Video: Black Panther poll intimidation in Pennsylvania?

posted at 1:25 pm on November 4, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Hopefully, this kind of thing will be kept to a minimum today.  Fox News reports that voters complained of intimidation in Philadelphia when they saw a purported Black Panther poll watcher guarding the door to the polling station with a nightstick.  Police apparently moved him along (transcript by TV Eyes):

JANE SKINNER: breaking election news, we have reports of possible voter intimidation in some way — pennsylvania. republicans saying that two black panthers have been blocking the doorway of one polling locations. rick, what are the details on this? what are you hearing?

RICK LEVENTHAL: i do not even know where to begin, but we have reached a polling place in the city of philadelphia. one of the two black panthers who was allegedly blocking the door is standing right over here, with an accused us of intimidating voters because we were here with a camera and microphone. he did not answer questions, other people here have confirmed that another person in black panther attire was holding a night stick and apparently the concern was that they were intimidating people who were trying to go inside to vote. a republican poll observer actually called the police, the police were here and we miss them, they came and left. that person called the police is here. why don’t you tell us — step down off the curb, if you do not mind. what is going on here?

CITIZEN: we got a phone call that there was intimidation going on. i walked up to the door, two gentlemen in black panther guard, one brandishing a nightstick, standing in front of the door. they closed ranks as i walked up. i am a veteran, that does not scare me. i went inside and found full- watchers, they said they had been here for an hour — i went inside and found poll-watchers, they said that they had said not to let people outside because black people are going to win no matter what. at that point, i spoke to him, we would not get into a fistfight, i said, and i called the police.

LEVENTHAL: the person with the nightstick was escorted away, which i just confirmed inside. but the implication is that you were telling me that the black panthers were there to intimidate white voters from coming to this location?

CITIZEN: anyone who is not going their way, i do not know. someone in front of a polling place with a nightstick, that is intimidating for all voters.

LEVENTHAL: this is the first time i have heard of black panthers being stationed outside of a polling place. the one gentleman who is still here, he is a poll-watcher?

CITIZEN: yes, and he can wear what he wants.

LEVENTHAL: the other person was not allowed to be there with a nice that?

CITIZEN: you cannot stand with a nightstick anywhere, that is a weapon. obviously, you cannot stand around with a weapon menacingly in your hand under any circumstances.

LEVENTHAL: that is situation, as far as we know it. we have heard of other incidents in the city, including voting machines breaking down. we heard of an incident not far from here where far — all three machines broke down. people did wait, most of them. lines have dissipated. i have not made it inside yet, we had a skirmish in front of the door. apparently there is voting going on as well. at this point, apparently anyone who wants to vote here can vote here.

SKINNER: i know that they do not have enough people to man ever falling site, but as far as you understand the police have come and gone. is anyone monitoring in case someone is still hanging around?

LEVENTHAL: well there are poll watchers still standing here, we’ve been to at least a half a dozen polls around here and I haven’t seen any police officers, they don’t want a police presence to intimidate some voters, they did escort one gentleman out of here

SKINNER: It’s true in some places they don’t want police on sight, plenty going on there for you.

A nightstick wouldn’t get me out of line, I can tell you that. The police don’t need to station themselves in the precincts, but they have to be responsive — and it sounds like they were. Bear in mind that Philadelphia is where “street money” comes into play for Democratic GOTV efforts; this may not be a “Black Panther” at all, but just an ordinary thug hired to look menacing enough to frighten off the weak-kneed. On the other hand, as Michelle reports, the New Black Panther Party said they would send people to the polls to scare off “racist forces [that want to] slaughter our babies or commit other acts of violence against the black population, nor our black president.”

Apparently, that includes all voters supporting John McCain.

We’ll keep an eye on any more reports of voter intimidation. This is going to be a long, long day.

Update: This video makes it even more plain:

Note the patch on the uniform. That’s the NBPP.

Update II: Here’s video of the cops kicking them out:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

The police still didn’t act fast enough not have some people’s votes lost in this election.

indyrowe on November 4, 2008 at 4:21 PM

progressoverpeace on November 4, 2008 at 4:16 PM

have you heard how belgium prosecutes people for ‘racism’?? if they dare disagree with the ruling elite?

expect that here.

people think the good times will last forever…keep dreaming..why should anyone work just to give it away to big bro obama??

right4life on November 4, 2008 at 4:23 PM

yadayadayadayadayad blahblahblah…zzzzzzz

right4life on November 4, 2008 at 4:19 PM

Ouch. Harsh. Very becoming of an intelligent “Christian”.

