Nader: Will Obama be an Uncle Tom?

posted at 3:30 pm on November 5, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

This doesn’t exactly qualify as a shocking statement any more from the self-appointed Arbiter of Black Authenticity, but at least last time, Ralph Nader didn’t utter the phrase “Uncle Tom”. When Shepherd Smith scolds him for using the race-baiting term, Nader tries playing the victim by calling Smith a “bully”:

I don’t blame Shep for going after Nader on this point. Had anyone else used that derogatory term on Fox, there would have been a hailstorm of recrimination. Barack Obama hasn’t even taken office yet, and Nader is already accusing him of sucking up to The Man … even though Obama is technically now The Man himself, or will be in 76 days or so.

Shouldn’t this come from Harry Belafonte?

Comments

I don’t blame Shep for going after Nader on this point.

Personally, I don’t pass on any chance to trash Smith. He’s an smug liberal whiner whose hatred of the Bush administration is so biased that he should be fired from journalism. He’s one boob job away from being Greta or Geraldo.

highhopes on November 5, 2008 at 3:35 PM

And if he hadn’t gone after Nader, it would have just been a tacit approval of the term… yadda yadda.

Abby Adams on November 5, 2008 at 3:35 PM

“Uncle Tom” is an insult reserved for conservative blacks, for example Clarance Thomas was called an “Uncle Tom” by the left. Obama is a full blown Commie, he is no “Uncle Tom,” he’s everything lefties love.

Maxx on November 5, 2008 at 3:36 PM

If you kick them out of your house, you keep them out of your head.

mymanpotsandpans on November 5, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Wow, his left eye is going CRAZY!

leetpriest on November 5, 2008 at 3:39 PM

barack obama deserves every negative thought directed at him from last night until his final day in office. and nothing less.

Nuge em on November 5, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Nader is, to elections, like having to choose between Jessica Alba, Amy Adams, and Roseanne Barr: ugly and unnecessary.

AubieJon on November 5, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Nader needs to retire.

lexhamfox on November 5, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Shep is a wet end. Nader is a fool. No use for either.
Kirsten Powers..Pull your thong out. Uch.

HornetSting on November 5, 2008 at 3:40 PM

I was wondering when this term would come up. If Obambi were a Pub, he’d be called an Uncle Tom everyday, a wannabe, a snowflake, etc.

This man was elected because of his race, we did what Dr. King urged us not to do, we judged him by the color of his skin instead of the content of his character. And it WILL come back to haunt us.

Tony737 on November 5, 2008 at 3:40 PM

AAAAHHHHHAA! Here we go. Keep talking, white liberal idiots.

Brat on November 5, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Nader is a long time fraud, as I detail here:

fivefeetoffury on November 5, 2008 at 3:41 PM

You said “Uncle Tom”

I swear, more often than not, Shep sounds like a parent scolding children.

Wake up, pal. You’re in no position of authority. You’re a self-obsessed gigolo, nothing more.

MadisonConservative on November 5, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Tony737 on November 5, 2008 at 3:40 PM

97% for Obama.
If that was the white vote, racist. I will not be silenced. I don’t buy into the whole, “tell the truth, shame the devil, and you are racist”.

HornetSting on November 5, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Qhy do we continue to humor that guy? He’s freakin’ irrelevent. He would be best served crawling back into a hole for another four years.

flyawaybird on November 5, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Way to stay classy, Nader. How can Dear Leader be an Uncle Tom if he owns the plantation mansion?

wonders at himself for defending Dear Leader

rbj on November 5, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Yeah, I would expect that shiite from Belafonte.

Geronimo on November 5, 2008 at 3:42 PM

The look on Shep’s face when Nader called him a bully, by the way, was worth a million bucks. Pure enjoyment.

MadisonConservative on November 5, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Maxx on November 5, 2008 at 3:36 PM

I was just thinking last night that I need to start a countdown for when all those blacks who feel he’s gonna make everything “right” starting calling him that. You know it’s coming. Once that gravy train dries up, you watch.

They’re in my family.

Dubn8tr on November 5, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Classy, like all the Dems and Repubs who “stay classy” in their comments regarding Nader?

Christien on November 5, 2008 at 3:43 PM

oh, and just for the record, i am a gay man. and by me just me looking at him, i can tell you that Shep is gay as well. trust me.

Nuge em on November 5, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Shep is a wet end. Nader is a fool. No use for either.
Kirsten Powers..Pull your thong out. Uch.

HornetSting on November 5, 2008 at 3:40 PM

I agree on both of them!

sheebe on November 5, 2008 at 3:45 PM

If Obambi were a Pub, our Black Voters would reject him for:

Talking white

Acting white

Dressing white

Having a white education

Having a white job

Being half white

Being raised by white grandparents

etc etc

Tony737 on November 5, 2008 at 3:45 PM

I’ve been saying this for weeks.

