Quote of the day

posted at 10:50 pm on November 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

“If General Motors, Ford and Chrysler get the bailout that their chief executives asked for yesterday, you can kiss the American automotive industry goodbye.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Portlandon: OK, I think you cleared a few things up. But who cares if his grandfather was a polygamist? Some men left for Mexico because they couldn’t just give up their families. Who would take care of them? How would they live?
Wasn’t the “ones” father a polygamist?
And yes, the raid in Texas was a travesty. I hope the polygs live long and well off of the money they sue the state of Texas for.
And it was the comment about “brainwashing” that killed George Romney’s chances. The media went to town on it.
I’m sure your family feels badly about your choices as I feel bad about some of my children’s choices. But that is what free agency is about – right?

Bambi on November 19, 2008 at 1:05 AM

Would Mitt make a fine President, yes. But he is only half right on this issue. He is right that you will do more harm by giving them a bail out. But there is no difference other than accounting tricks with government paying for their research and development ( or be a “partner” as Mitt said ) and a bail out. 20 Billion is still 20 billion.
Government needs to stop trying to do central planning with the auto makers. If people want to buy greener cars, the market will go that direction.
Simply the government needs to get out of the auto business, let them sink or swim.
And another thing, enough with the Palin vs Romney already…my goodness wait a couple of years. Was Romney my pick in the primaries…yes, but to be honest, he is a weak conservative.

Conservative Voice on November 19, 2008 at 1:15 AM

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

How many bags of rice is that?

Limerick on November 19, 2008 at 12:46 AM

I’m curious.

Does this stuff get voted on, or is this just bureaucratic administrative crap?

And what?

A 1 billion dollar face lift at the UN?

That’s a lot of carpet and paint!

Saltysam on November 19, 2008 at 1:17 AM

Toyota and Honda have shown that you can build cars and expand production in the US and remain profitable. It isn’t “union busting” to tell the “US” auto makers to take a hike (I put that in quotes because there really is no such thing as a US auto maker, they are all global auto makers but they try to play on traditional emotional ties in order to gain support). The UAW has proved they are company busters, in my opinion, and have driven those three automakers broke.

When I buy my next car, I will buy one made in the USA, and it will be a Toyota.

And Toyota is for all practical purposes just as much an American company as GM is. I can purchase shares in Toyota in the New York stock exchange and the moment I do, Toyota is an American owned company. In fact, many Americans own a piece of Toyota and Honda too. If GM can’t produce the cars we want at prices we can afford, then someone else will … right here in the USA with American labor.

Someone needs to tell the UAW that 60% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

crosspatch on November 19, 2008 at 1:22 AM

Barack,
Give Mitt the Treasury job!

PattyJ on November 19, 2008 at 1:27 AM

If it had been Romney/Palin, you dimwit bill kristol, we would be anticipating the inauguration of President Romney.

peacenprosperity on November 18, 2008 at 11:01 PM

No Republican was going to be elected president this year. The country started hurling us up in 2006, and it blew another chunk this year. If we’re lucky, by 2010 America will be down to the dry heaves.

paul006 on November 19, 2008 at 1:28 AM

“No Republican was going to be elected president this year.”

Of course not. What has every 18 year old heard since they were 10? It is going to take a long time to erase that indoctrination out of them … or some serious hard times.

crosspatch on November 19, 2008 at 1:33 AM

paul006 on November 19, 2008 at 1:28 AM

Oh, I don’t know about that. McCain was ahead in polls until the market fell a million points in a day. And that was WITH the MSM acting as Obama’s PR firm and JSM refusing to put Country First and fight with ‘us’ for the Presidency…

Gohawgs on November 19, 2008 at 1:35 AM

“crosspatch on November 19, 2008 at 1:22 AM”

um, just where do you think the money that you buy that toyota with ENDS UP?!

Buckaroo on November 19, 2008 at 1:37 AM

In the pockets of the employees, suppliers, and shareholders.

crosspatch on November 19, 2008 at 1:38 AM

can we please the can the mitt in ‘12 crap?! he lost, it’s over, annnd, ‘10 comes before ‘12 and what will he be doing in ‘10 — nuthin’ …

Buckaroo on November 19, 2008 at 12:03 AM

He will be doing what he has been doing since he dropped out of the race, raising money and trying to stem the liberal tide. He will be campaigning for Chambliss tomorrow. His PAC is Free Strong America. He has raised and given away a lot of money this year. What about you Buckaroo? Oh yea…. nuthin!

