Erica Jong: Obama defeat will bring civil war

posted at 10:30 am on November 1, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Normally, I’d ignore the rantings of the fringe, but Erica Jong sees herself as a replacement for Susan Sontag … which still makes her fringe, but noteworthy.  In an interview with Italian magazine Corriere della Sera, the Fear of Flying author makes the jump to public moonbat by predicting an armed struggle if Barack Obama loses the presidential election.  Why?  Because someone has to target the “Republican Mafia”, dagnabbit:

Basically, Jong says her fear that Obama might lose the election has developed into an “obsession. A paralyzing terror. An anxious fever that keeps you awake at night.” She also says that her friends Jane Fonda and Naomi Wolf are extremely worried that Obama will be sabotaged by Republican dirty tricks, and that if an Obama loss indeed comes to pass, the result will be a second American Civil War. …

“The record shows that voting machines in America are rigged.”

“My friends Ken Follett and Susan Cheever are extremely worried. Naomi Wolf calls me every day. Yesterday, Jane Fonda sent me an email to tell me that she cried all night and can’t cure her ailing back for all the stress that has reduces her to a bundle of nerves. … My back is also suffering from spasms, so much so that I had to see an acupuncturist and get prescriptions for Valium.”

And the #1 quote from Erica Jong?  The troop drawdown in Iraq has a secret purpose:

“If Obama loses it will spark the second American Civil War. Blood will run in the streets, believe me. And it’s not a coincidence that President Bush recalled soldiers from Iraq for Dick Cheney to lead against American citizens in the streets.”

I’d bold the more lunatic portions, but who can make that distinction?  Jong makes Truthers look almost sane.  (Almost.)

While I’m sure most of us fret constantly about the collective psychoses of Jane Fonda and Naomi Wolf, it’s difficult to see who Jong wants to impress with these statements.  If Jong is so obsessed, why isn’t she talking about this in America?  Why talk to the Italian magazine instead of getting involved to stop the Second Civil War?  I guess Jong’s commitment to democracy and her country consists of popping a few happy pills and seeing an acupuncturist.  What a patriot!

It could be worse, I guess.  Fonda could get Jong to travel to Pakistan in order to get photo ops of them operating Taliban anti-aircraft guns.

Speaking of which, by the way:  of whom does Jong’s rhetoric remind readers?  “Blood will run in the streets.”   Sounds like an echo of 1960s radical terrorists like, oh, the Weather Underground.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

This has been an interesting read. But if I might interject one teeny tiny detail. Some of those baby boomers and small town people some of you are ripping on?…. they are Vietnam vets, Korean vets who saw combat and are just a bit P.O.’d…. so the ernesto’s of the world….. make our day!….. just saying….. I know at my USMC League meetings, we may be older, but we haven’t lost a bit of the razor’s edge. Be warned. This could be fun, folks!

MNDavenotPC on November 1, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Come the civil war we’re going to be so glad for the all volunteer army. Not many leftists there, they’ll be with us.

Buzzy on November 1, 2008 at 5:02 PM

So will the Obamalution be U-Tubed?

Idiots…why are they all idiots?

Earlg on November 1, 2008 at 5:31 PM

The United States of America is going to weather this storm and many more.

Hey, America Haters!

F*ck off.

Really.

. . Sinecerely,

. . hillbillyjim

hillbillyjim on November 1, 2008 at 5:35 PM

gimme back my “e.”

hillbillyjim on November 1, 2008 at 5:36 PM

She’s off her meds. – Dave Rywall on November 1, 2008 at 4:48 PM

What’s up, Dave?

ManlyRash on November 1, 2008 at 5:48 PM

Jane Fonda, a true American traitor, is kept awake at night by THIS.

Glynn on November 1, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Moonbat soup, anyone?

HornetSting on November 1, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Moonbat soup, anyone? – HornetSting on November 1, 2008 at 5:57 PM

*sniffing* Mmmmmmm…smells delicious.

ManlyRash on November 1, 2008 at 5:59 PM

*sniffing* Mmmmmmm…smells delicious.

ManlyRash on November 1, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Stuffed them with garlic, soaked in buttermilk, and served with a side of grilled onions. Soup IS good food.

HornetSting on November 1, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Is Dave still crying because he still lives in Canada?

HornetSting on November 1, 2008 at 6:01 PM

This civil war talk is kind of silly. (Fun to talk about, maybe, but really pretty silly.)

It isn’t going to happen.

