adjectives for her used by my liberal aquaintances are “idiot” and “moron” (well, they do use “hot”, too).

inmypajamas on November 22, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Blake on November 22, 2008 at 10:00 AM
Remind me again when Obama or Biden said any cheap shots or lies about Palin’s family? In fact they had specifically denounced such cheap shots. That’s the difference, not only are the surrogates of your former VP candidate classes….your actual VP candidate was classless.

crr6 on November 22, 2008 at 10:08 AM
Go back and read Blake’s comment again, troll. Nowhere does his comment refer to your Gods Obama and Biden. It was aimed at the NYT…which showered its eleven daily readers with unsubstantiated drivel about the Palins ad nauseam.

Patrick S on November 22, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Here’s the irritating part: there is a better than even chance that the somebody’s taxes paid for his/hers education. The education that resulted in such lack of reader comprehension. Was that money well spent?

Yoop on November 22, 2008 at 10:52 AM

And then there’s this. You don’t have to be a huge animal lover to question why Governor Palin chose to be interviewed — while issuing a traditional seasonal pardon of a turkey — while turkeys were being executed harvested in the background.

Fixed.
Another example of journalistic malpractice. Execution is a legal term that applys to humans.
Don’t these writers go to school?

dentalque on November 22, 2008 at 10:53 AM

The only REAL execution going on at the NYT is their circular firing squad. Stick a fork in them. I think they’re almost done.

Yoop on November 22, 2008 at 10:54 AM

The msm just can’t let her go. Did they obsess over Ferraro after her loss? Edwards? Lieberman?

She is getting more attention than Biden. And consistently beats Obama in Lycos and Yahoo top searches.

Here’s an AP headline today: Is Alaska big enough for celebrity Palin?

Hint: The msm doesn’t waste time on has beens or irrelevant people.

artist on November 22, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Well, I will admit that Sarah needs to realize that the media is not her friends and treat them accordingly. I.E she needs to put a tight leash on them.

redshirt on November 22, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Why should we have to slaughter execute the mean, dirty little varmits poor defenseless birds when we could just go get our meat from a nice, clean whole foods. That would be the humane thing to do.

Let them eat arugala!

Laura in Maryland on November 22, 2008 at 10:55 AM

“they” = New York Times

Now you’ve gone and gotten your panties in a bunch over nothing. The reference was never about Obambi and Joe the Dumber.

Who’s classless now?

fogw on November 22, 2008 at 10:31 AM

My point was that the NYT was denouncing something Sarah Palin actually said, and you’re complaining that they didn’t denounce something that was just said by a bunch of bloggers, and never by Obama or Biden. That’s the difference. Sure some of the surrogates of Obama and Biden are classeless, but Palin herself is classless.

crr6 on November 22, 2008 at 10:56 AM

I am flabbergasted that people still think she is viable.

River in Egypt, indeed.

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 10:45 AM

More flabbergasting is how Obama is considered to be a great leader. Please do enlighten us hayseeds with glorious fables of his major accomplishments that qualify him so, and of his reaching across the aisle to bring Peace to a fractured nation.

Note to Troll: I chose “fables” knowing you’d have to make stuff up. Don’t say I never did anything for you.

Patrick S on November 22, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Again, does this hurt her in NC? IN? OH? CO?

artist on November 22, 2008 at 10:50 AM

It’s about recouping states lost this year. Do gaffes like this HELP her? No, they don’t. Even if she is not to blame, it’s still her staff that put it together.

This kind of thing might play well in Alaska or other primarily rural states. It doesn’t do well in more urbanized areas. That’s the reality of it.

The press doesn’t have to even work at Palin bashing. She is a gift.

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 10:56 AM

a capella on November 22, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Personally, the turkey thing makes me love her more, but I agree that she needs to hire some staff that plays at a higher level. I think that’s a bit of a problem beyond her PR people too. The whole troopergate thing and the yahoo email thing would never have even been issues if some of her staff knew what they were doing. I know most of them are her friends, but she needs some staff that are cynical and jaded, know how the system works, know how to keep things separate, and know how to protect their boss.

meltenn on November 22, 2008 at 10:56 AM

The New York Times would really freak if they saw how arugula is pulled screaming from the ground and dismembered while still alive.

