Newsweek editor: Obama’s cult of personality is “slightly creepy,” isn’t it?

posted at 2:14 pm on November 6, 2008 by Allahpundit

Creepy in an admirable way, though, as evidence of preternatural self-awareness. All that comes from The One is, and can only be, good.

With this, Evan Thomas proves that he’s good for one killer soundbite every election cycle. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

and it starts……

dangitt on November 6, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Bob’s-yer-uncle

AubieJon on November 6, 2008 at 2:18 PM

How odd that they think now they’re safer in saying this stuff. Does Evan Thomas have any tax liens?

Jim Treacher on November 6, 2008 at 2:18 PM

JEE YA THINK????????????

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on November 6, 2008 at 2:18 PM

I am shocked it took so long! My wife realized it after the creepy “hopey hopey change change” song by the kids.

Sigtau22 on November 6, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Hey – I’ve got a great idea, let’s find out who this Barack Obama person is. And do stories about how much we don’t know about him so far, and how he and his supporters are creepy. Sounds like a great idea. Too bad they never ran this before the election.

wise_man on November 6, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Awesome!!! Great job on this post Allah!

aquaviva on November 6, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Evan Thomas, what a nimble little mind you have. You think that up by yourself?
Where the hell were you, say, 10 months ago?!

Just. Shut. The. F**K up!

J.J. Sefton on November 6, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Still waiting for my mortgage to be paid and for my gas tank to be filled.

Scorched_Earth on November 6, 2008 at 2:22 PM

There will be plenty to ponder once Obama takes office, and I don’t mean the usual suspects. Those who voted for him and the drive-by’s who were in the tank for him will be the ones who will raise the hypocritical alarm.

lonestr on November 6, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Could’ve used this info a couple of days ago Evan. Schmuck.

Iblis on November 6, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Looks like a little CYA going on here. This is the Lame Stream Media pretending to be tough on a liberal. Be tough only when it’s too late to do any damage.

dirtseller on November 6, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Obomunsim doesn’t fail, it just runs out of other people’s money to give away.

tarpon on November 6, 2008 at 2:23 PM

I realized the utter creepiness of this with the Yes We Can video of vapid movie stars lip-sinking the Messiah’s words like they had joined a cult and been brainwashed… But it’s nice to know the MSM has finally discovered this; it only took them nine more months than the rest of us.

Illinidiva on November 6, 2008 at 2:23 PM

I always thought that, when Marxists have taken over countries in the past, it was the media and intellectuals who ended up as fertilizer for the rice paddies. Is he volunteering?

AubieJon on November 6, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Hopeless, pathetic tools.

greggriffith on November 6, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Hello there, Newsweek. Welcome to the party. Better late than never.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 6, 2008 at 2:25 PM

wise_man on November 6, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Yeah… Maybe we should. After all, he might win the election and people should have complete information to make their decision… Oh wait!! That’s right. It’s a bit too late for that now.

Illinidiva on November 6, 2008 at 2:26 PM

No more interviews for Newsweek during an Obama administration.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 6, 2008 at 2:26 PM

It could be a sign that The One won’t be immune from media criticism during his term in office.

backwoods conservative on November 6, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Isn’t Evan Thomas confirming that the President-elect is an empty suit? That’s what I got from the interview.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 6, 2008 at 2:27 PM

First- get Obama elected. Second- distance ourselves from Obama once he inevitably starts doing stupid things.

Chuck Schick on November 6, 2008 at 2:28 PM

I am so glad that they waited to ask questions now rather than before the election.

carbon_footprint on November 6, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Yes We Can. Hope and Change. Its easy to see why people would be mesmerized, and not try to find out who Obama really is. These idiots are probably the same people that get distracted by bubble wrap, and shiny objects.

MDWNJ on November 6, 2008 at 2:28 PM

There is currently a tropical storm in the Caribbean. I blame the failed policies of the “I will heal the world” once I’m elected Obama.

goldeagle11 on November 6, 2008 at 2:29 PM

The media has NO place to complain in the coming four years. NONE. They wanted this empty suit, inexperienced bafoon. They got him.

WE tried to warn them. WE kept showing them evidence and they said no.

In the words of Kos, “Screw them.”

Enoxo on November 6, 2008 at 2:29 PM

The Sheep Look Up

mojo on November 6, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Scorched_Earth on November 6, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Still waiting for my mortgage to be paid and for my gas tank to be filled.

