Palin on the leakers: “Those guys are jerks”

posted at 8:50 pm on November 7, 2008 by Allahpundit

First day back at work for the ‘Cuda, and it wasn’t uneventful. I’m giving you two versions, the nitty gritty 90-second hit from CNN and the extended director’s cut from MSNBC. No names are named, but the hint she drops about the NAFTA smear probably having come from one of her debate preppers is as heavy as a barbell. Who was in charge of prepping her? Among others, according to Fox News: Randy Scheunemann, her chief defender, as well as … Steve Schmidt and Mark Wallace, husband of Nicolle. Hmmmm.

The MSNBC clip heats up starting at around 1:45; apparently, she and McCain have been chatting about this. Exit quotation: “I never asked for anything more than maybe a Diet Dr. Pepper every once in awhile.”

Update: Ambinder on the Romney rumors:

As one of the first reporters to sense these ill-winds, I don’t see an organized conspiracy. The first people with whom I spoke had no connection to Romney’s campaign whatsoever — they were longtime McCain advisers and aides… so…they didn’t much like Mitt Romney. When Palin was first selected, of the five Romney aides/advisers I remember contacting, three had positive impressions and two had mixed impressions.

Now, as the campaign progressed, there were people who can be fairly described as being Romney advisers who began to criticize Palin and pass along what their Republican friends were telling them. But so did consultants, strategists and activists representing every potential 2012 candidate. And other Romney advisers continued to praise her.

Who ordered the hit on Palin? Everyone, apparently.

Update: The MSNBC clip’s long but worth watching, especially the part about double standards for women candidates.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7 8

Sure. It’s a shared royalty. She negotiated a higher payout from the firms. The funny thing is the country with the one of the highest living standards actually takes all their petro-dollar revenue and puts in it in a national fund rather than pay it directly to the public. I would like to see the feds do that with off shore revenue rather than spend it right away. They have only spent a fraction of their windfall. It is national saving on a massive scale. they understand that the revenue will dry up one day. It is a really interesting case study (Norway). They also manage to have one of the smallest gaps between income.

lexhamfox on November 8, 2008 at 2:21 AM

I agree that the Republican Party needs an overhaul, but is Palin the one to do it? I just fear she will push it to an even smaller tent, because her rhetoric has a tendency to be very polarizing.

I have a feeling that those weren’t Palin’s intentions. The campaign wanted for her to be culture warrior while McCain tried to appeal to some indies and moderate dems. If she ever runs, She would probably be a much different person then she was on the trail.

Here’s a clear up on that oil tax ordeal.

No, Palin didn’t institute a “windfall profits” tax on the oil companies. She modified the existing severance tax, which works more or less like a sales tax on resources taken out of the ground. (A windfall profit tax, of course, is based on profits.) Just by the way, how is it she’s both “in the pocket of the oil companies” and supposedly instituting a windfall profits tax anyway?

Palinpuma on November 8, 2008 at 2:24 AM

Illegal immigration needs to be done. They have sucked off of this Country enough. They are part of the reason this crisis happened. Here in Ca. almost 5 million homes in foreclosure and they are illegals. That is the gods truth. Is that fair? They couldn’t pay for them. But, got them through Freddie, Fannie and Hud. They need to go. And that is one thing that McCain didn’t mention. That bothered me.

sheebe on November 8, 2008 at 2:24 AM

Bush never escaped his media image. And it hurt his presidency and the Republican Party.

haner on November 8, 2008 at 2:11 AM

Jeeze, Bush won two elections. The media was totally against Bush and in the tank for Gore and Kerry. What did he say that didn’t click?

The Republican Party hurt themselves. Bush had nothing to with that.

Kini on November 8, 2008 at 2:24 AM

sheebe on November 8, 2008 at 2:19 AM

I would love the Fair Tax plan but someone needs to explain to me how it doesn’t deter new home building when only new homes are taxed. Say I buy a 200,000 new as opposed to a 200,000 older home. On the new one I pay a hefty 46,000 dollars in tax and on the other I just pay 200,000. And can I finance the taxed amount into the mortgage. Anyone?

hawkdriver on November 8, 2008 at 2:24 AM

I have some friends in Alaska, and they do get a check once a month from the Revenue or what ever they call it. Usually is pretty big one. They do get it.

sheebe on November 8, 2008 at 2:27 AM

sheebe on November 8, 2008 at 2:24 AM

No, we all squinted our eyes and tried to believe he’d move right on that issue, but he and President Bush were both in to one extent or the other for amnesty. Remember McCain said, Who else can we get to pick lettuce for 50 bucks an hour. Er, our teenagers could earn a lot of college money like that, (if it really were 50 bucks an hour)

hawkdriver on November 8, 2008 at 2:28 AM

I really think the spanish networks and the other media outlets will hammer her on that issue if she adopts it. I don’t know much support she will gain if she adopts such a position. Net Gain? Net Loss?

