Campbell Brown: Some of the Palin leakers’ smears are “patently false”

posted at 9:56 pm on November 6, 2008 by Allahpundit

Naming which smears are false and which aren’t would have been helpful, but we go to war with the media army we have.

Update: New light shed by ABC:

Stapleton says that during a briefing session someone asked Palin to explain the McCain-Palin stance on an issue and as she was responding “in the middle she said ‘country of Africa’ and somebody instantly wrote it down. And said, ‘Oh my God she thinks it’s a country.'”

But Stapleton insists, “she knows it’s a continent. It was just a human mistake, just like Obama saying 57 states. I don’t think anyone ever doubted that Obama knows there are 50 states.”

Comments

Calling McCain an “evil bastard” over this is deranged,

Look. When the second plane hit the World Trade Centre I pretty much knew what was going on.

When there are flood of similar stories in a wide spectrum of media outlets (Fox, NYT, Newsweek, ABC blog) all coming out in 24 hours and no statement or background counterspin from the McCain campaign (not a single one) it pretty much looks like an official campaign strategy to put all that shit out there on purpose, especially since someone leaked this scapegoat plan to The Politico 2 weeks ago. If it’s an official campaign plan then McCain had to sign off on it.

Given the hell that this woman and her family has been put through the last 9 weeks (the worst treatment I have ever seen of any politician) I made my assessment about what McCain is given the what is known and the silence.

CanadianGuy on November 7, 2008 at 12:42 AM

meltenn on November 6, 2008 at 11:49 PM

That article from ABC steps all over itself, offering contradictory stories. It just throws them out there. Funny how the defense of Palin is by people on the record, but the smears are anonymous. Scheunemann, who prepared her on foreign policy, doesn’t believe she really didn’t know these things. Obviously, she made mistakes of speaking, not intelligence.

At this point, anyone who uncritically believes that Palin is dumb based on these smears is saying more about themselves than Sarah Palin.

SAZMD on November 7, 2008 at 12:45 AM

Fair enough. Point taken.

Tuning Spork on November 6, 2008 at 10:59 PM
MadisonConservative initially responded to wise_man calling Promachus and others “idiots” back at 10:27 PM.

FloatingRock on November 6, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Sorry. I don’t usually carry on running conversations in these threads. If I’ve been too quick to forgive wise_man then it’s because I didn’t read all and everything that came before.

I’ll just go back back to lurking now. Carry on…

Tuning Spork on November 7, 2008 at 12:46 AM

Scheunemann is a total McCain guy. Interestingly, he’s a foreign policy wiz: I would not be surprised to see him on Palin’s A-team, or at least in a significant advisory role. Salter also pushed back, and there’s no one who’s more a McCain guy than Salter. He’s virtually McCain’s alter ego.

Like I said, we don’t know the whole behind-the-scenes story, and what Palin herself has said she wants from people, if anything.

As for the e-mails, the reason we haven’t seen them is that most of them are neither intended nor fit for publication, and mainly consist of “What did Tom say? If Dick says something, I might have something to say. If you don’t hear from him, get back to me when I’m back from Cabo, or have Harry call me.”

CK MacLeod on November 7, 2008 at 12:47 AM

And by “lurking” I mean “laughing”. :P

Tuning Spork on November 7, 2008 at 12:48 AM

The problem with Republicans is that they are not true conservatives any more. The only true conservative that ran was Fred Thompson until Palin came along. Can you imagine how energigized the base may have been with Thompson/Palin. And I guarentee Fred would have let Sarah be Sarah. He has those same qualities that she does. Watch Reagan or Fred or Sarah speak, they speak from their hearts and values, thats why it comes accross so genuine, because it is. That is why they shouldn’t be “handled”.

Sven on November 7, 2008 at 12:53 AM

I’ll just go back back to lurking now. Carry on…

Tuning Spork on November 7, 2008 at 12:46 AM

No sweat. :)

FloatingRock on November 7, 2008 at 12:54 AM

“Wise” Man..

McCain ran on his honor.. hell, his entire campaign was ‘My Friends, I’m John McCain and that’s enough”

But I learned more about him these last few months than I have before and have come to deeply respect the man and how he claims to live on his sense of honor. Part of the reason why I volunteered to be an election official was because of John McCain’s record of service to the country. Being a poll worker was one small way I can give back. It was a very rewarding experience, too. And now, Sarah Palin is being smeared yet again and McCain CAN do something about it.. He can take 5 minutes out of his cat nap to make a phone call or three and say, “Knock it off.”

