Obama to target Bush executive orders in first days

posted at 9:38 am on November 9, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama wants to find ways to make his mark quickly in the opening days of his presidency and reverse the legacy of George W. Bush.  Obama will focus his efforts on the list of executive orders that shaped White House policy, reversing them quickly.  That does not require legislative approval, but it could bring the most contentious issues to the forefront immediately and create more polarization than post-partisanship (via Jazz Shaw):

Transition advisers to President-elect Barack Obama have compiled a list of about 200 Bush administration actions and executive orders that could be swiftly undone to reverse White House policies on climate change, stem cell research, reproductive rights and other issues, according to congressional Democrats, campaign aides and experts working with the transition team.

A team of four dozen advisers, working for months in virtual solitude, set out to identify regulatory and policy changes Obama could implement soon after his inauguration. The team is now consulting with liberal advocacy groups, Capitol Hill staffers and potential agency chiefs to prioritize those they regard as the most onerous or ideologically offensive, said a top transition official who was not permitted to speak on the record about the inner workings of the transition.

In some instances, Obama would be quickly delivering on promises he made during his two-year campaign, while in others he would be embracing Clinton-era policies upended by President Bush during his eight years in office.

One suggestion might even make sense, from a states-rights perspective.  Bush signed an EO blocking California from adopting its own emissions requirements for automobiles, apart from the federal CAFE standards.  That EO was a sop to the auto industry, but it defied federalism.  If Obama rolled back that EO, it would support the federalist principle of state sovereignty and weaken, however slightly, the Commerce Clause attack on it.

The other top two targets will enrage the pro-life lobby.  Obama plans to end the federal ban on funding for human embryonic stem-cell research (hEsc) and upend the Mexico City rule that forbids federal foreign aid to be used to promote abortion. He can expect a big controversy on both.

The hEsc order annoys researchers who can’t get money for their projects elsewhere, but that’s because the technology has surpassed hEsc.  Scientists have since developed plenipotentiary stem cells from adult tissue, ending the need to destroy embryos at all.  If hEsc really held out any promise apart from other technologies, it would not need federal funding at any rate — it would have private donors lining up to invest in it, as other stem-cell research does.

While American voters feel some ambiguity on abortion, they overwhelmingly do not want their tax dollars paying for or facilitating abortions.  The Mexico City rule forbade federal funds to be used to facilitate the acquisition of abortions by groups abroad, much as the Hyde Amendment prohibited federal funds to be used in the same manner domestically.  If Obama rescinds it, he can expect a great deal of outrage from pro-life groups and a reopening of the debate over the use of tax money to procure abortions anywhere.

These aren’t exactly low-hanging fruit, nor are they the acts of someone who professed to find middle ground between pro-life and pro-choice groups.  These are the acts of a pro-abortion absolutist, and they presage the sponsorship of Planned Parenthood’s Freedom of Choice Act.  So much for governing from the center.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 7

Pro-life people did not vote for him.

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 11:19 AM

I wish I could say you are right, but unfortunately, I know several pro-life people who voted for him. They deliberately did not seek out his stance on abortion and how he voted in the Born Alive bill in Illinois. It’s called moral relativity. I know some Yellow Dog Democrats who are strongly pro-life, but they would never vote for anyone but a Democrat. They have to live with themselves.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 11:42 AM

I just got onto change.gov

Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Speaking as a Catholic who definitely did not vote for Obama I agree with the Archbishop of Denver…if you vote for an abortionist you have blood on your hands as well. I can only hope those that voted in this evil POS feel the brunt of his regime harder than those of us that didn’t.

DCJeff on November 9, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Hope Change Renewal….and goobye to a free eatern europe.

Careful what you wish for europe

clnurnberg on November 9, 2008 at 11:43 AM

I just got onto change.gov

Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 11:42 AM

I did too. Oh well, change is “sometimey”.

ddrintn on November 9, 2008 at 11:44 AM

DCJeff on November 9, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Amen. I don’t know that much about the Catholic faith but I saw a website the other day Cathlolics for prochoice or some such. I don’t understand how that can be. I always thought Catholics were so strongly pro-life. What happened?

