Obama to target Bush executive orders in first days

posted at 9:38 am on November 9, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama wants to find ways to make his mark quickly in the opening days of his presidency and reverse the legacy of George W. Bush.  Obama will focus his efforts on the list of executive orders that shaped White House policy, reversing them quickly.  That does not require legislative approval, but it could bring the most contentious issues to the forefront immediately and create more polarization than post-partisanship (via Jazz Shaw):

Transition advisers to President-elect Barack Obama have compiled a list of about 200 Bush administration actions and executive orders that could be swiftly undone to reverse White House policies on climate change, stem cell research, reproductive rights and other issues, according to congressional Democrats, campaign aides and experts working with the transition team.

A team of four dozen advisers, working for months in virtual solitude, set out to identify regulatory and policy changes Obama could implement soon after his inauguration. The team is now consulting with liberal advocacy groups, Capitol Hill staffers and potential agency chiefs to prioritize those they regard as the most onerous or ideologically offensive, said a top transition official who was not permitted to speak on the record about the inner workings of the transition.

In some instances, Obama would be quickly delivering on promises he made during his two-year campaign, while in others he would be embracing Clinton-era policies upended by President Bush during his eight years in office.

One suggestion might even make sense, from a states-rights perspective.  Bush signed an EO blocking California from adopting its own emissions requirements for automobiles, apart from the federal CAFE standards.  That EO was a sop to the auto industry, but it defied federalism.  If Obama rolled back that EO, it would support the federalist principle of state sovereignty and weaken, however slightly, the Commerce Clause attack on it.

The other top two targets will enrage the pro-life lobby.  Obama plans to end the federal ban on funding for human embryonic stem-cell research (hEsc) and upend the Mexico City rule that forbids federal foreign aid to be used to promote abortion. He can expect a big controversy on both.

The hEsc order annoys researchers who can’t get money for their projects elsewhere, but that’s because the technology has surpassed hEsc.  Scientists have since developed plenipotentiary stem cells from adult tissue, ending the need to destroy embryos at all.  If hEsc really held out any promise apart from other technologies, it would not need federal funding at any rate — it would have private donors lining up to invest in it, as other stem-cell research does.

While American voters feel some ambiguity on abortion, they overwhelmingly do not want their tax dollars paying for or facilitating abortions.  The Mexico City rule forbade federal funds to be used to facilitate the acquisition of abortions by groups abroad, much as the Hyde Amendment prohibited federal funds to be used in the same manner domestically.  If Obama rescinds it, he can expect a great deal of outrage from pro-life groups and a reopening of the debate over the use of tax money to procure abortions anywhere.

These aren’t exactly low-hanging fruit, nor are they the acts of someone who professed to find middle ground between pro-life and pro-choice groups.  These are the acts of a pro-abortion absolutist, and they presage the sponsorship of Planned Parenthood’s Freedom of Choice Act.  So much for governing from the center.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 7

sherry at 10:30′
It doesn’t matter what their ready for it’s here. The lack critical thinking skills or they would not have voted for this slug.

thomasaur on November 9, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Of coarse the leftist agenda will be pushed, as they financed the Obama campaign. Leftist now have power in all (3) houses, and will load up the bench with Liberal activist Judges. The equivalent of a royal flush.

Keemo on November 9, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Yes, be prepared for a couple of Supreme Court Justices to retire here soon (like Stevens and Ginsburg) now that they know they will probably be replaced with someone of the same ideology.

eanax on November 9, 2008 at 10:38 AM

tocoloro on November 9, 2008 at 10:35 AM

First part is correct… communism on the way without one shot being fired… last part about we deserve it for being materialistic is absurd. Too many Americans are indoctrinated with the “Politically Correct” crap… they want a black president, ideas be damned… they want social “justice” because it FEELS good.

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 10:39 AM

So even though Bush pulled out 200+ executive orders, that was not an ‘imperial presidency’ ?

The president was never supposed to have this much power – even Nixon knew that. The power was always supposed to be in congress’ hands. And I *would* like that to be returned.

