Obama sends “former” advisor who met with Hamas to hold talks with Syria? Update: Debunked?

posted at 12:58 pm on November 10, 2008 by Allahpundit

LGF’s all over it but I’m leery of the fact that the only reports thus far are from Middle Eastern media I’ve never heard of. Plus, it’s unlikely that Obama’s first move vis-a-vis Israel would involve a guy who ended up under the bus six months ago for his willingness to chat with one of the few groups even The One won’t meet with. There’s no one less toxic whom he could have picked for this task among his 300 foreign policy advisors?

Then again, maybe this is his way of comforting those within the precincts of tolerance who are feeling anxiety at the fact that our new chief of staff comes from an Israeli family. Exercise caution until the British papers follow up on it (American papers won’t bother), but for what it’s worth, here’s the scoop:

This caution has been justified by Obama’s first staff appointment, offering the chief of staff position to Democratic Congressman Rahm Emanual. The Chicago representative is the son of an Israeli who was a member of the Irgun, famous for its role in the Deir Yassin massacre of Palestinians in 1948.

On the flipside, it emerged that Obama had sent his senior foreign policy advisor Robert Malley to both Cairo and Damascus these past few weeks to outline the president-elect’s plans for the region, which indicates a willingness to further strengthen ties with staunch US ally Egypt and begin boosting relations with Syria.

And here, as LGF reminds us, is what Team Barry had to say when Malley — supposedly never a formal advisor to the campaign — copped to meeting with Hamas:

Robert Malley told The Times he had regularly been in contact with Hamas, which controls Gaza but is listed by the US State Department as a terrorist organisation. Such talks, he stressed, were related to his work for a conflict resolution think tank and had no connection with his position on Mr Obama’s Middle East advisory council.

“I’ve never hidden the fact that in my job with the International Crisis Group I meet all kinds of people,” he added.

But Ben LaBolt, a spokesman for Mr Obama, responded swiftly, saying: “Rob Malley has, like hundreds of other experts, provided informal advice to the campaign in the past. He has no formal role in the campaign and he will not play any role in the future.”

In a way I hope it’s true that he’s back working for them since Obama’s reasons for not meeting with Hamas have always been a transparent fraud. “We should only sit down with Hamas,” he said during the campaign, “if they renounce terrorism, recognize Israel’s right to exist and abide by past agreements.” Iran’s guiltier than Hamas is on all three counts yet he’s perfectly willing to meet with them, which makes the lesson in Gaza clear: If you want an audience with the new world pope, work on graduating from a terrorist group to a terrorist state.

Exit question one: It’d be a lot easier to throw rocks here if the Bush team hadn’t already started meeting with Iran, huh? Exit question two: Since Team Barry’s now, allegedly, granting amnesty to former aides who sinned against the campaign, when does Samantha Power come back aboard?

Update: This piece in Forbes confirms that Malley did meet with Syria — but in his role for the International Crisis Group. The only evidence that he was there at Obama’s behest appears to be an assumption made by Syrian state media that he was still working for the campaign:

What really attracted attention, though, was that on the same day a Web site closely associated with the government published a translation of a lecture Malley had delivered at Yale, offering effusive praise for it.

The site referred to Malley as a senior adviser to Barack Obama on the Middle East, even though the Obama campaign says Malley’s role was never official. In any case, the campaign dropped him as too controversial after it was reported that he had met with Hamas officials. The Web site further stated that Malley’s opinions would shape the next U.S. president’s ideas about the Middle East, noting that, unlike the Bush administration, Malley supported a peace agreement between Syria and Israel–which would weaken Iran, Hezbollah and Hamas.

The site noted that Obama had twice echoed Malley in stating that the failure of the war in Iraq had strengthened Iran’s influence. But if the Obama campaign has indeed severed its ties to Malley, it seems that Syrian officials are overestimating his influence.

The cloak and dagger theory here would be that he is still working for the campaign and meeting with people under aegis of the ICG to maintain plausible deniability, but if that’s the case, why would Syrian media blow his cover? All it’ll do is piss Obama off.

Comments

Liar liar pants on fire!

Anybody think the repentant media will cover this?

