Video: Presidential candidates on MNF

posted at 7:05 am on November 4, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The last look at the two presidential candidates before the election came, strangely, during halftime in last night’s Monday Night Football game between the Steelers and the Redskins. Chris Berman asked each candidate a few softballs in what should have been a palate cleanser for a tired nation. John McCain gave a sparkling, upbeat performance, while Obama stumbled through most of it:

This was a revelation for me. I finally found a policy on which I agree with Obama. College football should have a playoff system — and in fact, the lower divisions already do. Obama could barely get through the explanation, though, and I wonder whether he had already found out about his grandmother’s death when he did the interview. I’m assuming yes; Obama usually does much better with light conversation than this.

But McCain did much better. He seemed relaxed and confident, and knew enough of the tone of the event to tease Berman by stealing his line. “He could — go — all — the — way … to the White House!” If anyone had to pick from this appearance which candidate expected to win, it would be McCain.

Comments

AMERICA,

Today, all across the fruited plains, Americans are preparing to cast a vote for AMERICAS PAST, IT’S PRESENT and IT’S FUTURE… Men and Women, of every race, every social background, every economic status… They will do thier duty, to honor all those who have given us the ability to participate in this “MOST BEAUTIFUL EXPERIMENT”, this land that GOD has blessed with bounty from Sea to shining Sea… My friends, today we pray, we gerd our loins for the battle of our time, our Getteysburg, our Iwo Jima, our Battle of the Buldge… It is OUR TURN! It is OUR TIME! We MUST NOT FAIL to protect and defend the Constitution, the Bill of Rights! To protect our families, our friends, our neighbors… The enemy is at the gate, our time is NOW! Stand with me and FIGHT FOR YOUR FREEDOMS as so many have done before us… Let’s drag McCain to victory for our COURTS, OUR MILITARY, OUR SCHOOLS, OUR FLAG and OUR RELIGIONS! Sleep well America, for today we battle for our very lives as Americans, it’s THAT INPORTANT! God bless our efforts, and with his will we WILL PREVAIL against the biggest challenge, the biggest THREAT of our time… Rest well America, for we are comming out by the MILLIONS TODAY to DEFEND you once again

McCain WINS! America WINS! We all WIN!

Today Ladies and Gentelmen, we are in the valley, clad in our battlegear, awaken to the day by a force from within, a purpose, a mission, battle lies ahead!

We have been joined this “MORNING IN AMERICA” by PUMA’s, Reagan Democrates, RHINO’s, Conservatives, peoples of all faiths, of all social backgrounds, of ALL races, arm in arm, shoulder to shoulder, clinging to our God, our Guns, our Flag, our Constitution!

We are looking up at a huge mountain, with a fortress of the far left radicals inside awaiting our attack. The Socilialists, protected all the way up the hill by the MSM, and with Pundits blocking our paths, the task is daunting and will require all of the effort a human can muster!

But we are bolstered by our faith, comforted by that still small voice inside… Fortified by the knowledge that from our efforts here today our children and thiers will grow up in a FREE, PROUD, STRONG AMERICA… The America of our Founders, of our Grandfathers and Fathers, of our FALLEN HEROS who gave it all for our RIGHT TO FIGHT TODAY!

Drawing comfort from our friends, family, church and our mission we march onward, “RUSH”ing up the hill, tossing aside all the Pundits, embarrasing the MSM, confronting the radicals and leaving them wondering what hit them…

VICTORY AWAITS for all those willing to lay it all on the line today! Are you ready? Will you fight? Will you vote?

IT’s MORNING IN AMERICA once again… McCain WINS!

Mark Garnett on November 4, 2008 at 7:08 AM

Can anybody just report a story and just let their readers decide anymore? EtTu, Ed? Three years into an Obama Administration and another catastrophe because President “OhNo!” asleep at the wheel: “Oh, he’s thinking back to Grandma”.

Marcus on November 4, 2008 at 7:13 AM

Maybe it was easy for me since I’m in a blue-state (NY), but I couldn’t bring myself to pull the lever for McCain this morning. Mr. Barr got this life-long-GOP’ers vote because I want the GOP to think that they might have won if they’d held on to conservative principles, rather than tacking left. And I want them to come back to conservatism in 2012, rather than trying to “catch up” with the Democrats in a sprint to the left …

But again, I’m in a blue-state, so it didn’t matter. I don’t know if it’d have been so easy to pull for Barr if I was in OH, PA, FL, VA, or any of the other 40 states McCain needs to grab…

Ludwig on November 4, 2008 at 7:16 AM

Thanks Mark Garnett! Brought a morning tear to my weary eyes. God Bless our nation, the greatest of all nations on the face of the earth. We will prevail come hell or high water.

katy on November 4, 2008 at 7:17 AM

I loved McCain’s “He – could – go – all – the – way” and “That’s why they play the game.”