UT Cowboy on November 19, 2008 at 1:41 AM

But since Toyota tends to reinvest a larger percentage of their profits into improving plants, it goes also to pay for the people who build and maintain those plants … Americans. And if you hold shares of Toyota that money goes to you. Actually, Toyota wasn’t paying a dividend last time I looked but their stock was over $60 a share.

Some people believe that just because the headquarters is in Japan, that there is some money pipe that sucks all the cash back to Tokyo. Well, every time that plant needs concrete or a welder or a roof repair, that money goes right into the pockets of Americans.

crosspatch on November 19, 2008 at 1:44 AM

paul006 on November 19, 2008 at 1:28 AM

Romney/Palin would have defeated Obama/Biden. It was “the economy, stupid.”
Our candidate was an aged war hero who didn’t understand economics. That was worth at least 8 million votes.

eaglesdontflock on November 19, 2008 at 1:45 AM

I would really love to see Mitt/Sarah in 2012. His business sense and ability to run things successfully. Her sense of energy independence and ability to run things successfully. What a dynamic duo they would make. They are both good looking people and they both have wonderful families. You would think this was made in Heaven.

But, oh no. There are too many idiots in this world to see the good things.

cjs1943 on November 19, 2008 at 1:47 AM

There are no US auto makers. All auto makers are global. If you buy a Buick in China, it will be built in Shanghai, not the US. Allison transmissions are made in Hungary. GM has plants in Poland and Russia. Just like Toyota has plants around the world. There is no such thing as an “American” auto maker. They are ALL global auto makers. Where the office headquarters is doesn’t matter.

crosspatch on November 19, 2008 at 1:55 AM

“UT Cowboy on November 19, 2008 at 1:41 AM”

he can funnel some money to a guy who shouldn’t have been in a runoff in the first place — yay him ….

/and i volunteered on both local and federal races this year, so you can just piss off with yer attitude, douche …

Buckaroo on November 19, 2008 at 1:56 AM

I wish he were going to be Treasury Secretary.

CP on November 19, 2008 at 1:57 AM

” Where the office headquarters is doesn’t matter.”

uh, YES IT DOES …

Buckaroo on November 19, 2008 at 1:57 AM

crosspatch on November 19, 2008 at 1:44 AM

Right on crosspatch. And this is a global economy now and the profits will be invested where ever the best prospects are. If that happens to be the rubble pile of GM then so be it. Let Toyota start over with a better business plan and go from there. Free market.

UT Cowboy on November 19, 2008 at 1:57 AM

Buckaroo on November 19, 2008 at 1:56 AM

Where I come from only a child calls themselves “Buckaroo”

I see that applies to you as well.

UT Cowboy on November 19, 2008 at 2:02 AM

C’mon, with nicknames like Buckaroo and UT Cowboy y’all should be best buds…

UT Cowboy, what does the UT stand for? Utah, Univ. of Tenn, Univ. of Tex?

Gohawgs on November 19, 2008 at 2:07 AM

“UT Cowboy on November 19, 2008 at 2:02 AM”

heh — where i come from only a deluded moron calls himself a cowboy …

/there’s a specific reason i use this nic …

Buckaroo on November 19, 2008 at 2:08 AM

I have a 15 year old Toyota pickup that I have never had a moment’s trouble with save having to replace normal wear-out items (brakes and one clutch plate). It starts every morning, it has never left me. It doesn’t burn any oil. The body will rust off that truck before it dies. It sips gas but is peppy when I mash it. The only other vehicle I ever owned that was as dependable was a 225 slant six in an old Duster than I gave to a cousin when it was almost 20 years old but it was a pain in the ass having to adjust the valve lash every couple of oil changes or so (solid lifters).

“American” companies don’t make cars like that anymore. The only time that Toyota has seen the inside of the shop is for regular scheduled maintenance. It was three years old when I bought it and I paid $5K for it. It gave me good value for my money. That means I had more wealth in my pocket to “spread around” on other things. Toyota has done me right so far.

crosspatch on November 19, 2008 at 2:10 AM

UT is for Ute Tribe. Yup it is our registered brand in Utah.

Oh and Buckaroo, you can grow up any time now.

UT Cowboy on November 19, 2008 at 2:14 AM

“UT Cowboy on November 19, 2008 at 2:14 AM”

you first …

Buckaroo on November 19, 2008 at 2:17 AM

Someone who actually ran a business speaks out……….

