Richardson: New level for rich — $120K

posted at 3:10 pm on October 31, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The upper floor for those tax cuts keeps getting lower, doesn’t it? Bill Richardson tried explaining the Barack Obama tax plan to Oklahoma’s Steffen Tubbs, but he managed to find yet another income level for the cutoff between the wealthy and the middle-class. Notice how this keeps getting lower?

Obama started at $250K, dropped to $200K, Joe Biden adjusted it to $150K earlier this week, and now it’s dropped another 20% since then. Either Team Obama really doesn’t understand their own policies, or they’re trying to make sure that no one else does. What does that tell people about the competence of this campaign and its candidate?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Joe the Plumber = Joe the Prognosticator.

lorien1973 on October 31, 2008 at 3:12 PM

if they win, we have the internet and youtube and email to remind people of their lies, which we didn’t have in the 90′s like we do today.

assuming the Dems don’t ban it

jp on October 31, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Wait until people find out that BHO is talking about Australian dollars!

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 3:13 PM

These 4 clips should just be run 24 hours by McCain’s ad people. All weekend. All monday.

lorien1973 on October 31, 2008 at 3:13 PM

what do i win when they lower it to my salary?

custer on October 31, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Ten dollars says it becomes $48K if Obama gets elected.

carbon_footprint on October 31, 2008 at 3:14 PM

most obama supporters are like the pod people in the invasion of the body snatchers…soulless waifs whose only desire it to serve their new bi-racial messiah…

happy halloween!

right4life on October 31, 2008 at 3:14 PM

LOL. This is insane. The “inner circle” obviously knows what will really happen

lodge on October 31, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Damn, now I’m officially rich. Whotta surprise – I thought I was going to be one of the people the Messiah was redistributing money to. /snark

Realist on October 31, 2008 at 3:14 PM

When did Bill grow that stylin’ goatee?

CherokeeJack on October 31, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Deferred compensation. If you’re looking for a new job see what options are available for receiving deferred compensation in lieu of a higher base salary. I’m actually taking a small base pay cut in a few weeks but getting a nice stock option that I can keep out of The One’s hands as long as he’s in office.

My wife and I are even discussing her staying home 2-4 years so we don’t contribute to the redistribution any more than we need to.

DerKrieger on October 31, 2008 at 3:15 PM

I plan on applying for welfare under a variety of different names, and listing different park benches as my address.

If I work hard enough, and fill out enough applications, I’ll have enough to pay my fair share of the taxes so that I can help redistribute some of my wealth.

Look, I’m not selfish, like a lot of you working folks.

Dorvillian on October 31, 2008 at 3:15 PM

what do i win when they lower it to my salary?

custer on October 31, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Relief from your “selfishness”. Just hold on, BHO will make an altruist of you, eventually, even if it kills you.

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Crap. I’m only 30 grand away from getting CORNHOLED!

FlatFoot on October 31, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Does this remind anyone of Bill Clinton promising to balance the budget in 3 years… 4 years… 6 years…
9 years.

ttime500 on October 31, 2008 at 3:16 PM

right4life on October 31, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Most Obama supporters are children under 25, black, or wards of the state dependent in one form or another on handouts.

It’s a FACT that a majority of tax PAYERS are GOP voters.

DerKrieger on October 31, 2008 at 3:16 PM

they have to raise all taxes OR Cut spending dramatically(military 25%) OR get rid of their utopian welfare schemes.

which is the most likely to happen?

jp on October 31, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Realist on October 31, 2008 at 3:14 PM

My family too. I guess I’m quitting my part-time job…..and maybe my full-time job, too, so I can be a stay-out-home dad. Ah, the life.

I think I’d better stop on the way home and pick up some buckshot for my 20 ga, and shells for my .243 Winchester. Civil War 2.0 is going to start soon.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 31, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Everybody limbo now.
Limbo lower.
How LOW can you go!

Right_of_Attila on October 31, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Reminds me of the rhetorical question: “When does a downsizing become a layoff? When your job is eliminated.”

Congratulations, people: We’re all rich!