Jim62sch on November 22, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Patrick S on November 22, 2008 at 10:56 AM

I was unaware that Obama manages to keep getting up in front of cameras and looking stupid. There’s a word you should learn it’s “optics”. After you learn it, tell Saint Palin what it means.

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Palin’s star burns brightly as Oprah calls

CNN

I will lose all respect for Palin if she goes on Oprah.

Tell het to F… off!

artist on November 22, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Have to treat this with kid gloves…but, no, can’t do that either, kid gloves are made from baby goats.

If this is newsworthy for the NYT (and the MSM, it seems) then we need not worry about the economy, or Obama’s hiring the entire Clinton team for another go at it, or that we’ve still a large number of real Americans fighting a multi-front war overseas.

coldwarrior on November 22, 2008 at 10:59 AM

hahahah calling this a gaffe is HILARIOUS. People in all those states will even love her more for that. Krydor is a moron.

ousoonerfan15 on November 22, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Don’t these writers go to school?

dentalque on November 22, 2008 at 10:53 AM

Yes, in most cases they do, altough numerous instances do seem to cast doubt on that school thingy.

The obvious answer is that they are not writing to convey news or information, but to invoke a negative reaction. Like all good liberals they obviously believe that the honest use of the English language is not a requirement in their profession. Not that I believe that they are professionals, but they do.

Yoop on November 22, 2008 at 11:00 AM

I would have liked to see Sarah cutting the heads off the birds personally,while she chants “democrats 2012″

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on November 22, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Ha! Rahm is her nemesis! I think he’s an idiot.

I have no doubt the whole video plot was a wonderfully intentional finger in the eye…well done, Sarahcuda ;)

LadinPlaid on November 22, 2008 at 10:08 AM

Cuda bites deep! *snickers
I heard (The CNN version of this)she was asked if she minded the angle and she said, “No worries.” A little pat on the head and a “You won’t get it, but my peeps will.”
*loves it

Elektra on November 22, 2008 at 11:00 AM

“Do gaffes like this HELP her?”

It is your opinion that this is a gaffe and that it somehow hurts her.

What is your proof? MSNBC wetting themselves?

artist on November 22, 2008 at 11:01 AM

The press doesn’t have to even work at Palin bashing. She is a gift.

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Partially right, dipstick. “Work” would have required them to actually debunk vicious rumors once they knew they were false. And she IS a gift to decent Americans. Not so to America haters. Now go get your disorder addressed.

Patrick S on November 22, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Ed said:

Most people who lived their entire lives in big cities have completely forgotten where food comes from. That is why peta has a large following in cities, but not so much in the country. Most city folk live in an alternative reality that allows for the food to magically appear in grocery stores and restaurants. I think if they ever had to kill or grow their own food, they would starve.
Yet they think all country folk are rubes and idiots and rednecks who bitterly cling to their bibles and guns. The snobbery is astounding.
I believe this whole episode will help her more than hurt her, because the people that this bothers wouldn’t vote for her to begin with – no matter what. The rest of us are laughing at those who find this disturbing.

Corsair on November 22, 2008 at 11:05 AM

I was unaware that Obama manages to keep getting up in front of cameras and looking stupid. Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 10:58 AM

That a lib is unaware is not news, though the press made epic efforts to bury instances of your God Obama stammering, bumbling, adding states to the union, referring to himself as Muslim, etc. He generally does look stupid when his brain, uh, forgive me, his teleprompter, is not in fornt of him.

Patrick S on November 22, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 10:58 AM

I find it hilarious that you feel the need to defend the comparisons against Obama. She was our VP choice. Now do you really want to get up and defend Biden’s behavior in front of the camera? In fact, has he even been in front of the camera since the election? I haven’t seen him.
Oh, and noone ever called Palin a “Saint” We love her more for her flaws, actually. They make her real.

redshirt on November 22, 2008 at 11:07 AM

I’m surprised that so many Palin supporters had internet access. Who knew?!

Vernon Hardapple on November 22, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Look, you hardcore types might think she’s awesome because she chose to hold an interview in plain sight of a turkey slaughter, but the rest of the world thinks it makes her look like an idiot.

Krydor

Maybe you Canadians need to nut up.

