Palin wolf-thinning project worked

posted at 8:35 am on November 12, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

During the campaign, some critics of Sarah Palin ridiculed her efforts to thin the wolf population by shooting them from helicopters, painting her as cruel and anti-nature.  The Anchorage Daily News reports that the caribou population might dispute that.  Thanks to the limitation of the predators, the survival rate of young caribou has dramatically increased:

Slaughtering wolves on the Alaska Peninsula appears to have had the desired effect — more caribou got a chance to live, according to biologists with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

As ugly and as politically incorrect as the wolf killing might seem to some, they said, the helicopter gunning that took place earlier this year saved caribou, especially young caribou, from being eaten alive.

Fall surveys of the Southern Alaska Peninsula caribou herd completed in October found an average of 39 calves per 100 cows. That’s a dramatic improvement from fall counts of only 1 calf per 100 cows in 2006 and 2007.

The state wildlife board needed to take dramatic action on behalf of the caribou in the southern herd.  The population had dropped from 6,000 to 500.  Wolves and bears had wiped out the offspring for too long, and left alone, the herd would have disappeared altogether.

Unfortunately, critics didn’t bother to find out why Palin’s administration thinned the wolf population by the most efficient manner available to them.  Critics of responsible wildlife management seem to live in Cartoon World, where the wolf and the bear and the caribou all become best friends and have adventures together with the plucky little kid from the local village.  In fact, the wolf and the bear will eat the caribou until there are none left, and would have the plucky little kid for dessert if they could.

The biggest irony, of course, is that the critics of drilling in ANWR like to invoke the caribou as a reason to block extraction of the vast oil resources in the region.  The wolves present a far greater danger to caribou than drilling ever did, but I guess caribou are only valuable as a means to block drilling.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You should post the Greta interview on moose hunting where she explains this to the northeastern liberals.

lodge on November 12, 2008 at 8:36 AM

Has someone who lost ever got as much coverage as Palin?

I’ve seen the future and it is Gov. Palin.

Angry Dumbo on November 12, 2008 at 8:41 AM

Liberals don’t so much like politicians who make decisions. They prefer “thinkers” and “philosopher” politicians who calmly contemplate all sides of the issues, but rarely get around to actually making tough decisions.

Maybe they just wanted Sarah to agonize over the wolf decision? Or maybe they thought someone more thoughtful could reason with the wolves to get them to stop eating the caribou.

myrenovations on November 12, 2008 at 8:41 AM

Has someone who lost ever got as much coverage as Palin?

I’ve seen the future and it is Gov. Palin.

Today is CNN day I believe. Wolf Blitzaaa and Larry King

lodge on November 12, 2008 at 8:42 AM

Wish she would get in a helicopter and shoot a bunch of hyenas coming out of the New York Times, Washington Post and MSLSD!
I of course am being sarcastic, I think

ReaganConservative3 on November 12, 2008 at 8:43 AM

we should treat the main stream media like the wolf and mabe the truth will survive

steviedfromnc on November 12, 2008 at 8:43 AM

Yeah, but when have facts ever mattered to the left? They’ve lied about everything for years.

darwin on November 12, 2008 at 8:43 AM

I of course am being sarcastic, I think

ReaganConservative3 on November 12, 2008 at 8:43 AM

Actually, the animal rights people were upset that she was giving rewards to wolf hunters. I suppose that could be extrapolated to hyena hunting too.

Phoenician on November 12, 2008 at 8:45 AM

Critics of responsible wildlife management All leftists seem to live in Cartoon World…

Fixed.

EnglishMike on November 12, 2008 at 8:49 AM

And once the caribou are wiped out, the wolves would starve to death. Given the choice, I’d rather be shot dead rather than slowly die from starvation.

And somehow it is ok for wolves to kill caribou (that’s part of nature!), but not for humans to kill wolves (that’s evil!) Methinks there’s an element of hatred of one’s own species going on amongst some homo sapiens.

rbj on November 12, 2008 at 8:51 AM

The deuce you say!! A Republican’s plan actually worked? That’s simply not allowed, is it?

I mean, who is the press gonna believe, baby caribou or their own lying narrative?

Meanwhile, I could use a nice wolf-fur coat.

