Open thread: McCain talks Palin on Leno

posted at 11:00 pm on November 11, 2008 by Allahpundit

11:35 ET on NBC. He’s “proud” and “grateful” that she was on the ticket, but as far as him rebuking the Africa/NAFTA smears, it sounds like this is as close we’re going to get:

Asked by Leno about griping about Palin from unidentified McCain operatives in the days following the election, the Arizona senator said, “These things happen in campaigns.

“I think I have at least a thousand, quote, top advisers,” he scoffed. “A top adviser said? I’ve never even heard of … a top adviser or high-ranking Republican official.”

However, McCain never directly addressed the embarrassing controversy over Palin’s expensive campaign wardrobe purchased by the Republican National Committee, or statements by unidentified McCain aides who have reportedly said she was not prepared on foreign policy.

Good enough?

Comments

I for one respect John McCain and I can split John McCain the war hero from John McCain the politician

joey24007 on November 11, 2008 at 11:30 PM

I watched McCain tonight and I took his remarks to be in honor and respect of the day — Veterans Day, for the Veterans.

He was direct in his respect and appreciation for Sarah Palin before that and I think his comments overall were fitting, proper, in place, reasonable, respectable.

I can’t see that McCain getting into the details of the “Palin smears” would accomplish anything now. The moment passed when he might have done so, but, perhaps, it’s for the best as to Sarah Palin (what I’d want, anyway, were I her). She can handle this herself and needs to.

S on November 12, 2008 at 4:04 AM

S on November 12, 2008 at 4:04 AM

nice blog, “S”. i will be keeping an eye on it.

homesickamerican on November 12, 2008 at 4:47 AM

Just can’t bring himself to defend the woman from scurrilous attacks and smears.

So much for his oft touted “honor”…

SuperCool on November 12, 2008 at 4:50 AM

I predicted McCain would lose in May and I’m almost sorry that I voted for him and if it weren’t for Sarah Palin, I wouldn’t have voted for him. Never again will I abandon my conservative principles! McCain left most of his honor and his spine in that prison cell in Hanoi. John McCain, do us all a favor and retire so that a REAL Conservative can run for Senate in Arizona.

nelsonknows on November 12, 2008 at 4:56 AM

How about McCain make phone calls, defend Palin via releases, and keep off the talk shows for a while? Why do I need to see McCain on Leno at this point? Tend to business, John.

paul1149 on November 12, 2008 at 4:59 AM

This is a bit OT, but I think you guys should see this:

SoulGlo on November 12, 2008 at 5:09 AM

This may sound wild but I think the Demos/MSM pushed/planned for McCain to win the nomination knowing he could be defeated by BHO or Hillary for that matter.

Ozark_sky on November 12, 2008 at 12:19 AM

Well, LaRaza certainly did so (pushed McCain for to lose, as you suggest).

S on November 12, 2008 at 5:33 AM

At least John Kerry had the decency to go back into obscurity after his debacle.

pedestrian on November 12, 2008 at 12:22 AM

Not hardly. He seems to be in the process of buying the Secretary of State position, the creep.

That happens, it’s the end of the world, as far as I’m concerned, the Apocalypse will be upon us, that’d be proof of that.

S on November 12, 2008 at 5:39 AM

I don’t see a reasonable argument in trashing Sarah Palin for the name of the college she attended, nor for how many years it took before she earned her degree. That does not necessarily tell us what her ability or abilities to serve in a leadership position is, or what the quality of her judgment is.

Sarah did very well in the campaign. Many in the populace would have done much worse.

William2006 on November 12, 2008 at 2:09 AM

And it takes five, six even seven years to finish college when a student is self supporting, paying their own way.

Obama remains a mystery in that regard despite claiming he ‘worked (his) way through college’ and only two few-week-long summer jobs are on record, including a stint at an ice cream parlor.

Hardly the work that finances either or both Columbia and Harvard.

A LOT of people who self-support or pay their own way in college take a year off and then go back, take another year off, go back again…it’s a process of work in between college years that makes financing college possible.

Obama conveniently blacked-out his Columbia years and has lied about how “he” “paid” for Harvard. Oh, and he also flew all over the world. Which he also apparently claims to have financed by working for a few weeks at an ice cream parlor.