Haunchie on November 22, 2008 at 11:07 AM

My point was that the NYT was denouncing something Sarah Palin actually said

crr6 on November 22, 2008 at 10:56 AM

No it wasn’t

crr6 on November 22, 2008 at 10:08 AM

Liar.

fogw on November 22, 2008 at 11:08 AM

victory in 2012 will be sweet.

rob verdi on November 22, 2008 at 11:13 AM

meltenn on November 22, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Yep. She is playing in a different league now, and I would like to see her elevate her game a bit. If these kinds of things continue, she’ll have reinforced an image which may play well in some areas, but poorly in others. Doesn’t mean she has to change who she is,..just play to a larger, more diverse audience. F’instance, gutting and field dressing a moose, for the camera, might not be the best idea, although I’m sure some would love it.

a capella on November 22, 2008 at 11:13 AM

Well, this should be a fun 4 years.

My criticisms of how she handles the press are valid. How she presents herself to the general public is an issue.

She isn’t a unifying figure, she polarizes. It doesn’t help when she holds a press conference where she did.

It’s not a “trick” and the left isn’t “scared”. Remember how the right was all “YAY HOWARD DEAN!!!!” because he would get his ass kicked in an actual election? Yeah, well, that’s what this is.

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 11:14 AM

The NYT uses a bio-matter resequencer to recycle and feed on its own poop.

whitetop on November 22, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Tsk tsk. Here’s a link from The Times to hundreds of Turkey recipes.

Tofu for thee, but not for me.

Buy Danish on November 22, 2008 at 10:04 AM

This is awesome. I just had to email the NYT and thank them for publishing such wonderful recipes.

I especially liked the Turducken recipe.

I did ask the editor how he in the world I should cook this meal without someone killing a turkey, a duck and a chicken.

Feel free to email them yourselves: editorial@nytimes.com

I eagerly await their response to my email.

kcarpenter on November 22, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Hey Libs don’t eat meat. They eat Corned Beef. Which any educated person knows comes from…corn…r summin’. Most people don’t know that Steak is a legume not a bean. And veal is actually a fruit related to the tomato.

ronsfi on November 22, 2008 at 11:15 AM

Yet it’s okay for Obama to smoke….

theboss on November 22, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Maybe you Canadians need to nut up.

Haunchie on November 22, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Well, THAT’S a compelling argument. I am well and truly PWNED.

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Is it bad that when the guy killing the turkeys kept turning around like “am I going to get in trouble for this?” I kept laughing? That guy was cracking me up.
Doppleganker on November 22, 2008 at 9:58 AM

He owes child support in Ohio.

Have any of them ever eaten meat?

Have they walked through Chinatown in their own city?

Kafir on November 22, 2008 at 11:19 AM

O for heaven sake. What a nation of cream-puffs we have become. Where are the descendents of the men and women who carved this great nation out of the wilderness?

And another thing. These same people who have fainting spells over a Thanksgiving turkey in a killing cone demanded to know why this women didn’t have her ‘defective’ infant executed. The world turned upside down.

Renae on November 22, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Well, THAT’S a compelling argument. I am well and truly PWNED.

Krydor

I find how you handled that to be pedantic and very cliched.

Haunchie on November 22, 2008 at 11:22 AM

*loves it

Elektra on November 22, 2008 at 11:00 AM

I mean MSNBC :}

Elektra on November 22, 2008 at 11:23 AM

JonRoss on November 22, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Anybody else getting hungry?

I wonder what they do to the poor cranberry in order to make that lovely sauce.

kcarpenter on November 22, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Some local details and reaction from Palin’s office from the Anchorage Daily News.

