Video: Cavuto goes nuclear on Menendez for spinning Obama’s tax plan

posted at 6:45 pm on November 3, 2008 by Allahpundit

The O’Reilly/Frank meltdown aside, I can’t remember the last time I saw a TV anchor get in a politician’s face this aggressively. NC never quite calls him a moron or liar but he does come right to the brink, thanks to Jersey Bob’s McCaskill-esque tour de force of playing dumb as a simple question is put to him over and over and over again. For the record, and needless to say, Cavuto’s right about The One wanting to bump the top bracket back up to 39.6 percent.

Word on the street is that Menendez’s cryptic comment near the end about the anchors who’ll be leaving Fox is a reference to the Fairness Doctrine. I scanned the first half of the show to try to find what he’s referring to but didn’t hear any mention of Fairness (which, at least in its prior incarnation, wouldn’t apply to cable anyway). It’s probably just a nod to the fact that Brit Hume’s stepping down after the election, as if to say he wouldn’t mind seeing Cavuto follow suit.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

HELLO FRIENDS!

Tonight, all across the fruited plains, Americans are preparing to cast a vote for AMERICAS PAST, IT’S PRESENT and IT’S FUTURE… Men and Women, of every race, every social background, every economic status… They will do thier duty, to honor all those who have given us the ability to participate in this “MOST BEAUTIFUL EXPERIMENT”, this land that GOD has blessed with bounty from Sea to shining Sea… My friends, tonight we pray, we gerd our loins for the battle of our time, our Getteysburg, our Iwo Jima, our Battle of the Buldge… It is OUR TURN! It is OUR TIME! We MUST NOT FAIL to protect and defend the Constitution, the Bill of Rights! To protect our families, our friends, our neighbors… The enemy is at the gate, our time is NOW! Stand with me and FIGHT FOR YOUR FREEDOMS as so many have done before us… Let’s drag McCain to victory for our COURTS, OUR MILITARY, OUR SCHOOLS, OUR FLAG and OUR RELIGIONS! Sleep well America, for tomorrow we battle for our very lives as Americans, it’s THAT INPORTANT! God bless our efforts, and with his will we WILL PREVAIL against the biggest challenge, the biggest THREAT of our time… Rest well America, for we are comming out by the MILLIONS tommorrow to DEFEND you once again…

Mark Garnett on November 3, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Neil gets feisty. Gotta’ love it!

Y-not on November 3, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Mark Garnett on November 3, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Well done, Mark. Let’s make it happen. McCain for the WIN.

ManlyRash on November 3, 2008 at 6:51 PM

I am so sick of listening to people talk

skree on November 3, 2008 at 6:51 PM

I don’t blame Neil for getting frustrated. Menendez came to the interview unprepared for in depth questions about Obama’s proposed tax policies. He should known Neil is all about the numbers, but he just kept repeating the talking points.

Beledibelle on November 3, 2008 at 6:53 PM

neil cavuto 2012

lorien1973 on November 3, 2008 at 6:53 PM

We Don’t Know Obama – PBS 10-30-08 Charlie Rose & Tom Brokaw

…but yet people vote for him anyways.

- timinnc

timinnc on November 3, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Liberals can not deal with facts. PERIOD

Wade on November 3, 2008 at 6:54 PM

It really sounds like neither of them have a clue what the other is saying. (of for that matter themselves) Menedez keeps saying Obamas plan for middle class OVER 250,000 and first NC says thats not right. then Menendez repeats OVER and NC says ok you cleared that up but Im talking about OVER. and Menendez says he doesnt know about that rate.

Am I wrong here?

CaptainObvious on November 3, 2008 at 6:55 PM

neil cavuto 2012

lorien1973 on November 3, 2008 at 6:53 PM

I could go for that.

PiggieSez on November 3, 2008 at 6:56 PM

It sounded to me, at least at the beginning, that Menendez didn’t know the difference between capital gains taxes and income taxes.

Mark1971 on November 3, 2008 at 6:56 PM

I saw this live and thought it was humorous. Then it dawned on me, that idiot is in congress. He gets to vote on important issues that he obviously doesn’t understand. It’s not funny.

Oldnuke on November 3, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Typically in these settings, I assume the dem is just being a mendacious lying piece of cr^p. But here Senator Menendez actually appears to be a complete moron and totally ignorant of basic taxation concepts… He must use most of his brain power to remember to keep breathing…

phreshone on November 3, 2008 at 6:57 PM

The democrat mind trick doesn’t work on Neil.

csdeven on November 3, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Menendez keeps trying to change the subject back to capital gains when Neil is asking him about the individual tax rates.

