Audio: The obligatory “Rahm Emanuel talks about compulsory civil defense service” clip

posted at 3:54 pm on November 12, 2008 by Allahpundit

We already knew this, but it’s one thing to know it and another thing to hear it. I hope he presses Obama to implement it, as the weeks of fun we’ll have with “Imagine if Bush had proposed this” scenarios will amount to a new golden age for the right-wing blogosphere. Promise me this, Rahm: Not just barracks but uniforms, too.

Exit question: They don’t have enough Obama cultists willing, able, and sufficiently underemployed to volunteer? On second thought, that’d be an exceedingly bad idea, wouldn’t it?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

“It will be a common experience.”

American Heritage Dictionary
com·mu·nism (kŏm’yə-nĭz’əm) Pronunciation Key
n.
A theoretical economic system characterized by the collective ownership of property and by the organization of labor for the common advantage of all members.(Mandatory Civil Defense Plan)
Communism
A system of government in which the state plans and controls the economy(bailout) and a single, often authoritarian party holds power(Democratic party controling all three branches of government), claiming to make progress toward a higher social order (change)in which all goods are equally shared by the people(redistribution).
The Marxist-Leninist version of Communist doctrine that advocates the overthrow of capitalism by the revolution of the proletariat.

American Psychological Association (APA):
communism. (n.d.). The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Retrieved November 12, 2008, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/communism

Emphasized italics from my previous comment are mine.

I added the Mandatory Civil Defense Plan at the top.

shick on November 12, 2008 at 11:19 PM

I am telling you right now, my children will go nowhere against my will or theirs.

Yes, it is scary stuff, but I am not scared. I said what I mean and I mean what I say.

I said this the other night and I’ll say it again. How many of you are ready to protest? How many are ready, willing and able to fly to DC to protest? We can sit here at our computers and get mad, sad, and scared or we can GET UP AND DO SOMETHING!!!

Once upon a time wasn’t there a group of people who said “NEVER AGAIN?”

Oink on November 12, 2008 at 11:22 PM

Dudes and dudettes, I still think it’s quite possible that the economic collapse we are now experiencing was planned on purpose by those who sunk it.

We now have an idea of Obama’s ideological ideological influences. What about those he’ll put in power? Rahm Emanuel is speaking pure communism. Who influenced him and the others?

shick on November 12, 2008 at 11:23 PM

I am as sure of that as I am that my kids are going nowhere against my will or against their own.

The economy sank because we’re winning in Iraq. It was quickly becoming a success story for the GOP. The house of cards was kicked over by Chuck Schumer when he made the comment about the IndyMac bank (California) and then there was a run on it. THAT started it right on cue. What have they done to the WORLD?

I REPEAT, I REPEAT, I REPEAT… my kids ain’t goin’ nowhere. I’m going to think about that all night.

We’ve got guns in the house, but I’m sending the husband out for more tomorrow.

Oink on November 12, 2008 at 11:39 PM

We’ve got guns in the house, but I’m sending the husband out for more tomorrow.

Oink on November 12, 2008 at 11:39 PM

I might purchase my first firearm in the near future. It might be a good idea for me to do so before congress prevents me.

For now I’ll cling to my religion.

-SDG

shick on November 12, 2008 at 11:51 PM

shick on November 12, 2008 at 11:51 PM

There’s nothing wrong with a good hunting rifle or shotgun.

Oink on November 12, 2008 at 11:56 PM

shick on November 12, 2008 at 11:23 PM
Oink on November 12, 2008 at 11:39 PM

Did you see this long but superb article on the mechanics of how this happened?

It is, unfortunately, only about Wall Street’s end of the situation; Just barely brushes by the political aspect. But someone has to be able to connect the dots to Dodd, Franks, Obama, Gorelick, Rains etc.
How the crisis really started

LegendHasIt on November 12, 2008 at 11:58 PM

There’s nothing wrong with a good hunting rifle or shotgun.

Oink on November 12, 2008 at 11:56 PM

Agree.

shick on November 13, 2008 at 12:03 AM

I better be calm writing this. That sick SOB can kiss my er um backside. If I could afford to fly to Washington I would. I will be writing my Reps. I will call them all tomorrow for this matter. And the matter that they want to do a open investigation on Bush. They need to keep focused on that Bail Out that they did to us. Damn them all! Those sick a** DemocRATS! Well a few of them are good. This is sick crap! Just sick! This is a brain washing is what it is.

sheebe on November 13, 2008 at 12:30 AM

This mandatory service scares the hell out of me. There is nothing good that can come from it.

1. They are portraying this is ‘homeland defense’ BOVINE EXCREMENT. If you want homeland defense, boost the Coast Guard Auxiliary and Civil Air Patrol. This is NOT about Homeland defense.

2. There were models in past history on this. The Red GUard, Hitler youth and the system in the People’s Paradise of Cuba where your kids are separated from you for the purpose of indoctrination.

