Palin: “If I cost John McCain even one vote then I am sorry about that”

posted at 2:20 pm on November 5, 2008 by Allahpundit

Here’s my pessimism post from the day she was announced; I think it held up well. She did cost McCain one vote — namely, Dennis Hopper’s — but she surely didn’t cost him 100 EVs, which it turns out is what he would have needed to win. Onward and upward, then, for the ‘Cuda. Anyone who can draw a crowd the way she does has a future nationally, but Fey plus the Couric and Gibson interviews leaves her with image repair to do among the indies she’d have to win to be president. The way forward, as I see it:

1. Don’t run for Senate. Run for governor again.

2. Study. The left will be expecting doltishness in every policy interview she gives going forward. Each one is an opportunity to surprise them.

3. Embrace bipartisanship. The ‘Cuda has the base in her pocket, thanks partly to her record, partly to her personal charm, and partly to her Jacksonian moose-hunter persona. I’m half convinced that if she came out for immediate and unconditional amnesty tomorrow, she’d flip 50 percent of conservatives instantly on the issue. Since there’s nothing she can do to alienate them, forget about them and concentrate on the center. She has a record of working with Dems in Alaska; that’s been complicated by her attacks on The One, but she’s got nothing but time to put it back together.

4. Keep a high national profile. A fundraiser here, a TV appearance there, periodic conference calls with the staff of the Weekly Standard, and she’s in business. Some sort of charitable initiative, ideally one that takes her overseas, would also be useful.

And there you have it. Foolproof, unless the sniping from McCain aides (and possibly McCain himself) destroys her reputation — which it won’t, per point 3. Exit question poll: Romney 33, Huckabee 20, Palin 18.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Actually DF Clomm that is what I am saying:approaches, issues, policies, beliefs, philosophy yes; backbiting, sniping at each other no.

technopeasant on November 5, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Who can enthusiastically get behind a guy who is yelling at you to fight with him, then hands you a nerf bat?
capitalist piglet on November 5, 2008 at 2:27 PM

lol, zackly!

james23 on November 5, 2008 at 5:35 PM

Reality check – we can’t win Florida or the mountain west without appealing to Hispanics.

We can’t win the presidency without Florida and the mountain west states. How do we do this? They’re social conservative – will that be enough?

kcewa on November 5, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Kamikaze on November 5, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Yep. I’ve been thinking the same thing. Conservatism has been hijacked by abortion and gay marriage zealots.

jdkchem on November 5, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Low fair taxes
Responsible spending
Social conservatism
Ensure reasonable monitoring of business ethics

If President Bush had ensured ALL of these we would not be staring at 4 wonderful years of Obama.

Jamson64 on November 5, 2008 at 5:40 PM

kcewa on November 5, 2008 at 5:40 PM

You cannot win until you crush the entitlement manifesto being driven into the skulls of the electorate.

jdkchem on November 5, 2008 at 5:42 PM

On one hand I don’t blame John for the loss.It was a best a long shot, even with the choice of Sarah Palin, that John would prevail. The odds were just against us. The financial meltdown provided the coup de grace. We just didn’t know it at the time. On the other hand, reaching across the aisle may be a benefit for a negotiator-in-chief, but when one is auditioning for CIC and consistently tells us to fight and never give up in our goal to defeat the opponent he is not a very good salesman if he constantly harps on the concept of a ‘fair fight’ and refuses to adopt the ‘take no prisoners strategy’.

technopeasant on November 5, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Thank you. Tell me about him.

HornetSting on November 5, 2008 at 5:03 PM

It’s easy: picture the calm, intellectual confidence of Barack Obama, and an equally groundbreaking presence in Presidential politics – he’s Jewish – only this time, the speaker actually knows wtf he’s talking about, doesn’t populate every sentence with 15 seconds of “…uuuuuuhhhhhh…aaaahhhhh”, and doesn’t contradict himself on every statement within 48 hours.

In other words, he actually has both a functioning brain and a functioning conscience, unlike Barry the Car Salesman.

PS All you Allah-like Obama knob-swallowers can GFYs.

Jaibones on November 5, 2008 at 5:43 PM

They trend conservative? Is that why they have a socialist party in Mexico? Obama goes to church, and has a family that he is actually involved with so does that make him a conservative?

DFCtomm on November 5, 2008 at 5:22 PM

We have a socialist party in the US. Does that make us any less center-right as a people?

Pew data found that while only 33 percent of Hispanic Catholics voted for President Bush over Democratic challenger John Kerry in 2004, some 56 percent of Hispanics who identified themselves as non-Catholic Christians voted Republican.