Joan of Argghh on November 12, 2008 at 8:51 AM

This is one time I’d like to hear from Ted Nugent. Normally I don’t care what any celeb thinks, but on this topic he is an expert.

Tony737 on November 12, 2008 at 8:53 AM

I like Palan. I mainly voted for McCain because of her. However, I’m starting to groan each time I come to HotAir and see, yet again, another Palan story.

This is one of my favorite places to come and read in the morning and I would hate to go elsewhere because of the over coverage of Palan.

moonsbreath on November 12, 2008 at 8:53 AM

Rovin on November 12, 2008 at 8:53 AM

Christoph on November 12, 2008 at 8:47 AM

Can you PLEASE give it a rest?

Karen_VA on November 12, 2008 at 8:55 AM

Christoph on November 12, 2008 at 8:47 AM

Self-important blowhard.

Bishop on November 12, 2008 at 8:56 AM

The real trouble with the Green Peace/PETA crowd is that they have failed to recognize one glaring and incontrovertible fact: Man is the TOP of the food chain. There is a reason for this… We can use tools and make weapons. Sure it isn’t fair to our prey (it isn’t meant to be)… But I’m sure the caribou would say the same of the wolf’s agility, claws, and teeth. They seem to think that the only way that we should hunt is with our fists… as if getting you’re a$$ kicked by a deer is somehow more noble than eating it for dinner.

Passed on November 12, 2008 at 8:58 AM

As for the caribou, perhaps the lovely Governor should have allowed to the wolves and bears to wipe them out, thus eradicating the last stupid, liberal meme against ANWR drilling.

I know I know, the hystericals on the left would complain either way, I just like the idea of shoving it in their faces: “No caribou, lets drill!”

Bishop on November 12, 2008 at 8:59 AM

Well, it’s not like Obongo is doing anything except smile and wave. This is enough to get him a 70% approval rating, however

lodge on November 12, 2008 at 8:59 AM

I wonder, besides FOX News, if anyone else will be covering this. I mean they all are such bastions of objectivity.

**snort**

kingsjester on November 12, 2008 at 9:00 AM

Christoph on November 12, 2008 at 8:58 AM

Then send Ed an email and he can respond to you personally.

Unless you’re just looking for a forum in which to endlessly pontificate.

Bishop on November 12, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Christoph has been banned for trolling.

Ed Morrissey on November 12, 2008 at 9:01 AM

I believe George Bush has used this strategy effectivly worldwide to insure our survival rate. – Rovin

Damn right he did. The hunters became the hunted and the helpless became … spoiled brats who turned on their protector-in-chief and accused him of war crimes. How ironic.

Tony737 on November 12, 2008 at 9:01 AM

I stand with Karen and Bishop. If you have a problem with Ed, don’t blog here. If you do blog here, please stay on topic.

kingsjester on November 12, 2008 at 9:02 AM

THANK YOU ED !!!

kingsjester on November 12, 2008 at 9:02 AM

Christoph on November 12, 2008 at 8:58 AM

Shut the pie hole, you’ve obsessed over this subject too long and you are visiting HA not your own site. I’m sure I speak for many here by saying “you make my ass tired”.

thomasaur on November 12, 2008 at 9:03 AM

Christoph has been banned for trolling.

Ed Morrissey on November 12, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Ha, I think I hear angels.

Marine_Bio on November 12, 2008 at 9:04 AM

“No caribou, lets drill!” – Bishop

Haha! Awesome!

Tony737 on November 12, 2008 at 9:05 AM

critics of drilling in ANWR like to invoke the caribou as a reason to block extraction of the vast oil resources in the region. The wolves present a far greater danger to caribou than drilling ever did, but I guess caribou are only valuable as a means to block drilling.

Seems to me, thats the answer. No wolve culling. Let them eat the caribou till there’s none left. Let the wolves starve, and when nothing is left, we can drill all we want. Should be no objections.

MDWNJ on November 12, 2008 at 9:06 AM

Christoph on November 12, 2008 at 8:58 AM

Seconded

thomasaur on November 12, 2008 at 9:06 AM

I am just delusional to believe that the MSM knew they did Palin over bad, and they will make amends when she goes up for election again, but then I think back to how they loved McCain in 2000 and I am snapped back to reality.