I thought not.

clnurnberg on November 10, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Before he says boo to Israel?

hawkdriver on November 10, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Good job, Jews. Fools.

marklmail on November 10, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Is it normal for a pres.-elect to be doing all the stuff this bho is doing? Has any other pres.-elect ever done this?
L

letget on November 10, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Obama’s reasons for not meeting with Hamas have always been a transparent fraud . . .

. . . much like Obama himself.

AZCoyote on November 10, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Exit question one: It would be a lot harder to throw rocks if Obarfy hadn’t previously declared his willingness to meet with thugs without preconditions.

Bishop on November 10, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Samantha Power was hinting she could be back as early as March 26, 2008.

Karl on November 10, 2008 at 1:07 PM

Odds Israel still exist in 4 years? any odds makers for that? Would be an interesting bet to place on inTrade

jp on November 10, 2008 at 1:07 PM

Israel’s doomed… just because Rohm is from an Israeli family, doesn’t mean bupkus! Bush is wrong to meet with Iran..(stone throwing) as for the lovely Ms. Power, I’ll bet like Jones-Kelley, she has just been on paid leave.
I am so ashamed of all my Jewish family that voted for Obama!

beththebaker on November 10, 2008 at 1:07 PM

Shoot, Power is back already!

BJ* on November 10, 2008 at 1:08 PM

So… Rahm Emanuel might be Obama’s… beard?

If this turns out to be true I may actually end up feeling sorry for the wee ballerina. The term “useful idiot” wouldn’t even begin to cover it.

Gilda on November 10, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Senator Obama, you’re no Henry Kissinger.

lodge on November 10, 2008 at 1:09 PM

America elected this clown and his media enablers. What else do we expect from a Chicago thug? The media silence on anything that will taint him is a complete lack of surprise. If his presidency is a disaster every single person who voted for ‘hope and change’ is to blame.

tyrfing on November 10, 2008 at 1:09 PM

But there is no better friend of Israel than Barak Obama.

Just don’t expect him to do anything about it.

Right_of_Attila on November 10, 2008 at 1:09 PM

What was Malley doing here…
Former Obama Adviser Meets Syria’s Assad
Ayman Abdel Nour 10.21.08, 12:00 AM ET

Syria’s official media was keen to deliver special coverage of President Bashar Al-Assad’s Oct. 16 meeting with Robert Malley, head of the Middle East program at the International Crisis Group and erstwhile informal adviser to U.S. presidential candidate Barack Obama.

fbcmusicman on November 10, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Exit Question Three: Should the American Jews in FL, PA and OH insist on a revote-recount?

———————————————————-
“What interested me was not news, but appraisal. What I sought was to grasp the flavor of a man, his texture, his impact, what he stood for, what he believed in, what made him what he was and what color he gave to the fabric of his time.” – John Gunther, reporter and author (1901-1970)

Sweetness0726 on November 10, 2008 at 1:10 PM

as history repeats itself, both with a depression thanks to Dem policy and major world war…..the Jews once again get the short end of the stick. With such glarring history in our rear view its much worse this time around. no excuses

jp on November 10, 2008 at 1:11 PM

What was Malley doing here…
Former Obama Adviser Meets Syria’s Assad
Ayman Abdel Nour 10.21.08, 12:00 AM ET

fbcmusicman on November 10, 2008 at 1:09 PM

I constantly e-mailed and told all of my jewish circle this info and the volumes more like it… the lefties would here or believe none of it! They are so blind that they will never believe Obama will do anything BAD for Israel or Jews…remember many jews turned on their own during Nazi reign.. now, I have become the blacksheep of my extended family.

beththebaker on November 10, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Everybody knows the story of the frog and the scorpion. Except Obama voters, apparently.

Mr. D on November 10, 2008 at 1:15 PM

I have posted this before, but it looks like it might happen!

Israel is know in it’s third week of bombing of Iran and still no word from the White House

Israel in dyer need of fuel and supplies with at oil 687.29 per barrel and steel is no longer allowed to be manufactured ammunition is not readily available Pres Obama while on vacation in Kenya could not be reached for comment, VP Bidden said see I told you so. On the brighter side the reeducation camps are full at this time, however now that all of the military base’s are closed there will be room for more conservatives soon,

driver on November 10, 2008 at 1:16 PM

My congregation has Rahm all tricked out as Queen Esther and saving his people. The stupidity and denial is breathtaking

clnurnberg on November 10, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Sure, why not? With a wink and a nod, Power can come back, Obama can rejoin TUCC and reconcile with Jeremiah Wright, and he can pull every person and belief back out from under that bus.