…………… and bureaucrats don’t like it.

Can anyone name three of Mr. Obama, President Elect, the Office of……… current transition team that isn’t a career politician or bureaucrat?

Then name one, just one, single local, state, and especially federal bureaucracy that doesn’t have 50%+ overhead, and is not filled with waste, fraud, and abuse?

…………. elections do mean things. Congratulations America, you are about to get exactly what you deserve.

Seven Percent Solution on November 19, 2008 at 2:18 AM

more substance in one column than in all the McCain-Obama debates combined……

Dirthead on November 19, 2008 at 2:19 AM

C’mon, with nicknames like Buckaroo and UT Cowboy y’all should be best buds…

UT Cowboy, what does the UT stand for? Utah, Univ. of Tenn, Univ. of Tex?

Gohawgs on November 19, 2008 at 2:07 AM

UT is for Ute Tribe.

Ok, scratch what I said about being best buds…go on fighting like buckaroos and Utes…:))

UT Cowboy, do you live in the SE part of Utah?

Gohawgs on November 19, 2008 at 2:24 AM

UT Cowboy, do you live in the SE part of Utah?

Gohawgs on November 19, 2008 at 2:24 AM

On the Rez NE corner. It is called the Uintah Basin. Uintah Band of the Utes.

UT Cowboy on November 19, 2008 at 2:32 AM

UT Cowboy,

I’ve been to/thru Vernal a couple of times traveling between Dinosaur NM and Flaming Gorge on trips, nice area…

Gohawgs on November 19, 2008 at 2:40 AM

NE corner. Uintah Basin. Uintah Band.

UT Cowboy on November 19, 2008 at 2:40 AM

Stop your fake capitalism and go work on your healthcare program, Mitt

lodge on November 19, 2008 at 2:42 AM

Flaming Gorge is on the the far east end of the Uinta Mountains. For 100 miles west it is all Gods country. Beautiful lakes, streams and timber.

UT Cowboy on November 19, 2008 at 2:46 AM

When are we going to stick to Austrian Economics?

Austrian Economics is the only way to save this economy.

Tim Burton on November 19, 2008 at 2:46 AM

I actually thought Mitt’s healthcare program for MA was brilliant. Allow private insurers to compete and not make the government the insurer. I believe he also made it possible for small employers to band together to get insurance for their employees at better rates. That is a great idea. I owned a business and had one employee, it was hard to get insurance, I couldn’t offer it. If I could have pooled my employee in with other local businesses, it might have been a different story.

crosspatch on November 19, 2008 at 2:46 AM

Stop your fake capitalism and go work on your healthcare program, Mitt

lodge on November 19, 2008 at 2:42 AM

Romney is the ultimate capitalist.

UT Cowboy on November 19, 2008 at 2:50 AM

UT Cowboy,

I haven’t made it west of Vernal yet. My travels have taken me to the NE and to Moab and SC/SE Utah. One day I’ll see more of your state.

Have fun bantering with the HA crowd…Night

Gohawgs on November 19, 2008 at 3:01 AM

Gohawgs on November 19, 2008 at 3:01 AM

You have to stay in the mountains to see it. The low country is desert…Night

UT Cowboy on November 19, 2008 at 3:11 AM

Romney is the ultimate capitalist.

He likes mandates. He’s a big government flip-flopper.

lodge on November 19, 2008 at 3:30 AM

When are we going to stick to Austrian Economics?

Austrian Economics is the only way to save this economy.

lodge on November 19, 2008 at 3:30 AM

lodge on November 19, 2008 at 3:30 AM

Yea, that’s how he made his money and saved the olympics.
Big Govmint FLIPFLOPPER. That ones worn out lodge.

UT Cowboy on November 19, 2008 at 3:54 AM

Personally … I buy Hondas now. I just like them. I feel like I’m getting a good value for my $$.

I don’t think any of the Hondas I’m buying are made in the US … but I don’t care. I’m less into “Buying American” than I am in ensuring that my hard earned cash doesn’t benefit terrorist labor unions like the UAW. Buy a Ford – or a GM – and you’re rewarding the extortionist tactics of the labor unions.

The Japanese still have a work ethic … and my $$ will reward that whenever possible – especially when the product is better (and it IS better). Let Detroit die – it deserves to.