WoosterOh on November 12, 2008 at 9:06 AM

Christoph has been banned for trolling.

Ed Morrissey on November 12, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Thank you!

Karen_VA on November 12, 2008 at 9:08 AM

Has someone who lost ever got as much coverage as Palin?

I’ve seen the future and it is Gov. Palin.

Angry Dumbo on November 12, 2008 at 8:41 AM

Lost, she was running for potus 2012 from the start..

the_nile on November 12, 2008 at 9:08 AM

The most merciful President-elect (PBUH) will show how wrong Republicans are in all things: Wolves are for Alaskan peasant women to thow their babies to. They are not to be used for any activity that makes guns useful.

Killing the wolves (even to protect caribou), and drilling for oil to kill caribou BOTH show how insensitive Republicans are. High gas prices are patriotic, which makes Republicans unpatriotic, too.

I hope that helps you understand the MSM template — and the will of the American people — on this matter.

Right_of_Attila on November 12, 2008 at 9:08 AM

The problem with groups like PETA is that they aren’t looking for proper treatment and care for animals.

Neither are they looking for “humane” treatment of animals.

The problem, put quite simply, is that they think animals are more important than humans.

Religious_Zealot on November 12, 2008 at 9:12 AM

On topic now that the insanity of christoph is gone, the longevity and stupidity on the left on this topic is remarkable.

Not only is culling an overpopulation of predators a wildlife management strategy that must be employed from time to time in any area, it is a decision that would have been handled exactly the same if there was a different Governor. When the Department of Natural Resources determined that this was needed, it is just a simple decision of trusting the state wildlife biologists.

The bottom line is that wildlife and fisheries management decisions are made all the time. The executive responsible for making the decision generally does not have the expertise to make the decision, thats why local and state governments hire biologists like me.

I need more coffee.

Marine_Bio on November 12, 2008 at 9:13 AM

rbj on November 12, 2008 at 8:51 AM

Maybe , when you want to be saving wolfs and killing babies.

the_nile on November 12, 2008 at 9:13 AM

yeah the Palin interview on Greta where she talks about this is interesting.

made it sound like they don’t import beef because of transportation cost, plus the steroids which is something leftist idiots should atleast understand.

so they all hunt moose and carribou, process it in the town and live off it through the winter.

jp on November 12, 2008 at 9:13 AM

Ya’ll need to see the movie “Never Cry Wolf” (1983)

It is a film adaption of the Farley Mowat autobiographical book of the same name.

The premise of the film is that the Arctic’s caribou population is rapidly dwindling, and wolves are being blamed, yet no one has seen a wolf kill a caribou. The authorities send Tyler (Charles Martin Smith) – a biologist and not a survival expert – into the wilderness to study the wolves.

Tyler and “George the Wolf” engage in a battle of wits and wills as he tries to study the animal and his habits. He grows to respect George and hopes that it is not the wolves killing off the caribou.

This movie was a favorite of my kids since they were young. It turns the argument on its head that wolves attack and eat caribou. If you can find the movie, watch it. I won’t give away the true punch line of the movie showing what the wolves really eat.

jcheney on November 12, 2008 at 9:18 AM

I sense a Palin shadow presidency forming. ha ha

Sugar Land on November 12, 2008 at 9:21 AM

I missed the trolling comment by Christoph, but the more trolls removed from the population, the better.

Can I hunt trolls from a helicopter?

Right_of_Attila on November 12, 2008 at 9:22 AM

Great article. It demonstrates the across-the-board ignorance of libtards.

Mojave Mark on November 12, 2008 at 9:24 AM

Liberals always think animals and terrorists deserve better treatment than humans, especially humans of a Conservative ilk. Let’s mobilize and fight these bastards every step

ReaganConservative3 on November 12, 2008 at 9:27 AM

Most liberals do not understand the concept of “wildlife management” because they are hypocrites who like to think that the hamburgers they eat are manufactured in labs rather than coming from killing animals.

I guess they like to pretend that it’s better for animals to live free even if they die from starvation.

katiejane on November 12, 2008 at 9:29 AM

Wow!

Dave Rywall on November 12, 2008 at 9:33 AM

Wildlife management DOES work. I remember in Missouri as a kid, there were times folks couldn’t get a deer tag. One antlered buck per household, things like that. A few years later, one could enter the lottery for an “any deer” tag, good for the last two days of the season.