Bush was a pro big-government – hell if Obama has to size it down, so the hell be it.

A Axe on November 9, 2008 at 9:56 AM

Uh, which part of Ed’s post led you to believe Floppy Eared Cokehead is going to “size it down?”

fossten on November 9, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Communism has been taught in our universities for 50 years now; they are hasrvesting their fruits now; communism has infliltrated in al spheres of the american government; we are doomed. The US will become part of the world communist government

tocoloro on November 9, 2008 at 10:40 AM

I’m pretty sure that many center right voters knew about Obama’s extreme left ideals and voted for him anyway. I’m not sure why though? Were they caught up in the hype? Were they caught up in racial guilt? Were they seduced by the idea of tax cut? universal health care? greed in general? My money(if I had any left)would be on the last three in my list. These will not(with the possible exception of the health care)actually happen. Or, if they do, will quickly be reversed when the crooks on the Hill realize they might have less money to spend.

jeanie on November 9, 2008 at 10:40 AM

Let’s not forget that Bush reversed the Clinton argument about the 2nd Amendment. The Bush Administration supported the opinion that the 2nd Amendment was an individual right to own a firearm; the Clintoon Admin was in support of the militia thingy.

Pelayo on November 9, 2008 at 10:40 AM

I wonder what all that conservatives who endorsed him will say when he rolls all this out (displaying a world class temperament while he does it, of course.)

Bilby on November 9, 2008 at 10:11 AM

That’s ok, he writes so intelligently. /s

aikidoka on November 9, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Keep your bullets dry, your guns well greased and hidden; We will need them fairly soon.

tocoloro on November 9, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Even if Obama goes after talk radio I think most will simply move to listening to their shows on the internet or on satellite. He will likely have a firestorm on his hands regardless.

Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Obama will disarm the american people, will drastically cut-back defense spending, will kill conservative talk radio amd the internet; communism is coming, the america people deserve it for being so materialistic and caring more for the pockebook than for political freedom and ideals

tocoloro on November 9, 2008 at 10:35 AM

That disarm part will be a little difficult…he’s a socialist, but I don’t think he wants another civil war on his watch!

jwp1964 on November 9, 2008 at 10:42 AM

If Obama does go this far with abortion and ESC funding, I’d like to see that “pro-life” Democrat dweeb on Laura Ingraham again explaining his douche self.

aikidoka on November 9, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Are you joking? This is about federalism?!

This isn’t affecting the state of California, this is affecting the rest of the damn country. That’s not a state’s right.

Sir Andrew on November 9, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Worst. President. Ever!

Impeah. him. NOW!

Dale in Atlanta on November 9, 2008 at 10:44 AM

tocoloro on November 9, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Especially ammo… stock up now… that is how they will slowly “eliminate” guns… by taxing ammmo into the stratosphere. I am stocking up now.

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Then he will go after those as well…

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 10:45 AM

The Marxist take over is nearly complete!

grapeknutz on November 9, 2008 at 10:45 AM

How did blacks and hispanics that account for only 25% of the population take over the country?

tocoloro on November 9, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Not sure I can articulate this appropriately, but I’m going to try.
Abortion and Embryonic stem cell research are very important topics (I am passionately pro-life by the way). However we MUST keep in mind that this very, very scary individual was groomed from infancy for this position be even scarier individuals who’s TOTAL, COMPLETE, ABSOLUTE goal is to destroy America as we know it. We can only guess who is behind our puppet-elect, and that petrifies me!
It will be very easy for normally staunchly pro-life people to roll over on ESCR and abortion issues (After all, a majority of Catholics voted for him, even knowing his stance on these issues.)once our very freedoms including freedom of speech, the right to bear arms, ad infinitum are taken away…expect websites like this to disappear Jan. 20…expect to be strong-armed into registering on Change.gov…Oh hell, I could go on and on.
BTW, I asked a very pro-life Catholic I know how he could vote for THE ONE. His response? “I have already figured out I’ll probably burn in hell for it, and will spend the rest of my life praying for forgiveness, but I can’t help it cause I really, really like the guys other ideas.”(Which ones???)Couldn’t answer that. Very, very disturbing the hypnotic effect the guy has.
My point being the pro-life stuff POTENTIALLY becomes small potatoes to a lot of people once they figure out what they have done in electing Obama.
I’m not sure all of this gnashing of teeth and rending of clothing is productive, but I am afraid that may be all we CAN do going forward. The difference being now we can do it in an open forum. In the future we may not be able to.

