14-year-old wears “McCain girl” shirt to school, with predictable results

posted at 3:00 pm on November 13, 2008 by Allahpundit

That wasn’t very tolerant of her, now was it?

“People were upset. But they started saying things, calling me very stupid, telling me my shirt was stupid and I shouldn’t be wearing it,” Catherine said.

Then it got worse.

“One person told me to go die. It was a lot of dying. A lot of comments about how I should be killed,” Catherine said, of the tolerance in Oak Park.

But students weren’t the only ones surprised that she wore a shirt supporting McCain.

“In one class, I had one teacher say she will not judge me for my choice, but that she was surprised that I supported McCain,” Catherine said…

One student suggested that she be put up on a cross for her political beliefs.

“He said, ‘You should be crucifixed.’ It was kind of funny because, I was like, don’t you mean ‘crucified?’ ” Catherine said.

Other entries in her notebook involved suggestions by classmates that she be “burned with her shirt on” for “being a filthy-rich Republican.”

Some said that because she supported McCain, by extension she supported a plan by deranged skinheads to kill Obama before the election.

She switched to a more appropriate shirt the next day and thus was her share in the monopoly on virtue restored. Her teacher, who collaborated in the experiment, insists that the class learned its lesson once the details were finally revealed. Uh huh. I look forward to their musings as JV nutroots bloggers four years from now, when they’ll deftly explain why an ad featuring Obama and, say, Lindsay Lohan is actually neocon code for racist rape/assassination fantasies.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You got it Beth! This is where the militia will begin if we have to overthrow our Gubment!

ReaganConservative3 on November 13, 2008 at 3:53 PM

We are ready too.. GA is kinda, sorta similar, sorta…

beththebaker on November 13, 2008 at 4:09 PM

I think we might just have to avoid one another any time Time comes into play…

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on November 13, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Naw… I’m just messin’ with you..

beththebaker on November 13, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Actually, given this climate it should be pretty darn easy for jihadis to advocate beheadings for political differences here in the near future.

The behavior of the Obamunists lets us know that we are closer to the jihadis than we think and that the veneer of civilization is terrifyingly thin

clnurnberg on November 13, 2008 at 4:03 PM

Yes, after January 20, 2009, the birds will chirp sweeter, the air will be cleaner, the billy clubs coming down on Non-believers will swing harder and we will all love Obama.
The party of Tolerance….my ass.

HornetSting on November 13, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Great Story. I love up-in-arms but misguided. Like Emily Litella on SNL. “Never mind.”

hawkdriver on November 13, 2008 at 4:03 PM

Davis also plays home to SOS (Students for an Orwellian Society), a group that, when “active” always says the exact opposite of what they mean. And drops the occasional reference to “1984.”

Count to 10 on November 13, 2008 at 4:14 PM

The party of Tolerance….my ass.

HornetSting on November 13, 2008 at 4:11 PM

“Do you know what the chain of command is? It’s the chain I go get and ruttin’ beat you with to show you who’s in command!!”

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on November 13, 2008 at 4:14 PM

I’m with you on that one.
Any of those who called her “stupid,” or even told her to die, or be “crucifixed” come up and apologize?

Doubtful

ToddonCapeCod on November 13, 2008 at 4:17 PM

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on November 13, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Yowzer! Show me those teeth, Grue!

HornetSting on November 13, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Obamanazis are for freedom of speech!

…as long as it is the correct speech…

landlines on November 13, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Maybe next we’ll get someone a t-shirt that reads:Marriage = one man + one woman. Then send them to Cali and see what the reaction is.

vcferlita on November 13, 2008 at 4:45 PM

I appreciate her courage. No guts – No glory……

DL13 on November 13, 2008 at 4:54 PM

The mom’s a liberal, and dad is now laughing at her for being so taken in by the hate…now her daughter has felt the hate, I wonder if the mom thinks it is Okay, I bet she excuses it.

right2bright on November 13, 2008 at 4:58 PM

Kudos for the parents and teacher (tho I bet the teacher didn’t think the outcome was this)…I think the dad set them all up, he is a conservative and he knew.

right2bright on November 13, 2008 at 4:59 PM

I can guarantee that a student doing this at the high school where I work would have the exact same reaction.

Bob's Kid on November 13, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Smooth Rooster on November 13, 2008 at 3:37 PM

I went to UC Davis too, nice campus but still a liberal bastion.

Liberty or Death on November 13, 2008 at 5:06 PM

right2bright on November 13, 2008 at 4:58 PM

That right there is the big question. How does the lib mom feel now that she’s seen it unleashed on her own flesh and blood?

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on November 13, 2008 at 5:08 PM

8th graders, liberals/leftists. What’s the difference?

Harpoon on November 13, 2008 at 3:54 PM

8th graders are about 8 years more mature?