Palinpuma on November 8, 2008 at 2:29 AM

hawkdriver on November 8, 2008 at 2:24 AM

Let me find this site. Might not be tonight, but it explains in detail. My eyes roll when I try to understand it. Tomorrow will call my friend and get the site that it was on. The Fair Tax site don’t explain it to good.

sheebe on November 8, 2008 at 2:29 AM

Kini

You really don’t think Bush’s 2nd term hurt Republicans? The lowest approval ratings on record? If he was an asset then why didn’t he campaign at all?

lexhamfox on November 8, 2008 at 2:30 AM

haner on November 8, 2008 at 2:11 AM

I’ve never understood the “too polarizing” argument. Any political figure with principles is going to be polarizing. Reagan was polarizing. The trick is to convince more people to “see the light” and join your side. Palin was on track to do that pretty well before the relentless slime-job; and having her in a cocoon while being slimed didn’t help.

ddrintn on November 8, 2008 at 2:31 AM

hawkdriver on November 8, 2008 at 2:28 AM

I know. But they know how much they have been bringing our Country down. It needs to be dealt with. Amnesty would be so unfair. They came here against our Laws. They had no respect for that. But, yes I understand why he didn’t want to mention it.

sheebe on November 8, 2008 at 2:32 AM

sheebe on November 8, 2008 at 2:29 AM

I’ll look for you to post it. I do wish taxes were more simple and more fair. One thing I do believe it’s critics say about the FT Plan is that it’ll hurt the poor. Neil Boortz went into great detail about venders and service providers removing that hidden tax we all pay for goods and services and the fact that they’d have to pass that savings on if they wanted to remain completive with their, er, competitors.

hawkdriver on November 8, 2008 at 2:34 AM

lexhamfox on November 8, 2008 at 2:30 AM

To be honest with you, when The Dictator won. I was hoping Bush would have a press conference. Felt like he was hiding. It was a slap in my face. Like I never mattered. A monster could probably be running our Country. And he can’t come out and at least say something. I don’t know I might be sensitive. I hope that Birth Certificate is the secret to get him out. Then I could sleep better.

sheebe on November 8, 2008 at 2:35 AM

hawkdriver on November 8, 2008 at 2:34 AM

I come on here constantly, when I notice you posting, then I will put it on for you. They have proven that it has been tested and works.

sheebe on November 8, 2008 at 2:36 AM

Republicans can make a good name for themselves locally in state and local government. That is how parties learn and get close to the voting public again. On the national level… they are out of the game for the time being and can play with the inevitable splits in the opposition. They did it before. They can do it again.

lexhamfox on November 8, 2008 at 2:36 AM

The Republican Party hurt themselves. Bush had nothing to with that.

Kini on November 8, 2008 at 2:24 AM

My 2 cents…In 2000 the American public was tired of cigars being bantied about in the Oval Office; Gore couldn’t decide which color sweater to wear; Gore ignored Clinton during the general which hurt him with the Clintonites; Bush had Rove…In 2004 Americans trusted Bush when it came to fighting the war; didn’t trust the flip-flopper; Kerry was from MA; Bush had Rove.

Bush 2 didn’t like the Washington media because of the way they treated Bush 1. Having said that, Bush 2 should’ve been less resolute and understood that he needed to use the media to help the public understand his policies and actions better. By not standing up to some of the pork filled bills that crossed his desk, Bush 2 did hurt the party. BUT, I feel that the Republicans in Congress let him down, tremendously…

Gohawgs on November 8, 2008 at 2:37 AM

To be honest with you, when The Dictator won. I was hoping Bush would have a press conference. Felt like he was hiding. It was a slap in my face. Like I never mattered. sleep better.

sheebe on November 8, 2008 at 2:35 AM

The worst slap was when Bush came out with Paulson with this bailout garbage. That one will always sting.

ddrintn on November 8, 2008 at 2:38 AM

Kini

lexhamfox on November 8, 2008 at 2:30 AM

The congress was half of his approval rating. The reason he didn’t campaign was because the media almost dared him too. They would have made an issue if he did, they made an issue because he didn’t. I honestly think besides getting Obama elected, the thing that gives them the most satisfaction is the fact that they’ve made his live a living hell since the Kumbuya of 9-11 wore off.

hawkdriver on November 8, 2008 at 2:38 AM

cigars being bantiedpantied about

FIFY

hawkdriver on November 8, 2008 at 2:39 AM

lexhamfox on November 8, 2008 at 2:30 AM

Remember, congress has a lower rating than Bush.