Awesome.

ClintACK on November 4, 2008 at 7:18 AM

I love it! I think McCain COULD GO ALL THE WAY TO THE WHITEHOUSE!

funsutton on November 4, 2008 at 7:18 AM

Ludwig, Unfortunately it’s not about blue and red states anymore. I’m sorry to hear you did what you did because at this point in our history it’s now about the UNITED STATES OF AMWERICA!!! WILL WE SURVIVE.

katy on November 4, 2008 at 7:20 AM

oops America

katy on November 4, 2008 at 7:20 AM

Ludwig on November 4, 2008 at 7:16 AM

*** To : The “other” Ludwig’s out there, DON’T DO IT!!!

This is NOT the time for a PROTEST VOTE! America will be a RADICALY DIFFERENT PLACE by the time Conservatives could get the reigns back… DO NOT TAKE THAT RISK! Swallow your pride, your indignation about the failings of the Republicans, VOTE McCAIN! The alternative is FAR FAR TO RADICAL to imagine! Get up, Get going, GO VOTE McCAIN!

Mark Garnett on November 4, 2008 at 7:21 AM

rplat on November 4, 2008 at 7:23 AM

McCain was great! Why couldn’t he have been like this during the debates?

oddball on November 4, 2008 at 7:24 AM

Ed, concerning Obama’s grandmother, Berman states at the beginning of the clip that the interview took place before it was known she had died.

mwdiver on November 4, 2008 at 7:25 AM

rplat on November 4, 2>008 at 7:23 AM

The “United States of America” is no more.

Before you seal yourself into the bunker with 4 years worth of canned goods and 10,000 rounds of ammunition, please take the time to vote.

fluffy on November 4, 2008 at 7:26 AM

Ed, why are you making excuses for Barry?. Berman clearly stated that jug ears hadn’t been told yet? Homeboy gets a pass from all sides, damn.

redrock on November 4, 2008 at 7:31 AM

Hopefully McCain wins I sure hope his upbeat demeanor was based on some really great intel.

I’m happy to have a vote in PA and have it actually matter for once. I’m also quite happy that my 19 yo son, who would have voted for “that one” was too lazy to actually register. With a little luck there will be a ton of the youth vote, just too lazy to actually register and then vote.

Even if “that one” is elected POTUS, it won’t be the end of America. It just means that they loose the house and the senate in 2010 and he serves one term just like Carter, who won because of the county’s distaste for the other party.

crashland on November 4, 2008 at 7:31 AM

mwdiver, Obama heard about it before it was announced.

Phoenician on November 4, 2008 at 7:31 AM

I think McCain did better of the two, as well. However, having said that, I tuned in to Monday Night Football to escape Presidential Politics. It appeared to me that it was an excuse to advertise the coverage by ABC of Tuesday night politics.
Today is an important day, possibly more important than 9/11, and certainly on par with the attack on Pearl Harbor. Today, we decide on the future of the republic. It is too important to skip, or to protest vote. Today, we decide if we are Americans or Europeans. I vote for America.
Pete

PeteWilson on November 4, 2008 at 7:32 AM

God have mercy on our country.

GO MCCAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Capital Mess on November 4, 2008 at 7:33 AM

stealing his line. “He could — go — all — the — way … to the White House!”

That was Howard Cosell’s line, Howard made that famous.

And every time I listen to Obama, I obviously hear something different from the liberals.
I find Obama a “speech stumbler”, he stumbles to search for an answer (he is good at reading a monitor). I find his speech very amateur for a professional politician. I have heard hundreds of kids and adults speak better in public. He just fumbles.
Which is why he has been such a disaster when giving casual interviews, he is a Biden with more intellect.
It is going to be interesting on how (if he wins) his handlers keep him from making so many mistakes.

right2bright on November 4, 2008 at 7:36 AM

Steroids. Good answer. Mav’s light years the better man. This classless country is dead wrong. Obama will get the same level of respect from me they gave GWB.

LtE126 on November 4, 2008 at 7:40 AM

lets see, on one hand you have a great American that has lived his entire life serving America, on the other a done nothing snake oil salesman… and this country is split?…. i can not understand where my country has gone? is she asleep?

trailortrash on November 4, 2008 at 7:41 AM

The “United States of America” is no more.

