Alert the Media, and other notes: Hugh Hewitt

posted at 6:25 pm on November 7, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

I’ll be on tonight’s Hugh Hewitt Show, guest-hosted tonight by Carol Platt Liebau, at 6:20 CT tonight.  We’ll be talking about the Minnesota recount, as will John Hinderaker of Power Line.  Don’t miss it!

Tomorrow, I’ll also spend an hour with David Strom and Margaret Martin of the Minnesota Free Market Institute on AM 1280 The Patriot, starting at 10 am CT.  We’ll discuss the elections, the road ahead for conservatives, and the necessary rebuilding of the Republican Party.

As long as we’re on that subject, be sure to check out Patrick Ruffini’s new project, Rebuild the Party.  They’ve already got some great ideas on how the GOP needs to change in order to compete in 2010 and beyond.  Be sure to sign the petition and start talking about it.

Comments

That is a freaky cap.

ronsfi on November 7, 2008 at 6:32 PM

I love Carol Platt Leibau. She could run for office and would be really really good like Palin.

mariloubaker on November 7, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Er.. Ed. You misspelled Carol’s last name.

My collie says:

You’re not going to tell him that I’m the one that caught the error, are you?

CyberCipher on November 7, 2008 at 6:34 PM

I listened to her show.

It was great.

It was better than Cats.

Skywise on November 7, 2008 at 6:37 PM

I think I’ve done been hypMOtized by the pic of her.

Cuffy Meigs on November 7, 2008 at 6:39 PM

Leibau has great written pieces and she’s a fine guest when she’s interviewed, but her radio hosting skills are several fries short of a happy meal. It’s just not her forte, and I wish Duane would take the helm in HH’s absence. I wonder what the over/under is on minutes before she tells us she made Harvard Law Review.

Mark30339 on November 7, 2008 at 6:42 PM

Hi Ed. Good luck on the Hugh Hewitt show. I would like to hear someone talk about how the homosexual activists have become highly intolerant, vicious, misleading and deceptive toward the Mormon Church and proponents of Prop.8.

In typical liberal fashion, they are demonizing, discrediting and assassinating the character of their political opponents instead of rationally debating the issue.

For a full account of my opinion read: “Proposition 8 Passes, Homosexuals Raise a Ruckus

garyganu on November 7, 2008 at 6:45 PM

You got the Joker on your show, I thought he killed himself? Why so serious?

muyoso on November 7, 2008 at 6:49 PM

I heard her on the radio in the middle of the night years ago and got out of bed to look her up on the internet. She didn’t have to tell me she was on Harvard Law Review. I could tell by her clear concise manner of speaking and articulate arguments.

Blake on November 7, 2008 at 7:00 PM

She’s got eyes like a Weimaraner.

dinobalz on November 7, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Can you please turn those headlights down. Thanks.

lexhamfox on November 7, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Hugh Hewitt’s a lot better looking than I remembered.

Rhinoboy on November 7, 2008 at 7:10 PM

If true, so what gives with his back stabbing now?

Allah, Captain, Michelle, anyone?

Mr. Joe on November 7, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Photoshop gone wild.

Fletch54 on November 7, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Regarding the rebuilding of the Republican party. I vote we ABANDON the Republican party and start a Conservative Party. In 2001, the Republican party had control of both houses of Congress and the presidency for the first time in my long lifetime! And they completely blew it! So many times since that time we have been furious with Republicans for leaving us high and dry. Now they think if they get the Internet working they can get all kinds of new voters. I say let’s let the McCain side of the party go. Let’s get conservative ideas going again and clean house of the RINO’s who got us into this mess!

Christian Conservative on November 7, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Mr. Joe on November 7, 2008 at 7:21 PM
They were raising hell here in town also. I was tempted to run some over. All they are doing is ticking people off. One woman screamed “I voted no for you”. If they turn this law again. I will vote Yes. I about died laughing. Another event in San Fran. A few months. They had some freak gay show. It was out in the Public. You wouldn’t believe what they were doing! I mean you wouldn’t believe it. My friend showed me a site that had pictures on there. When I saw the first one. I felt sick to my stomach and closed the browser. They did these horrible sexual acts in front of women and children. Sick. Is another reason I want to move. To close to Frisco. And this town is small and usually quiet. Now they are invading our space.

Now that I am done ranting. The woman on the picture, is just beautiful! Her eyes are stunning!!

sheebe on November 7, 2008 at 10:04 PM

She looks like John Travolta in Welcome Back Cotter.

Vinny!

Let’s roll.

ex-Democrat on November 7, 2008 at 10:25 PM

“We pledge our loyalty to the Founders from now until death.”

Asher on November 7, 2008 at 10:41 PM

She looks like Mary Katherine Ham’s older sister.

PattyJ on November 8, 2008 at 12:17 AM

I checked out the “Rebuild the Party” page. It had some good ideas in regards to organizing and mobilizing the party, especially in using the internet better.

