Video: Palin hammers Obama on coal

posted at 8:52 pm on November 2, 2008 by Allahpundit

A bullet pass aimed at the end zone in Pennsylvania and Ohio as the final few seconds tick away. Maverick threw his own long ball earlier today in Scranton:

“My friends, you know what Senator Obama said about a year ago, he said he had not been a, quote, coal booster,” he said, as the crowd booed. “My friends, I’ve been a coal booster and it’s going to create jobs, and we’re going to export coal to other countries and we are going to create hundreds of thousands of jobs. That’s going to help restore the economy of the great state of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Hey didn’t hitler and stalin think this way?

He thinks he can really do anything – he does. With his own power and will, he can fix it.” Mrs. Obama speaking about her husband.

unseen on November 2, 2008 at 11:09 PM

At least one state coal industry leader said he was shocked by comments Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama made earlier this year concerning his plan to aggressively charge polluters for carbon and greenhouse gas emissions.

unseen on November 2, 2008 at 11:13 PM

And he will have to have a draft because many, many military members will not re-up if Obama wins. You cannot trust a leftist with the military.

funky chicken on November 2, 2008 at 10:40 PM

I have spent the last two years getting our families debt down so that I could join the Army.I tried in 06 but could not afford the pay cut.Now I am 3 wks. away from 42 and have taken the physicals and exams to enlist.They say I am healthier than most 25 year olds but my hearing is bad.I have another test with a specialist Tuesday and if I don’t pass I am hoping for a waiver.If I get it my wife (daughter)and I will shut down our business and I will head
to 11 X-ray in Fort Benning Ga. for basic in Infantry at E3.
After Airborne training they said I could be in Iraq/Afghanistan maybe within 6 months (I hope).

Every Soldier I have talked to and contractor(Black water)
has stated that the sh!t is going to hit the fan in Afghanistan/Pakistan and Iran and we will be in Iraq at least 4 more yrs. no matter what Obama says.There will be a lot on the table and no time for appeasement.

Every Soldier and Contractor I have talked to during this process dreads an Obama Presidency.They know he is nothing but a liberal puppet pushing his “classroom foreign policy”
that will make the French seem neo-conservative.

Baxter Greene on November 2, 2008 at 11:15 PM

I wonder where Obama will place the reeducation camps for the unrepented capitalists? i’m thinking Utah. He will probalby just fence in the entire state.

unseen on November 2, 2008 at 11:08 PM

I see hard labor for the unrepentant, somewhere in Alaska, north of the Arctic circle (in a secret operation to extract oil for “scientific research”).

….Or, perhaps he would lease their labor somewhere on the Kamchatka peninsula.

The children of the “capitalists” would just continue to attend their local school districts.

Saltysam on November 2, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Saltysam on November 2, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Alaska will be where the people still use machines. And we will have to build a car in the garage and race across the country and Canada to get to safety. (that was a kick ass movie can’t remember the name of it)

unseen on November 2, 2008 at 11:22 PM

funky chicken on November 2, 2008 at 10:40 PM

I can speak to that. My dad got out of the navy when Clinton was elected. He said he wasn’t comfortable serving under a guy who had gone out of his way not to serve, at a time when his country needed him.

I like the Army too much to get out if Obama wins, though. Probobly because the Army is so much cooler than the navy.

BadgerHawk on November 2, 2008 at 11:22 PM

unseen on November 2, 2008 at 11:09 PM

Great. We would experience his humility collectively as a nation. Wonderful.

Saltysam on November 2, 2008 at 11:22 PM

(that was a kick ass movie can’t remember the name of it)

unseen on November 2, 2008 at 11:22 PM

It was the Last chance with Lee Majors here is the plot tell me it doesn’t sound like present day under Obama:

In a future United States, “the oil has run out” and all personal vehicles have been impounded by The Government. Franklyn Hart (Lee Majors), a former race car driver, decides to reassemble his race car hidden from confiscation, and sets out for “Free California Alaska” which has broken away from the new regime. He is aided by Ring (Chris Makepeace), a young technically savvy teen who feels alienated from this “social” society. Agents of the new government must stop Franklyn Hart at any cost to destroy what he represents, and the instability that such a desire for personal autonomy could mean to the society. An old Korean War veteran Captain J.G. Williams (Burgess Meredith) and his F-86 Sabre jet are called into service to chase down and destroy Franklyn Hart.

unseen on November 2, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Coal is key to a strong America.

Obama wants to bankrupt coal.

Undecided?

Not any more.

Saltysam on November 2, 2008 at 11:31 PM

The more time I hear The ‘Cuda speak, the more I know where my vote in 2012 is going. :)

(And we all know where it’s going day after tomorrow, too, but that’s a given.)

irishspy on November 2, 2008 at 11:38 PM

(And we all know where it’s going day after tomorrow, too, but that’s a given.)

irishspy on November 2, 2008 at 11:38 PM

she will only get better. I pray she doesn’t let the pollsters start picking her words for her.

unseen on November 2, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Why don’t they actually play the tape at this rally? I think it would be more effective if they were to do that.

tdavisjr on November 3, 2008 at 12:10 AM

unseen on November 2, 2008 at 11:22 PM

The Last Chase?
or

Death race 2000?

csdeven on November 3, 2008 at 12:41 AM

She’s a fine woman. Too bad she wants our troops to stay in Iraq and for us to bomb Iran. Otherwise, I’d be voting for her ticket.