Look, Bush’s 2004 second election brought in more Republicans into the House and Senate than ever before. It was their responsibility to manage their terms. Bush was relying on political capitol to which the elected 2004 republicans let him down.

2006 elections proved that when the dems won the house and senate. Yet, they, the dems, cannot get anything done. They were suppose to the mandate, end the war, impeach Bush, blah blah blah.

No, Bush is the President. He won the prize. Two terms.
The country elected Jimmy Carter 2.0. Buyers Remorse in 3… 2…

Kini on November 8, 2008 at 2:40 AM

Damn I’m stupid, what I meant to say was “One thing I do not believe it’s critics say about the FT Plan is that it’ll hurt the poor.”

hawkdriver on November 8, 2008 at 2:41 AM

The media is a reflection of the public. Look at the run up to the war… the media was all for it. You really can’t blame the media. Even if you say the media was responsible for half the approval rating, it was so low that the other half was his own fault.

lexhamfox on November 8, 2008 at 2:42 AM

ddrintn on November 8, 2008 at 2:38 AM

You are so right. Paulson is a thief. A down right crook. He should be on trial or in jail. His tactics were very ruthless. He basically sort of pointed a gun to the banks and said sell us your stock or else. I don’t like him, and never have. And Bernanke he is a crook too.

sheebe on November 8, 2008 at 2:43 AM

Hawkdriver,

A more accurate statement might be “thonged” about…

Gohawgs on November 8, 2008 at 2:44 AM

lexhamfox on November 8, 2008 at 2:42 AM

Wow, I’m not sure I remember the media being jiggy with the run-up to the war. I do agree when he demonstrated he firmly lost Conservative roots like with the amnesty issue, his points went down because he lost conservative support.

hawkdriver on November 8, 2008 at 2:45 AM

ddrintn on November 8, 2008 at 2:38 AM

Those coattails will be hard to wipe away.

Kini on November 8, 2008 at 2:47 AM

The media is a reflection of the public.

lexhamfox on November 8, 2008 at 2:42 AM

No, it’s not.

Media is a manipulation of the public.

Kini on November 8, 2008 at 2:49 AM

I still love my president.

I still love Sarah Palin and think if she really sets her mind to it, she could run at the top of the ticket in 12. (After some thought, I am more curious about her appointing herself to Ted Stevens position after we through his ass in jail.

I don’t totally disagree with any of you guys. I am reassured that the preponderance of us agree we need to get back to our conservative base to win again.

I do totally need to go to bed.

Nite

hawkdriver on November 8, 2008 at 2:51 AM

This is odd that I mentioned Banks. In Texas and Ca. The Regulators closed more Banks. Franklin Bank and Security Pacific. Glad that wasn’t mine. We had Wachovia, but luckily, we didn’t have any money in it. We use it for the Visa. And only put money in when we know we will use it.

sheebe on November 8, 2008 at 2:51 AM

throw his ass

DAMN IM STUPID

hawkdriver on November 8, 2008 at 2:52 AM

hawkdriver on November 8, 2008 at 2:51 AM

nite :)

sheebe on November 8, 2008 at 2:52 AM

Paulson was right… and he is also a terrible communicator. He admits that. The bailout was not a bail out. It was not free money. They had to… and still need to restore credit confidence. This is still going on. Ben Stein was on TV today saying that that ‘bail out’ was way too small.

This is not about socialism… this is about fixing fluid markets that seized up. Don’t let ideology get in the way of saving the underpinnings of our free markets. It might seem counter intuitive but it is a temporary measure and the government can sell its stake when the system recovers.

lexhamfox on November 8, 2008 at 2:53 AM

So far no depositors have lost any money. More banks and big names will go to the wall over the next twelve months. Eventually things will improve but right now confidence is the issue.

lexhamfox on November 8, 2008 at 2:54 AM

I guess I better go to bed. Have to keep the wrinkles from coming. Some great conversations with you all. Some very intelligent ones at that. Sleep Sweet everyone!

Michelle, Ed and Al again, Thank you for this wonderful site!

sheebe on November 8, 2008 at 2:55 AM

lexhamfox on November 8, 2008 at 2:53 AM

But, if The Democrats would have agreed to regulate, this could have not been so bad. Paulson might have been right. But his ego wasn’t. Then the Package that passed had pork in it. Bush should have raised hell. We are in trouble, and those greedy bastards that we put in office, takes more money for their own selfish needs. I understand what you are saying though. But the way they acted was a bad approach. They needed to use more tact. They panicked a lot of people.

sheebe on November 8, 2008 at 2:58 AM

Oh, I know it isn’t Socialism, and understand that they can sell the stakes. Sorry forgot to add that.

sheebe on November 8, 2008 at 3:01 AM

lexhamfox on November 8, 2008 at 2:53 AM

Dude, let the markets fix themselves.