I left the state for several years with the service, and was surprised coming back to stories of people getting several tags each. And in the suburbs on the Kansas side of KCMO they have tried to open up a bow season inside city limits on certain properties, because the deer are everywhere, and becoming a nusiance.

This comes from careful management of resources, predators, and hunting. And I guarantee you, responsible hunters and sportsmen care more about land and wildlife conservation than any pinheaded, cartoon-based, save-the-poor-animals-from-the-evil-humans PETA twerp ever has.

JamesLee on November 12, 2008 at 9:35 AM

I find it oxymoronic (notice the word moron) that they (libs/dims/socialist) are so gung ho on the theory of evolution yet they fail to recognize our place (at the top) of the food chain. If you follow their logic (there’s another oxymoron- lib/dim/socialist logic), man has evolved to become what he is today, yet everything they say, believe and do, is contrary to our survival. I truly believe that the conservative and lib/dim/socialist groups are another “branch” divergence of the evolutionary tree, and shortly, theirs is going to be cut off.

rayvet on November 12, 2008 at 9:35 AM

Can I hunt trolls from a helicopter?
Right_of_Attila on November 12, 2008 at 9:22 AM

Only with a permit.

I sell them out of my house, would you like one?

Bishop on November 12, 2008 at 9:37 AM

Rovin on November 12, 2008 at 8:53 AM

Bingo

thomasaur on November 12, 2008 at 9:37 AM

I’m just sitting here with a big bowl of popcorn, waiting for “Shelby”. ;)

Mr. Wednesday Night on November 12, 2008 at 9:43 AM

katiejane on November 12, 2008 at 9:29 AM

The only species the environmentalists wish to see managed is the human race.

thomasaur on November 12, 2008 at 9:45 AM

Can’t take credit for this, someone said it on another thread, or I heard it elsewhere recently but I spewed coffee all over when I heard it. It went something like:
“I didn’t claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat arugula.”

Chewy the Lab on November 12, 2008 at 9:47 AM

Maybe , when you want to be saving wolfs and killing babies.

the_nile on November 12, 2008 at 9:13 AM

+infinty

Religious_Zealot on November 12, 2008 at 9:47 AM

Today is CNN day I believe. Wolf Blitzaaa and Larry King

lodge on November 12, 2008 at 8:42 AM

Count on them to ask some idiot questions.

CP on November 12, 2008 at 9:50 AM

It’s a dog-eat-dog world. Or in this case, a wolf-eats-caribou world.

I think this will be a recurring theme of the next 4 years. Things Republicans got demonized for will be proven to be effective policies, while pie-in-the-sky liberalism will produce unintened consequences that make situations worse.

hawksruleva on November 12, 2008 at 9:52 AM

“I didn’t claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat arugula.”

I want this on my truck’s rear bumper.

whitetop on November 12, 2008 at 9:53 AM

the party of Death losses another exercise in logic. I think the cardinal got it right when he referred to the democratic party as the party of death. All their polices promote death. Be it abortion, environmental policies, assisted suicide, embroyonic stem cells, gun control bans, etc

I think the rep need to use the cardinals words and from here on out refer to the Dems as the Party of Death.

unseen on November 12, 2008 at 9:56 AM

I think one outreach that the rep party can do to increase its voters is to the catholic church. The two groups are very close on a number of issues. We are the party of life, the dems the party of Death.

We could even get the immigration battle on our side by attacking it as involuntry servidtude

unseen on November 12, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Today is CNN day I believe. Wolf Blitzaaa and Larry King

lodge on November 12, 2008 at 8:42 AM

Count on them to ask some idiot questions.

You can submit questions on Larry King’s site. There’s also a ‘did Palin hurt McCain’ poll.

Phoenician on November 12, 2008 at 10:00 AM

The biggest irony, of course, is that the critics of drilling in ANWR like to invoke the caribou as a reason to block extraction of the vast oil resources in the region. The wolves present a far greater danger to caribou than drilling

Being a liberal is like going through life wearing a hospital gown and constantly having your bare axe exposed.

whitetop on November 12, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Most people are completely ignorant about wildlife management, which is a necessary task for any modern society.