MedSchoolCatholic on November 2, 2008 at 9:01 PM

That’s because she doesn’t want us to cause a civil war in Iraq where 1 to 2 million mostly civilians die, or Iran to nuke Tel Aviv and kill 1 to 2 million more. Besides, we don’t have to bomb Iran. Israel will do that IF they have to to avoid extermination.

Sapwolf on November 3, 2008 at 12:48 AM

Thanks for that story. Saw Frank Luntz (jerk) on Fox News saying “As Tampa goes, so goes Florida”. Of course he meant the 20 “undecideds” from Tampa he put in his Luntz room with his Luntz dials and said it was an Obama state, naturally.

Marcus on November 2, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Not if I can help it. Putting in a full day in Lakeland, FL tomorrow to win the I-4 corridor for Cain & Cuda.

Sapwolf on November 3, 2008 at 12:51 AM

holy crap. I got my first instapundit link :D :D :D

lorien1973 on November 2, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Way to go, Lorien!

techno_barbarian on November 3, 2008 at 12:57 AM

Cuda’s so hot, they should name a geyser after her.

Saltysam on November 3, 2008 at 1:20 AM

Ahh, the wonders of the modern age.

With but a few keystrokes, the largest coal producing regions in America can be found in charts and illustrated maps even an Obamabot can understand!

Here!

Gotta feeling folks in those places might be inclined to vote against a guy who wants to put ‘em out of work.

May even turn out in larger numbers than would’ve been expected for the express purpose of voting against him.

Note the large swath of purple on the map that covers eastern Ohio and western Pennsylvania and the rather large swath that covers most of western Missouri and a huge chunk of southern Iowa…

SuperCool on November 3, 2008 at 1:47 AM

Obama has recently announced that when he’s elected he will declare CO2 a “dangerous pollutant”http://wattsupwiththat.com/2008/10/16/obama-to-declare-carbon-dioxide-dangerous-pollutant/#more-3702 to be regulated by the EPA. This means every business, government, and even personal property decision will be subject to review and regulation, and to being held up or thwarted by lawyers from the tree-huggers. Even if he doesn’t jack up taxes on everyone and everything this will be sufficient to bring the economy to a halt.
There seems to be a lot of wishful thinking going about that Obama is not an ideologue, but merely a pragmatic opportunist in the Billy Jeff mold. Being an authoritarian socialist has always been sufficient reason for me to question someone’s intelligence, but even I don’t think all those radicals Obama worked with all these years are stupid enough to have been fooled onto promoting him if he really didn’t share their beliefs.

djaces on November 3, 2008 at 2:27 AM

holy crap. I got my first instapundit link :D :D :D

lorien1973 on November 2, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Congrats! You’ve arrived. Heh.

silverfox on November 3, 2008 at 2:37 AM

Hammer away, Palin!

Glenn Jericho on November 3, 2008 at 3:49 AM

People, people . . . please wake up, the core of this election is very simple. It is a struggle between the retention of a free market, capitalistic democratic society and the establishment of a Marist/communist state. Elect Obama and the Republic will disintegrate.

All Democrats may not be socialists or Marxists but they are “true believers” who are so obsessed with the thought of total power that they are willing to sell their souls to the devil . . . or anyone else that can give them what they desire.

rplat on November 3, 2008 at 7:30 AM

She’s a fine woman. Too bad she wants our troops to stay in Iraq and for us to bomb Iran. Of coure Otherwise, I’d never be voting for her ticket anyway.

MedSchoolCatholic on November 2, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Corrected that to what you really meant to say…

CC – BHO: “my Muslim faith”

CapedConservative on November 3, 2008 at 7:31 AM

Yep. McCain has no oppo research. The stupid tape was on the newspaper’s website all along. Nobody bothered to access it.

Hillary’s opp team sucked too, at least until Carville stepped in. That’s why it took Hillary until mid-March to find the Rev. Wright tape, even though it was FOR SALE on his website.

This is where blogs need to be more active… We have the collective power of millions to uncover and publicize this stuff, even when our candidate is too lame to find this crap himself.

Outlander on November 3, 2008 at 7:33 AM

rplat on November 3, 2008 at 7:30 AM

In my experience, most Democrats tend to fall into one of three categories:
1. People dependent on governmental largesse for their well being (e.g. government employees, beneficiaries of affirmative action and welfare);
2. Unionized workers; and
3. Ideological liberals — i.e., the democratic socialists.

Even in group (3), most are just well-meaning people who fall for the trope that an enlightened government can solve social problems if only it has sufficient funding. Obama, however, I think is a true democratic socialist. I expect him to govern like Hugo Chavez — who will probably be revealed to be another of Obama’s “mentors” after the election.