Chewy the Lab on November 9, 2008 at 10:47 AM

For all those so-called conservatives who were lulled into voting for Obama, allow me to quote Rodney Dangerfield:

I don’t snort cocaine, I just love the way it smells.

Buy Danish on November 9, 2008 at 10:48 AM

I can’t even go to church this morning out of fear that I won’t be able to hold my tongue. There are other parishoners that I know voted for this scumbag who deserve to be scorned and I can’t trust my temper. They may go to my church but these people are not Christians.

thomasaur on November 9, 2008 at 10:18 AM

I don’t believe that my fellow Christians who supported Obama aren’t really Christians. I have no repect for their logic or reasoning capabilities, but I don’t question their Christianity or their decency.

Obama’s Christianity and decency I most definitely question.

Jaibones on November 9, 2008 at 10:49 AM

And let the thugocracy continue…..

DL13 on November 9, 2008 at 10:50 AM

” . . . I’m pretty sure that many center right voters knew about Obama’s extreme left ideals and voted for him anyway. I’m not sure why though? Were they caught up in the hype? Were they caught up in racial guilt? ”

I have no racial guilt. I’ve never owned another human being, no one in my family ever owned another human being, and no one I know has ever owned another human being. This is just more leftist subterfuge and obfuscation designed to influence your psyche and control your behavior . . . don’t fall for it.

rplat on November 9, 2008 at 10:51 AM

tocoloro on November 9, 2008 at 10:45 AM

If you think that’s what happened then you don’t understand this election. Obama put together a coalition of young people of all races, nearly 40% of the white vote and a huge percentage of people of color. It’s called AMERICA. Get used to it :) Oh also, McCain was killed by women.

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 10:52 AM

It’s enough of a tip-off of Obama’s priorities to learn what Bush EOs he intends to rescind. What concerns me even more are those he intends to impose.

The whole idea of EOs contradicts the point of the Constitution, regardless of who serves in the Oval Office. Just as the executive branch not have the power to legislate, nor should the the judicial.

onlineanalyst on November 9, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Oh also, McCain was killed by women.

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Correction: Bitter unmarried women

onlineanalyst on November 9, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Part 14 of the Universally Acclaimed series: This is Barack HUSSEIN Obama’s (PBUH)(SWT)(SAW) Brain:

This is Obama’s (PBUH) Brain: Bis’mallah Ar Rahman wa Ar Raheem…Muhammed Rasul-ullah!

This is Obams’a (PBUH) Brain on Drugs: “I can’t believe all those liberal white guilt-afflicted voters were stupid enough to put me in office….I’m going to enjoy the next four years destroying those dumbass crackers and this country…what a bunch of tools…BAWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!

Dale in Atlanta on November 9, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Chewy the Lab on November 9, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Well articulated… the snowball (NOT a racial reference) will get larger and larger and most will be blind to it all, until it is too late. With mind sets like Sean Penn, Danny Glover, etc. that America is the evil in the world, that the world must “love” us again (don’t get me started on that one) and
Cuba and Chavez are “fantastico!” Already emerging reports that the world is “pleased” with us again, these misguided people will have a sense of calm, trust in Obama.It will be like we are living in the movie “Invasion of the Body Snatchers”

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Chewy the Lab on November 9, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Oh my aching back. These kind of people who say they are pro-life and then make excuses for why they voted for Obama make me sick! My friend and I were discussing this yesterday. She said that she could not believe members of our church voted for Obama. We are all strongly pro-life. When she asked, they responded (imagine wide-eye innocence)”Oh Obama has kids, he could never hurt the children.” I am an old woman but if they would stand still long enough I would kick thier asses!

