Maybe the Gray Lady should eat crow for Thanksgiving

posted at 9:47 am on November 22, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

I’m always amused by people who decry the slaughter of animals for food as some barbaric practice, as if people haven’t been eating meat for the entire history of homo sapiens.  Where, exactly, do people like the editors of the New York Times think the turkey for their Thanksgiving originates — a Star Trek replicator?  Instead of laughing off what was a poor decision by Palin’s staff for an interview location, we instead hear shrieks of executions from the Gray Lady:

We’ve differed with Sarah Palin a great deal on substance. We don’t agree with her hardline approach to the Iraq War, her harsh anti-government rhetoric, and her style of negative campaigning.

But we also worry a bit about, how should we put it, the persona she has brought with her to national politics. We did not care at all for the swipe she took against community organizers at the Republican National Convention.

And then there’s this. You don’t have to be a huge animal lover to question why Governor Palin chose to be interviewed — while issuing a traditional seasonal pardon of a turkey — while turkeys were being executed in the background.

I read about this clip from Allahpundit and other bloggers before I bothered to watch it, and I thought it would be much worse. Color me underwhelmed:

If this is what twisted the NYT’s knickers, then make sure no one ever takes them to an industrial-scale slaughterhouse.  This is basically free-range handling.  We’re not seeing vast machinery beheading a string of turkeys in some sort of dehumanized assembly-line process.

One man butchers a turkey for food (two, actually), and the New York Times gets the vapors.  Have any of them ever eaten meat?  At all?  The editors of the Times should declare right now whether they plan to eat real turkey on Thanksgiving, and/or use turkey in sandwiches from now on.  If so, how would they expect to have that available to them without the kind of process seen in this clip?  Did they think that turkeys somehow committed suicide and left wills donating their bodies to family dining tables around the world?

Executed.  Someone send the Times a vat of smelling salts.

I’ll be home with my family in California for Thanksgiving this year, while my son’s famly heads to Alabama for a Southern Thanksgiving with my daughter-in-law’s family.  We will be enjoying all of the trimmings as well as the traditional turkey, and I doubt that any of us will be surprised to learn that someone killed the turkey before we shoved it into the oven.  Maybe the New York Times considers that news in Manhattan, but that only gives readers an idea of how out-of-touch the Paper of Shrieking Hysteria has become.

Update: Tom Maguire thought that the birds committed suicide after several hours of forced listening to NPR.  Now, that would just be cruel.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

The NYT is the paper equivelant of that creepy boyfriend who just can’t let go and move on.

anniekc on November 22, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Life is a Starbucks to the NYT editorial board.

mylegsareswollen on November 22, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Palin rocks!

Firebird on November 22, 2008 at 9:52 AM

I was six or seven years old the first time I saw my mother and brother chop a chicken’s head off so we could clean and eat it.

Vincenzo on November 22, 2008 at 9:53 AM

Sarah should send the NY Times a live turkey as a gesture of goodwill.

perroviejo on November 22, 2008 at 9:53 AM

You think that’s bad, imagine what she would do to government.

Firebird on November 22, 2008 at 9:55 AM

“We don’t agree with her hardline approach to the Iraq War, her harsh anti-government rhetoric, and her style of negative campaigning.”

Obviously the NY Times is only allowed to use these labels against conservatives because left-wingers are so full of love – or something.

They still hate Sarah because she is way…too…cool.

perroviejo on November 22, 2008 at 9:56 AM

A drowning is never pretty. The NYT is drowning. See if I bother to throw them a line.

watson007 on November 22, 2008 at 9:57 AM

I heard a story about the queen of england (the current one) once…she would follow her husband as he went bird hunting in balmoral…and she would twist the heads off the birds he shot…you know the Queen’s not such a bad old girl!!

right4life on November 22, 2008 at 9:57 AM

Sarah should send the NY Times a live turkey as a gesture of goodwill.

