Obama to target Bush executive orders in first days

posted at 9:38 am on November 9, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama wants to find ways to make his mark quickly in the opening days of his presidency and reverse the legacy of George W. Bush.  Obama will focus his efforts on the list of executive orders that shaped White House policy, reversing them quickly.  That does not require legislative approval, but it could bring the most contentious issues to the forefront immediately and create more polarization than post-partisanship (via Jazz Shaw):

Transition advisers to President-elect Barack Obama have compiled a list of about 200 Bush administration actions and executive orders that could be swiftly undone to reverse White House policies on climate change, stem cell research, reproductive rights and other issues, according to congressional Democrats, campaign aides and experts working with the transition team.

A team of four dozen advisers, working for months in virtual solitude, set out to identify regulatory and policy changes Obama could implement soon after his inauguration. The team is now consulting with liberal advocacy groups, Capitol Hill staffers and potential agency chiefs to prioritize those they regard as the most onerous or ideologically offensive, said a top transition official who was not permitted to speak on the record about the inner workings of the transition.

In some instances, Obama would be quickly delivering on promises he made during his two-year campaign, while in others he would be embracing Clinton-era policies upended by President Bush during his eight years in office.

One suggestion might even make sense, from a states-rights perspective.  Bush signed an EO blocking California from adopting its own emissions requirements for automobiles, apart from the federal CAFE standards.  That EO was a sop to the auto industry, but it defied federalism.  If Obama rolled back that EO, it would support the federalist principle of state sovereignty and weaken, however slightly, the Commerce Clause attack on it.

The other top two targets will enrage the pro-life lobby.  Obama plans to end the federal ban on funding for human embryonic stem-cell research (hEsc) and upend the Mexico City rule that forbids federal foreign aid to be used to promote abortion. He can expect a big controversy on both.

The hEsc order annoys researchers who can’t get money for their projects elsewhere, but that’s because the technology has surpassed hEsc.  Scientists have since developed plenipotentiary stem cells from adult tissue, ending the need to destroy embryos at all.  If hEsc really held out any promise apart from other technologies, it would not need federal funding at any rate — it would have private donors lining up to invest in it, as other stem-cell research does.

While American voters feel some ambiguity on abortion, they overwhelmingly do not want their tax dollars paying for or facilitating abortions.  The Mexico City rule forbade federal funds to be used to facilitate the acquisition of abortions by groups abroad, much as the Hyde Amendment prohibited federal funds to be used in the same manner domestically.  If Obama rescinds it, he can expect a great deal of outrage from pro-life groups and a reopening of the debate over the use of tax money to procure abortions anywhere.

These aren’t exactly low-hanging fruit, nor are they the acts of someone who professed to find middle ground between pro-life and pro-choice groups.  These are the acts of a pro-abortion absolutist, and they presage the sponsorship of Planned Parenthood’s Freedom of Choice Act.  So much for governing from the center.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

thmcbb on November 9, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Speak for yourself. Most of us here, who read conservative blogs and listen to conservative radio have been complaining about the RINO’s for years. We can only do so much though. In the end, we have only one vote.

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 1:18 PM

It’s ” Hammer (and sickle) time”.

Texyank on November 9, 2008 at 1:22 PM

When it comes to the point that the discharge of the implements of war against my aggressor is the only remaining solution… no living being on this earth will be unheard from.

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 12:48 PM

I hear you there Fozzy Bear.

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 1:25 PM

We’re hardwired to boink. And we’re NOT naturally hard wired to only want to boink one individual for life.

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 12:34 PM

There’s exactly one reason why sex is so good. We’ve been programmed to make children, and sex is the way in which that happens. We love sex, and our sperm and eggs love to mix it up and make new individuals.

Once you understand the relationship between sex and children (you do, don’t you?), it becomes less of a spontaneous thing (which is where you put it), and more of a responsible thing (which is where the rest of us put it).

As you yourself point out, abstinence works; it’s the ONLY way which does 100% — with every other way, you have a nonzero probability of causing a child.

Which brings us to abortion. That’s the only way to reduce the probability of causing a child back down to zero in the absence of abstinence — by killing the resulting child before it comes to term.

We aren’t so anti-sex as anti-killing. You can have the sex, but you better be prepared to care for the resulting child.

Consider young Ms. Palin and her boyfriend. They had the sex, they rolled the dice, and now they’re prepared to care. Good.

I once read an article in the LA Times about a law student who became pregnant by a casual encounter of the type you envision, and aborted. She did it because the child would have been an inconvenience — would have ruined her life in her eyes. I take it that, in your world, killing inconvenient children is a parental right, and is of little consequence?

In our world, it is not.

unclesmrgol on November 9, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Long, but brilliant interview with Russian KGB defector on where our country is headed… and apparently has been for some time.

Chilling.

redfoxbluestate on November 9, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Fantastically Frightening! A wake up call to all of us!

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 12:40 PM
my wife has the 8 week old embryo to prove it…

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

And I second everything else you have said. I am presently the mom to a 14 year old girl, and her father and I have stressed to her (and her brother as well), that sex has consequences. Some are good, some are bad. But you better be willing to take the bad with the good. We have told her that if and when she thinks she ‘adult’ enough to have sex, she had better be ‘adult’ enough to pay the piper with whatever else may come her way…
At this point we can only pray that we have gotten though.

pcbedamned on November 9, 2008 at 1:26 PM

That made me cry. God bless you, these are hard times.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Amen. I’m a reader at Mass, and I have to confess that it was very difficult to do my service yesterday, realizing that so many of my fellows in the pews before me had chosen to turn their backs on the unborn the way that I know they did this week.