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Hear is some more change for you Obama voters.Just heard on fox that the dems and Obama are going to give G.M. 50 billion of yours and mine tax dollars.Half of it will go to pay for there curent and ret workers health care and pension cost.How about that while yours & mine 401 ks have tanked the dems & Obama are going to use what little money the people have left to make those poor Auto workers whole.This is change you morons wanted.The only problem is when we run out of money were are they going next to get it.Surprise Surprise there coming for what little you have left in your 401Ks.Obama Land what a country.

thmcbb on November 9, 2008 at 11:45 AM

mrsmwp on November 9,2008 at 11:25
That’s the problem that I had this morning. I tried the civil discussion thing prior to the election and now I need a cooling off period. These people are a product of public schools and colleges and critical thinking is seriously absent.

thomasaur on November 9, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Anyone notice the massive effort by Obama and his cohorts in big media to dampen expectations.

Heck even on change.gov Obama notes:

“Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little better than the one we inhabit today,”

I don’t think many of those people that voted for him just wanted us to be a little better.

Had he been honest with people about what to expect this race would have been at least a little closer.

Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Catholics can be bought too.

Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 11:48 AM

thmcbb on November 9, 2008 at 11:45 AM

I wonder if its possible to file suit against the federal government for misuse of my taxes… it is money that is mine that I’ve earned redistributed to others to my detriment…

I wonder if it can be proven? Can there be class-action suits against the government?

Where’s a lawyer that can define the boundaries of our ability to petition the government for redress of grievances?

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Yes, I am frightened. I hear many people saying that we must support that One and accept that he won. I can’t seem to do that. Maybe I am a lesser person. I honestly believe he won based on propaganda and by voters not being thoroughly informed.

mindhacker on November 9, 2008 at 11:48 AM

mindhacker on November 9, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Yes, that and campaign finance and voter fraud.

Don’t think for one second the electoral process we’ve all been led to believe is fair and honest in our republic cannot be gamed.

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 11:50 AM

For those of you who thought Peggy Noonan was on the verge of dementia, read her new column. She has officially been diagnosed as full-blown.

Did she actually hate Bush that much?

sherry on November 9, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Well, Change.gov sure is changing. Couldn’t find any of his agendas anymore.Gone is the gun control, urban renewal projects, etc. His “agenda” is now one paragraph of gobbledygook.Way to go, bro! He is such a charlatan.

Babino on November 9, 2008 at 11:51 AM

mindhacker on November 9, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Yes, Germans were told to support their leader too. Isn’t that the excuse they used when asked why the holocaust was “allowed” to happen?

Shameful and spineless

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 11:52 AM

“Reproductive Rights.”

This Orwellian phrase means: Democrats slaughter babies born alive.

Democrats.

It means once the woman makes her “choice,” she is guaranteed a corpse.

Hope! Change!

jeff_from_mpls on November 9, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Did she actually hate Bush that much?

sherry on November 9, 2008 at 11:51 AM

She is dead to me.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 11:54 AM

“Reproductive Rights.”

This Orwellian phrase means: Democrats slaughter babies born alive.

Democrats.

It means once the woman makes her “choice,” she is guaranteed a corpse.

Hope! Change!

jeff_from_mpls on November 9, 2008 at 11:53 AM

As harsh as that sounds, it is absolutely true.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 11:55 AM

She is dead to me.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 11:54 AM

Me too.
Like Rahm Emanuel says with a steak knife “Dead”

sherry on November 9, 2008 at 11:56 AM

thmcbb on November 9, 2008 at 11:45 AM

I am going to have to double my blood pressure medicine for sure.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 11:55 AM

sherry on November 9, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Count me in.

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 11:57 AM

So my hard earned tax dollars will go to other countries to fund abortions and how does this help the financial crisis and why would I want my taxes raised for them to go abroad?

ldbgcoleman on November 9, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Me too.
Like Rahm Emanuel says with a steak knife “Dead”

sherry on November 9, 2008 at 11:56 AM

And the list grows.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Peggy lost me when she started turning up on MSNBC.

Babino on November 9, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 11:48 AM

That would be a good thing to research. If we as citizens here in Ca. Can have a Judge arrested, if he over turns Prop 8. Why can’t we do that to the idiots that are in Washington DC?

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Did anyone really believe that a leftist politician who was not pinned down by the press on any issues would really “govern from the center”?

If it was a novel or a play this would be amusing

clnurnberg on November 9, 2008 at 12:00 PM

the children you allow to live that is….

Fetal stem cell issue is one of my favorites.