No – she should wrap up a fresh-killed one in their paper and THEN send it to them. At least their paper would be good for something.

katiejane on November 22, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Is it bad that when the guy killing the turkeys kept turning around like “am I going to get in trouble for this?” I kept laughing? That guy was cracking me up.

PALIN!

Doppleganker on November 22, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Well give them a video of Al-Qaida killing American soldiers, that would please them.

the_nile on November 22, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Sarah should send the NY Times a live turkey as a gesture of goodwill.

perroviejo on November 22, 2008 at 9:53 AM

Why? Does the Slimes’s editorial board need a new member?

I am so freekin’ tired of the NYT’s attitudes and the holier-than-thou tone with which they dispense their “wisdom.”

Fortunately, I can read excerpts here. I un-bookmarked the NYT website long ago, and refuse to click through to read anything there.

That may change, BTW. I will gleefully read their final issue.

MrScribbler on November 22, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Yet, they had no problems with all the cheap shot and lies about her and her family.

Yeah right. Just another way to take another cheap shot while looking like ignorant New Yorkers. Maybe, the NYT prefers to eat their turkeys live?

Blake on November 22, 2008 at 10:00 AM

katiejane on November 22, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Turkey wrap?

the_nile on November 22, 2008 at 10:00 AM

Good grief. What is wrong with this country? I don’t think we “soft sons of Democracy” could beat Hitler if he were around today. Or even Mussolini.

jazz_piano on November 22, 2008 at 10:01 AM

Obama and chicken dinners–

Lolo shrugged and looked down at me. “The boy should know where his dinner is coming from. What do you think, Barry?” I looked at my mother, then turned back to face the man holding the chicken. Lolo nodded again, and I watched the man set the bird down, pinning it gently under one knee and pulling its neck out across a narrow gutter. For a moment the bird struggled, beating its wings hard against the ground, a few feathers dancing up with the wind. Then it grew completely still. The man pulled the blade across the bird’s neck in a single smooth motion. Blood shot out in a long, crimson ribbon. The man stood up, holding the bird far away from his body, and suddenly tossed it high into the air. It landed with a thud, then struggled to its feet, its head lolling grotesquely against its side, its legs pumping wildly in a wide, wobbly circle. I watched as the circle grew smaller, the blood trickling down to a gurgle, until finally the bird collapsed, lifeless on the grass.
Lolo rubbed his hand across my head and told me and my mother to go wash up before dinner. The three of us ate quietly under a dim yellow bulb-chicken stew and rice, and then a dessert of red, hairy-skinned fruit so sweet at the center that only a stomachache could make me stop.
Barack Obama –Dreams From My Father

I wont say anything more-its obvious the hypocrisy.

canditaylor68 on November 22, 2008 at 10:01 AM

NYC is so totally divorced from farming and production that they simply have no idea how food or anything is made. Years ago I recall going grocery shopping th “the city” during a time when the farmers were protesting in DC. SOme of the shoppers were discussing farmers with obvious disgust and one said in perfectly serious tones “Who needs these farmers anyway? I can get all the food I want at Waldbaums!”
Amazing the ignorance of these self-proclaimed sophisticates.

clnurnberg on November 22, 2008 at 10:01 AM

Some of you need to relax your colective sphincters. The irony of my suggestion to send the NY Times a live turkey is, “Now what do we do with a live turkey?”

“Goodwill Gesture.” As if…

perroviejo on November 22, 2008 at 10:03 AM

I was sickened by the video and I’m a Palin supporter… but that’s just because I have a soft spot for animals. Yet, I’m having Turkey for Thanksgiving. I always thought they just showed up in the store like that. My bad.

This is why I could never work on a farm, but I appreciate the end result. There’s something about seeing it that is disturbing.

Has this turkey slaughter farm not heard of an ax? They could save themselves a bundle and just humanely chop their heads off with one blow. Its’ the writhing of the poor birds that is disturbing. Feedign them head first into a meat grinder? Who the hell thought that would be a great idea? Use an ax! It’s cheap, its fast, its tradition.