If Obama loses, a few thousand people will trash and loot inside their own neighborhoods. A few symbols of ‘the white man’s greed’ outside of those neighborhoods will be vandalized, a few little old white ladies and men in suits will be roughed up.

A few looters will get shot.

If McCain looses, we conservatives will spend a few days in anger and depression, then get on with business as usual; feeding our families, trying to figure out how to protect our 401Ks and other retirement nest eggs from Barney Franks and Pelosi.

The Second American Civil War will be the real example of “What if they gave a war and nobody came”.

And America will go out with a whimper, instead of a bang. (Unless Russia, Pakistan, Iran or China provide the bang.)

LegendHasIt on November 1, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Wait a second… don’t hippies and leftist hate guns? This would be a very short, and un-civil war. Even the libertarian militia types aren’t so wacky…. and doing it in a foreign country no less…

BadBrad on November 1, 2008 at 6:09 PM

3. As far as your “fighting abilities” go you can have your gangbangers, academics who would make weewee in their pants and your “brave” protesters. We have hunters and regular folks who would stand at their gun lockers and pick out the weapons and ammo to use as if they were selecting a wine for dinner. We actually hit what we shoot at, too. It would be open season-no limit.

Nahanni on November 1, 2008 at 4:24 PM

very good post!! oh yeah I’ve been stocking up on ammo lately….I’m one of those ‘bitter’ clingy types!!

make our day blue devils…..

right4life on November 1, 2008 at 6:18 PM

LegendHasIt on November 1, 2008 at 6:07 PM

absolutely…obama will surrender as quickly as possible…even join them…Israel will stand alone….or almost alone… ;-)

right4life on November 1, 2008 at 6:19 PM

This is a stupid post and stupid comments follow .. carry on .

redrock on November 1, 2008 at 6:20 PM

rhis is a stupid post and stupid comments follow

and yours is included.

right4life on November 1, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Talk of war amongst Americans is unamerican.

silverfox on November 1, 2008 at 6:39 PM

This is a stupid post and stupid comments follow .. carry on .

redrock on November 1, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Thank you, dear leader of all that is enlightened. Do you volunteer for the light worker?
We are conversing here. If you don’t like it, go to another thread or to Kos. Plenty of nuttiness there for you to snark at.

HornetSting on November 1, 2008 at 6:40 PM

This is a stupid post and stupid comments follow .. carry on. – redrock on November 1, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Hornet is a lady and therefore she is polite.

I’m neither a lady nor am I polite.

F*ck off, asshole.

ManlyRash on November 1, 2008 at 6:45 PM

I sometimes think that Liberals are like Radical Muslims, they don’t get their way and they want to riot. Everything that does not go their way becomes an outrage.

While voter fraud is going on across the country for Obama through the works of ACORN, if McCain wins, I guarantee, so one will blame those poor voting machines and there was some GOP conspiracy.

And when Obama’s administration fails, they will continue to blame President Bush.

mindhacker on November 1, 2008 at 6:46 PM

F*ck off, asshole.

ManlyRash on November 1, 2008 at 6:45 PM

Well said, Manly. Did you scare the kiddies with your rash costume last night?

HornetSting on November 1, 2008 at 6:46 PM

carry on.

redrock on November 1, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Well said, Manly. Did you scare the kiddies with your rash costume last night? – HornetSting on November 1, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Actually, I went out as Jack Murtha. Basically I wrapped my naked body in bacon and called the neighbors ignorant racist assholes. They pelted me with eggs and tried to set me on fire to make the bacon crisp.

Two hours and a second degree burn later, I soaked in a tub of cold water, content that Jack the Boor would lose on November 4.

How was YOUR Halloween?

ManlyRash on November 1, 2008 at 6:53 PM

How was YOUR Halloween?

ManlyRash on November 1, 2008 at 6:53 PM

Racist bacon, you PorkChop, I love it!

HornetSting on November 1, 2008 at 6:55 PM

I dragged my carcass up and down, still hurting, and gave out candy to the kiddies. Lot’s of older kids..just told them not to steal my Palin signs. They survived, thank goodness. – HornetSting on November 1, 2008 at 6:55 PM

For some reason when I picture you, I picture Holly Hunter. No offense…that’s meant as a compliment.

ManlyRash on November 1, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Make Erika Jong’s day – vote McCain/Palin.

p.s. read every line

Entelechy on November 1, 2008 at 7:00 PM

ManlyRash on November 1, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Never been saddled with that one, but I love her style. She’s a wicked mean girl when she wants to be.