He won the election so all those inconveniences aren’t a problem any more.

flipflop on November 10, 2008 at 1:17 PM

clnurnberg on November 10, 2008 at 1:17 PM

What about Haman? I can’t even attend anymore.. I get soo angry!!

beththebaker on November 10, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Rahm is the capo that will keep the Jews in line while they re led to the slaughter.

rockmom on November 10, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Israel’s problems are her own fault.

Total war is out of fashion thus there will be no resolution short of Israel’s death by a thousand cuts.

I’ve lost any sympathy for Israel. The Jews are genetically self destructive. The angst and guilt of Jewish mothers isn’t stereotype; it’s a birthright of the race.

mylegsareswollen on November 10, 2008 at 1:21 PM

beththebaker on November 10, 2008 at 1:07 PM

Actually, Israel is not doomed. It might look like it, but I would not bet against Israel.

Now, if Ezekiel or Daniel were talking about it being doom, I’d listen.

Otherwise, forget it. Smart money is on Israel and her God.

kybowexar on November 10, 2008 at 1:21 PM

More importantly, has The Obama family picked out a puppy yet?

Mr_Magoo on November 10, 2008 at 1:25 PM

All it’ll do is piss Obama off.

Got to test the water, no? Besides, I don’t think pissing Obama off is anybody’s concern in that part of the world – - I’m sure they see him as weak and easy to manipulate.

Rick on November 10, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Mr_Magoo on November 10, 2008 at 1:25 PM

It is hard to find a dog that does not snarl at Ms. Obama.

and does not howl when Mr. Obama enters the room.

kybowexar on November 10, 2008 at 1:28 PM

rockmom on November 10, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Much as I dislike the guy I find it very hard to believe that he would do such a (metaphorical) thing knowingly. I hope he’d quit first. He doesn’t owe everything to Obama and could get along fine without him.

Gilda on November 10, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Well,Ms.Powers did call HilRod a ‘monster’,
so thats got to be a plus!

But,I’m wondering,does first lady OMama get
along with Powers?

Israel will have to realize that Obama will
not be helpful,and if anyone in Israel that
has got that message the best,it would be
Benjamin Neytinyau!(I apologize for the spelling).

canopfor on November 10, 2008 at 1:30 PM

That’s a filthy thing to say. Repeat it at your own risk.

Allahpundit on November 10, 2008 at 1:30 PM

mylegsareswollen on November 10, 2008 at 1:21 PM

I agree but have great exception to the sympathy part. The absentee ballots of American Jews in Israel was eye opening. 75% voted for McCain… leftists are everywhere and if Israel falls, so do we. Support for Israel is paramount … I have problems with the American SECULAR Jews… this does not , by the way, exclude Rabbi’s… many are secular! I have noticed the problem with at least the southern Jews where I am, is that they still fear Christians trying to convert them (prevalent in the 50′s and earlier) than they fear Islamists.

beththebaker on November 10, 2008 at 1:30 PM

obama has to be told if he is supposed to be pissed

tomas on November 10, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Flash Traffic:

Media Awaits Arrival of Obama’s Frank Burn’s Plane at Reagan National Airport: watch Live!

Mr_Magoo on November 10, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Debunked….typical since LGF was trying to drum it up into something it wasn’t…pffffft

melachiro on November 10, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Israel will continue to exist and does not depend on the US for its existence.

lexhamfox on November 10, 2008 at 1:38 PM

That’s a filthy thing to say. Repeat it at your own risk.

Allahpundit on November 10, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Whatever. I heard it this morning from my own 88-year-old Jewish father. Some Jews can see what is going on here. Rahm was put there for window dressing. Israel is as good as gone already.

rockmom on November 10, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Israel will continue to exist and does not depend on the US for its existence.