I feel real despair about this. I don’t know if I can stay in a church that chooses to elevate Leftist Democrat politics above the catechism.

Kensington on November 9, 2008 at 1:27 PM

About 1,450 days left to kick Obama out of the white house; I just joined site to impeach him now

tocoloro on November 9, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Can you tell the site? I want to sign on there too! Anything to get rid of him!

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 1:30 PM

unclesmrgol on November 9, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Possibly a case where abstinence teaching didn’t work. I agree with teaching teenagers to not have sex, but given that some teenagers don’t listen (about sex and many other issues) having them understand how contraception can reduce the risk of pregnancy is better for the family.

dedalus on November 9, 2008 at 1:31 PM

A Axe on November 9, 2008 at 1:13 PM

That was a different thread and you obviously weren’t getting enough attention there. If you could bring yourself up to speed on this current discussion please. Besides, Penn is an uneducated actor with a crush on all things socialistic. What he thinks is not important.
P.S. his father was blacklisted for being a communist sympathizer. those were the days :)

thomasaur on November 9, 2008 at 1:33 PM

America voted for a pathological narcissist cipher as its next president – now, she wonders “what happened”?

Schadenfreude on November 9, 2008 at 1:34 PM

He does not have to hurry — even with the EOs

Excuses for lousy results and slow progress are already being made.

“Our climb will be steep,” he said. “We may not get there in one year or even in one term.”

Quote of election night comments made by Obama in AP article.

IlikedAUH2O on November 9, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Obama is

“…. most onerous and ideologically offensive”

to me…………

Seven Percent Solution on November 9, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 12:40 PM
my wife has the 8 week old embryo to prove it…

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

At this point we can only pray that we have gotten though.

pcbedamned on November 9, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Congrats to Fozzy Bear and his Wife.
Beautiful post and morals that pcbedamned had said. Is how I feel and have told my son as well. His father gave me a bunch of money to abort him years ago. He dropped me off at Planned Parent Hood one morning. I went in so he could see. Then I sat in a chair. Waited about 10 minutes and went and bough paternity clothes. Went home and said nothing. He thought he was rid of the problem. Then, when I started showing, I told him that this baby would be the only child I could conceive. He beat me, but the son that I carried was born two days before my birthday. That was when I wasn’t even 18. I am now 51, and he was the only baby that god gave me. No regrets at all. He is a part of me.

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Chilling.

redfoxbluestate on November 9, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Chilling is an understatement. HotAir needs to post that video and it’s needs to go viral.

darwin on November 9, 2008 at 1:37 PM

oops typo bought! And I re read it before hitting submit.

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 1:38 PM

unclesmrgol on November 9, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Here! Here! Sex as recreation and entertainment is devoid of any true emotion or connection. I speak from experience. In my youth, I fell prey to the empty practice of casual sexual encounters. Never did it lead to satisfaction. Most often it led to self disgust, loneliness, disappointment and despair and, sadly, in one case an abortion. So when I speak, it is not with an idealist’s voice, but with knowledge and regret.

With God’s grace, I have been with my husband for 27 years. There is no comparison. Sex with someone who loves you, who respects you and who has committed his entire life to you is profoundly fulfilling, satisfying and pleasurable. Children are the icing on the cake.

The truth is that women want a lasting relationship. Every sexual encounter carries the underlying hope that this is the “one”. The culture may have convinced us that we are sexually free, but our actions speak to a different truth.

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 1:41 PM

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 1:37 PM

My heart just grew a thousand times!

thomasaur on November 9, 2008 at 1:42 PM

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Wiping away tears…. just beautiful, Sheebe. Bless you and your son!

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 1:42 PM

( Jvette) with all due respect it,s not enought to read,listen and complain .We must be willing to fight and carry our word to all people and turn our one vote into many.This is not a put down of you or other fine conservatives.But this is war and the future of our country for our children and grand children .God Bless

thmcbb on November 9, 2008 at 1:44 PM

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 1:37 PM

You brought tears to my eyes. God Bless you :)

pcbedamned on November 9, 2008 at 1:45 PM

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 1:37 PM

God bless you, dear woman.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 1:45 PM

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 1:37 PM

How I wish I had made the same choice as you. Alas, the easy availability of abortion, the “knowledge” that it was only a bunch of tissue, and the veneer of morality implied by its legitimacy were enough to overcome any qualms I may have had.

But, I cannot undo what has been done, so I fight to save others from falling into the same fallacious pit. It is not guilt which motivates me, as some might suggest, but love of God and love of neighbor. There is nothing so evil that God cannot bring good from it. I am consoled with the hope that my actions and prayers may have saved even one innocent.

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Since I’m a pro-choice Republican these two items don’t particularly bother me, but I am looking forward to seeing what Obama-shill Douglas Kmiec has to say about the Dear Leader now.