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Look what else is in the pipeline:

After Push for Obama, Unions Seek New Rules

WASHINGTON — After making millions of phone calls and knocking on millions of doors to elect Barack Obama, the nation’s labor unions have begun a new campaign: to get the new president and Congress to pass legislation that would make it easier for workers to unionize.

snip

Labor’s No. 1 priority is a piece of legislation called the Employee Free Choice Act, also known as the card-check bill. The bill would give workers the right to join a union as soon as a majority of employees at a workplace signed cards saying they wanted one. Business groups have attacked the legislation because it would take away employers’ right to insist on holding a secret-ballot election to determine whether workers favored unionization.

Bilby on November 9, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Then he will go after those as well…

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Not so easy when not on the public airwaves.

Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 10:56 AM

While American voters feel some ambiguity on abortion…Ed

I can assure you, there are a great many voters who feel no ambiguity on abortion, Ed. Thank God.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Easier than you think…watch

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 10:58 AM

and he will do it right under our noses and with the assistance of the MSM which has been preparing the battlefield for him with disingenuous propaganda as naval gunfire. They’re starting to establish Obama’s narrative for the first 100 days: no recent President has inherited such a crisis since FDR and Lincoln. Let the hagiography begin!

sladenyv on November 9, 2008 at 10:59 AM

The economic chaos in the US and the world will facilitate Obama’s communist goal of implementing communism in the US without firing a shot; this has always been the communit goal; they did not want to take over the US thru a war and get a complete destroyed US; they won

tocoloro on November 9, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention…when sites like this disappear on January 20, you can bet that part of the inauguration address will include a strong admonition for ALL Americans to register at Change.gov

Chewy the Lab on November 9, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Glynn,

Yeah but the problem is that they are increasingly a vocal minority and their strident attacks (calling people baby killers, accusing Obama of infanticide) is doing nothing to further their ultimate goal, less abortions in America.

Here’s my question for the pro-lifers. Since Roe V. Wade has any Republican President caused a decrease in the number of abortions in this country? Why do people ignore the evidence that when you decrease the number of unwanted pregnancies, i.e. via contraception access and sex education, and instead push only on this issue of the act of abortion. If you REALLY think abortion is the ultimate sin then you should be infavor of a politician who explicitly says the number of abortions should be reduced and who points out that the best way to do that is to make sure there are as few unwanted pregnancies as possible. This strident moralistic tone does nothing to further your cause, in fact, it marginalizes you. Calm down.

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 11:00 AM

…they (Bush Administration) could unilaterally throw out the Geneva Conventions…

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Puhlease. These jackasses were/are not soldiers for any country. The reality is that they’re actually volunteer mercenaries. And mercenaries are not required to be treated as combatants as defined under Article 75 of the Geneva Convention.

eanax on November 9, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Atheists, ilegal aliens, cowards, idiots, ignorants, black racists, islamic dogs, abortionists, drug users, homosexuals
constituted the bulk of Obama’s voters

tocoloro on November 9, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Article 75 of the Geneva Convention…

Edit: Article 47 is the original.

eanax on November 9, 2008 at 11:02 AM

You should qualify for whom you attempt to speak. Only in the White House and the mainstream media does this calm exist. Among at least half of us we see the total demise of the nation. These are truly sad times for the Republic.

Do you want to see the “Constitution” . . . check the nearest Washington D.C. dumpster, It’ll be that old crumpled up piece of brown paper way down at the bottom.

rplat on November 9, 2008 at 11:02 AM

when the economy goes to shit, all these government powers given to the unions are gonna make matters worse

there’s nothing wrong with unions, but they shouldnt get government special privileges

lodge on November 9, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Glynn,

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Please spare me. And besides, it is a moral issue and I will not calm down. I will carry the banner fighting for the unborn as long as I live. Are you really saying that people don’t know what causes babies or that they are not aware of birth control. PLEASE! Not in this day and age and not in this time. Did you know that 11% of women say they are having abortions because it is “inconvenient.” Good grief.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Contraception? Fine. No problem.

