Surprise: Gun sales through the roof since election

posted at 9:00 pm on November 12, 2008 by Allahpundit

The LA Times piece is even more vivid than the clip. What’s the problem? Can’t a guy flip-flop egregiously on a watershed Second Amendment case in the middle of a campaign without people questioning whether he’s serious about gun rights?

At this rate, The One might end up being the best friend the NRA ever had. Exit question: Will the Rahm Emanuel Civil Defense Corps be lending a hand in gun “registration” enforcement, or will we be leaving that to the pros?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

After reading through all of the comments, and many of them are very good by the way, I had to come in and say that having owned a gun shop for 25 years (recently sold it and retired) (and being retired young IS all that it’s cracked up to be!) I have a lot of experience with all of the firearms that everyone is talking about here. The advice here about taking it slow and seeking training is sound. Also, there are many fine guns to choose from and for the first time buyer, it can be a little intimidating. If you have the resources in your area to go out and shoot a variety of guns first, that will take some of the edge off your decision making process.
Since selling my store I have started an online classifieds site and here is my shameless plug for the site and asking the HA members to help me get some legs under it. You can visit us here and I thank you for your support. I have seen this before during the Clinton years and sales for us at that time increased 15% to 20%. Good luck to all of you first time buyers and welcome to the sheepdog fold.

Viper on November 13, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Viper on November 13, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Just went in my favorites folder and I’ll pass it along to the rest of the neanderthal gun owners I associate with :)

Limerick on November 13, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Limerick on November 13, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Is that a reference that it’s so easy that even a caveman can do it?

& thanks for spreading the word!

Viper on November 13, 2008 at 7:12 PM

Thank you, Viper – I’m taking that advice and bookmarking your site as wello.

Venusian Visitor on November 13, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Nice site, Viper !
Sincere congrats on your retirement.
Ours just went down the tubes,
so we’re investing in firearms, now. ;-)

pambi on November 13, 2008 at 7:48 PM

Thanks Venusian & pambi.

Good luck getting your retirement back on track pambi.

And another thing that is fun about owning guns, besides enjoying them for their mechanical artistry in steel, you can always go out and enjoy them in our great outdoors!

And bring the kids with! Teaches them responsibility and character on many levels.

Viper on November 13, 2008 at 7:59 PM

If you are going to get a new gun (and have the cash) I would suggest the Patriot Ordnance Factory.

I REALLY want that P308. Even their 5.56mm is incredibly reliable, very very accurate and these guns actually dont need lube!

Why they arent even being considered for the sand box I dont know…Must but that the cost is too high.

SnakeintheGrass on November 13, 2008 at 8:31 PM

Any suggestions on how to strike a balance between creating a gun-friendly mentality in a growing child (I have a five year old) and dealing with what you just mentioned?

fireweednectar on November 12, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Move to Texas or Louisiana….

no seriously you need to explain to your child the concept of insiders and outsiders….the child MUST understand that your family’s toys are nobody’s business but your circle of insiders.

Screw the vulturecrats.

sven10077 on November 13, 2008 at 9:10 PM

I am imagining that after “the one” gets done and all us redneck meat eatin’ mofo’s get done exercising our 2nd amendment rights it is going to look alot like the movie “The Postman” w/little communities looking after their own and Ohbuttma’s group of eight looking for us to be conscripted into their gang. Creepy yet utterly facsinating to see how it all unfolds. Buy your reloading stuff now, it’s going to get hard to come by in the future and those with the bullets and firearms get to make the rules. Second the ar-15 choice, mine is a Bushmaster XM-15A2 pre-ban (ooh bayonet lug!)and if kept clean is totally reliable and hell accurate out to 800 yrd with 69gr sierra match rounds. Time to get ready for the storm!

GlocknRoll on November 13, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Okay, another question to throw up on the wall – who makes the better quality versions of the AR – 15?

kelly Tejera on November 13, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Colt…

Armilite is the original version… if you are lucky to find one.

upinak on November 13, 2008 at 10:46 PM

upinak on November 13, 2008 at 10:46 PM

Colt no longer sells to the public. Law Enforcement and military use only.

Limerick on November 13, 2008 at 11:05 PM

kelly Tejera on November 13, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Get a PTR-91. There are still a few left.

fossten on November 13, 2008 at 11:47 PM

What’s the consensus people?

AR-15 or AK-47?

kelly Tejera on November 13, 2008 at 12:28 PM

.308 is superior to both.

fossten on November 13, 2008 at 11:51 PM

Hey,

Can we at HotAir have a poll done of the best firearms in an apocalyptic post-election Obama world?

1) Ease of use (operation, cleaning and sighting)
2) Reliability
3) Accuracy
4) Magazine capacity
5) Comfort in use
6) Penetration
7) Common ammo type
8) Weight (maybe part of E of U)
9) Safety

Any suggestions? I would think it using a popular ammo type would be important.

Sapwolf on November 13, 2008 at 12:07 AM

Boston’s Gun Bible. Unparalleled.

fossten on November 13, 2008 at 11:53 PM

“Question to the gun knowledgeable:
Is there a benefit to buying a 9mm over a .45?
Mr Purple on November 13, 2008”
The .45 acp is an absolute man stopper, but is heavy and hard to control for some people.
The 9mm or 9×19 is way over rated; most police forces are now going for the newer .40 to split the difference.