He OWES that much to Sarah.

DaveC on November 7, 2008 at 12:57 AM

Look, if Biden’s gaffes had happened in private, and we later heard gossip from the Obama team about Biden not knowing who was President in 1929, or that Article I was the Executive Branch, or that J-O-B-S was 3 letters, would we have believed that those were deficits of knowledge or just brain farts and verbal missteps? It wouldn’t pass the laugh test. Neither should any of this in regards to Palin.

Good grief, she has been a mayor and a governor; she was a journalism major. Her parents were teachers. She has school age children. Does anyone really believe she didn’t really know these facts? It’s crazy.

SAZMD on November 7, 2008 at 12:59 AM

Palin has to be marginilised for more important reasons….

As the economy sinks with the possibility of higher taxes and more government intrusion there is still one way to bolster American economy and thats with ANWAR.

Sarah said we need energy independence and shes governo of a major portion of it.

Wouldnt it be delightful for the commies if when the subject was brought up again they could make a bunch of Palin jokes.

Sonosam on November 7, 2008 at 1:01 AM

wise_man……the mind boggles.

I’m still a relative newcomer to this site; as a newcomer I must say your behavior seems to lead credence to the thought that you have become unhinged. You have been all over several threads, tearing into anyone who dares criticize your hero. This has led me to think that:

A) You are related to McCain, or
B) You are being paid by the comment to defend him.

I will not apologize for criticizing McCain. Like many others I had to pry his finger out of my eye so I could see well enough to drive to the polls and vote for him. Gov. Palin was the only reason I could motivate myself to cast that vote.

It doesn’t surprise many of us that McCain can’t be bothered to call off his dogs from smearing Palin. He sulked and pouted far too long after he failed to get the nomination in 2000. Now he got the nomination, but still lost the election……can’t be Johnny’s fault, oh no must be Gov. Palin’s fault.

I can’t remember when a candidate’s family had to endure the garbage the media threw at Palin. For crissake, another goober accused Palin of being her son’s grandmother!!

It has to stop and there is no excuse for McCain’s silence. He obviously has phones at his ranch in Sedona; all he has to do is
pick up the phone and call in a response. Better yet, tell the offending members of his former staff that he will release their
names if they don’t STFU <—— you should be able to relate to that response.

Give it a rest wise_man PLEASE!!

poodlemom on November 7, 2008 at 1:08 AM

I noticed that too. So far Sarah’s shown a lot of grace in dealing with this stuff. I hope she continues to be gracious, and the person or persons doing the smearing end up with egg on their face and no jobs.

Here’s hoping that this all dies a quick death after the last Newsweek hit comes out. I assume that one will include all the stuff about the clothes, her going “rogue,” and the implosion of the campaign. It would be nice if it named senior staffers as planning to scapegoat Palin, but I’ll eat my hat if it happens.

meltenn on November 7, 2008 at 1:13 AM

yep if Palin does run in 2012 I’m quite sure that Scheunemann will be one of the first people put on her staff.

ousoonerfan15 on November 7, 2008 at 1:14 AM

The only true conservative that ran was Fred Thompson until Palin came along.

Fred! My fellow Tennessean! I heard a rumor today that there’s another Tennessean setting himself up to run in 2012. He wanted to wait til then because he felt like whoever ran this time was a sacrificial elephant so to speak.

meltenn on November 7, 2008 at 1:20 AM

McCain’s silence speaks volumes to the mans supposed character.

omnipotent on November 7, 2008 at 1:35 AM

I understand why he doesn’t do email, but am livid that John McCain is letting his staffers dump all over Sarah after she went to the mats for him.

Mac, hear this and hear it clearly: She is the only reason you weren’t Mondaled. You need to call off your petty little chump fourth-grader incompetents and at least give your running mate the same consideration you gave your opponent. Or are all those c-word stories not hyperbole after all?

RightTurnOnly on November 7, 2008 at 1:38 AM

Oh, and Campbell Brown is the worst kind of catty rhymes-with-reotch: the kind that tries to look all concerned about “justice” while driving the knife between Sarah Palin’s ribs.

As Auntie Em said to the Wicked Witch, “Elvira Gulch, I’ve waited 23 years to tell you what I think of you–and now that I’m a Christian, I can’t say it!”

RightTurnOnly on November 7, 2008 at 1:47 AM

Well she got the shaft from the MSM. That was a given. But from the McCain/Bush camp, well that is a complete violation of the Reagan 11th commandment. I am waiting for John McCain to repudiate these charges. If this doesn’t happen soon, then he is lost soul.