Murder of innocents? Sorry. Will never support.

Too emotional?

Tough.

Limerick on November 9, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Here is how one very wise Philadelphia lawyer suggests we fight back before Inauguration Day:

*Appoint U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois Patrick Fitzpatrick as a special prosecutor so he can pursue his investigation of Tony Rezko and his corrupt dealings with Illinois’s governor and other creatures and spoilsmen of the Daley Machine. This will make it politically difficult for a President Obama to pardon Mr. Rezko and impossible for him to terminate Mr. Fitzpatrick as a federal officer come January 21 as a way of de-railing this investigation.

* Appoint a special prosecutor to investigate ACORN’s voter registration methods and its dealings with the Obama campaign.

* Appoint a special prosecutor to investigate the Obama campaign’s on-line fundraising operation, including its disabling of the credit card security software on its on-line donations system. File a complaint with the Federal Election Commission regarding same.

* Appoint a bipartisan (love that word!) presidential commission to review the candidates’ fundraising in this election cycle and to recommend changes in federal election laws.

File ethics complaints against Sen. Chris Dodd and Congressman Barney Frank for their relationship with Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and Countrywide Mortgage.

Buy Danish on November 9, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Make no mistake about it, there many dogs and bastards liberal communists in the US that want the US dfeated; we will keep our guns well greased, we will be ready for them

tocoloro on November 9, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Executive orders are supposed to be issued to control the Executive Branch not the Judiciary or ordinary people. In my opinion, the most abusive executive order was the one that interred the Japanese-Americans in WW2. The Armed Forces were integrated with an Executive Order which was perfectly legitimate since Truman was the Commander in Chief. There are plenty of areas where The One can abuse his power, and I believe he will try.

Pelayo on November 9, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Buy Danish on November 9, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Sounds great.. now, who has the cajones to do it? (Crickets chirping)

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 11:08 AM

About 1,450 days left to kick Obama out of the white house; I just joined site to impeach him now

tocoloro on November 9, 2008 at 11:08 AM

56 million americans voted against Obama

tocoloro on November 9, 2008 at 11:08 AM

It was a bloodless Marxist revolution and the mindless masses were duped, . . . get used to that, jackass.

rplat on November 9, 2008 at 11:09 AM

So its better to carry on the fight, then to figure out all the possible ways to reduce abortions? This is why I don’t get strident conservatism.

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 11:09 AM

rplat on November 9, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Amen, history tends to repeat itself…

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Glynn,
He’s crawled out from under his rock to sun himself, let’s not poke him with sticks.

thomasaur on November 9, 2008 at 11:10 AM

This is the Barack Obama I thought I knew.

EnglishMike on November 9, 2008 at 11:10 AM

I don’t snort cocaine, I just love the way it smells.

Buy Danish on November 9, 2008 at 10:48 AM

LOL…The idiots feel the rush indeed!

Dritanian on November 9, 2008 at 11:11 AM

I wish I could say I was surprised about the “elected one” and the immediate damage he will do to the nation. This guy has never been a centrist and I seriously doubt he or any of his vast army of advisors will do anything, but continue to rip this country apart. Instead of a uniter he is pushing full steam ahead as the great divider I just hope it doesn’t create a 1860s response from the red states. Enjoy your Sunday folks I need to step back and forget about how horrible last week was!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE (mo-lone lah-veh) Translation: Come and take them!