Bad business decisions should die.
Good business decisions will thrive.

Government should not get involved. That’s our tax money.

The Obama regime is planning to bail out the automotive industry.
I say no. Let GM fail. They haven’t produced a good vehicle since the 1960′s. Teh (teh deliberately) Unions failed the workers and will continue to fail.

Kini on November 8, 2008 at 3:01 AM

I better get to bed now. You all are spoiling me. Need toothpicks to hold eyelids up. Nighty night!!

sheebe on November 8, 2008 at 3:02 AM

I disagree. The derivatives behind the crisis… Credit debt swaps, were invented by Wall Street. They were unregulated. They were mostly traded among private firms… not the Macs. They got passed around like a virus and were used as investment tools across the boards. If the crisis were merely limited to Fanny and Freddie we would not be in a crisis. I know this goes against recent campaign dogma but it’s the truth.

lexhamfox on November 8, 2008 at 3:04 AM

sheebe on November 8, 2008 at 2:58 AM

Bush was already in office. Things changed in 2006 when the dems came to power. Doesn’t anyone see this?

Sure, Bush could have vetoed the bill. But what the hay.
People don’t seem to understand the problem.

Kini on November 8, 2008 at 3:07 AM

sheebe on November 8, 2008 at 3:02 AM

Aloha ahiahi!

Kini on November 8, 2008 at 3:08 AM

lexhamfox on November 8, 2008 at 2:53 AM

Dude, let the markets fix themselves.

Bad business decisions should die.
Good business decisions will thrive.

Government should not get involved.

I would normally agree. But think of it this way. If you consider credit and capital markets the infrastructure of the free market economy we all love then it is the duty of the government to keep it going as much as it is to keep highways going.

We all want the same thing but things are so out of whack right now the whole system itself is at stake. Let it go down the drain and it will take decades to set up again.

lexhamfox on November 8, 2008 at 3:08 AM

lexhamfox on November 8, 2008 at 3:04 AM

That’s partially correct.

If you create an environment (government induced) where quick money can be made, you’ve got a feeding frenzy. That is how the markets works. Profit is profit.

But, is it the governments role in creating profits? NO!!!!
Markets, at the end of the day (god, I hate that phrase), need to be payed.
The government can just print money. There is no profit in that.

Kini on November 8, 2008 at 3:15 AM

Let it go down the drain and it will take decades to set up again.

lexhamfox on November 8, 2008 at 3:08 AM

I do not agree.

There is plenty of money sitting on the fence waiting to junp in.
Remember the mantra…. Buy Low, Sell High.

Kini on November 8, 2008 at 3:18 AM

If the markets fail the money on the sidelines will be rendered worthless. I manage some of that sideline money but the firms I do this for will eventually burn that money up as the rest of the economy tanks. This problem is way beyond equity and finance markets. Businesses suffer, jobs are lost… the whole thing shrinks. Then you have 29 again. No upside.

The tools available in past situations are just not there. Monetarism worked before but something different is required now. Why do you think the fed… an independent, non-partisan, non-ideological, institution is so involved?

lexhamfox on November 8, 2008 at 3:38 AM

Then you have 29 again. No upside.

lexhamfox on November 8, 2008 at 3:38 AM

Different events and different circumstances. Don’tcha think?

If you think the fed is independent and non-partisan, then you are kidding yourself.

Greenspan warned about this coming, the congress ignored it. The media marveled at Greenspan’s Vocabulary skills and failed to listen to his cryptic meanderings. Cigar chomping Paul Volcker is in Obama’s economic circle. Sompting fishy here, ya tink?

The money is on the sidelines, it is there and waiting.

Bad investments are bad. They must fail and others will pick up the pieces. Unions and government have interfered with business to its failure. Mortgage investments: need I say more about what you can or cannot afford.

Unions were needed during a time when this country’s history needed them. They are going to destroy us now. I.E. GM.

Kini on November 8, 2008 at 4:09 AM

Some Old Audio Clips of Palin

Palinpuma on November 8, 2008 at 5:08 AM

Did I miss it or has McCain stoood up and fought for Sarah yet?

Basilsbest on November 8, 2008 at 5:54 AM

Sarah and him spoke on Friday… I think Sarah told them that she can defend herself and that she doesn’t need for him to come out for her.