Sergei on November 7, 2008 at 1:53 AM

wise_man……the mind boggles.

A) You are related to McCain, or
B) You are being paid by the comment to defend him.

names if they don’t STFU <—— you should be able to relate to that response.

Give it a rest wise_man PLEASE!!

Well Said.

Geochelone on November 7, 2008 at 3:02 AM

I propose a trade: Shepherd Smith and Carl Cameron for Campbell Brown and a reporter to be named later.

Mr. Wednesday Night on November 7, 2008 at 3:07 AM

What’s that expression about “a day late and a dollar short” or something like that. Or something like that. Someone has probably already written it, but I’m tired.

Oh, yeah, them ostensibly defending her is just a way to keep it in the news, same way Obama and Biden would bring up the smears while from the other side of the mouth say, “oh, dear, children should be off limits.?

rlwo2008 on November 7, 2008 at 4:32 AM

I’ll start here by saying I will hunt down a list of all that worked on McCains campaign and anyone who dares hire these people for another campaign WILL NOT GET MY VOTE!

These leakers should be on the un-employment line permanently. Every-one of them get the Barack-face-Scratch from me!

Bicyea on November 7, 2008 at 6:52 AM

Well John McCain is certainly showing his true colors isn’t he? It feels good to recapture that same disgust I felt when he was first given the nomination- I was so mad, I said I was going to vote Obama as a protest vote, but then as I saw what Obama was, I reluctantly decided to hold my nose for McCain. When Sarah Palin appeared on the scene I was thrilled! For McCain to sit back in Sedona, snickering at what he must hope is his comeback, is a bitter pill to swallow. Let McCain go back to, what? The media darling? Sorry- that position’s taken. (at least for now) and the republican’s don’t want you anymore John- but at least you still have all that “honor” and “dignity” to keep you company

anniekc on November 7, 2008 at 7:22 AM

“It has to stop and there is no excuse for McCain’s silence”

McCain won’t do anything. She is not a Democrat.

davod on November 7, 2008 at 7:33 AM

Is this a gossip blog? In 4 years ain’t no one gonna remember or care about this petty bullcrap. Geesh.

lorien1973 on November 6, 2008 at 10:14 PM

Unfortunately the MSM is preparing for the 2012 elections looking toward Palin as being one of the contenders. The MSM will remember it, and they will use it. I can hear the anchor now, “Time for our CBS flashback to the 2008 campaign…Headline…According to McCain campaign advisors Sarah Palin doesn’t know that Africa is a continent. This anchor for one would like to know if she’s learned that simple geography lesson yet?”

sdd on November 7, 2008 at 7:53 AM

Not only should we shun the leakers and castigate any candidate that may hire them, we should send a message to all the 2012 GOP contenders that if they use any of this garbage during their campaigns, they won’t get our votes.

Even if the media brings it up in 2012, if we can keep GOP candidates from validating it, we should be in good shape.

myrenovations on November 7, 2008 at 7:59 AM

Here’s how the left responds, from comments section on the ABC article…

Sarah Palin didn’t even know that Africa was a continent. She’s twice as retarded as Trig.

V15J on November 7, 2008 at 8:02 AM

Oh goody are we back to McCain derangement syndrome???

Squid Shark on November 7, 2008 at 8:07 AM

anniekc on November 7, 2008 at 7:22 AM

Ahhhh it is good to see that old “Blame McCain” attitude again. I was getting creeped out.

Squid Shark on November 7, 2008 at 8:11 AM

I’ve been a McCain supporter since the beginning. I would have voted for him no matter who he picked for his running mate.

Having said that, his silence on this issue is astounding. I’m ashamed of him for not speaking up and I’m sorry for the support I’ve given him throughout these many months.

Shame on you Senator McCain. If you remain silent and let this trashing of a good woman and a great patriot continue, you are not the man I thought you were.

SueM on November 7, 2008 at 8:12 AM

Thompson/Palin would have been my dream ticket. Sigh . . .

Gina on November 7, 2008 at 8:17 AM

Gina on November 7, 2008 at 8:17 AM

Fred does like to run around with pretty young women…

Come to think of it, so does John…

Squid Shark on November 7, 2008 at 8:19 AM

Oh, behave yourself. Just because the liberals won doesn’t mean we have to act like them.

Gina on November 7, 2008 at 8:24 AM

Gina on November 7, 2008 at 8:24 AM

Heh we had some idiot from the UNF College Republicans at my McCain watch party. He was bitching to the local media about ACORN and stolen election etc. I wanted to tackle him and tell him to shut up and take his beating like a man.