Obama can not possibly meet expectations. I predict within a year and a half the first black left wingnut makes the first Uncle Tom charge.

mylegsareswollen on November 5, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Uncle Tom was not used in terms of skin color. Shep should be ashamed of himself, but being the Obama shill that we know he is, we shouldn’t be surprised that he would play the race card.

That is a preview of the next four years.

Uncle Tom = Toady. It was clear and any other reading of the comment is an exercise in intellectual dishonesty.

csdeven on November 5, 2008 at 3:46 PM

i can tell you that Shep is gay as well – Nuge

HAHA is your gaydar beeping? haha

Tony737 on November 5, 2008 at 3:46 PM

Once that gravy train dries up, you watch.

It pulled out of the station last night, sans gravy.

fogw on November 5, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Tony737 on November 5, 2008 at 3:40 PM

+1000000000
Exactly my thinking these past few weeks.

dglenn on November 5, 2008 at 3:49 PM

my gaydar is off the charts looking at miss Shep. trust and believe!!!!!!!

Nuge em on November 5, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Shep….deer in the headlight look!!! priceless!

grapeknutz on November 5, 2008 at 3:49 PM

BTW, speaking of wet ends. Where is Geraldo? Passed out in a gutter outside a pink house in Venice Beach, anyone? Where’s Geraldo? Will he stay in that gutter for the love of all that is holy?

HornetSting on November 5, 2008 at 3:50 PM

97% for Obama.
If that was the white vote, racist
– Hornet

Oh my gawd, can you imagine if McDole got 97% of the white vote? The media would be all over it! But, the Dem always gets about 90% of the black vote anyway.

Tony737 on November 5, 2008 at 3:50 PM

MadisonConservative on November 5, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Or maybe this look?

AubieJon on November 5, 2008 at 3:51 PM

BTW, Hornet, are you an F-18 pilot?

Tony737 on November 5, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Maxx on November 5, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Colin Powell was on that list too until he sold out the party that made his career. But alas, he is Uncle Thomas no mo.

JeffinOrlando on November 5, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Off-topic, but han anyone watched The View since the coronation?

Go ahead! I double dog dare you!

pseudonominus on November 5, 2008 at 3:52 PM

97% for Obama.
If that was the white vote, racist – Hornet

Tony737 on November 5, 2008 at 3:50 PM

We’d all have to go and buy pointy hoods to hide the color of our skin. RACIST!
Yeah, fools. And that’s all I have to say about that…

HornetSting on November 5, 2008 at 3:52 PM

BTW, Hornet, are you an F-18 pilot?

Tony737 on November 5, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Many have asked….no, just the description of my home. A hornetnest. I am the queen bee, uh, hornet.

HornetSting on November 5, 2008 at 3:53 PM

JeffinOrlando on November 5, 2008 at 3:51 PM

I thought the ultimate insult was being called an “Oreo”.

HornetSting on November 5, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Off-topic, but han anyone watched The View since the coronation?

Go ahead! I double dog dare you!

pseudonominus on November 5, 2008 at 3:52 PM

I don’t have enough vomit left in my stomach to stomach that.

HornetSting on November 5, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Oh, you’re a hornETTE! Got it! Well make sure you sting the little ones when they need it or else they grow up to be liberals! haha

Tony737 on November 5, 2008 at 3:55 PM

And just where does Ralph the Nader get HIS money???

gary on November 5, 2008 at 3:56 PM

sadly, i did watch the view. whoppi was beside her self when the show started, and then Sherry had an emotional breakdown because NOW…..NOW, after barack wins, black people can do and achieve A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G. according to Sherry, blacks have been so held down before this. but now, all that is gone.

AND I’M SURE SHERRY ALSO BROKE DOWN BECAUSE NOW SHE HAS A PRESIDENT THAT IS RIGHT ALONG SIDE HER REGARDING THE FACT THAT SHE HAS HAD MORE ABORTIONS THAN SHE WOULD LIKE TO COUNT!

Nuge em on November 5, 2008 at 3:56 PM

I thought the ultimate insult was being called an “Oreo”. – Hornet

I will teach my bi-racial daughter when she’s old enough that if anybody calls you Oreo, you just smile and say Thank you.

Tony737 on November 5, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Nader apparently doesn’t understand the nuance that Uncle Tom is a slur reserved for the purveyors of the Black victimology scam run chiefly by the Revs. Only they and their acolytes are allowed to hurl the term at more intelligent Blacks, usually conservative, so as to prevent the masses of high school dropouts from getting a clue.

Ralph has turned into a corvair.

patrick neid on November 5, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Shep Smith was right to bring it up, but…sheesh, enough with the feigned shock, dude. Nader’s a freak, always has been.