What exactly is a conservative, DFC?

trailboss on November 5, 2008 at 5:30 PM

You want to debate whether the Hispanic population will ever majority go Republican, then you need to head over to Steve Sailor’s site. He loves this kind of thing, much to the detriment of his career, and will argue with you all day about it. I think if it hasn’t happened for two Republican candidates like Bush and McCain, who pander to Hispanics, then it’s not going to happen, and we need to formulate our position with that in mind.

You’re really going to compare the size of the socialist party in Mexico with the U.S. socialist party, and I don’t mean the Democrats? It’s a good question about conservatism. I would say a conservative cares about American tradition, culture, freedom, and small government.

DFCtomm on November 5, 2008 at 5:44 PM

jdkchem on November 5, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Hmmm Gay marriage went down in three states. We had very high turnout this year. I think it is a winning issue.

Americans in general know abortion is wrong and it is still a winning issue. It has been in the past and will be in the future.

We lost this time due to the economy not due to your pet issues kuje pro-abortion and gay rights you “zealot”. The support of the murder of our kids and the support of rights not found in the Constitution only exhibits your failings and your ignorance.

Jamson64 on November 5, 2008 at 5:46 PM

technopeasant on November 5, 2008 at 5:31 PM

I know but you said daggers, and I thought razors, and that’s the rest of the story.

DFCtomm on November 5, 2008 at 5:46 PM

Apparently Carl Cameron is going on O’Reilly tonight to continue the “throw Sarah under the bus” campaign by McCain aides. He’s apparently going to say that she refused to do interview prep for the Gibson and Couric interviews. Not sure what else is on tap. Hope he talked to some Palin aides to get some counterbalance, but I’m not holding my breath. I read a while back (right after the wardrobe thing broke) that Nicolle Wallace (senior advisor) said that there seemed to be an organized effort to throw her (Wallace that is) under the bus for it. Seems to me that it’s an organized effort by Wallace, Schmitt, et al. to hang it all around Sarah’s neck then throw her overboard and watch her drown. Things like this make me wonder why anyone gets into politics at all.

meltenn on November 5, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Conservatism has been hijacked by abortion and gay marriage zealots.

Conservatives can’t win without us zealots, thank you very much.

The market for small gov’t is not growing and (sad to say) will never attract a majority of the population. And the republican party has been damaged on national security by Bush’s mis-handling of Iraq.

The only growth area is people forming families and realizing how sick our culture is when they try to raise their kids.

kcewa on November 5, 2008 at 5:49 PM

AP:

“Embrace bipartisanship. The ‘Cuda has the base in her pocket, thanks partly to her record, partly to her personal charm, and partly to her Jacksonian moose-hunter persona.”

Sometimes I think your full time job must be with the AP. I was going to refer to Palin’s experience in Alaska, but Terrye beat me to the punch.

“I heard Palin say that it was her ability to work with members of both parties in Alaska that allowed her to clean up the corruption. I think maybe her practical experience here is more important than some ideological fervor that accomplishes nothing.”

davod on November 5, 2008 at 5:49 PM

Going forward, as others have said, we do not need a squishy, centrist “conservative”. Sarah needs to stay very close to her conservative roots. She has already become a surrogate for the mostly silent (until now) conservative female community….see teamsarah.org for proof of this!

As a proLife female with my own small, but thriving international business, I was brought to tears during her convention speech. For the first time in my life I felt there was someone on a ticket that actually spoke for me.

…so modify #3 on your list! As the youth vote matures they will recognize the financial (if not moral) impact of their choices. “If you are not a liberal in your 20′s, you have no heart…but if you are not a conservative by the time you are 40 you have no brain.”

LEBA on November 5, 2008 at 5:50 PM

If McCain did not have Palin – he would been wiped out even more.

Sarah -Stay on issues that matter – and dont play the political flip flop game, no thanks AP

defendfaithandfamily on November 5, 2008 at 5:51 PM

LEBA on November 5, 2008 at 5:50 PM

you said it LEBA
Conservatives need to pick themselves off the floor and continue to stand strong

defendfaithandfamily on November 5, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Palinpuma on November 5, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Jaibones on November 5, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Thank you for that. Cantor. Get em’ Jaibones…ooops, almost called you Jailbones. Ew.

HornetSting on November 5, 2008 at 5:59 PM

To imply that Sarah’s supposed sub-par performances in 2 heavily-edited interviews caused McCain to lose the election by a substantial margin is ridiculous; she more than made up for them in her debate performance, her appearance on SNL and even more importantly her performance on the stump in the last 3 weeks. If the handlers were so concerned about her so-called lack of prep before the interviews why did they schedule them in the first place and why with the MSM, secondly why did they not cancel or reschedule them and thirdly why did McCain let this happen at all? The better question to ask the campaign is why didn’t Sarah go on right-wing talk radio at the start of the campaign, why did McCain go on SNL with Tina Fey so Sarah could be mocked in his presence and why wasn’t she put in TV ads at the end of the campaign to use her charisma to put over an issue and to attract voters at the same time?

technopeasant on November 5, 2008 at 5:59 PM

There is a poll up here for Sarah Palin, what she should do next the comments were taken off moderation because of natsy trolling appears to have stopped well one managed to sneak in this was mild compared to what was being blocked you stay classy andrewwalker77 I mean you won and this is how you celebrate? This post went up this morning and has gotten a lot of response People really connected with Governor Sarah Palin.