Squid Shark on November 7, 2008 at 8:26 AM

Fred Thoompson is a true conservative.
I agree he and Palin would have been a great team.
But Fred was never going to get the nomination. Why?
its that 3 letter word, BORING…..

I could list several other candidates who ran too. Lets see…all of them! McCain was the last guy standing.

Ann Coulter has the right idea, “hunting down and punishing every Republican who voted for McCain in the primaries”

CinC on November 7, 2008 at 8:30 AM

I hope the cameras are running when someone tells the beloved Sarah that the Moon isn’t made of Swiss Cheese. That’s gonna blow her mind!

Vernon Hardapple on November 7, 2008 at 8:45 AM

CinC on November 7, 2008 at 8:30 AM

Hey that’s funny. And the last time I checked, the current tale of why McCain won – was because all the democrats crossed over to vote for the only democrat in the republican primary. Teh evil McCain. So now it’s ‘republicans’ who voted for McCain???

So which one is it? Get your stories straight.

wise_man on November 7, 2008 at 8:49 AM

SueM on November 7, 2008 at 8:12 AM

if I don’t hear a comment from McCain today (Friday) I am going to be very disappointed in him.

Red State State of Mind on November 7, 2008 at 8:51 AM

Oh goody are we back to McCain derangement syndrome???
Squid Shark on November 7, 2008 at 8:07 AM

I fully expect these people to continue their derangement for the next 4 to 8 years, and blame every bad thing that happens on McCain – just like the idiot democrats blamed everything on Bush. It’s the same mental disorder.

This is their way to redirect their anger against Obama to McCain, because he ‘didn’t want to win’ and he ‘secretly hated Palin’ and blah blah blah blah …

wise_man on November 7, 2008 at 8:53 AM

So which one is it? Get your stories straight.

wise_man on November 7, 2008 at 8:49 AM

the 2 aren’t mutually exclusive. many Republicans may have voted for Mccain in the primary, and many independents and Democrats may have also voted for him if theor state’s primary rules allowed them to. You do recognize that, don’t you?

Red State State of Mind on November 7, 2008 at 8:53 AM

We’ve got to face facts. Sarah Palin galvanized the GOP base, and she and McCain would have WON this election if the economy and banks hadn’t tanked a month before the election, as conveniently arranged by Chris Dodd, Barney Frank, and Franklin Raines, which the Great Communicators (sarc!) George W. Bush and John McCain failed to denounce.

Sarah Palin was probably NOT prepared for the media onslaught against her this time. She was an expert on Alaska issues, but Alaska media are more friendly to Republicans than the MSM on the Left Coasts. When we were facing $4/gallon gasoline and “Drill, Baby, Drill” seemed like a good solution, she was a good pick. When the economy tanked and Obama and the press blamed Bush, Romney would have been better in retrospect.

We need to also face the fact that McCain is the past, and Sarah Palin is the future. McCain is a war hero, and one of the heroes of the successful “surge” strategy in Iraq, but he will be 76 years old in 2012, and will probably go out someday as a respected “elder statesman” Senator like Jesse Helms, Strom Thurmond, or Phil Gramm.

There are reasons why Sarah Palin rose so fast in Alaska politics–she knows what she’s doing, she’s incorruptible, she’s smart, and she’s a fast learner. Maybe not fast enough to catapult from Governor of 600,000-odd people to Vice President in two months, but she is 44 years old and has PLENTY of time now. Let her go back to Alaska and establish a longer record there. Let her rub elbows with Republican foreign-policy experts and “learn the ropes”, and have a competent staff ready for 2012. Let her make frequent phone calls with Bobby Jindal and Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich to plan the comeback. Let her make rebuttal speeches when Obama runs off into left field, which will seem like wisdom in a few years.

Let’s not blame Palin, or McCain, and if their staffers blame each other, let them do it in private, without the media. It was the economy, stupid, and Bush got blamed for it. Unjustly, yes, but politics isn’t fair. But Palin will be back. She is slightly younger now (44) than Richard Nixon was in 1960 (47), when he lost the Presidency, and Nixon came back to WIN the Presidency 8 years later. Major difference between Palin and Nixon–Palin is incorruptible–advantage Palin. She’ll be back. Just give her the time.