Outlander on November 3, 2008 at 7:39 AM

djaces on November 3, 2008 at 2:27 AM

The One’s stance on CO2 “pollution” is highly interesting- considering that the greatest single producer of CO2 on Earth is the exhaled breath of animals- including Man.

And that plants need CO2 intake as part of the photosynthesis cycle which produces O2 as a byproduct- which we breathe.

The only thing more stunning than The One’s hubris and narcissism is his seemingly total ignorance of basic science. Instead, he substitutes the trendy pseudosciences of the deep-ecology left with, from all indications, a heavy dose of plain wishful thinking as to what he can do once he is President.

I predict that an Obama Administration would be a hard and painful lesson in Cooper’s Third Law;

There is nothing more dangerous than absolute power in the hands of an idiot.

clear ether

eon

eon on November 3, 2008 at 7:43 AM

Too bad nobody except blog readers will see it. The MSM seems to have missed this again.

angelat0763 on November 3, 2008 at 7:55 AM

This was actually uncovered yesterday morning and the video was on the PUMA website HillaryClintonForum.net. As soon as they saw it, they jumped all over it aand started sending it to newspapers all over Coal states and to drudge and the campaign. It was amazing. What was even more amazing and encouraging was the level of enthusiasm over there to defeat “the fraud” as they call him who cheated Hillary. I had never visited that site until yesterday morning, but I was getting discouraged with the postings here and elsewhere and went there for the first time. I would encourage anyone to do so.

txmomof6 on November 3, 2008 at 8:05 AM

UMMMMMMM, so if we go into global cooling, coal plants and others will be given subsidies and tax breaks?

right2bright on November 3, 2008 at 8:08 AM

angelat0763 on November 3, 2008 at 7:55 AM

No they didn’t miss it, they buried it…they know perfectly well what Obama stands for, and they know the majority would never tolerate it.

right2bright on November 3, 2008 at 8:09 AM

what Palin missed (Hannity didn’t as we sent it there)

second part of Obama radio interview

his coal program will “skyrocket electricity prices”

heard it here first on hotair.com

good job guys

audiotom on November 3, 2008 at 8:27 AM

ColHogan on November 3, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Hannity mentioned hot air on Sunday. Great job folks!!!

kanda on November 3, 2008 at 8:51 AM

Hannity mentioned hot air on Sunday. Great job folks!!!

kanda on November 3, 2008 at 8:51 AM

And last night he, Hannity, took the glory. He may have
mentioned” it, but he certainly sat there and let them heap praise on him without reminding them that it was not he.
It stumbled out of his mouth, and then he started soaking up the praise.

right2bright on November 3, 2008 at 8:55 AM

Go Palin Go. The MSM-truly the enemy of the people.

americanpatriot on November 3, 2008 at 8:57 AM

Yippeee…..I have been waiting for ages to join Hot Air.
I am a proud bible, gun clinging, Republican Pennsylvanian
I aint bitter and I aint a racist.. in spite of what Murtha & Rendell say about us rural PA folk.

philly_PA on November 3, 2008 at 9:25 AM

Hooray for Hot Air and the Divine Miss MM!

Gov ‘Cuda makes a good point – why is this tape just now coming out? Some blame surely must go to the McCain folks on this…hopefully it’s not too late.

PeskyPurple on November 3, 2008 at 9:35 AM

Gov Palin!

The last great hope of sanity for Washington!
We shall overcome the hype of the libtards of the dumbacratic party.

hawkman on November 3, 2008 at 9:46 AM

The Obama bankrupt-the-coal-industry tape is being played on robo-calls from the McCain campaign in PA. Better late than never, but this could swing some votes in PA. It ain’t over yet!

Steve Z on November 3, 2008 at 9:56 AM

unfortunately Couric palin purposely destoyed Palin in the 2nd interview where if the interview went differently she could have help mc cain more with votes

rwoodward6 on November 3, 2008 at 10:08 AM

SuperCool on November 3, 2008 at 1:47 AM

Did you happen to notice the big blob that runs from Western Kentucky up through Illinois? Lots of coal in Illinois.

Oldnuke on November 3, 2008 at 10:13 AM

I’m confused. McCain and Obama agree on a cap and trade system for reducing carbon emissions and incentivizing cleaner/renewable energies. All Obama did was describe the economic repurcussions for a new coal plant built without any attempt to reduce emissions. My questions:
1. Why do McCain-Palin think people are not smart enough to recognize that they advocate the very plan they are criticizing now.
2. Does anyone here really believe there’s a difference between McCain and Obama on coal? Is the goal here to win on the strength of people not investigating that they have the same cap and trade proposals?

DeathToMediaHacks on November 3, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Kamchatka peninsula.

And they already have all of those lovely facilities!

oldleprechaun on November 3, 2008 at 10:23 AM

As a child I spent a lot of time with my grandmother, who lived in a Southern Illinois factory town which then had seven working mills. Coal was the fuel of choice, both in the factories and in home furnaces. Every surface in the town was always covered with “fly-ash”, a sticky black coal dust that came out of the factory smokestacks. It covered porches, porch furniture, windows, sills, sidewalks, grass, cars, everything, even the bushes. God knows what we breathed into our lungs. You could smell it more when the weather was cold. And, listen to this: I have seen, during surgery, the pink lungs of farmers and the black lungs of coal miners. Folks, does anyone really believe it would be good for us to go back to such times? And what is this notion that as Americans we are entitled to get everything we want, damn the cost?