Palinpuma on November 8, 2008 at 6:04 AM

Her hair doesn’t look too good here.

lodge on November 8, 2008 at 7:03 AM

“Is the RNC coming up to pick up the clothes?”

This is the biggest piece of douchebaggery I’ve ever seen.

As of now, and from now on:

F!@# every news reporter.

Hawkins1701 on November 8, 2008 at 7:15 AM

Ding Ding this is why it is Cameron’s fault he should have INVESITGATED so he is a cue card reader now, just regergitates what he hears and no investigation..good grief that is worse than I thought~

PiggieSez on November 7, 2008 at 9:34 PM

I’m late to this reply but I think it’s important to point out what a news reporter does – reports the news.

All the news agencies assign people to cover campaigns and they report what they see and hear, usually on a daily or more frequent basis. Carl Cameron was assigned to the McCain campaign for months to do just that.

When he was told certain things about Palin by senior McCain campaign staffers, he reported what he had been told and that he had been told. It was not presented in any way as “a FNC investigation has uncovered…” or the like. Cameron has reported information similarly probably hundreds of times leading up to the election, e.g. “McCain staffers said…” and until now nobody ever had a problem with it.

It’s not up to the “beat” reporter to investigate and verify information, as long as he is being honest about the source, which Cameron was.

I’m a bit dismayed that this explanation is even necessary.

Gilda on November 8, 2008 at 7:19 AM

Cameron wasn’t reporting any “news”, he was breathlessly spreading some gossip that he’s heard from an anonymous source. He and Sheperd Smith acted like a couple of nasty eighth grade girls picking apart one they didn’t like.

So you tell me, how far would pettiness like this go if he was “reporting” something he’d “heard” about Obama?

anniekc on November 8, 2008 at 8:00 AM

Updating My Forever Shit List?
……..I need names people!

try again later on November 8, 2008 at 8:07 AM

I like her hair messed up like that.. That’s Sarah.

Palinpuma on November 8, 2008 at 8:17 AM

Someone ask Sarah what’s black and white and red all over. Then watch the confused look when she finds out.

Vernon Hardapple on November 8, 2008 at 8:17 AM

Updating My Forever Shit List?
……..I need names people!

try again later on November 8, 2008 at 8:07 AM

Learn from Rahm Emmanuel. Rush said yesterday that he stabbed a steak knife into the table while naming names, saying “DEAD!” after each one. Maybe it’s time to borrow a thing or two from the left.

hoosiermama on November 8, 2008 at 8:20 AM

A bit of advice for Palin and her worshippers from Dan Hicks,

“How Can I Miss You If You Won’t Go Away?”

sanguine4 on November 8, 2008 at 8:21 AM

Don’t you forget that 56 million americans rejected the black racist communist; he won because racism on the part of blacks and hispanics; most whites rejected him

tocoloro on November 8, 2008 at 8:21 AM

Meanwhile where is John McCain?

Meet The Real Sarah Palin Blog, Has a posted a “Dear John Letter” to Senator John McCain, with a link to send your feedback, about his lack of support of his running mate, election has been ABSENT “Don’t Forget Your Wingman John”

Dr Evil on November 8, 2008 at 8:22 AM

I am keeping my faith. Sarah is a threat to these guys as is Leiberman. Thats all the hub bub.

johnnyU on November 8, 2008 at 8:41 AM

Meanwhile where is John McCain?

I was pretty ticked at him for not standing up for her too, but now that we know definitively that she’s talked to him about all this I think she must have told him to let her handle it. It makes her look tougher to fight her own battles. The New York Times article on this today certainly makes it sound like he’s disgusted with it and knocked some heads behind the scenes. I think that’s why you saw Rick Davis on Fox last night and Nicolle Wallace on Today yesterday morning. Though both offered, in my view, a less than full-throated defense at least they came out and said something. They also probably noticed that people are pissed and that people in the party are on the ‘Cuda’s side in all this.

I think it’s possible that all this could die down now if the ‘Cuda refuses to engage on it during her interview with Greta on Monday. It seems like there might not be any more smears to put out there. So, at this point, if she and McCain don’t feed into it anymore it could die for lack of food.

meltenn on November 8, 2008 at 8:46 AM

Cameron wasn’t reporting any “news”

anniekc on November 8, 2008 at 8:00 AM

Of course he was. The news was what they said, that they said it and who (generally) said it. (Not the demonstrable veracity of the statements.)

I would have preferred that he present the information in a more neutral manner but it would be irrational to criticize him for essentially doing his assigned job, which is exactly what happened here.

