Video: Palin for Senate?

posted at 11:55 am on November 12, 2008 by Allahpundit

A notable non-answer around three minutes in to Lauer asking if she’s interested in replacing Stevens when, inevitably, he’s expelled from the chamber: “I’m not planning on that.” Alaska law requires a special election within 60-90 days to fill a vacancy; her opponent presumably would be Mark Begich, who’s on the brink of losing to ol’ Ted. She’s allegedly lost a little love in the state since becoming McCain’s attack dog, but if Alaskans prefer a convicted felon to Begich, presumably they’ll prefer her too.

I was sour on the idea at first, but: (a) The old stigma about Senators running for president is dead, thanks to The One, so serving there would be no impediment to her 2012 ambitions. (b) As governor, she’ll be stuck focusing on energy issues for the next four years, which is fine but not enough of a portfolio to rehabilitate her image as a policy novice. If she goes to the Senate, she gets a full plate and all the media opportunities she could ever want to show off what she’s learned. (c) She’d be a big fish in a small pond among the GOP’s rump Senate minority. How big? Scroll down the current list and ask yourself how many qualify as “stars.” The closest you’ll get is … John McCain. (d) If you’re looking for job security, you can’t do better outside the judicial branch than Senator from Alaska. Stevens has held his seat for 40 years and the Murkowski family’s held the other for nearly 30. Even if nothing comes of her presidential dream, she’s set for life.

Exit question: What’d I miss? While you mull, here’s the transcript from part two of her interview with Greta (note her plans to call Hillary and kibbitz about the glass ceiling) and another 15 minutes of footage from the Anchorage Daily News. And with that, I think I’m officially ‘Cuda’d out.

Update: People are arguing in the comments that going to D.C. would spoil her “outsider” image. I think she’s bulletproof on that point thanks to the vivid impression she’s already made in the public mind: Moose hunter, hockey mom, folksy to the point of exasperation. Unless she changes her accent or gives up bagging caribou, she’s got plenty of outsider cred to spare. And plenty of pols have maintained their common touch while working in D.C. See, e.g., Thompson, Fred.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I can’t speak for her, but of it weren’t for the Smithsonian, I’d take living in Alaska over DC any day.

oddball on November 12, 2008 at 3:32 PM

The ‘Cuda apparently left the door wide open for a Senate run if the Stevens/Begich race goes to a special election in her interview with Blitzer.

No Sarah! Don’t do it! You’ll hate the Senate. Keep your outsider status. Run for re-election in 2010, and wait til 2016 to run for President.

meltenn on November 12, 2008 at 3:37 PM

its not going to happen. She has said numerous times she has no desire to be in the senate. Not gonna happen

ousoonerfan15 on November 12, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Sean Parnell would be the one running. She wants to concentrate on AK

ConservativePartyNow on November 12, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Funny how now the election is over the talking heads interviewing Governor Palin are actually trying to do reasonable interviews with her instead of really hardcore adversarial interviews with loaded questions designed to trip her up. To tell you the truth though Ill be interested to see how Sarah’s next interview with Couric goes, especially as she no longer being tightly controlled by campaign staffers.

Dreadnought223 on November 12, 2008 at 5:11 PM

I remember one jackass commenter saying that because she couldn’t list which papers it disqualified her from the role of V.P. And Joe Biden’s stellar credentials include what exactly? Super gaffetism?

The fact that she is a popular governor who actually takes on those who refuse to act like conservatives (unlike Obama who is stacking his cabinet deck with dye-in-the-wool liberals) never seemed to resonate with some people, i.e.., knee-jerk leftists who somehow get to post comments here.

Richard Romano on November 12, 2008 at 5:38 PM

For anybody keeping score, the ADN is following the ballot count going on today in Alaska.

meltenn on November 12, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Idontknow…

I’m not closed off to her running for senate. I think she’d do fine. Whats needed is keeping her in the eye of the public and Gov in Alaska just isnt enough. Too far out and removed from the rest of the country.
She might as well be a gov from denmark.

People will just lose site of her. Kinda like the great EYE OF SAURON!! AND WE’RE KEEPING OUR EYE ON THE RAGING BATTLES ALL AROUND…NOT PAYING ANY ATTENTION TO …..the little hobbit from alaska.

I don’t know..maybe thats a good thing. But shes in a big need of buffing up that portfolio. Especially since the ‘lil feller’ is going to be in the white house for four years.

Handel on November 12, 2008 at 6:51 PM

I, as an Alaskan voter I will vote for Palin if she choses to run. I think it would be a mistake for these reason, if she wins she will be one of 100 and the dems are the governing majority and will do everything they can to damage her politically. If she where to stay a Governor she can still gain valuable experience and only the press will do what they can to damage her, but since the press didn’t make her, they can’t do very much as long as we are willing to stick by her. I feel Sean Parnell would be a better replacement for Ted Stevens. Cuddy will do in a pinch but I don’t like his Libertarian (Ron Paul)tendancies.

lwssdd on November 12, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Begich has taken a three vote lead over Stevens in latest tally in Alaska. Still about 35,000 votes to count.

meltenn on November 12, 2008 at 8:22 PM

Geez…please don’t run for the Presidency Sarah….please.

This woman is THICK AS A BRICK. I spent thousands supporting McCain-Palin because I HATE OBAMA and every Liberal. He’s going to ruin this country and millions of babies will be slaughtered in cold blood on his watch. She may be a good Governor of a sparsely populated state and she can definitely deliver a great speech, but she’s not knowledgeable when it comes to World Affairs and she’s definitely not Reagan. Sarah stop throwing words like ‘also too’ and ‘also’ in the middle of every sentence, it bugs me to death. Arrrhh!! She reminds me of Miss South Carolina (from Teen USA 2007). A complete BIMBO!!

Newt, Romney or any other Conservative will do, but not Palin.

jacobnyc on November 12, 2008 at 10:31 PM

How about Michelle Malkin for President.

Newt-Malkin 2012

jacobnyc on November 12, 2008 at 10:32 PM

I’ve gone back and forth on this, but I think it would be better overall for Sarah to go to Washington. In addition to the reasons AP listed, there’s also the fact that her term as Governor ends in 2010. Would she run for re-election and then start her Presidential bid a year later? That would be kinda awkward. But if she didn’t run, she’d be labeled “a one-term Governor with no foreign policy experience”.

Go to the Senate, Sarah! Legislate like the wind!

Mr. Wednesday Night on November 13, 2008 at 7:07 AM