The onset of ODS

posted at 10:50 am on November 11, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

For the past seven-plus years, the Left has suffered from Bush Derangement Syndrome.  Well, actually, the rest of us have suffered from their embrace of BDS, which one might think would inoculate us from any related maladies.  As Jake Tapper notes, though, the onset of Obama Derangement Syndrome might prove that wrong:

We all remember “Bush derangement syndrome” — defined by Charles Krauthammer as “the acute onset of paranoia in otherwise normal people in reaction to the policies, the presidency — nay — the very existence of George W. Bush.”

We already need a name for the reverse disorder.

Rep. Paul Broun, R-Georgia, recently said that he fears President-elect Obama may create a security force akin to the Gestapo to impose a Marxist dictatorship.

“It may sound a bit crazy and off base, but the thing is, he’s the one who proposed this national security force,” Broun told The Associated Press. “I’m just trying to bring attention to the fact that we may – may not, I hope not – but we may have a problem with that type of philosophy of radical socialism or Marxism.”

Broun refers to this portion of a speech Obama gave in July in Colorado. The media dropped two sentences from its reporting of the speech, which set off critics when World Net Daily reported it:

At the time, Obama’s supporters claimed that he meant the Peace Corps and other volunteer organizations. That seems a stretch, but so does Broun’s interpretation of it. As I wrote at the time, the nation already has a number of non-military national security forces, including the FBI, ICE, Border Patrol, and so on. If we want to fund that better, many conservatives would agree, but not funding it to the same extent as the military. In the context of Obama’s remarks above, though, he fairly clearly meant to at least include a volunteer force in outreach within and outside the US as some sort of Department of Peace-like indirect boost to national security.

Nothing in that speech hints at a Gestapo-like organization at all. I’d agree that we have to remain vigilant at all times to ensure that the government doesn’t try to impose such a regime upon us, but this is an extremely thin reed to grasp for such a conclusion. Although I supported a freer hand at the NSA in monitoring communications with one end in the US for possible terrorist activities given the dangers we face in this era, it’s far easier for the government to turn that into a Gestapo than what Obama proposed.  That’s why I understood the Left’s opposition to it (as well as a small minority of conservatives) and thought reasonable safeguards against potential abuse were appropriate, as the eventual compromise in Congress provided.

If we plan to offer a rational alternative to the coming debacle of the next two years, then we’d better stick to facts and eschew hyperbole.  We need to oppose the reality of the radical agenda proposed by Obama and the Democratic majorities in Congress, not fantasies spun out of context-free snippets of speeches.  The more critics invoke Hitler and Stalin instead of Jimmy Carter and Lyndon Johnson, the better the reality of Obama, Reid, and Pelosi will seem in 2010.

Addendum: Also, can we please get rid of this canard?

“We can’t be lulled into complacency,” Broun said. “You have to remember that Adolf Hitler was elected in a democratic Germany. I’m not comparing him to Adolf Hitler. What I’m saying is there is the potential.”

No, he wasn’t.  Hitler was never elected to any office.  He became Chancellor because of a deal struck between political factions warring with each other in the twilight of Weimar Germany, appointed to the position by President von Hindenburg.  The Nazis never even won a majority in the Reichstag, and in fact lost seats in the last free elections before Hitler became Chancellor.  Unlike in most parliamentary systems, the executive in Germany did not need to hold a seat in the Reichstag.  The Weimar system never had the support of the German people, and the reversion to strong-man rule was almost inevitable.

And unlike Germany, we will get free elections in two years.  If we want to win majorities back, we’ll need to stop invoking Nazis at every turn.

Update: I’m going to add this here rather than reposting it every 50 comments or so in the thread.  Nothing in this post says we should refrain from criticizing Obama.  I’m just arguing that we have to stick to the facts rather than screeching historically inaccurate references to Nazis every time we disagree with Obama.  No one will have any credibility left if we all give into the impulse to act like the Kos Kiddies for the next two years.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 9

I would also point out that in the weeks surrounding the election, firearms sales have skyrocketed, as have ammunition sales.

Tyrants like Hitler and Stalin came to power in disarmed nations. We are quite the opposite. Until national registries and subsequent confiscations begin, get some perspective. This nation is free for many reasons, but one stands out among all.

MadisonConservative on November 11, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Don’t fall for this ODS meme, Ed.

It’s just deflection from the past 8 years of real BDS (which bush hatred at anything, even the man’s very existence).