MadisonConservative on November 4, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Hey, don’t you know that these brainless wonders are signing up for Hussein’s 250,000 civilian security force. So Soon?? Well, you know Hussein wants implement a few of his plans right away!!! I would like to personally thank the dumb whities that took his rhetoric bullsh** on helping the middle class hook, line and sinker!!! Remember he is a BLACK activist for BLACk issues ONLY!!!

Lynken on November 4, 2008 at 4:26 PM

If this has been done before, I’m sorry for the duplicate.

*Forrest Gump voice*

Sorry to ruin your Black Panther party by voting for john McCain.

NoFanofLibs on November 4, 2008 at 4:28 PM

I can tell you image of the Black Panthers showing up at Philidelphia have inspired 5 Bob-Barr-Libertairan anti-McCain Righties to vote for McCain/Palin this morning (I am on 2 Conservative forums as a long-term member). The concept of Obama’s “Civilian Army” and this picture have scared the piss out of them (er,…so to speak ).

Keep in mind, these were people absolutely NOT voting for McCain — not no way, not no how. Now, the McCain/Palin tally has 7 extra votes (spouses also switched). All because of Obama’s goons.

Three of these votes are in battlegound states.

Mutnodjmet on November 4, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Hopefully, this kind of thing will be kept to a minimum today.

What are you kidding? This election is being stolen all over the country.

peacenprosperity on November 4, 2008 at 4:30 PM

How did the Black Panthers get official poll observer paperwork, as CNN is reporting???

davenp35 on November 4, 2008 at 4:30 PM

do I need a concealed deadly weapon permit for my cell phone now??

neal7 on November 4, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Last time I stayed in Philly, I was walking in this park by the river and there was a guy patrolling(officially?) it on a golf cart. It apparently was so dangerous that it would not have been safe to walk there otherwise? Can’t say for sure but that’s what it looked like. I remember when it was a nice place to visit!!Guess those days are gone.

jeanie on November 4, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Mutnodjmet on November 4, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Spread the video around farther!

Enoxo on November 4, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Three of these votes are in battlegound states.

Mutnodjmet on November 4, 2008 at 4:30 PM

That is why we want to report it, but not stop it…give someone enough rope and they hang themselves.
We want the rest of the country to see what they are voting for.

right2bright on November 4, 2008 at 4:33 PM

HotAir makes me sadder by the day.

If this is charged to Obama I guess it’s safe to charge every actually lynching of a black voter to the candidate which won on that election day?

Pathetic.

Oh and how is cheering on a bishop who says that people who vote for Obama are going to hell any different than cheering on “G-D America” Rev. Wright?

…when the “B” stamped woman was supposedly assaulted by an Obama supporter it showed how wretched Barrack and his supporters were. But when it turned out she made the whole thing up it cast no shadow on McCain and his supporters.

I am glad what I have seen here over the past couple of months does not seem to represent the general pulse of America on this historic election day.

Believe it or not, no matter which party wins the White House, America wins today.

12thman on November 4, 2008 at 1:48 PM

If you can’t take the heat, troll, then stay the hell out of the kitchen,

-Dave

Dave R. on November 4, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Mutnodjmet on November 4, 2008 at 4:30 PM

G-d bless you. This election is about far more than just political philosophy. The spirit of America hangs in the balance, as at no other time.

progressoverpeace on November 4, 2008 at 4:35 PM

“I’m SORRY!” to all my new HotAir friends, I should NOT have used the bold so much, but guys I did already get the MANLYRASH seal of approval, and I just joined yesterday…

I’m trying to fit in, but I am very comfortable with you all because I have read this forum for months… I feel a bond, and I’m again sorry if I got a tad bit excited, BUT I CAN FEEL THE SPIRIT OF OUR FOUNDERS, OF OUR COUNTRY MOVING OVER THIS GREAT LAND TONIGHT! IT FEELS LIKE FREEDOM!