You have about 11 weeks to wait. Unicorns don’t hatch overnight, y’know.

fluffy on November 6, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Just announced!! Newsweek reporters thrown off the Obi’s plane. Oh that’s right its too late for that.

Just announced!! Newsweek reporters white house press passes taken away………

Sigtau22 on November 6, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Scorched_Earth on November 6, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Do you have that address?? I want to make sure my mortgage company knows where to send the billings starting in February 2009.

PappaMac on November 6, 2008 at 2:30 PM

PappaMac on November 6, 2008 at 2:30 PM

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

Enoxo on November 6, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Timely.

Let’s hope they can tear him down quicker than they built him up.

Oh wait! Too late.

ej_pez on November 6, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Wouldn’t it be weird if the MSM actually got this guy elected because they wanted someone they could thoroughly pillory over the next 4 years? Nahh. They’d never do anything like that. They’d rather just foist this guy off on an entire nation with the promise that he can “heal the world”. What was I thinking?

AubieJon on November 6, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Still waiting for my mortgage to be paid and for my gas tank to be filled.
Scorched_Earth on November 6, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Well, you know that is one of the awesome things that will happen under a Obama presidency. When can we expect that? Q1 of 09?

wise_man on November 6, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Strange timing, eh? Where was this in Newsweek? Editorial? Had plenty of time to put him on the cover repeatedly, no?

marklmail on November 6, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Now that the “useful Idiots” have put their Messiah in office, they will be transformed into “Lemmings” where Obama will gleefully use them as fodder by the bushel.

lonestr on November 6, 2008 at 2:33 PM

What is the best way to bankrupt Newsweek and its ilk?

Tazz 55 on November 6, 2008 at 2:34 PM

The MSM is garbage!

Now we have to suffer through 4 years of a marxist in the White House. Our forefathers and Edward Murrow are spinning in their graves!

jencab on November 6, 2008 at 2:34 PM

bubble wrap, and shiny objects.

MDWNJ on November 6, 2008 at 2:28 PM

-POP POP POP- Err… did you say something?

:P

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on November 6, 2008 at 2:35 PM

This is really becoming a not-so-great week.
What’s even worse, there appears no relief in sight for years.

carbon_footprint on November 6, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Newsweek’s circulation numbers must look so bad, they’re going the opposite direction now. Well, after this week’s HUGE OBAMA FACE cover. Chris Matthews held it up on Morning Joe and it was weird to see wet spots on Obama’s picture and ink on Chris’ lips and tongue when he talked.

Marcus on November 6, 2008 at 2:35 PM

The useful useless idiots waking up already?

You know they have to fear what’s coming now if they’re telling to stop the act already. Bad news is it’s not an act and they’ve just been used. This guy better watch it.

econavenger on November 6, 2008 at 2:35 PM

This is just one of the obvious ‘look we really ARE objective’ stories we will be hearing for awhile. I don’t care what anyone in the MSM says. The MSM has ZERO credibility with me and whenever I hear a reporter or an editor say ANYTHING I will ask myself ‘how does that help liberalism?’ because I know from this election that is all the people in the American MSM care about.

tyrfing on November 6, 2008 at 2:35 PM

What is the best way to bankrupt Newsweek and its ilk?

Tazz 55 on November 6, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Get as many people as possible to get their news somewhere they don’t have to pay for it… online usually works.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on November 6, 2008 at 2:36 PM

I hope people haven’t given up on the LA times tape

tomas on November 6, 2008 at 2:36 PM

The MSM is garbage!

jencab on November 6, 2008 at 2:34 PM

No, Edward Murrow Keith Olbermann is just spinning in his chair gleefully.

Enoxo on November 6, 2008 at 2:36 PM

I wish someone would put together a montage of the Before and After comments from everyone in the media. It will be bittersweet entertainment next year and another reason to chant “i told you so”.