The ban, as we know, is only for gov money to be used.

Its one of those common sense questions that beg us,why isnt the private sector funding it if its so promising?

Its the in your face attitude, which by the way means it hasnt any value other than to spend money to people they know and attack establishment.

Its OK, the American people were gracious this year, but they arent all stupid.

2010 is around the corner and the commies are defending 2 to 1 so any big ideas obamamatons have can come back and bite them.

Sonosam on November 9, 2008 at 12:01 PM

ldbgcoleman on November 9, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Watch it all flow overseas under the Global Poverty Initiative. After all, he has been pronounced the “First Global President”. I wonder if we will get the “socialism” discount on airfares to Europe now???

sherry on November 9, 2008 at 12:02 PM

I think every new Prez goes in right after swearing in and signs and bunch of things. I recall when Bush first got in, Hillary was spewing off the next day or so that he had undone everything they had done. What specifically she was referring to I am not 100% sure, maybe not even related to the executive stuff. I know Bill had pardoned a ton of folks just before turning off the lights too.

eh, we sit and wait.

johnnyU on November 9, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Peggy Noonan?

The names are coming out now, and she is on the top of the list. Total rebuild!

Keemo on November 9, 2008 at 12:06 PM

The embryonic stem cell research hasn’t produced any medical results. Why not get funding on animal embryonic stem cell research, and, if it produces a miracle cure for animal medicine, then argue for funding for human embryonic stem cell research?

Count to 10 on November 9, 2008 at 12:08 PM

I know Bill had pardoned a ton of folks just before turning off the lights too.

Ah yes, Pardongate. He pardoned those 16 members of FALN, the Puerto Rican terrorist group (at the urging of the fresh new Nobel Peace Prize winner, Jimmy Carter). Yes, what an act of humanity that was. Susan McDougal, Marc Rich. PFAW!
Oh, the memories.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 12:11 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Honestly, don’t you guys ever get tired of the same old arguments? Legal abortion lulls women into thinking that abortion is a moral choice. Clinics encourage young women to abort their babies as a way to conveniently end an unwanted pregnancy. In case you haven’t noticed, contraception and sex education has been around as long as legalized abortion. All of the assertions that this trifecta would end unwanted pregnancies, neglected and abused children and poverty proved wrong. All of these has increased over the years. It is only is the last decade or so, as the pro-life movement has gotten out the message that we have seen any decline.

Abstinence works 100% to reduce STD’s and pregnancies, but our young people are inundated with the culture of sex without consequences in movies, music, magazines and on TV.
What a joke, to use the influence of the media to promote sex and then use Planned Parenthood to get rid of the consequence.

Anti-abortion foes have worked hard over the last couple of decades to offer an alternative to abortion. Our goal is to win the hearts and minds of women so that they understand the enormous evil of killing of their own offspring. Just as when abortion was first made legal, many Americans didn’t support it. Over the years they have become deadened to the immorality of it, just as the German people got used to all the Jews, Catholics, Blacks and disabled who disappeared from their neighborhoods. After all, their country was in a financial mess and Hitler promised to make it all better.

Sorry, but the best way to reduce the number of abortions is to make them illegal. Some will choose to have them in secret, but the vast majority of women will have their babies.

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 12:11 PM

I think the media is going to have brainwash the public into that Obama is governing from the center because I don’t think he will.

terryannonline on November 9, 2008 at 12:13 PM

sherry on November 9, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Lol… would be helpful for my other business… U.N. act has gone unnoticed.. but is truly one of the most frightening loss of American sovereignty.

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 12:13 PM

ldbgcoleman on November 9, 2008 at 11:57 AM

As you know this country’s bottom 20% when it comes to income are rich compared to the world in general. If he is truly a global President I think there is reason to worry.

Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Count to 10 on November 9, 2008 at 12:08 PM

It is about abortion rights.

Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 12:15 PM

The impeached Bill Clinton put a poison pill in one of his executive orders, requiring the maximum standard for arsenic content in drinking water to be set at an absurdly low level so that it would be exceedingly costly for water treatment facilities to meet it. This forced President Bush to rescind Clinton’s stunt executive-order, allowing the headling “Bush raises arsenic in drinking water,” giving raw meat to morally retarded democrats to light their torches and storm the white house to accuse President Bush of genocide.

