Richardson: New level for rich — $120K

posted at 3:10 pm on October 31, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The upper floor for those tax cuts keeps getting lower, doesn’t it? Bill Richardson tried explaining the Barack Obama tax plan to Oklahoma’s Steffen Tubbs, but he managed to find yet another income level for the cutoff between the wealthy and the middle-class. Notice how this keeps getting lower?

Obama started at $250K, dropped to $200K, Joe Biden adjusted it to $150K earlier this week, and now it’s dropped another 20% since then. Either Team Obama really doesn’t understand their own policies, or they’re trying to make sure that no one else does. What does that tell people about the competence of this campaign and its candidate?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Wow, I guess Obama *WILL* be good for the economy. He’s not even president yet, and I’ve gone from middle-class to nouveau riche!!

Does this mean I can trade in my ’95 Dodge van for a Porsche?

RegularJoe on October 31, 2008 at 3:49 PM

This is like a bad game show.

New Deal ? or No New Deal?

normsrevenge on October 31, 2008 at 3:50 PM

This is all you need to know:

“After decades of broken politics in Washington, eight years of the failed politics of the Bush administration and 21 months of campaigning, we are five days away from fundamentally changing the United States of America”

Barack H. Obama
October 30, 2008
Columbia, Missouri

Buy Danish on October 31, 2008 at 3:42 PM

BHO seems to have left out his utter contempt for the Founders and the Constitution.

To that extent, as radical as I think people try to characterize the Warren Court, it wasn’t that radical. It didn’t break free from the essential constraints that were placed by the founding fathers in the Constitution, at least as its been interpreted and Warren Court interpreted in the same way, that generally the Constitution is a charter of negative liberties.

I guess he figured that that sort of idiocy and anti-Americanism doesn’t really go over too well. We’ll hear all about it on Nov 5th, if the Indonesian moron wins.

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 3:50 PM

This is like a bad game show.

New Deal ? or No New Deal?

normsrevenge on October 31, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Except in this game the highest value suitcase is $120,000.00 and only one of those for every million workers.

Elizabetty on October 31, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Blued: Check
Tatooed: Check

Only one thing left…

ronsfi on October 31, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Just when I think the moonbat left can’t stoop any lower or insult Americans’ intelligence any more than they have, they manage to drop the bar a few more notches. My workplace is full of liberals. I was shocked when I heard two co-workers criticizing Obama OUT LOUD yesterday, calling him a socialist. This gives me a glimmer of hope.

Philly on October 31, 2008 at 3:53 PM

Remember when Clinton said that under his first tax plan, only the “super-rich” would see an increase?

My mother-in-law was one of the “super-rich” who got hit with Clinton’s increase.

She was an elementary school teacher. Public school. Wisconsin.
__________

RJGatorEsq. on October 31, 2008 at 3:55 PM

*twitch*
Grue in the Attic on October 31, 2008 at 3:44 PM

*Reenacts the beginning house-shutting scene from “I Am Legend.”*

Bishop on October 31, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Does this mean I can trade in my ‘95 Dodge van for a Porsche?
RegularJoe on October 31, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Yes, however gas will be eleven bucks per gallon.

Bishop on October 31, 2008 at 3:57 PM

*Reenacts the beginning house-shutting scene from “I Am Legend The Omega Man.”*

Bishop on October 31, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Sorry, Bishop. I had to do that.

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 3:58 PM

What good is forty acres and a mule when the land is on the side of a cliff?

Limerick on October 31, 2008 at 3:58 PM

I’m sure to many this is quite alarming, but many of us who have experience living in wannabe-socialist countries could see it coming. There was one politician in Australia who actually suggested that a family living on $60k/yr (in a city with a median house price of $500k+, and a marginal tax rate of almost 50%, as they were at the time) would be swilling French Champagne.

My guess is that by Tuesday, they’ll be at the target number: $42k as Pelosi and Reid say it is.

mr.blacksheep on October 31, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Might be $42,000 by Monday the way they change their numbers around.

Its hard for Dims to keep their lies straight.

la.rt.wngr on October 31, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Yes, however gas will be eleven bucks per gallon.

