Greta on the Palin smears: Carl Cameron told me, “I messed up on this one”

posted at 2:00 pm on November 10, 2008 by Allahpundit

Seven minutes on the difference between news and gossipy “schoolyard trash.” Cameron’s excuse, at least as explained by Greta, is absurd. She makes it sound like all he was trying to say was that there was sniping between the McCain and Palin factions and the Africa/NAFTA detail was merely illustrative. Go watch the clips — both of them, lest you miss his excited “Great doubts!” exclamation to O’Reilly — and judge for yourself how plausible that is. If all he was doing was offering a few examples, how come there wasn’t any dirt flung at McCain? Or is that because Palin’s allies refused to stoop to that?

Note that O’Reilly claims Cameron’s sources were eyewitnesses to everything he reported, not mere conduits. For the record, Steve Schmidt adamantly denies being a leaker. Exit quotation: “You know, I was a critic of her nomination, but everybody is entitled to some basic fairness…” Click the image to listen.

Comments

I think a lot of politicians would like to be considered ‘damaged goods’-Sarah Palin style. A 91% approval rate from your own party, 64% who would now vote for you for President, a 50 point lead over her nearest opponent and 4 years to improve her performance, and say what she truly feels, not what McCain had wanted her to echo. Yes, she is ‘damaged’, so damaged that she may beat Obama in 2012.

technopeasant on November 10, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Bush is now called the most unpopular President since polling asked the question 35 years ago. For McCain and Palin to get as close in the election as they did is nothing short of a miracle, especially running against someone whose nickname is the Messiah.

technopeasant on November 10, 2008 at 7:30 PM

I’m thinking Sarah’cuda will do just fine. She doesn’t have to “be careful” now and can be her disarmingly deadly self.

I hope you’re right. My fingers are crossed for her. This Wolfe Blitzer thing with him allowing questions from viewers is kind of a minefield too. You know they’re going to have nutty questions. She’s doing a 20 minute presser at the RGA on Thursday too. I guess she’d better get used to this stuff if she’s going to run in 2012 or 2016. I’d just rather see her wait a bit.

meltenn on November 10, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Greta has been one of the few bright spots in this election cycle. She and Cavuto are the two who will keep me turning to Fox after Brit’s departure.

I know people are ga-ga over Megyn Kelly, but she is too breathlessly quick to attack — comes across as a correspondent more than a moderator or desk anchor. Of course, as a Republochick, I am immune to some of her charms.

Y-not on November 10, 2008 at 7:40 PM

The Anchorage Daily News reports on upcoming interviews from the ‘Cuda:

“Palin spokesman Bill McAllister said the governor has turned down requests this week for television interviews with Oprah Winfrey, Barbara Walters and George Stephanopoulos of ABC, and PBS’ Charlie Rose. She’s also turned down requests to appear on Leno and Letterman. But she does plan to do interviews with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer and Larry King. Also possible? An interview with Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly, if the logistics work out. McAllister said he’s not just getting calls from bookers — he’s been getting personal requests from some of the people who want her on their shows. (Larry King left a personal message on McAllister’s voicemail.)”

meltenn on November 10, 2008 at 7:53 PM

The woman instituted a windfall profits tax, and that’s always bothered me. Populism only goes so far.

LibTired on November 10, 2008 at 4:23 PM

Alaska a bit of a special case where taxes and oil revenues are concerned. It’s cold, expensive, and often unpleasant to live up there. These policies are often necessary to maintain the infrastructure and provide added incentive for people to live there rather than in the Lower 48. You shouldn’t be too quick to apply the same standard to Alaska as you would say, Iowa.

PackerBronco on November 10, 2008 at 8:51 PM

I said it during the primaries, I’ll say it again.
P!ss on McCain and all his petty minions.

Zorro on November 10, 2008 at 9:11 PM

And last, POPULISM just elected Obama if you have not been paying attention. CHANGE populism.

Sapwolf on November 10, 2008 at 4:46 PM

I’m not sure I agree. The media, the idea that melanin = change and other countries “liking” us, and a strong anti-Bush feeling is what resonated with the majority of Obama voters. His populist rhetoric was well down the list. Remember… McCain and Palin went with populist rhetoric, too. It didn’t stick.

LibTired on November 10, 2008 at 11:13 PM

LibTired on November 10, 2008 at 4:23 PM

PackerBronco on November 10, 2008 at 8:51 PM

Sounds good to me. But she did talk a lot about giving money back to “the folks”. I’d just like to make sure it’s the right money.

I suppose my larger point is that for all we now know, she’s still an unknown. What’s her real stance on illegals/amnesty/McCainigration? We don’t even know.

LibTired on November 10, 2008 at 11:18 PM