Falling for this ODS bullcrap is just a way of deflecting criticism on legitimate policy issues.

lorien1973 on November 11, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Yeah! He’s not Hitler…He’s Stalin! Jeeze folks get it straight.

ronsfi on November 11, 2008 at 10:56 AM

BSB: Brown Shirt Brigade?
BSB: Barry’s Subserviant Brainless?

VibrioCocci on November 11, 2008 at 10:56 AM

just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded.

Right.

Nukes, tanks and B2 bombers.

Ed, that’s as clear as it can be.

drjohn on November 11, 2008 at 10:56 AM

As others have already suggested, I say we invoke Godwin’s Law on Obama’s presidency.

zerosheep on November 11, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Wizard of ODS…

ronsfi on November 11, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Ed, I have to agree with you. I personally do not want to be a rabid Obama hater.

(Though I could be talked into it – I kid, I kid…)

He is our president, duly elected. By the grace of God, he will preside over out nation.

I pray he does not lead us into ruin.

I will watch carefully though, but hey, I planned on watching McCain carefully too – I just was not as nervous about McCain as I am Obama.
I will put away any concerns about the whole Hilterian-fascist thing though, when they stop talking about things that smack of fascism.

Nazis are a slightly different animal. Usually, it is the Left that evokes that.

Let’s just concentrate on our liberties and leave the derangement to them – they have it down!

kybowexar on November 11, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Good point.
Still, its nagging. If its not worrisome, its ridiculous. I think the real problem was the “just as powerful.” What kind of power?

Count to 10 on November 11, 2008 at 10:58 AM

“Nothing in that speech hints at a Gestapo-like organization at all.” – Ed

Yeah, sounds more like STASI philosophy to me.

Al-Ozarka on November 11, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Is Chamberlain asking for brown shirts?

grapeknutz on November 11, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Yeah the right’srhetoric has been superheated. We discredit ourselves by stating this stupid comments.

Attack Obama on his foreign policy, Attack Obama on his economic policies. But drop the hyperbole and insane prattle.

Obama isnt the anti christ just a poor misguided democrat who has no clue on how to govern. We have to push him towards the center and that means we dont discredit ourselves so that Obama cant ignore us.

William Amos on November 11, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Thank you, Ed. I’m not an Obama lover of any sort, but some of the paranoid hysteria I’m hearing from our side is just absurd. I’m sure he’ll be a lousy leftist President, and he has the potential to do a lot of damage in a short period of time, but he will also be the instrument of his own undoing because I believe that once his policies are fully implemented, Americans will discover what real pain is, and they won’t sit still for it. Until that time…. keep your money in your mattress.

Happy Veterans Day, and God bless America.

CantCureStupid on November 11, 2008 at 10:59 AM

It’s inevitable. Every time we lose an election, the nutjobs crawl out from under their rocks and scream at the tops of their lungs. Vince Foster was murdered! Evil UN black helicopters are coming to take us away! Pan-American state!

rightwingprof on November 11, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Obama Presidency =

gumble on November 11, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Word.

lodge on November 11, 2008 at 11:00 AM

I definitely respect what you’re saying, Ed, and while I think invoking Nazis as a viable comparison is a bit of a stretch, Obama has made many statements, and even proposals (before his website was wiped clean), that are cause for concern.

The thing about Obama is that things sound good and harmless — a perfect example is required community service — but upon closer inspection are worrisome. Community service is a good, positive way that people can give back to their communities, and I participate as much as possible; however, making it mandatory is wrong, IMHO. But, Obama couches dictator-like rulings in seemingly good things, and I think that sometimes creates a link to early Nazism.

With BDS people created theories about what they thought happened and what they envisioned Bush might have done or said, but with Obama, people are merely at odds interpreting what he has done and said. Key different, IMO.

haikusrock on November 11, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Yeah! He’s not Hitler…He’s Stalin! Jeeze folks get it straight.

ronsfi on November 11, 2008 at 10:56 AM

That was funny – sad, horrific, and probably closer to the truth than we’d like – but funny nonetheless.

I have said that the only color that I don’t like about the guy is his penchant for Soviet Red in his thinking.

Otherwise, may he govern with wisdom and a certain respect for folks who do watch their Constitution closely and take being Americans seriously.

kybowexar on November 11, 2008 at 11:01 AM

BHO just leaked details of his private conversation with Bush:
and Bush is angry.

jgapinoy on November 11, 2008 at 11:01 AM

No kidding. Who was it who said “in the future, everyone will be Hitler for 15 minutes?”