I am disgusted with the people who told him those things, not with the guy who brought it to our attention. Had a high-level Obama staffer said something equally odious about Biden I would fully expect the reporter to report as that as well, and would consider him remiss if he did not.

But if you are hellbent on taking it out on Carl Cameron instead of the leakers then I suppose no amount of well-reasoned argument can deter you.

Gilda on November 8, 2008 at 8:46 AM

I trust that Sarah will tackle now anybody and ANYTHING.

Like Oprah, Sarah is “UNLEASHED”.

Get your popcorn my dear fellas, aside from the major breaks “He Who Has An Empty Suit” is putting on all his promises, Sarah will be a must-watch if she does go for a post-election round of interviews.

Let me tell you; I of course took down my McCain yard sign that I taped inside my bay window; I took off the McCain bumper sticker on the back of the van, but “Sarah!” STAYS PUT.

She’s my girl, PUMA’s are still on the offensive-from what I have read-and I hope that lil’ Piper feels better about all this mess.

ProudPalinFan on November 8, 2008 at 9:04 AM

Anyone think JMcCain himself leaked the nonsense? He would have heard it 2nd or 3rd hand and garbled it…maybe tied a few on in his miserable loss. Good reason why no one has been identified as The Leaker and JMc’s not speaking up. Et tu, Brute?

gracie on November 8, 2008 at 9:07 AM

The media is a reflection of the public. Yes, the media is a reflection of a slice of the public, namely the Democrats, the nutroots, and the prurient s**t-disturbers who are on a seek and destroy mission to destroy anybody who has a tinge of common sense and operates politically from a position of values and principles.

technopeasant on November 8, 2008 at 9:19 AM

Fortunately the way that it works here is that we will decide if your arguments are well reasoned or otherwise. I don’t think you have presented any thus far.

And you seem to have a strange notion as to what is Newsworthy and what is tabloid TMZ rumor mongering.

Geochelone on November 8, 2008 at 9:30 AM

We the rank and file have got to help get her prepped for round #2. That is, unless she has concluded there’s nothing down here in the lower 48 except snakes, weasels, and rats.

Here’s a start. If anybody knows a way to get in touch with her, please suggest that she find a pretext to visit Putin & Medevev. Talk about a pipeline, a bridge over the straights, lost polar bears, it doesn’t matter what. When she returns, she should publish her impressions of the Russian leadership and their ultimate intentions. You know, poach in Biden’s pond, but unlike him reveal shrewdness. Have her give ideas on energy, it’s a hot topic that’s only going to hotter. And so on. And so on.

It’s about accustoming people down here to asking themselves, Wonder what Sarah thinks.

dhimwit on November 8, 2008 at 9:48 AM

Hog Wild,

What does your name reference?

Gohawgs on November 8, 2008 at 1:20 AM

Hog = The motorcycle I ride, Harley Davidson. If I have to explain it, then you wouldn’t understand :)

Wild = On my last MEU deployment in the Med, an offficer said of me during an exercise in Spain “That Gunnery Sergeant needs to be kept in a cage”. My C.O. relayed the remark to me, but he never tried to tame me.

Life is an adventure, be sure not to miss it ;)

Hog Wild on November 8, 2008 at 9:53 AM

That is your right. And, simultaneously, your wrong, as I have outlined in detail the functions and job description of the campaign “beat” reporter, which you have not credibly refuted here. If you have, previously and elsewhere in this thread, then please post a link to your substantive rebuttal.

(As an aside: I have however noticed a couple of childish and vulgar comments you’ve made in your grand total of less than a week as a HA commenter, which just might serve to reduce your credibility a bit, if you get my drift.)

Geochelone on November 8, 2008 at 9:30 AM

Please see my above description of what, in this case, constitutes the “news.” To reiterate, it is not the demonstrable veracity of the statements but that those statements were made.

The way to prevent these kinds of statements from becoming news is to not make them to news reporters in the first place.

Gilda on November 8, 2008 at 9:53 AM

lexhamfox on November 8, 2008 at 2:53 AM

The “bailout” apparently isn’t going only or primarily into buying up toxic financial instruments, though. It’s also been going toward bank capitalization and consolidation, which appears to have been Treasury’s goal all along.

ddrintn on November 8, 2008 at 10:18 AM

For all the naysayers on Palin , it will end if she is asked to campaign for Chambliss in Georgia.
We will see who has the real GOP clout- conservatives or RINO’s -choose wisely Saxby.

jjshaka on November 8, 2008 at 10:22 AM

She should use the questions about NAFTA and other issues as a springboard to display her knowledge on those topics, especially with the added time she’s had to research. When she says in the CNN clip “the continent versus the country when you talk about Africa” that doesn’t help her.

dedalus on November 8, 2008 at 10:31 AM

lexhamfox on November 8, 2008 at 3:04 AM

I understand that, but if the debt swaps were limited as a result of available capital for the original loans as opposed to loans being slung with” fresh off the press ” Fed money I see a gigantic difference.