3. Here is my real paranoid hat… My kid went to a Quaker school (Quakers are FLAMING liberals). He was harrassed by the faculty and some of the students. I have some reason to believe that it was because only he and one other kid in his grade were conservative. Imagine if your kid is conservative and gets shipped off for three months with some gang bangers on the other side of the continent. The Quakers did NOTHING to stop the harrasment of our kid and they have to pretend to be Christian and concerned about students. Imagine when that pretense is dropped.

4. What the hell is the curriculum for 3 months of training?? I was qualified as an OPERATOR for the CG Aux and THAT didn’t take three freaking months. My Dad was a Coxsain and even that didn’t quite take 3 months solid to get.. Why in the hell do they need 3 months of training.??

Yes Komrades, send your young ones to our Young Octobrists. We will educate them in the glories of Marxism. We are sorry if some of them (who are not accepting the brianwashing ) accidentally fall out the tenth floor window or end up falling into the combine. Such it the price of socialist progress. We hope you are studying your ideology as your children will quiz you and report to their local commisar.

bullseye on November 13, 2008 at 12:43 AM

How the crisis really started

LegendHasIt on November 12, 2008 at 11:58 PM

It took me awhile but it was worth it. Even though I understood half of it.

My summary: Greed and deception were greatly responsible for sinking the economy.

shick on November 13, 2008 at 12:45 AM

shick on November 13, 2008 at 12:45 AM

Don’t feel too bad… I only actually understood about 2/3 of it myself.

But the really horrible thing is that the ‘bailout’ is not fixing it; it is essentially REPEATING it, giving even larger sums of money to the guys that are to blame in the first place. They are all a bunch of Orrin Boyles and Kip Chalmers

LegendHasIt on November 13, 2008 at 1:03 AM

LegendHasIt on November 13, 2008 at 1:03 AM

I understand that much of this problem we are in. The irresponsible ones deserve to fail and not be rewarded to continue. And what about the responsible banks and business guys? No free taxpayer dollars for them. If they wanted to boost the economy with our taxpayer dollars they could have let the corrupt ones fall on their faces and give the money to the responsible ones.

I just came up with that. I don’t actually encourage it but it would probably be better than giving the money to those who will squander it away again.

shick on November 13, 2008 at 1:17 AM

“if your worried about having to do 15 jumping jacks, the answer is yes

/holy crap, this dude is deadly serious …

Buckaroo on November 13, 2008 at 1:41 AM

I’m sending this to everyone I know, under the tagline “Barracks for Barack.” Particularly those in the age bracket mentioned.

shick: Never forget that the brain is a far more dangerous weapon than any bomb or gun. I suggest that if we get to such a point where we think we need to be so well armed, it would behoove us to know everything we can about guns – not just how to service and clean our own pieces, but it would also probably be wise to know how to make such pieces. From as close to “scratch” as possible.

Something to consider.

Blacksmith on November 13, 2008 at 2:03 AM

Something to consider.

Blacksmith on November 13, 2008 at 2:03 AM

Dude! You don’t know who you’re talking to. I can’t make toast without burning it and you suggest I make a weapon that uses small controlled explosions to propel bullets? I appreciate your confidence in me.

Excerpt from, Confessions from a sheltered life.

shick on November 13, 2008 at 2:21 AM

Does anyone have some spare change? I think we are going to need it.

0321_GUY on November 13, 2008 at 8:36 AM

Just to clarify, is this the interview from 2 years ago and the question is discussing the proposal based on a book?

JDScott on November 13, 2008 at 8:44 AM

For now I’ll cling to my religion.

-SDG

shick on November 12, 2008 at 11:51 PM

Were I you, I would purchase said piece VERY soon. Your right to bear such objects will be taken away in the near future.

On that note, you and I are both clinging to religion.

leetpriest on November 13, 2008 at 8:51 AM

Ok let me get this straight. The democrats constantly attack republicans for ‘fear mongering’ about another terrorist attack, but now they want to reinstitute the draft…so we’ll be prepared for a chemical terrorist attack?

Keli on November 13, 2008 at 8:53 AM

This is beyond creepy. I vaguely remember someone trying something like this over in Europe a while back. This sounds so much like that but for the life of me I cant remember the guys name who tried it.

Aurvant on November 13, 2008 at 9:13 AM

I would love to see the little Ivy League educated, newly shorn liberal, community organizer type trying to lead this rabble.

Will turn them conservative in a day. Or clinically insane.

Either one is better than them being a lefty.

NoDonkey on November 13, 2008 at 9:56 AM

Has anyone seen the video or read the book The Wave about that Nazi-esque classroom experiment in Palo Alto in 1969? People may laugh now, but when millions of people are wearing the symbol and giving the salute, we’ll see who laughs then.

m064404 on November 13, 2008 at 10:04 AM

and giving the salute, we’ll see who laughs then.

The salute’s already been developed.

Matticus Finch on November 13, 2008 at 10:10 AM

It sounds like an idea that will get shelved since there are more pressing and politically difficult issues.

