Obama on low taxes: “Selfishness”; Update: Video added

posted at 1:30 pm on October 31, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama gave John McCain another pre-Election Day gift this morning in remarks made to a Sarasota, Florida audience.  After telling Joe the Plumber in Ohio that he wants government to “spread the wealth,” Obama told Floridians that opposition to such policies amounted to “selfishness”:

“The point is, though, that — and it’s not just charity, it’s not just that I want to help the middle class and working people who are trying to get in the middle class — it’s that when we actually make sure that everybody’s got a shot – when young people can all go to college, when everybody’s got decent health care, when everybody’s got a little more money at the end of the month – then guess what? Everybody starts spending that money, they decide maybe I can afford a new car, maybe I can afford a computer for my child. They can buy the products and services that businesses are selling and everybody is better off. All boats rise. That’s what happened in the 1990s, that’s what we need to restore. And that’s what I’m gonna do as president of the United States of America.

“John McCain and Sarah Palin they call this socialistic,” Obama continued. “You know I don’t know when, when they decided they wanted to make a virtue out of selfishness.”

Jake Tapper thinks this is a nod to Ayn Rand’s book, The Virtue of Selfishness.  He’s unimpressed:

It would seem to be, given the themes of Rand’s work, what happens when independent achievers are demonized.

Which would fit with this description of those who want to keep their hard-earned tax dollars as “selfish.”

Atlas may not be shrugging, but Obama is.

This reveals the basic underlying philosophy of the Left – that one cannot possibly be charitable unless they use the government to redirect their funds.  Obama assumes that people who don’t want to pay higher taxes are somehow “selfish”, but that’s only true if one assumes that the so-called rich won’t do anything else with their money except sit around like Scrooge McDuck, counting it constantly.  Most people today invest it, which creates jobs, or spend it, which creates even more jobs, or donate it to charity — which works much more effectively and with much less overhead than filtering it through government bureaucracy.

Those who earn the money want to direct it in the manner they see fit, in the most efficient manner possible.  That’s not selfish, it’s just common sense.  Only someone in love with government power could see it as anything else.

Update: Here’s the video:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

JadeNYU on October 31, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Their resumes look solid, not ‘sold’.

JadeNYU on October 31, 2008 at 2:06 PM

I put this quote on another thread, but I think it fits quite well regarding this topic.

” I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine”
Ayn Rand

I find it so amazing how corrupted definitions become in the hands of leftists such as the word selfishness.

MNDavenotPC on October 31, 2008 at 2:06 PM

originalpechanga on October 31, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Dude, let’s raise the minimum wage by $150 per hour. Then, everyone who works would be making $300,000, and we could have a tax increase on all of them. Simple Obamanomics.

Buford Gooch on October 31, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Beware anyone who presents themselves as selfless.

EconomicNeocon on October 31, 2008 at 1:36 PM

In deed.
In fact, I think most people know this instinctively. Think about it, what is the fastest way to get someone to trust you? Convince them that it in your own self interest to help them out.

Count to 10 on October 31, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Update: Here’s the video:

The bigger point of this video is that obama doesn’t think there is a difference between:

sharing your sandwich because you want to; sharing a toy because you want to

and

being forced to give up part of your sandwich and being forced to give away your toy because government forced you to do it.

That he thinks both of these situations are the same is troubling. It’s really the heart of conservative vs liberal though. I share because I want to, but if you don’t want to, that’s cool. VS everyone has to share, they have no choice.

lorien1973 on October 31, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Atlas may not be shrugging … yet.

cheeflo on October 31, 2008 at 1:58 PM

We’ll find out really soon.

Entelechy on October 31, 2008 at 2:09 PM

JadeNYU on October 31, 2008 at 1:53 PM

I agree.

I am not a college grad. I have been working at it, but paying out of pocket for a Science degree (that I doubt I am going to get now). I got lucky with my job due to OJT and learning more then I would in a class room.

Sometimes I wish Parents would make their children get a part time job to figure out how the world works and not just worry about studies. Especially since the world does not stop for YOUR education.

I learned that early as well. My Parents (one a Repub the other a Lib) were both on agreement when I wanted to get a job at 14.

upinak on October 31, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Teleprompter failed.