HornetSting on November 1, 2008 at 7:01 PM

So what’s the problem?

entagor on November 1, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Yeah, that will happen anyway. Let’s just hope they stay and burn in their own neighborhoods, because if they come into mine, they’re gonna be full of bulletholes.

HornetSting on November 1, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Entelechy on November 1, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Good to hear from the West Coast, E. Haven’t crossed fiber-optic wires with ya lately…Greetings and Salutations from the Appalachians! Going to do my reading assignment now…

hillbillyjim on November 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Dear hillbillyjim, greetings back to you. It’s very hard these days, and often best for me not to comment.

I count on my country to remain apart and not lemming-like. Appalachians will do their part. You will for sure. Hope you like the article. Best always,

Entelechy on November 1, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Going to do my reading assignment now…

hillbillyjim on November 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Thanks, Entelechy. Good link.

hillbillyjim on November 1, 2008 at 7:32 PM

E, have you seen the John Stewart interview with Jesus Christ Barack Obama? The last bit about change is very telling and very chilling, message discipline be damned.

hillbillyjim on November 1, 2008 at 7:37 PM

“Armed struggle”??

Excuse, which side of it has most of the believers in- and practitioners of- the Second Amendment? What on earth would the military be needed for?

michaelo on November 1, 2008 at 7:43 PM

hillbillyjim on November 1, 2008 at 7:37 PM

My question is this:

Exactly what kind of change does His Farking Greatness have in mind that requires us to be in crisis mode in order for him to implement?

hillbillyjim on November 1, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Make Erika Jong’s day – vote McCain/Palin. p.s. read every line – Entelechy on November 1, 2008 at 7:00 PM

WOW. This link has the official Manly Rash Seal of Approval. Read it. Believe it. Vote it.

ManlyRash on November 1, 2008 at 7:50 PM

That’s just an excuse so the old bag can get sotted every night.

John the Libertarian on November 1, 2008 at 7:53 PM

“……….Yesterday, Jane Fonda sent me an email to tell me that she cried all night and can’t cure her ailing back for all the stress that has reduces her to a bundle of nerves.”

BBBBBWWWWWWWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA……………

Seven Percent Solution on November 1, 2008 at 8:02 PM

BBBBBWWWWWWWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA……………

Seven Percent Solution on November 1, 2008 at 8:02 PM

Hope the pain kills her. F’ing Traitor B*tch.

HornetSting on November 1, 2008 at 8:07 PM

HornetSting on November 1, 2008 at 7:08 PM

wow! I like girls with guns…more danger, more fun!!

right4life on November 1, 2008 at 8:16 PM

How was YOUR Halloween?

ManlyRash on November 1, 2008 at 6:53 PM

too funny!

right4life on November 1, 2008 at 8:19 PM

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!!!!

grtflmark on November 1, 2008 at 8:20 PM

Hope the pain kills her. F’ing Traitor B*tch.

HornetSting on November 1, 2008 at 8:07 PM

Can you just imagine the screaming, snarling, thrashing about, vile, putrid, homicidal, insane, erratic, running in the streets with hands in the air, heads exploding with hate when Sen. McCain and Gov. Palin win the Presidential Election of 2008?

Seven Percent Solution on November 1, 2008 at 8:33 PM

Seven Percent Solution on November 1, 2008 at 8:33 PM

I am going to SAVOR it, Seven. I want to see Matthews with that tingle down his leg…no, that’s no tingle, it’s urine, meanwhile, Olbermann’s head will explode!

HornetSting on November 1, 2008 at 8:52 PM

Not buying the civil war bit, my area is not conducive to such. I will however, just repeat what I’ve always said–if you have untoward designs, I’m right here where I’ve always been, 20 rounds up the driveway.

irongrampa on November 1, 2008 at 8:56 PM

Well I guess they will keep trying to intimidate us till we are all converted or re-educated. Maybe instead of trying so hard to implement their doctrines, they might spend their efforts to look for another country that meets their needs. They would be better off and expend less energy, therefore also leaving a smaller carbon foot print. They would leave all us who are un-ashamed of the United States of America and it’s roll in the world isolated in one spot. They could assail us from afar with out fear of reprisal and we could get back to un-unashamedly being the country we once were. Oh well I can dream.

N4646W on November 1, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Don’t hippies and leftist hate guns?

