Change you can give your personal information for

posted at 6:50 pm on November 6, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

I decided to take a look at the website for the incoming Barack Obama administration, The Office of the President-Elect — and it looks an awful lot like a campaign site.  It announces that “change has come to America”, even though Obama is still more than two months from taking the oath of office.  It’s replete with campaign slogans on Iraq, the economy, and other issues.  None of this is terribly new, and it all looks like it got transplanted from BarackObama.com.

However, this site has a .gov top-level domain (change.gov).  That is reserved for “qualified government organizations and programs”.  The incoming administration technically has no status as a government organization or program until January 20, 2009.  The “Office of the President-Elect” doesn’t exist within the government.  Furthermore, the use seen at the site is clearly promotional for Barack Obama and Joe Biden, and should have been kept at their own campaign domain rather than set up as an official US government site.

And why are they using a .gov site to compile mailing lists?

Why does the government need to collect e-mails and addresses from citizens in order to share their stories with the President-Elect?  What purpose does the OPE have for this information?  Are they hoping to build a list to sell to political allies, or perhaps just to telemarketers to help pay off the deficit?  Since this is hosted as a government site, I think they need to explain what official use they will make of this information.

If we’re going to have a perpetual campaign in the next administration, they could at least have the decency to use their private-sector domain name.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

saint kansas on November 7, 2008 at 11:38 AM

No doubt the heirs to Chairman Mao’s legacy are cheering the ascendancy of The One. Perhaps they will contribute their stories about how inspired they are that Mao’s righteous wind has crossed the continents.

Buy Danish on November 7, 2008 at 11:44 AM

The real change is here.

corona on November 7, 2008 at 11:44 AM

“It can’t happen without you, without a new spirit of service, a new spirit of sacrifice.

Did anyone else notice the crowd at the Obamapalooza go rather quiet when they heard that one.

There is no reason for the existence of a Civilian National Security Force except to institute control or to indoctrinate.

sharrukin on November 7, 2008 at 5:31 AM

We saw this same sort of thing taking place in the ‘Orange Revolutions’ in Georgia (George Soros backed)and the Ukraine (Soros-financed),and George Soros was a backer of Obama, so it isn’t too surprising the same sort of tactics might be used in the United States.

sharrukin on November 7, 2008 at 1:42 AM

BINGO! We have a winner!

Nahanni on November 7, 2008 at 1:15 PM

I visited Michelle Malkin’s site when I came across the Veterans Corp. What are they going to do expect all veterans who get compensation to go out and volunteer to get their monthly check? I thought they would just start taxing our checks…like some states do. My state doesn’t. This is all such BS. They will never get my name until they start going through all the government rolls like the VA and Social Security.

I get it now all ages even 92 year old ladies and men will be required to do service time to get their checks.

I wonder how many hours they will require me to do since I am a 100% disabled veteran and get two checks a month. By the way I deserve them. I gave 13 years voluntarily to my country since I am a woman…and can no longer work….not something I like. I miss working. It makes it difficult to to find structure in your life. You have to retrain yourself.

navyvet48 on November 7, 2008 at 1:57 PM

This new administration doesn’t even know what the term “decency” means.

Torch on November 7, 2008 at 2:01 PM

This is why I am scared.

It’s kinda freakin me out.

This is just God-awful scary.

Some of you maybe feeling like “this couldn’t happen here”, “they do this stuff in other countries”, … etc., but please, please wake up.

This ain’t the time to be getting scared and freakin out … it is time to cowboy up, garner information, collect thoughts, evaluate, and plan.

If you can, think seriously about getting your kids out of public school and home schooling them. Don’t continue letting the state filling their little heads with lies and turning them into compliant little zombies. Go raise free thinkers like the founders of this country.

Get ready for manufactured and real crisis. Those that are still asleep may think this extreme, but you need to think of a continuity and call plan. Should something happen, what are you going to do, where are you going to go, who are you going to call …?

In the great words of Edna Mole, “Dahling … life favors the prepared.”

I would also recommend to those that have been putting it off, purchase a firearm and learn how to use it. I would rather never need the use of one, than be caught without one in a situation where it was needed. The founders did not implement the 2nd Amendment so we could have an annual deer season.

Also, you might want to start thinking about what you are doing/saying around the water cooler at work.

This website of Obamas basically admits he lied all over the place.

Shocker … just wait.

God’s will. This is what I have to keep reminding myself over and over. He (not Obama) is in control.

carbon_footprint on November 6, 2008 at 9:41 PM

God is soveriegn. We can rest in that.

LEBA on November 6, 2008 at 9:43 PM

Amen.