Jill1066 on November 9, 2008 at 1:54 PM

thomasaur on November 9, 2008 at 1:42 PMbeththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 1:42 PMpcbedamned on November 9, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Bless you all too,
Is not so bad though. My husband of 8 years have taken the anger out of my heart. I carried that for years among other bitterness. He made me realize that I held others with hate and spite. He never said a word though. I figured it out. Corrected those use less burdens. Wanted to become the woman that was inside and hiding. Takes at times the bad things, to make the good things. All the sorrow and bitterness has vanished. Just to be more wiser. And to connect with positiveness and people. Not bad to share though. Show that we are human. And some had to take that chance. No matter the outcome.

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 1:54 PM

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 1:54 PM

When I grow up, I want to be just like you…:)
Prayers coming your way.

pcbedamned on November 9, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Congrats to Fozzy Bear and his Wife.

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 1:37 PM

You, my dear, are an honorable and courageous woman.
My youngest daughter got pregnant in her sophomore year of high school – she was terrified to tell my husband and I, and I was in a state of denial, so she didn’t start getting prenatal care until June. My darling grandson, Dylan, was born the day before his mother’s junior year of high school began. She missed two days, went back to school on Wednesday, and went on to graduate with her class in 2006. While I wish she had waited, I can’t imagine not having Dylan around – his daddy and mommy are still together (he’s the only boy she’s ever dated), he just finished law enforcement training and is a rookie police officer, and she’s getting ready to start training to be a dispatcher.

uncivilized on November 9, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Lifting the restrictions on stem cell research will receive broad support. Abortion measures will always be controversial, but abortion restriction measures lost across the country this week. If you can’t get an abortion ban in South Dakota, good luck luck getting it most anywhere else. The Bush administration has tended to bundle abortion with contraception in terms of foreign aid, and if Obama moves to support contraception but not abortion then that too will win broad support.

okonkolo on November 9, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Ultimately, this was not the unforgiveable sin, not in God’s eyes. I see that it has grieved you but from that grief have come the remarkable words you have written here today. You are making a difference, I guarantee you. God bless you always.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 2:03 PM

thomasaur on November 9, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Same thing. You whine about Penn saying how Obama is ‘his’ president, and then you whine the exact same way.

Either yo uare both whiners or not. Take your choice.

A Axe on November 9, 2008 at 2:08 PM

At this point we can only pray that we have gotten though.

pcbedamned on November 9, 2008 at 1:26 PM

There is this amazing product called ‘condoms’. If only you social cons didn’t insist on imagining they don’t exist and kids won’t ever have sex.

A Axe on November 9, 2008 at 2:10 PM

darwin on November 9, 2008 at 1:37 PM

I got cold chills. He absolutely described what has already happened. I am sending this to all my friends.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 2:11 PM

…and so the Socialism starts.

tx2654 on November 9, 2008 at 2:19 PM

When I grow up, I want to be just like you…:)
Prayers coming your way.

pcbedamned on November 9, 2008 at 1:58 PM

I am so touched by your words. Wonderful people on here. Prayers to all on here too.:)

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 2:21 PM

uncivilized on November 9, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Thank you first of all. Am touched on how proud you are of you daughter, and the father. You stuck together, and have a grandson. Babies have a way of bringing the good and togetherness in families. Families need to start growing together and not apart from a mistake. Needs to be more like you in this world.

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 2:24 PM

What is missing in this excellent conversation is the need for revelation of Obama’s true political aspirations. Those of us that managed to read, listen and learn about Obama absent any assistance from the fawning media have rightly concluded that we are entering a period of mortal danger for our republic. This is not hyperbole and those who have examined his associations and participations cannot conclude otherwise. However, we have crossed an important threshold that we may not reverse. He is the President-elect (or soon will be). Don’t pin your hopes on some pie-in-the-sky birth certificate surprise at the last moment – not going to happen, wish it would but you know about wishes. There has to be a period of discovery by the American populace as to what they have done to their country by electing this traitor. Only by his actions can we ever hope to build the necessary groundswell of dissent that will cast him and his supporters from our midst. We must, as a whole nation, confront this crisis. If we do not, we can expect a minimum of an 8 year rule by Obama. If we are successful in exposing his true intentions, we may have the chance of regaining Congress in two years. If someone like Stanley Kurtz is able to put together sufficient facts of criminal behavior in the conduct of the campaign it may be over in less than two. Birth Certificate – no. Credit card fraud – maybe.

Bring on the EO’s fast and furious, Barry. Let’s see what you’ve got.

I’m off to put a nice polish on my pitchfork and tighten the wadding on my torch. Suggest you folks do the same.

turfmann on November 9, 2008 at 2:25 PM

A Axe on November 9, 2008 at 2:10 PM

I would love to hear the stats on how many abortions there are because ‘the condom broke’.

Aside from that, my kids, both my daughter AND my son, are well versed in the various methods of birth control. And they received the information from their father and I – not the school system. If you honestly think that all conservatives do is tell their kids that abstinence is the only way, you are more of a fool then I am willing to waste any more time on.
Good day…

pcbedamned on November 9, 2008 at 2:26 PM

I was just thinking this morning that I needed another glimmer of hope given that the country just elected a man who may take America in a direction that many will be very uncomfortable with, and rightly so.

I was hanging on to silly things like the NY Times may turn on him and unleash a rush of bad press. Or that Chris Matthews may be fired or demoted to the likes of Jack Cafferty. Or that the Jesse Jackson will start screaming if the welfare checks don’t arrive soon. These are my little fantasies that have gotten me through the week.