Geesh.

Amy Proctor on November 22, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Tsk tsk. Here’s a link from The Times to hundreds of Turkey recipes.

Tofu for thee, but not for me.

Buy Danish on November 22, 2008 at 10:04 AM

So now the New York Times believes being anti-government is a bad thing? Now that’s change.

SoulGlo on November 22, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Palin stood where she did because she knew what would be in the background. It was symbolism that represented the Obama voters as Turkeys.

izoneguy on November 22, 2008 at 10:04 AM

What’s funny about this is when families get together next Thursday everyone will talk about this and Sarah and say can you please pass the food ; )

Firebird on November 22, 2008 at 10:05 AM

Pathetic. These are the same people who’s mindset supports, through rationalizing a justification, the slow sawing off of the head of an innocent human being by terrorist scum.

Itchee Dryback on November 22, 2008 at 10:05 AM

Liberals think turkeys come out of the egg pre-packaged in plastic that just expands when they grow. Weight it, slap a label on it, freeze and sell.

Liberals have always been a little warped in the head.

tarpon on November 22, 2008 at 10:07 AM

Remind me again when Obama or Biden said any cheap shots or lies about Palin’s family? In fact they had specifically denounced such cheap shots. That’s the difference, not only are the surrogates of your former VP candidate classes….your actual VP candidate was classless.

crr6 on November 22, 2008 at 10:08 AM

I have no doubt the whole video plot was a wonderfully intentional finger in the eye…well done, Sarahcuda ;)

LadinPlaid on November 22, 2008 at 10:08 AM

I am amazed by folks like these in NYC and other “spots of urbane sophistication”. I live in Birmingham, Alabama and I have been provided the opportunity to travel to many different places. The lack of true awareness of other cultures and beliefs is shocking. If I’m a trog, then so be it. At least I’m not a whimpy, fearful, “Fairness Doctrine” loving bigot. Don’t worry, NYC folks and others like you, your daddies/lovers, Obama and the Federal Government will make it all better!!

dragonash on November 22, 2008 at 10:08 AM

Vincenzo on November 22, 2008 at 9:53 AM

Same here, I was horrified.
And Then… We Ate.

Someone hand me a clever. Daddy’s eating chicken tonight!

Amadeus on November 22, 2008 at 10:09 AM

NY Times…Nuts?

therightwinger on November 22, 2008 at 10:09 AM

Such fear and loathing of Sarah Palin from the MSM and the unhinged Left!
This woman must really scare the bejeezus out of them when they think about 2012 and beyond…

Bruno Strozek on November 22, 2008 at 10:09 AM

Keep in mind the implicit contempt for Tim the Turkey-slaughterer…NYT hates men like that, you know, like Tito the Construction worker and Joe the Plumber.

Richard Romano on November 22, 2008 at 10:09 AM

SoulGlo on November 22, 2008 at 10:04 AM

They couldn’t stand her criticizing Bush…

the_nile on November 22, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Geesh.

Amy Proctor on November 22, 2008 at 10:03 AM

I don’t think that is a meat grinder–when he takes the turkey out, the head is still intact.
Does anyone know how this works?
And can somebody tell me why he is so well in focus when the shot is on Sara? The camera man gets to pick the shot, so he was either ignorant or did this on purpose.

Count to 10 on November 22, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Oh, but if it was a partial birth abortion, no big deal, right Obama?

Firebird on November 22, 2008 at 10:13 AM

NYT = Heads full of mush masquerading as intellectual elites.

petefrt on November 22, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Ah yes. Wonderful memories each year at this time. I always remember Les Nespin from WKRP in Cincy. Dropping those live turkeys from helicopters. The whole “wet bags of cement” comments are still with me.

JonRoss on November 22, 2008 at 10:13 AM

It is truly hypocritical, isn’t it? Not only turkey recipes but plenty of ads for furs and leather goods of every conceivable type.