Judgement was passed on this country long ago. God’s forebearance and mercy have been abused, and his His Law and judgement have been mocked and ridiculed. Get ready and buckle up for some level of wheat and chaff separation.

AZ_Redneck on November 7, 2008 at 2:09 PM

We need many many many conservatives to sign up to work in the Obama administration. This is the time to do it. Fill out the form on change.gov and tell them you want to work there. Give Obama a chance to be bipartisan. If we get enough people working in the administration perhaps we can mitigate the damage.

t.ferg on November 7, 2008 at 2:45 PM

t.ferg on November 7, 2008 at 2:45 PM

I’m pretty sure if you click on that link the job you will get will be serving the gruel at the reeducation camp!

driver on November 7, 2008 at 4:38 PM

The same dip-wads that sign on to this, are the same ones that were outragged at some one looking at their library card. I guess it’s okay if it’s for hopeychangey.

oakpack on November 7, 2008 at 5:26 PM

apacalyps on November 7, 2008 at 1:50 AM

Wow. That’s chilling, apacalyps. You mean, the Bible says that there will be a time that the antichrist (a man [ie, political leader] possessed by Satan) is going to require everybody take the Devil’s mark?

apacalyps on November 7, 2008 at 6:02 PM

The word for this that comes to mind is “crass”.

ddrintn on November 7, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Is it really this bad?
I received this picture by email today. What do you think?

WildBillK on November 7, 2008 at 7:26 PM

And so the government-backed propaganda begins. Don’t be surprised if this stays up as a pro-Obama site throughout his term.

Is it legal for Obama to collect email addresses in an official capacity and then use them for re-election efforts?

amerpundit on November 6, 2008 at 6:54 PM

WHO CARES IF IT’S LEGAL! OBAMA’S JUST TRYING TO RAISE MONEY FOR HIS NEXT CAMPAIGN! WHY ARE YOU RACISTS TRYING TO HOLD DOWN THE MAN????

Sign of the Dollar on November 7, 2008 at 7:56 PM

I just wish people had consulted Obama’s web site before they voted for him.

Now all kinds of people I’m running into say, no, he didn’t say he wanted [this or that], did he?

It’s been right under their noses all along, and many of the things in his speeches these people didn’t realize referred to actual, real (and awful) plans on his website.

Alana on November 8, 2008 at 1:26 AM

I just want to yell here…This website of Obamas basically admits he lied all over the place. Here’s a gem from him on foreign policy:

Diplomacy: Obama supports tough, direct presidential diplomacy with Iran without preconditions.

This is going to be a looooooooong 4 years, isn’t it?

JPG on November 7, 2008 at 4:54 AM”

I know. That just kills me. What, is everybody asleep or something?

Alana on November 8, 2008 at 1:49 AM

What, is everybody asleep or something?
Alana on November 8, 2008 at 1:49 AM

Asleep
or
Something

WildBillK on November 8, 2008 at 2:40 AM

Anyone else disturbed by the google analytical on that site?

Why have they hired a third party to collect data on visitors?

amazingmets on November 8, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Why are my tax dollars being wasted on this?

Sir Andrew on November 8, 2008 at 2:31 PM

He has NOT been sworn in, he has NO BUSINESS using government resources. BUSH IS AN R-TARD.

Sir Andrew on November 8, 2008 at 2:32 PM

You mean, the Bible says that there will be a time that the antichrist (a man [ie, a political leader] possessed by Satan) is going to require everybody take the Devil’s mark?

apacalyps on November 7, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Yes, apacalyps. The technology is already here. It starts with prisoners. Next will be the general population. The Bible tells us that in the last days one man will rule the world. He is called Antichrist, and he is the person who will cause everyone to take the mark in their right hand or forehead. But, don’t take the mark because “If any man worship the beast (Antichrist) and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God … and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone … And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.” Revelation 14:9-11

apacalyps on November 8, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Why are my tax dollars being wasted on this?

However, this site has a .gov top-level domain (change.gov). That is reserved for “qualified government organizations and programs”. The incoming administration technically has no status as a government organization or program until January 20, 2009. The “Office of the President-Elect” doesn’t exist within the government.

It’s called the Presidential Transition Act of 1963
From the OPM (Office of Personnel Management) site:
The Presidential Transition Act of 1963, as amended, establishes the transition team as a Federal entity to provide for the orderly transfer of power.

jim_collins on November 8, 2008 at 6:06 PM

I swear, it’s not going to take hearing the word change but a few more times before I take an icepick to my ear. It’s the new “c” word in our house.

sheesh on November 9, 2008 at 9:20 AM