I didn’t realize that the herd they were dealing with in the sensationalist news stories was in what looks to be almost a closed system, a peninsula, which makes the need for management even more important.

Aerial hunting is controversial, but it beats the primary alternatives, trapping and poisoning, which are cheaper but non-selective.

juliesa on November 12, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Neither are they looking for “humane” treatment of animals.

Religious_Zealot on November 12, 2008 at 9:12 AM

Actually, I think humane treatment is inhumane, anyway. They want people, as well as animals, to be provided for through government programs, where we can “be free” to do whatever it is that the government says we can do. Only human infants are excluded from this policy.

hawksruleva on November 12, 2008 at 10:04 AM

I missed what Christoph said.. oh well..

anymore, you can set your clock to it.. post a Palin story and a troll appears..

DaveC on November 12, 2008 at 10:10 AM

juliesa on November 12, 2008 at 10:03 AM

BINGO.

I like to explain it in the simplest terms when I find someone who has no clue about this. (N(t)=N(0)+B+I-D-E) N(t) – number you have at some future time, N(0) – original number of animals, B – # births, I – # immigrations, D – # deaths, E – # emigrations.

If you’re going to manage a game species, you generally do not have much control over B, I, or E, so you must look at what you can do to reduce the D variable. The population impact is generally the target is the recruitment of young. (Survival from birth to becoming a reproductive adult) So, you can either do a captive rearing, like goes on with salmon for example to increase the number of young animals going into the reproductive adult population, or you can do something about the predators. Now in the case of wolves and other wild canines they do eat a large variety of small animals, however, when terrestrial predators do prey on larger animals, they target the weaker animals, the old and the young. There is the effect upon a population, and the selection is a far superior way to do it.

I find it impressive that the survivorship rose to 39 calves/100 females from 1 calf/100 females. It makes the case that this was very needed.

Marine_Bio on November 12, 2008 at 10:11 AM

juliesa on November 12, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Wolf control is for inner Alaska:

Phoenician on November 12, 2008 at 10:17 AM

I missed what Christoph said.. oh well..

DaveC on November 12, 2008 at 10:10 AM

If you are truly interested, you can read it all on the “Onset of ODS” thread from yesterday. Imagine the liquored-up guy on the corner with the “The End is Near” sign…

Karen_VA on November 12, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Karen_VA on November 12, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Exactly right!

Funny…

kingsjester on November 12, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Karen_VA on November 12, 2008 at 10:19 AM

I’ve read enough trolls and mobies that I can fill in the blanks.. :)

still.. when I see them pop up from time to time it’s fun to watch the ‘Whack’A’Troll’ game that picks up..

Palin is a moron, blah blah, see russian from her house, blah blah.. can’t chew gum and walk at the same time blah blah, worst thing since John McCain for the Republican party.. blah blah..

DaveC on November 12, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Hey Shelby! We thin out Harp seals for the same reason.

csdeven on November 12, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Shelby.. I enjoy the THUD sound when my Louisville Slugger hits a Harp Seal on the side of the head..

I leave the corpses behind..

Wait.. it troll baiting allowed on here? :)

DaveC on November 12, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Slaughtering wolves . . .

. . . especially young caribou, from being eaten alive.

Who the hell wrote this? What an idiot.

As a wildlife biologist I can tell you that predator control is a proven method for boosting prey species herd numbers. It is not slaughtering predators. They are shot. Period. They are not hacked apart in some sort of Freddy Krugeresque manner.

Young caribou from being eaten alive? WTF?!?!? So, Alaskan wolves must get off on chewing on a caribou’s leg and eating while the prey lays down and watches it happening all the while not able to do anything.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Sometimes the morons in the media really amaze me. Tip: You guys are in the “word business”. Choose your words well.

thomashton on November 12, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Thanks, Ed. That Christoph troll had gotten mighty tedious.

Gilda on November 12, 2008 at 10:38 AM

thomashton on November 12, 2008 at 10:36 AM

LOL

Thanks, that was a needed palate cleanser.

Marine_Bio on November 12, 2008 at 10:42 AM

. . especially young caribou, from being eaten alive.

thomashton on November 12, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Hehe.. thanks for that.. when I first read quote, I skimmed through the article and didn’t even pick up on that.