William Amos on November 3, 2008 at 6:57 PM

While I was watching that, I REALLY wanted to sock Menendez in the face.

Achilles on November 3, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Secretary of Treasury Neil Cavuto? Federal Reserve Chairman Neil Cavuto?

John_Locke on November 3, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Menendez has flown under my radar up til now. Wow, what a nether orifice he is!

ElectricPhase on November 3, 2008 at 6:59 PM

I expected to hear Cavuto say: “Senator, all offense intended, you are dumber than a box of rocks.”

phreshone on November 3, 2008 at 7:00 PM

The ignorance of folks like Menendez is exactly what’s gotten us into this financial bail-out fiasco.

Hal-9000 on November 3, 2008 at 7:00 PM

CaptainObvious on November 3, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Menendez wanted to confuse the difference between cap gains and income taxes.

csdeven on November 3, 2008 at 7:00 PM

I thought I couldn’t be shocked by these people anymore, but this one left my jaw on the floor.

Jim-Rose on November 3, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Disingenuous idiots appear to be the norm in Congress, rather than the exception. Or maybe they are brilliant at playing stupid.

Eqwatz on November 3, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Neil stuffs it for two.

tarpon on November 3, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Menendez was focusing like a laser on a positive talking point about cutting capital gains. The funny thing is, who is going to have major capital gains over the next few years with the stock market’s recent drops. It is more of a fringe point than anything else.

Neil was focusing in on the major income tax rates that are going up from a Reagan 28% to a Clinton-esk 39.6%. Menendez probably didn’t have the talking points for that issue, so he just stuck with what he knew.

Shame on Menendez for not being prepared to talk about ALL taxes. I have a hard time believing that he hasn’t seen the entire Obama plan.

Mo_mac on November 3, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Menendez is a fracking a$$. These Democrats are getting really sparky. I think I know how the Russians felt just before the Bolshevik Revolution. These guys are just simply blatant and know that they can lie, lie, lie, and smile, smile, smile, and walk away with another re-election win.

SICKENING!

Sultry Beauty on November 3, 2008 at 7:00 PM

I don’t think he was ill prepared. He had his spin notes down and did everything he could to deflect from reality. He knew exactly what he was doing. He just didn’t do it all that well.

CookeyD on November 3, 2008 at 7:00 PM

csdeven on November 3, 2008 at 7:00 PM

ahh, I dont speak liberal.

CaptainObvious on November 3, 2008 at 7:01 PM

This seems to be the Obama/Democrat way. Continue to lie thru your teeth, talk over your detractors, and say the same thing over and over like it is gospel, regardless of common sense.

Melendez is one of the guys that wants amnesty. Doesn’t surprise me that he is drinking at the Obama Kool-aid teet.

HornetSting on November 3, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Neil is the Darth Vader of the financial world.

Fear his choke hold.

Black Adam on November 3, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Let me let you guys in on a secret, Menedez couldn’t defend Obama’s tax plan since no one really knows what the actual plan is.

rob verdi on November 3, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Cavuto is too nice to really twist the knife.

mikeyboss on November 3, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Can Menendez be that stupid or does he think Cavuto is that stupid? Either way he is scary. Cavuto is great! He doesn’t let any guest get away with the typical talking points. Wish he could have interviewed the Messiah.

capitalistdoc on November 3, 2008 at 7:02 PM

He doesn’t.
I doubt, VERY much, if most in congress could pass Econ. 101

Hal-9000 on November 3, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Love Cavuto, he’s always square

Spirit of 1776 on November 3, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Mark1971 on November 3, 2008 at 6:56 PM

NC explains it clearly to Mendez in the very beginning but Mendez just continued to try and confalte the two..LOL So pathetic.

Dritanian on November 3, 2008 at 7:03 PM

HOW do these morons get elected?

tru2tx on November 3, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Rob:

I suppose the key word is CHANGE; isn’t it?

Eqwatz on November 3, 2008 at 7:04 PM

God love you senator, but you are a complete idiotic liar

custer on November 3, 2008 at 7:04 PM

HOW do these morons get elected?

tru2tx on November 3, 2008 at 7:03 PM

By morons that vote for them.

HornetSting on November 3, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Menendez, another perfect example of what my wonderful state has to offer. He fits right in with all the other hacks we generate here including Lautenberg, Corzine, Torricelli, Mc Greevy, etc. NJ voters assume the position like sheep every election and say “excuse me sir may I have another.” This is why eventually we’ll leave this state. I just hope someone is left here for them to tax out of existence.

What amazes me is that the voters here constantly accept these liars.

scharlesc on November 3, 2008 at 7:04 PM

HOW do these morons get elected?