One aspect that made the Greatest Generation great was the shared sacrifice and the common experience of serving the country in some capacity during WWII. Most would agree that the successive generations in the U.S. have become more self-centered. Perhaps some type of shared participation in making the country better would help.

dedalus on November 13, 2008 at 10:13 AM

I’m probably unusual among conservatives in that I support Universal Military Training.

I think all young men after graduating highschool ought to go through Basic Training, and then some limited training in different needed roles in the military. Pacifists can be trained in non-combatant roles.

The reason I believe in this is because it means all young men will get some training with firearms, and the concept of the citizen militia will at least have some level of actuality. I believe that a nation in which the citizenry is armed, and trained in how to fight is far less likely to ever be successfully oppressed, not only by foreign enemies, but this also protects against an oppressive government.

Furthermore, I think it would be a good thing for the recruiting rates of the active military, and would help civilians relate to the military.

However, I am not comfortable with the Obama proposal. First of all the phrase “common experience” is commonly used in education circles as code for liberal indoctrination.

Secondly, there has been no talk about the fact that Obama’s plan intends to include women. No doubt they intend unisex barracks. This strikes me as likely another attempt at breaking down societies standards of modesty and chastity.

Finally, the idea being discussed is very vague. I have a big problem with forming a para-military organization that is vague about what it’s mission is, who will be required to join, and who will be running it.

I on the other hand am quite upfront about what I want:

I want young men trained in how to shoot guns, kill people, and blow things up. Because I think it valuable to have those skills widely distributed among American citizens.

Sackett on November 13, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Sackett on November 13, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Having served in the military, I agree with you that military service is good for young people.

However, it has to be a choice of their own to make. That’s what makes it special, and Constitutional.

cryptojunkie on November 13, 2008 at 11:32 AM

I on the other hand am quite upfront about what I want:

Sackett on November 13, 2008 at 10:35 AM

I can get behind that.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on November 13, 2008 at 11:35 AM

That’s what makes it special, and Constitutional.

Corrected.

cryptojunkie on November 13, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Ill take care of my own civil defence, thank you very much. I just bought another 1500 rounds and I can decide for myself who is a threat to my family’s security.

raybojabo on November 13, 2008 at 12:16 PM

“Obama’s gonna change it, and rearrange it, Obama’s gonna change the world” (Like it or not)

RobCon on November 13, 2008 at 12:25 PM

This is awesome! Hey, how old is Will.I.AM?

BTW, is this for females as well as males?

gxpgxp on November 13, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Been reading Thomas Sowell lately. There is a great 5 part series on NRO with Sowell discussing his idea of the constrained vs the unconstrained view. Given that mankind is flawed, the constrained view says we need institutions to deal with these flaws and do the best we can. The unconstrained view says we need to ‘remake the world’ in order to deal with the problems.

So let’s put you in a boot camp, change your ways and the world will be a better place to live in.

neal7 on November 13, 2008 at 12:56 PM

As an Agent Provocateur I say GREAT!.
lets all hold hands and sing songs.
let the unwashed masses get what they want in the here and now, lets work to get the right people in , in 2012.

ColdWarrior57 on November 13, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Sackett on November 13, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Makes me think of the shower scene in starship troopers. Are you a citizen or a civilian?

raybojabo on November 13, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Sackett on November 13, 2008 at 10:35 AM

raybojabo on November 13, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Good call, My kid asked the same q. ( he is in the navy btw).
1984, 24 years later !

ColdWarrior57 on November 13, 2008 at 4:00 PM

m064404 on November 13, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Sure. My Dad was teaching high school at the same school, Cubberley High School when that all went down. My Dad knew the teacher but did not hang out with him much. Lotsa fruitcakes out there, but it sort of illustrated the madness that we are now seeing with Obama.

Sapwolf on November 13, 2008 at 4:21 PM

I remember one time my Dad told me a story from his Cubberley teaching days before it closed and he moved to Gunn.

There was this white girl who was shall I say very open with dating the black guys and maybe flaunting it a little too much. He said she was brutally attacked in the girls bathroom by a few black girls.

Hmmm…lefist spoiled rich girl screwing black guys getting beat up by future welfare suckers….:

A LIBERAL DILEMMA!!!

Sapwolf on November 13, 2008 at 4:25 PM

neal7 on November 13, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Hey, he’s at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University in … you guessed it…Palo Alto, CA.

My Dad and Thomas were the only two people in the whole town with any common sense.

Sapwolf on November 13, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I thought he was talking about the Peace Corps

Renae on November 13, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Renae on November 13, 2008 at 5:21 PM

There was another article here about it, give me a second…

There ya go.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on November 13, 2008 at 5:55 PM

If you don’t want to read through the 60+ comments there… you’re linking FactCheck, which is ironically not very factual and sickeningly pro-Obama.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on November 13, 2008 at 5:56 PM

Personally, if I could get 3 months on a huge Naval carrier, working my butt off, that would be a great experience and give me an idea of what it’s like to serve and protect my country. I’m too old to enlist now, and I don’t think this is exactly what 0bama has in mind though, so f*** it. NO WAY. And no way are my kids getting indoctorinated.

4shoes on November 13, 2008 at 10:18 PM