The “United States of America” is no more.

My vote has already been cast and there’s no bunker for me, I’ll join the resistance . . . Viva Liberty.

rplat on November 4, 2008 at 7:42 AM

while Obama stumbled through most of it:

C’mon, Ed! There are good reasons to pick on BHO. He seemed his usual eloquent self to me.

jgapinoy on November 4, 2008 at 7:44 AM

right2bright on November 4, 2008 at 7:36 AM

They don’t have to. As long as the press swoons in rapt attention hoping just to touch his raiment, he can (and does) say “uh” fifty times a sentence and they will say he’s the new and improved JFK.

trubble on November 4, 2008 at 7:45 AM

That was Howard Cosell’s line, Howard made that famous.

Interesting–I didn’t know that.
I miss the toupeed one.

jgapinoy on November 4, 2008 at 7:45 AM

Ed – If you or AllahPundit or Michelle are able to find the interview that McCain did with Jim Gray for the radio, he did great on that too. Talked about, among other things, how athletes can be role models to encourage kids and teens to be active to fight obesity and inactivity. I thought he expressed himself well.

Michael in MI on November 4, 2008 at 7:46 AM

“I’ll join the resistance . . . Viva Liberty”

Seems like it would be alot of fun to go out and protest and break lots of sh=t. I’d be good at that.

This time…the cops would be on OUR side.

LtE126 on November 4, 2008 at 7:46 AM

God have mercy on our country.

I just finished praying that, & I’ll repeat it passionately all day.

jgapinoy on November 4, 2008 at 7:46 AM

I’m not as optimistic as Manly_Rash, but I’m pretty sure that McCain will win. I’m even hoping for a surprise here in Massachusetts.

fluffy on November 4, 2008 at 7:49 AM

The “United States of America” is no more.

rplat on November 4, 2008 at 7:23 AM

We haven’t been united since George Soros got his fingers into our politics. It started in 2000 with the whining Gore/Lieberman ticket. It abated after 9/11 and continued through 2004. Then the mismanagement of the Iraq war by Bush and the democrats desire to play politics with the lives of our troops started the chasm that we are experiencing today. The Soros backed leftists took over the democrat party base and moved it toward European socialism. He had the money to manipulate the moderates into supporting those socialist ideals. During 2007-08 the lefts irrational angst toward Bush boiled in anticipation of a defeat of conservative values today.

So, here we are today, less than 18 hours away from the creation of a rift between Americans that only a final showdown between European socialism and conservative American values can repair. It begins tonight with an Obama loss. The final chapter in the insanity of liberalism brought for by the 60′s moonbats will play out when the Obama supporters go crazy and destroy our cities. In a way, I welcome it because it is a chance to educate the ignorant masses that are a product of the liberal system of public education. The only question is will a referendum on liberalism finally quash these dangerous ideals, or will, just like their defeats over the last 8 years, make them more committed? I think these people are crazy and crazy people usually ignore the results that tell them they are crazy. Will they believe that the reason they lost is because they didn’t go far enough? It sure seems like it because the candidates the democrats are nominating for president have become more Marxist as their defeats mount. Thank God Obama will lose tonight. It will spare the country from wishing for a president that has views more in line with Gore’s mild liberalism.

csdeven on November 4, 2008 at 7:51 AM

crashland on November 4, 2008 at 7:31 AM

I actually convinced my 20-year-old who didn’t want to register, and who threatened to vote for Barr if he could be BOTHERED to sign up, to register and vote McCain/Palin during early voting last weekend.

I am headed out the door right now to exercise the franchise which so many fought and died to safeguard.

VOTE!! McCAIN/PALIN 08 – COUNTRY FIRST!

Lurking Vet on November 4, 2008 at 7:52 AM

I have been standing in line for about 1.5 hours in good ol’ PG County Maryland. My McCain/Palin vote will be canceled out by all the Obamatrons here, but I have to do my part. My little brother who follows no politics asked me what I thought of both candidates and I laid it out for him. He has 2 kids and was shocked about Barry’s abortion stance. He also works for a small towing company that does business all over the metro area, so I clued him in about the assault coming on that.

By the end of it, he told me that he thinks BHO may be the AC, so he’s more perceptive to the tactics being used than I thought. I just let him go w/that bc taking his vote from BHO is what matters.