Retired USAF on November 9, 2008 at 11:11 AM

From what I’ve read Obama does have a history of going after policies and people that stand in his way, but doing it through legal loopholes and interpretations. I’m still trying hard to give him the benefit of the doubt and will wait and see what he actually does when he takes office. In my case, he will not have to prove himself, he will have to DIS-prove the opinions I have formed of him already. However, I do read that Emanuel is a centrist, has voted that way and usually supports this governance. This is, for now at least, a positive thing.

jeanie on November 9, 2008 at 11:11 AM

rplat on November 9, 2008 at 11:09 AM

How elitist of you. I thought it was wrong to question the Democratic will of the people or to describe them as being “duped” by inconsequential things. Isn’t that, according to conservative dogma, exactly what Dem-Lib elitists did during the Bush years as they marveled as to how people could so “stupidly” vote for a “stupid” President. Obama won a larger margin of victory than Bush ever did, so your claims are even more doubly elitist.

Oh wait, it’s only elitism when you criticize Americans for voting Republican. Got it! Another partisan hack exposed.

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Manchuria calls it’s Candidate.

TinMan13 on November 9, 2008 at 11:12 AM

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Actually Abortions have been decreasing under Bush. Contarty to the lies spread by those like you that have no balls to stand up to such evil .

AND yes Obama stood up for infanticide. He would not stand up for the rights of humans who were already born. So much for that silly definition of life. You can spin all you want but that is a fact.

Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Go ahead… fund abortion with my tax dollars here and abroad as well as killing hEsc… I may not be able to stop that without suing, but if you come for my guns… i’ll see to it you only receive some of the expended ammo. how’s that for my own executive order!?

Like we need a reason to go for the throat on this… Just load us up.

You don’t play with fire and not expect to get burned.

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 11:13 AM

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Right you don’t… the only way to reduce abortions is to prevent kids and people unmarried/ unable to properly raise a child. Since that notion is seemingly ridiculous to moderates and liberals… than you tell me how to stop abortions… Obviously, handing out condoms like candy ain’t cutting it… and , by the way, I happen to support some abortions, like in the case of rape..

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 11:13 AM

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Yep! YOU! Troll.

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 11:14 AM

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 11:12 AM

What else would you say when–

1) Joe Biden said Obama was not prepared
2) Joe Biden said our enemies would test Obama
3) Howard Dean said we needed a President in time of war that had actually been on the field of war.
4) Joe Biden said McCain would make a great part of a Presidential ticket.

Seems you and the people of this country are quite stupid. Sorry but listening to your leaders.

Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 11:15 AM

Actually Abortions have been decreasing under Bush.
Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 11:12 AM

I stand corrected. However, I wonder if you are willing to accept fact check.org’s assesment of the charge that Obama supported infanticide. They are as dubious of that claim as they are of the claim that abortions increased under Bush. You can’t cherry pick your fact checks.

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 11:16 AM

beththebaker,
see my post @11:10

thomasaur on November 9, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Contraception? Fine. No problem.

Murder of innocents? Sorry. Will never support.

Too emotional?

Tough.

Limerick on November 9, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Exactly… I’ll die by the sword long before I acquiesce to murder by the abortionist’s knife.

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Glynn,

thomasaur on November 9, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Oh, silly me. I saw his screen name and assumed he was honest. I can see by his posts that he is just another troll. Thank you for cluing me in. I really need to not be so trusting of people. :)

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 11:16 AM

-A.Lincoln

It begins with a cool, fundamental disrespect for life.

And spreads like unmarked hemlock from there.

Barry, the untested, is about to be tasted.

*spit*

profitsbeard on November 9, 2008 at 11:17 AM

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 11:16 AM

BornAliveTruth.org. Somewhere a rock is missing you.

Glynn on November 9, 2008 at 11:18 AM

The only positive thing about this is that it will be a flagrant slap in the face to all the pro-life people who were stupid enough to support Obama.

katiejane on November 9, 2008 at 9:48 AM

Pro-life people did not vote for him.

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Actually Abortions have been decreasing under Bush.
Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 11:12 AM

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 11:16 AM

This is a stupid argument… one abortion is one too many. It is the killing of human life. At the least it is manslaughter and at the most it is homicide. Either way, it is a holocaust of an entire generation.