Highlights will be the aboutface of Andrea Mitchell, Mike Barnacle, and David Gergen.

sherry on November 6, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Now, all those who thought they were relieving their illusory guilt by backing and voting for BHO have REAL guilt to contend with. And no amount of atonement will take care of it.

progressoverpeace on November 6, 2008 at 2:36 PM

“Hey, maybe we should have checked out this Obama guy before we elected him. Hmmm…”

Tacitus_SGL on November 6, 2008 at 2:36 PM

You have about 11 weeks to wait. Unicorns don’t hatch overnight, y’know.
fluffy on November 6, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Gosh I’m so tired of divisive exchange
And I got one or two things to say about change,
Like the change we must change to the change we hold dear.
I really like change: Have I made myself clear?”

wise_man on November 6, 2008 at 2:36 PM

wise_man on November 6, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Yeah ,along with, never a rainy day again, all the rainbows you want, and a smile on everyones face.

MDWNJ on November 6, 2008 at 2:36 PM

The MSM own this guy. When I say “own” him, I don’t mean they control him. But they “own” whatever nightmare he becomes. With every creepy new detail that surfaces… and brother are there going to be plenty… we are reminded of who brought us this guy.

Sugar Land on November 6, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Oh you think so a-holes! Why didn’t you talk about that for the past several months!

Oink on November 6, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Creepy is not the least of it…

Kevin in Washington State on November 6, 2008 at 2:39 PM

He could play with your car keys alllll day.

oldleprechaun on November 6, 2008 at 2:39 PM

WOW! Now they tell us….. I new when Oprah announced him. That is was a cult. Is easy to prey on the minds that usually watch Oprah. He is creepy but I knew that from the start. I never even thought of voting for that One.

sheebe on November 6, 2008 at 2:40 PM

I can’t believe that “journalists” like Thomas (who’s been around for 20 years) aren’t embarrassed to admit this kind of thing. If your whole job consists of reporting on things objectively and you’re out there admitting you didn’t do it on such an important matter, aren;t you simultaneously admitting that you are a failure? I think so! Part of me thinks these kind of admissions are part of the confession process for guilty-minded lib journalists who know they’ve sinned against their craft and must now admit it to cleanse their conscience.

sladenyv on November 6, 2008 at 2:40 PM

He could play with your car keys alllll day.

oldleprechaun on November 6, 2008 at 2:39 PM

I wouldnt let these nutjobs near the keys to my lawn mower, nevermind my car.

MDWNJ on November 6, 2008 at 2:41 PM

sheebe on November 6, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Whenever Oprah endorses a product, millions of stupid people go out and buy the object of their Oprah-gasm.

Barry was the new, shiny (clean and articulate as Biden says) product. That’s all he is. A product.

Enoxo on November 6, 2008 at 2:42 PM

The Enchanted are waking up from their Messiah Induced Coma…who is this guy Barack Obama…Too funny. I could tell you Newsweek but if I do, he won’t let you back on his airplane, Obama Airforce “The One” LOL!

I was looking forward to Palin in the White House but you know what, watching the Newsweek Weasels squirm, that works too:)

Dr Evil on November 6, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Hey, isn’t Newsweek the rag that had an article about BHO’s overly creepy Germany tour that was titled:

Obama’s Reagan Moment

He passed a test in Berlin, but harder ones await.

progressoverpeace on November 6, 2008 at 2:42 PM

I realized the utter creepiness of this with the Yes We Can video…

I like to imagine the little singing blueshirts from Venice Beach and their families hooking up with the New Black Panther Party poll security guards at the inaugural. I imagine they’ll hug and maybe shed a little tear of joy.

saint kansas on November 6, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Newsweek hired the Kossack, to opine, they know something about Creepy…I’m just sayin…

Dr Evil on November 6, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Now this is creepy:

A former top deputy to Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan [Dr Vibert White Jr] tells Newsmax that Barack Obama’s ties to the black nationalist movement in Chicago run deep, and that for many years the two men have had ‘an open line between them’ to discuss policy and strategy, either directly or through intermediaries.

… In addition to the ideological affinity Obama expressed for the black nationalist movement, White believes that Obama owes much of his success as a public orator to speaking techniques that Farrakhan developed over the years, and exploited for years to great success…As a former minister of the Nation of Islam, I know how they speak,’ White told Newsmax. ‘I don’t know who was training Obama. But that style is not a ministerial style like in the Christian church. It’s a Nation of Islam style.’

Kevin in Washington State on November 6, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Sugar Land on November 6, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Exactly. Hence, the better a Pres. Obama looks, the better the media looks. I wonder how that will effect their reporting on the coming Obama Administration.

tyrfing on November 6, 2008 at 2:43 PM

They just noticed? Well duh.