Lilly on November 3, 2008 at 10:37 AM

A little nugget for Palinmania. I made this poster during the RNC but figured you guys would appreciate it. Seems like I’ve brought out all the nutjobs in the process.

Sarah Palin ’08!

lionofzion on November 3, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Coal baby Coal.
Entire towns exist because of coal employment.

McCain supports not only keeping coal around but expanding on coal technologies. Coal is used a hell of a lot of things. Look it up.

johnnyU on November 3, 2008 at 10:53 AM

I don’t think we should attack the messenger here or worry about the timing. That wastes valuable time. My dad was a coal miner. He fed his family of eight by digging coal. If Obama’s plan is to phase out coal, that’s not the issue for me. The issue is Obama’s timing on the phasing out of coal, not the Republican’s timing on breaking this news. Hundreds of thousands of families depend on coal. The average wage of a coal industry employee is approximately $66K (which is fairly good money in a coal state) and it’s the second most dangerous job in America according to the Labor Dept. These people work HARD at great risk and have few, if any, other options. An aggressive phasing out of the coal industry would be disastrous! I’m worried for them. On the bright side, we have McCain’s commitment to putting the energy issue at the forefront in much the same way that Kennedy prioritized the space program and McCain’s program is job-focused with a real concern for the environment being present, as well. Obama’s plan seems to be environment-focused, jobs be damned. Big difference!

gocatholic on November 3, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Obama’s “Energy Plan”

Inflate your tires to save 3-4% in oil.

Please ESPECIALLY notice O’s mention of expanding the electric grid! HELLO! WHERE DOES HE THINK THE ELECTRICITY FOR THAT GRID WOULD COME FROM?!!!

About McCain (2 governors a couple months ago) “They have ignored coal…”

Then one governor saying that by not building coal plants, you push the energy source to natural gas which is actually, according to him, FAR more likely to emit CO2.

So, no coal, no nuclear (as O says, “We don’t yet have the technology to store the waste” so it’s, according to him, not feasible now. No drilling. Nat gas will be next because when someone figures out the CO2 thing, that will be gone.

And yet, O is touting “expanding the electric grid”? Why? Because those lines are so gosh-darn pretty alone the side of the road?

UnderstandingisPower on November 3, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Lilly on November 3, 2008 at 10:37 AM

I live in China which is certainly dirtier than the US and burns a lot of coal. Why don’t I see this “fly-ash”? Could it be your story’s a bit dated?

I can tell you one thing, if Americans aren’t burning coal in America, the Chinese will be burning coal in America.

DarkCurrent on November 3, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Lilly on November 3, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Things have changed… ALOT !!
We’re the cleanest coal-burning nation on the face of the earth. They just re-hash the old fears, tapping into generations of stories and fears.

pambi on November 3, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Reason #8,256 why voting early is a bad idea.

threeCents on November 3, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Well, if this is true: “‘He thinks he can really do anything – he does. With his own power and will, he can fix it.’ Mrs. Obama speaking about her husband,” then how come he has achieved so little?

Why does he need political power to do anything if he’s got “his own power and will”? Why did he lack “his own power and will” to see that his constituents housing problems were taken care of adequately? Why did he lack “his own power and will” to get out of Wright’s church, instead of sitting and listening to America-hating and racist harangues masquerading as sermons? Apparently, Obama’s “own power and will” were fragile creatures incapable of stiffening his spine against wrong. Or, did his illusory “power and will” prevent him from recognizing the morally corrupt words and actions of those around him?

What we have is a megalomaniac, totally lacking in experience or demonstrable proof that he has achieved anything in life. Nevertheless, he believes he possess some ephemeral “power and will” through which he who has done nothing can do anything and fix anything. He could not fix his constituents housing problems, but we are to believe he can fix our economic problems.

Barack, I thought you’d stopped smoking weed and were no longer snorting coke? You have to be either smoking something or sniffing something to believe that you are some kind of god who can make things happen because you have “power” and you “will” it so.

Grow up, dude, get a life.

SilentWatcher on November 3, 2008 at 11:32 AM

I voted for McCain, but I really voted for Palin. Who says you don’t vote the bottom of the ticket? She is one hell of a politician. The First Dude is one lucky man.

Angry Dumbo on November 3, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Another blogger fav of mine noted that the liberal candidate is basically cutting his milk teeth on the US presidency. A baby just getting his teeth in also thinks he can do anything by his own power and will–no matter the issue, no matter the crisis that surfaces during the presidency, it is disturbing to realize that a large percentage of the population are poised to vote for the illuminati candidate that has no experience running anything.

stvee08 on November 3, 2008 at 11:49 AM

This is an issue that can definitely put Pennsylvania, Ohio, and West Virginia in the McCain column. With the soft economy, people will be reluctant to support any approach that will cost a lot of jobs.