Bishop on October 31, 2008 at 3:57 PM

And only those with even numbers or vowels at the end of their license number will be allowed to purchase the maximum of 5 gallons on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays (before 7am).

We all saw this before …

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Stewart Varney is taking apart an Obamabot about the $120,000 number right now on Fox. The bot is about to blow a fuse.

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 4:03 PM

Stuart Varney is cracking me up as he picks apart the Obamite. Richardson, another Obama surrogate and tool, is correct about the 120,000 figure for some taxpayers, according to the calculation tool on http://taxcut.barackobama.com/ (aka taxcutfacts.org).

Philly on October 31, 2008 at 4:07 PM

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 4:03 PM

WOW! This is the worst Obama shill I’ve ever seen. She sounds like an 8 year old saying “nuh huh” compared to Varney.

This is the kind of person Obama would have staffing his WH.

Fortunately, every time the Obama campaign opens its mouth, they further expose O!’s true nature… the result will be victory for McCain.

Y-not on October 31, 2008 at 4:07 PM

As all of these things go, is it competence (a. Are you an idiot, or …) or is it honesty (b. …a liar) ?

I think we all knew all along that he was using a series of lies about a “tax cut” to mask his upper income tax increase and redistributionist economic plan.

He thinks that most voters – and certainly all liberal voters – are stupid, and will easily be swayed by fluffy claims of Pie in the Sky, which they are incapable of evaluating, or of balancing against his carefully hidden record of socialism and/or Marxism.

It’s a remarkably dirty, dishonest, and effective strategy. I hope it fails.

Jaibones on October 31, 2008 at 4:08 PM

Y-not on October 31, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Yep. I’m very confident that the bulk of America is totally repulsed by these people. My only question is how big the voter fraud has been. I don’t worry about the polls, since they are including, in their weightings, all of the bogus registrations.

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Obama’s Global Poverty Act-7% of GPD goes to the United Nations, they know how to use our taxpayer money better than we do. We should quit being such selfish infidels.

la.rt.wngr on October 31, 2008 at 4:12 PM

Bill Richardson

Contact info……..

You know, why are we not shouting back at these as#hats that the amount of money we make because of our hard work is none of their damn business!

Hey Richardson, tell your As#Clown of a boss Obama to read the following document……………….

“But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. — Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government.”

………………. you will not take my Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness, without a fight!

Seven Percent Solution on October 31, 2008 at 4:15 PM

The problem with lies is it’s hard to keep them straight.

Anyone with a brain knows they are coming for the middle class, all Marxists regimes target the destruction of the middle class as the first thing they do. Just look at Venezuela.

tarpon on October 31, 2008 at 3:25 PM

That’s why the ultra rich are all supporting BO. They know in a communist society they will be living in their dachas on the coast while the “ordinary” citizens will starve. The old rich don’t have to worry about the new rich taking over because it will be nearly impossible for someone to make the jump with the new taxes. Yet they will continue to have their loopholes to avoid their taxes.
With the elimination of the middle class, we will become just another third world dictatorship with one percent owning 95 percent of the wealth.

Corsair on October 31, 2008 at 4:15 PM

Obama=Marxist

Marx- he was a man who knew how to divide your peanut butter sandwich for you. one bite for you, two bites for me.

la.rt.wngr on October 31, 2008 at 4:15 PM

Varney rocked the house.

But hey, at the rate this threshold keeps dropping, I should be Rockefeller-rich by about Thursday.

greggriffith on October 31, 2008 at 4:16 PM

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Yeah, voter fraud is very worrisome. I’m not expert enough to gauge how big an effect voter fraud, which I gather is primarily going to happen in urban areas, will have on each state’s totals for Obama vs McCain. People in rural areas and the suburbs need to vote!

My other concern is how early voting ballots are handled. I don’t like the thought of them hanging around for days. Doesn’t that make them vulnerable? I really don’t like early voting — especially when one of the candidates is so stealth and also because I worry about tampering.

But, I think McCain will win. The O!’s astroturfing has become so obvious… they are clearly worried.