A highlight from the owner of the farm (he’s been getting phone calls from animal rights people): “Americans are going to consume 46 million turkeys at Thanksgiving. I’m only doing six or seven hundred. Give somebody else a hard time.”

meltenn on November 22, 2008 at 11:25 AM

Sarah should send the NY Times a live turkey as a gesture of goodwill.

perroviejo on November 22, 2008 at 9:53 AM

Good point. The left is afraid of her because she doesn’t kowtow to their political correctness threats. She would eviscerate government with the same singled mindedness that she does to moose and turkey. There is a job to do, and do it she shall and to hell with the wailing liberals.

csdeven on November 22, 2008 at 11:25 AM

The NYT has always been squeamish about executions. Isn’t that why they sent Walter Durant to Stalin’s Moscow, to spare the world the bloody news of purges? Better to have a useful idiot reporting what a sycophantic editorial board wants America to hear than to let the truth leak out and frustrate Socialist plans for world domination.

ktrush on November 22, 2008 at 11:26 AM

Right on, Sarah. It looks like this setup by the MSM actually rattles some of the elitests in theit ivory towers that don’t seem to get where their food comes from. If they can’t figure that out, how can you expect them to make good decisions on who to vote for? Their book learning IQ from the elitist colleges may be 135 but the IQ for real life experiences must be around 25. Probably should send them all out to spend a few years working on the farm or with Joe the Plumber before they go to college so they can appreciate what they have and be a little more understanding what us common folks from Podunk go through and contribute to our society to make it work.

DL13 on November 22, 2008 at 11:26 AM

Is that the royal we?

blue sky on November 22, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Ah yes, a true hunter flushes out its prey then when the time is right, a clean one shot kill.
Sarah Palin flushin out the New Yawk Times, liberal whiney MSM panti sniffers, enviro terrorists, meat eatin Dems to damn dumb to figure out most of the stuff they eat is indeed dead and someone or thing killed it. Hope anyone bothered by this video is a vegetarian from now on.
Shes’ REAL, shes’ RIGHT and she will fight, fight, fight when not encombered by an old, inarticulate, Democrat careerist pretending to be a conservative.
Palin/Plumber 2012

dhunter on November 22, 2008 at 11:28 AM

She isn’t a unifying figure, she polarizes.

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Obama isn’t a unifying figure, either. He polarizes. It was a 52-48 election, not 90-10.

ddrintn on November 22, 2008 at 11:29 AM

The harder this paper tries to come off as a reliable news source, the more they look like the National Enquirer.

sherry on November 22, 2008 at 11:29 AM

the New York Times is the paper which also ignored the John Edwards affair as long as humanly possible, but they managed to find space for this? Take a deep breath, this is what we are facing and act accordingly.

rob verdi on November 22, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 11:14 AM

The left is scared shitless of Sarah Palin. Hence the need for Godzilla nuke-’em tactics. Even after the election.

ddrintn on November 22, 2008 at 11:30 AM

ktrush,
Durranty that’s right, and they never returned the Pulitzer he won.

rob verdi on November 22, 2008 at 11:31 AM

While my turkey is cooking, I will have proper service for the poor Tom. Then, I will lick my chops after wards. And, take a nice turkey nap! Love how scared the Libs are of Sarah.

sheebe on November 22, 2008 at 11:32 AM

ddrintn,
exactly, this is nothing but fear on their part.

rob verdi on November 22, 2008 at 11:32 AM

I find how you handled that to be pedantic and very cliched.

Haunchie on November 22, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Ah, so I’m supposed to actually debate the merits of a personal insult?

‘You Canadians need to nut up’

We did, we burned the old Progressive Conservative party to the ground and made an actual Conservative party.

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 11:32 AM

by the way, this farm is what we call small business.

rob verdi on November 22, 2008 at 11:32 AM

I’m starting to feel good about the MSM melting down. It will continue as Obama’s shine, dulls. I love it.

marklmail on November 22, 2008 at 11:33 AM

I myself plan on smoking the Turkey, not only does it taste good and I can also increase my carbon footprint.

rob verdi on November 22, 2008 at 11:33 AM

marklmail,
Very True

rob verdi on November 22, 2008 at 11:34 AM

krydor,
Why buy into media nonsense, they are going to attack anyway, thats why we shouldn’t take this too serious.

rob verdi on November 22, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Now that I think about it, the stockholders of the Times could be the Turkey.

rob verdi on November 22, 2008 at 11:36 AM

To be fair, if you’re talking about a ceremony where the Governor pardons a single turkey, the correct term for what happens to the other turkeys is indeed execution. However, I’m confident that the NYT was right for all the wrong reasons.