But when I read the heartfelt and intelligent words of many of you, I realize that I can firmly hold on to the most important and real concept that the majority of the people in this country are good, honorable, moral and strong as hell. That will make all the differnce in the world.

sherry on November 9, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Bless your heart Jvette. I would never put one down. Especially when one can over come. From your words you realize. That is what is important. The Man up stairs knows this. Regardless of faults on anyone. The fact that you see it differently, you are rewarded. You put your words beautifully. One can’t and should not judge of others. Just share their experiences. Let them decide what road they will walk down. I am overcome by the passion that this site has. Sorry if I am not putting words to good. Tears are clouding my keyboard. Good tears though.

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Good day…

pcbedamned on November 9, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Oh right, because I day criticize someone I must ‘not’ be a conservative. Lets hear it for name-calling!

Fact of the matter is that the entire push in the last 8 years was of abstinence. Kids have sex. And not just once, but over and over and over. Abstinence only was a stupid movement – real conservatives call for intelligence, the idiocy that was Bush calle dfor ‘sticking head into ground’

A Axe on November 9, 2008 at 2:31 PM

A Axe on November 9, 2008 at 2:10 PM

That is a joke. Condoms have caused more pregnancies than any other form of birth control. Most boys, men don’t know how to put them on. This is a ignorant comparison.

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Fact of the matter is that the entire push in the last 8 years was of abstinence. Kids have sex. And not just once, but over and over and over. Abstinence only was a stupid movement – real conservatives call for intelligence, the idiocy that was Bush calle dfor ’sticking head into ground’

A Axe on November 9, 2008 at 2:31 PM

What can one expect from a hateful troll. Your grammar and spelling is pathetic!

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Amen. I don’t know that much about the Catholic faith but I saw a website the other day Cathlolics for prochoice or some such. I don’t understand how that can be. I always thought Catholics were so strongly pro-life. What happened?

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Catholics can be bought too.

Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 11:48 AM

50% of people who identify themselves as catholics are what is often referred to as “social” catholics. Catholicism is not their religion. The simply identify themselves as catholic for ethnic and social reasons (they were born in Ireland, their parents identified themselves as catholics, etc.) The do not got to church or practice the religion. The church cannot do anything about this, people can call themselves whatever they want. All the church can do is specify what is required to be a Catholic in good standing. Supporting abortion, or pro-abortion candidates, separates a person from the church, they are no longer Catholics in union with the church. Thus it is not accurate to say that many Catholics (from a religion perspective) voted for Obama. Some did but they did so in opposition to the teachings of the church and at their own peril.

neuquenguy on November 9, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Tears are clouding my keyboard. Good tears though.

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Me too. I am surrounded by good people on this board. I’m heartened also at the passion and decency. Those of you who have made the tough, right decisions are an inspiration to me–a mom of young kids.

hoosiermama on November 9, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Sorry,..link broken,..here’s article:

The night we waved goodbye to America… our last best hope on Earth Last updated at 9:52 PM on 08th November 2008

Anyone would think we had just elected a hip, skinny and youthful replacement for God, with a plan to modernize Heaven and Hell – or that at the very least John Lennon had come back from the dead.

The swooning frenzy over the choice of Barack Obama as President of the United States must be one of the most absurd waves of self-deception and swirling fantasy ever to sweep through an advanced civilization. At least Mandela-worship – its nearest equivalent – is focused on a man who actually did something.

I really don’t see how the Obama devotees can ever in future mock the Moonies, the Scientologists or people who claim to have been abducted in flying saucers. This is a cult like the one which grew up around Princess Diana, bereft of reason and hostile to facts.

It already has all the signs of such a thing. The newspapers which recorded Obama’s victory have become valuable relics. You may buy Obama picture books and Obama calendars and if there isn’t yet a children’s picture version of his story, there soon will be.

Proper books, recording his sordid associates, his cowardly voting record, his astonishingly militant commitment to unrestricted abortion and his blundering trip to Africa, are little-read and hard to find.

If you can believe that this undistinguished and conventionally Left-wing machine politician is a sort of secular saviour, then you can believe anything. He plainly doesn’t believe it himself. His cliche-stuffed, PC clunker of an acceptance speech suffered badly from nerves. It was what you would expect from someone who knew he’d promised too much and that from now on the easy bit was over.

He needn’t worry too much. From now on, the rough boys and girls of America’s Democratic Party apparatus, many recycled from Bill Clinton’s stained and crumpled entourage, will crowd round him, to collect the rich spoils of his victory and also tell him what to do, which is what he is used to.
Just look at his sermon by the shores of Lake Michigan. He really did talk about a ‘new dawn’, and a ‘timeless creed’ (which was ‘yes, we can’). He proclaimed that ‘change has come’. He revealed that, despite having edited the Harvard Law Review, he doesn’t know what ‘enormity’ means. He reached depths of oratorical drivel never even plumbed by our own Mr Blair, burbling about putting our hands on the arc of history (or was it the ark of history?) and bending it once more toward the hope of a better day (Don’t try this at home).

I am not making this up. No wonder that awful old hack Jesse Jackson sobbed as he watched. How he must wish he, too, could get away with this sort of stuff.