However, when you click on the “Submit Your Idea” link, it takes you to a page that has been overrun by Ron Paul supporters and plenty of suggestions of who we should kick out of the party. Plus suggestions like:
* Legalize Drugs
* Stop allowing religious bigotry in the party
* Abolish the Federal Reserve
* Embrace Science – Evolution, Stem Cell Research, etc.
* Detatch party from Drudge, Hannity, Rush, etc.
* Embrace Net Neutrality

And on it goes. Very little in the way of helping create a clear set of principles that the Republican party can unite behind. Go looking for a definition of what it means to be a Republican or a conservative, and you will get a whole range of definitions and explanations.

It seems to me that the party needs to come up with a clear statement of a set of core principles – limited to about 5 general principles – that best explain what it means to be a conservative Republican. Obviously, there is the GOP platform (http://www.gop.com/2008Platform/), but I’m talking about something more concise that can be driven home and repeated by every Republican until everyone in America knows them by heart, whether or not they agree with them.

Then, a list of 5-10 top priorities for action should be maintained front and center at all times, and all party members should be aware of them and pushing them everywhere possible: letters to the editor, radio show calls, calling Congressmen, telling neighbors, holding local meetings, etc. Finally, 1 or 2 primary immediate goals, as circumstances dictate, should be pushed through all outlets. Loose talking points with fact sheets, etc., should be pushed out to millions of party members weekly. I know not everyone agrees with everything, but we must stand for something and educate and persuade on as many issues as possible.

I’ve been reading and listening to Ronald Reagan from the 70′s, and that is what he did so well.

willamettevalley on November 8, 2008 at 2:38 AM

Concise core principles!

The GOP was established to accomplish two goals
(anti-slavery, anti-polygamy) dealt with accordingly. The GOP never officially endorsed womens rights, failing to support suffrage as a body, though since women accomplished their civil rights the GOP has appreciated and utilized without bias contributions by women.

Running Gov. Sarah Palin on the GOP POTUS ticket will prove whether the GOP truly protects its own good women participants, or leaves them to the jackals from within the GOP and the buzzards from the opposition party to remove any trace of their existence.

At this point in history, Conservative elements have already been tossed from the platform (Fred Thompson’s First Principles Platform was hacked by the RNC party elite who profess progressive socialism via McCain). Hence the lackluster GOP performance, running as old democrats.

Amendment election ballot counts prove the overwhelming majority of the GOP and our nation realize and desire more conservatism in daily life rather than more neo-liberalism.

Stick to the Constitution. Keep it clear and concise on its own merits. Shed the snake skin of the corrupt old party hacks. The GOP has a new generation that Gov. Palin helped to define a distinction for us to see ourselves more clearly.

Palin has returned to Alaska to complete her term as the most popular governor in America of the largest state in America with perhaps more natural resources than any other state in America particularly in terms of energy.

Let’s back Palin’s efforts to provide energy to America for NATIONAL SECURITY, ECONOMIC SECURITY AND JOBS; DRILL, BABY, DRILL!

As Americans, let’s exercise protection for human rights of the innocent babies and children, from conception through graduation. Our children deserve the best education without the abuse of radical authoritarians who overwhelmingly run public education. VOUCHERS FOR KNOWLEDGE BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL.

Smaller government requires LESS LEGISLATION AND SPENDS LESS TAXES. Streamline efficiency within the government. Fred Thompson set up means to enable/coerce government employees to actually accomplish their job requirements or fall back in pay/status. Rescind wasteful and corrupt government programs. Eliminate ACORN; legislation already provides for needy Americans and does not need its own fascist arm to commit fraud in order to provide for the needy.

maverick muse on November 8, 2008 at 8:34 AM

What’s with that picture? It’s freaky deeky.

scalleywag on November 8, 2008 at 9:20 AM

Good God – she looks like a seriously messed up Cylon.

Bad Photoshopping

Ares on November 8, 2008 at 9:24 AM

willamettevalley on November 8, 2008 at 2:38 AM

you are the part of this party and this movement which is broken.

in other words, militant anti-intellectualism.

militant anti-intellectualism with… seminar calling?

suggestions like:
* Legalize Drugs
* Stop allowing religious bigotry in the party
* Abolish the Federal Reserve
* Embrace Science – Evolution, Stem Cell Research, etc.
* Detatch party from Drudge, Hannity, Rush, etc.
* Embrace Net Neutrality

each one of these can be supported with conservative reasoning, but you’re right. none of them are compatable with hannityist anti-intellectualism. maybe you should just not worry about it, and instead get to work on refining the same bumpersticker tropes which have led the gop to defeat and conservatism to disfavor catostrophicly for the last two elections in a row.

eh on November 8, 2008 at 9:26 AM

Looooove those eyes. Whew! Yummy.

fossten on November 8, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Carol Platt Leibau looks like she could be MKH’s older sister.

CertainVictory on November 8, 2008 at 1:30 PM

I guess that site was intended for serious ideas. But good intentions don’t always work out.

Fighting Voter Fraud BIG TIME and giving young people opportunities to get involved with our party should be high priorities.

Done That on November 8, 2008 at 5:20 PM