Looks like that’s coming true.

Gilda on November 11, 2008 at 11:01 AM

It’s easy to keep yourself in check if you remember the left was equally sincere in their belief that Bush was never going to leave office.

MayBee on November 11, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Ed, I disagree that we’ll ever have free elections again. The Democrat party will fund voter fraud through the federal government. Now that the Chicago machine has gone nationwide, there’s no putting it back in the bottle.

ODS is different than BDS in one important respect. ODS is based on Obama’s actual promises. It’s only when Obama breaks his actual promises that the media will say, “See? Obama’s not doing what they said he would.”

JohnJ on November 11, 2008 at 11:02 AM

different = difference

haikusrock on November 11, 2008 at 11:03 AM

philosophically he’s aligned with Fascist. See “Liberal Fascism” by goldberg, there really are alot of similarities and Obama has indicated desire for Mandatory Civilian forces.

its ‘soft’ fascism, if we want to accurately describe what they really beleive in. Has nothing to do with an actual holocaust or anything.

I don’t think Obama will go the hard facsist route, however Putin may temp him to. Who knows what happens the next 4 years internationally.

jp on November 11, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Part of me thinks that eight years of irrational hatred seems to have worked for the liberals, why not us?

But then I remember—liberals had to go make stuff up. Obama really is a no-talent dummy, and the material will write itself. I can be just as calm as I like (though I am contemplating wearing black on Jan 20).

Sekhmet on November 11, 2008 at 11:03 AM

We have alot more to fear from Obama than Dubya. ‘Mark my words.’

Christine on November 11, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Perhaps a semi permanent post could be set up at the very bottom of the page for such sufferers to verbalize such views. Call it the Pest Tent or the Whine Cellar.

BL@KBIRD on November 11, 2008 at 11:04 AM

It might be more appropriate to compare him to Gandhi. Not the “sainted holy man” Gandhi, I mean the real, erratic belligerent-turned-suicidally pacifist narcissist Gandhi that set his own country back decades.

Count to 10 on November 11, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Found in one of the comments over there:

The election is over, there is a new commander in chief and this is a land of INSTITUTIONS, not PEOPLE.

Obama administration going make people feel very depersonalized. That’s the same path the Country Club/Big Government Republicans were on. But the rotten economy with Obama at the helm is going to put this on the fast track. We will have a chance to prove that institutions fail, and the answer is to put our faith back in the American people.

RushBaby on November 11, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Slightly OT: Anyone noticed that Change.gov has completely removed all specifics under its agenda tab? They had addressed every issue, domestic and foreign, and now, all that is left is a couple of paragraphs after rapid editing of section after section.

It’s certainly living up to its domain name.

MadisonConservative on November 11, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Ed, get the history straight. Hitler was not directly elected Chancellor of Weimar Germany because they had a parliamentary system. The NSDAP was the largest party in Germany by 1932, and Hitler was legally appointed Chancellor due to being leader of the the nation’s largest party. The Enabling Act gave the Nazis total power by an act of Germany’s elected Reichstag. Let’s hear it for democracy.

Kalapana on November 11, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Two 3 words as to why not to attack obama too much

President Joe Biden

William Amos on November 11, 2008 at 11:06 AM

the culture and moral foundation of America along with our balance of powers that keeps them in check more than anything.

I basically beleive if the Democrats had Absolute power, it would look alot like the Soviet Union. If they had the power.

jp on November 11, 2008 at 11:06 AM

BL@KBIRD on November 11, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Or the…Wack Shack?

Sekhmet on November 11, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Ed is stealing my post ideas again. :)

Second time in two weeks. I think we’re sleeping at the same Holiday Inn Express.

Nethicus on November 11, 2008 at 11:06 AM

It’s not like stormtroopers have been harassing radio hosts.

Or going through the garbage of citizens for asking policy questions.

Wait a minute.

artist on November 11, 2008 at 11:06 AM

BHO just leaked details of his private conversation with Bush:

jgapinoy on November 11, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Ha ha ha, Rush predicted this on his show yesterday!