And it was interesting how the President-elect failed to lift his admiring audience by repeated – but rather hesitant – invocations of the brainless slogan he was forced by his minders to adopt against his will – ‘Yes, we can’. They were supposed to thunder ‘Yes, we can!’ back at him, but they just wouldn’t join in. No wonder. Yes we can what exactly? Go home and keep a close eye on the tax rate, is my advice. He’d have been better off bursting into ‘I’d like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony’ which contains roughly the same message and might have attracted some valuable commercial sponsorship.

Perhaps, being a Chicago crowd, they knew some of the things that 52.5 per cent of America prefers not to know. They know Obama is the obedient servant of one of the most squalid and unshakable political machines in America. They know that one of his alarmingly close associates, a state-subsidized slum landlord called Tony Rezko, has been convicted on fraud and corruption charges.

They also know the US is just as segregated as it was before Martin Luther King – in schools, streets, neighbourhoods, holidays, even in its TV-watching habits and its choice of fast-food joint. The difference is that it is now done by unspoken agreement rather than by law.

If Mr Obama’s election had threatened any of that, his feel-good white supporters would have scuttled off and voted for John McCain, or practically anyone. But it doesn’t. Mr Obama, thanks mainly to the now-departed grandmother he alternately praised as a saint and denounced as a racial bigot, has the huge advantages of an expensive private education. He did not have to grow up in the badlands of useless schools, shattered families and gangs which are the lot of so many young black men of his generation.

If the nonsensical claims made for this election were true, then every positive discrimination programme aimed at helping black people into jobs they otherwise wouldn’t get should be abandoned forthwith. Nothing of the kind will happen. On the contrary, there will probably be more of them.

And if those who voted for Obama were all proving their anti-racist nobility, that presumably means that those many millions who didn’t vote for him were proving themselves to be hopeless bigots. This is obviously untrue.
Yes we can what?: Barack Obama ran on the ticket of change

I was in Washington DC the night of the election. America’s beautiful capital has a sad secret. It is perhaps the most racially divided city in the world, with 15th Street – which runs due north from the White House – the unofficial frontier between black and white. But, like so much of America, it also now has a new division, and one which is in many ways much more important. I had attended an election-night party in a smart and liberal white area, but was staying the night less than a mile away on the edge of a suburb where Spanish is spoken as much as English, plus a smattering of tongues from such places as Ethiopia, Somalia and Afghanistan.

As I walked, I crossed another of Washington’s secret frontiers. There had been a few white people blowing car horns and shouting, as the result became clear. But among the Mexicans, Salvadorans and the other Third World nationalities, there was something like ecstasy.

christene on November 9, 2008 at 2:42 PM

hoosiermama on November 9, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Is all the more reason to think of the Children s future. My Grand kids, I so am having a hard time. I want to know that all children will be safe. Not have to face a Country that might not be the same. Children have expectations that are a bit unfair for them. Grade Schools are pushing way to many issues on them. Causing more fear and anguish. Which way do they go? If not for us, for our children. They are the ones that will continue on.

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 2:42 PM

the america people deserve it for being so materialistic and caring more for the pockebook than for political freedom and ideals

I thought you folks were capitalists? That’s sounding awful commie.

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Like in several other subjects, you display a very superficial and immature understanding of conservatives.
Conservatives believe in the free market economy, capitalism, because it is the economic system that supports individual liberty. Supporting capitalism doesn’t mean that one cannot believe that making consumerism, and the accumulation of wealth the center of one’s life, is wrong. The reality is that people in this country have been trading freedom for financial security for a long time, and that eventually leaves us pretty close to socialism or some other form of statism, as we are witnessing.

neuquenguy on November 9, 2008 at 2:44 PM

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Most seem to know how to put one on (it is pretty simple), however, most don’t want to and would prefer the woman use birth control since the sensation is better. Relying on more than one type of contraception is a good idea. Telling teenagers not to have sex is also a good idea.

dedalus on November 9, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Kensington on November 9, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Choose another parish, or, better, instruct them. It isn’t you that has deserted the Church — they have. It’s like that Catholic priest, Athanase Seromba, who, with the aid of other Hutu Catholics, participated in the Rwandan genocide by calling Hutu militias down on 1,500 Tutsis who had taken refuge in his church. He was certainly not representing the Church or our Lord (he refused to offer Mass for the Tutsi Catholics who requested it of him), but instead represented someone altogether different.

We are in those times here, where people say the words but do not understand them. Remember, being a good Catholic is easy; those who bear the yoke of sin surely will feel it in the end.

unclesmrgol on November 9, 2008 at 2:45 PM

I so agree that the members of this forum are the true exceptionalism of America.

Thank you for your uplifting words. I have never regretted putting my faith in Christ, and being counted as one who loves him. Though things seem bleak, God has promised us that it is always darkest before the dawn. Dawn is coming, we have seen its glimmer in this election as more and more stand up for God, Country and Family. Remember that which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Good-bye for now, I have been blessed by this discourse between good and intelligent patriots. I look forward to many more. Obama cannot/will not silence it.

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 2:47 PM

neuquenguy on November 9, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Good points. Democracy and Christianity require some curbs on pure capitalism.

dedalus on November 9, 2008 at 2:48 PM

dedalus on November 9, 2008 at 2:44 PM

I agree whole heatedly. :)

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 2:50 PM

There is no logical argument you can propagate that can rationally justify the homicide of the voiceless and defenseless unborn.