What a lying crap weasel!

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 31, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Maybe Obama doesn’t want to win. That is an incredibly ignorant thing to say four days out.

Vashta.Nerada on October 31, 2008 at 1:50 PM

…not if…

A) you’re arrogant enough to believe that winning an election is merely a formality, and

B) you know that it’ll never really get reported, having, as you do, the press in your pocket….

Puritan1648 on October 31, 2008 at 2:11 PM

…except sit around like Scrooge McDuck, counting it constantly.

Don’t forget lighting their cigars with $100 bills. That’s what fat cat Republicans do with the money they steal from the poor.

Kafir on October 31, 2008 at 2:11 PM

He’s like a black Ellsworth Toohey

Vashta.Nerada on October 31, 2008 at 1:32 PM

I have thought this for quite some time now as well. I recently reread Atlas Shrugged and couldn’t get over the similarities.

Aggie85 on October 31, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Screw him. I worked hard and earned what I have and if the parasitic underclass wants more then they need to earn it. If Obama has so much empathy for them then he should put all of them up in his garage and feed them every morning.

Enough of this cap!

rplat on October 31, 2008 at 2:11 PM

He still has trouble getting the peanut butter and Jelly line out and he’s said it how many times already?

ctmom on October 31, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Must be because Kennedy was talking about tax cuts when he said it.

Vashta.Nerada on October 31, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Exactly.

Hey, Professor Obama! What’s the difference between self-interest and selfishness? Saul Alinksy?

A related principle taught by Alinsky was that radical organizers must not only speak the language of the middle class, but that they also must dress their crusades in the vestments of morality. “Moral rationalization,” he said, “is indispensable to all kinds of action, whether to justify the selection or the use of ends or means.” “All great leaders,” he added, “invoked ‘moral principles’ to cover naked self-interest in the clothing of ‘freedom,’ ‘equality of mankind,’ ‘a law higher than man-made law,’ and so on.” In short: “All effective actions require the passport of morality.”

Buy Danish on October 31, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Enough of this cap!

rplat on October 31, 2008 at 2:11 PM

I agree with you, but there is an ever growing segment of the population that sees this as the beginning.

DFCtomm on October 31, 2008 at 2:15 PM

lorien1973 on October 31, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Tru dat, playa.

I wish someone had the guts to ask him how much (since he’s rich) has he donated to charity in the past few years.

Charity begins at home, at church, and through civic organizations. NOT from gubmint.

1964 all over again.

Ronaldus Maximus…

We are for a provision that destitution should not follow unemployment by reason of old age, and to that end we have accepted Social Security as a step toward meeting the problem.

But we are against those entrusted with this program when they practice deception regarding its fiscal shortcomings, when they charge that any criticism of the program means that we want to end payments to those who depend on them for livelihood. They have called it insurance to us in a hundred million pieces of literature. But then they appeared before the Supreme Court and they testified that it was a welfare program. They only use the term “insurance” to sell it to the people. And they said Social Security dues are a tax for the general use of the government, and the government has used that tax. There is no fund, because Robert Byers, the actuarial head, appeared before a congressional committee and admitted that Social Security as of this moment is $298 billion in the hole. But he said there should be no cause for worry because as long as they have the power to tax, they could always take away from the people whatever they needed to bail them out of trouble! And they are doing just that.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 31, 2008 at 2:15 PM

This is the definition of liberalism.

To Them:

Sovereignty is called ‘protectionist’
Nationalism is called ‘arrogance’
Pride in owning something you worked for is called ‘selfishness’

cntrlfrk on October 31, 2008 at 2:15 PM

This statement is insane!

These services are NOT FREE. They must be paid for by increased revenue. TAXES. So how do you have any left over on the back end when it’s being taken out of the front end by the most inefficient method of allocation i.e. Government Bureaucracy? Simply defies logic. Clearly Lord Barry has no concept of where wealth comes from.

ronsfi on October 31, 2008 at 2:16 PM

rplat on October 31, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Hey I am one of them underclass people! But I work my buns off… Not all of us think that way.

upinak on October 31, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Don’t you know that it takes a village?

beatcanvas on October 31, 2008 at 2:17 PM

“…it’s not just that I want to help….”