RushBaby on November 11, 2008 at 11:06 AM

And didn’t we spend years making fun of the irrational hatred? Do we want to become an absolute joke like Keith Olbermann?

terryannonline on November 11, 2008 at 11:06 AM

I will never trust that Man. I will just be keeping my eyes open, and prepared. That is all I can do. I do understand the scare tactics. But, this wasn’t the only speech he had stated this. So, I will just keep my eyes, ears open. Is good article though. Being there was so much flip flop and lies, cheating. One has to be aware. But carry on with life.

sheebe on November 11, 2008 at 11:07 AM

“BHO just leaked details of his private conversation with Bush:”…giving us another example of why Barry is not ready, (will never be ready) to be POTUS. Oh well…it’s all Bush’s fault and we elected him, so we must suffer the consequences.

Christine on November 11, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Once again I must compliment Cap’n Ed on his practical sense of pragmatism. (Yes, it’s a redundancy, but I’ve noticed some people claiming to be pragmatic have lost sight of its fundamental practicality; sort of that salt losing its savor thing). I feel other popular right-ish bloggers fly off the handle too much.

Besides, it’s not Obama himself that has me worried….

apostic on November 11, 2008 at 11:08 AM

I hate to call you an idiot, Ed, but you’re being a moron.

Christoph on November 11, 2008 at 11:08 AM

We need the bloggers like Ed and Ace and Michelle to clearly define what is out of bounds and constitutes ODS. That will help. We can police the crackpots on the Right and set a good example for our troops and for the country at large. This does not mean forgiving the last 8 years of BDS.

1. Anything related to Hitler or the Nazis.
2. Criticism of Michelle Obama or the Obama daughters (unless Michelle clearly inserts herself into policymaking as Hillary Clinton did.)
3. The whole thing with Obama’s birth certificate – this is our side’s version of the Bush National Guard “disappearance” and we have got to get off of it.

I think it is fine to talk about stuff that smacks of fascism and socialism – there’s a reason why sales of John Goldberg’s book have spiked again. But it’s a Grand Canyon-scale leap from that to Hitler. There have been many bad fascist and socialist regimes in world history that did not reach the depths of evil and mass murder that the Nazis did. But when you bring up Hitler you automatically lose the argument.

rockmom on November 11, 2008 at 11:08 AM

agree, it works.

however, the Dems have something we do not: The MSM

my guess is if we went to far the MSM will smear the GOP as a bunch of lunatic paranoid crackpots on a nightly basis. and claim its all about race and gop hating that a ‘black man is in the whitehouse’.

jp on November 11, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Not true. The Nazi Party won the most seats but they didnt have enough of a coalition to name Hitler Chancellor. So Fritz von papen the sitting Chancellor agreed to give up his seat to Hitler and President Paul Hinderburg gave his blessing to this.

They thought if they offered him a deal they could control him. So Hitler’s position as chancellor is more like Nancy Pelosi seat than the Presidency. Hitler used that power to re write everything so his party could benefit and he no longer needed any other parties.

William Amos on November 11, 2008 at 11:08 AM

And unlike Germany, we will get free elections in two years. If we want to win majorities back, we’ll need to stop invoking Nazis at every turn.

If Acorn allows it.

As far as ODS, the left has got to learn a lesson. If we do not follow the same line of attack the far left will never learn its lesson and will continue tro throw temper tantrums everytime a rep wins office. We must throw our own “sit-in” so that we can ensure each other of MAD in the policital arena. this is the only way to show the leftards that their “BDS” while it may work will not allow their guy to govern either. It is simple. They brought a gun to the Bush admin and you want us to bring a knife.

We need to bring a m1a1 tank. Sign me up for ODS and I’ll raise you an Ohitler saulte. One that Obama’s cheif of staff can no longer make.

unseen on November 11, 2008 at 11:09 AM

is it not true that Obama campaign commissioned Truth Squads in Missouri.

Is it not true that the Obama campaign threatened legal actions against TV and Radio stations?

Is it not true that the Obama campaign solicitied illicit funds from illegal sources for the funding of his campaign?

Is it not true that Obama has called for mandatory national service?

Is it not true that Michelle Obama called on Americans to sacrifice for Obama’s vision?

Is it not true that the Weatherunderground believes that ~ 10% of the population that can’t be re-educated be eliminated?

Is it not true that many in the media and within the Obama camp have expressed a desire to educate and heal Americans that did not vote for Obama?

Is it not true that Obama is expected to RULE from day one, and not serve?

If Obama is given unchecked power, I fear for the future of this country.