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 1:06 PM

The majority of Americans have rationalized it, or at least decided that they don’t want the government involved with the decision.

dedalus on November 9, 2008 at 1:09 PM

rationalized yes… logically… that remains to be proven.

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 2:50 PM

A Axe on November 9, 2008 at 2:31 PM

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 2:34 PM

want to stop it? reinstate the consequences of pregnancy… stop giving kids the ability to protect their stupidy with a condom or BC…

removing negative consequences leads to rapid adoption… that’s is an intelligent conservative argument unlike your half-backed effort.

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 2:53 PM

A Axe on November 9, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Good day…

pcbedamned on November 9, 2008 at 2:26 PM

I love this one… i’ve never had a condom break… ever… only tools break condoms… no sex is that rough that it breaks… if it is… it can’t be comfortable for the woman…

yet another example of how stupid people can be while in the midst of thinking their invincible…

idiots… yet another argument for waiting until you’re old enough… when my dad taught me how to drive… he emphasized ad nauseum the need to be “smooth”. same rule applies here.

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 2:57 PM

neuquenguy on November 9, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Good points. Democracy and Christianity require some curbs on pure capitalism.

dedalus on November 9, 2008 at 2:48 PM

i’m not sure what you mean… but freedom is not the problem… liberty is always the answer… it’s the imperative of the individual to choose wisely… when that breaks down… as it has… we’re screwed… you can’t legislate personal ethics and morality. it has to be taught, or dare I say it, indoctrinated.

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Libs see progress; “I see dead people.”

deedledee on November 9, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Well that is about what I expected and I am actually happy to see it. I prefer that President-Elect Obama be true to who he really is rather then try and pretend to be a centerest. The is a difference between talking the talk and walking the walk and now the people will see what kind of leader they picked to lead this country for the next four years…come 2012 they will be in a position to choose again but this time armed with an actual track record instead of smoke and mirrors

Kidd on November 9, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Pro-choice advocates have a legitimate issue, and it can be easily summed up:

Women should be able to control their own body, and men have used pregnancy as a way to control women in the past. (Of course women have also used it to control men, but we’ll ignore that for now).

I would be more sympathetic to the pro-choice position if abortion was the only means of a woman controlling her body, but it is not. A woman has access to many other options including abstinence, birth control, and adoption (which while not eliminating the difficulties of pregnancy and birth, would relive the woman of caring for the child for the next 18+ years).

Therefore I can not agree that abortion is essential to a woman’s “right to choose”, (except in the case of rape).

On the other hand the pro-life forces also have a very moving argument that can also be easily summed up:

A mother should not kill her baby.

Those seven words right their encapsulate how incredibly evil and depraved abortion is. I have yet to hear a good answer from the pro-choice forces to this argument. Just obstinate insistence the fetuses are nothing more than lumps of flesh. Perhaps if they made the concession that abortion should be confined to before the quickening (the first trimester, before the baby begins to move in the womb), I might consider their belief sincere. However, no one who has ever felt a baby kick against the mothers stomach can honestly say that that is just a lump of flesh.

The refusal of the American people to face the truth of this matter is an indictment of our moral character as a people. As serious a sin as that of slavery.

And I say that as a man with strong libertarian leanings. I supported Romney in the primaries, and my main complaint about McCain was his attacks on the freedom of speech, so don’t try to paint me as some one issue extremist, because there are a lot of issue that I care about. However, Abortion is just too stark an issue to be argued without harsh language.

Sackett on November 9, 2008 at 3:27 PM

“I’m not sure all of this gnashing of teeth and rending of clothing is productive, but I am afraid that may be all we CAN do going forward. The difference being now we can do it in an open forum. In the future we may not be able to.”

If I couldn’t gnash my teeth and rend my clothing here and other places, I think I would go into abject depression.

Actually, I think I would start an underground and become a revolutionary and die for the cause. I really do.

Alana on November 9, 2008 at 3:44 PM

asd

Sonosam on November 9, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Alana on November 9, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Me too! Way things are going. I see that not to far. Hope I am wrong.

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 3:50 PM

It will be like we are living in the movie “Invasion of the Body Snatchers”

—–

OMG YES. This is just what I have been thinking throughout this! I’ve got a friend, who lives in another city, who called me to talk about this “wonderful new world” we are now going to have! All of a sudden! Like magic! And hurt and not understanding why I didn’t agree.

And I was thinking, omg, they got to her!

And that made me think about Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

It’s like, people you thought you knew have been taken over, and their brains have disappeared.

Have any of you thought, as I have, that this is the weirdest thing you have ever lived through?

Alana on November 9, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Obama will stop drilling in the US so we can still depend for oil from the arab dogs and force the US to abandon Israel so that the bastards can destroy Israel

tocoloro on November 9, 2008 at 4:10 PM

And I was thinking, omg, they got to her!

And that made me think about Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Alana on November 9, 2008 at 3:51 PM

I feel same way. There was this lady, I kind of know her. She was a staunch McCain supporter. Then my friend who lives next door. Had me come over. She was totally opposite. Others I know, thought they were Conservatives, have so much hate. They want things given to them. Voted for err The Dictator. They talk like zombies! Their eyes are empty. Scary indeed. Brains are on hold.

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Sackett on November 9, 2008 at 3:27 PM

You said it!

