Obama paid $700,000 for staging, sound, and lights for Germany speech

posted at 5:25 pm on October 31, 2008 by Allahpundit

The perfect companion piece to the study released yesterday confirming what Palin’s argued all along: That there is, in fact, a double standard for women candidates by which votes depend partly on their attractiveness. Whether $150,000 in clothes that’ll ultimately be given to charity is a better value under those circumstances than almost three-quarters of a million dollars to feed The One’s ego by staging a speech in front of a foreign audience that did jack for him at home, I leave to you to judge. (Hint: Yes.)

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama paid a German company nearly $700,000 for staging, sound and lighting services at a time he delivered a speech this summer in which he declared himself a “citizen” of both the U.S. and the world…

The German company, whose Web page says it specializes in theater and event management and advertises the Obama speech with numerous pictures on its marketing pages, is listed as a disbursement recipient on Mr. Obama’s most recent campaign expenditures report, filed Thursday with the Federal Election Commission.

The company was paid $667,082 by the Obama campaign in three separate disbursements in July and August, according to the FEC records. The campaign also spent another $9,018 to Bero Berlin – Eurolimousine, the records show…

For hours before Mr. Obama arrived, attendees listened to live reggae, drank beer and munched on bratwurst and steak sandwiches. Many in the crowd sported black and white Obama T-shirts with the slogan, “I want you to stop climate change.”

The bad news? Obama donors had their hard-earned money diverted to pay for German Woodstock. The good news? Given the near-total lack of credit-card verification measures on the campaign’s website, the Germans themselves likely helped offset the cost. Exit question: How many domestic news outlets willing to look into basic information like this that embarrasses The One are we left with now? Fox News, the Wash Times, the Journal… Did I leave anyone out?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Yes, I knew that. Having attempted to declare you that, and you having claimed to be one already, I tried to raise you by 1/4, since, assuming that you’re human, you can’t be a full god. Where’s the flaw? – Entelechy on October 31, 2008 at 6:33 PM

My profound humility prevents me from being more than half a god.

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 6:38 PM

My profound humility prevents me from being more than half a god.

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 6:38 PM

There might be hope for all of us to be redeemed then.

Entelechy on October 31, 2008 at 6:40 PM

If Manly called this election and McCain wins, I will send him a box of raisins, a fatted calf, and a vial of Michelle Obama’s tears … HornetSting on October 31, 2008 at 6:36 PM

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 6:43 PM

“Everything seemingly is spinning out of control”
By ALAN FRAM and EILEEN PUTMAN, (AP)
Sat Jun 21, ’08, WASHINGTON

Is everything spinning out of control? Midwestern levees are bursting. Gas prices are skyrocketing. Home values are abysmal. Air fares, college tuition and health care border on unaffordable. Wars without end rage against terrorism. Horatio Alger, twist in your grave.

The can-do, bootstrap approach embedded in the American psyche is under assault. Eroding it is a dour powerlessness that is chipping away at the country’s sturdy conviction that destiny can be commanded with sheer courage and perseverance.

McCain and Palin personify the can-do bootstrap approach embedded in the American psyche! VOTE GOP FOR LIBERTY, SURVIVAL AND YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO SUCCEED!

Obama, Pelosi and Reid are eroding our great American Spirit and Dream with their dour deceits and frauds promising a Marxist destiny of defeat, depression, and highest taxes ever with no recourse given a Democrat Majority, POTUS and judges ruling from their ass.

maverick muse on October 31, 2008 at 6:43 PM

There might be hope for all of us to be redeemed then. – Entelechy on October 31, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Perhaps you, madam. I am beyond redemption.

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 6:44 PM

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 6:43 PM

Alright, then I will feed the raisins to the fatted calf and send him trick or treating. Tears to follow…

HornetSting on October 31, 2008 at 6:47 PM

If Studs Terkel dies before the election, Obama loses!

profitsbeard on October 31, 2008 at 6:47 PM

ManlyRash at 6:43 PM-

savor… tears…

That scenario sounds like a cross between an Italo Calvino and Franz Kafka story.

profitsbeard on October 31, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Easily the most illogical philosophy I’ve ever seen.