Steve Z on November 7, 2008 at 9:18 AM

There is a link available on the McCain website to “send a message to Senator McCain” if anyone is interested. http://www.johnmccain.com

sweetsarah on November 7, 2008 at 9:27 AM

The Media still fears Palin and her future, they will keep this up for some time.

GunnyRet03 on November 7, 2008 at 9:37 AM

This has led me to think that:
A) You are related to McCain, or
B) You are being paid by the comment to defend him. poodlemom

Pood, he is McCain, which is why he seems so unhinged.

Akzed on November 7, 2008 at 9:37 AM

There are 3 different groups inside the Republican party trying to tear Palin down.

1–McCain campaign staff who blame Palin for their own failures. They ran a horrible campaign & want to use Palin as a scapegoat.

2–Romney’s people, preparing for 2012.

3–Huckabee’s people, preparing for 2012. This gem from the Huckster’s Iowa campaign manager appeared in today’s Des Moines Register. “I do not see how Gov. Sarah Palin comes back onto the national stage with th emeasure of crediblity she needs to succeed.”

The race for 2012 is already on, the slimeballs in the Romney & Huckabee camp are already attacking. Pathetic.

bigred on November 6, 2008 at 10:32 PM

I agree on 1, above and wouldn’t be surprised if 3 were true. However, your reference to “Romney’s people” implies that CURRENT people in Romney’s camp dissed Sarah. I don’t know if you meant to convey that message, but that has not been proven.

I take it you are referring to an Oct. 27 American Spectator article which reported FORMER Romney campaign staffers, some of whom were working in McCain’s camp, spreading the anti-Palin remarks.

These remarks, as despicable as they are, should not be attributed to Mitt Romney unless and until he himself, or someone verified to be in Romney’s CURRENT inner circle, utters such words.

I personally think that Romney and Sarah would make a dynamic duo for 2012, and I can only hope that the remarks from Romney’s FORMER staffers do not harm the chances of this happening. Romney should obviously jettison any former staffer involved in these leaks if he hopes to go forward on a national stage.

Mitt Romney should have been our 2008 Republican nominee to begin with. It was only because of the back-door deal between McCain and Huckabee that Romney was denied a victory in West Virginia, and thus denied momentum going forward in the primaries. (Perversely, McCain fought harder against Romney than he did against Obama.) Mitt Romney was the most articulate and intelligent Republican candidate in our 2008 field, and I find unfounded attacks on him just as distasteful as the ones on Sarah.

OneVision on November 7, 2008 at 9:45 AM

poodlemom on November 7, 2008 at 1:08 AM

You know the funny thing is, when I commented on liberal blogs and defended George W Bush against their smears and lies, more than one thought that I

A) You are related to George W Bush, or
B) You are being paid by the comment to defend him.

And the fact of the matter is that I saw someone lying and smearing a good man when they had no facts to back their lies and smears.

I discounted their actions to just being idiot liberals.

And now this is happening to me here, I see this isn’t exclusive to liberals, but being a*holes knows no political boundaries. So F off, a*hole.

wise_man on November 7, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Akzed on November 7, 2008 at 9:37 AM

And screw you.

wise_man on November 7, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Where have you gone John McCain?

nocomme1 on November 7, 2008 at 10:07 AM

Wait, wait, wait… Fox News is supplying smears about Sarah Palin…
And CNN is defending her against them?
Maybe the world really is ending.
MadisonConservative on November 6, 2008 at 10:13 PM

People come here and make comments that we shouldn’t link to negative stories. And you are usually the first toadie to hop up and accuse them of wanting only good news and an echo chamber, which is not what they are asking for.

And now Fox News reports on this, and you think that their reporting on this news is “supplying smears against Palin” by reporting about the one or two idiots in the McCain campaign who are making these false charges.

You really are mentally deranged and a hypocrite for defending all the negative bad news that is trumpeted here … and then slamming Fox News for reporting on this news story. Un-F*king believable. I can’t understand how so many people here can be so mentally deranged. Again, I used to think that this form of mental illness was relegated to liberals.

I was wrong.

wise_man on November 7, 2008 at 10:09 AM

wise_man on November 7, 2008 at 10:09 AM

I thought these were just two or three people, not people “in the McCain campaign”. You didn’t like that phraseology because it implied connection. Amazing how your song keeps changing.

As for mental illness, it’s far more detectable from a person who responds with “STFU” every other post, or other gems such as:

And screw you.

wise_man on November 7, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Stop posting if this is all your feeble intellect can muster.