Y-not on October 31, 2008 at 4:25 PM

I’ve been looking at IBD/TIPP results and it looks like the under 75K categories are going to the Obama side. 75K+ are firmly with McCain. The 250K tax level is ringing in everyone’s ears so they feel safe voting for Obama. Too bad they aren’t hearing the tax number drop. There could be a whole bunch of buyer’s remorse later on.

Mr_Magoo on October 31, 2008 at 4:25 PM

The NY Times now has it down to $100,000..

Connie on October 31, 2008 at 4:29 PM

*Reenacts the beginning house-shutting scene from “I Am Legend The Omega Man.”*

Bishop on October 31, 2008 at 3:56 PM
Sorry, Bishop. I had to do that.

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 3:58PM

[talking to his own Obama image on a TV screen]
Robert Neville: Hi, Big Brother, how’s your ass?

Brass Pair on October 31, 2008 at 4:30 PM

She’ll sit with LegendHasIt.
Entelechy on October 31, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Probably not. I think Project X is being built in the neighborhood. Being trapped here, I doubt that I’m going to make to the Gulch.

But you all have a good time listening to to Halley’s Fifth, and say Hi to my old pal Ragnar for me!

LegendHasIt on October 31, 2008 at 4:30 PM

NEW conventional wisdom:

Obama lied, liberals cried.

Variation on a former liberal theme!

EconomicNeocon on October 31, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Connie on October 31, 2008 at 4:29 PM

There will be no tax cuts. Just like clinton in 1993. Tax increases for everyone. Count on it.

lorien1973 on October 31, 2008 at 4:40 PM

It’s going to be what it was always going to be….

jukin on October 31, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Acording to the “Ones” I am getting richer every day.
I can’t wait till they decide less than 48k is rich. Then maybe I can run in the
“Elite” circles that “dear Leader runs in.

Riderbob on October 31, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Those wealthy plutocrats Obama wants to tax to death will turn out to be anybody with a job.

Tantor on October 31, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Wow, Tony Stark has been hittin’ the carbs.

Jim Treacher on October 31, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Tantor on October 31, 2008 at 4:43 PM

You can count on that…

right2bright on October 31, 2008 at 4:50 PM

The moving tax target should be made into one long ad loop that runs from here until the election. Richardson to join Biden in the witness protection program.

moxie_neanderthal on October 31, 2008 at 5:02 PM

The O!’s astroturfing has become so obvious… they are clearly worried. – Y-not on October 31, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Worried? Heh…they are absolutely panicked.

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 5:02 PM

*Reenacts the beginning house-shutting scene from “I Am Legend.”*

Bishop on October 31, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Sadly, never got to see it. Explanito por favor?

Wow, Tony Stark has been hittin’ the carbs.

Jim Treacher on October 31, 2008 at 4:49 PM

LMAO…

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 31, 2008 at 5:04 PM

The budget should be balanced, the
Treasury should be refilled, public debt
should be reduced, the arrogance of
officialdom should be tempered and
controlled, and the assistance to foreign
lands should be curtailed lest Rome
become bankrupt. People must again
learn to work, instead of living on public
assistance.
— Marcus Tullius

right2bright on October 31, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Obama is lying to his teeth and the media knows it. Too bad a lot of people who supports Obama are too stupid to even see what is obviously happening here.

mariloubaker on October 31, 2008 at 5:05 PM

right2bright on October 31, 2008 at 5:04 PM

You’d think in ~2000 years people would learn.

Darn you cyclic history! Darn you!!

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 31, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Hannity made up a great montage where he has Barry and friends starting at $300,000 and going down, down, down. I hope he’ll play it on H&C tonight.

Buy Danish on October 31, 2008 at 5:08 PM

The main reason Marxism/Socialism has not worked is the world has never been blessed with a Dear Leader that could lead such a system. If you do not believe me, ask BO. He is the Chosen One. “From each according to his ability; to each according to his needs”

somedays on October 31, 2008 at 5:09 PM

somedays on October 31, 2008 at 5:09 PM

BHO has his own version – being the first-class intellect that he is:

“From each according to his ability; to each according to his demands”

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 5:13 PM

“From each according to his ability; to each according to his demands”

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Okey-day, I can work with this.