VastRightWingConspirator on October 31, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Those who make $120K – $250K should be switching to McCain. But they won’t because they are not listening.

Nov. 5th. Wake up time! (If O wins.)

Mr_Magoo on October 31, 2008 at 3:18 PM

All Conservatives have to do to implement a John Galt plan is to cut back on discretionary spending. Even a 10% reduction will significantly rob the Politburo of funds.

DerKrieger on October 31, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Theoretical scenario:

Obama wins.
Grue quits his job.
Government tries to collect Grue’s college loan debts.
Government redistributes someone else’s money to itself.
Grue found strangled in the night with a flashlight tied around his neck.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 31, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Friday afternoon bad news dump.

Elizabetty on October 31, 2008 at 3:19 PM

The upper floor for those tax cuts keeps getting lower, doesn’t it?

You know, my wife and I each drive around in automobiles tha are nearly a decade old. We make just enough to live in a moderate to small house in NJ, and according to Bill Richardson, we’ve just become rich.

Funny, that.

kayawanee on October 31, 2008 at 3:19 PM

I am striving to become a CCNA and MCSA Professional as a second career (I’m a 24 year Army Vet) but hell, if things go good for me job wise, I may get hammered.

mindhacker on October 31, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Gotta go turn off the tv. Shep is on FoxNews slamming Palin.

Mr_Magoo on October 31, 2008 at 3:19 PM

First class intellect, Ed, first class intellect.

Remember?

Mcguyver on October 31, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Keep it up, Richardson. I’m sure McCain will be quite happy winning New Mexico!

t.ferg on October 31, 2008 at 3:20 PM

That they know they’re lying about $250K/$200K/$150K/$120K/$90K/$25K. They’ll only be able to support their new national nanny state by taxing all our money (quit being selfish) and then spreading it around to their supporters as they see fit.
Any critics will be labeled divisive first, then racist and as hate crimes are illegal, critics will be marched to the newly emptied Gitmo.

rbj on October 31, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Mcguyver on October 31, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Heck – Tha One is “brilliant”. Haven’t you heard? I keep waiting for evidence, like college transcripts, Law Review articles, something; but so far, no luck.

DerKrieger on October 31, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Ok, this is funny. If they lower it much further, they’ll hit the mean starting salary for 22 year olds graduating from the college where my husband works.

Y-not on October 31, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Plenty. But it says more about their honesty and, tragically, since they seem to be winning handily, it says even more about the mass insanity that seems to have gripped the American people…

morganfrost on October 31, 2008 at 3:21 PM

EVIL CARTMAN opens his yap again.

LegendHasIt on October 31, 2008 at 3:21 PM

time to move to alaska

custer on October 31, 2008 at 3:21 PM

I’m guessing that each individual according to the new order will be allowed to earn 40K before they are considered wealthy. That will be the floor of this entire who is wealthy scam.

A friend in Canada once complained that he worked overtime for three weeks and made less. That’s Obama’s idea of earning a living, unless you are Obama or one of his comrades.

Hening on October 31, 2008 at 3:21 PM

…on the way to $70K or lower

Vashta.Nerada on October 31, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Instapundit has this new quote today and I love it:

If a man owns your house, your bank account, your job, and your health care, he owns you. Period. Just ask a coal miner from West Virginia about the company store.

lorien1973 on October 31, 2008 at 3:21 PM

All the new socialist schemes (health care, retirement plan, wage insurance) are to be funded through payroll taxes. No one is exempt from them.

DerKrieger on October 31, 2008 at 3:22 PM

I have a feeling Barry will lower the crap out of it come Tuesday evening.

benrand on October 31, 2008 at 3:22 PM

custer on October 31, 2008 at 3:21 PM

…and join the AIP

DerKrieger on October 31, 2008 at 3:23 PM

I’m going on a vacation to the Grand Canyon Galt’s Gulch, who’s with me?

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 31, 2008 at 3:23 PM

HEY, you know Obama does not help his poor relatives living in slums and cardboard huts?

By Obama standards, they are RIIIIICCCHHH. They have plenty.