Once private institutions start using Fed money I feel they stop being private.

Nobody would have made these deals with their own money and they were eased into not only by the influx of Fed money but also by the rules for getting it.

The sad thing is this may be my education in economics by watching it happen and applying some logic, but I know there really are people who knew that as soon as the real estate market started to slow this would snowball.

Dropping counterfeit money on your enemies is a tried and true tactic.

I just find it amazing that our government did it to us.

Sonosam on November 8, 2008 at 10:42 AM

OK, I need to stop doing this, but…

“Those guys are jerks” is a non-denial.

indythinker on November 8, 2008 at 10:53 AM

IMHO Gov. Palen might not be ready for the top spot in 2012. I think we should set our sites on another VP spot with a proven strong conservative as the Pres. Remember she is only in her mid forties, and has along carrier ahead of her. I would rather see the base shaken so hard the fillings in the old farts fall out, then a ground up rebuilding, the sad part is that the base in it’s present form will not support Gov. Palen, when the tide shifts and it will Gov. Palen will make a GREAT President maby after a four year stint as VP. in 2012 she will be proven to all that she is ready for the TOP SPOT in 2016

driver on November 8, 2008 at 10:54 AM

OK, I need to stop doing this, but…

“Those guys are jerks” is a non-denial.

indythinker on November 8, 2008 at 10:53 AM

No it isn’t.

csdeven on November 8, 2008 at 11:06 AM

driver on November 8, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Palin will be ready in two years to be ten times the executive that chimpyMacFanniemae will ever be.

csdeven on November 8, 2008 at 11:07 AM

The idiot wing of the GOP is really maddening. Idiot governor=Savior Unlicensed Hack Plumber-type on Welfare=Inspiration

Its morons who support these 2 that lost NC and IN.

Geezzzz

Vernon Hardapple on November 8, 2008 at 11:16 AM

csdeven on November 8, 2008 at 11:07 AM

I think she was ready for VP in this election BUT with the msm out cut her throat on the zeros behalf the damage will take years to repair

driver on November 8, 2008 at 11:24 AM

indythinker on November 8, 2008 at 10:53 AM

If that was all she said you might be right but it wasn’t. Why would credence be given to stories from nameless faceless representatives but someone speaking on the record in front of a camera is lying? Does this mean the story about Sen. McCain’s affair in the New York Times is true afterall?

Vernon Hardapple on November 8, 2008 at 11:16 AM

There’s obviously a whole lot of morons out there. The Republican Party ran honorable people dedicated to public service for the betterment of ALL of her citizens. And maybe the Democrats did to, but we don’t know that because we don’t know very much about the President-elect. Let’s hope that we don’t find out to late that winning isn’t everything.

Cindy Munford on November 8, 2008 at 11:35 AM

They fear this woman.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 8, 2008 at 12:03 PM

dhimwit on November 8, 2008 at 9:48 AM

========================================================

Wonderful xcuz!!! :D

I have one…International adoption of babies with special needs in Russia. I dunno if that could work but on my DH’s side of the family we have an international adoption agency… didn’t mean to advertise but if you want to look at absolute cuties, here it is: http://eaci.com.

When Sarah went to North Royalton for a rally, the Exec. Director went to the rally. Dang the agency has better relations with Russia than Washington!

I wonder if they could give her a closed-doors private tour of the museum, and a meet-and greet with the inventor of the AK-47 (still alive!) and have her fire some rounds. My in-laws got that privilege, they should give that same courtesy to Sarah and Todd too!

ProudPalinFan on November 8, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Oh and on this issue of “Republicans being the dumb ones”, keep in mind that there is a track of this too. Think back.

And about this situation, it would not surprise me at all that there was a plant with her…AFRICA gives me that *hint*.

ProudPalinFan on November 8, 2008 at 12:09 PM

dedalus on November 8, 2008 at 10:31 AM

And once again .. who cares? If you are sitting there blabbing about Africa and you get into … “South Africa? The part of the continent, no the country …”

Why is that important … I don’t believe it is true at all but come on people

If you are going to sit here and believe that a woman in her 40s doesn’t know that Africa is a continent … then I have some beach front property in Kentucky … some people want to destroy her for political reasons and I guess they are getting people to by it

joey24007 on November 8, 2008 at 12:29 PM

should be “buy”

joey24007 on November 8, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Here’s a clear up on that oil tax ordeal.