Dr Evil on November 5, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Palinpuma

Yeh Obama spent a little. So much for campaign reform.

Machiavelli would be proud

Jamson64 on November 5, 2008 at 6:03 PM

PS:

With regard to Bi-Partisanship. Everyone needs a moral compass, a set of core values which rarely change. A political party is no different.

Reagan had a moral compass and his policies stemmed from these. He rarely moved away from his values, even when embracing what we call bi-partisanship.

There is a lesson here. You should set markers based upon your core values and never cross the line, even in the name of bi-partisanship. The Democrats learn’t this a long time ago. What they invariably do, in the name of bi-partisanship, is pull Republicans across onto their side of the line.

Bi-partisanship for the sake of bi-partisanship is no virtue.

davod on November 5, 2008 at 6:04 PM

…so modify #3 on your list! As the youth vote matures they will recognize the financial (if not moral) impact of their choices. “If you are not a liberal in your 20’s, you have no heart…but if you are not a conservative by the time you are 40 you have no brain.”

LEBA on November 5, 2008 at 5:50 PM

I guess I don’t have a heart. Have always been a conservative. Age 18-1992-Voted for Bush.
Fought with my professors who tried to indoctrinate me. I’d hate to be in college now….it’s worse.

HornetSting on November 5, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Her future is so bright, she’s going to have to start wearing shades. It’s laughable that Palin cost McCain anything. McCain was doing townhalls with 100-200 people at a time before he picked Palin. We all know what happened to the crowds once he did.

Hog Wild on November 5, 2008 at 6:09 PM

“I can’t believe how you folks don’t even mention that fact that Obama killed McCain on the airwaves…Palinpuma on November 5, 2008 at 5:58 PM”

Which begs the question: Will there be any investigation into the fundraising activities of the Obama campaign?

davod on November 5, 2008 at 6:10 PM

You do have to love the fact that the Dems were much more complicit than Dems in the Fannie Mae / Freddie Mac deal and the media’s distortion allowed the Dems to gain from it.

This Democrat Congress had historically low approval ratings and yet gained seats. Either the media was on a mission or Americans are sometimes easily duped.(Or Both)
Of course there was one poll that noted 40% of Americans did not know the Dems ran Congress. So much for an informed electorate. The leaders of Acorn must be proud.

Jamson64 on November 5, 2008 at 6:10 PM

It’s like 2006 all over again. Off the cliff we go – whee!
*shakes head*

Bradky on November 5, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Remember that many on the left have pushed this negative talk on Palin and some on the right have latched on hoping for some crumbs. The reality is that conservatism, including social issues, can still win. The left is hoping to crush this fact and their cohorts in crime on the right are sadly cooperating.

Jamson64 on November 5, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Bradky…you have anything of substance? Dare I ask anything with gravitas?

little troll

Jamson64 on November 5, 2008 at 6:14 PM

Then I balanced out Dennis Hopper’s vote, and your pessimism was for naught… because Palin is about the only pick that would have caused me to vote for McCain. McCain offered nothing for the base, and he wouldn’t have had a snowballs chance in hell.

As it is, I don’t think that Palin brought down McCain down but rather that McCain threw a damp blanket over her and hampered (until the last “minute”) her ability to shine.

dominigan on November 5, 2008 at 6:16 PM

I VOTED FOR McCAIN BECAUSE OF GOV PALIN!!!
christene on November 5, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Christene I voted for Palin in spite of McCain!!!
She is a very sharp lady. I would follow her anyway she wanted to lead. She would really change this great country, to be what we used to be. Better than ever.

Gandalf on November 5, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Bradky…you have anything of substance? Dare I ask anything with gravitas?

little troll

Jamson64 on November 5, 2008 at 6:14 PM

Sure – go back in the archives and read the comments from Nov 06 and then take an objective look at the doom and gloom comments in the threads today. Then for kicks and giggles look at how the left behaved from 2000-2004. See if you can connect the dots.

Bradky on November 5, 2008 at 6:20 PM

On a related note… I suggest the Republican party seriously consider how much the RINO pandering to the left has hurt the party. If they don’t get their butts in gear over the next year and seriously make real improvements…

…then I advocate for a 3rd Conservative party and that we try to get Palin and Jindal to switch. The result would be a strongly motivated party excited for their ideals. I would LOVE to be part of something like that!

dominigan on November 5, 2008 at 6:20 PM

dominigan on November 5, 2008 at 6:20 PM

50 or 60 electoral votes with that third party?