In what form will “Israel” survive?

mylegsareswollen on November 10, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Gilda on November 10, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Too many people (especially here) fall into the trap of thinking people think like they do. If you want to be a good analyst you need to think as they do, not as you do. For example, does this thought process make sens to you? It certainly does to George Soros:

At a Jewish forum in New York City, Soros partially attributed a recent resurgence of antisemitism to the policies of Israel and the United States, and to successful Jews such as himself:

There is a resurgence of anti-Semitism in Europe. The policies of the Bush administration and the Sharon administration contribute to that. It’s not specifically anti-Semitism, but it does manifest itself in anti-Semitism as well. I’m critical of those policies… If we change that direction, then anti-Semitism also will diminish. I can’t see how one could confront it directly… I’m also very concerned about my own role because the new anti-Semitism holds that the Jews rule the world… As an unintended consequence of my actions… I also contribute to that image.[39]

So you see, to come Jews, Israel is a big part of the problem…Never mind the fact that 6 million innocent people were murdered long before the birth of modern Israel.

TheBigOldDog on November 10, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Anybody hear about bombings in Baghdad?

Count to 10 on November 10, 2008 at 1:45 PM

rockmom on November 10, 2008 at 1:41 PM

I wish more of the American Jewish community was like your Dad. Far too many of them backed Obama. Evidently, they still see the evangelicals that are part of the Republican base as the bigger threat…

TheBigOldDog on November 10, 2008 at 1:47 PM

TheBigOldDog on November 10, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Perfectly to the point. It is a fact that some Jews supported the rise of the Third Reich believing that all the blaming the Jews talk was just talk… they thought nothing bad would happen to them because they were Germans first. By the way, Israel is the mightiest tiny country, but they DO need the US and her support! Just look at a map of the middle east!!!!

beththebaker on November 10, 2008 at 1:50 PM

beththebaker on November 10, 2008 at 1:07 PM

Now, if Ezekiel or Daniel were talking about it being doom, I’d listen.

Otherwise, forget it. Smart money is on Israel and her God.

kybowexar on November 10, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Can I get an AMEN?

thomasaur on November 10, 2008 at 1:53 PM

With Obama as POTUS, this is my message to Israel.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 10, 2008 at 1:55 PM

beththebaker on November 10, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Not to diminish the Israeli plight…

But a bunch of Catholics in my family voted for the biggest enemy of unborn human life ever to occupy the Oval Office. They didn’t listen to me, either. It’s frustrating. Hopefully we’ll be able to point it out to our family effectively when he does what we know he will do.

gippergal1984 on November 10, 2008 at 1:56 PM

TheBigOldDog on November 10, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Well, I certainly don’t presume to be a good analyst, or any analyst at all.

The Soros quote is interesting and reveals much about Soros. But I know nothing in Rahm Emanuel’s past that indicates he deserves the kind of personal pre-demonization evidenced here, especially regarding Israel. What I do know about him indicates the opposite so for now it’s only reasonable to assume he would not be the one leading a “sellout” of the Jewish people, if such a thing were to occur.

If new evidence points to the contrary I will revise my position.

Gilda on November 10, 2008 at 1:57 PM

gippergal1984 on November 10, 2008 at 1:56 PM

In no way does that diminish anyone’s plight… I know your frustration… I feel your pain.

beththebaker on November 10, 2008 at 2:01 PM

The bastards are abandoning Israel . . . things are going straight to hell.

rplat on November 10, 2008 at 2:02 PM

beththebaker on November 10, 2008 at 1:50 PM

You need to reread the account of Elisha when he prayed for his servant’s eyes to be opened while the city was surrounded.

There are more with Israel than are rallied against her. If no man on earth stood for Israel’s stead, she would not be guarded less than she is now.

She alone has the promise of God’s protection. No other nation or people have that except Abraham’s children and descendants. The Holocaust took lives, but it did not wipe out the race or the promise.

Satan still wants to play that game, but God is the one who makes the rules and controls the game.

kybowexar on November 10, 2008 at 2:05 PM

When you look at the map – you can find Israel, but when you look for Israel’s enemies throughout history, can you find them? Are they as they were?

Hittites? Egypt? Babylonians? Romans? Even the Germans?