UnEasyRider on November 6, 2008 at 2:43 PM

I hope people haven’t given up on the LA times tape

tomas on November 6, 2008 at 2:36 PM

That would be a great place for Newsweek to start on exploring who Obama is.

Mulligan on November 6, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Oprah just happened to go to the same pro-black church (Wright’s) – and wanted Obama to win because of race. She’s an unknowing dupe when it comes to the Alinsky type of conspiracy going on. Unfortunate.

marklmail on November 6, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

Next Newsweek Revelation:
Maybe Biden ain’t the foreign policy expert we all think he is.

mjk on November 6, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Kevin in Washington State – it was Farrakhan’s son that brought Obama to Chicago.

MayBee on November 6, 2008 at 2:46 PM

So now they are noticing that they tossed aside any pretense of journalistic integrity to put a complete cipher in the White House? This just continues to get more ridiculous.

califcon on November 6, 2008 at 2:46 PM

To some extent, any Administration must always be criticized by the media because it’s actually trying to get things done. (As opposed to sitting around critiquing, like the media.) But, I wouldn’t expect any serious criticism of B.O. Remember the Clinton years: the media criticized him some, but not too much, not when it counted, and definitely not if conservatives were making the same criticisms.

The is just the drive-by media relaxing and chit-chatting now that they’re out of campaign mode. Really, this may be the best evidence that the MSM has certainly been in “chope” campaign mode for many months now. (… For those that need evidence of the obvious.)

kace on November 6, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Evan Thomas is a Racist! He’s out! Now he can sit back like the rest of us an collect the Gov’t check :)

beththebaker on November 6, 2008 at 2:47 PM

MDWNJ on November 6, 2008 at 2:36 PM

I can’t wait!

America will be a wonderful country at last! It will be a happy place, with flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where children dance and laugh and play with gumdrop smiles.

wise_man on November 6, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Looks like with their objective achieved they’re going to start worrying about those dwindling subscription numbers now.

Let me make a suggestion to you – If you sell a written product, don’t alienate a large chunk of the educated, literary people in the country in your attempt to elect a candidate that is mainly supported by people that watch Oprah and read horoscope.com.

I’m not asking for news sources to be biased towards my side. I don’t want people on my side getting escorted into office any more than I want people on their side to be. I’d like the press to do it’s job and vet all the candidates vigorously BEFORE they are elected (I thought that last part went without saying, but, apparently not).

JadeNYU on November 6, 2008 at 2:48 PM

I hope people haven’t given up on the LA times tape

tomas on November 6, 2008 at 2:36 PM

That would be a great place for Newsweek to start on exploring who Obama is.

Mulligan on November 6, 2008 at 2:44 PM

If you think the Jewsish community will be outraged if this is ever reased, think again. My cousin, (jewish ,too) didn’t beelieve Obama was close to Hagel even after I e-mailed pictures and articles of them together on tour. Can you say DENIAL?

beththebaker on November 6, 2008 at 2:50 PM

I can’t wait!

wise_man on November 6, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Thats the spirit, anything is possible in Obama land.

MDWNJ on November 6, 2008 at 2:51 PM

“Slightly creepy”..Awwww, ya think? *Insert eye roll*

The Liberals hope that the ~Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain~ and ~Resistance is futile~ concepts will last for the next four or (heaven forbid) eight years. Could there be a crack or two in their master plan starting to show? (of course a day late and a few million dollars short as usual)

Bless their hearts, the MSM can’t help it if they’re a tad slow!

I wonder which type of sheep we could group most of the MSM into according to the definitions here.. http://www.strategyplanet.com/sheep/gameinfo/breeds.shtml

I’m voting for the Factoral Sheep.

SassyDarlin on November 6, 2008 at 2:52 PM

It’s scary brainwashing sh*t, man. I haven’t seen anything like it since…

marklmail on November 6, 2008 at 2:52 PM

Douches. All of them.

Dubn8tr on November 6, 2008 at 2:53 PM

I can’t watch the news or read a paper anymore. If it wasn’t for the internet, I’d know nothing about anything that’s happened in the last two days. I’m thinking it’ll be safe to turn on the tv again sometime in February. By that time Obama will have no excuse for effing things up with Russia and I want to see how the MSM try to explain that away.

tll on November 6, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Somewhere I heard this creation now headed to the WH referred to as Frankenobama. He was raised by a village of radicals, birthed politically by Bill Ayers writing a book in his name, then the LA Times and other media campaigners actively assisted him in multiple campaign runs. Combine it with cultlike Axelrod campaign propaganda and hypnotically manipulative speeches, and we now have our dear leader.