They live in blue states and put (D) after their names.

rw on November 3, 2008 at 7:04 PM

I think I was just as frustrated with Neil as I was with Menendez. There are so many economically ignorant Americans out there that Menendez saying the Cap Rate over and over and disagreeing with Neil was plausible. Neil kept saying “Top Marginal Rate” and most of those people who don’t pay taxes don’t realize that that means “Federal Income Tax Rate”. Therefore, without clarifying this point the very people Neil is trying to get to understand that Menendez is attempting to lie and fool them would be left scratching their heads going, ‘huh? Whose right here?’

Sultry Beauty on November 3, 2008 at 7:05 PM

Their blinding hatred for Bush is so powerful that they can’t even recognize when they are lying through their teeth. This Senator is a disgrace. He “doesn’t know” where Cavuto’s numbers are coming from. What a horses ass.

cannonball on November 3, 2008 at 7:05 PM

Menendez has always been an idiot.

AZCoyote on November 3, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Senator, do you know these numbers?!?!? – LOL.

Do you know what the difference between 39.6% and 28%?!?!?

This is classic, deny and spin the facts.

romanianhacker on November 3, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Why didn’t NC cut the moron’s mike off?

macncheez on November 3, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Menendez has flown under my radar up til now. Wow, what a nether orifice he is!

ElectricPhase on November 3, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Same. Oh well, you know what they say – politics is a game usually played by idiots. This guy proves it.

Tacitus_SGL on November 3, 2008 at 7:07 PM

He sounded like the teacher on Charlie Brown. Wah wah wah, wah wah wah wah wah… wah wah wah.

rightside on November 3, 2008 at 7:07 PM

What will taxes matter if we are dead or burka’d due to “The One’s” passive foreign policy?

lclark1706 on November 3, 2008 at 7:08 PM

IGNORANCE The single most expensive commodity we have in this country!!

Most in congress are ignorant – as are most voters.

Menendez is a Senator and can’t so simple arithmetic.

Someone voted for him. How smart can those/that person be?

Hal-9000 on November 3, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Why didn’t NC cut the moron’s mike off?

macncheez on November 3, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Menendez was doing too good a job of making an ass of himself to waste not taping

William Amos on November 3, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Why didn’t NC cut the moron’s mike off?

macncheez on November 3, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Oh come on. Wasn’t it more fun to let him finish speaking like an idiot?

Sir Corky on November 3, 2008 at 7:09 PM

That was sweet. It’s amazing some of the people that reach high office.

BadgerHawk on November 3, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Say hello to the Obama “Useful idiot” repping the cause.

lonestr on November 3, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Menendez: a passive aggressive Demo tool who isn’t worth our time.
My condolences to his family. Anyone who is that even tempered in a situation like that must at least beat the dog when he gets home. That guy is scary.
My guess is that Menendez looses his job, not Neil. His lame comment at the end is just more projection from the party that spews more manure than all the cows in California.

Christine on November 3, 2008 at 7:10 PM

CaptainObvious, Cavuto was talking about the top income tax rate, Senator Dumbass kept talking about capital gains.

Pelayo on November 3, 2008 at 7:11 PM

I love it!

mindhacker on November 3, 2008 at 7:11 PM

I smell BBQ.

portlandon on November 3, 2008 at 7:13 PM

I was waiting for him to say that tax rates were like a series of tubes.

Mark1971 on November 3, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Ya want to have a good laugh, maybe cry, and be sad all at the same time?: Watch an economic issue debate on the floor of either house of congress!

Hal-9000 on November 3, 2008 at 7:14 PM

I think I was just as frustrated with Neil as I was with Menendez

In fairness to Neil I think he was shocked that Menendez would so blantantly pull this trick on him. I think he has been on his show before so I believe Menendez caught him off guard with this dance routine.

William Amos on November 3, 2008 at 7:15 PM

My Senator is a fockin moron.

bloghooligan on November 3, 2008 at 7:15 PM

I’ve prepared a few tax returns in my time. Menendez is absolutely clueless on our tax system. My least-educated clients understand the tax system 10X better than that guy. Wow.

Per wiki he’s not only on the Committee for Banking, Housing & Urban Affairs but also on the Committee for the Budget. Lord help us…

beancounter on November 3, 2008 at 7:16 PM

im not as smart as a senator but even this high school drop out knows 28%<39%.
but then again i have not been licking the boots sandles of the chosen one and shoving my head firmly between my legs and up my a** like Menendez.