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 4:13 PM

For the last 45 years, the american people have been indoctrinated into communism in our colleges and universities; you are now seeing the results; all spheres of the american life have been infiltrated by communism.

tocoloro on November 9, 2008 at 4:14 PM

even if the racist communist Obama won the election, 56 million americans rejected him

tocoloro on November 9, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Obama will meet with the Russian prime minister to arrange the surrender of the US and the taking of communism of the american governemnt

tocoloro on November 9, 2008 at 4:18 PM

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 2:59 PM

I agree with you, in this case I was using freedom and liberty interchangeably. I was simply supporting the point made previously that excessive focus in comfort and security can lead to the loss of rights as we turn over more of those right to the state, or to politicians who promise to make life easier for us.

neuquenguy on November 9, 2008 at 4:19 PM

unclesmrgol on November 9, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Except that abstinence is easily the most difficult method of contraception to practice, particularly when our own instincts, which are as old as our species has existed, are fighting against us.

I don’t like abortion. I would prefer to overturn Roe V. Wade, but only for the sake of allowing states to determine their laws on abortion via federalist principles. I’m not going to tell someone they can’t have an abortion, and I would probably vote in favor of keeping them legal in my state. However, I would look down on those who choose to do so in the same way that I look down on those who legally choose to become alcoholics, or do other irresponsible activities protected by law.

But quit feeding the abstinence stuff. You could make the same argument that a car will never crash as long as it is never driven. Saying that it works as long as it’s practiced is recursive and ridiculous.

MadisonConservative on November 9, 2008 at 4:22 PM

“President-elect Obama plans to use his executive powers to make an immediate impact when he takes office…perhaps reversing Bush administration policies on domestic drilling for oil and natural gas.”

Hmmm…I thought Obama was going to help the poor people in this nation so they can afford to pay their bills. This statement will likely cause market speculators to drive gas prices up again. Energy prices will also rise. Maybe he is doing this so he can tax the “windfall profits” of the American-based companies.

Of course, the news media is in love with him, so they’ll see this allegedly pro-environment decision as a good thing.

jediwebdude on November 9, 2008 at 4:26 PM

thmcbb on November 9, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Your are right, but let me illustrate my point. I discussed this election many times with people on the other side of the political spectrum. I gave them information, pointed them to sites with solid conservative opinions and showed as false, many of their beliefs and understandings of how best to govern our country. I cannot cast their vote for them, I can only cast my own. I was not advocating passive resistance, merely saying that we do what we can but it all comes down to the vote, and each of us is legally allowed only one.

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 2:59 PM

neuquenguy on November 9, 2008 at 4:19 PM

cool man, i got ya now… lol

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Indeed. At best the pro-choice advocates will argue that we don’t when a fetus becomes human infant. At worst, they concede that it is a human being but still argue that a mother should have the right to kill her unborn child. The former case is morally indefensible because if we are in doubt we should err on the side of not killing an innocent human being. In the latter case, the logic breaks down because if it is OK to kill an unborn baby here is no reason for it not to be OK to kill a born baby, convoluted arguments about the baby depending on the mother to subsists notwithstanding.

neuquenguy on November 9, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Hey, folks, good news!

The pastor of St. Thomas More Church in Bethel Park, PA prayed today at Mass in front of about 500 parishoners that we all unite behind our new president, Barack Obama, and pray for the success of his administration. And, no, I am not kidding.

jay12 on November 9, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Hey, folks, good news!

jay12 on November 9, 2008 at 4:56 PM

YEAH, GREAT! RALLY BEHIND THE MASSACRE OF THE UNBORN!!! IGNORANCE IS BLISS!!! AMEN, PREACHER!

I certainly hope he doesn’t mean we should support this agenda… if so, he’s a scourge to all of us that are ministers.

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 5:03 PM

jay12 on November 9, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Looking for a new church jay12?

thomasaur on November 9, 2008 at 5:06 PM

(Jvette)I think you are among the best our side has to wage this fight.We all must stand togather to fight this battle.Even in the worst of days when all else fails and we can not see the light at the end of the tunnel we must fight on.I will be there with you and the rest and i promise that one day the true consev. party of Reagan will rise again to strike fear into the hearts of the far left dems & Libs. God Bless

thmcbb on November 9, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Hey, folks, good news!

jay12 on November 9, 2008 at 4:56 PM

No much different from what many conservative bloggers and pundits are advocating. I just hope we don’t just sweep all the stuff that went on on this election under the rug. Because if do not deal with it our republic is in trouble.

neuquenguy on November 9, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Yes, his methods are so dangerous and his agenda is so radical and anti-life that we cannot take the attitude that even our own hosts here at HA are advocating, which says he won fair and square and we have to give him his turn and his due. This cannot be business as usual. We need to be more motivated than ever in opposition.

neuquenguy on November 9, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Punk

oakpack on November 9, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Sackett on November 9, 2008 at 3:27 PM

First, it is not her body an abortion affects, it is that of her baby.

Second, it is always wrong for people to be used as pawns for the control of others, to gain power or to satisfy an urge. That is what maniacal despots do.

These “arguments” for legalized, unfettered abortion are nothing more than red herrings. You speak of harsh language. Well here is a stark truth. It is never acceptable for anyone, man or woman, to destroy the life of an unborn human being for any reason. Just as it is unacceptable that I should kill my neighbor because his dog’s barking inconveniences my sleep. Or to kill my brothers and sisters so that I will not have to share our inheritance(after all they stand in the way of my prosperity). Or to kill a politician because he desires to ruin my lifestyle.