You would think these ignorant libs would want more babies so there will be more taxpayers to fund all their foolishly devised entitlements and government nanny-state policies. Once again, the infinite ignorance of liberalism fails to live up to the logic test.

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 11:19 AM

thomasaur on November 9, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Got it… but helps to paste the post you are commenting on…. keeps the flow for us ADD readers :)

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Contraception? Fine. No problem.

What about the type of pill that prevents the fertilized embryo from attaching to the uterus and thus preventing development.

Some birth control pills like the “morning after” pills are in fact abortive agents.

I am going to take an extreme position just for the sake of argument. Doesn’t every human egg have a right to become a person? Why does an unfertilized egg get such short shrift.

Pelayo on November 9, 2008 at 11:19 AM

You can’t cherry pick your fact checks.

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 11:16 AM

The fact is by default ..Obama allowed humans to die. You are complicit.

Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Oh also, McCain was killed by women.

DeathToMediaHacks on November 9, 2008 at 10:52 AM

McCain got beat because he was a poor candidate.

eanax on November 9, 2008 at 11:21 AM

I think I can admit to having some level of ambiguity about abortion now. I don’t think I could ever agree to killing my kids, but I am starting to see the potential benefits of the liberals killing theirs. I mean, heck, if this were to go on long enough the problem should correct itself in a generation or two. I wish Obama’s mom had held this new liberal creed. The more I think of it, it might not be a bad idea, at least when we are talking about liberals’ kids, to move the legal point of when they become invested in all the rights of humans to somewhere in the area of about 18 years old. Then if they still liberal when they get about ready to vote, it might be OK to just choose not to let them “remain viable”.

MikeA on November 9, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Your retort is nonsensical and obviously you’re losing it. There is no person of sound mind and minimal intellect that could accept the destruction of democratic ideals as an acceptable outcome of the election process. You can take your vile Bush hating rhetoric and stick it in your ear . . . or the orifice of your choice.

rplat on November 9, 2008 at 11:22 AM

This is what happens when Republicans nominate a “squishy” candidate and abandon the ground game. Disaster.

ddrintn on November 9, 2008 at 11:22 AM

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 9:55 AM

I couldn’t agree with you more. Anyone who thinks he will be a benevolent dictator is wrong. He has hit the ground running and he will not stop until he has screwed us well and good.
I laugh when they say, “Give him a chance”. What other choice do we have? He was elected and he will be the president.

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Pelayo on November 9, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Palayo time for a biology class. You really should do yourself a favor and read up. If you take an egg and
do not fertilize it it will never ever grow. If you fertilize it human development begins but not before.
That is a straw argument.

Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 11:24 AM

The most dangerous enemy to Israel’s security is the intellectual inertia of those who are responsible for security.

Now, replace the word “Israel” with “America” and BAM! You got January 20th and afterwards….

mjk on November 9, 2008 at 11:25 AM

Pelayo on November 9, 2008 at 11:19 AM

I’ll give you the same argument as I give Hacks.

Of the millions of abortions which one of those zygotes, masses, or what ever you call them turn out to be an elephant, donkey, snake, or good bottle of wine?

Of the missions of unfertilized eggs which one of those would turn out to be a human being if left alone?

Done.

Limerick on November 9, 2008 at 11:25 AM

thomasaur on November 9, 2008 at 10:18 AM

That is part of the problem. We must not protect these people’s feelings. There is nothing wrong with telling people in a civil way that they were wrong. Make them justify their choice. If they talk long enough they will see that their is no justification.

mrsmwp on November 9, 2008 at 11:25 AM

I find it ironic that had abortion been available when this slug was conceived we wouldn’t even be talking about him.

thomasaur on November 9, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Abortion was available when he was conceived, but it was illegal so most young women did not have them. That is why it is important to make it illegal again. Millions of them will be prevented when this happens.