The ONLY way Obama’s paltry, brief, few-weeks-long summer “jobs” paid for Columbia AND Harvard were if he was selling crack cocaine instead of hot fudge on that ice cream.

S on November 12, 2008 at 6:02 AM

nice blog, “S”. i will be keeping an eye on it.

homesickamerican on November 12, 2008 at 4:47 AM

Why, thanks! I’m sorry to have to moderate all comments, but, it’s necessary since I can’t keep an eye on the site in real time. You and all HOT-AIR peeps are very welcome to comment there, though, and visit especially.

S on November 12, 2008 at 6:06 AM

Is this good enough? Well that depends. For the people who wanted McCain to call mystery leakers out for a duel, nothing will be good enough. But the truth is I still have my doubts that this whole silly episode is anything other than the media stirring up trouble and the blogs playing along with them.

Terrye on November 12, 2008 at 6:56 AM

Palin on Greta was much more fun.

lodge on November 12, 2008 at 6:57 AM

Not even close to good enough. Absolutely pathetic. McCain once again prefers to be milktoast towards liberals, appeasing and failing to stand up to tell off his own staff over such disgusting attacks. If he can’t even summon enough balls to stand up for his own former Vice Presidential nominee, then whom or what will he stand up for? It’s the McCain we’ve always known and not loved… I’m glad I didn’t vote for him after all.

Jockolantern on November 12, 2008 at 7:15 AM

It’s time to leak the names of the leakers

drjohn on November 12, 2008 at 7:21 AM

Jockolantern on November 12, 2008 at 7:15 AM

Here, here. McCain’s statements are an example of damning with faint praise. If he truly wanted to defend her, he would have said “of course Sarah knows that Africa is a continent and who is in NAFTA, and if, in fact, a member of my campaign has said otherwise, that person should be ashamed of himself.”

Outlander on November 12, 2008 at 7:29 AM

Outlander on November 12, 2008 at 7:29 AM

Bingo.

Jockolantern on November 12, 2008 at 7:30 AM

Terrye on November 12, 2008 at 6:56 AM

When smears become public, you have to come out IMMEDIATELY and clamp down on them. This is especially true when the smear fits into a public perception of a candidate. The late night talk shows have run Palin jokes for a solid week on those smears. If you aren’t aggressive about fighting the smear, it will stick, and when 2011 rolls around and the campaign season begins, look for everyone to viciously mock Palin for purportedly not knowing that Africa was a continent. She’ll have Johnny Mac to thank for that.

Outlander on November 12, 2008 at 7:37 AM

Until NBC finally have a good interview with Palin, they bias it away with their article on it.

Lauer asked how she’d feel if in four years her mom ran for president. Before Piper could answer, her mother said, “Would you want to do it again, sister?”

Palin said she expected she and McCain would win the election right up to the very end. But she contradicted herself on the topic of the large margin of Obama’s win, saying at one point it was a surprise, and then later saying it wasn’t.

Apparently somebody can’t believe that they’ll win and still understand it when they lost?

Phoenician on November 12, 2008 at 7:41 AM

We all closed our eyes and held our noses for McCain and now we get to go back to how we really feel- at least we can be happy that he introduced us to a Conservative candidate that we can wholeheartedly embrace. And McCain can go back to sticking his thumb in our eyes, every chance he gets.

anniekc on November 12, 2008 at 8:08 AM

John, thank you for your service, now please fade into the sunset for all of our sakes.

Viper1 on November 12, 2008 at 8:08 AM

Of course he doesn’t beat his wife…

ninjapirate on November 12, 2008 at 8:20 AM

If it wasn’t for Palin, McCain would have suffered the worse defeat in election history…she saved his *ss, and this arrogant *sshole can’t say that these rumors are garbage and for the MSM to do their homework before repeating these scurrilious, underhanded, gossipy, “stories”.

right2bright on November 12, 2008 at 8:23 AM

He was always more fired up about criticizing his own party than he was the other side, and he also is much more adept at taking up for the other side than his own side.

I greatly respect his service to this country and he is truly an American hero, but he is sort of a jerk if you talk to people on Capitol Hill who have dealt with him, and he will go back to the Senate to stick it in our eye!