If you want a model for success – look to the Southern Auto Industry which has cropped up building cars in America for companies like Nissan. Otherwise – let Detroit burn.

HondaV65 on November 19, 2008 at 5:38 AM

absolutely, you can also kiss a big chunk of American prosperity good bye as well.

rob verdi on November 19, 2008 at 5:48 AM

Yea, that’s how he made his money and saved the olympics.

I don’t see him making money as that big of a positive. I believe a Romney Administration would have a tendency to micromanage the economy and government agencies. Sure, he might do some cost cutting in DC, but I’d prefer a candidate who will just abolish the whole agency instead of just trimming the fat.

We don’t need a President to “run” the economy. The free market should run the economy. A President can get rid of taxes and regulation but other than that we need to let the people run the economy.

lodge on November 19, 2008 at 5:52 AM

I went past the local American Motors dealership today and they didn’t seem to have any new cars to sell…Daddy didn’t do as great a job as you think, did he?

You’r statement makes no sense; AMC was brought out by Chrysler back in the late 80′s

A news flash for you too- One of the major reasons that AMC was unable to compete well in the 70′s was government. You see unlike Japan, the US government had rules on the books forbidding car compainies from sharing tech & costs.

So here is GM, Ford, Chrysler and AMC all doing seperate Research and Development on the same emissions parts like converters, EGR valves, vapor return systems… While Japan just pooled its resources and all the car makers there used the same parts for several years.

The government here was worried about price fixing you see, so in the end we got screwed anyways becuase the huge costs were passed onto the consumer.

gdonovan on November 19, 2008 at 6:16 AM

I hope the polygs live long and well off of the money they sue the state of Texas for.–Bambi

There were those of us in Texas fighting for their civil rights. The victims have already settled the score burning down the historical Governors Mansion. If they go to trial, they open up more cans of worms than they may be able to handle, destroying their ideal/necessary privacy enabling their being left alone to do as they will.

Your HOPE is harsh. Along those lines, have the polygs sue the modern Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for having initiating the revealed New and Everlasting Covenant as a spiritual requirement in the first place.

maverick muse on November 19, 2008 at 7:34 AM

I’m astounded at the stupidity of the “anti-Mormon” crowd. I’m not Mormom, but every one I’ve ever known has had more integrity and value than any number of the goofball Christian’s I’ve known. To assume that Mitt Romney isn’t qualified because of his beliefs is ridiculous. At this point, brains trump everything else.

anniekc on November 19, 2008 at 7:52 AM

I do a lot of business with Mormons in Utah. I don’t have one negative thing to say. People are put off by some of their beliefs, but hey, all religions are sketchy. Look at your own. Their morals, strong family values and honesty have always impressed me. Their beliefs may puzzle you, but their belief in the 10 commandments are clear; and that’s what counts.

marklmail on November 19, 2008 at 8:00 AM

Hey! Didn’t Mittens win the Michigan primary by promising to pump money into the auto industry? Funny how that principle changed all of the sudden.
Illinidiva on November 18, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Proof that there is much wisdom to the concept that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Mitt said then, and now, that he wants to increase the budget for technological research to $20 billion a year.

Oh, and by the way, Mittster: I went past the local American Motors dealership today and they didn’t seem to have any new cars to sell…Daddy didn’t do as great a job as you think, did he
MrScribbler on November 18, 2008 at 11:34 PM

MrScribbler gets the award for the most idiotic comment of the day week year.

Buy Danish on November 19, 2008 at 8:10 AM

The American auto industry is vital to our national interest as an employer and as a hub for manufacturing. A managed bankruptcy may be the only path to the fundamental restructuring the industry needs. It would permit the companies to shed excess labor, pension and real estate costs. The federal government should provide guarantees for post-bankruptcy financing and assure car buyers that their warranties are not at risk.

In a managed bankruptcy, the federal government would propel newly competitive and viable automakers, rather than seal their fate with a bailout check.

Mitt Romney

Sounds good.

Illidiva, Romney did campaign to create government work programs that I criticized as socialist.

maverick muse on November 19, 2008 at 8:20 AM

maverick muse on November 19, 2008 at 8:20 AM

He did no such thing! But hey, why take my word for it? Why don’t you provide a specific link of something Mitt actually said to back up your claim?

Buy Danish on November 19, 2008 at 9:11 AM

Three Sentences, with a run-on at the end:

1) Let me know where there are half priced, brand new vehicles.