Mojack420 on November 3, 2008 at 7:17 PM

This is the type of leadership we are gonna see under the “One”…God Save the USA.

d1carter on November 3, 2008 at 7:17 PM

what’s clear is that democrats don’t know the difference between income taxes, capital gains taxes, and payroll taxes.

bloghooligan on November 3, 2008 at 7:17 PM

About 2:20 in, Menendez says…~”Middle class families” making over $250,000″…

Man, if being in the middle class is now measured at making $250,000 a year, I’m worse off than I thought! I guess that puts myself and other fellow teachers/educators below the “new” improved poverty line in an Obama fantasy world!

Gotta love new math!! Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

SassyDarlin on November 3, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Menendez, Richardson, Martinez (FL) and the rest of his (Barry’s) Hispanic Coalition just make me puke….

Frustrated Hispanic from Miami

DRod on November 3, 2008 at 7:18 PM

The first thing I like about this video is how Mendez at the beginning says that these so-called tax breaks will be for families making less than $200,000 and then for the rest of the video he says $250,000. Nice. The second thing is how he keeps avoiding Neil’s questions by bashing McCain. Typical. I guess I shouldn’t be suprised at any of this, but I Neil is the best!

asim on November 3, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Mojack, i don’t think Menendez would know what “<” meant.

bloghooligan on November 3, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Sultry Beauty on November 3, 2008 at 7:05 PM

Good point, but the people who don’t understand the difference will not be watching Cavuto. They’ll be off watching re-runs of Dancing with the Survivors or American Idle. And yes I spelled it correctly.

Oldnuke on November 3, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Someone who does not know the difference between the marginal income tax rate and capital gains tax should not be allowed to hold any job that affects the financial well-being of others.

How is it that one needs to pass exams to hold just about any job these days, but voters willingly elect chumps like Menendez to office in New Jersey? Oh, sorry, I forgot that he was not elected, but nominated by Corzine.

I honestly don’t know if Menendez is just playing dumb or he really is so.

Either way, this clown needs to step down.

rao on November 3, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Senator Menendez came to the interview armed with the Obama campaign talking points and dutifully repeated them like Alan Colmes.

eigafan on November 3, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Yeah. . . you know, I found the most poignant moment near the end, where Neil says “I’m getting scared. . . you are a US Senator. . .”

It IS frightening that the Obama campaign has sooo many supporters who are unable (or unwilling) in any way to answer relevant questions. This is worse than a pig in a poke, because we are electing a President.

Big thanks to Neil and his ilk, who soldier on in an increasingly hostile and surreal atmosphere to stand up for things like truth and openness.

Should Obama win, I am sure lessons will be learned, but at what cost to how many?

btw – this my first comment here, finally got in after MONTHS of waiting :D Here’s to McCain/Palin, and an America that remains recognizable, free, and proud!

MD

MogenDavid on November 3, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Pelayo on November 3, 2008 at 7:11 PM

And I seriously doubt he knows the difference between short-term (35%) and long-term (can be as low as 0% for low-bracket taxpayers) capital gains.

Hal-9000 on November 3, 2008 at 7:20 PM

I was just saying to a friend how I didn’t think Obama actually understood what Capital Gains taxes were. What Menendez says in this tape is so scary, considering his ignorance, as to have me actually really, seriously, worrying for the future of America.

I think the “inexorable path forward” I’ve always depended on – Darwinian that I am – has decided that watching Oprah, and feeling all pain, a good place to tread metaphorical water in.

What I fear it might take to wake us up could be very hurtful to America… but I do have a tremendous faith in our Constitution and the fact that California recently booted a Dem and NY State did have GOP Gubenatorial leadership until just recently… when it lost all leadership, but I digress.

Shivas Irons on November 3, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Mark Garnett on November 3, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Spell check much?

peski on November 3, 2008 at 7:21 PM

What an idiot jackass. Why do these people hold any kind of office?

CP on November 3, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Pelayo on November 3, 2008 at 7:11 PM

yes I understood that. that was the point I knew what each were talking about and it sounded like they didnt understand each other. I listened to it again and payed attention to just menedez after someone stated he was trying to confuse the situation is obvious If you are looking for it. to which I stated sorry due to the fact I dont speak liberal.

CaptainObvious on November 3, 2008 at 7:22 PM

This guy’s not stupid. He hopes we are. I’ve argued with guys like that before. When you get them cornered they squirm out and go in another direction. Pretty soon they’re the victims.

WesTexan on November 3, 2008 at 7:22 PM

How the hell can Menendez not know that the top income tax rate in Obamaworld for anyone who dares make over $200,000 will be 39.6% (roughly 40)%.

Is Menendez an ignorant moron, or an abject liar?