Hawthorne on November 3, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Another blogger fav of mine commented that the liberal candidate is basically cutting his milk teeth on the US presidency. A baby just getting his teeth in also thinks that he can do anything by his own power and will–no matter the issues, no matter the crisis that arises during the presidency, it is disturbing to realize that a large percentage of the population are poised to vote for the illuminati candidate that has no experience running anything.

stvee08 on November 3, 2008 at 11:57 AM

It’s a great issue for Pennsylvania, if the media gets the story out. In the Philly area it’s getting no attention beyond talk radio. Could be too little, too late.

PA Guy on November 3, 2008 at 12:06 PM

So much new info in the last three days,but it has been having no effect on the Kool-Aid drinkers.

Scorp3j on November 3, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Oh yes, let’s make sure we vote for the guy who promises to bankrupt the coal industry. More people out of work and onto his welfare programs so he can justify taxing the ‘rich’…

BTW, what’s that level down to now, 120K?

NJMaire on November 3, 2008 at 12:31 PM

CNN pulled the video, I only get an error message, and that’s been happening for many hours now.

Brazilian Neocon on November 3, 2008 at 1:02 PM

I saw this last night in Hannity & Skelator…Hannity giving major props to MM for “breaking” this. I couldn’t understand how the talking heads kept saying it was probably too late to matter. TOO LATE??? Voting day is tomorrow if I’m not mistaken. Everyone has to spread this around!!

inldad0967 on November 3, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Oh you mean Hannity and FireMarshall Bill? lol.

Hey I just heard on ABC newsbreak about the coal comments. They covered it, and didn;t deny anything. They ended in saying the info has been out there for a year. uh, yeah, but its still out there ABC!

johnnyU on November 3, 2008 at 1:16 PM

“Exit question via the ‘Cuda: Why is the audio tape just now surfacing? Three cheers for the crack McCain oppo research team.”
As I said before, McCain is too far to the left on global warming to have taken BO on when it comes to coal…But beyond that there’s the obvious: the MSM, the Koolaid drinkers and the folks that just don’t care.
A Russian immigrant told us the other day on 760KFMB that he just came from a socialist system and he warned that once it’s in place, it’s almost impossible to replace Marxism lite.
Let’s pray nonstop…Oh, sorry, AP is not a believer. Well, I thank God for Allah anyway…Uh, that’s a joke, son.

Christine on November 3, 2008 at 1:26 PM

And will the MSM take up this story? No.

chiefeditor on November 3, 2008 at 1:37 PM

rwoodward6 on November 3, 2008 at 10:08 AM

unfortunately Couric palin purposely destoyed dusted up Palin in the 2nd interview

Fixed it for you, woodward. She’s still out there on the hustings, drawing crowds as big or bigger than Barry draws. Give my regards to Bernstein.

ManlyRash on November 3, 2008 at 1:43 PM

It might still be too late for PA to be won.

grantg on November 3, 2008 at 1:48 PM

This was said in January and it is just now being released. Of course the LA Times is still holding a tape of Obama at a dinner with individuals that call for the destruction of Israel. The MSM is very much in the tank for Obama. We won’t know who Obama really is until after he is elected.

SC.Charlie on November 3, 2008 at 2:35 PM

How do you respond to another persons post–I’m new

mainliner on November 3, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Is anyone else getting a “Malformed Error” message? It continues: “The video you are attempting to embed does not exist. Please check your URL and try again.”

I haven’t been able to see this particular CNN video since last night, though I have elsewhere on Youtube.

Cheers,
Victoria

Victoria on November 3, 2008 at 3:07 PM

For all of you who claim to despise “Marxist” or “Socialist” ideas, how many will refuse to cash their Social Security checks? How many have refused to ever apply for unemployment out of principle? How many refuse to give money to their church, which after all only plans to “redistribute” that wealth? How many refuse to work at soup kitchens or donate to food banks or send money to the Red Cross? The “Red” Cross!? Gasp! Commies!

The hypocrisy here is a mile think!

pm123 on November 3, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Or should I say a mile “thick”?

pm123 on November 3, 2008 at 4:10 PM

So much spinning, so much bullsh*t taking his words out of context…

The real quote:

“That will create a market in which whatever technologies are out there that are being presented, whatever power plants are being built, they would have to meet the rigors of that market and the ratcheted-down caps that are imposed every year. So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can. It’s just that it will bankrupt them because they’re going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that’s being emitted. That will also generate billions of dollars that we can invest in solar, wind, biodiesel, and other alternative energy approaches…

…But this notion of no coal, I think, is an illusion. Because the fact of the matter is, is that right now we are getting a lot of our energy from coal. And China is building a coal-powered plant once a week. So what we have to do then is figure out how can we use coal without emitting greenhouse gases and carbon. And how can we sequester that carbon and capture it. If we can’t, then we’re gonna still be working on alternatives.”

KEEP THE DESPERATE SPINNING SPINNING KIDS

Dave Rywall on November 3, 2008 at 2:12 PM

LOOK B4 YOU LEAP on November 3, 2008 at 4:19 PM

Sarah Palin’s wasteful ways
She poses as a fiscal watchdog, but when Palin was mayor, she grabbed city funds to give her office a pricey “bordello” makeover.