Just wait until the real financial collapse comes and a major war breaks out. If he wants he can simply use all the executive authority now on the books to take complete control of the nation with just a handful of true believer enforcers. That’s why character matters in a free nation.

You never want to make the mistake we just made because it’s potentially irreversible and fatal.

econavenger on November 6, 2008 at 2:54 PM

One sheep to all the other sheep:
“You know that sheep over there looks kind creepy.”

The other sheep:
“BByeah, he does look creepy doesn’t he.”

First sheep:
“What do we really know about that sheep anyway?”

Wolf in sheep’s clothing:
::Lick Lips::

Mr_Magoo on November 6, 2008 at 2:54 PM

I question the timing.

soundingboard on November 6, 2008 at 2:54 PM

dirtseller on November 6, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Of course. Stuff like this started coming out the minute they got him elected. I’ve seen several hokum pieces on how Obama is going to have to fight the press or fight with Reid & Pelosi. They think we believe that trash.

Connie on November 6, 2008 at 2:55 PM

econavenger on November 6, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Amen to that..

beththebaker on November 6, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Evan, you and the rest of the MSM built this creature.

Christien on November 6, 2008 at 2:56 PM

MSM gave us, no forced Obama on us, and now they are concerned?! The MSM owes America a huge Apology for looking the other way on Obama’s past. I hope their actions backfire on them.

Irenaeus on November 6, 2008 at 2:56 PM

MSM – Multiple Sheep Media

Mr_Magoo on November 6, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Really? Creepy? Maybe do some journalism and find out who this guy is?

Sorry MSM, you have already lost me and it is for good. I’ll watch the 10 pm local channel for the weather (around 10:11 pm), but that’s it. NYTimes is finished as well.

rbj on November 6, 2008 at 2:57 PM

I read this as the MSM trying to convince the truly ignorant that the MSM IS an objective entity. The truly ignorant would constitute the vast majority of Obama voters, and I give the MSM a 70% chance of succeeding.

Patrick S on November 6, 2008 at 2:58 PM

NYTimes is finished as well.

rbj on November 6, 2008 at 2:57 PM

What took you so long?

beththebaker on November 6, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Kevin in Washington State on November 6, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Well…isn’t that special.

PappaMac on November 6, 2008 at 2:59 PM

#1 Networks which comment/report on political campaigns should have to divide media time 50/50% so they can’t be bought off. 700 million COMBINED with Liberal ideology is a recipe for disaster.

marklmail on November 6, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Dear Hot Air friends

I’m a 54 year old truck driver that recently lost my job. I refuse to go on the government dole I voted for McCain / Palen and we lost, I have not lost my spirit and will work hard for helping to find a TRUE Conservative for the 2010 & 2012 elections I must find a new job so I can provide for my family , I depend on Hot Air for inspiration and it saddens me that the person that gos by the screen name ManlyRash has decided to stop posting on HA. He must feel that he has been humiliated for his being so sure of himself and making all that read his postings feel GREAT about the election and the possibility of a strong America
I for one feel that ManlyRash should come back and deliver his uncanny wit and ability to rally the people that are like minded
I have not got the education to match many of you on hot Air, but my heart is in the RIGHT place
May GOD BLESS thus country and all that post on this site. This may be the last place that free Americans can speck there minds and not be dragged of to some Crappy reeducation camp. I know that my cheesy little one liners are a sign of my lack of education but the folks at HA have been very kind not call me on that for I have seen lots of lame comments by others where you blasted them out of water
I guess thats what you call trolls

driver on November 6, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Obama is the least accomplished, least experienced, and the most liberal President than any in history. You can be sure that it will show when he takes office and the MSM who carried him will have to live with it. It will be priceless to see how they hide their horror for what they did.

lonestr on November 6, 2008 at 3:05 PM

driver on November 6, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Yes, we want ManlyRash back… anyone knows him, please let him know we are missing him….
Driver you are a smart man… don’t be afraid to speak your mind!!!

beththebaker on November 6, 2008 at 3:06 PM

Who knew that ManlyRash’s mom drove a truck?

marklmail on November 6, 2008 at 3:06 PM