ReaganConservative3 on November 12, 2008 at 8:30 AM

Outlander on November 12, 2008 at 7:37 AM

I agree – if McCain had addressed this earlier his mild handling might have been enough. Now the anti-Palin crowd will be able to spin the response into If it all was really untrue he wouldn’t have waited so long – he’s only addressing it now because of the blowback from the nutroots on the right

He could have talked to the aides and told them to counter the attacks. No ones saying that he bashed Palin but the smears were made under the name of HIS campaign. It does reflect on how he controlled his campaign. Imagine if the staff had come out the day after all this crap happened and called it as false? It wouldn’t be embedded in the matra of the “Palin is a putz” crowd. But it’s out there joining the “she burnned books” story – never to be given up by those who hate her.

katiejane on November 12, 2008 at 9:05 AM

Not good enough, not by far. One learns more about a man’s character when he loses than when he wins. Failing to forthrightly address the Palin smears emanating from his own staff tells me all I need to know about John McCain. When I made calls for him, defended and advocated for him online and IRL, and then voted for him, I didn’t think I was voting for the lesser evil. Turns out I was wrong. On the positive side, Sarah Palin is now unencumbered, with no obligation to John McCain or his legacy.

troyriser_gopftw on November 12, 2008 at 9:21 AM

Talk about trickle up loyalty!!!! Now I am glad that I voted for Governor Palin, and NOT McCain. I guess he is treating her the same way that he has treated both his first and his current wife- she had a use, and now that he lost, let her take the blame so he can go back to the Senate and be “bipartisan”. Who cares what happens to her now?

trainwife1962 on November 12, 2008 at 9:27 AM

Sir Valiant: [to wise_man] It would seem your friend Juan McCoot is in distress. To the rescue. [pushes wise_man into the abyss]
Sir Valiant: [throws bag of wise_man talking points into the abyss] Yours, I believe.
PercyB on November 12, 2008 at 12:19 AM

How amusing. Perhaps I can amuse you as well.

*Attempts to give PercyB a clue with my clue bat*

*A few more hits, and there is more brain on the wall than what’s in your head*

*Not that you can tell from the before and after, slams the clue bat a few more times until there is nothing left in PercyB’s head.*

*Again, not that you can tell the difference.*

wise_man on November 12, 2008 at 10:27 AM

How honorable of McShamnesty to defend his teammate.

This guy is a grumpy old fossil and irrelevant in the 21st century.

Go back to Sedona and take a hike, Juan!

omnipotent on November 12, 2008 at 10:43 AM

My gripe with McCain is not how he is acting towards Sarah now, but his refusal early in the campaign to allow Sarah to appear on right-wing talk radio first before going on Gibson’s and Couric’s programs. To keep Rush Limbaugh at a distance from your campaign Senator McCain was foolhardy. Rush even praised you for your selection of Sarah Palin. What his 20m listeners saw John was a man who still harbored resentment towards Rush and who would allow that resentment to overrule campaign logic instead of playing to the friendlier base first. Isn’t that how it’s done in show business? You don’t play Broadway first-you debut the play out of town to get out the kinks and when you’re ready then you book Broadway. Of course John, you and the idiots that ran your campaign probably thought that all Broadway plays debut on Broadway, didn’t you?

technopeasant on November 12, 2008 at 10:57 AM

I lost some respect from John McCain after his appearance on Leno. So much for straight talk and honor.

Well John and his campaign need to blame someone for a sloppily run campaign.

And John hears a little tidbit, while Sarah may not have been perfect, she was the reason you didn’t lose bigger in the election. Just compare her crowds to yours.

SmallGovtGuy on November 12, 2008 at 11:08 AM

I voted for Palin, and against the One.

You watch, it will not be too much after Januray 20th that he will be gladly STICKING it in our eyeballs and sucking up to the media again.

I am saving my contempt and anger for him until he does this, but I know it is coming. Anyone who thinks it is not, is either naive or stupid, or likely both.

ReaganConservative3 on November 12, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Here is my opinion: Mr. McCain is neither honorable nor conservative. I voted for Palin, not McCain. I do not trust him as far as I could throw him. It would suit me just fine if he just went back to Arizona and disappeared, but they dont want him either.

PeteWilson on November 12, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Too little Too late. It’s time for John to retire. He wont be getting any more votes from me here in Az.

Badbrucskie on November 12, 2008 at 11:35 AM