Eat the Caribou alive.. as oppose eating the meat after the animal has been killed..

What the reporter said, would that count as a liberal biased showing through? trying to dictate the narrative of the story by throwing in the ‘Eaten Alive‘ bit?

or reading too much into that?

DaveC on November 12, 2008 at 10:50 AM

or reading too much into that?

DaveC on November 12, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Could be, but my take was just trying to sensationalize what should have been a non-issue. We can’t just report a boring story, no it has to be exciting. As if a 39 fold improvement isn’t exciting! (Ok, that may just be to someone like me)

The sensationalization of all news is really the downfall of Journalism, regardless of being print or broadcast, as a profession.

Marine_Bio on November 12, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Very funny, Ed Morrissey! And (pro-Sarah) commenters are just as hilarious!
Sarah Palin, pro-life in words and deeds.
God have mercy on us.

atemely on November 12, 2008 at 10:58 AM

thomashton on November 12, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Ha! Gruesome fantasies of the deliberately ignorant disguised as news. It’s all like a movie to them, tethered as they are to their isolated office cubicles.

I’m struck by how often people who profess concern for animals have so little regard for genuine animals, choosing to view them not as they are but as some kind of narcissistic extension of themselves.

Gilda on November 12, 2008 at 10:59 AM

It would have been nice if our VP pick had SAID this reason rather than let it hang in the air. Turn the table on the wolf lovers and make them caribou haters. But I guess Palin didn’t have time to say that 10 second answer.

Speedwagon82 on November 12, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Very funny, Ed Morrissey! And (pro-Sarah) commenters are just as hilarious!
Sarah Palin, pro-life in words and deeds.
God have mercy on us.

atemely on November 12, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Something is missing…..a common thread to tie these thoughts together. What are you trying to say?

Marine_Bio on November 12, 2008 at 11:07 AM

A little off topic but curious: Does anybody know if ESPN has ever covered the Iron Dog competition in the past? I’m thinking that if not, it certainly will be covered this winter. And, BTW, how ’bout the RNC starts grooming Todd Palin to be the one to appear for our side on some of the cable shows when the debate over Card Check comes up? Bet as a card carrying union member he’d have the street creds to debunk this disaster in the making.

Chewy the Lab on November 12, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Speedwagon82 on November 12, 2008 at 11:06 AM

I don’t think that it would have made any difference. Even after all the examination of the details of her life, there were (or is it are, I don’t browse daily KOS) still idiots claiming that Bristol was Trigg’s mother.

In the face of that insanity, how much defense is required when some things are so obvious that they don’t even rise to the level of giving credence? (Like this topic.)

Marine_Bio on November 12, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Most states do good game management projects. Culling game animals and their predators is necessary to keep the strength / quality / ecological balance proper for all. Shooting excess wolves is better than poisoning them–other animals eat the poisoned carcasses and die. The game managers are competent and know what they are doing.

John Bibb

rocketman on November 12, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Marine_Bio on November 12, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Pay no attention to him. He’s equating the life of a wild predator with the life of an unborn child.

PETAs are PITAs.

Tennman on November 12, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Come on people, we have to do the same thing here in southern New Jersey

I personally do not hunt but if hunting was not allowed around here we would have deer EVERYWHERE … including in the roads all of the time

deer in the roads are a problem with the hunting … I can only imagine what it would be like without the hunting

joey24007 on November 12, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Tennman on November 12, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Oh, that’s just disgusting. That thought process is so foreign that I wasn’t even able to track what he was saying.

Marine_Bio on November 12, 2008 at 11:36 AM

When I read your headline, I thought you meant the wolves in the media and Washington. No such luck…just the real, overpopulated ones way up northwest.

Big John on November 12, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Very funny, Ed Morrissey! And (pro-Sarah) commenters are just as hilarious!
Sarah Palin, pro-life in words and deeds.
God have mercy on us.

atemely on November 12, 2008 at 10:58 AM

You are an idiot. How about you live in Alaska and walk a trail to go fishing or just hiking and then have a wolf pack stalk you. Ever had that happen to you? I have, and it is nerve racking. Shut up and go have coffee in your little sweat shop of horrors and then tell me about Alaska and who the idiots are!

upinak on November 12, 2008 at 11:48 AM

thomashton on November 12, 2008 at 10:36 AM

as a supposed wildlife biologist. I guess you have never seen wolves in action. Smart animals they are indeed.