MadisonConservative on November 7, 2008 at 10:12 AM

You are a bold faced hypocrite. And a toadie.

wise_man on November 7, 2008 at 10:23 AM

You are a bold faced hypocrite. And a toadie.

wise_man on November 7, 2008 at 10:23 AM

You have to be a serious McCain cult worshipper to believe that Palin answering the door in a bathrobe is news.

MadisonConservative on November 7, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Again, another lie. You lie as easy as you take breath. Go to hell, liar. Get a new hobby or find someone else to lie about.

wise_man on November 7, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Wise_man, I applaud your support for your candidate but your delusion is in assuming that he is above criticism. In the case of Sarah Palin being the victim of hateful attacks coming from within his campaign, he deserves the criticism. All of it. In hindsight, his campaign was a disaster, with the exception of Sarah Palin as his running mate. He put his faith in people who were not up to the task. We put our faith in a candidate who we assumed, based on his experience in politics, knew what he was doing. He sent a message that honor and integrity were the guiding principles of his campaign. He made some serious mistakes all the way through but he kept up the message even while defending his opponent. So where is the honor and integrity now? This is the reason for the uproar. His silence defies his character and not only is that disappointing, it is offensive for those of us who jumped on his bandwagon because of Sarah Palin. Sarah suffered through criticism and attacks that no individual should have to live through. McCain owes her a statement of support. Nothing less will suffice.

sherry on November 7, 2008 at 10:41 AM

I only criticize the people who are outright lying about him, sherry. I would have hoped that we were above so proudly declaring him guilty until proven innocent. His silence is disappointing, but it is not evidence of his agreement of these disgusting rumors.

wise_man on November 7, 2008 at 10:49 AM

It is funny how people from the left are questioning Sarah Palin knowledge of geography or world events. When the majority of Obama’s supporters do not even know who is the current VP of the US. I asked one of the young engineers reporting to me. Why she voted for Obama. Her answered was “I wanted to be part of history”. If you question her on the issues she had no clue. Believe me Obama is not the most intellectual or intelligent guy in the world. The MSM help him to win by covering up all the crap his done in the pass.

pukara61 on November 7, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Wise Man, maybe not evidence, but he runs the risk of his response being filed under the “too little, too late” category which carries a very long shelf-life.

sherry on November 7, 2008 at 11:02 AM

I only criticize the people who are outright lying about him, sherry.

wise_man on November 7, 2008 at 10:49 AM

You called people who brought up his amnesty, CFR, global warming, and Bush tax cut positions “traitors”. You said “shut up and vote for him”. Your spin is amazing.

MadisonConservative on November 7, 2008 at 11:05 AM

wise_man on November 7, 2008 at 10:49 AM

And that’s the same attitude we applied to Obama’s silence about Wright, eh? Rich that you even dare to call others hypocrites.

MadisonConservative on November 7, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Did someone from the MSM, from CNN no less, just defend Sarah Palin?

The world is turning upside down!

t.ferg on November 7, 2008 at 11:10 AM

CinC on November 7, 2008 at 8:30 AM

Ann Coulter is continuing to show why she is on the slow boat to irrelevancy,

Squid Shark on November 7, 2008 at 11:22 AM

MadisonConservative on November 7, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Why are you living in the past and constantly bring up irrelevant and false points in a apparent desperate attempt to change the subject. It’s like you’re suffering from a mental disorder.

wise_man on November 7, 2008 at 11:23 AM

MadisonConservative on November 7, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Obama talked about Wright when he gave his race relations speech. Seriously, why are you so messed up in the head?

wise_man on November 7, 2008 at 11:24 AM

wise_man on November 7, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Obama stalled on Wright for days, just like your totem is on Palin. It comes from people in his campaign, which you yourself confirmed, and therefore he has a responsibility to address it. His failure to do so implies either complicity or cowardice.

Can you even carry on a conversation that challenges McCain without questioning the person’s intelligence, saying “STFU”, or referring to feces?

MadisonConservative on November 7, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Wise man: Really? Will you please chill out and stop throwing profanity around? I get what you’re saying – you’re a smart guy. I’m pretty positive that you can get your position across without telling everyone else to f*** off.