Bradky on November 5, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Dominigan…. I disagree…take back YOUR party

Jamson64 on November 5, 2008 at 6:25 PM

60% of McCain’s vote was for Sarah.

He was DOLE II from the start and only she revived his doddering, diffident, dithering doofus of a campaign.

profitsbeard on November 5, 2008 at 6:28 PM

profitsbeard on November 5, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Proof?

Bradky on November 5, 2008 at 6:30 PM

You did fine, Gov. Palin. I have no doubt you made it closer than it would have been otherwise.

SouthernGent on November 5, 2008 at 6:30 PM

MOST of the media is now on a mission to REDUCE the expectations for the Obama presidency.

Obama supporters were duped.

Jamson64 on November 5, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Davod…amen! A moral compass, or what for me is a God-centered World View, consists of the few issues on which you will not compromise. As conservatives, we can and should resist the neck-crook as it attempts to drag us across the ‘aisle’.

To be effective in government and have any chance at national governance, we will need to carefully define positions on issues we will not compromise. We need to grow a back bone as a group (party? movement? coalition??) but get the word out to individuals. We need a unified message (did any of you get SICK of the Bush/McCain connection forced down our throats by the left??) that speaks to the needs of our nation, answers the burning questions of our society and rings true to our conservative moral compass.

LEBA on November 5, 2008 at 6:33 PM

What I have taken out of this election is that the United States will never elect a female President.

One weakness I see is that Sarah is Pro-life. Independent and moderate Republican women won’t agree.

Another question. Will I ever see Sarah Palin again on Australian TV?

Crux Australis on November 5, 2008 at 6:35 PM

I don’t get this “gentile” stuff, are you being funny or sarcastic? Or just plain stupid.

right2bright on November 5, 2008 at 5:19 PM

Why approach me in an insulting manner? I mean, if you really want to know what I am trying to say then why not just ask politely? Hmm? You claim to be a Christian, right? Well, act like one. Now, I try hard and research a lot to try to be right. That said, I am certainly willing to be corrected by friend or foe. Yes, Gentile means non-Jew. What I was trying to say is we need to build a movement of patriotic, right-wing, righteous people, along with Christians, to put this country back on the right track. That will stand for what’s right. That will stand for the truth. That will stand up for justice. That will save America and will take America back. In hindsight, I could have phrased things differently. Fair enough. But, even if it is proven that I am saying something that is not correct, don’t be fooled into thinking that one incorrect statement means everything else I say is wrong. Americans are hungry for answers! They urgently want new leadership. They urgently want new hope. They urgently want people who are courageous, in a politically incorrect way, to take us in a completely new direction! That is the truth.

apacalyps on November 5, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Note to Palin:

1. Don’t embrace bipartisanship. McCain used you, and still couldn’t pull it off. You were regarded as a rising star before you were nominated – keep going on that, rather than your stint as a candidate. Be what you were – a Conservative, rather than a McCain clone, which you’re not (and that’s a good thing too). Also, distance yourself from McCain’s Liberal policies just as you did for drilling in ANWR.

2. Focus on governing Alaska, and do what you can to make it a major energy producer and provider to the rest of the country. Make that the cornerstone of any future run for office, and any other policy highlights you have, make it primary session icing, but not general election material. Make sure you have a solid resume after 6 years.

3. Get up to speed on world events. It is essentially a policy that can be split into 2 parts – a. Russia, China and Europe; b. Islam and the threat it poses the US (Don’t buy the standard party line malarkey about the religion of peace)

4. Build allies in the GOP in the new Congress, particularly leadership. It helps to have the endorsements momentum behind you.

5. Maintain a high profile where possible, particularly re: energy issues. That makes you identified as an economic conservative, even though the social conservatives already identify you as one of their own.

6. Make sure there are no personal scandals dogging you e.g. none of your unmarried daughters is pregnant: granted, this should be private, but you know the Libs – they’ll scream ‘family values – look at her’.

Do this, and you should be the frontrunner.

infidelpride on November 5, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Also, if you net cost McCain votes, it’s okay to apologize. But there will always be people who’d have voted against him because of you, just as there will be those who voted for him because of you.

infidelpride on November 5, 2008 at 6:40 PM

One of the Newsweek hits on Palin is that she went off script on Ayers and brought him up before the campaign was ready to bring him up. Marc Ambinder first reported this a couple of weeks ago on his blog over at Atlantic. But Randy Scheunemann (McCain’s chief foreign policy adviser) specifically refuted that in an “on the record” email to Marc in response to his post that the Ayers speech hadn’t been cleared through HQ. Scheunemann said, “Just read your post. This is on the record. This is cleared by HQ. It is a fact that Barack Obama was palling around with terrorists. It was a fact before Governor Palin said it in a fully vetted speech and it is fact today. It is bullshit to claim or write anything else.”