Fastest way to end a nation is to declare against Israel. God was not making a sound bite when He said those who curse her shall be cursed.

kybowexar on November 10, 2008 at 2:09 PM

kybowexar on November 10, 2008 at 2:05 PM

If this is New Testament, I haven’t even read it once.. I think this is great and all, but the amount of anti -semitism
in Europe hasn’t been this high since WW II. The response to all these outbreaks has been more appeasement…. I can not help but fear for my people… I had many family member perish in the camps… I have family in Israel…. I have small children and I do not want to see Hitler’s plans carried out …. sorry. I hope you are right… i hope your scripture gives you comfort and confidence. I wish it could give me more….

beththebaker on November 10, 2008 at 2:14 PM

I was sure Jews would vote for McCain in greater numbers than they did. Guess the idea of HOPE AND CHANGE trumps saving your 5500 year old religion.

angryed on November 10, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Nope, it is Old Testament – I know you are Jewish and would not have been familiar with any New Testament stories.

Seriously, you need to check your own scriptures. Don’t take comfort from simply the words from the text.

Ask Him. He’s still in book. His lines are always open. Comfort and strength in times of trial and worry are His specialties.

The real thing is there is a God. He has made promises. He has not broken any promises as yet, nor will He in the future.
I worry about what may be ahead too, but I also know that He is in control. Men make choices, but ultimately He calls the shots.

kybowexar on November 10, 2008 at 2:19 PM

It’s pretty obvious that Obama, and the Democrats in general, would love nothing more than a major terrorist attack in America. This would allow them to declare martial law and seize all firearms in the nation. Remember how sad Clinton was when 9/11 didn’t happen on his watch?

We need to agree between ourselves that we will not tolerate confiscation of firearms in this nation. Be certain that the “elite” “conservatives,” such as David Frum, David Brooks, Christopher Buckley, George Will, and Kathleen Parker, will support the post-attack gun grab, in their usual phony mournful “I really hate to see this but unfortunately it’s become necessary” style. We must ignore them and stand tall.

Kenno on November 10, 2008 at 2:34 PM

I honestly haven’t read this post, because I don’t have time at the moment, so I’m not going to offer an opinion on the whole situation, other than commenting on AllahPundit’s final sentence:

All it’ll do is piss Obama off.

Yeah, cuz we all know the world is really worried about that. /sarc

RightWinged on November 10, 2008 at 2:43 PM

It’s pretty obvious you need medication.

lexhamfox on November 10, 2008 at 2:49 PM

1. Democrats always have been gung-ho for gun control, even though it has hurt them in elections.

2. Democrats have been consistently in favor of going easy on terrorists.

3. Everybody agrees that al-Qaeda wants to nuke a US city.

4. The Democrats seized the guns of New Orleans residents, an action which made little sense from a domestic political perspective (since most of the people involved would just get guns again anyway after leaving the city), but which made perfect sense as a dry run for a much bigger gun grab.

Is this medication, by any chance, a good dose of heroin, to keep me from having enough brain power to put two and two together?

Kenno on November 10, 2008 at 3:25 PM

No American would ‘love’ a terrorist attack. There is no conspiracy against gun owners in the United States. There are plenty of reasons to criticize Democrats and leftists generally but saying they want an attack to happen in order to disarm America is crap and just about everyone knows it.

lexhamfox on November 10, 2008 at 5:20 PM

lexhamfox on November 10, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Leftists despise America and everything it stands (stood) for. You are quite naive to believe otherwise.

angryed on November 10, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Love the way you always give Obama the benefit of doubt AP. Of course they threw Malley under the bus and Obama would never do something like that just out of political expedience…

Anyway, Tony Blair has revealed that he’s been in contact with Obama for months now- “about the situation in the Middle East, where Mr Blair is an envoy for the “quartet” of the US, Russia, the EU and the UN.”

“He’s also someone who has a genuine vision of how America can play a healing role in the world and has also some real sensitivity to the fact that people want America to do that.”

Obama’s been talking about the Israel issue with Blair for months- and we have no idea what else he’s been doing we don’t know about. The Syria story may turn out to be false but the reason we could believe it is that a character like Malley is hardly an unusual choice for Obama. Let’s not forget his church published Hamas propaganda. Or his cosy dinner chats with the PLO’s Khalidi. The list could go on.

Jay Mac on November 10, 2008 at 7:06 PM