They do eat the young and old ALIVE. If they are a well fed bunch of wolves, they will actually play with their “victims”, and bite and CHEW on the hind quarters of caribou as well as moose while the caribou and moose are RUNNING from them.

Get a grip and maybe learn something about Alaska and the wildlife here then the assumption of the lower 48 animals.

upinak on November 12, 2008 at 11:51 AM

I really am annoyed (even by the one biologist I know in here) who really don’t have a clue about Alaska and the wildlife. I don’t know many animals that go buy the “books” because that book is constantly changing.

That is great that you “learned” something, but even in the wild everything is a variable on life and living… in which you all learned in high school (I hope).

I voted twice AGAINST ariel hunting of wolves. Palin has ticked me off to no end on this issue. The trappers should have been given a fair shake and trapped them (not poisoned) and sell the hide at fair market value. The biologists that shot them from the air, well they left the dead wolves. This is one of the few things that the Alaska Fish and Wildlife Dept screwed up on… and keep screwing up on.

upinak on November 12, 2008 at 11:57 AM

I liked what she said about hunting and keeping wildlife in balance. As long as people eat what they legally shoot it looks very workable to me. You can see where the mismanagement has screwed things up in other states. Looks like Alaska has a more viable plan.

DL13 on November 12, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Chewy the Lab on November 12, 2008 at 11:10 AM

I believe that is on ESPN 8, the ‘Ochoa’..

DaveC on November 12, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Can I hunt trolls from a helicopter?

Yes, but they regenerate 1d8 hit points per round

/D&D geekery.

irishspy on November 12, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Ya’ll need to see the movie “Never Cry Wolf” (1983)

jcheney on November 12, 2008 at 9:18 AM

I actually met Farley Mowat in the bar at the Yellowknife Inn, NWT in the spring of 1968. I also met his bartender, who told me just how much time Farley spent in the bar, writing Never Cry Wolf. Long story, but the short is, do not believe everything you see written, and even less you see adapted by Hollywood for a movie.

Funny thing about wolves never eating caribou. I have seen it with my own eyes, from the air, and from a snowmobile. I have seen wolf packs surround, kill and eat caribou numerous times.

They also say wolves will not stalk and take human prey. I have experiences that suggest they would, if they get the chance.

On the tundra, especially during winter, anything warm-blooded in potential food for something else.

Yoop on November 12, 2008 at 12:05 PM

upinak on November 12, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Is there a fair market value for wolf pelts? I thought that PETA had scored their one and only “victory” in the fur trade being almost extinguished.

I can understand why you would be angry about the wolves being just left in place, but there is a reason it wasn’t left to the traps. If the outcome had been to have the animals shot from the air and the pelts collected, would that have been less angering? Or does that mess up the pelt? I have no idea.

Marine_Bio on November 12, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Killing predators to save prey is nothing new, and is just plain common sense! Ever since the invention of guns, shepherds have been shooting wolves on sight–it’s good for the sheep!

This is not only done on the great northern frontier of Alaska. Ever since the Sierra club lobbied Congress to protect predatory animals, they have been making a major comeback in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. As they started multiplying and running out of prey up there, apparently Al Gore forgot to tell them about Global Warming, so they’ve been migrating SOUTH seeking hunting ground with more frequent winter thaws where prey animals sometimes venture out of their holes in winter seeking food. There have been recent sightings of coyotes and bobcats in New Haven and Bridgeport (on the coast of the Long Island Sound!) and a family of bears in a playground in a Hartford suburb. Happy hunting down here–we’ve got squirrels out the wazoo despite thousands of them flattened with Goodyear written on their backs, and wild turkeys struttin’ their stuff in the streets, when they’re not in the State Legislature.

You know, those cute little Baby Bears and their protective Momma Bear might be a threat to dear little socialist Goldilocks in deep-blue Connecticut, so what does the State Government do? They shoot the bears with tranquilizer darts and truck them up the mountain ten miles away, open the cage door and get the h#!! out of Dodge. Just like Sarah Palin would do! You betcha!

Steve Z on November 12, 2008 at 12:06 PM