James on November 11, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Let’s not forget that the “elected one” is a student of Saul Alinsky and has questionable connections with terrorists and other America haters. I am sure he was only talking about a civilian service corps, right! It might be a group of people that will be able to report on the loyalty and activities of their neighbors, or grow the ATF to a monstrous size to start seizing weapons from law biding citizens. After all gun owners are such children and might end up only shooting themselves in the foot or harm their children. He could also use the IRS and FBI like the Clinton’s did, after all he is filling his cabinet positions many Clinton retreads. I won’t panic until I watch Congress start to fund and he begins to organize this unknown extension of the Executive Branch of our rapidly growing and bloated government. After that all bets are off!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE (mo-lone lah-veh) Translation: Come and take them!

Retired USAF on November 11, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Certainly there will be some who have it but don’t fall for this crap.

roux on November 11, 2008 at 11:10 AM

William Amos on November 11, 2008 at 10:59 AM

It might be wise to drop that assumption for now. He seems very focused, and could surprise you.

Big S on November 11, 2008 at 11:10 AM

It’s interesting that the press has already noticed ODS when they spent the last eight years not noticing – or even actively supporting – BDS.

Missy on November 11, 2008 at 11:10 AM

I think that what he wants is the “volunteer fire department” approach to national security. You know, go to sleep, go to work, go to the ball game, whatever – but when your decoder ring starts to glow you jump in your batmobile, log onto your bat computer and when you find out where the trouble is, you gather with the other members of the civilian national security boys club and you go stomp EVILs butt!

This is great! It ALWAYS works in the comic books and cartoons!

DuctTapeMyBrain on November 11, 2008 at 11:10 AM

terryannonline on November 11, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Agree, and agree (ew). Although what is the fine line between ODS and just plain venting?

Karen_VA on November 11, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Most rational people know the difference.

It just irritates me that when some far right nutjob says or does something stupid, it is immediately pinned to everyone on the right.

We need to stop falling into that trap. Right-wing nutjob spouts off – media is all over it – Congresscritter (D) calls for a formal apology or statement – Congressweenie (R) falls for it and issues a statement and instantly connects every (R) to the nutjob.

One the other side; Left-wing nutjob spouts off – media proclaims “Dissent is Patriotic!” – Congresscritter (D) ::crickets:: – Congressweenie (R) ::crickets::

reaganaut on November 11, 2008 at 11:11 AM

I hate to call you an idiot, Ed, but you’re being a moron.

Christoph on November 11, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Wonderfully thought out and informed comment, there. That shows absolutely no signs of derangement. All true conservatives should hope to show as much intelligence as this reincarnation of William F. Buckley, Jr., gracing us with his presence as a commenter.

As if it was needed: /sarc

MadisonConservative on November 11, 2008 at 11:11 AM

I hope Obama succeeds. We don’t have the time to act like the Left has for the last 8 years. It’s simply not very productive.

*However*, we need to watch this guy. While there are a lot of circumstantial parallels to JFK (including Obama choosing JFK’s desk for the OO), I think it’s going to look more like Carter, or possibly Bush 41. We have to be ready for 2012, but also for 2010. I don’t know how many seats are at stake, but we must get the GOP on track in the meantime.

the_souse on November 11, 2008 at 11:12 AM

M.M. is spot on here folks… True conservatives are realistic and focused. Let’s stay that way and NOT take on a “code pinko” mentality. Our focus should not be on who we “think” Obummer is or what he stands for. We already know that, so get on with it. We need to focus on correcting our structure, our message, and our strategy to take our country back. As long as we defend the first and second amendments at every turn, there will be no “civilian security force”.

HomeoftheBrave on November 11, 2008 at 11:12 AM

What is disconcerting is that during the primaries this site continued to represent Obama as naive, but well intended. Even though his associations were well known. His election, especially the money he got to campaign is far and away the most fraudulant.

Obama uses his minions to attack anyone who differs with his view of society. This is continued from his well documented rise in Illinois.

Ok, Obama isn’t Hitler, his thugish behaviour hasn’t been adaquately described or labled yet. Maybe we can brand this as “Def Jam” politics.

Conservative bloggers need to quit pandering to whoever they think will give them some kind of “politeness pass”, your kindness will be repayed in full.

Rode Werk on November 11, 2008 at 11:13 AM

its ’soft’ fascism, if we want to accurately describe what they really beleive in. Has nothing to do with an actual holocaust or anything.

jp on November 11, 2008 at 11:03 AM

All-American fascism – like Woodrow Wilson. Everybody here needs to read the history in that book. Excellent information at that link.