BadBrad on November 1, 2008 at 6:09 PM

it not that they hate guns, its that they don’t want you to have guns.

they cherish state provided protection.

AZ_Redneck on November 1, 2008 at 9:40 PM

And what does a Socialist win bring?

allrsn on November 1, 2008 at 9:50 PM

LegendHasIt on November 1, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Remember Sharpton has called for a race riot and Obama has suggested it, so now a civil war is expected by yet another socialist.

I have posted before and post again- the socialists are cutting loose this election, they no longer try to hide their corruption. This election is for all, they will stop at nothing and yes that includes deadly riots.

Remember their recient history and reconize how little value they put in the lives of others. Hints: Reid, Murtha, Polosie, Waters and more.

allrsn on November 1, 2008 at 9:57 PM

All McCain ads are FULL STEAM AHEAD: Check-out the new ads from LET FREEDOM RING at

Let’s ELECT John McCain … Commander-In-Chief of the United States.

AdrianS on November 1, 2008 at 10:54 PM

…the socialists are cutting loose this election, they no longer try to hide their corruption.
allrsn on November 1, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Oh, no argument there. I live in NM, and it is so blatant here, that you would think it was ‘Old’ Mexico or ‘ChaVezuela’.

…. they will stop at nothing and yes that includes deadly riots.

Yes, but my point is that they tend to riot in their own neighborhoods and kill their own. The Police and National Guard will just cordon them off, let the fires burn themselves out, and the riots will wind down when the liquor runs out and the electronics stores are empty.

LegendHasIt on November 1, 2008 at 11:28 PM

All I can say is that Ms Jong and her ilk will no doubt sit it out somewhere in France.

The rest of us who want to see a better future will participate in securing that future.

JEM on November 2, 2008 at 1:42 AM

Conservatives aren’t the only ones with guns or good aim.
Marxists and leftists believe in armed struggle, and could find temporary common cause with anarchists, gangbangers, and maybe even jihadis. The threat of civil unrest, which most of us translate as urban ethnic rioting and looting, could come to pass with a McCain win, but it could be worse than 3 days of fools burning down their own neighborhoods.
Never underestimate those who oppose freedom.

OneEyedJack on November 2, 2008 at 3:14 AM

Who would actually scared of this?
Republicans are clinging to their guns and bibles.
Democrats are clinging to their flowers and elk.
Gee let me think who would win here…

scrubbiedude on November 2, 2008 at 7:50 AM

Never underestimate those who oppose freedom.

OneEyedJack on November 2, 2008 at 3:14 AM

After the three days, let them come. I’m ready.

I own 130 acres, well positioned and easily protected. Even have my own shooting range in the backyard. The retired LEO I visited yesterday has a 500, 1000 and 3000 yard range with an elaborate shooting bench buit on his deck, next to the barby. LOTS of practice goes on around here.

Population of this township is less than one person per square mile, so any outsider intent on mischief is easily and immediately identifiable. This area probably has an armed-home percentage approaching 90%.

So, after I vote on Tuesday I will just sit, and watch, and wait.

BTW, the first one that would get taken out is the thug who holds his handgun sideways, like in the movies, and points it in my direction. But little likelyhood of any of this happening. Libs and Dems are mostly all about talk and taxes.

Yoop on November 2, 2008 at 9:17 AM

N4646W, what’s an SHU-40B?

DarkCurrent on November 2, 2008 at 11:03 AM

N4646W, what’s an SHU-40B?

DarkCurrent on November 2, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Interesting, my tail number has been reassigned.

N4646W on November 2, 2008 at 11:58 AM

My problem with the riots is that we will be expected to pay for the rebuilding.

cobrakai99 on November 2, 2008 at 1:25 PM

She’s insane. I saw an interview with her on one of those E! shows and she said George Bush was a dictator. I just hope that if Obama loses they follow through on their promise this time and LEAVE. Bye-bye! You won’t be missed, Jong, you dried up old hack. But if there is a civil war, guess who will lose? Not our side.

foxforce91 on November 2, 2008 at 12:53 PM

cobrakai99 on November 2, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Well thats a given, how else are they to improve their lot.

N4646W on November 2, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Pictured for your amusement – a portrait of a scank

Kini on November 2, 2008 at 4:47 PM

If Obama loses it will spark the second American Civil War.