I have always been struck by the ads for opulent accessories and apparel in the NYT and the addition of tiny letters “remember the neediest” sprinkled among the pages.
If the NYT reader with the $12,000 fur coat and the $2,000 handbag eats tofu for Thanksgiving dinner it will not be over worries about “executions”

clnurnberg on November 22, 2008 at 10:14 AM

ninjapirate on November 22, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Until now, the New York Times editorial staff thought the turkeys were quietly talked into suicide.

Cicero43 on November 22, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Makes me wonder what the reaction would be if she stood in front of a baby being aborted.

Something like this?

“We, The Times, have a new-found respect for Palin. Finally, cracks in her rigid ideology may be starting to form-there’s hope yet for the Republican Party….”

hippie_chucker on November 22, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Looks like the Gray Lady[?!?!] is in her death bed. :oP

DannoJyd on November 22, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Ah yes, it reminds me of the time Reagan toured that Texas abattoir in support of a slumping cattle industry. Oh, wait, that never happened. Why did that never happen? Because Reagan wasn’t utterly oblivious to his surroundings.

Look, you hardcore types might think she’s awesome because she chose to hold an interview in plain sight of a turkey slaughter, but the rest of the world thinks it makes her look like an idiot.

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Turkey Guts!—-wrap in New York Times newsprint,(before digesting) and deposit in nearest trash can.

Rovin on November 22, 2008 at 10:19 AM

I’ll help the NYT write wills for turkeys across the nation, if only to get a kick out of it. Can you imagine how pissy they’ll get when they find out the turkey didn’t leave them the leg?

Sir Corky on November 22, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Aside from the hypervenilating by the Times, Governor Palin’s PR people might want to put a little more planning into her photo-ops. The turkey execution meme is laughable, but the image of poor organization lingers, considering she was there to pardon one turkey. She’s gonna also need votes from people who appreciate a competent staff. If she did it as a “in your face, keepin’ it real” statement, it was a bad idea.

a capella on November 22, 2008 at 10:20 AM

JonRoss on November 22, 2008 at 10:13 AM

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!

Arthur Carlson “The Big Guy” – WKRP

The New York Times is so isolated, they have no concept of life outside the Northeast. Elistism at its arrogant finest!

kingsjester on November 22, 2008 at 10:20 AM

hippie_chucker on November 22, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Good call. I would like to see what they would write at the NYT.

Sir Corky on November 22, 2008 at 10:20 AM

The New York Times is still in business? I thought people were donating owned stocks to charity, it’s worth more to write them off as a loss than to sell them.

Hog Wild on November 22, 2008 at 10:20 AM

I would have liked to see Sarah cutting the heads off the birds personally,while she chants “democrats 2012″

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on November 22, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 10:18 AM

The rest of the world really don’t like America anyway .

the_nile on November 22, 2008 at 10:21 AM

Be sure you wrap the carcass of your eaten turkey in the NYT before placing in the trash.

ammo john on November 22, 2008 at 10:21 AM

My late beloved Grandmother could pick a chicken up by the head, do a quick round house action, and send the headless beast off across the barn yard. A sight to behold. When she was young, during the 1930s, she and my grandfather ran a cafe for factory workers in east Tennessee. The chicken man would drop caged beasts off at the back door of their house, which was attached to the cafe, around 3:00am. My grandmother would be there to greet him. She would “process” them and have them frying by 4:00 and ready for the factory guys when they came in around 5:00 for breakfast. She always said she felt like she was lucky to have a home and a job. Wonder what Pinch Sulzburger’s grandparent’s mornings were like back then ?

JonRoss on November 22, 2008 at 10:22 AM

Ha! How typical of the decadent, city-dweller class. They live on the receiving end of a whole series of delivery systems – they have their food, water, electricity and security provided for them by someone else – and are utterly oblivious to the realities of life in the rest of the world.

I suspect that we’re going to get a steady drumbeat of “Palin-as-idiot” stories over the next four years. That’s exactly what the NYT and others did to George Bush, and it exemplifies the democrat strategy. They don’t debate issues or even make much of a case for their own policies, they just package their politicians in slick packages and use their media allies to discredit Republicans.