Elizabetty on October 31, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Ick — Shephard Smith and some Politico guy are “satisfying” each other on Fox right over Obama.
Eeewwwww

Y-not on October 31, 2008 at 3:23 PM

if you work for a living you are rich. you need to quit being selfish and help those who do not want to go to work. cmon selfish people.

custer on October 31, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Crap. I’m only 30 grand away from getting CORNHOLED!

FlatFoot on October 31, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Don’t lose hope. Obuttho will move the goalposts for you.

cntrlfrk on October 31, 2008 at 3:23 PM

I hope that drooling putz Peggy Noonan and those other “conservative” (sic) Obamacons will finally realize what is going on here.
Scummy Quislings…

TexasJew on October 31, 2008 at 3:24 PM

DerKrieger on October 31, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Actually, for a number of years I have considered working at a particular interesting, low-paying job; as opposed to the somewhat stressful and repetitive high-paying job I have now. If the Messiah wins, you can bet I will be very carefully evaluating how much I am really earning in extra after-tax pay at the high-paying job vs. the low paying one. If the marginal return gets low enough – poof, I switch jobs, and several tens of thousands of dollars of Federal tax revenues goes away.

Realist on October 31, 2008 at 3:24 PM

The problem with lies is it’s hard to keep them straight.

Anyone with a brain knows they are coming for the middle class, all Marxists regimes target the destruction of the middle class as the first thing they do. Just look at Venezuela.

tarpon on October 31, 2008 at 3:25 PM

Eeewwwww

Y-not on October 31, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Caught that. I love how Shep KNOWS more about BHO’s citizenship than anyone else on Earth (who is speaking to the public). What a moron.

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 3:25 PM

When did Bill grow that stylin’ goatee?

I think it was around the time Richardson stabbed Hillary in the back and endorsed Barry. It’s a coward’s disguise, beta-male style.

Let’s roll.

ex-Democrat on October 31, 2008 at 3:26 PM

The video of the day, Ditka endorsing McCain/Palin

V15J on October 31, 2008 at 3:26 PM

I am estatic that someone thinks of me as rich.

Unfortunately, the people who are selling houses here in the DC area apparently are not convinced.

NoDonkey on October 31, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Y-not on October 31, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Which was their intention all along.

DFCtomm on October 31, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Ten dollars says it becomes $48K if Obama gets elected.

carbon_footprint on October 31, 2008 at 3:14 PM

I think it’s going to be 50K. That’s the limit Obama has on his tax plan to eliminate tax for seniors. Of course it looks like his definition of senior is 70 y/o.

Texas Gal on October 31, 2008 at 3:26 PM

The income floor keeps plummeting. Let’s hope 0bama’s numbers do the same by Tuesday.

Quisp on October 31, 2008 at 3:27 PM

what do i win when they lower it to my salary?

custer on October 31, 2008 at 3:13 PM

A jar of Vaseline. Bend over and grease up!

CurtZHP on October 31, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Nancy-Harry?

Do I hear, $110K, $100K, $99K?

Oxybeles on October 31, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Ten dollars says it becomes $48K if Obama gets elected.
carbon_footprint on October 31, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Deal.

I say it will $45k.

Bishop on October 31, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Time to go to Galt’s Gulch?

Or, maybe pull a reverse Galt and sign up for every single entitlement program available under a Darth Barry admin? Go on the dole and see how long you can ride it? Wish I had the unmitigated gall to go through with that.

My conscience wouldn’t allow it. Probably better stick to Galt’s Gulch.

Barntender on October 31, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Larry the Lemonade stand proprietor and Alice the Hair Salon owner better look out. The threshold is falling fast.

For all their vaunted “message discipline,” why can’t the Dems keep their story straight?

Is this part of the “lowering of expectations” that’s now being talked about?

BuckeyeSam on October 31, 2008 at 3:29 PM

if they win, we they have the internet and youtube and email to remind people of their lies, which we didn’t have in the 90’s like we do today. ban, lie, and hide their lies.

jp on October 31, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Fixed it for you.