OK.

jaime on November 2, 2008 at 8:19 PM

The armed struggle of revenge after an Obama defeat will burn itself out in short order. The armed struggle to defend the constitution in the event of an Obama victory will be more bloody, violent and, hopefully, effective. It may depend on what side the military stands. Obama would be the current commander-in-chief, but the constitution is preeminent. As I recall, when I joined up at seventeen, my pledge was to that constitution, not to Nixon.

SKYFOX on November 3, 2008 at 6:30 AM

Thomas Sowell is so correct: When very well educated people are very competent in one area of their lives, they often make the mistake of believing they are competent in all other areas. Erica Jong is a shining example of this phenomenon. What a lunatic!

hogger03 on November 3, 2008 at 9:17 AM

Man, I just bought a new truck and I work in the inner city. I’m thinking I may have to call in sick on the 5th. I do NOT want the paint scratched!

rollthedice on November 3, 2008 at 11:51 AM

I will keep my bullets dry and my guns greased. we will be ready for them

tocoloro on November 3, 2008 at 12:55 PM

“Yesterday, Jane Fonda sent me an email to tell me that she cried all night and can’t cure her ailing back for all the stress that has reduces her to a bundle of nerves.”

Perhaps she should try another Chinese secret to pain relief, it’s called “Eat a Peanut”. Drug free and no side effects AT ALL!

I’m told this is 100% effective for pain relief

DSchoen on November 3, 2008 at 1:13 PM

“The record shows that voting machines in America are rigged.”

Goo Goo Mushheads
Uhm what “record”?

If an EVIL Rep had the ability to access the codes and manipulate the data of “Diablod” machines would they

A. Use this ability to “rig” an election

OR

B. Use this ability to “rig” alter and access MILLIONS of bank accounts without ever being detected.
Diablod makes the ATM’s we all use.

DSchoen on November 3, 2008 at 1:16 PM

LOL. Most liberals couldn’t whip their way out of a wet paper bag much less know anything about the use of firearms. If blood runs in the streets, it’ll be theirs.

TrickyDick on November 3, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Why is there an old picture of Liberace attached to this article?

Lifter on November 3, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Why is there an old picture of Liberace attached to this article?

Lifter on November 3, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Funny. Very, very funny.

Actually, my favorite part of the article was her claim that she had received an e-mail from Jane Fonda, saying that Jane had stayed awake and “cried all night” because of concern that the polls were close!

Please, tell every friend and acquaintance you have that if John McCain is actually elected, Jane Fonda will lay awake and cry all night . . . for four long years!

Judges all over the country will have to order that polls remain open until Thursday or Friday in order to accomodate the swelling crowds!

Trochilus on November 3, 2008 at 2:30 PM

As a Korean war era vet. I am having trouble with the present day media. What is so wrong with the U.S.A. People from all over the world are trying every way they can think of to enter our country. WHY CHANGE SOMTHING THAT WORKS / WHY REINVENT THE WHEEL ?

windy on November 3, 2008 at 2:42 PM

I’m with you TrickyDick! My entire family knows how to use what’s in the safe and if liberals want to “get down”, we’ll gladly put em in their place!

hogger03 on November 3, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Poor old duck. The worry hasn’t half made her eyes cross.

Victoria on November 3, 2008 at 3:09 PM

What planet are these people from?

G. on November 3, 2008 at 3:11 PM

I have never been a survivalist afficianado and I don’t think I’m paranoid, but I am worried about the possibility of a grave aftermath to this election. Everything appears to be too tidy not to have been orchestrated. Gas goes sky-high for no apparent reason. Economy collapses in days without any obvious precipitating factor, placing the government in de facto control of the entire economy. Truly, if someone wanted to set up a situation where we were one short step away from unprecedented political violence and martial law, he could scarcely come up with a better scenario than having Obama as President.

Has anyone else been thinking this, or is it just me?

Venusian Visitor on November 3, 2008 at 3:54 PM

fine, let them revolt, we will keep our bullets dry and our guns well greased. We will be well prepared for them.

tocoloro on November 3, 2008 at 4:07 PM

What’s surprising about this is why anyone would ever think to ask Erica Jong her opinion about anything? Put her on some anti-psychotics, I hear they help with delusions. Give Jane Fonda a double dose.

scalleywag on November 3, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Yep, I’m all set in that department – it’s the people who can’t defend themselves that I’m worried for. :(

Venusian Visitor on November 3, 2008 at 4:17 PM

OMG, is THAT what she looks like?? GAG!

Spanglemaker on November 3, 2008 at 5:17 PM