Buy Danish on November 3, 2008 at 7:22 PM

by the way the whole middle class over 250,000 from a lib really makes it tough.

CaptainObvious on November 3, 2008 at 7:23 PM

What scares the *bleep* out of me, is that there are folks that know the difference between Capital Gains and Income Tax, yet *STILL* don’t see the problem with taking more from those who have more so that those with less will have more. I suppose that means that when those that have less now have more later, they will have to be heavily taxed so that those who used to have more can have more again and around and around we go. ….. I’m starting to get a headache.

GO McCain/Palin !

Duncan Khuver on November 3, 2008 at 7:23 PM

What an IDIOT!

All he could do was repeat, verbatim, the Obama campaign talking points. There was no intelligent back and forth on what the actual numbers were.

There was no, “Let me show you exactly how these numbers work” moment.

Screw the politically correct “Stay on Message” crapola. Have a dialogue. Communicate. Talk. Discuss. Debate.

Asking politicians questions is a waste of time.

SouthernRoots on November 3, 2008 at 7:23 PM

bloghooligan on November 3, 2008 at 7:17 PM

All the more reason to go to a Flat Tax

Hal-9000 on November 3, 2008 at 7:24 PM

Look, I love Cavuto, but does he know what the HELL he’s talking about?

Cavuto’s talking about 28% Capital Gains rate and asking Menendez about that and Menendez is talking about 20% Capital Gains rate (for people earning over x/year… allegedly $250,000)…

… then Cavuto is mixing up the current 35% top marginal federal INCOME TAX rate with the new under Obama top 39.6% INCOME TAX rate.

Cavuto looks like a fool!

Christoph on November 3, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Mark Garnett on November 3, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Thank-You & A-MEN!

christene on November 3, 2008 at 7:25 PM

“How the hell can Menendez not know that the top income tax rate”

Probably because the person who is asking about it keeps on calling it the capital gains tax.

Christoph on November 3, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Is Menendez an ignorant moron, or an abject liar?

Hal-9000 on November 3, 2008 at 7:26 PM

This whole Cavuto interview reminds me of this:

portlandon on November 3, 2008 at 7:26 PM

If “the One” is elected, this type of interview will be outlawed……………….. Neil will be sent to a re-education camp, and FOX News will be replaced by the ALL Obama Network.

Seven Percent Solution on November 3, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Cavuto will be my man after Brit Hume steps down. He is feisty enough to get in people’s faces but seems to actually have something to back it up. Unlike O’Reilly, who has too much “Bill O’Reilly” to wade through on each segment.

Mallard T. Drake on November 3, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Okay, fine, listening further Cavuto EVENTUALLY clarifies that he’s talking about Income Tax and Menendez doesn’t have anything useful to say…

… but Cavuto had confused the heck out of him by continually calling it Capital Gains tax which Menendez DID answer.

Cavuto = fail. Tonight.

Christoph on November 3, 2008 at 7:29 PM

You have to wonder what kind of people live in N.J. that would vote this fool into office? Anyone from N.J.that would care to tell us it would most helpfull.I realy not trying to insult people from that state but my God what a total fool.

thmcbb on November 3, 2008 at 7:30 PM

As long as the electorate is mired in stupidity (which they are), the Menendez’s of the world can merely repeat campaign talking points (which we will) until we all get nauseated. Most in the press refuse to make people accountable for what they say. Kudos to Cavuto and other FOX Newsies, including Meghan Kelly. Hate to see Hume go.

What really bugs me is all these senators and representatives that come from normal, ordinary backgrounds be freekin’ right on everything and wrong on nothing.

joeyb1955 on November 3, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Okay, so Obama now wants to cut capital gains taxes? ‘Cuz he was all for raising them in the primaries.

Did Charles Gibson convince The O that cutting them really does increase revenue? If so, maybe Gibson can remind him that cutting all marginal rates ALSO increaes revenue.

And I don’t think Menendez was playing dumb. I think he really was completely unprepared to talk about Obama’s overall tax increases.

Tuning Spork on November 3, 2008 at 7:32 PM

At the end, Menendez should have known half of Americans don’t pay tax.

Christoph on November 3, 2008 at 7:32 PM

I wish I could say I’m stunned but Menendez is his usual Stepfordian self- which makes him the prototypical Dem Senator. Another idiot who’ll be useful to Obama.

I enjoy Cavuto, and he is usually in control – I’m sorry to see him lose it somewhat like this, but, hey, he’s entitled. I was anxious to see Neil tease Menendez along as he usually does while baiting an adversary, then nailing them with hard facts. With Menendez, however, it was like having discourse with a clam.

Lamg1953 on November 3, 2008 at 7:35 PM