Which only goes to show that the entire pardoning ceremony is a farce in the first place. The tastiest, juiciest bird ought to be served on the Governor’s table, not condemned to a life sentence in a slaughterhouse. (Do they even really pardon the turkey or is it killed anyway once the cameras are gone? Mmm…forbidden turkey.)

James on November 22, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Krydor

Hey, would be a great idea here. We just seem to be scolded for believing in actual conservatism.

Haunchie on November 22, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Someone please remind the NYT and the Democrats that they truly did win the election.

The libtards truly must be hearin’ footsteps already, otherwise why would they even pay Palin 5 minutes attention on anything. Heh, they ain’t even sworn in yet and they’re already readin’ the writtin’ on the wall.

Wyznowski on November 22, 2008 at 11:37 AM

ddrintn on November 22, 2008 at 11:29 AM

That “not unifying” argument wasn’t valid when Bush won in 2004 and doesn’t work in 2008. A presidential blowout is a rare cat, indeed. He has enough support to govern effectively.

And no, trust me on this, the left is not even remotely frightened of Palin.

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 11:37 AM

It’s real life, but some from their condos in NY can’t take it.

KBird on November 22, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Talk about being led to a slaughter…..

Just waiting for someone to slit the throat of the New York Times and let the red ink flow…… oh wait, that is happening right now.
Happy Thanksgiving to all!

JeffinOrlando on November 22, 2008 at 11:41 AM

Why should she live the rest of her life with handlers? So that the media can talk about how well or badly she has been handled for the next four to eight years? The only thing she needs to do is run her state the way she would have if she had not been picked as the VP candidate. If she goes onto to higher office it will be based on her accomplishments as the Governor of Alaska not various and asundry photo ops of a media who hates her. As a matter of fact it will be in spite of them.

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2008 at 11:42 AM

The NYT needs to wake up. We are simply redistributing the turkey protein to fill needy bellies.

Limerick on November 22, 2008 at 11:42 AM

He has enough support to govern effectively.
And no, trust me on this, the left is not even remotely frightened of Palin.
Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 11:37 AM

You are not correct, yet again. He has enough Congressional support to get his way. Whether he’s effective or not remains to be seen. And if he governs from the left, his public support tanks.

Regarding Palin, if you’re not frightened of her, why are you here trying to tear her down? Are you just an immature little punk?

Patrick S on November 22, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Alabama? Send them to our house. We will have plenty of cornbread dressing, one baked turkey and one fried.

Virginia Shanahan on November 22, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Cap’n, you don’t get it either.
That would have been funnie no matter who stood obliviously in front of the turkey slaughter.
It was like a real life SNL skit.
Palin has zero political instincts. You might think that is fine, but consider someone who has excellent political instincts and who is going to be the death of the GOP unless you can get rid of him.
Huckabee.
Think about the poor socons who are gettin beat down for nominally loosing the election. What does Huck say?
“Its not your fault…..the libertarians and fauxcons caused this.”

matoko_chan on November 22, 2008 at 11:49 AM

I think it’s awesome she’d do an interview in this type of setting.

One thing about conservatives (usually) and Palin in particular is that they don’t have an artificial divide between real world and their world, as the complaint is here – eat turkey but don’t be seen as part of the process – Palin is genuine.

Spirit of 1776 on November 22, 2008 at 11:50 AM

What you have 4 more years to look forward to is more of this. Cameras now follow Palin because Palin delivers comedy gold.

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Cameras follow Palin because they want to destroy any perceived threat to their power. Liberals can’t win with their ideas, so their only alternative is to destroy the opposition any way they can, whether using fact or making them up.

…much like BO did with his opposition in Chicago.

…much like the left did with George Allen.

91Veteran on November 22, 2008 at 11:51 AM

The only negative to the whole interview was that the turkey was not killed with a gun. Then PETA, NYT, libs and anti-2d amendment types would be in an uproar.

Guns are good. So is turkey.

kelley in virginia on November 22, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Renae on November 22, 2008 at 11:21 AM

They all moved to Texas and Alaska(and a variety of states in the middle south) where men are still allowed to be men.

Corsair on November 22, 2008 at 11:57 AM

And each minute Sarah Palin is in office, she gains the experience necessary (that her detractors said she didn’t have) to govern.

kelley in virginia on November 22, 2008 at 11:58 AM

It amazes me how some people have a “Walt Disney” view of how the world works.

