Video: Freddy’s back

posted at 6:51 pm on October 31, 2008 by Allahpundit

An open thread for Halloween starring the villain of one of the most overrated horror movies ever made. Take the “Friday the 13th” series, swap out the hockey mask and machete for a fedora and claw o’ daggers, retain all the dopey, formulaic scenes of butchery, and you’ve got “Nightmare.” What’s the fascination, seriously? How is it in the same ballpark as, say, “Evil Dead 2,” let alone the same zip code as Romero’s (early) zombie movies?

I do dig this reimagining of Freddy, though. He’s like a “Seinfeld” character who happens to mutilate people in their dreams. Newman, basically.

See more funny videos at Funny or Die

Comments

What’s the fascination, seriously?

Dude…he gets you in your dreams

YOUR DREAMS MAN…theres no escaping that. Any time you shut your eyes you could be in for some campy insane death that Jason, being bound at least somewhat by the laws of physics, could never give you.

ernesto on October 31, 2008 at 6:55 PM

FREDDY,

Might be an Obama supporter!

Exhibit “A” for evidence!The Claws!

Extra-long claws for scooping more hard earned
tax payer money from already over-burdened hard
working American’s!!!!:)

canopfor on October 31, 2008 at 6:56 PM

One, two, Freddy’s coming for you…

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 31, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Funny or Die?

Yup, it died

Kini on October 31, 2008 at 7:00 PM

That was funny. Of course Freddy would only be out of hell or jail or whatever under an Obama administration.

Vote John McCain. He’ll keep Freddy from killing your kids in their dreams and keep Obama from becoming your worst nightmare.

Guardian on October 31, 2008 at 7:01 PM

Guardian on October 31, 2008 at 7:01 PM

LMAO +1

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 31, 2008 at 7:05 PM

Pretty much designed to be the kind of horror movie that gives you nightmares, no?

Maybe you had to be the right age when the first one came out… the later ones were increasingly tongue-in-cheek, but the first one was pretty scary, if you were in your early teens.

Re: Evil Dead 2 -

Unfair comparison. Comedic horror is a totally different genre.

ClintACK on October 31, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Simple: Freddy talks. Jason, Leatherface, Michael Myers and most of the rest just grunt. Freddy is charismatic – you watch as much for the one-liners as the slashings. I once heard it described as a horror movie for anyone under 14, and a comedy for anyone over 14.

Number 2 on October 31, 2008 at 7:06 PM

is that Freddy Cruger or Freddy Mac? I am confused. To me they are both equally scary.

cobrakai99 on October 31, 2008 at 7:10 PM

ernesto on October 31, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Freddie doesn’t get in your dreams, ernesto.

I do. McCain for the win. Nighty nite…

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Voter Fact:

Obama has voted over 40 times to allow Freddy in any
neighborhood!

Obama has voted 18 times to stop parents from
allowing there children the De_DREAM ALOTOR,
which would block out Freddy’s ability to reach
your children’s dreams!!!!

Its UNCONSCIENABLE!!(Snark!) haha.

canopfor on October 31, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Nothing is in the same ballpark as Evil Dead 2.

BadgerHawk on October 31, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Number 2 on October 31, 2008 at 7:06 PM

The clossest I have been to Nightmare… is that Will Smith song, which suddenly makes sense after reading the above.

Count to 10 on October 31, 2008 at 7:18 PM

One, two, Freddy’s coming for you…

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 31, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Three, four, better lock the door…..
Because Grue is going to come in and use your grill to cook up a mean batch of moonbat. I hear moonbat on Holloween is especially tasty.

HornetSting on October 31, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Nothing is in the same ballpark as Evil Dead 2.

BadgerHawk on October 31, 2008 at 7:14 PM

I only saw Armies of Darkness.

Count to 10 on October 31, 2008 at 7:20 PM

KLAATU BARATA NIKTO

Somebody had to say it.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 31, 2008 at 7:20 PM

HornetSting on October 31, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Moonbat pumpkin pie. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 31, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Guardian on October 31, 2008 at 7:01 PM

You’ve got it all wrong.

Obama destroys all our dreams. It’s not because he wants to spread the wealth. It’s because he wants to keep us safe from Freddy.

JadeNYU on October 31, 2008 at 7:24 PM

Moonbat pumpkin pie. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 31, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Don’t forget the ice cream, with little bits of moonbat. Delightful.

HornetSting on October 31, 2008 at 7:24 PM

No, Obama already put out his horror movie…it’s titled “The Obama Tax Plan….I am coming to suck your wallet out of your pants….”

HornetSting on October 31, 2008 at 7:25 PM

“I have to tell you. Freddy is a decent person and a person you don’t have to be scared of as president of the United States or in your dreams. He’s a decent family man and citizen.”

John McCain

CanadianGuy on October 31, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Moonbat pumpkin pie.Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Grue in the Attic on Oct 31,2008 at 7:22PM.

Grue in the Attic: Grue,yer killin me,wait till you bite
into the Moonbats!!!Ha Ha:):)

canopfor on October 31, 2008 at 7:26 PM

KLAATU BARATA NIKTO

Somebody had to say it.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 31, 2008 at 7:20 PM

But didn’t…and thus the army of darkness.

Count to 10 on October 31, 2008 at 7:30 PM

suck your wallet out of your pants…”

HornetSting on Oct 31,2008 at 7:25PM.