Palinpuma on November 8, 2008 at 2:24 AM

excellent post

I’m still surprised at people’s inability to understand what a VP Candidate is and does historically compared to what we “Expected from Palin”

Historically a VP candidate is treated like Joe Biden was … he goes around and attracts 400 people to a speech and he just parrots his campaign’s talking points and goes after the other side and nobody really cares because he is the VP candidate

but with Palin, she was in the spotlight from day one … a governor from a state and the next day she is supposed to be an expert on everything from the budget of the Dept. of Transportation to how she would handle a crisis in the Suez Canal … she was not treated as the typical VP choice, she was “rolled out” very poorly, in this 24 hour news cycle you never EVER agree to have a first and second interview shown over more than one day and you never allow the network to control the editing absolutely. And why have only one or two interviews in the first couple of weeks… have an interview everyday … everybody is going to have a bad day, so if you have 10 interviews over 3 days and have one bad one … it doesn’t look so bad, right? That strategy was horrible

We have had governors who ran for PRESIDENT that weren’t in the crosshairs like this.

When it comes down to it her pick sent a message … she was attractive, from a “Rural” state, she had a folksy charm to her … so she must be an idiot! Attack, attack, attack

So she had a couple of bad interviews … big deal … in her biggest performance of the campaign … the debate, she did a hell of a job, especially considering her opponent had been play the DC game for some 40 years.

Give her a break people … let her go back to Alaska and if she decides to give it another shot, let her

If the standards that are applied to her were applied to everybody that ever ran for national office we would have 0 Senators, 0 Representatives and no president

and the most sickening thing of all are these attacks by her own party … I don’t care if she couldn’t tie her own shoes … you don’t tell other people about it, that makes you a rodent in my book

rant over

joey24007 on November 8, 2008 at 12:43 PM

joey24007 on November 8, 2008 at 12:29 PM

The point is that she knew people were talking about the rumour that she had thought there was a country called Africa, but in responding she spoke in away that identified both a continent and a country called Africa.

She should have used it as an opportunity to talk about the economic and geopolitical issues in Africa (e.g., oil from Nigeria). She can use these questions and the media focus to showcase her knowledge rather than respond to what she said during a particular debate prep session where anyone might mispeak.

dedalus on November 8, 2008 at 12:54 PM

driver on November 8, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Do you agree that she is already repairing it? I think the more they attack her, the more opportunity she has to show her mettle. I say within 6 months, while she is making great decisions on her own volition, and ChimpyMacFanniemae continues to play Charlie McCarthy to Emanuel’s Edgar Bergen, it will become painfully obvious that she is imminently more qualified for POTUS than ChimpyMacFanniemae is.

csdeven on November 8, 2008 at 12:55 PM

dedalus on November 8, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Yeah and then somebody spins that

“She didn’t know about Africa then and now that it is “out there” that she didn’t know on the campaign trail, she is trying to make up for it”

You don’t answer rumors about your intelligence by correcting the “so-called” mistake that you “made”

THAT is what gives the rumors cred.

joey24007 on November 8, 2008 at 12:59 PM

csdeven on November 8, 2008 at 12:55 PM

the more this plays out the more it looks like a bunch of sore losers, with no class, who are trying to push the blame one one person

only the people who really follow politics like we do even know that much about it … everybody else is on the subject of Obama

She doesn’t have to run for office ever again … but I will be damned if anybody who are spreading this nonsense ever works for a GOP campaign again for 2 reasons:

1. they are losers
2. they have absolutely no class … why would you want those people around you?

joey24007 on November 8, 2008 at 1:01 PM

driver on November 8, 2008 at 11:24 AM

csdeven on November 8, 2008 at 12:55 PM

I hope your right and I have no problem admitting that I was wrong

driver on November 8, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Sarah’s options are:
1) finish this term as governor and run again for a second term in 2010 to give her 8 years as governor and then run for Pres in 2016. My choice!
2) take Steven’s seat as senator when he is thrown out and afterward run for president in 2016.
3) finish her term for governor and run against the current senator in 2010 for the other seat. I think this one is Republican.
4) running for president in 2012 may sound nice, but she needs to build up her skills and the Republican Party will need to make some inroads nationally to get her in the White House.

ny59giants on November 8, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Sarah’s options are:

ny59giants on November 8, 2008 at 1:15 PM

I like # 1 but like would to see her as VP in 2012 then there would no stoping her in 2016

driver on November 8, 2008 at 1:21 PM