Oh, but “the country was so united before Bush and his unnecessary wars, etc. etc., democrats aren’t naturally deranged, Bush simply made them this way over time!”

Bush has so much more class than Clinton ever did, he won’t do anything sleazy like that to Obama. (Not that Obama won’t have plenty of opportunities to disgrace himself without Bush’s help!)

jeff_from_mpls on November 9, 2008 at 12:16 PM

I know Bill had pardoned a ton of folks just before turning off the lights too.
Oh, the memories.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Bill also, for some reason, pardoned a couple of Weathermen, thus depriving Hillary of the chance to go after Obama on Ayers. Bill managed to sandbag her campaign before it even started. Imagine what she could have done with Ayres if not hampered by Bill’s pardons.

Wethal on November 9, 2008 at 12:16 PM

The stem cell research does not bother me all that much. But that’s just where I stand on the issue. States can fund the research right now anyways.

funding foreign abortions is an abomination. I didn’t like it under Clinton and I don’t like it now. any tax payer money spent to slaughter the unborn is unacceptable to many people. so much for post partisanship. I wonder how long before he signs the Freedom of Choice Act, lifting all state restrictions on all types of abortions.

and slaughtering the posterity of foreign populations is not going to help our image world wide. it will backfire and be used against us.

Daemonocracy on November 9, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 11:48 AM

sheebe on November 9, 2008 at 12:00 PM

At the very least, I think there has got to be some argument that appropriation of taxpayers dollars to fund projects that trample upon an indentifiable religious precept should in some way violate the freedom of religion clause as originally framed — which was that the government would not make laws respecting a religion or preventing the free exercise thereof.

I cannot be pro-life and give my money to the anti-life government and good conscience.

I’m not sure if that is worded logically enough to pass the smell test… but if a lawyer wants to contact me, as a theologian and a student of conservatism, I’m happy to assist in whatever way I can.

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 12:17 PM

mindhacker on November 9, 2008 at 11:48 AM

You’re not a lesser person. Obama might have won the election; now he has to earn it.

redfoxbluestate on November 9, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Did she actually hate Bush that much?

sherry on November 9, 2008 at 11:51 AM

She is dead to me.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 11:54 AM

A goodly portion of “our intelligentsia” is made up of camp-following time-servers. They’ll desert Obama as well when he screws up and his poll standing suffers.

ddrintn on November 9, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Just talked to a few of my dumb A** friends that voted for the little man child. They think in 2 years we can come back and get control of Congress HA HA .What are you going to do i ask them when the Dems & Obama and there new friends on the courts supend the Const.on the grounds of a national emerg.You will be told were to work were to live what to eat what kind of car you drive.Maybe we can all listen to Rush & Hannity or Mark to get info .I dout it they will most likley be in jail.I have voted ever year for Pres. sence Goldwater and have seen people to dumb things but this year the people may have gone over a cliff that there is no return from .GOD help us

thmcbb on November 9, 2008 at 12:18 PM

^ We just have to make sure they don’t come back into our camp again.

ddrintn on November 9, 2008 at 12:19 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Not only that… but most will then think twice before hanky panky.

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 12:20 PM

And seeing how the left targets black children in the womb, I’d have to call them “LUCKY, cute little girls.”

hoosiermama on November 9, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Not lucky, political props.

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 12:21 PM

ddrintn on November 9, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Maybe the Independents will take them in. Still dead to me.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Does anyone think President Bush will crash Obama’s inauguration by holding an “it’s all over” party in an abandoned airplane hangar, where he’ll get all choked up, bite his lip and say “we did a lotta good?”

No, President Bush won’t do what the impeached Bill Clinton did because, unlike Clinton, Bush put country before self. Obama seems incapable of grasping the concept as well.

jeff_from_mpls on November 9, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Obama’s slap at Reagan said a lot.

Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 11:42 AM

I stand by my statement. No sincerely pro-life person could have voted for him. It is easy to say, “I’m pro-life” but most who do don’t act upon their beliefs. Being pro-life and voting for Obama are mutually exclusive.

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 12:25 PM

But I don’t disagree. In fact, I heartily agree. However, people will use whatever means they can to rationalize their actions in times like these. I can never look upon them as pro-life again. That makes me sad because they are members of my church. Hard as I try, my feelings have changed toward them. Not a judgment, just a pulling back from something I will never understand.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Obama’s slap at Reagan said a lot.

Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 12:24 PM

It certainly did.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 12:31 PM

We, here, will be walking gently, daily …
between Ps 46:10 and Nehemiah 4.
He leads, and if we’re not on His side, He’s not on ours, either.
sigh

pambi on November 9, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Obama’s slap at Reagan said a lot.

Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Yes it did. He knows his followers are animals, and he has to signal that he understands their hatred.

These people have old scores to settle.

We already knew that, but it’s good to call attentention to the leakage in all of Obama’s extemporaneous statements. He’s a poor, careless speaker when he goes off script.

But each little gaffe is helpful to us as we strive to understand what this man’s heart is made of.

jeff_from_mpls on November 9, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Abstinence works. But abstinence only education does not work. And since you are familiar with the studies I don’t think I have to prove that to you. You are corret, our popular culture has a sexual bent to it. But unless you want to end capitalism and freedom of speech how do you propose limiting the amount of sex we have in our popular culture.

I also am just…entirely over the idea that sex is bad. And this is where I won’t see eye to eye with conservatives. Healthy sex lives are good. Orgasms? Good. As long as it occurs within emotionally fulfilling, respectable arrangements between two consenting adults. Sometimes that’s marriage. And sometimes, it’s not marriage. And we all know that within marriage you can have emotionally abusive, non-fulfilling sex. By making marriage and waiting until marriage the FIRST criteria we miss what actually makes individuals into the kinds of people who can enjoy sex and avoid pregnancy. Not emphasizing intercouse and promoting oral/hand/massage/tantric etc forms of pleasure that don’t involve insertion and the risks involved. The pro-life movement isn’t just pro life, it’s anti-sex and as long as it’s anti-sex it will get no where.

Why? People like boinking. We’re hardwired to boink. And we’re NOT naturally hard wired to only want to boink one individual for life.

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 11:45 AM

All but a few of us Catholics don’t understand it either. It’s like being a member of the “Jews for Nazis” or some other such fringe organization which makes no sense other than to its few adherents.

But Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden are Catholic pro-choicers, and, from their comments, the vaunted Catholic “informed conscience” seems notably absent. After all, both attempted a theological argument for abortion, and both were whapped upside the head by their respective Bishops, who pointed out the Theological underpinnings, unchanged since the First Century, of the Church’s opposition to abortion.

We haven’t heard a word from them about the workings of their newly informed consciousnesses, so I suspect they stoppered their ears and are still busily worshiping their personal god while maintaining their nominal attachment to Catholicism.

unclesmrgol on November 9, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Funny, isn’t it ??
How the TRUTH (of his ultimate agenda) that comes out of his mouth will open ALOT of blind-follower’s eyes, whether they like it or not.
That part will be sorta fun to watch.

pambi on November 9, 2008 at 12:36 PM

what this man’s heart is made of.

jeff_from_mpls on November 9, 2008 at 12:33 PM

I’m no doctor but I’m seeing: resentment, bitter greed, and cold hard stone.

sherry on November 9, 2008 at 12:36 PM

how do you propose limiting the amount of sex we have in our popular culture.
DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 12:34 PM

I have a little thought experiment. Can you, in your wildest dreams, imagine the Founding Fathers asking such a question in public?

Then WTF are we doing thinking that it is even remotely the government’s job to socially engineer America?

jeff_from_mpls on November 9, 2008 at 12:37 PM

thmcbb on November 9, 2008 at 12:18 PM

We may not be able to listen to Rush, hannity, etc. Did you know that congress doesn’t even have to vote on a “fairness Doctrine?” It can be taken care of, without fight by the FCC. ( current head is Colin Powell’s son- may or may not lose his job ;) )

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 12:38 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Kind of weird as most pro-life types I know have at least several if not more kids. It could not have been the sex because well as we now know…they are anti-sex. I wonder how that happened.//sarc

Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 12:30 PM

I know, I know. It’s so hard to realize that people with whom one worships can stand in God’s house, sing His praise, offer Him thanksgiving, implore His blessing and then receive Him in the Eucharist could then vote for the destruction of so many of His beloved children. They are like the people who adoringly followed Jesus into Jerusalem, waving palm fronds and exclaiming “Hosanna” who then cried out “Crucify Him” when He stood before Pilot. If the people who saw Jesus could so turn on Him, how much more so can people who do not see the unborn as human turn their back to their holocaust?