Enoxo on October 31, 2008 at 3:30 PM

My conscience wouldn’t allow it. Probably better stick to Galt’s Gulch.

Barntender on October 31, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Ditto.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 31, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Wouldn’t it be easier just to take all of our money and then dole it out as Obarky sees fit?

Every week you get a loaf of bread, a can of condensed milk and five bucks to spend at stores that don’t exist.

Bishop on October 31, 2008 at 3:30 PM

I am reminded of the words attributed to Rev. Martin Niemoller about the passivity of Germans in the face of the expansion of Nazi targets (“First they came for the communists and I said nothing because I was not a communist. Then they came for the unionists and I said nothing because I was not a unionist. Then they came for the Jews and I said nothing because I was not a Jew. Then they came for me, but by that time there was no one left to say anything” (not exact wording but the best I can remember)).

This is not to compare Sen. Obama to a Nazi; however, the inactivity of Americans in the face of economic threats to their countrymen because they themselves are supposedly immune provides an eerie parallel.

Just imagine a slight change in the words: First they came for those making $250,000 but I voted Obama because I didn’t make $250,000. Then they came after those making $200,000 but I voted for Obama because I didn’t make $200,000. Then they came after those making $150,000, but I voted for Obama because I didn’t make $150,000. Then they came after those making $120,000, but it was too late…because I had already voted for Obama.

Now that I think of it, maybe it would be a good ad.

Blaise on October 31, 2008 at 3:30 PM

As canopfor mentioned in the Nyuk post,

That new math is worth learning.

Kini on October 31, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Just in time. Can’t wait until Hillary gets done with this genius.

Entelechy on October 31, 2008 at 3:31 PM

I’ll reiterate a point I made in an earlier thread…

A killer campaign commercial would be one where they have an auctioneer starting at $250k / year as the starting point for increased taxation and bringing that number steadily downwards.

If they back that up by showing the various answers given by Barry, Biden, and Richardson, it would be effective.

teke184 on October 31, 2008 at 3:32 PM

This is reminiscent of Bill Clinton (1992):

1. Slamming Bush (Read My Lips) for raising taxes
2. Promising to cut taxes
3. Raising taxes: oops, I’m sorry, but I am going to have to RAISE taxes on everyone, including taxing social security benefits for the first time.

Democrats never change. They have to lie and fool as many Americans as possible in order to get elected.

jerseyman on October 31, 2008 at 3:32 PM

My conscience wouldn’t allow it. Probably better stick to Galt’s Gulch.

Barntender on October 31, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Better way to live with yourself too…

Entelechy on October 31, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Grue

I’ll go with ya, but only if I get to sit with Dagney, fair enought?( grins)

MNDavenotPC on October 31, 2008 at 3:33 PM

The video of the day, Ditka endorsing McCain/Palin

V15J on October 31, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Ditka!!!!

Da ‘Cuda!!!!

Game over, man. Game over.

My prediction? Ditka vs. Obungo and his 300 advisers?

Ditka – 270

Obama – 0

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 31, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Let’s stop the crap here . . . Obama and his goons are going to suck you dry and then return for more. Face it, they are Marxists, socialists and communists and those definitions can’t be softened. They are also tools of the left and were manufactured for just this moment. They need the parasitic underclass to stay in power and the only way they can control them is to take your money to pacify them. Obama is attempting the biggest flimflam in the history of our country and if he pulls it off say goodbye to a once great Republic.

Wake up people before it’s too late

rplat on October 31, 2008 at 3:34 PM

AWESOME! My wrist just did a 180* turn! Was hand out, palm down, now I’ve won life’s lottery! Pay up suckers.

hoosiermama on October 31, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Ditka endorses McCain/Palin video

Two words: RED.MEAT….sliced fresh off of the still twitching carcass

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 31, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Don’t worry the reason the number keeps dropping if because under Obama America will be far more concerned with “fairness”.

So for some the ceiling for rich probably will be 250K but then for some others 20K will be more than they deserve.