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 11:27 AM

thomasaur on November 9, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Thanks. He will do what he and Soros and fill in the blank with any dictator living or dead want. Why? Because now, they can. Will he be “elected” out of office in 4 years? Not likely…no matter how bad we think it gets.

beththebaker on November 9, 2008 at 11:27 AM

This is exactly the reaction one expects in a person with little or no executive experience. They tend to have the impression that leadership is all about giving orders and getting their own way. They don’t realize that successful leaders rely far more upon persuasion than upon giving orders.

If you cannot persuade people to follow you, all the orders in the world will do you no good. It only succeeds in making you appear weak.

I wonder how long it will take Obama to figure that out.

Marking Time on November 9, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Jamson64, I wrote “just for the sake of argument.” A human egg is what? a chimpanzee egg until a human male sperm makes it a human embryo?

For your information, I am one of these rare non-religious conservatives no one tells you about.

Pelayo on November 9, 2008 at 11:31 AM

I don’t want to read one more line about the Agent of Death’s “cute little girls.”

T J Green on November 9, 2008 at 10:21 AM

And seeing how the left targets black children in the womb, I’d have to call them “LUCKY, cute little girls.” I weep this morning for my country. I didn’t cry because the person I voted for lost, but today I mourn for the new hosts of angels that will be in heaven because of this man.

And now for your dose of Sunday morning preaching:
“Even so come, Lord Jesus!” (sorry, AP, but I can’t help it)

hoosiermama on November 9, 2008 at 11:31 AM

“At what point, then, is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach reach us it must spring up amongst us. It can never reach us from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we ourselves must be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide.”
-A.Lincoln

It begins with a cool, fundamental disrespect for life.

And spreads like unmarked hemlock from there.

Barry, the untested, is about to be tasted.

*spit*

profitsbeard on November 9, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Excellent quote, my friend.

Our battle is one waged in many forms throughout history. The time has come once again defend the voiceless and defenseless.

Prepare for war, if war be our lot “appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions… with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor.”

Let it not be said 100 years from now that man failed to uphold the self-evident, Creator endowed, rights of life and liberty.

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Btw, change.gov is down. No suitable nodes are available to serve your request.

Phoenician on November 9, 2008 at 11:34 AM

This is the Barack Obama I thought I knew.

EnglishMike on November 9, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Yeah, I am surprised that some people actually think he will govern from the center. He has absolutely no record of centrist positions, his campaign rhetoric notwithstanding. Pelosi and Reid are on his side. I expect him to move the country as far left as he can, while using tax “rebates” to create a growing population addicted to government handouts and so likely to vote democrat in the future, whatever he does.

ProfessorMiao on November 9, 2008 at 11:35 AM

1,450 days left to kick Obama out of the White House, impeach him now!!!!!

tocoloro on November 9, 2008 at 11:36 AM

1st & 2nd Amendments are the first targets… Governing (controlling) the internet is coming. Taxing the internet is coming. We can all look to the Tom Shipley’s of the country to thank some day. I don’t expect to see much of his kind around these parts as we watch this unfold.

Keemo on November 9, 2008 at 10:31 AM

I am so afraid that you are right. Eliminate communication and remove the means of self defense and you have the makings of totalitarianism. All the great murdering despots understand this. God help us.

Jvette on November 9, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Pelayo on November 9, 2008 at 11:31 AM

I am non-religious as well and it takes only a simple reading of a book on human development to know abortion is the killing of a distinct human.

Your “just for the sake of an argument” works well with the uneducated class that has become the perfect voter for abortion. There is a reason the left has allowed the destruction of public education.

Jamson64 on November 9, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Pelayo on November 9, 2008 at 11:31 AM

No, a human egg is a human egg and a human spermatozoon is human sperm… get a clue here…

YOUR ARGUMENT IS ENTIRELY ACADEMIC!

Once they meet and the cell divides you have created human life that should be thusly protected.

We let go of the right to life… we surrender all rights because they all are derived from this.

Fozzy Bear on November 9, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Btw, change.gov is down. No suitable nodes are available to serve your request.

Phoenician on November 9, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Ha…indeed it is. Sheer poetry.

ddrintn on November 9, 2008 at 11:40 AM