Eye has not seen nor ears heard what God has ready for those who love Him, Spirit of God come give us the mind of Jesus, teach us the wisdom of love.

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 12:39 PM

I understand that the buzz is for O to bring in the guy that PROMOTED the FDctrine way back when, to head FCC !
God helps us all !!

pambi on November 9, 2008 at 12:40 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 12:34 PM

You’re right… I love it… and my wife has the 8 week old embryo to prove it… maybe that’s why we shouldn’t remove the consequences that serve as impediments to crossing the appropriate boundaries?

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Funny, isn’t it ??
That part will be sorta fun to watch.

pambi on November 9, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Keep the popcorn warm… it’ll be a cold day in H*ll when any of these people become deprogrammed… there wil be nop one to tell them how bad things really are.

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 12:40 PM

God helps us all !!

pambi on November 9, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Don’t fear the Fairness Doctrine dopes… let them try and let them fail.

Whether you count us as individuals expressing free speech or a group that has freedom of the press… we will say what we want… and let the chips fall where we may… blood alone moves the wheels of history.

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Peggy is dead, and that’s a good thing.

Why waste time listening to irrelevant RINOs.

Right_of_Attila on November 9, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 12:42 PM

If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one there to hear it fall, does it make a noise?

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Death of the RINO’s…

Couldn’t come quickly enough for me!

Keemo on November 9, 2008 at 12:47 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 12:34 PM

I am Pro-life and conservative. I do not think sex is bad or dirty. We are not hard-wired to murder the result of sex. Quite the contrary, we are hard-wired to protect and nurture the CHILD!!!! that could be the result.

thomasaur on November 9, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 12:42 PM

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 12:45 PM

When it comes to the point that the discharge of the implements of war against my aggressor is the only remaining solution… no living being on this earth will be unheard from.

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Our 15yo, VERY active Catholic GrandDaughter is weeping to witness such hypocrisy within her group of friends at church.
Bless her heart.

pambi on November 9, 2008 at 12:49 PM

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 12:39 PM

There’s a breed of Catholic who accepts the uplifting aspects of having faith, the personal transformation, but who fail to grasp it’s requirement to suffer public ridicule and suspicion for being counter-cultural.

I sometimes think I have the intellect of a Catholic but the heart of a Protestant. I cling bitterly to the sacraments because I know there’s life in them. But I think our Protestant friends tend to be more daring in their embrace of aspects of our faith that make us unpopular in the world.

The breed of “pro-choice” Catholics is a little too much in love with the world, in my opinion, wanting to be “accepted” by people who proclaim themselves modern and evolved. I fear many are privately embarrassed to be Christian. I fear many of them view the sacraments as a form of therapy, rather than a direct and inconvenient challenge to their very person.

IMHO.

jeff_from_mpls on November 9, 2008 at 12:49 PM

thomasaur on November 9, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Very scary and sad that those charged with the protection have come to the point of abortion. I think for the Deathtomediahack types you need to phrase an argument in the animal world. Try going near a bear cub and see what happens.

Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 12:39 PM

That made me cry. God bless you, these are hard times.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Uh, which part of Ed’s post led you to believe Floppy Eared Cokehead is going to “size it down?”

fossten on November 9, 2008 at 10:39 AM

1. The headline says it
2. The fact that you have to call him ‘Flopper Eared Cokehead’ just shows what a little pea-brain immature brat you are. Grow up.

A Axe on November 9, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 12:48 PM

I with you no this point, by the way. I am preparing…call it an Emergency Plan.

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 12:54 PM

I meant on this point… sorry for the typo

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 12:55 PM

None of this will happen. There was a very good reason Jerome Corsi was arrested and deported in Nairobi and why Obama has spent so much money to not have to show his vault birth certificate. Strange but public behavior from both Obama and Odinga. I believe this is going to break open soon.

justincase on November 9, 2008 at 12:57 PM

IMHO.

jeff_from_mpls on November 9, 2008 at 12:49 PM

You said this so well. This truly is the root of it and why people like Deathtomediahacks make these outrageous arguments. It’s cool to be sexually promiscuous and deal with the consequences with abortion because it’s a “right.” It’s uncool to expect a responsible person to take measures to avoid pregnancy. That labels us morally narrow minded and cold and then free-thinking and free. It’s a common argument used by pro-choice people. I’ve heard it a million times.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Obama’s first EO is to attack life – what a surprise. The most readically pro-abortion president EVER. Pro-life supporters of the One put the movement back 30 years.

fenian5 on November 9, 2008 at 12:57 PM

I meant “them” free thinking…

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Long, but brilliant interview with Russian KGB defector on where our country is headed… and apparently has been for some time.