Speakup on October 31, 2008 at 3:35 PM

I’ll go with ya, but only if I get to sit with Dagney, fair enought?( grins)

MNDavenotPC on October 31, 2008 at 3:33 PM

She’ll sit with LegendHasIt.

Entelechy on October 31, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Wake up people before it’s too late

rplat on October 31, 2008 at 3:34 PM

I have a friend who say they will first come for your guns then they will come with their own guns to take your money.

Sadly, I can see that happening as part of the grand redistribution plan.

Elizabetty on October 31, 2008 at 3:36 PM

I’d like to welcome some of my fellow Hot Air commenters to the new “Club Rich” according to Obama. It’s a great feeling when you fit that new definition so that you’ll be taxed, isn’t it? Kind of like a root canal without anesthetics.

amerpundit on October 31, 2008 at 3:36 PM

I’ll go with ya, but only if I get to sit with Dagney, fair enought?( grins)

MNDavenotPC on October 31, 2008 at 3:33 PM

She’ll sit with LegendHasIt.

Entelechy on October 31, 2008 at 3:35 PM

BINGGGGGGGGGG!!!

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 31, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Obama is dropping his pants…

CliffHanger on October 31, 2008 at 3:37 PM

The video of the day, Ditka endorsing McCain/Palin

V15J on October 31, 2008 at 3:26 PM

wonder if he regrets not running against Obama for that Senate seat

jp on October 31, 2008 at 3:37 PM

This sucks. If you are self employed you have to pay Federal taxes, social security taxes at 15.3% which they want to raise, state taxes, local taxes, etc.

Both the state and county want to raise sales taxes even though it is the highest in the land, have raised all fees and business and professional licensing fees, want to raise state taxes, and all the while giving themselves raise after raise.

This country has gone insane. I’m going broke in order to give raises, perks, and big pensions to government employees.

Blake on October 31, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Scummy Quislings…

TexasJew on October 31, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Peggy will have her “he’s just not that into you” moment before too long. Really, she has a crush and wants very badly to believe that she’s still part of it all…

Question regarding what is middle class and what is rich: Does anyone know what the trigger income level is for federal income taxes? I suggest that that begins the Democrats’ classification for middle class and about $75K above that starts defining rich. Just a guess.

BigD on October 31, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Well, as Ayn Rand would expect, we’ll see about that…… Ooops here’s the train…. let’s roll.

MNDavenotPC on October 31, 2008 at 3:39 PM

…who’s with me?- Grue in the Attic on October 31, 2008 at 3:23 PM

I am.

Gilda on October 31, 2008 at 3:39 PM

This is all you need to know:

“After decades of broken politics in Washington, eight years of the failed politics of the Bush administration and 21 months of campaigning, we are five days away from fundamentally changing the United States of America

Barack H. Obama
October 30, 2008
Columbia, Missouri

Buy Danish on October 31, 2008 at 3:42 PM

What’s the tax rate on the $600 million in income Barry got from his “donors”?

fogw on October 31, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Ahhhh Richardson…..
As an American of Hispanic origins, I literally get furious everytime this guy speaks. Trully not representative of working class Latins in the USA.

Just another “minority” token boy for the Left Wing Dems…

DRod on October 31, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Sorry meant “truly” in the statement above

DRod on October 31, 2008 at 3:44 PM

we are five days away from fundamentally changing the United States of America”

Barack H. Obama
October 30, 2008
Columbia, Missouri

Buy Danish on October 31, 2008 at 3:42 PM

*twitch*

Grue in the Attic on October 31, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Sorry meant “truly” in the statement above

DRod on October 31, 2008 at 3:44 PM

I also think you meant “Latinos” in stead of “Latins” but the original text made it interesting.

BigD on October 31, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Which was their intention all along.

DFCtomm on October 31, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Yeah, but the students will vote for him anyway.
(Well, actually, not the majority of kids at my husband’s college — they’re mostly future engineers — but most of the faculty.)

Y-not on October 31, 2008 at 3:47 PM

The Obamunists keep making campaign ads for Camp McCain. How sporting of them.

Akzed on October 31, 2008 at 3:49 PM