Sarah Palin is the reason I am a political junkie. She appealed to a whole new demographic for McCain – as an early 20-something conservative, she got me excited about my country, and reminded me that bipartisanship is soooo not the answer. She’s been graceful and honest and transparent, and I am going to miss her. I can only hope she doesn’t go away.

pinkelephants on November 7, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Oh noes, you just threw profanity around, pinkelephants.

wise_man on November 7, 2008 at 12:02 PM

OK, I will put this in language of a teen-ager: if instead of just being thoroughly beaten, McCain and the Republicans would have been knocked down and stomped the holy-hell out of if they didn’t have Palin on their team. I thoroughly doubt that a daughter of a school teacher would have faired badly on a geography question about southern Africa like they say, it just doesn’t add up. As far as her answering the door in her bathrobe, if it doesn’t bother her, it wouldn’t bother me. OK? Todd and the kids were probably around, she was putting in a Spartan schedule, and besides, if you’re a guy, that would be like eye candy, wouldn’t it? Give me a break….!

DL13 on November 7, 2008 at 12:21 PM

pinkelephants on November 7, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Responsible bi-partisanship is the answer, aquiensence is not, there is a difference.

Squid Shark on November 7, 2008 at 12:22 PM

DL13 on November 7, 2008 at 12:21 PM

I doubt the result would have been much different with a Romney or a Pawlenty.

Squid Shark on November 7, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Squid Shark on November 7, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Maybe not, but the Republicans were not energized before Sarah Palin was selected as their pick for VP. They were headin’ for a butt whippin’ and I know the Dems would have used Romney’s religion as a reason not to vote for him. I will say that she energized the Dems because they feared that she just might help pull off the upset….

DL13 on November 7, 2008 at 12:33 PM

DL13 on November 7, 2008 at 12:33 PM

TPaw would have gotten Republicans energized methinks.

Also, the Dems used Palins religion as a reason not to vote for her.

Squid Shark on November 7, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Palin is Trig.

username on November 7, 2008 at 1:02 PM

If we’re supposed to think that McCain hasn’t said/done anything about smears of his hand-picked VP choice coming from his campaign staff because he’s so tired after running for President maybe as a country we dodged a bullet by the ticket losing?

katiejane on November 7, 2008 at 1:45 PM

MadisonConservative on November 7, 2008 at 11:05 AM

wise_man on November 7, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Obama? Is that you?

FloatingRock on November 7, 2008 at 2:34 PM

One thing good about wise_man: I can cut through the posts a lot more quickly when I see his name coming.

RightTurnOnly on November 7, 2008 at 4:40 PM

careful mac boy………. you are on the verge of
becoming a political leper………
just ask peggy noonan
nicolle wallace
steve schmidt…………

attitude reflect leadership johnny boy!!!!!!

tamtam20 on November 7, 2008 at 5:31 PM

I’m not a particularly religious person, but between Tuesday and today, I’ve come to see that God does indeed work in mysterious ways. I prayed for a McCain win, but my prayers weren’t answered — or were they? More and more, I see that the cause of conservatism dodged a bullet last Tuesday. We might have been saddled with this small, petty, RINO and his merry band of anti-intellectual, petulant professional “campaigners” for 4 years, a time during which the “Republican brand” would have been good and well destroyed for all time. No doubt about it. McCain and his butt boys, you see, have no ideology at all, left, right or center. Sadly, they aren’t smart enough to. They’re just a gang of insecure fools whose wives, in all likelihood, can’t stand them, and Sarah Palin, I think, reminded them of their impotence on a daily basis, simply by showing up and believing in something. I’ll stand with the wives on this one. They’re idiots. And they embarrass me.

Instead, we have Barack Obama, who, judging by his first press conference today at which he took a malicious shot at poor, broken Nancy Reagan, will provide more than ample contrast for a GOOD Republican candidate the next time around. Instead of the Republican Party facing the awkward gesture of having to ask a President John McCain in 4 years to please, just go away, the party now has a chance to field a, ummm, “transformational” candidate to stand in stark contrast to the anti-intellectualism and what I’m sure will be the soaring incompetence of the Obama presidency. Thank God that man (or woman) we send up in 4 years won’t be John McCain. Thank God. Thank God. Thank God.

Yes, we dodged a bullet, and my prayers, I think, were justly answered last Tuesday.

Rational Thought on November 7, 2008 at 5:32 PM

sherry on November 7, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Well it’s evident that he’s not defending her , that’s bad enough.

the_nile on November 7, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Here’s one way we can show our support for Governor Palin and send a loud and clear message to these “anonymous” leakers that their days as Republican operatives is coming to and end. Go to http://www.cafepress.com/rmrbps

RMR on November 7, 2008 at 7:20 PM

I love that look of fake indignation Alma Brown uses to pretend she gives a toss about Palin. She probably got a tingle up her leg reciting those derogatory accusations – why repeat them if she thinks them so unfair?