Chilling.

redfoxbluestate on November 9, 2008 at 1:01 PM

I have seen so many people now saying that B.O. is the President-Elect, we must now all respect him on the basis of the office he now serves.

That is a bunch of pure crap!

When Bubba Billy was stinking up the White House for 8 years, not once did I refer to him as President and I will be doing the same with B.O. here because I have virtually no respect for the man whatsoever. I did not vote for him, I did not endorse him, and based on what I am seeing as far as what he has in store after Inaugeration Day, I expect I will be spending the next four years being against on on virtually everything he tries to push of the American people.

I am now sick and tired of all the wishy-washiness I am seeing from so called conservatives. It is time we take a stand for what we believe in and what we hold dear and knock off this appeasement crap. It is this appeasement thing that has virtually brought the Republican Party to it’s knees. We need to stand up to this and send a message to B.O. in terms he cannot misunderstand that we will oppose him any legal way we can, we will stand up to him any legal way we can, and we will not stop until there is once again a Republican Majority made up of honest, conservative people in the Congress and when B.O. is voted out of office in 2012.

Enough of the wishy washy crap,people! Stand up for what you believe in for a healthy change!

pilamaye on November 9, 2008 at 1:01 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Honestly? Again you resort to the SOS arguments. One night stands, friends with benefits, multiple partners, young women having sex to keep a boyfriend, or to be cool, young men pressured to feel they must prove they are a “man”, people desperate for love are the kinds of sex that lead to unwanted pregnancies and abortion. True sexual freedom, the kind that is within the binding love of commitment and marriage and open to life does not lead to unwanted pregnancies and abortion.

Yes, God gave us the gift of pleasure in sex. But, we are not animals controlled by instinct to rut with any available mate. We are endowed by our Creator with a conscience and self control which have been deliberately suppressed by liberals in the media, entertainment and education. People not in control of their own lives are easily controlled by others. People enslaved of their own passions are easily enslaved by others.

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 1:02 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 12:34 PM

There is no logical argument you can propagate that can rationally justify the homicide of the voiceless and defenseless unborn.

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Death is a veritable walking encyclopedia of prochoice arguments. Very well said, Jvette.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Amen. I am so glad I am here today with you guys.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 1:07 PM

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 1:06 PM

The majority of Americans have rationalized it, or at least decided that they don’t want the government involved with the decision.

dedalus on November 9, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Just remember that dissent is patriotic and the Hillary screed that “We’re Americans and we have the right to disagree…”

clnurnberg on November 9, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Anyone who thought President elect Obama would govern from the middle is smoking crack!

Eyvonne on November 9, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Eyvonne on November 9, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Or dropping acid

clnurnberg on November 9, 2008 at 1:12 PM

That is a bunch of pure crap!

pilamaye on November 9, 2008 at 1:01 PM

So you didn’t complain about Penn’s statement huh?

A Axe on November 9, 2008 at 1:13 PM

I hope we all relize that we brought most of this on our self.Letting the Rinos run our party for the last 13 years.Also beware of the Huckabee he is no consev. We must not let him and his kind to take control ever again.We must help the young consev. turks in congress take over.(THIS IS WAR WE MUST WIN AND TAKE NO PRISONERS)Just like here in S.C. we had a chance to take Sen.linsley lap dog out but we failed in the primarys. Because we as consev. sometimes vote for a person just because he or she has a R by there name.Never again we will rebuild this party of Reagens to stirike fear into the hearts of the Godless Libs.

thmcbb on November 9, 2008 at 1:13 PM

These aren’t exactly low-hanging fruit, nor are they the acts of someone who professed to find middle ground between pro-life and pro-choice groups. These are the acts of a pro-abortion absolutist, and they presage the sponsorship of Planned Parenthood’s Freedom of Choice Act. So much for governing from the center

Given his associations, voting record and arrogance I think it’s naïve to believe Obama won’t push the country as far left as he possibly can.

Basilsbest on November 9, 2008 at 1:16 PM