Kinda Orwellian, actually…

commenter on November 22, 2008 at 10:22 AM

Dude, when I was a young’n we butchered chickens… my dad would grab them, situate their heads between the ground and his boot, and pull their heads off… they would run around for a minute or so headless but usually with a long bloody bleeding neck protruding through the top, then they would hit the ground and flop a bit, and it ended with some creepy twitching… afterwards, we would repeatedly dump the bodies in hot scolding water in order to loosen up the feather… then we would pluck them… then we would stick are hands in there and pull out the guts and then eventually chop it up in nice edible peices…

ninjapirate on November 22, 2008 at 10:14 AM

My only experience with live food is crabbing. We would go out into the bay in a little row boat, toss fish-head-baited crab nets into the water, wait, haul them back up, and dump the crabs into the boat. Back on land, my father or grandfather would smack the craps on the chopping block to knock off their shells, and then toss the crabs in pots of water to boil alive.
The make high pitch screaming sounds as the air in them heats up and escapes from their shells.

Count to 10 on November 22, 2008 at 10:22 AM

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 10:18 AM

You may have worded that a little strongly, but I’m inclined to agree.

a capella on November 22, 2008 at 10:23 AM

WKRP in Cincy. Dropping those live turkeys from helicopters.

JonRoss on November 22, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Ahhh, one of the great shows of all time!

I stopped watching TV comedy after “WKRP” and “Taxi” went off the air.

petefrt on November 22, 2008 at 10:24 AM

They are just angry because they are suppose to pick what part of real life we see.

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2008 at 10:24 AM

a capella on November 22, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Sarah is in the real world, not a staged photo-op, this is why she has so much grassroots support accorss the country.

Firebird on November 22, 2008 at 10:25 AM

I suspect she “should” have done it in front of the governors office with a pre-selected cleaned up bird chosen for the occasion, but Palin is not hypocrite enough to do this. She seemed to think the whole pardon thing was a huge joke and the people on the farm seemed to think so too.

As for how to get NYC to “get it”, why not fill Central Park with a few thousand “pardoned” birds and an equal number of poor little Bambis full of deer ticks. Deers running into Broadway and huge birds everywhere will drive the point home.

clnurnberg on November 22, 2008 at 10:25 AM

I can see a New York Times ad: “WANTED–INFORMATION ON WATERBOARDED AND EXECUTED TURKEYS”

Rovin on November 22, 2008 at 10:26 AM

The finger of condemnation says: liberal, you cling to the infantile ideal of comfort, you erect the massive teats of big government so that you and your friends may eternally suck. You squeal for the utopia of the endless teat because you fear the wretchedness and exhaustion of real work, therefore would rather steal the fruits from others. You are a thief, liberal.

Perhaps, this is the psychological basis of the liberal’s profound contempt for the heartland of America.

jeff_from_mpls on November 22, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Would this MSM outrage make the case against abortion easier?

the_nile on November 22, 2008 at 10:26 AM

cr6:

How about the dripping distain that Obama showed when he referred to her not as the Governor of Alaska, but the Mayor of Wassila? A Governor outranks a Senator in protocol. What about the team of lawyers that Obama sent to Alaska to dig up dirt and when they didn’t find any they made it up.

jerryofva on November 22, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Reminds me of a joke the comedian Bill Engvall told.

He had been deer hunting with his brother in law, a deer in the back on their truck. When they parked at a store alady approached them and demanded to know if they had killed that dear. Before he could say anything, his bro in law said-

“No m`am, we did not kill this deer…..It was the saddest thing. He were coming down the road, stopped at an intersection. This deer hopped in the back of the truck, handed us a note and then shot himself……….Here`s your sign.”