Seriously, how can someone actually believe their life is completely worthless and without any merit whatsoever, and still have a drive at all to get up in the morning? It’s mind-boggling.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 31, 2008 at 5:54 PM

I read part of that entry. I have a hard time putting it in words, but it sounds superficially correct while being hopelessly suicidally pessimistic.

To me, if you postulate that there is no meaning to life, then that gives you the freedom to define a meaning for yourself. Far from making existence so worthless you should commit suicide, suicide becomes the only meaningless act. So long as you live, you can act, so where there is life, there is hope.

Analogously: presumably a Satanist believes in God, but sides with the devil anyway. So, Satanism is to Christianity what Nihilism is to…I’m not sure what to call it, but you get the idea, right?

Count to 10 on October 31, 2008 at 7:07 PM

It was summer and daylight. I think he got ripped off on lighting. Also, how much does a bunch of rented risers cost? This fool is going to empty the US Treasury if he gets in.

Blake on October 31, 2008 at 5:31 P

There are U.S. lighting/sound/ staging companies that have offices in Europe. Why didn’t he choose to use one of them?

And why did he need feel the need to stage a Pink Floyd concert in the middle of the day?

When he’s done with the U.S. taxpayer, he’s going to make these free-spending Republicans look like your miserly Aunt Tillie.

shibumi on October 31, 2008 at 7:10 PM

But that is only 525,303.73 Euros….at today’s exchange rate…

albill on October 31, 2008 at 8:09 PM

Here’s the real point… How many days did we hear about Palin’s clothes? A week? Actually, seems like there has yet to be a day without at least some passing mention. But I’d be shocked if I heard about the cost of Barry’s Excellent Adventure anywhere beyond this Hot Air post.

RightWinged on October 31, 2008 at 9:10 PM

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 6:43 PM

Dude, you are a bleeping poet.

SlimyBill on October 31, 2008 at 9:14 PM

I want only her tears. I want to savor them, one drop at a time, savor the salty bitterness, the wretched torment. I want to laugh as I drop each of those tears on my tongue and delight in her misery as I imagine the sweet, sweet gasping sound of her anguished sobbing. – ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 6:43 PM

Dude, you are a bleeping poet. – SlimyBill on October 31, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Yes. I am.

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 9:25 PM

Yes, Obama was in Germany to speak. But how many of those Germans “listening” to Obama know how to speak der English.

Very few. But who cares. In America, Obama’s audiences aren’t listening either. For if they were, they would know he’s a liar, and extremist liberal, a socialist, who favors infanticide and wants to tax everyone by first lying to them.
Obama’s fantasy trip only expressed his immaturity. No? Here’s more from France:

Sources: Sarkozy views Obama stance on Iran as ‘utterly immature’

French President Nicolas Sarkozy is very critical of U.S. presidential candidate Barack Obama’s positions on Iran, according to reports that have reached Israel’s government.

Sarkozy has made his criticisms only in closed forums in France. But according to a senior Israeli government source, the reports reaching Israel indicate that Sarkozy views the Democratic candidate’s stance on Iran as “utterly immature” and comprised of “formulations empty of all content.”

Sarkozy is a conservative. He and McCain will get along just fine.

2008. The year The One (Barack Obama) … Lost.

AdrianS on October 31, 2008 at 9:54 PM

…Interesting side note, people have tried to represent this philosophy with a Zero (0), for man = nothing. You’ll see Nihilistic movies use this symbol alot, Woody Allen is one good example. Anyway, ironic I think since the “O” in Obama is a nice substitute.
jp on October 31, 2008 at 5:51 PM

As I said earlier today:

Thus Spake ZEROthustra

LegendHasIt on November 1, 2008 at 12:46 AM

That is what gave me great disdain for BO. How dare him go to Berlin Germany and slap Our Country in the face. Guess he was preparing for his Hitler title. He won’t win.

sheebe on November 1, 2008 at 3:54 AM