Guess we’ll see if he sticks up for Palin now or not.

meltenn on November 5, 2008 at 6:40 PM

For appearances sake if nothing else, I wouldn’t favor a self-appointment by Palin if Stevens gets booted or resigns, but why shouldn’t she appoint a worthy Republican and then stand for the seat herself when the special election rolls around? If successful, she could then claim gubernatorial AND senatorial experience by 2012, having taken high profile positions on national energy policy, for example, in the U.S. Senate in the meantime.

So positioned, I’m guessing the most dangerous place in D.C. would remain the space between a camera and a senator, but no longer because of the fleet-footed Chuckie Schumer. Pity the poor schmuck loitering in the path of the alphabets’ eager lensmen and a Senator Palin.

Barnestormer on November 5, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Embrace bipartisanship.

Yes – afterall, it worked so well for McCain. The bottom line here is that liberal & atheist “Republicans” will be set on high PDS forever, like the Dems. To be more correct, it should be “J-CDS”; Judeo-Christian Derangement Syndrome. As someone once said – if Palin were to walk on water they would denounce her for “not being able to swim.”

whatcat on November 5, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Without Sarah Palin I would not have bothered voting for Mr Amnesty himself. Go Sarah.

Dennis D on November 5, 2008 at 6:50 PM

Crux Australis on November 5, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Are you serious? That is her strongest point! It is her very essence. She would not be Sarah if not for it. It is what makes her ‘good’ on everything else. Because she values LIFE!

I LOVE HER just as she is!

The only thing that needs to ‘change’ is she needs to study up on World affairs. That and somehow we need to defend her better against the horrific media attacks. I don’t know how, but we do.

This is assuming she ever wants to put herself through this sort of nightmare again. But she is a fighter and she VALUES LIFE, so she just might.

If she does, I’m with you, Sarah!

pannw on November 5, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Sarah is a professional politician. She understands that her speeches have to be cleared by the campaign or John McCain. This doesn’t mean she doesn’t have her say on what should be included in the text. In the real world this is considered give and take, in politics being a diva or a rogue. When she appears on stage she knows what she is expected to say; that she always agrees with everything that she says in a speech (the greed of Wall Street causing the sub-prime mess rather than stating it was the Democrats who caused it) that is another matter.

technopeasant on November 5, 2008 at 6:52 PM

The left is talking unity now? After 8 years of vile attacks? After calling President Bush everything from a Nazi to a genocidal maniac who tried to kill Blacks in New Orleans on purpose? We need a Chuck Schumer type to spin every issue against Obama without delay each and everyday. ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK. Never let up.

Dennis D on November 5, 2008 at 6:52 PM

That’s my girl: gracious to Obama and above the sniping.

Here’s hoping she stays out of it, and they all end up looking like fools and jerks.

meltenn on November 5, 2008 at 6:53 PM

Bipartiship my A–. We need conservative principles! Obama just named Rahm Emanuel chief of staff. You think Dems care about bipartisanship? IT’S ABOUT WINNING. George Will, Peggy Noonan, Kathleen Parker, Powell are losers and that is their dish and who is the biggest bipartisan? John McCain who just had his hat handed to him by a guy that ran on conservative issues, tax cuts, second amendments rights, etc. Wake up Dummies—LET SARAH BE SARAH!!!

GO SARAH!!!

Herb on November 5, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Good leaders are good followers first.

Bradky on November 5, 2008 at 6:59 PM

She isn’t getting any higher office. McCain aides are leaking that she didn’t know Africa was a continent or what countries were in Nafta.

Speedwagon82 on November 5, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Lol…. Making stuff up

Palinpuma on November 5, 2008 at 7:12 PM

She isn’t getting any higher office.

Wanna bet?
BO didn’t “know” about Rev. Wright’s hate speeches, even after being a member of his church for 20 years. Didn’t “know” that Bill Ayers was a domestic terrorist. Didn’t “know” that his daar ol’ Auntie was living – illegally – in squalor in Boston.

It ain’t what you know – it’s what you do with what you DO know. Ya know?

Go Sara Go!!!

uncivilized on November 5, 2008 at 7:17 PM

I’m pretty new here, and this is a serious question:

Is it OK on this forum to talk about social conservatives splitting from the Republican Party and forming their own?

If it is, I have a few things that I’d like to talk about.