So my feet hurt, headed to my ultra liberal work place after I make it through here, and I’m saying it’s not over til it’s over.

If my brother can be persuaded, anyone can!

Dubn8tr on November 4, 2008 at 7:53 AM

Ludwig – Unfortunately history shows that the losing party usually swerves to the center. They figure they lost because they didn’t appeal to enough people. I fear that if the other party wins with a far left candidate today, the Reps will move center left to try to recover. Hopefully, I’m wrong and there will be someone like Reagan waiting in the wings to return the party to it’s core principals while also connecting with people outside the party and bringing them in without compromising values.

Even more hopefully, we win today and this candidate still shows up 4 years from now so we win then too.

JadeNYU on November 4, 2008 at 7:55 AM

It started in 2000 with the whining Gore/Lieberman ticket.

I’d say it started with the budget battles in the early 90s.

jgapinoy on November 4, 2008 at 7:56 AM

Ed, why are you making excuses for Barry?

redrock on November 4, 2008 at 7:31 AM

I am confused about that as I was when he ragged on Bachmann after her interview with Chrissy. I think Ed, just like my brother, is simply a nice guy who occasionally errs on the side of caution when he should be making a stand.

Kinda like McCain has with Wright. It is incomprehensible to leave the Wright issue on the shelf when your opponent is intent on changing the Supreme Court into a socialist dream come true.

csdeven on November 4, 2008 at 7:57 AM

csdeven on November 4, 2008 at 7:51 AM

Well said.

rplat on November 4, 2008 at 7:57 AM

As a fellow New Yorker I will be pulling the lever for McCain/Palin. It won’t make a difference in this state but it makes a difference to me.

Go McCain/Palin!!

NYconservative on November 4, 2008 at 7:58 AM

csdeven on November 4, 2008 at 7:57 AM

obama got lucky and ran against a man with actual principles right or wrong.

trailortrash on November 4, 2008 at 7:59 AM

“College football should have playoffs” – excellent answer that most sports fans will agree with, especially in swing states Florida, Pennsylvania, and Ohio.

“We need to crack down on steroids” – boilerplate politician answer that will elicit groans from fans tired of steroids.

If it were up to this interview alone, Obama would win like 90% of the country.

e-pirate on November 4, 2008 at 8:02 AM

Well thank goodness for “What would you change about sports?” neither candidate said, “I’d petition the IOC to add igniting farts as an Olympic sport. I’m confident America would bring home the gold!”

radjah shelduck on November 4, 2008 at 8:03 AM

Ludwig on November 4, 2008 at 7:16 AM

I lived in Florida in 2000, and I voted Brown partly because the polls had told me that Bush was a shoo-in to win the state.

MarkTheGreat on November 4, 2008 at 8:07 AM

jgapinoy on November 4, 2008 at 7:44 AM

Much as I hate to admit it, I thought he did okay–maybe a little better than normal since he actually did say something of substance about the playoffs. I didn’t count any more “ummmmmms” and “aaaaannnnnnddddds” than usual. He makes me so impatient when he does that, I want to reach into the TV and shake the words out of him.

Dee2008 on November 4, 2008 at 8:10 AM

I’m in Michigan and like some others of you, I know my vote for McCain/Palin won’t make a difference. But it’s like Mac said in the interview, maybe nobody will ever know you did the right thing, but you’ll know. Also, even if McCain doesn’t win, it’s still important that Obama not walk away feeling like he has some kind of mandate.

Dee2008 on November 4, 2008 at 8:14 AM

I’d say it started with the budget battles in the early 90s.

jgapinoy on November 4, 2008 at 7:56 AM

We have always had budget battles and worked them out in the end. The level of acrimony coming from the left began when Gore went back on his concession in 2000. He allowed his partisan democrat handlers to convince him that there was a conspiracy against him. This gave a national voice, and by default, credibility, to the insanity of the moonbat mentality of conspiratorial thinking. Gore may be an honorable man, but he wasn’t a self made man. Had he had one ounce of courage, he would have admitted defeat and thereby denying the crazies the national credibility they had been trying to get since the 60′s. It was because of Gore’s cowardice that the media adopted the conspiracies that Bush lied when he presented the case for the Iraq war and WMD’s. Without that credibility, the issue in Iraq would have centered on the fact that Saddam had violated UN sanctions and irrespective of WMD’s, we were completely justified in going in.