Shep Smith (FOX) = Rick Sanchez (CNN)

Both are arrogant blowhards.

Matticus Finch on November 5, 2008 at 3:59 PM

A little lacking in class, but, how do you tell that to someone who thinks he is a reformer on a mission from God? He should know that Washington can only handle one Messiah at a time….

DL13 on November 5, 2008 at 4:00 PM

NOW, after barack wins, black people can do and achieve A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G. – Nuge

Right, Sherry, because before yesterday, black people couldn’t do ANYthing unless the govt did it for them … right? Gawd I hate that attitude.

Tony737 on November 5, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Nader did as about as expected, huh. Heartache. So Bob Barr got 20% of the vote, right? Nuance!

wise_man on November 5, 2008 at 4:01 PM

Go ahead! I double dog dare you!

pseudonominus on November 5, 2008 at 3:52 PM

I’ll bet you were one of those little boys who pulled the wings off of insects. Cruel, just…..cruel.

BacaDog on November 5, 2008 at 4:03 PM

I can honestly say I don’t like either one of these men. Shep is a jerk and Nader is Nader.

Terrye on November 5, 2008 at 4:04 PM

When will these geriatric hippies go away for good?

At least none of them will be President. So we have that going for us.

NoDonkey on November 5, 2008 at 4:05 PM

i will also point out that Sherry probably did more crying over barack obama today than she ever had done over the innocent babies she had ripped out of her womb. to those innocent babies, it was a casual “i’ve had more abortions than i’d like to count.” all this crying from a pig who makes god knows how much on the view, let alone all the exposure she gets from it. and elisabeth just sits there and swallows it all. i’m sure Fox would hire her.

Nuge em on November 5, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Why does Smith get to police the liberal plantation? The crime was to call a *Democrat* politician an Uncle Tom.

Fortunata on November 5, 2008 at 4:05 PM

“Shepherd Smith nabbed for fighting over a parking space.”

Looks like he still had his mascara on, he looks more effeminate than usual in this photo.

NoDonkey on November 5, 2008 at 4:06 PM

If Obama doesn’t pay to fill up black’s gas tanks, or pay their mortgage bills, or fulfill their needs as they think he should, they will start calling him an “uncle Tom.”

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Star20 on November 5, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Obama isn’t Black, he is Bi-Racial. To be classified as Black, we go back to the days when a Black man was counted as only a fraction (1/5).

PappaMac on November 5, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Ralph knows exactly what he’s doing bluntly using the lexicon of the left to subvert the dominant paradigm.

Christien on November 5, 2008 at 4:08 PM

rbj on November 5, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Oh I dunno, those hundreds of millions came from somewhere, and it wasn’t just Susie and Jim.

SlimyBill on November 5, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Uncle Same or Uncle Tom?

Hell, I’m trying to figure out if he’s going to be a Uncle Joe or an Uncle Adolf.

Ampleforth on November 5, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Tony737 on November 5, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Don’t have any little hornets, but my dog bites liberals, my cat scratches and hisses at liberals, my bird poops on liberals, and my fish, well, he’s mean but we all fear he is a closet liberal. :)

HornetSting on November 5, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Now now….we all know that The One is an Oreo. My god, the man eats Arugala.

Full Disclosure: I don’t have a clue what Arugala is, and I wouldn’t eat it anyway. Sounds a bit…Cosmopolitan.

BobMbx on November 5, 2008 at 4:11 PM

I thought the ultimate insult was being called an “Oreo”. – Hornet

Tony737 on November 5, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Heck, I’m bi-racial myself, German, Irish, Mexican, Spanish, with a little Indian in there. My husband wonders why he married me everyday. Temper Temper. But, I am American first and damn proud of it.

HornetSting on November 5, 2008 at 4:13 PM

PappaMac on November 5, 2008 at 4:07 PM

3/5s.

BobMbx on November 5, 2008 at 4:13 PM

3/5s.

BobMbx on November 5, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Ouch.

HornetSting on November 5, 2008 at 4:15 PM

PappaMac on November 5, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Most likely most of the celebrities we know as back are in fact mixed race, though not perhaps as cleanly cut as an African father and Caucasian mother.

Count to 10 on November 5, 2008 at 4:16 PM

It’s a fair question, if you don’t consider the source.

chiefeditor on November 5, 2008 at 4:01 PM

I agree. Check it out:

SlimyBill on November 5, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Obama’s a communist. Nader’s a loser. Shep’s a tool. Their skin tones mean nothing to me.

patriette on November 5, 2008 at 4:19 PM

People seem to be in better spirits so I thought I’d just toss this in for shits ‘n giggles:

Know who’s really, really happy today?
John Conyers

SlimyBill on November 5, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Did I read this right?

Obama is sucking himself?