Editor’s note: You can find Salon’s complete coverage of Sarah Palin here.

By David Talbot

S S S RSS Print Email
Read more: David Talbot, Alaska, John McCain, Politics, News, 2008 election, Sarah Palin

AP Photo/Al Grillo

Sarah Palin in Anchorage, Alaska, Aug. 8, 2002. Palin was mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, from 1996-2002.

Sept. 17, 2008 | WASILLA, Alaska — Sarah Palin has been touting herself as fiscal watchdog throughout her political career. But Palin’s tenure as mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, was characterized by waste, cronyism and incompetence, according to government officials in the Matanuska Valley, where she began her fairy-tale political rise.

“Executive abilities? She doesn’t have any,” said former Wasilla City Council member Nick Carney, who selected and groomed Palin for her first political race in 1992 and served with her after her election to the City Council.

Four years later, the ambitious Palin won the Wasilla mayor’s office — after scorching the “tax and spend mentality” of her incumbent opponent. But Carney, Palin’s estranged former mentor, and others in city hall were astounded when they found out about a lavish expenditure of Palin’s own after her 1996 election. According to Carney, the newly elected mayor spent more than $50,000 in city funds to redecorate her office, without the council’s authorization.

Enjoy this story?

Buzz up!More Buzz up!

Digg

Facebook

StumbleUpon

Reddit

“I thought it was an outrageous expense, especially for someone who had run as a budget cutter,” said Carney. “It was also illegal, because Sarah had not received the council’s approval.”

According to Carney, Palin’s office makeover included flocked, red wallpaper. “It looked like a bordello.”

Although Carney says he no longer has documentation of the expenditures, in his recollection Palin paid for the office face-lift with money from a city highway fund that was used to plow snow, grade roads and fill potholes — essential municipal services, particularly in weather-battered Alaska.

Carney confronted Mayor Palin at a City Council hearing, and was shocked by her response.

“I braced her about it,” he said. “I told her it was against the law to make such a large expenditure without the council taking a vote. She said, ‘I’m the mayor, I can do whatever I want until the courts tell me I can’t.’”

“I’ll never forget it — it’s one of the few times in my life I’ve been speechless,” Carney added. “It would have been easier for her to finesse it. She had the votes on the council by then, she controlled it. But she just pushed forward. That’s Sarah. She just has no respect for rules and regulations.”

Carney, who comes from a long-established homesteading family in the area and once ran the city’s garbage collection business, has decided to speak out for the first time since Palin’s vice-presidential nomination. He is viewed as a longtime Palin gadfly, ever since he sided with her opponent in the 1996 mayor’s race. After Palin won, she froze out Carney, refusing to call on him at City Council meetings and deep-sixing his proposals. “That’s the way Sarah is,” Carney said. “She rewards friends and cuts everyone else off at the knees.”

Other local officials — who lack Carney’s acrimonious history with Palin — share his dim view of her mayoral reign. When Palin ran for mayor, she dismissed concerns about her lack of managerial expertise by saying the job was “not rocket science.” But after a tumultuous start, marked by controversial firings and lawsuits against the city, Palin felt compelled to hire a city manager named John Cramer to steady the ship.

“Sarah was unprepared to be mayor — it was John Cramer who actually ran the city,” said Michelle Church, a member of the Mat-Su Borough Assembly, who knows Palin socially. “As vice-president she’ll certainly have to rely on faceless advisors with no public accountability. Haven’t we had enough of that in the past eight years?”

Other officials in the borough government — the equivalent of county government in other states — point out that Palin actually had very little executive responsibility, since the borough oversees many of Wasilla’s vital functions.

“After all her boasting about her executive experience, what did she do?” asks a longtime borough official, who, like many in local circles, requested anonymity because of Palin’s reputation for vengeance. “The borough takes care of most of the planning, the fire, the ambulance, collecting the property taxes. And on top of that she brought in a city manager to actually run the city day to day. So what executive experience did she have as mayor?”

Palin does have two major accomplishments to her name as mayor: the by now highly publicized sports complex on the outskirts of Wasilla, which she pushed through city government, and the less well-known emergency dispatch center, which she also brought to her hometown.

The sports complex, however, is seen by many local officials as a budget-busting white elephant.

“I feel sorry for our current mayor, because of the mess that Sarah left behind,” said Anne Kilkenny, a respected government watchdog in Wasilla. “And the sports arena is still a money loser for the city.”

“Sarah was very focused on the sports complex,” said Wasilla council member Dianne Woodruff, who began serving after Palin’s tenure. “But somebody forgot to buy the land before they started building on it. Somebody dropped the ball. It was the fault of the people running the city at the time. As a result, we’ve spent well over a million dollars more than we should have. And we’re still paying for it.”

Today, the sports complex sits like a huge airplane hangar outside the Wasilla city limits, in a clearing in the woods. Since Palin’s administration decided to build the complex far from Wasilla’s population center, kids can’t walk there or ride their bicycles. On a recent, drizzly afternoon, the cavernous building sat nearly empty. Inside, two girls glided aimlessly around on the ice rink.