Here is the danger now….because these insane accusations based on mind reading have become acceptable as fact, it gives EVERYONE permission to do so. It wont be too long before some right leaning folks with get together and claim that Obama tried to steal this election by keeping his grandma alive on life support up until the day before election. They then pull her plug at the most opportune time in order to create the impression that God himself has ordained Obama as the next president of the US. This of course is crazy! It may be true, but it requires a level of assumption that cannot be verified. And since it cannot be verified, it should never be used as an accusation. This is the tactic that Gore gave national credibility to and the left has been running with it ever since.

WE, conservatives, CANNOT adopt these ideals. We must stay conservative because the defeat of the socialist movement in America cannot be allowed to gain any further ground. We will put up a serious road block when McCain wins tonight and hopefully these moonbats will finally go the way of the Dodo.

csdeven on November 4, 2008 at 8:16 AM

“College football should have playoffs” Then the sportscaster says “You can probly make that happen” its not the presidents job, how much power do these people think Obama is going to have?

Gwillie on November 4, 2008 at 8:25 AM

I was bored with Greta and I happened to switch to ESPN and saw the Berman interview with McCain. Mac was fantastic and you can see Berman was pretty pumped interviewing McCain.
I see a guy who is confident.
McCain/Palin!!!!

jencab on November 4, 2008 at 8:27 AM

IT’s MORNING IN AMERICA once again… McCain WINS! – Mark Garnett on November 4, 2008 at 7:08 AM

Mark Garnett, you are a great American. You put my meager efforts to shame. Thank you, sir.

ManlyRash on November 4, 2008 at 8:27 AM

We have evolved into two warring camps held apart by only a thin, weak thread of restraint. The country is headed for the abyss and certain disaster. – rplat on November 4, 2008 at 7:57 AM

Not just yet.

ManlyRash on November 4, 2008 at 8:29 AM

What’s with all the hatin’ here? These guys are paid to give us not just the news, but their opinion on things. And just because the interview happened before we knew about grandma’s death, doesn’t mean Barry didn’t know yet.
/no Obamessiah supporter

bikermailman on November 4, 2008 at 8:29 AM

Steel yourselves for the transformation of a once great Republic into a Marxist/socialist regime. If you think this country was divided before, just wait until tomorrow morning. The “United States of America” is no more. – rplat on November 4, 2008 at 7:23 AM

Oh, pish posh. Put some steel in your backbone. This day is ours.

ManlyRash on November 4, 2008 at 8:32 AM

csdeven on November 4, 2008 at 8:16 AM

I still think the level of lies, deception, & hate from the left increased dramatically in the early 90s & has not abated.

jgapinoy on November 4, 2008 at 8:42 AM

Oh, pish posh. Put some steel in your backbone. This day is ours.

ManlyRash on November 4, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Mellow out Manly . . . I’m on your side. I was just reminding everyone of the most putrid and undesirable outcome. Trust me, there’s plenty of steel in my backbone.

rplat on November 4, 2008 at 8:49 AM

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

It is time for a new guard.

Fight! Fight! Fight! – Win!

No to unjust death! Yes to life!

No to tyranny! Yes to liberty!

No to oppressive taxation! Yes to property and pursuit of happiness!

Fight! Fight! Fight! – Win!

Fozzy Bear on November 4, 2008 at 8:56 AM

I would just like to remind HA readers that Starbucks is giving out a free cup of coffee to anyone that comes in and says they voted.
BO wants to bankrupt the coal industry. Let’s bankrupt Starbucks with millions of free cups of coffee!
Vote early, vote often and drink lots of cups of Starbucks coffee!

Babs on November 4, 2008 at 9:06 AM

Well, I am an immigrant, and the first day I was able to vote was 9/11. I voted then, I have voted this time, and while the vote on 9/11 was a school board election, I think the two votes have equal import. I voted on 9/11 (in the evening, after the attacks – my wife and I had been planning on making a celebration of it) to stick it to those who would take our votes away from us because we do not believe what they believe. I voted this time, for the same reason. Different people who want to take my vote from me, but the same blind bigotry is behind some (thankfully not all) of them.
VOTE, and go McCain – Palin.

wilf on November 4, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Really? Another check next to an Obama idea with which I disagree. I hate the idea of a college football playoff. I want it back to the old bowl system.

InCali on November 4, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Obama usually does much better with light conversation than this.

you mean like the one he had with Joe the Plumber? Playoff system? how does that spread the wealth around? Shouldn’t we give every team a trophy for “trying”? that is what we do in our schools now. Six valedictorians is hardly enough!

pgrossjr on November 4, 2008 at 4:43 PM