Like I said in Allahpundit’s post:
I’ve seen turkeys in their natural habitat, a supermarket.

Kini on November 22, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Oh my goodness. My husband & son are out right this minute trying to kill a deer with…..wait…A GUN!

kelley in virginia on November 22, 2008 at 11:59 AM

In the spirit of the holiday season, I think GW should pass on pardoning his turkey and instead set up a fireing squad in the front lawn to EXECUTE the bird.

Rovin on November 22, 2008 at 11:59 AM

kelley in virginia on November 22, 2008 at 11:58 AM

after her first day as Wasilla mayor … she already had more executive experience than Obama ever had

joey24007 on November 22, 2008 at 11:59 AM

And catch on Dems, Sarah Palin makes news again! Its publicity. And its free.

kelley in virginia on November 22, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Off with the Gray Lady’s head next! Guillotine! It was the best of times…

Cuda 2012

gracie on November 22, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Seems like many here have not heard the saying perception is reality.

It doesn’t matter how turkeys get killed or whether this is a big deal or whether the NY Times is hypocritical. What matters is that Palin and her handlers should have known that this is how the story would be played. Same way they should have known that the Katie Courci interview would have been a disaster. The fact they still don’t get it, is very telling.

angryed on November 22, 2008 at 12:01 PM

joey24007: you’re right, of course.

kelley in virginia on November 22, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Couric’s interview of Palin was a disaster for Palin. But I think Sarah gets it now. The hell with the NYT.

kelley in virginia on November 22, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Off to cook more pies. I use eggs. The laying hens are probably in those horrid laying houses. But since i don’t have a hen house of my own, i must buy the eggs at the store. Am I bothered? nope

kelley in virginia on November 22, 2008 at 12:04 PM

…much like BO did with his opposition in Chicago.

…much like the left did with George Allen.

91Veteran on November 22, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Abso-friggin’-lutely.

ddrintn on November 22, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Everyone should read the link provided by

meltenn on November 22, 2008 at 11:25 AM

A lot of plausible deniability going on. I love the vetting remarks by the local station editor and the Democratic rivals assured statement that there was no way that Gov. Palin was unaware. Krydor is correct, comedic gold but for all of the opposite reasons.

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2008 at 12:06 PM

And no, trust me on this, the left is not even remotely frightened of Palin.

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 11:37 AM

They’ve been scared ofher since she was first named VP nominee. They’re terrified of her potential. She must be destroyed. If they weren’t scared of her, you wouldn’t be here commenting on her in a thread on a conservative site. QED.

ddrintn on November 22, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Cap’n…shouldn’t there be a GOP advisor with Palin in Alaska right now?
Unless the GOP has written her off as a highpot (high potential candidate).
Didn’t Newt say she was only one of 20 or 30?
Surely she had staff there for that interview that viewed the clip.
But were they competant?
The news anchor reported Palin’s staff said “no worries” about the background.

matoko_chan on November 22, 2008 at 12:07 PM

They need to be handled with kid gloves to get their votes?
Really, what kind of people are they that get offended by this?
This is how life works, if it bothers you you need to grow up.

redshirt on November 22, 2008 at 10:49 AM

Like most of the left, Krydor has no point. Krydor is just so agitated because Krydor’s feelings for the turkey were hurt.

I just cannot fathom the mental gymnastics it must take for a lefty liberal to be outraged about a Turkey being prepared for eating, yet sticking a scissors into the back of a babies head, snipping the brain stem and sucking out the brains is something to be lauded.

It’s something they had no problem with in their candidate.

Yet Sara’Cuda is somehow the evil one.

91Veteran on November 22, 2008 at 12:10 PM

kelley in virginia on November 22, 2008 at 12:02 PM

No, you can’t say that. You may not care what the NYT says. I don’t either. But for the great unwashed, out there, it is relevant. People see NY TIMES headlines and think, gee it must be true, it’s the NY TIMES after all.
Everything Palin does should be done with the question of ‘how will this play in the Times and on CNN’. If the answer is, not so good, they shouldn’t do it.

Is it fair? No. It is reality though.

angryed on November 22, 2008 at 12:10 PM