HornetSting: And in the case of ‘Joe the Plumber’,
the American dreams as well!!

canopfor on October 31, 2008 at 7:30 PM

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 7:10 PM

ernesto on October 31, 2008 at 7:35 PM

ernesto on October 31, 2008 at 7:35 PM

So, whats you delusion?
Because clearly, you are not fully interacting with reality.

Count to 10 on October 31, 2008 at 7:46 PM

Actually well acted but just not enough of a script.

Mojave Mark on October 31, 2008 at 7:53 PM

McCain for the win would be a minor dissappointment, nothing too big tho…now PALIN for the win…thats way worse than freddy – ernesto on October 31, 2008 at 7:35 PM

At what point, I wonder, will you be coming out in full astroturfer mode? Tonight? Tomorrow? Sunday? Do let us know.

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 7:57 PM

A couple of thoughts:
- NOTHING is in the same zip code as Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead.
- Day of the Dead, however, was a severe let-down. MOST things are in the same zip code as this one.
- The hokey-ness of the later installments of A Nightmare on Elm Street seriously detract from the greatness of the first one. The first film is one of the top ten best/scariest films ever made.
- I’ve seen Evil Dead 2. I LIKE Evil Dead 2. I have Evil Dead 1, 2 & 3 (Army of Darkness) on DVD. But Evil Dead 2 is NOT in the same league/’zip code’ as the original Elm Street.

Religious_Zealot on October 31, 2008 at 8:09 PM

Freddy’s like Obama if the latter had had an actual accomplishment and a sense of humor.

eaglewingz08 on October 31, 2008 at 8:12 PM

I agree Religious Zealot that the first Nightmare was the best of the lot and in the top ten of scary movies. Night of the Living Dead in the top three.The sequels had nowhere to go but down.

eaglewingz08 on October 31, 2008 at 8:14 PM

I actually liked the first Nightmare also. Being from a small town, we never got to the movies much so I never saw it in the theatres, just on television.

Halloween’s almost done here in Southern Ontario across from Detroit, Michigan. Nice weather this year – about 50 degrees or so. And about 150 kids. No Freddie costumes though.

Canadian Infidel on October 31, 2008 at 8:23 PM

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 7:57 PM

I wont. Im middle of the road man…i made my final decision based on the fact that Sarah Palin doesnt appeal to me at all. Im from new york. That whole cultural middle america crap just isnt my style…its not how my life ever was and i don’t see how its any better than the way me or my family live here. i love my hometown (the bronx) and Sarah Palin makes it obvious she looks down on us lowly city dwellers. Im not religious…that doesn’t appeal to me at all. Plus, even though you may think im wrong about international issues…at least ive thought about them. ive picked up more than a few issues of foreign affairs and ive formulated my own opinion on those issues.

thats why im not supporting the ticket…but i am not an emphatic supporter of barack obama…i weighed the options and found him, as the economist did, to be the one worth taking a chance on…seeing as EITHER ticket is taking a chance.

ernesto on October 31, 2008 at 8:38 PM

ernesto on October 31, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Although you are a typical liberal loser, ernesto, I appreciate your honesty in admitting what you are. Now go back to your friends at Kos and Huffpo. There is no reason for you to be here anymore.

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 8:43 PM

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 8:43 PM

But i like it here…ive been here for years and for what its worth the commenters here make alot more sense than Kos types. All they ramble on about is how evil Bushco is and other nonsense…though i dont agree with you guys on EVERYTHING, i appreciate that its mostly about issues with you guys. and besides, im with u on education policy, taxes, and immigration

ernesto on October 31, 2008 at 8:58 PM

ernesto on October 31, 2008 at 8:58 PM

You’ve been outed as an astroturfer, ernesto. BUH BYE.

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 9:05 PM

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 9:05 PM

Except ive been commenting on this site since way before Ed even showed up…so dont give me that nonsense ive been here discussing sh!t for years. And you know, ive agreed with people from here on numerous occasion…so dont hand me that crap arite? im not here at your will man.

ernesto on October 31, 2008 at 9:16 PM

ernesto on October 31, 2008 at 9:16 PM

BUH BYE, Obamatroll.

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 9:31 PM

FREDDY,

Might be an Obama supporter!

canopfor on October 31, 2008 at 6:56 PM

They came to my door the other day. Asked “is this John Tzetzes’ house?” I said “where did you get that information?” (But of course, they always have your information…)

Tzetzes on October 31, 2008 at 9:57 PM

It’s nuts to put “Nightmare…” on the same level, or even the same plane, as the “Friday the 13th” movies. Ft13 was corny and incredibly formulaic. NoES had an antagonist that found a way to strike at helpless victims. NoES was just plain creepy…at least the very first one. After bombing in the first sequel, they turned Freddy into a smart-ass who no longer was scary.

ynot4tony2 on October 31, 2008 at 10:33 PM

This Freddy is a beta male.

Quite a difference between the two series. I always thought the kills were creative. The new Jason looks really good. He’s fast finally and its show with really nice cameras. I think its a remake though.

womball on October 31, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Nope, not funny.

I actually liked the original movie. Then they had to go and screw it up and give him cheezy dialog in all the rest of them.

Evilwhiteguy on October 31, 2008 at 11:06 PM