Now there is a new gun with a new round that if the cops in the Hollywood shoot out had this gun it would have been over in 15 sec or less.

FN Five-seveN

For all practical purpose this gun has the same firepower as an M-16 / AR-15 within 100 yards.

Type: Double Action Only or Single Action (in Tactical model)
Chambering: 5.7x28mm SS190
Length: 208 mm
Barrel length : 122.5 mm
Weight: ca. 620 g with empty magazine; ca. 760 g loaded
Magazine: 20 rounds

Chambering: 5.7x28mm SS190 2130 fps
That’s not a misprint, this round is a shorten and NATO 5.7x 45mm (M 16 / AR-15 round)

The Five-seveN is advertised as being capable to penetrate standart PAGST vest at 300 meters and standart CRISAT (kevlar + titanium) vest at 100 meters.

DSchoen on November 14, 2008 at 12:06 AM

from the NBC clip.. about the price of the guns and how many they are selling..

Windfall profits tax?

DaveC on November 14, 2008 at 12:18 AM

fossten on November 13, 2008 at 11:51 PM.
308 is superior to both.

I will take the 270 win.. Very accurate, long range and it does not kick as hard.

Johan Klaus on November 14, 2008 at 12:43 AM

Johan Klaus on November 14, 2008 at 12:43 AM

Try 6.5*55 in a Swede…..

trajectory like a pencil, wonderful wound ballistics and properly sporterized very handy.

sven10077 on November 14, 2008 at 2:39 AM

Sapwolf

Try this site, look around you should find what ya looking for.

DSchoen on November 14, 2008 at 2:59 AM

“Hey,
I would think a good rifle in this enviroment would have the following characteristics:”

Ruger mini 14 .223 (5.7x 45mm)
or
mini 30 7.62×39 (AK Ammo)

Not the most accurate but good enough.
A simple enough action that it really doesn’t require much maintenance

DSchoen on November 14, 2008 at 3:12 AM

A simple enough action that it really doesn’t require much maintenance

DSchoen on November 14, 2008 at 3:12 AM

It is why I favor bolt actions, actually and oreferably former military bolt guns. You would have a hard time doing better than an AK mated to the 5.56 for a few reasons…..

1) the AK is well the AK see many apocryphal and not so apocryphal stories on its reliability

2) the 5.56 round will be easy to scavenge if need be…..

sven10077 on November 14, 2008 at 3:40 AM

Question for the gurus

My wife is petite, has never fired a weapon, and has recurring flare-ups of tendon irritation in her arms and hands. I would to arm her with something to cover the back door. Could anyone suggest something with very low recoil that is effective at 25 yards or so? Shotguns come to mind but I’ve never fired one.

If the Second Amendment were being taken seriously we would be allowed, after suitable training and instruction, to have Claymores!

Venusian Visitor on November 14, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Colt no longer sells to the public. Law Enforcement and military use only.

Limerick on November 13, 2008 at 11:05 PM

You are right…. but I DID say if you WERE lucky to find one. ;)

Venusian Visitor on November 14, 2008 at 10:45 AM

S&W Lady Smith Revolver. It is a .38.

I would do what I told another gentleman whom has never shot or held a gun. TAKE HER WITH YOU! Let her figure out what she likes. If she is as small as you say.. even a small hand gun won’t work sometimes. Also let her hold a 22 rifle, which won’t kill (unless she is deadly accurate) but can slow them down a heck of a lot. They make them for youth and womens models. And she can even get them in pink.

As a woman… I still hate the color pink.

Also there are small caliper handguns that do NOT have a cocking mechanism. So she can put them in her purse.

Also let he get some experience and practice or just to try one out. Find a indoor shooting range that lets you rent handguns and rifles. They CAN be expensive. But that is the best way for you both to grasp what she can and can’t use.

Hope that helps.

upinak on November 14, 2008 at 11:28 AM

That or a 6.5 Creedmoore. Do you know of any other company making uppers other than Alexander Arms for the Grendel?

xtremeangler on November 13, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Sabre Defence makes excellent Grendel uppers.

6.5 Creedmore is an awesome round, but you need an AR-10 lower if you want semi-auto; much bigger and heavier than a regular 5.56 AR.

pseudonominus on November 14, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Picked up a new Mossberg 500 police version (18.5″ barrel). Pretty sweet. Now time to use my lifetime membership at Front Sight and get some good training on it.

thomashton on November 14, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Going to get, not only my first gun, but the first in my immediate family.

danarchy on November 15, 2008 at 12:33 AM

I’m already pretty well stocked on the hardware. My fear is that he’ll tax ammo so far out of reach that it’ll be too expensive to shoot. Right now, ammo is my number one stock pile item. Not because of some silly revolution but because he’ll make it too damned expensive to shoot as soon as he gets a chance. You know, common sense gun control according to Obama. The problem is , common sense in whose opinion?

Big John on November 15, 2008 at 4:06 AM