But the quiet arena still held Palin’s charged presence. A wall plaque commemorated Mayor Sarah Palin and her City Council for constructing the edifice. And on the walls, big, bold quotations urged young athletes to attempt impossible, Sarah Barracuda-like feats: “‘You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take.’ — Wayne Gretzky.”

Local officials are also highly critical of Palin’s decision to build an emergency dispatch center — even though Wasilla and nearby Palmer already shared the costs of an emergency operation for the Mat-Su Valley. As a result of the duplication, there are now two expensive operations for an area with 85,000 people, while the city of Anchorage, with a population of over 300,000, makes do with one emergency station.

“Don’t tell me about earmarks,” snorts a borough official. “Because of Palin’s ego, she couldn’t stand the idea of sharing an emergency dispatch operation with Palmer, which has been Wasilla’s town rival ever since her high school basketball days. So she ran to [Senator] Ted Stevens to get an earmark for her own system. Now we have two expensive emergency systems and both are losing money. She’s no budget cutter — give me a break. She’s just the opposite.”

Nick Carney, who is now retired in Utah, has a lot of time to ponder Sarah Palin’s rise these days. When he and his wife picked Palin to run for City Council in 1992, because they felt the council needed an average-mom type like her, Carney had no idea how far their protégé would soar. “It was a very casual process, she wasn’t even our first choice. We had known her since she was a girl, she went to school with our daughter. It wasn’t that she was the brightest thing on the horizon, a rising star or anything like that.”

But, in hindsight, Carney can see the qualities that have rocket-propelled Palin to where she is today.

“‘Sarah Barracuda’ — she’s proud of that name now, she uses it in her campaigns,” said her former mentor. “But she got that name from the way she conducted herself with her own teammates. She was vicious to the other girls, always playing up to the coach and pointing out when the other girls made mistakes. She was the coach’s favorite and he gave her more playing time than her skills warranted. My niece was on her team; she was a very good player. I used to sit there in the stands, and I would wonder, Why on earth is Sarah getting so much playing time?”

LOOK B4 YOU LEAP on November 3, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Oldnuke on November 3, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Yes, I did indeed, but I’m a realist on that score: no way, no how The Machine let’s their man lose in his home state. If the coalers in those areas had access to this info, vis-a-vis Obama on the coal industry, you’d probably see a record turn out from them, all voting against him, but then, all the more reason for the MSM to surpress it, yes?

That and The Machine probably has a contingency plan in the event that the coalers mobilize and look to be comming out strong for McCain, which, if history’s any indicator, involves the city of Chicago showing 500% turnout on election day, with felons, illegals, and the dead all throwing the lever for 0bama.

Some thought the ethynol opposition would be the big deal breaker for McCain in Iowa. Bet those Iowa coalers, and folks related to them, may reconsider if they heard the tape.

Still sticking with my prediction of McCain flipping PA.

I’ll be watching FNC, so I’ll only get to see Juan Williams jaw drop and Mort Condracke stammer like a fool when they call it for McCain, but I imagine there will be more, shall we say, severe, reactions elsewhere…(if Matthews’s head does, in fact, explode, will somebody please post the video? Ditto if Olberman swallows his tongue or Andrea Mitchell starts sobbing uncontrollably.)

SuperCool on November 3, 2008 at 4:52 PM

pm123,

You must be the one that’s thick if you can’t tell the difference between charity (voluntarily given by individuals), and taxation by a government.

Plus, if one has paid into the SS system, they should definitely not worry about getting their checks later (although they would have gotten a much higher return on their ‘investment’ if they had gotten to keep the money and invest it).

Personally, I’m not counting on any SS being left when my husband and I retire, so we are setting aside money now for the future. Yep, saving and planning ahead or as conservatives like to call it–personal responsibility. What a novel concept!

drflykilla on November 3, 2008 at 4:56 PM

I don’t blame anyone for cashing their Social Security checks. It’s money they’ve earned, and had deducted from their paychecks.

Unlike socialism and Marxism, giving to one’s church is voluntary, and dictated by one’s own conscience and not by government coersion.

Again, these are voluntary. Submitting to government-coerced wealth redistribution is not.

The hypocrisy here is a mile think!

A “mile think”? If you want real hyprocrisy, go to the left, where Michael Moore denounces Americans for not living in more integrated communities, as he lives in a place where the African-American population is zero, or Ted Kennedy, who denounces “big oil”, as he and his family earn millions from oil via mineral rights.

Bigfoot on November 3, 2008 at 5:01 PM

drflykilla:

Please explain to me the essential difference between taxation and charitable contributions. Don’t say that one is voluntary and the other isn’t, because that, of course, is nonsense. We the people pass the written laws that require taxation, just as we the people pass the unwritten laws that require charitable contributions. You’re not required to do either – but if you don’t, in one case you will be ostracized from society by being incarcerated, and in the other you will be ostracized from society by being labeled “un-Christian.” We must all be our brother and sister’s keepers, whether we do it on religious grounds or social grounds, no? All this nonsense about taxation being evil is ridiculous – taxes pay for the common good. Feel free to reject the use of electricity, roads, bridges, schools, the police or fire services, and the military, but I doubt that’s what you want to do.

pm123 on November 3, 2008 at 5:06 PM

One is voluntary.