Mark Garnett on November 4, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Mark Garnett on November 4, 2008 at 4:35 PM

And please stop Xeroxing comments from one thread to another. That is akin to spamming and is generally frowned upon.

ManlyRash on November 4, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Mark Garnett on November 4, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Heh. If Manly said it’s okay, you’re good to go. Embolden all you want.

progressoverpeace on November 4, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Not confirmed, but this may be the guy with the club.

Shabazz is chairman of the New Black Panther Party’s Philadelphia chapter. In black beret atop dreadlocks and a black military uniform, he spends most weekdays near City Hall condemning “crackers” and exhorting black passers-by to rise up against their “slavemasters” – and to give him $2 for the party’s semi-annual newspaper.

Ace has it.

Keyser-Soze on November 4, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Were they wearing Raspberry berets?

The kind you find at a second-hand store?

Speedwagon82 on November 4, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Mark Garnett on November 4, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Welcome Mark…………… relax, type normal, and listen to the friendly advice of Manly(What the Hell is that on my Testicles!)Rash…………. :O) (sorry Manly, couldn’t help myself)

Sooner or later, you will post something that you wish you didn’t………… usually late night, with some beverage of choice in hand, but we all have………… and we are a forgiving bunch, as long as you don’t live under a bridge.

Relax, enjoy History in the making……….. and try your sense of humor out on us……. most welcome.

McCain/Palin 2008!

Seven Percent Solution on November 4, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Mark Garnett on November 4, 2008 at 4:35 PM
Heh. If Manly said it’s okay, you’re good to go. Embolden all you want.

progressoverpeace on November 4, 2008 at 4:38 PM

You know that now you have to follow what Manly Rash says. Last night he was looking to purchase the services of a hooker. Are you ready to PAY for that, Mark?

HornetSting on November 4, 2008 at 4:46 PM

I wish us well freinds, seems I’ve had too much caffien today, wearing on some folks nerves with my overly and overtly excitment, so I will come back later when I have chilled a bit… Last thing I want to do is tick off those I hope to be sharing space with for the McCain administrations 4 years… cya all later to… well…

Mark Garnett on November 4, 2008 at 4:47 PM

love jane skinner

custer on November 4, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Mark Garnett on November 4, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Mark, come back. We are all just on edge. You’re are welcome.

HornetSting on November 4, 2008 at 4:51 PM

more than 1 god…reading is fundamental…and so is understanding….

right4life on November 4, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Tell me or give me a link about those other gods.

Chimpy on November 4, 2008 at 4:59 PM

Mark Garnett on November 4, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Mark, I have no problem with your posts. I love your enthusiasm. I am not Manly and though I have posted here a long time, I post seldom. I enjoy your posts. Nice to have you here.

Glynn on November 4, 2008 at 5:09 PM

relax folks, mccain is gonna win. although a few unfriendly black panthers might be in your face, the PUMA’s are lurking in stealth to rip out the donkeys throat and eat it for supper. anyone gotta toothpick?

samiam on November 4, 2008 at 5:13 PM

There is nothing to worry about here, folks.

In the Fox new report, when they get clost to the remaing Black Panther, he is plainly seen to be wearing Captain’s Bars.

As you know, commisioned officers are carefully screened and vetted, and recieve technical training of the highest order.

So you see, there is nothing to worry about. This Captain clearly must be of the highest moral fibre, or he would not have been awarded this post of high responsibility; he deserves our respect and we must follow his unquestionably lawful orders.

pseudonominus on November 4, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Maybe these are the same black panthers on obama’s web page!

christene on November 4, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Not confirmed, but this may be the guy with the club.

Ace has it.

Keyser-Soze on November 4, 2008 at 4:42 PM

LOL

That fool would be a chalk outline on the side walk if he approached me.

Old Hippie Vet on November 4, 2008 at 5:15 PM

Oh, I get it, those guys with the berets are from Prince’s group, I thought they looked familar…LOL

Lynken on November 4, 2008 at 5:18 PM

This thread makes me wish there were more than just two videos to substantiate it.

I tried showing the videos to some liberals I know and all they could do was scream at me about how “the Black Panther Party was focused on so much love and did good,” call me closed minded (this while refusing to even look at the videos) and claim YouTube is an invalid source ’cause they have Casey Anthony and Scott Peterson videos on there (LOLWUT?)