2) American cars are better than ever and I love my Cadillac (which does not hog gas).

3) Letting Detroit slide can kill the Republican party as we know it. Let us see: the economy tanks, Detroit really does burn and the Democrats blame the present downturn and the media helps. Then The One slowly brings it back (if at all — given his socialist dreams) and any improvement augers for extra terms and successors.

IlikedAUH2O on November 19, 2008 at 9:26 AM

Final Thought:

Most of what the foreign automakers do is more socialist than the UAW. That includes their care of workers, sharing technology and selling under cost when necessary.

Meantime, their shops over here let the US taxpayer pay for health benefits and are generally tough places to work where the employees have no alternative.

Most of the jobs are in parts and I have been told that some parts of your Toyota (or the liberal’s Subaru) come from places that make the Nike death camps look good.

IlikedAUH2O on November 19, 2008 at 9:31 AM

As for the rest of the line, all I can say is that I drove a Honda Civic until it turned to dust beneath my feet; best car I ever owned.

My 1989 civic just died this year. It had almost 300,000 miles on it and was handed down several times to different teenage relatives, so it did not have an easy life. That was a great car.

Ann NY on November 19, 2008 at 9:33 AM

Once again let me personally thank Mike Suckabee for giving us President elect Barak Hussein Obama!

I’m still blaming 7 of 9 for the Obamastrocity….

Ann NY on November 19, 2008 at 9:35 AM

Romney/Jindal 2012!

davenp35 on November 19, 2008 at 9:41 AM

They are talking about all the money the ceo’s are taking and flying in on private jets to beg for money from the taxpayer. Romney took nothing from the Olympics and I’m sure he would do the same as a ceo of one of the “American” auto companies.

Bambi on November 19, 2008 at 9:52 AM

anniekc on November 19, 2008 at 7:52 AM

marklmail on November 19, 2008 at 8:00 AM

Very well-stated, both of you. I am a Lutheran who has visited Salt Lake City several times, and though I do not agree with all the tenets of their faith, I have an immense respect for how Mormons live their lives. My impression, and humble opinion, of them is that they embody many of the values that Reagan conservatives in this nation hold dear. If all of our families were as strong as theirs, we as a nation would be in much better shape. Despite my differing beliefs, I consider Mormons my brothers and sisters in Christ.

OneVision on November 19, 2008 at 10:07 AM

From the comments and recommendations at NYT its pretty obvious that a lot of people want the government to solve all their problems.

Speakup on November 19, 2008 at 10:10 AM

You guys are right, of course.

Let the automakers compete or die. That is what I have to do!

Primarily, I trying NOT to have The One for eight years.

God help us.

IlikedAUH2O on November 19, 2008 at 11:26 AM

Romney is right! If a business is unprofitable and their business models yield no return then they will eventually cease to exist. Won’t matter how much money from taxpayers OR investors that you throw at it. If the model loses money it will eventually close. And the only thing to save it is to radically change the business model which can only be done in restructuring atmosphere of bankruptcy. There is little that can be done outside of it. Well, not little, but not enough to make a difference.

Lori on November 19, 2008 at 12:07 PM

And detroit needs to listen to the guy who sees their demise and knows how to turn it around.

Lori on November 19, 2008 at 12:08 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with Mr. Romney on this. I have never been a fan of unions, having grown up in Wichita Ks. and seeing the tactics employed by the aircraft industry unions which helped kill the general aviation industry in the early 80′s. Beech, Cessna, Lear Jet and even Boeing had to drastically scale back the workforce, renegotiate union contracts and in some cases allow themselves to be bought out by larger companies like Raytheon etc. It took 7-8 years for everything to turn around but they eventually came back as the economy got better and older planes needed to be replaced. The unions have outlived their usefulness long ago and have hurt many more companies and workers than they have helped in the last 30 years.

ic1redeye on November 19, 2008 at 12:37 PM

anniekc on November 19, 2008 at 7:52 AM

I was a FRED guy, and then an adrent supporter of McCain. As i get to know more about Mitt, I like what I see. Saw him on Fox News today, and he obviously knows what he is talking about, which is refreshing. I think he may be a viable candidate for 2012. I love Palin and Jindal but believe they both need more seasoning before they are ready; and please don’t compare them to Obama’s less experience, I realize that; I just want the Republican candidate to actually be ready to lead.

Red State State of Mind on November 19, 2008 at 8:43 PM