Great news: 59% pretty psyched for one-party Democratic rule

posted at 5:55 pm on November 11, 2008 by Allahpundit

Utopia cometh.

In the CNN/Opinion Research Corp. survey released Tuesday, 59 percent of those questioned said Democratic control of both the executive and legislative branches will be good for the country, compared with 38 percent saying such one-party control will be bad.

“That much good will from the public opens a window of opportunity for the Democrats,” said CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. “But the public expects results, and may not listen to excuses for very long if a Democratic Congress and a Democratic White House can’t get their act together in time.”

The poll also indicates that the public has a positive view of the Democratic Party, with 62 percent saying they have a favorable opinion and 31 percent an unfavorable opinion of the party. For the Republicans, a majority, 54 percent, said they have an unfavorable view of the GOP while 38 percent hold a positive view…

But that doesn’t mean the public wants to see the GOP shut out of government. Seven out of eight want the Democrats to include Republican views in any legislation they pass.

Some of it’s attributable to a honeymoon period that’ll wear off next year, but eyeball this graph at the Standard to see how many subgroups skewed at least 10 points more heavily Democratic this time than in 2004. It’s the demographic equivalent of that county map I posted last week. Jay Cost thinks it probably isn’t a realignment due to the lack of any grand catalyzing issue a la, say, 1860 or 1932, but needless to say, much depends on how sturdy the blue trend is among younger voters. I remember seeing a graph in the Times, I think, around two years ago showing that people’s party identification at age 20 proves remarkably resilient over time: Essentially, if the GOP’s in favor when you reach that age, the odds of you becoming — and staying — a Republican are much greater than if the Dems are in power and vice versa. (I can’t find the graph after 20 minutes of googling, sad to say.) Which I guess means that if The One and the Dems manage to avoid doing anything nutty too soon to spoil the goodwill, they should have a dependable blue youth base to carry forward for years to come.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m moving to Alaska, joining the AIP, and then watching America cruise to disaster from a distance. Who’s game to join me?

OneGyT on November 11, 2008 at 11:22 PM

naw..dont believe it.
This is just a relieved america that is glad to be done with all the campaigning. Once the lil feller is actually in it really will be a no win scenario.
If he puts his loser policies in and they fail? ooh baby. stick a fork in him.
If we get attacked and he’s weakened our defense, Over.
If inflation rises and jobs go down…Over.
If the people that voted for him find out that “hey…You mean I still have to pay rent and for gas?”

OVER.

One term..hit him hard and hit him often.

Handel on November 11, 2008 at 11:45 PM

OneGyT on November 11, 2008 at 11:22 PM

I’m in!

Let’s take a cruise ship.

Sign of the Dollar on November 12, 2008 at 12:01 AM

Is it just me or does Harry give you the creeps too. That look in the pic is just freaky.

bullseye on November 12, 2008 at 12:12 AM

I saw a poll on monday that said 55% would not mind people making over 250 K a year pay 75% in taxes as long as the money was given to the people making under 50K a year.

thmcbb on November 11, 2008 at 8:16 PM

Yeah, those nonproductive parasites are really going to enjoy being unemployed and penniless when the federal government goes under. Who do they think is going to bail out Washington when all that deficit spending catches up to it?

I don’t know why it’s so hard for people to understand that while government can use its muscle to redistribute existing wealth, only free-market capitalism allows individuals to create more wealth. Forcing successful businessmen to give up their money in order to dole out government charity does far less to help the working class and the poor than staying out of their way and allowing them to create jobs and useful goods and services. Hell, in America, individuals voluntarily give so much more of their wealth to private charities than citizens of other countries that if the government really cared about the poor and the desperate, they wouldn’t tax us at all.

Obama/Reid/Pelosi shouldn’t last more than one election cycle once the electorate realizes that they didn’t actually vote in change and hope, but a fringe dope.

Sign of the Dollar on November 12, 2008 at 12:28 AM

Someone said a month ago that these are going to be four to eight years of “delicious crazy.” There it is!

The insane ruling the asylum. Just what we needed! This is the beginning of the end for this country. This is fast becoming a nation I no longer recognize as my own.

Where are we supposed to go to start over? Where?

newton on November 12, 2008 at 12:32 AM

Looks like charisma and trickery has overcome experience and skill….

DL13 on November 12, 2008 at 12:58 AM

The first sign was with BJ Clinton being put in by the socker moms. He put what was still decent in the country, through hell, as did Hill. Now we have BO driving the flaming #50 car into a friggin wall with the Clintons hiding in the trunk. Civil war comes to mind, like the Dems said they’d start if Obama lost. Gee, its all good now isn’t it? No riots, everyone falsely euphoric over Bommy, IRAN missles going together, Putin making himself President again, Cuba looking to move in. I’m watching certain ‘folks’ walk right out of the 7-11′s with stolen stuff in their pockets and I quote ‘Obama is taking care of me’.

Look around. Its already January!

johnnyU on November 12, 2008 at 5:17 AM

The youth vote is the giveaway. Democrats and hard leftists control the education and entertainment businesses. Young voters have heard “Democrat = good, Republican = evil corporation” all their lives, from hundreds of sources. The leftward swing of the nation is ensured, unless Republicans somehow get control of education and entertainment.

philwynk on November 12, 2008 at 7:29 AM

Interesting.

I wonder..with Bush out of office and the Dems in control of everything, who will the 59% blame when it gets really bad (like we all know it will)??

SueM on November 12, 2008 at 8:22 AM

OneGyT on November 11, 2008 at 11:22 PM
I’m in!

Let’s take a cruise ship.

Me three. The Future Voters of America think that the US Government is Santy Claus. Stop the country, I want to get off. Stand by for Nationalized Health Care–a monkey we will never get off our backs. Bury your AR’s in your backyard–plans for waterproof firearms caches are available online. And say bye-bye to your 401k. You’ll spend 5% of your income on Government Bonds yielding 3% (of nothing, just like Social Security, they’ll blow all the money), and you’ll eat dog food when you’re 65, and you’ll like it–or the Obama Jugend will pay your home a visit. Believe, Obey, Fight.

quikstrike98 on November 12, 2008 at 8:50 AM

As George Costanza once said: “Flame On!”

Mr_Magoo on November 12, 2008 at 11:03 AM