All they succeeded in was making me even sicker of those goons.

Ryan Gandy on November 4, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Again, bloggers doing the work journalist refuse to do.

The 2nd thing I’m most looking forward to after this McCain win, is to see the liberal media get their marching orders from those sleepers who were finally awakened to their lies, distorations and omissions the past 6 months. Good riddance.

SoldiersMom on November 4, 2008 at 5:49 PM

This id just a peek of a Barry O administration. Black panthers= Barry O brown shirts!

grapeknutz on November 4, 2008 at 5:58 PM

the vanguard of the civilian defense force, america’s finest, in obamaworld

ckeesley on November 4, 2008 at 6:14 PM

Obama’s chickens coming home to roost?

sonnyspats1 on November 4, 2008 at 6:19 PM

White people are the real victims in this election- right? You need to focus on discrimination against whites. Blacks have the right to vote fully protected in every part of the country. That’s the reality on Hot Air.

bayam on November 4, 2008 at 6:31 PM

I have to wonder if the black Philadelphia police officer had dealt with these hardcases in the past and knew they harmless.

He must have.

You can clearly see one of them is armed with a nightstick, yet the officer turns his back on the guy as he gestures for the other NBPP member to follow him away from the polling place entrance.

He either knew them or he opened himself up to getting clobbered.

manofaiki on November 4, 2008 at 6:42 PM

Your future National Security Force.
Coming soon to a neighborhood near you.

JellyToast on November 4, 2008 at 6:48 PM

I could have easily put down the guy with the nightstick. The other guy, I’m not sure about. But after getting the nightstick, he may be in trouble also…..haha…

nottakingsides on November 4, 2008 at 6:53 PM

also new here (registered yesterday) and hoping to some day earn that coveted ManlyRash Seal of Approval…

Red State State of Mind on November 4, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Well, there was a little attempt here for voter suppression similar to what has been happening in Pennsylvania. But since there are no Black Panthers around here, the 0bama campaign had to resort to something even more intimidating: When I went in to vote, the doors to OUR polling place were being ‘blocked’ by two rather chubby, pale faced teenage girls with Obama shirts and hats, armed with clipboards and crayons pencils.

Just for grins, I was going to take a photo of them on my way out, but they were gone when I finished voting.

I asked at the polls (2:00PM) if turnout was good, and they said that it was…But I seemed to be the only actual voter in the place (Lots of poll workers), and there was only one other signature on the sign in page with my range of the alphabet.

Every time previously during our elections, just about all the various local, state and national campaigns have people lining the road down to our polling place, waving signs and cheering, just outside the legal limit, but today, other than the two young 0bama girls who were INSIDE the no-campaigning zone, only one of the guys running for Sheriff was out there. Not quite sure what to make of that.

It is pretty windy, with a hint of possible snow for later tonight, but still, I wonder at the lack of enthusiasm.

Drove through town. The two Democrat HQ places had balloons, streamers and activity. The Republican HQ had several cars in front of it, but looked pretty dead otherwise.

Anyway, that’s the report from Upper Podunk, New Mexico.

LegendHasIt on November 4, 2008 at 7:04 PM

There is nothing to worry about here, folks.

In the Fox new report, when they get clost to the remaing Black Panther, he is plainly seen to be wearing Captain’s Bars…….
pseudonominus on November 4, 2008 at 5:14 PM

I noticed the bars too; made me think of my dad (long gone) who actually WAS a captain in the Army…..

Red State State of Mind on November 4, 2008 at 7:23 PM

he new face of Civilian Security.

Kini on November 4, 2008 at 11:13 PM

yep, now we watch and see. As for my house, I dont dial 911, ok?

johnnyU on November 5, 2008 at 4:12 AM

Do not worry there will be a GOP group of covert activists as soon as a few terms of enlistment expire over the next couple years. These guys are smarter too.

bill30097 on November 5, 2008 at 10:22 AM

The Black Panthers are terrorists, savage thugs. They killed scores of people in the 70′s. They fooled dumb white Marxists into thinking that they were interested in socialism and used this hustle to get dumb rich whites into donating money for their cause, which they spent on drugs and guns with which to terrorize their communities. The cops should just round them up and taser them, then throw them into cages. F**king animals.

Sharke on November 5, 2008 at 10:38 PM