Video: McCain/Fey in ’08

posted at 11:30 am on November 2, 2008 by Allahpundit

From SNL, two Maverick cameos plus that Affleck goof on Olbermann that caused Krazy to krash the set on Friday. McCain’s fine, although the material’s predictably weak and both segments boil down to how badly he’s losing. Not sure why he’d want to participate in reminding people of that, but the “sad grandpa” line almost makes it worth it. Note the scattered boos among the cheers when he’s introduced. Stay classy, SNL fans.

The Olby skit’s intriguing not because it’s funny but because it’s brutal and runs unusually (and unnecessarily) long, as if they extended it just to bloody him up a little longer. Why Affleck and the producers, as lefties, would want to do that — especially to a colleague at NBC — isn’t clear to me. Maybe it’s revenge for crashing the set or maybe this sentiment has leached out of MSNBC and into the network proper. Or maybe he just said something nasty to Lorne at some point in the hall. Either way, feels like score-settling. Robert Cox might have solved the puzzle: “I’d say the Hillary supporters on SNL have finally had their revenge.”

Update: Geraghty wonders, did McCain cross the line by symbolically blessing the goofs on Palin?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I noticed McCain got his biggest applause when he introduced his collection of pork knives. Me thinks that’s the message he needs to stay on too.

Lincoln on November 2, 2008 at 1:17 PM

With 2 days left, there is no more staying on message. Now is the time to focus on getting people out to the polls. There are still many conservatives and Republicans who are sitting this one out. I don’t think Reps need the same gotv efforts as Dems but it would suck to have lost by a margin which could have been overcome by gotv efforts.

That is, of course, a purely anecdotal surmise.

The Race Card on November 2, 2008 at 4:41 PM

scrubjay on November 2, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Here, here. Showing their human side, including a light dose of self-effacing humor, has helped many a successful Presidential candidate; Jackson, Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, Truman, and let’s not forget Reagan.

McCain gains absolutely nothing by veiled slights to his running mate. He knows what he’s doing alright, including when he picked Sarah, which is why he’s getting my vote on Tuesday.

manwithblackhat on November 2, 2008 at 4:43 PM

I ahd a living room full of teenagers and they thought the Olbermann piece was hilarious. And they didn’t know who he was!

Common Sense on November 2, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Olby will now make a villain of SNL, just watch, they’ll be on par with Billo come Monday…..

Noneya on November 2, 2008 at 5:17 PM

I saw it last night, I thought it was hilarious and speaks well of McCain. Olbermann is such a low life that I can well imagine him hyperventilating over it.

Hilts on November 2, 2008 at 5:28 PM

With the exception of the indvertant grins, I think Affleck did a pretty good job of capturing Olbergoof’s perpetual outrage and incipient madness.

Jeffersonian on November 2, 2008 at 5:45 PM

It was cute when Cindy came out,and I liked that
McCain got some jabs in!

canopfor on November 2, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Affleck earned a bit of respect from me when he did that great Obly imitation, BUT as his moronic (ex?)friend, Matt Damon will not get a red cent from my household after his hysterical reaction to Sarah’s nomination.
McCain did fine, but Tina Fey sucked…she’s doin’ a bad imitation of a chick from Minnesota and her black lefty heart colors her countenance. She is a hollow hag next to Sarah, but then again, I’m just a little…BIASED.
God bless Lorne Michaels…I don’t care if he’s a HRC supporter, he’s helping to bring down Barry Whosane and i can’t thank him enough for that.

Christine on November 2, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Hilts: Olby probably cried himself to sleep…with his Precious Princess and his mom snuggled in next to him.

Christine on November 2, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Well done Sen. McCain!

RobertCSampson on November 2, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Rape Card

Manly is cheer leading against humorless pants pissers and Obama orcs planting astroturf in these last days of the election. I’m surprised that someone who considers them self and augur of the human soul could misunderstand his motives.

BL@KBIRD on November 2, 2008 at 8:24 PM

an not and

BL@KBIRD on November 2, 2008 at 8:25 PM

OMFG, the Olbermann bit had me in near tears. Brilliant!

Levinite on November 2, 2008 at 10:46 PM

It was cute when Cindy came out. . .
canopfor on November 2, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Cute? That woman looked like a million freakin’ bucks. Good heavens, she’s hotter than a tar roof in Arizona! Guys, she’s only 54; give her a little respect here.

smellthecoffee on November 2, 2008 at 11:00 PM

BL@KBIRD on November 2, 2008 at 8:25 PM

I seem to remember you telling me that I was delusional when I said, months ago, that BHO was a commie. You weren’t looking at all the facts and you aren’t now.

baldilocks on November 3, 2008 at 12:23 AM

baldilocks

Not sure what your post has to do with my post. Yes, you are right, Odinga is a communist. I remember I was more concerned with Islam gaining control of the coast under Odingas grant of sharia to the coastal Muslims. I believe I said you were wrong to dismiss the Islamic angle.

BL@KBIRD on November 3, 2008 at 10:50 AM

It would have been funnier if the “Worse Person in the World” was O’Reilly or something to do about Fox News. Since that’s all he talks about. About how bad his ratings are compared to O’Reilly’s. I read where Ben doesn’t like Bath Tub Boy very much. Maybe because he knows BSNBC is nuts.

ChiTownPizza on November 3, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Only that you have a tendency to jump into a fray swinging insults before you know what’s going on.

baldilocks on November 3, 2008 at 4:18 PM