The Monster on November 13, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Bob’s Kid, where I live an Obama shirt will get the taunts.

I wonder what the reaction to an Obama shirt in rural Oklahoma would be?

Pelayo on November 13, 2008 at 5:30 PM

That’s it. I am becoming a room mother. And I don’t even have kids.

sherry on November 13, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Sounds an awful lot like the Hitler Youth.

Obama’s building his taxpayer funded SA, got his Hitler Youth…any thoughts on who’s goin’ to the camps?

SuperCool on November 13, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Devils Advocate – We sure she wasn’t like that RNC worker who got ‘mugged’ and ‘branded’ then was exposed as a fantasist?

Ares on November 13, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Ares on November 13, 2008 at 6:02 PM

The girl never claimed to be on a side, Ares. She seemed amazingly objective. The other girl was pretty much called out from the git go.

pinkelephants on November 13, 2008 at 8:15 PM

Typical
And ya know what, its amazing (sad) to me, left cannot/ will not ever see that they are intolerant of differing opinion.
If you ask them, they will swear to high heaven that differing opinion is great.
The problem is that they only want to hear differing voices that parrot their own viewpoint.
If it differs then they don’t want to hear about it.
Just SAD!

ColdWarrior57 on November 13, 2008 at 8:31 PM

Yet another reason I’m glad I no longer live in Oak Park, which Hemingway so aptly described as “a town of broad lawns and narrow minds.”

Lurking Vet on November 13, 2008 at 8:36 PM

So, did young Catherine make WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD or just a mention as a fascist in tonight’s Speshul Komment?

ScottMcC on November 13, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Well… lets see… in debate class they watched the entire Demoncrat convention… spent a week on it…

The below was sent to me by a lifelong liberal Democrat friend of mine from Boston (who used to pick up cash in paper bags for candidates — rockin it Boston-style.)

2008 Democrat National Convention Schedule of Events

7:00 pm OPENING FLAG BURNING
7:15 pm PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE U.N.
7:20 pm Ted Kennedy PROPOSES A TOAST
7:25 pm NONRELIGIOUS PRAYER AND WORSHIP – Jesse Jackson & Al Sharpton and the Rev. Jeremiah Wright
7:45 pm CEREMONIAL TREE HUGGING – Darryl Hannah
7:55 pm Ted Kennedy PROPOSES A TOAST
8:00 pm HOW I INVENTED THE INTERNET – Al Gore
8:15 pm GAY WEDDING PLANNING – Rosie O’Donnell
8:35 pm Ted Kennedy PROPOSES A TOAST
8:40 pm OUR TROOPS ARE WAR CRIMINALS – John Kerry
9.00 pm MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR SADDAM AND HIS SONS – Cindy Sheehan and Susan Sarandon
10:00 pm ANSWERING MACHINE ETIQUETTE – Alec Baldwin
11:00 pm Ted Kennedy PROPOSES A TOAST
11:05 pm COLLECTION FOR THE OSAMA BIN LADEN KIDNEY TRANSPLANT FUND – Barbara Streisand
11:15 pm FREE THE FREEDOM FIGHTERS FROM GUANTANAMO BAY – Sean Penn
11:30 pm OVAL OFFICE AFFAIRS – William Jefferson Clinton
11:45 pm Ted Kennedy PROPOSES A TOAST
11:50 pm HOW GEORGE BUSH BROUGHT DOWN THE WORLD TRADE TOWERS – Howard Dean
12:15 am TRUTH IN BROADCASTING AWARD – Presented to Dan Rather by Michael Moore
12:25 am Ted Kennedy PROPOSES A TOAST
12:30 am SATELLITE ADDRESS – Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
12:45 am NOMINATION OF Barrack Hussein Obama- Nancy Pelosi
1:00 am Ted Kennedy PROPOSES A TOAST To Obama
1:30 am Ted Kennedy PROPOSES A TOAST To Hillary Clinton
1:35 am Bill Clinton asks Ted Kennedy to drive Hillary home

chunderroad on November 14, 2008 at 9:47 AM

I blame their parents, and whoever it was that said kids were mature enough to become involved in the political process.

Ryan Gandy on November 14, 2008 at 12:17 PM

It’s our fault. Conservatives let the liberals run the schools, and thereby, dictate the political discourse in the educational system. She who rocks the cradle, rules the world. The liberals understood that. The crux of the problem is that conservatives are not intellectually imperialistic. They don’t seek to create other conservatives. Liberals, on the other hand, know that the children are the future.

This is exactly why the election turned out the way it did. And needs to be kept at the top of all conservatives minds. A little propaganda bandwagon for conservatism would go along way. Having standards is cool.

nolapol on November 14, 2008 at 2:28 PM