Your feminist reasoning belies the rest of your post as pabulum. I gladly wear the mantle of “one issue voter”. Yep, proudly too. Life, first, last and only. All other issues are diminished by the stark evil of abortion.

Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness. And all these things will be added unto you. When did Jesus proclaim this? Right after he told us to worry not what we shall eat nor wear and to not worry about tomorrow, as today has its own worries.

Truly, if a sparrow cannot fall from the sky without His notice, do you believe that 50,000,000 babies being slaughtered in the womb is happening without the notice of the Creator and lover of life?

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 5:18 PM

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 2:32 PM

And what supports that – your own lack of knowledge?

And if they don’t know how to put them on – WE SHOULD BE TEACHING THEM. Thanks for proving my own point :)

A Axe on November 9, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Yes, because we have obviously been doing something else for the last 8 years.

Oh wait no – failed abstinence-only policies of the last 8 years. Time to try something new (like I dunno – maybe actually educating our children on the consequences of sex).

What a novel idea – education!

A Axe on November 9, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Hey lefties…enjoy your wet dreams become nightmarish reality.

Black Adam on November 9, 2008 at 5:27 PM

MadisonConservative on November 9, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Would you at least vote to kill these babies in a human way and anesthetize them before they are ripped apart in their mother’s womb? after all, we have laws to dictate the humane treatment of animals. And would you vote to extend the right of the mothers to kill their babies until say, one year of age?

neuquenguy on November 9, 2008 at 5:31 PM

thmcbb on November 9, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Thank you, but I think that is true of the vast majority of posters on this forum. The worst thing we can do is lie down and take what Obama’s got coming for us.

As I see it, McCain ran a campaign. Obama ran a guerrilla war. McCain diligently walked his ten paces in this duel of ideas, Obama let his seconds shoot to kill.

I agree with Michelle Backmann, if we must go down, let it be swinging. If we are to lose, let us not go quietly. If we want to win, let us go for the jugular. This is a fight, not a dance. Obama gets no free pass from us. We will make him account for his every action, justify his every order and pay for his every mistake. For too many years, Republican elected officials let the radicals frame the debate and make outrageous claims against our president and our troops. They let them obfuscate the truth without challenge and they shook their hands in friendship without feeling the knife the radicals stuck in their backs.

For too many years we have let these cowards be our voice. If one good thing comes of this election, I pray that it will be that Americans, proud of this country and true to the ideals of her founding, will speak up and out. LOUDLY! and PROUDLY! God Bless the USA

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 5:37 PM

Would you at least vote to kill these babies in a humane way…? sorry for the typo.

neuquenguy on November 9, 2008 at 5:31 PM

neuquenguy on November 9, 2008 at 5:37 PM

Looking for a new church jay12?

thomasaur on November 9, 2008 at 5:06 PM

It’s not easy. I called the Diocese of Pittsburgh’s diocesan spokesperson’s office and asked for a list of the parishes in the diocese that are pro-life. The secretary called me back and was told to say they all are. I disagreed with the answer. She said she would have a priest call me. That was over a week ago.

jay12 on November 9, 2008 at 5:37 PM

It seems as though suddenly knowing when human life deserves legal protection is NOT above BO’s paygrade. Only babies born whose mommies want them to be born deserve legal protection.

Mojave Mark on November 9, 2008 at 5:39 PM

A Axe on November 9, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Liberal control of sex education has had the same outcome as liberal control of education overall, i.e. a dumbed down electorate making choices that result in death and destruction.

You can keep your kind of education. I will take care of my own and that of my children’s. At least then I can trust it will result in patriotic Americans, schooled in history, prepared to live out the true American promise of individual liberty, individual responsibility and individual reward.

Abstinence works one hundred percent of the time. As they say of so many other things, it is not that abstinence has been tried and found wanting, it has never been tried.

Oh and by the way, smug pomposity is frowned upon here.

Good bye again all. I have to travel to attend my mother-in-law’s funeral so I will be away for awhile. God Bless all you great Americans out there. Keep up the good fight. :)

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 5:48 PM

Please tell me this was asked tongue in cheek.

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 5:50 PM

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 5:48 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. Have a safe journey.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 5:53 PM

“Sane” people will think we’re crazy for being concerned about our 1st and 2nd amendment rights. The silver tongued messiah will lull them into a sense of complacency and our rights will be slowly eroded. Any “conservative” that cast a ballot for “that one” or stayed home is a fool. No, we didn’t have the best candidate, but I have no doubt that the country we love will end up in worse shape following this administration than we would have under his opponent’s.

The good news is that gun sales are up, from the anecdotal evidence I’ve heard, sales are way up. I know I purchased my first firearm this weekend and I plan on buying 2 or 3 more before that sad day in January when “that one” is in control.

I realize federal constitution has language within the 2nd amendment that allows gun opponents room to argue the point. Our PA Constitution, Article 1 section 21 is so much clearer. It reads:

Right to Bear Arms
Section 21.
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

We must strive to ensure that the 2010 mid-terms bring a wave of freedom loving, Constitution revering members of the legislative branch — who cares what party they come from as long as they share those simple ideals. It’s not enough to hope, we must make this happen or the country we love will be a vastly different place.

crashland on November 9, 2008 at 5:56 PM