ThePrez on November 22, 2008 at 10:28 AM

I suspect the “rest of the world” eats meat at every available opportunity too, Krydor. And how about the slaughter in Kenya in honor of Obama’s election? They had quite the non-vegetarian feast, I hear.

clnurnberg on November 22, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Blake on November 22, 2008 at 10:00 AM

crr6 on November 22, 2008 at 10:08 AM

Go back and read Blake’s comment again, troll. Nowhere does his comment refer to your Gods Obama and Biden. It was aimed at the NYT…which showered its eleven daily readers with unsubstantiated drivel about the Palins ad nauseam.

Patrick S on November 22, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Firebird on November 22, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Support of the vaunted base does not necessarily translate into mainstream support. See “McGovern, George: 1972″.

What you have 4 more years to look forward to is more of this. Cameras now follow Palin because Palin delivers comedy gold.

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 10:30 AM

crr6 on November 22, 2008 at 10:08 AM

“they” = New York Times

Now you’ve gone and gotten your panties in a bunch over nothing. The reference was never about Obambi and Joe the Dumber.

Who’s classless now?

fogw on November 22, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Itchee Dryback on November 22, 2008 a

I was going to bring up abortion too.

You beat me to it!

artist on November 22, 2008 at 10:32 AM

That is freakin’ awesome. I am so impressed by her. Down to earth, kills her own turkey, cooks, better governing policy than 99.99999% of all politicians, and is sexy all at the same time. What isn’t to like about her?

Tim Burton on November 22, 2008 at 10:33 AM

clnurnberg on November 22, 2008 at 10:28 AM

They also know how to stage photo ops in Kenya. My gripe, in case you missed it, is that she UNAWARE as to how the scene would play in AREAS SHE NEEDS TO WIN THE PRESIDENCY.

She learned nothing from Couric making her look stupid. Her handlers should be fired. She should fade away.

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 10:33 AM

I don’t know for sure but I think the device the man is putting the turkeys into is little more than a funnel over a trough to catch the blood.

I think he puts the turkey into the funnel, pulls the head out of the bottom, slits it’s throat, and then hold it there until it bleeds out and stops moving.

rockbend on November 22, 2008 at 10:34 AM

Turkey Processing = BAD, Abortion & Infanticide = GOOD

gman43 on November 22, 2008 at 10:34 AM

Abortion is probably another process that just happens without blood or trauma in the minds of the NYT staff. The “product” is not flesh and blood, doesn’t have a head a spine or legs….it’s just a blob. Maybe they need to see an abortion and then they may think it compares with turkey “execution”

clnurnberg on November 22, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Actually I have 4 years max of sheer enjoyment watching your God Barrack piss off sissy mary anti-Americans like yourself as reality forces him to back away from many a campaign promise. I DO hope you stick around so you can take it better than you try to give it.

Patrick S on November 22, 2008 at 10:35 AM

She took on the nat’l press, Wash. insiders and the Beltway Elite in her acceptance speech at the RNCC. I think these people are sadly mistaken when the assume she doesn’t know what she is doing. Sarah Palin did not get to where she is by being a rube and these people know it and fear her. They have to rip her apart before bobo does something stupid and “mark my words” he will. When this time comes they will be in Alaska asking her what she thinks and would she have handled it differently.

thomasaur on November 22, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Realize that turkey farms are in the business of slaughtering fowl for eating and also continue to respect Sarah for being true to herself. Do think though, that she could have chose a less controversial back drop for her TV appearance. As for the Times making hay about it, they always will just to prove their shallow points. I don’t know why the right wing blogs keep trying to make the Times feel guilty or point out that the Times is biased. The Times KNOWS this. It’s a waste of effort. If one wants to discredit them, find some other method or means, this one does nothing but give them and their ideas publicity. I’ll bet they are grinning evilly at this one going out on the right wing blogs and air waves.

jeanie on November 22, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Cameras now follow Palin because Palin delivers comedy gold.

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Wouldn’t it be funny if the actual comedy consisted not in the act itself, but it the libtard’s reaction to it?