Geochelone on November 3, 2008 at 5:13 PM

pm123: if you can’t tell the difference between public and private action, then you need to take another civics course, rather than hanging around on blogs.

If the people you hang around with ostracise you for not spending money, then find new friends. Fact is, you can find new friends, ignore the people who sneer at you, or do anything else to spend your money as you please, but the government takes money from you with the threat of jail if you don’t pay. There is nothing your church can do to take your money if you don’t want to give it. In fact, you can even leave that particular church and find a new place to worship if you don’t like their practises.

Your last sentence is a non-sequitor. There is a fundamental difference between using taxes for legitimate governmental purposes (i.e. gas taxes pay for road repairs) and for illegitimate ends (spreading the wealth). One is a function of a free government, the other is a function of a dictatorship.

Roxeanne de Luca on November 3, 2008 at 5:17 PM

ManlyRash on November 3, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I have always been a Palin supporter but the McCain Campain people handle her horriblely
Politics 101 do not let your opposition define you
By not having her do a press conference or letting Gibson
and couric rip her apart in the interviews they let the people in the media not just oblermann, matthews, maher but the entire CBS morning define her in an unfavorable way. she never overcame the bad interviews. She has had very bad
polls numbers since those interviews. If the outcome of those interview were different her polls #’s might be different

rwoodward6 on November 3, 2008 at 5:19 PM

Hmmm. I guess you folks aren’t reading what I said. They are BOTH voluntary. One is simply WRITTEN DOWN. We only pay as much taxes as we have agreed, as a society, to pay. Feel free to pass laws abolishing all taxes. It’s a very simple thing to do! I think you’ll find that we all know, of course, that taxes are an essential part of civil society – charitable contributions codified in writing so as to avoid as much confusion as possible. But feel free to convince your fellow Americans to stop levying taxes. Remind me who will pave the streets and teach the children and put out the fires and, dare I say it, fight the wars? Don’t forget that the majority of those taxes you gripe about are going to pay for the bullets and Humvees and air conditioning for our troops overseas. As for Social Security being money you’re “earned” – that’s nonsense – it’s a TAX on money you’ve earned!

pm123 on November 3, 2008 at 5:24 PM

If nothing in life is worth dying for, when did this begin–just in the face of this enemy? Or should Moses have told the children of Israel to live in slavery under the pharaohs? Should Christ have refused the cross? Should the patriots at Concord Bridge have thrown down their guns and refused to fire the shot heard ’round the world? The martyrs of history were not fools, and our honored dead who gave their lives to stop the advance of the Nazis didn’t die in vain. Where, then, is the road to peace? Well, it’s a simple answer after all.
You and I have the courage to say to our enemies, “There is a price we will not pay.” There is a point beyond which they must not advance.
Ronald Reagan
A video of hope for all to see.. If our people need strength, hope and resolve… This is the video to see… A masterpiece… only because the great communicator has blessed it’s screen… A must See!!!!

convative on November 3, 2008 at 6:00 PM

pm123 on November 3, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Your pathetic attempt to equate taxes that are imposed on individuals with the individual right to donate to a cause has already been answered twice.
Apparently you have the same dysfunctional mental imbalance that your buddy Biden who thinks j-o-b-s is made up of three words or your hero Obama who wants to be president of all 57 states of America so he can protect us from getting the bomb dropped on us like at Pearl Harbor.

I have never voted for or agreed to many taxes that I have to pay like gas,the 700,000 million bailout because of democrats being in the pocket of Fannie/Freddie,and paying for people who chose not to work for a living.

I chose as an individual to donate my time or money to a charity when I feel like it.period.

If you can’t seem to grasp this very easy to understand concept than please go back to your coffee shop with the rest of your idiot friends that said we could not win in Iraq,That Bush lied about pre-war intel(how’s that impeachment going genius),That Bush tore up the Constitution
with the Patriot act and NSA wiretapping(that your hero Obama voted for and many other super intelligent democrats)
and have fun in your Berkeley bubble.

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Democratic induced bailout was 700,000 billion,not million.
We have paid less than this to take out a terrorist regime and
free over 25 million people.
The bailout has done nothing but slow the bleeding from corrupt and idiotic financial corruption and race baiting that
allowed the Obama’s,Dodd’s,and Barney Frank’s to protect Fannie/Freddie,line their pockets with their money, while it bankrupts our economy.

Thanks super intelligent liberals.

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Come on – let’s try to have a civil, thoughtful debate. It’s no fun ranting and calling people names…

pm123 on November 3, 2008 at 6:37 PM

LOOK B4 YOU LEAP on November 3, 2008 at 4:32 PM

So I guess you will be leaping for Barack Obama?

ManlyRash on November 3, 2008 at 8:40 PM

pm123 on November 3, 2008 at 5:06 PM

You don’t pay much in taxes – do you?

bluejacket on November 3, 2008 at 9:08 PM