Venusian Visitor on November 5, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Even if it’s true that Palin was that unprepared or is that dumb/ignorant, shouldn’t the campaign have vetted her enough to know that before they picked her? In fact shouldn’t they have known everything she knows about domestic and foreign policy and her feelings on all of it? Shouldn’t they have reviewed her college transcripts or given her an IQ test? Shouldn’t the aides who are leaking stuff about her have known everything there is to know about her; including if she misplaced Africa on a map today or back in second grade? It’s not like they didn’t have time to review all the possible VP candidates.

meltenn on November 5, 2008 at 7:26 PM

It was the social cons who thought anyone gave a crap about Ayers and Wright while the country is in financial meltdown mode and terrorism is still a concern.

Speedwagon82 on November 5, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Speedwagon, If Terriosim was still a concern in the american people’s minds, Mr.Fraud wouldn’t be president elect right now.

Palinpuma on November 5, 2008 at 7:30 PM

They ought to give a crap, Speedwagon82, it’s all connected. Financial meltdown/Ayers/Socialism/Wright/race entitlements and reparations/Ayers/terrorism.

Wow.

Venusian Visitor on November 5, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Palin helped McCain…

The problem McCain had was that he “reached across the isle”. There are serious ideological differences between the Right Republicans and the wrong (aka left) democrooks.

Palin and Jeri Thompson in 2012!

The media wants us to do the wrong things, they’re lying about people not voting for McCain because of Palin, or the people are lying.

McCain lost because he is stuck in 1960 politics when it wasn’t polarized like it is now. McCain lost because he thought he’d get Bush states without Bush! McCain lost because he wasn’t right enough! Republicans didn’t show up! I know so many Republicans that DID NOT VOTE because they hate McCain.

Get Right and we’ll win.

God save the babies.

ironmonk on November 5, 2008 at 7:32 PM

This just in on Shepard Smith’s Fox Report…Carl Cameron reported that Sarah Palin didn’t know the countries that form NAFTA and she didn’t know Africa was a Continent. She refused to prepare for the Katie Couric interview and she thought she was smart enough to wing it.
When did the GOP become the party of the dunderheads?

jacobnyc on November 5, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Careful there, pocky, we’ve been through the religious vs political fight before, and the religious party you seem to envision would be nothing if not marginal.

trailboss on November 5, 2008 at 4:39 PM

I must respectfully disagree. I… I, uh, (gulp) cannot follow down that trail. With each generation American culture becomes ever more corrupt. This coincides with a nation that with each generation has abandoned it’s Christian heritage. A coincidence? No. A nation that forgets God is a nation that goes under. The sooner America (or any other nation) realizes this the sooner God will heal their land. This is not religion vs politics, this is just stating fact. Thank you. Have a nice evening.

apacalyps on November 5, 2008 at 7:39 PM

McCain was done Feb 5. He was democrat lite.

HornetSting on November 5, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Exactly. Our choice this election was between two wings of the Democrat Party – the Far Left and the Moderate. I voted for the Moderate rather than the Marxist. My strategy: I have let the RNC know that they will not receive another dime from me until there has been a leadership change – at the top of the RNC and in Congress. I want someone to stand on the principles of conservatism. I plan on bugging the hell out of my representatives in Congress after Barack OJesus ascends into Heaven assumes office.

Proud Texan on November 5, 2008 at 7:41 PM

I would donate the maximum amount and go door to door for her if when she runs for President of the United States.

Zorro on November 5, 2008 at 8:18 PM

Me, too, Zorro.

She was stabbed in the back by the beltway elite RINOS. I wouldn’t blame her if she never set foot on the national stage again. It would be no loss to her; she *has* a life.

Venusian Visitor on November 5, 2008 at 8:46 PM

Go to the center? Isn’t that what McCain did? Or do I need to read the whole post?

multiuseless on November 5, 2008 at 9:33 PM

Centrists aren’t necessarily holding out for centrism. They are waiting to be persuaded.

james23 on November 5, 2008 at 5:14 PM

I quote this for the truth contained within. I’m not sure that any Republican could’ve won this particular election with all the baggage that simply being a Republican carried with it. But come 2012, Bambi will have an actual record — with actual consequences — that will be impossible to hide. You can’t vote “Present” when you’re the President. That record will almost certainly not appeal to a vast number of “centrists”, and as such, running as a “bi-partisan” conservative will do nothing but let him off the hook.

holygoat on November 5, 2008 at 9:35 PM

My one piece of advice for Sarah Palin would be to go back to Alaska and use her position to demonstrate how a few conservative Republican programs can help Alaska — these are the kinds of actual accomplishments you can run for President on.

A few ideas-

1) She’s spoken about school vouchers for special needs children. This is something she should push for in Alaska, and make it work.

This is a brilliant idea. It is hard for anyone to vote against; it locks in one of her constituencies; it is a foot in the door for broader voucher programs; and it completely undercuts the usual liberal argument against vouchers (that only the expensive special-needs kids will stay behind in the public schools).