She “hopes it will be the last time” she mentions anyone involved with Sarah Palin and McCain’s campaign. Yeah, we hope so too, Alma.

Stick to cheerleading for Obama.

Maura O on November 7, 2008 at 7:48 PM

Rational Thought on November 7, 2008 at 5:32 PM

I’m with you. I was also praying for the BO to lose. I was onboard the McCain/Palin ticket once Palin entered the equation. I was in a state of shock for the past several weeks, basically since McCain signed that asinine bailout bill. I was waiting for him to play ball and he never did. Every day I couldn’t believe the mistakes he and his campaign were making. It seemed as if there was a saboteur in his midst. I also think it may have been a blessing that he lost. I can’t wait for 2012. I hope we, on the right, will wise up and pick a real conservative.
As far as a few of you here who are giving a positive response to the above Campbell Brown. Don’t be fooled. She is a left-wing nutjob. She was not and never will defend Palin. If Palin were hanging from the Empire State building by one finger, Ms. Brown would stomp on it in a heartbeat.

newtogop on November 7, 2008 at 8:16 PM

I’m starting to raise my opinion of her. At least she can recognize when invective goes over the line. Campbell, please believe that the rest of us Republicans come to our beliefs and decisions honestly. That thought will take you a long way….

JeffWeimer on November 7, 2008 at 8:32 PM

JeffWeimer on November 7, 2008 at 8:32 PM

Are you kidding me? Listen to her again. A post above, RightTurnOnly- has it right about little missy Brown.

newtogop on November 7, 2008 at 8:39 PM

oops. I did the quote wrong. Jeff did not say those 3 sentances, I did. Sorry.

newtogop on November 7, 2008 at 8:41 PM

sentences. Too much merlot tonight.

newtogop on November 7, 2008 at 8:42 PM

wise_man on November 7, 2008 at 12:02 PM

You do realize that the attitude that you have shown the past couple of days is not distinguishing you as a reasoning person, don’t you? I understand your frustration. A lot of us are frustrated after this election. But marginalizing yourself by trashing your own reputation is not going to help you win any debates.

One of the most important aspects of having people give your comments credence is to sound reasonable. When you insult people you blow that right away. All it serves to accomplish is to make people discount you as a hothead with no facts, just insults.

Hawthorne on November 8, 2008 at 12:31 AM

If we look at the situation I think it is reasonable to draw a couple of conclusions from what we know.

Palin herself indicates that the people making these accusations are probably from her debate prep team. This is based on the nature of some of the information that was leaked.

Steve Schmidt, Nicole Wallace, and her husband have been named as possible sources. All of these people have a history of being neo-cons.

Fox News is a station that has been decidedly friendly with the neo-cons as well. People like Fred Barnes, Bill Kristol, and Mort Kondrake have all been vocal about the Republican party needed to be more moderate.

I do not think that McCain, or any of the other candidates from the Presidential primaries are at fault. Given the facts that I see, I believe this is an attempt by the neo-con powers in the Republican party machine to marginalize a strong conservative. They do not want the party to go back to the right and they are trying to stop that.

Hawthorne on November 8, 2008 at 12:39 AM

Hey, everybody: note that the “sources” are “anonymous” and therefore, my first assumption is that they’re Liberals.

More than a few wild rumors have begun by “anonymous” jerks on the internet posing as your best bud or close confidant or trusted coworker/employee, whatever.

I tend to think that the sources are undoubtedly creepy Leftists thinking they’re cool, along the same lines they think pulling wings off flies is ‘fun’.

Palin is handling the stupid and baseless gossip well. McCain is losing confidence among the Right for not speaking out against these stupid stories.

BUT, Carl Cameron and Shep on FOX take the cake for being utter stupids for even including this nonsense on their “reports.”

Once again, I’m sure the sources are Liberals. Note they’re not confident, moral or brave enough to attach their names to these stories, thus, they have to be Liberals.

Palin’s now the favorite target of people such as that. For obvious reasons, because she’s enjoying a much-well-earned high favorable support among Republicans. So, thus, the Left is going to hate her no matter what, and they do so love to be “anonymous” when they smear Republicans.

S on November 8, 2008 at 7:40 AM

No it’s not news, but it is hot. Seriously hot.

Blacksheep on November 8, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Campbell Brown: Some of the Palin leakers’ smears are “patently false”

That’s great Campbell. Now please stop saying, “No Bias, No Bull”, over and over again like a broken record. Them Palin smears aren’t the only thing “patently false”.

apacalyps on November 8, 2008 at 5:20 PM