DaveC on November 5, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Who cares! Uncle Tom,Uncle Tom,Uncle Tom!! The last time I recall hearing that word it was about Colin L. Powell!!…Anyone remember freedom of speech,that’s his opinion, so be it! This P.C crap is the reason obama was elected in the first place.

christene on November 5, 2008 at 4:20 PM

But, I am American first and damn proud of it. – Horney

As it should be!

Tony737 on November 5, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Obambi is going to make all the problems of the blacks disappear.
Why I bet this morning they all woke up to find their car filled with gas, all their bills paid and just outside a chaingang of white dudes picking up trash.

dinkyjackson on November 5, 2008 at 4:24 PM

OOOOPS! That should say Hornet, not Horney! Ha! Fruedian slip! I’ll just call ya Stinger from now on! :-)

Tony737 on November 5, 2008 at 4:26 PM

HornetSting on November 5, 2008 at 4:11 PM

My fish is mean too! But he’s definitely conservative. He eats some of the food I give him and hides the rest in his tank for a rainy day. Good fish (though it does make the tank a heck of a lot dirtier).

JadeNYU on November 5, 2008 at 4:28 PM

Well, I for one am glad that countrys like Japan, Germany, France, England, the Middle East, etc…are ecstatic that the US has finally elected someone who is of a different race than all the previous presidents. After all, we remember the black PM of England…no, wait..oh yeah,..the Non-Japanese PM in Tokyo…no…uh…the former Algerian immigrant Pres. of Germany?…..now I remember..it was the Mrs. King of Saudi Arabia…

Can it be true the world is now congratulating us on finally achieving a milestone that none of them have?

BobMbx on November 5, 2008 at 4:34 PM

What percentage of whites voted for Jesse Jackson? How long ago was that? Enjoy.

The Race Card on November 5, 2008 at 4:37 PM

What percentage of blacks voted for Jesse Jackson?

How then can anyone determine all blacks to be racist voters when they have only had two viable presidential elections during which to vote for a black candidate? (Alan Keyes the constant candidate notwithstanding.)
***

If the vast majority of blacks are racist, what are you going to do about it? Be honest; this should be good.

The Race Card on November 5, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Count to 10 on November 5, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Not just the celebrities. Eighty percent of black
Americans are mixed race, not counting recent African immigrants.

About Nader: white Leftists think they own black people and can, therefore, treat them in any manner.

baldilocks on November 5, 2008 at 4:56 PM

I’ve been saying this for weeks.

mylegsareswollen on November 5, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Any bets that it’ll be Jesse foot-in-mouth Jackson Sr? After all, he threatened to cut Obama’s nuts off.

UltimateBob on November 5, 2008 at 5:05 PM

So it begins.

This is a part of the left’s effort to make sure that Obama doesn’t actually move to the center.

This should be fun to watch.

Guaranteed: He will fail the Left in some way.

And the Left only knows one way to express disagreement with a President.

I’ve got a big bowl of popcorn all ready.

ClintACK on November 5, 2008 at 5:14 PM

This will be a fight I will be glad to be on the sidelines for. There is no way Obama can meet expectations. That is sad really. I wish the first Black President was someone I could really get behind and support.

But I repeat there is no way Obama can meet expectations. Because afterall he really isn’t a deity.

petunia on November 5, 2008 at 5:18 PM

HornetSting on November 5, 2008 at 4:11 PM

JadeNYU on November 5, 2008 at 4:28 PM

Sorry, got caught up on the last thread.
My fish looks for more and more. He is messy and he doesn’t clean up after himself. I swear I saw an Obama sign stuck in his gravel. I threatened to make him sushi if he didn’t toe the line.

HornetSting on November 5, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Kirsten Powers..Pull your thong out. Uch.

HornetSting on November 5, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Wait. Where’s the visuals on this?

cryptojunkie on November 5, 2008 at 5:26 PM

I thought Nader became irrelevant when he talked to the parrot…

fitzsweetpea on November 5, 2008 at 6:04 PM

uncle tom nah uncle joe yeah and he has a butt load of useful idiots to use.

Mojack420 on November 5, 2008 at 6:13 PM

If “Uncle Tom” means a black man who doesn’t push the radical Jeremiah Wright agenda, Obama could do the country a favor and be an Uncle Tom.

Steve Z on November 5, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Too bad Shep didn’t have him on for a few more minutes, so Ralph could say that Rahm Emmanuel’s selection as chief of staff means Obama’s controlled by the Jews (though I suppose they can just have him back on tomorrow to say that).

jon1979 on November 5, 2008 at 8:21 PM

highhopes on November 5, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Mega Dittos.

Shep is such a phoney. Next he’ll try to look shocked if asked if he ever uttered a racist comment at some point in his life. What a tool . . . belt.

Texyank on November 5, 2008 at 9:27 PM