Open thread: Dixville Notch goes to the polls

posted at 12:01 am on November 4, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

It’s not at all predictive and it only involves 20 people, but it’s tradition.  Dixville Notch goes to the polls at midnight:

Dixville Notch, a village in New Hampshire’s northeast corner, will begin voting at the stroke of 12 a.m. ET Tuesday, and the ballots won’t take long to tally: Dixville Notch only has about 20 registered voters.

The town, home to around 75 residents, has opened its polls shortly after midnight each Election Day since 1960, drawing national media attention for being the first place in the country to make its presidential preferences known.

But since 1996, another small New Hampshire town, Hart’s Location, reinstated its practice from the 1940s and also opens its polls at midnight.

Dixville Notch?  Hart’s Location?  All we need is Hot Air Hollow and we’ll have the hat trick.  In honor of the great work ahead of us today, let’s have an open thread on the early-morning kickoff.

Update: Dixville Notch goes to Obama, 15-6, but we thought New Hampshire would be blue this year.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

If we keep Obama below 300 electoral votes, I will consider it a moral victory.

How ’bout we keep him below 270 and call it victory?

Let’s roll.

ex-Democrat on November 4, 2008 at 1:02 PM

I went out and did my duty, and voted for Sarah Palin and that guy she’s running with. But horror of horrors, I found out my youngest sister voted for Uuuuuuhbama.

thekingtut on November 4, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Learned the same thing about my sister and her husband in PA, but then remembered my Mom used to say Sis didn’t have a lot of common sense.

cybervixen49 on November 4, 2008 at 1:07 PM

the new KKK

corona on November 4, 2008 at 1:11 PM

I was taking the day off and just doing some catch up at home and there was a knock at the door. A younger person with a number of Obama buttons on and he asked if I was so and so.

He asked whom I voted for and I told him it was none of his business. What I don’t like about this is he had a clipboard with a lot of paperwork on it and was marking down everything…what happened to “what happens in the booth stays in the booth”

This is the first time in my life that somebody came to the door and asked me whom I voted for

Conagher on November 4, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Look like he dashed off the article as a first draft. Besids, I makee pleantye of typoos.

ManlyRash on November 4, 2008 at 12:19 PM

The same word over 50 times?

Chimpy on November 4, 2008 at 1:46 PM

I read somewhere else that Dixville Notch only has 19 registered voters. Can anyone corrobrate or refute that so that a flare can be fired off about it?

bryanmyrick on November 4, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Yeahhhh, um, these Obama thugs remind me of a domestic security force, no? He’s gonna give em guns, folks.

marklmail on November 4, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Thanks for the link, Manly. I’ve been vacillating between optimism and pessimism for over a week now. I believe McCain will win but it will be close. It’s times like this that I wish I drank. Guess I’ll have to settle for some ice-cold lemonade on this balmy Texas day.

drflykilla on November 4, 2008 at 2:21 PM

In the tank!!

lolwut on November 4, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Obama thugs remind me of a domestic security force, no?
marklmail

Gosh. I don’t know….have a look for yourself

And THIS crowd will be funded equal to the military??? Along with the un-Fairness Doctrine? Osama didn’t lie; it qualifies as a change.

Beware your family security. :)

mustang1 on November 4, 2008 at 2:32 PM

saint kansas on November 4, 2008 at 10:52 AM

One of the things I’ve noticed as I’ve matured and become more conservative is that most pop music is crap. Especially that pretentious 1980s art school music I used to think was so sophisticated. Nowadays I blast out early medieval to renaissance music, mostly. Me, still pretentious; music, much better. I can’t bring myself to watch films with Matt Damon in either. :p

Fortunata on November 4, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Just had an Obama volunteer come to my door. You should have seen his little face fall when I just shoo-ed him away without even bothering to listen to him. A shame really, as he was a young college kid with bumfluff for “stubble” and I would have liked to put him on the mantelpiece and keep him as a pet…

Fortunata on November 4, 2008 at 2:41 PM

bryanmyrick on November 4, 2008 at 2:00 PM

They had 26 registered voters in 2004. The total population of the place is about 75; basically the entire “town” is made up of a grand hotel called “The Balsams”.

I’ve lived in NH much of my life but only bothered to go there once. I was somewhat disappointed-the road in from Colebrook, the largest major town, goes thru a huge junkyard where contruction equipment like bulldozers go to die. The mountains are nice to look at, but nothing special compared to some of the other mountains here.

Supposedly, the cuisine at the Balsams is outstanding, but from my location I can get to Boston just as quickly.

Del Dolemonte on November 4, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Sorry folks. YouTube dumped the video. Didn’t like the Black Panthers being seen in their ‘blackshirts’ intimidating voters. hehe

mustang1 on November 4, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Just made 15 calls for McCain. Mostly answering machines but positive feedback from the live people.

Make calls if you can! At least get out and VOTE!

kerrhome on November 4, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Fortunata on November 4, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Yep I’m finding out that I don’t have anyone left to boycott.

Time to throw out the TV.

SaintOlaf on November 4, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Used to live in NH before moving to Texas. Ah, Franconia Notch – beautiful up there.

FWIW: Last 5 elections, they are 3 and 2 at picking the winners. . .

RedNewEnglander on November 4, 2008 at 3:29 PM

A lot of people are about to get what they deserve. Unfortunately some people are going to get really hurt by their government that didn’t deserve it. They finished school, tried to their best, worked hard, and now their government is about to kill the American dream for them, so they buy off some votes of people who do the least to contribute to a healthy society. In the end many of the Obama voters are going to be unemployment lines in the next 2 years as unemployment hits 12%.
I all about electing Obama now. I finally realized we can now work to blame him for everything for the next two years and work to take Republican control of the house and senate. That’s just 2 years. A lot of damage can be done in 2 years…

indyrowe on November 4, 2008 at 4:16 PM