RushBaby on November 11, 2008 at 11:13 AM

Big S on November 11, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Really based on what who he has selected as his cabinent ?

Im not saying that Obama isnt smart or doesnt have an agenda I just dont see how it works. The left is gonna push Obama hard and I dont see him wanting to tick them off too much. The Media also still will want to keep its self proclaimed place as the “keep of America’s Consceince”

Obama will make missteps. Its only a matter of time. How WE respond to them is the critical difference.

William Amos on November 11, 2008 at 11:13 AM

How ’bout 21st Century version of Neville Chamberlain? Is that acceptable?

that’s what I’ve been calling him for a few months now….

mjk on November 11, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Sorry, but I’m not too concerned about uniting around the only man to ever hold “The Office of The President-Elect” who dislikes this country and its founding principles. That is based on the man’s words and actions. I am not deranged and am insulted that you are insinuating anything like that.

Where is the post honoring Veterans?

ashleymatt on November 11, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Obama gives every impression of being the consummate egomaniac – especially when he has to be alone on the stage, alone coming off the plane, etc. – he seems to think me, Me, MEEE!!!

With threats of lawyers scrutinizing reporters work for racism and anti-Obama rhetoric, lawyers all over the country watching the election on his behalf, all the idol worship and deification of his fans around the world, surrounded by toadies and sycophants…

Is it too far fetched to think that Barry might let it all go to his head?

rockbend on November 11, 2008 at 11:14 AM

James on November 11, 2008 at 11:09 AM

all true, what worries me is Obama appears to be a philosophical type of guy and he chose Germany of all places to give his world tour speech. The land of some very evil philosophers who provided the intellectual framework for the horrors of the 20th century and from which the Left is greatly influenced by. Marx, Hegel, Nietszche…

jp on November 11, 2008 at 11:15 AM

Hitler was a head of state. Now Obama is becoming a head of state!

COINCIDENCE! I think not!!

Lehosh on November 11, 2008 at 11:15 AM

So why doesn’t the Obama Campagn/Transition clarify BO’s comments on the Civilian National Security Force?

d1carter on November 11, 2008 at 11:15 AM

Where is the post honoring Veterans?

It was up at 7:35AM.

jgapinoy on November 11, 2008 at 11:15 AM

BDS was and is real!

PDS (Palin) was and is real!

There is NO such thing as “ODS”!

You cannot have “ODS” by definition, when the following things are FACTS, and 100% True:

Barack HUSSEIN Obama (PBUH)(SWT)(SWT) said he was never a “Muslim”; when in fact he was born and raised a Muslim

His Grandparents were Communist Sympathizers

His Father was a Communist-Muslim

His Mother was an Anti-American Socialist

He was mentored by an Anti-White, Anti-American, Communist Pedeophile….Frank Marshall Davis!

He self-radicalized, adopted Black Nationalism, Black Liberation Theology (which is a Marxist Theology by the way), etc., on his own, and says so, in his OWN WORDS!

He has rejected his 50% white heritage, and in fact, is a Racist.

He is married to an Anti-White, Anti-American Racist

He joined an Anti-American/Anti-White Racist “Church” for 20 years, that preaches and teaches Anti-Americanism, Anti-Semitism, Anti-White ideology and Black Liberation Marxist Theology

His political career has been stage-managed by Anti-American/Anti-White/Anti-Semitic Domestic Terrorist and Date Rapist William Ayers and his wife Bernadine Dorhn

He has been coopted by Radical Anti-American/Anti-Semitic Palestinians and Arabs, ever since he was in College, such as Rashid Khalidi, Tony Rezko, Edward Said, Ali Alimoudi, etc.

He has been under the influence of Anti-American/Anti-White/Anti-Semitic Nation of Islam founder Louis Farrakhan, since he first landed in Chicago, and has in fact, filled the ranks of his Presidential Campaign with radical Anti-American/Anti-White/Anti-Semitic NOI members, as well as Anti-Semitic “advisors” on Foreign Policy, Defense, Economic Policy, etc.

He was spawned and nurtured in the totally corrupt Daley Chicago Political Machine, and William Ayer’s father, CEO of Execelon, is another one who has helped manage and promote the careers of both Obama and his wife!

The above are ALL, 100%, Historical, immutable, irrefutable FACTS!