2) She should continue to lobby for drilling in ANWR — stage a “destination” press conference there. If no one shows up, take some bloggers, and video cameras. YouTube it — introduce the public to the lifeless wasteland the libs are defending from exploitation. Then take the group to some of the modern wells on the North Slope, and show how little environmental impact they are having on the local wildlife. Finally, cut a series of 30-second ads from these.

3) Pick one really, really unpopular and anti-conservative policy of Obama’s and become the spokesperson for the fight against it.

——————-

Meanwhile…

I’d still like to see McCain’s experience with ACORN and mass voter fraud convert him to a clean-election zealot. I’d like to see him throw all his remaining political capital into a bipartisan electoral reform bill with some teeth. (In my fantasy, it’s the McCain-Clinton Electoral Reform Act of 2009…)

ClintACK on November 5, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Speedwagon82 on November 5, 2008 at 7:09 PM

I call utter bullshit on this. If any aides wants to make that claim, make it public. This anonymous leaking is a whole load of crap. McCain’s aides are right now scrambling to find the fallguy to blame the debacle on in order to preserve their future pathetic jobs. Well, who do they choose? Palin’s an outsider with very few friends among the East Coast establishment and little power to damage those seeking to undermine her. She’s going back to frigid Alaska for crissake. That’s like a million miles away. Throwing her under the bus is a nobrainer for the scum that leaked this story.

True? You think they leaked this story because they wanted to tell the world their story? Bullshit.

PackerBronco on November 5, 2008 at 10:11 PM

She’s the BEST.

The media savaged her and they deserve their asses kicked.

Domino on November 5, 2008 at 10:41 PM

Sarah is a governor of a state. She negotiated a $40B gas pipeline. She was on the campaign trail for 2 months. She gave a wonderful convention speech and beat Joe Biden in her debate; the last three weeks she was hitting her stride and was magnificent. To imply that Sarah is a moron does not compute.

technopeasant on November 5, 2008 at 10:47 PM

Kudos to Sarah. She brought energy and life to the campaign. I didn’t vote for McCain in the primary and was set to vote third party until she came along. I’m sure she brought in more votes for old Mac then she lost.

kas on November 5, 2008 at 11:18 PM

If Sarah wasn’t on the ticket I would not have voted for Juan McCain. McCain can thank her for at least my vote.

Dollayo on November 5, 2008 at 11:52 PM

Exit question poll:

Letting NBC choose our 2012 nominee probably isn’t a good idea.

Mr. Wednesday Night on November 5, 2008 at 11:57 PM

Greta’s PISSED about all of this, too! She’s had enough, and even calls FNC out for their coverage of it. See two videos here.

MsUnderestimated on November 6, 2008 at 3:48 AM

Good Grief!
Why don’t all the Palin defenders go ahead and start typing Palin! whenever referring to her. Talk about acting like someone is the Messiah… sheesh.
“She doesn’t know Africa is a continent because she is so awesome and smoking hot in a skirt that she operates on another plane of intelligence where things like that kind of knowledge are beneath her.”… Yeaaaah put down the pipe and step away from the voting booth.
You wouldn’t and shouldn’t give the Dem candidates a break on something like this but the “true conservatives” must convince everyone this is wrong to do to Palin.
Hypocrisy by any other name….

Bradky on November 6, 2008 at 5:07 AM

The way forward, as I see it: Embrace bipartisanship

I barfed all over my keyboard. HAVE YOU LEARNED NOTHING? For the love of all that is sacred, NO! Embrace conservatism. Sarah has an amazing power to show the world that our principles are freedom and honest hard work and belief in human dignity (not oil and war, or whatever it is they think we want).
Sarah will be a symbol of hope and change freedom and dignity for the 3 billion women of this world, in much the same way that Barry became a cult of personality. The way to win is to build her brand and take her viral. People with video and Photoshop skills, get to work! Create a network of Sarah blogs (Mine is sarahPOTUS.com), build the new feminism by writing about extraordinary women, go to country music concerts and get emotional with fellow believers. Wear a t-shirt with her face on it. Repeat, remind, reinforce until Sarah 2012 becomes an undeniable force of history.
NO MORE reaching across the AISLE.

joe_doufu on November 6, 2008 at 5:33 AM

By the way, I also think that the “____ the ____” meme is going to be a big one for us. I’m Joe the Grad Student. It sends a strong and very American message. We are what we do. It reminds us to be proud of what we do, or if we aren’t proud, makes us want to do something better. Nobody wants to look themself in the mirror and be Keith the Jackass.

joe_doufu on November 6, 2008 at 5:43 AM

When did the GOP become the party of the dunderheads?

Do you really believe this? Can’t you see that there are political forces that will stop at nothing to destroy her? She fought BOTH parties. All Joe the plumber did was ask a question and was shredded. Palin did alot more than ask a question. She challenged Washington DC. Wake Up.