“I want my money back!!” /Scrooge

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 31, 2008 at 5:19 PM

Are people stupid? Bill Clinton’s millionaire’s tax, after he was elected was lowered to $250,000. When Al Gore was questioned on it, he calmly explained that 250K times the 4-year term they were elected to was 1 million. Why do so many people not mind having their intelligence insulted by these leftists?

dentalque on October 31, 2008 at 5:35 PM

Do I hear $250K, $200K, $150K, $120K…sold out for $120K.

Bloated Bill Richardson is a bag of horsesh*t. Trust me, I live in his uneducated, welfare grabbing, sh*tbomb of a state. Land of Enchantment, my a$$. Land of Retardment is more like it.

HornetSting on October 31, 2008 at 5:43 PM

NEW conventional wisdom:
Obama lied, liberals cried.
Variation on a former liberal theme!

EconomicNeocon on October 31, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Correction, EconomicNeocon.

Obama lied, liberals couldn’t care less.

Blaise on October 31, 2008 at 5:55 PM

We all saw this before …

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 4:00 PM

And bread lines will be on Mondays and Wednesdays. Healthcare lines will be on Saturdays…..I think I’ll move to uh, USSR!

jbh45 on October 31, 2008 at 5:55 PM

jbh45 on October 31, 2008 at 5:55 PM

When the USSR first collapsed and droves of Russians started emigrating here, many of the Russians used to like to take pictures of themselves by the meat counter at the supermarket and send them back home. Change.

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 5:58 PM

I just had lunch with a former citizen of a former Russian eastern block country. She can’t believe how much BO’s campaign reminds her of her homeland….

jbh45 on October 31, 2008 at 6:03 PM

jbh45 on October 31, 2008 at 6:03 PM

Yep. For those who know, this is very scary stuff.

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 6:06 PM

This is reminiscent of Bill Clinton (1992):

1. Slamming Bush (Read My Lips) for raising taxes
2. Promising to cut taxes
3. Raising taxes: oops, I’m sorry, but I am going to have to RAISE taxes on everyone, including taxing social security benefits for the first time.

Democrats never change. They have to lie and fool as many Americans as possible in order to get elected.

jerseyman on October 31, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Bingo. As I recall, in 1992 Clinton promised a middle class tax cut, and a tax hike only if you made some huge number — may have been 200K. In one of their debates, Bush 41 said we should grab hold of our wallets, because the actual salary range to expect a tax hike was around $30K. Clinton of course made light of the claim.

When the tax hike finally came, it started pretty close to that $30K number. And the middle class tax cut? Never happened.

I bet if you took that $30K figure in 1992 dollars and adjusted for inflation, you would have just about the exact salary that would start seeing a tax hike under Obama. I’m guessing somewhere around $42K.

Let’s just elect McCain and never have to find out…

theregoestheneighborhood on October 31, 2008 at 9:39 PM

Mr_Magoo on October 31, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Maybe not…

From Drudge:

ZOGBY SATURDAY: Republican John McCain has pulled back within the margin of error… The three-day average holds steady, but McCain outpolled Obama 48% to 47% in Friday, one day, polling. He is beginning to cut into Obama’s lead among independents, is now leading among blue collar voters, has strengthened his lead among investors and among men, and is walloping Obama among NASCAR voters. Joe the Plumber may get his license after all…

Y-not on November 1, 2008 at 12:06 AM

I bet he thinks his half-brother in Kenya is rich. You know, the one living in the hut. After all, he ain’t doin’ much to help him so he must be rich enouch already.

Sporty1946 on November 1, 2008 at 12:21 AM

Notice how this keeps getting lower?

Oh I’m keeping track all right. I just hope the 0bama people are paying attention. That is, if they even care.

4shoes on November 1, 2008 at 1:08 AM

If [God forbid] Obama is elected, “rich” will be redefined as anyone who is not on welfare.

Maxx on November 1, 2008 at 11:04 AM