Ergo, there is no such thing as “ODS”; in fact, if anything Rep. Broun was probably too easy on Obama (PBUH)!

FACT!

Dale in Atlanta on November 11, 2008 at 11:15 AM

1. Anything related to Hitler or the Nazis.

Eh. Sometimes its instructive. Just don’t go around appending “Hitler” to his name.

Let it play out, just don’t going promoting the idea. Think “rule of law.” Besides, the Bush National Guard thing would only have been an embarrassment, not any kind of legal crisis.

rockmom on November 11, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Count to 10 on November 11, 2008 at 11:16 AM

A civilian security force would mean civilians would need guns, right?

Metro on November 11, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Ed, the “Civilian security force” thing wouldn’t be so chilling if he hadn’t then done the “Manditory community service” thing this week. That to me sounds like nothing less than compulsory service in the Dear Leader’s goon squad.

crazy_legs on November 11, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Valid or not, the comparisons are caused, not imagined.

Hindenburg or no Hindenburg, couple a cult of personality with the products of O’s propaganda machine having a certain Leni Riefenstahl quality to them and the comparison comes easily to hand.

ignatzk on November 11, 2008 at 11:16 AM

sheebe on November 11, 2008 at 11:07 AM

That was a very succinct way to put it. Life does go on, but it is a good idea to stay aware.

kybowexar on November 11, 2008 at 11:16 AM

William, none of the facts you state invalidate my position. Germany had to form a coalition government. Hitler as leader of the largest party was the obvious choice for Chancellor. von Papen and the rest, thought they had Hitler “boxed in” by controlling the cabinet. They forgot that Hitler and the Commies controlled the streets. The point is Hitler didn’t illegally seize power like the Bolsheviks. The line between “democracy” and fascism is thin.

The “idea” of stealing the American people’s 401ks demonstrate just how far the Democrats are willing to go. Call it “derangement,” I call it eternal vigilence.

Kalapana on November 11, 2008 at 11:17 AM

one key difference I think though, is Hitler was very Angry when he spoke, Obama not so much. Though many think he’s coached that way and a black man can’t appear to be angry???

the Jihadist leaders sound like Hitler in tone. In America, the closest thing I’ve heard to that level of shrill hatred and anger on the Dem side, as far as tone goes, is Howard Dean and Al Gore on some occassions.

jp on November 11, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Go ahead and put your heads in the sand, but when Obama unleashes his secret jackbooted Mutant Cyborg Zombie army, don’t come running to my binker stocked with automatic weapons and mac ‘n cheese.

jacrews on November 11, 2008 at 11:17 AM

lorien1973 on November 11, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Hitler analogies is policy criticism? So why did we get so pissy when the libs did it to Bush night and day? Wake up. Snap out of it.

Dash on November 11, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Binker? I hardly knew her.

jacrews on November 11, 2008 at 11:18 AM

There is NO such thing as “ODS”!

Dale in Atlanta on November 11, 2008 at 11:15 AM

The irony in this post is like eating a can of frosting with a spoon. Richer than rich.

MadisonConservative on November 11, 2008 at 11:19 AM

I don’t give a damn…I still say the empty suit will be try his best to destroy our country. And he will probably try to set himself up as some dictator.

dinkyjackson on November 11, 2008 at 11:19 AM

CantCureStupid on November 11, 2008 at 10:59 AM

These are the same kind of sweet sentiments that got McCain elected.

Oh wait- did he lose?

Obama should receive the same support he offered Bush over the last four years.

drjohn on November 11, 2008 at 11:19 AM

He seems very focused, and could surprise you.

Big S on November 11, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Right, exactly. He has a very focused agenda. You just can’t find out what it is.

RushBaby on November 11, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Don’t blame me. I voted for Kodos.

CanadianGuy on November 11, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Adolf won through intimidation. Marches, protests, book burnings, arson, convenience killings. Arkancide on a grand scale. Hindenburg wanted to save his own skin as did so many others who went along to get along. It didn’t take long for Adolf to transform the German system of “justice” into his lap dog. What worries me is that we haven’t had a definable, trustworthy Justice Department in this country in over two administrations. What isn’t enforced is legal. Adolf took advantage of similar judicial complacency / outright judicial activism. Franken is using the courts to turn a loss into a win as hacks support him and those who know better do nothing. Gregoire depended upon the same junk justice and opposition indifference in her, cough, election as governor of Washington state. Thune’s first campaign loss came as a result of votes needed by the DNC magically appearing via the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. Was there any opposition from the GOP. Not really.