Furthermore,

THERE ARE SEVERAL PICTURES OF CINDY MCCAIN PARADING AROUND IN A BATHROBE IN MIXED COMPANY ON MEGAN MCCAIN’S WEB SITE.

One of the captions reads “Here’s one showing a little leg”.

So how is this differne than palin answering a door in a bath robe, even if that did happen.

I have never in my life she so many shots taken at one person in my life.

You are the dunderhead!

Geochelone on November 6, 2008 at 8:17 AM

I wonder if the delicate McCain staffers upset at seeing Palin in bathrobe/towel were as aghast at the photos on Meghan McCain’s blog of Cindy McCain in her – gasp! – bathrobe.

[Michelle Malkin]

Geochelone on November 6, 2008 at 8:21 AM

NO MORE reaching across the AISLE.

joe_doufu on November 6, 2008 at 5:33 AM

. . . unless its to slap the crap out of one of them.

FIFY

Proud Texan on November 6, 2008 at 8:28 AM

Good Grief!
Hypocrisy by any other name….

Bradky on November 6, 2008 at 5:07 AM

If you actually believe anonymous media rumors like this, them you oughta step away from the pipe yourself. Sarah Palin was smacked down because she was a pro-life Christian populist. Her popularity and ability to connect are so dangerous to potential political opponents that they have from the beginning attempted to destroy her with outrageous lies and insinuations. She continues to be smacked down by some Republicans simply to allow some slick male candidate with good hair a chance at the 2012 nomination.

I’ve gotten used to attacks from the atheist left but the continuation of these attacks by card-carrying Republicans is so enraging that, if someone comes up with a social conservative third-party that might have legs, I’m ready to go. I don’t want to belong to a party dominated by country-club atheists who look down their long noses at people like Sarah Palin – and me.

Venusian Visitor on November 6, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Bradky Bradky Bradky…..*talk-to-the-hand and getting in-your-face attitude* I am gonna see if evolving to the same tactics that the O asked of his followers, is gonna work for ya.

Hell to the NO to gather round and have tea, Dem hypocrites! My girl has been put to horrible rumors, insults, ridiculed as soon as her name was mentioned for VP. And still she is happily back home and has to endure crap, not only from the Dems but from the backstabbers in her own party. ENOUGH ALREADY!

I am sorry to inform you, she’s got on one pinky the class, attitude and EXPERIENCE to run a state AND a country; to make it worse for y’all she’s got NOTHING to hide than the Obamamessiah! He Who Is So Selfish is to me nothing but a potential AC that will bring this country down. You can kiss this superpower goodbye (and call me “racist” because that would be the next insult in the book for those that oppose “His Nothingness”).

Don’t know ’bout you, but I have major issues about this person that is gonna run this country starting next year. This is the first time (in my adult life/sarc) that a politician really creeps the heck out of me! He is as friendly and warm as a hailstorm. I have met many politicians, especially close to election time. Even though the MSM rips them apart, they keep their cool, are thick-skinned and are not obsessed on opposing comments.

And don’t get me started on the innuendos that got me really tired, upset, powerless because I cannot grab some necks and shake ‘em. It is utterly embarrassing that to climb to the top, you’ve got to throw mud to the one that’s already there! WORK YOUR WAY UP PEOPLE! Whatever happened to confidentiality agreements? You’d think that in order to assist and serve in whatever she needs as a VP candidate that aside all the security provided, that there is no enforcement of such documentation–and if you dare so–pay a heavy fine. Of course being these candidates part of history in one way or another, the dates that these should be enforced should be lenghty.

She is a natural, innate leader I will follow her in a snap. Got the talent, skills, experience, family attitude and confidence that millions wish they had. It is very easy to make a woman a bimbo. As a brunette, that “blonde” trick did not stick. And as for Carl Cameron, shame on you for spreading these rumours that speak of TMZ.com instead of a “fair and balanced” news; leave the gossips to pop culture.

I am scaling down my TV watchtime for sure; to me blogs and radio are what is left. But you can be sure I will stand with this woman and support her in any decision she makes. I did my part, sent her an email to show my thanks and support, and let’s see how the military embraces the NWO leader. Can’t wait for a military poll about their new president.

In the meantime, I will sit pretty here, waiting for our mortgage payments to be paid, gas tanks full, incredible health care coverage due to multiple ailments I have and since he is gonna take care of me as millions of Americans will be taken care of (to the expense of Streisand, Oprah,
Trump and Bill Gates thankyouverymuch), I also demand a maid, a nanny and when I decide to go for a Master’s or get a new BA, He That Is So Selfish pays me every single cent of my continued education. /part sarc.

ProudPalinFan on November 6, 2008 at 11:04 PM