I remember the comedy gold when Dick Cheney shot his hunting partner. No, the shooting wasn’t particularly funny, worthy of a chuckle maybe. No, the hilarity was when leftist pantywaists like you went scrambling to lexis/nexis to learn about this strange and frightening concept of “hunting.” This thing, they discovered, requires a strange and unusual document called a “hunting license.” And how these hunters purchase the strange and frightening commodities they call “ammunition.”

Who’s the retard, Krydor?

jeff_from_mpls on November 22, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Why does it have to be either a planned stick in the eye to the elite or more proof that she’s an idiot? If this is something she has done in the past, which apparently it is, she probably doesn’t pick the location and I am positive she doesn’t pick what a national media camera man decides to film. Too much is being read into this by everyone and I doubt Gov. Palin choreographes her every move based on who might show up today to film it. This is her life, take it or leave it.

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 10:33 AM

He’s right.

this won’t help her in NC.

Ooops, er, I mean Indiana.

Um, er, OH?

Damn, I know, she will not win SF or NYC!

artist on November 22, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Mmmmm, executed turkey

*drools*

catmman on November 22, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Krydor, Palin will never win the hearts and minds, such as they are, in NYC or at NBC.

If the bambi crowds want to complian let them.

clnurnberg on November 22, 2008 at 10:39 AM

camera’s follow her because she is VERY interesting, and ratings GOLD. People know that she is the most popular women in politics now. She will be a leader for the next 20 years.

ousoonerfan15 on November 22, 2008 at 10:39 AM

God Almighty… the left really fears this woman. I’m encouraged.

D2Boston on November 22, 2008 at 10:41 AM

Well, at least they didn’t waterboard them!

Bfunky292 on November 22, 2008 at 10:41 AM

Executed? Is PETA writing for the NYT now? You do not anthropomorphize animals like that, it cheapens the word.

Palin was a fool for having the photo op there? How dare she assume that people are familiar with how the real world works. She should know that it is the purpose of our elected officials and press to shield us from the harshness of the real world. She should only be photographed in fields of daisies.

Some get Ted Nugent on the line, I need to hear his take on this!

redshirt on November 22, 2008 at 10:41 AM

After 4 years of the coming economic storm they will be publishing “Sarah’s Game Dressing For The Lefty Idiot”.

thomasaur on November 22, 2008 at 10:42 AM

does anyone see the irony here? A turkey is executed but an aborted baby is just a choice?

pullingmyhairout on November 22, 2008 at 10:43 AM

There’s room for all of God’s creatures…….right next to the mashed potatoes.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 22, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Palin is not stupid. She’s accomplished and smart and has done more for the people she represents than Barry did in the Senate.

The turley thing is not comedy except for the silly reaction of a press too stupid to know how their meals get made

clnurnberg on November 22, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Geesh.

Amy Proctor on November 22, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Does anyone know how this works?

Count to 10 on November 22, 2008 at 10:12 AM

I think he is slitting their throat once he puts them in the cone and then they bleed out. Actually very humane and probably equivalent to lopping their heads off, without out all the messy running around spouting blood.

When I was about 12 our family butchered about 30 chickens we had raised. Dad twisted their heads before he chopped them off so they wouldn’t run around. They sorta flopped around for a few seconds. My brother and I had the “pleasure” of dipping them in hot water so they would be easier to pluck. They were good eatin’!

Ordinary1 on November 22, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Damn, I know, she will not win SF or NYC!

artist on November 22, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Yes, because who needs EC votes from CA and NY? Utterly amazing. I am flabbergasted that people still think she is viable.

River in Egypt, indeed.

Krydor on November 22, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Hey NYT …….HEADS……you lose!!!!!

grapeknutz on November 22, 2008 at 10:45 AM

crr6 on November 22, 2008 at 10:08 AM

They didn’t need to take the cheap shots – they had the MSM and the left-wing nutroots doing their dirty work for them.

katiejane on November 22, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Oh, and how many trees are “executed” so the NYT can go to print?

redshirt on November 22, 2008 at 10:46 AM