One thing we do have in our favor is a volunteer military sworn to our Constitution. Were Obambi or other politician or judicial force willing to force a totalitarian regime our Fourth Branch of government (of sorts) our military could intervene. That’s what I see as our safety valve against despotism; our defense forces.

viking01 on November 11, 2008 at 11:20 AM

No, he wasn’t. Hitler was never elected to any office. He became Chancellor because of a deal struck between political factions warring with each other in the twilight of Weimar Germany

That’s what a “coalition” in a parliamentary system is.

Hitler was elected indirectly by the Reichstag. Obama will be elected indirectly by the Electoral College. The latter does not meet in a single location wherein they may work out a coalition. American parties do the coalition-building before the election, whereas parliamentary systems build them after.

The Monster on November 11, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Hmmmmm. Can’t see my prior post. Trying again.

Here. Listen.

Jose the caller. Part 1

Jose the caller. Part 2

Jose the caller Part 3

Jose the caller. Part 4

MrC_5150 on November 11, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Heil Obama… All going according to plan…

DL13 on November 11, 2008 at 11:22 AM

I fell victim to ODS on November 6. I got over it on November 7.

Let’s go. We’ve go work to do.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 11, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Michelle didn’t go visit his grandmother because she hates white people. Don’t think for a minute if the grandmother had been black, Michelle would’ve been there soaking in the attention from the press.
My God I HATE that bitch!

dinkyjackson on November 11, 2008 at 11:22 AM

MadisonConservative on November 11, 2008 at 11:19 AM

The real irony in your postings, are how willfuly blind you are!

“Tolerance, when applied to Evil, becomes a Crime!”
Thomas Mann

But in my book, Willful Blindness such as your, exceeds Stupidity, which it is, it’s suicidal!

Please excuse me if I let you pull the trigger with the gun to your own head; not my families nor mine!

Dale in Atlanta on November 11, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Ed, please give it a rest. I wish I had a dollar for every right side pundit who has posted a column recently reminding the torch and pitchfork crowd–the pundit’s readers–that we must behave and treat Obomber oh so much better than the left ever treated Obomber’s predecessor in office.

The stuffy moral superiority in these posts and columns is insulting, and is not your normal stock in trade.

james23 on November 11, 2008 at 11:22 AM

………………….. The Night of the Long Knives.

Seven Percent Solution on November 11, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Now I see it. Sorry for the duplicates if they show up.

MrC_5150 on November 11, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Big S on November 11, 2008 at 11:10 AM

His selection of Cabinet and other advisors should give a hint on where his focus lies.

a capella on November 11, 2008 at 11:23 AM

I take him at his word.
“We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives we’ve set. We’ve got to have a civilian national security force that’s just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded.”
Clearly, he wants a huge paramilitary force. But what are his “national security objectives”? Eliminate opposition?

n0doz on November 11, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Really based on what who he has selected as his cabinent ?

William Amos on November 11, 2008 at 11:13 AM

First of all, he hasn’t appointed anyone to his cabinet yet, although he is assembling his staff. The first pick – Rahm Emmanuel, who is no darling of the left – was made with an eye on governing. Pretty much every Dem House member elected in 2006 and 2008 owes favors to the man, so Obama has a bit of influence there.

We’ll see how strong the left is in its influence with Obama over the next few weeks. He’s come out in favor of keeping Joe Lieberman in the caucus, which is a lot of the more leftist Dems to swallow. If Lieberman stays, it’s a good indication that Obama has the Congressional left under control.

I understand that Obama will make missteps, but he’s got a lot of political capital right now. I’m not going to misunderestimate him.

Big S on November 11, 2008 at 11:23 AM

OAS – Obama Awareness Syndrome – should not be confused with ODS. OAS will be employed by productive, competent members of society.

One thing’s for sure: Obama is an immature punk. Whether offering crude jokes about Nancy Reagan, or confiding with his aides who then reveal details about his private meeting with President Bush, Obama displays poor judgment time and time again.

Words matter, and Obama is careless with his sweeping pronouncements. It’s not ODS to try to mentally complete the dots when Barry tosses out these wild speculations (such as a powerful national civilian security force). Obama’s lack of detail is his own worst enemy, and will do nothing to invoke confidence in our allies and fear in our enemies.

T J Green on November 11, 2008 at 11:23 AM