…I…I…I…this guy has an “I-problem”….

…after curing “global warming”, insuring that we all have “adequate health care”, and insuring that that gal who expects him to buy her gas and pay her mortgage is squared away…when will he find the time to sleep?

Puritan1648 on October 31, 2008 at 2:18 PM

HANDOUTS CRIPPLE THE POOR.

iamse7en on October 31, 2008 at 2:18 PM

I pay about $75,000 in federal income tax and give about $30,000 to charity each year.

Sorry I’m so selfish Barack, you arrogant piece of $hit.

D2Boston on October 31, 2008 at 2:18 PM

We’ll find out really soon.

Entelechy on October 31, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Indeed we will. Resistance may come in unexpected ways, large and small but especially small. We can’t run away to Galt’s Gulch but I bet there are many little things we can all do.

Gilda on October 31, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Atlas Punts!

ronsfi on October 31, 2008 at 2:19 PM

It only stands to reason that where there’s sacrifice, there’s someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there’s service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.
Ayn Rand

Who’s going to collect if Obama is elected?

Oldnuke on October 31, 2008 at 2:20 PM

lorien1973 on October 31, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Almost all the evidence points to the fact that he is a socialist. The contrary evidence is a thin smokescreen like his non-binding and ever-changing campaign promises, and even many of those are still socialist. Anything that sheds light on his beliefs and thought process screams “I am a socialist!”.

zmdavid on October 31, 2008 at 2:20 PM

The bottom line is not that Obama (or the other like minded socialists, for that matter) wants to share the wealth, but that without doing it through government none of the credit for doing so is shared with the people who don’t deserve it.

Heck, a lot of that credit for creating jobs, prosperous businesses, or charitable assistance by individuals goes unattributed or unclaimed by individuals when it could be put to use by politician so his, or her, name and likeness can live on in perpetuity on some wall, park or history book. It’s an unused or underemployed resource, like an untapped oil field or un-mined vein of gold, there for the taking and use for their own selfish purposes if only they can bribe enough of the citizenry to give them the power to steal it.

Dusty on October 31, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Something Dems will never understand.

BacaDog on October 31, 2008 at 2:21 PM

That’s what happened in the 1990s

Was he high? Taxes being raised and spread around did not cause “all boats to rise”.

The Republican lead Congress that reduced the size of government and lowered the tax rate brought that about. Billy Jeff, to his credit, was smart enough to go along.

raz0r on October 31, 2008 at 2:21 PM

…notice: “I shared my toy…” “I shared my peanut butter and jelly sandwich…”

…Mr. Obama…you did it…it was voluntary…nobody shared it for you…which is what you’re suggesting….

…that, you see, is socialism….

Puritan1648 on October 31, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Every single associate of Obama’s, despite the supreme efforts of the press to hide them, is a socialist or as Ayers himself has said, a communist with a small c. From the pew to the boardroom to speeches given he is simply a polished version of Chavez. In fact many of these past, thrown under the bus associates, work with Chavez to this day. The son of the 1981 Brink’s robbers whom Ayers raised, probably in the living on Obama’s coming out party in 1995, has an office in Chavez’s imperial palace.

All of Obama’s speeches are basically doublespeak parroting time worn communistic jingoism practiced by Castro, Mao, Che and currently Chavez. Do you really think the Che poster in Houston was an accident.

Today’s packaging calls it Progressivism. In a preverse way the current financial crisis may end up saving us from the worst of his intentions.

patrick neid on October 31, 2008 at 2:22 PM

So there you have it: it’s selfish to want to keep more of your money, and in fact it’s downright patriotic to pay more and higher taxes.

You hear that, Hollywood? You payin’ attention, limosine liberals? Any of this gettin’ through your heads, Wall Street bundlers? Like the man said in Invasion of the Walletsnatchers: “You’re next! They’re coming! You’re next!”

Paul_in_NJ on October 31, 2008 at 2:22 PM

No Senator Obama, nobody in this day and age believes that socialism is about helping people. We have nearly a century of experience and what we know is that socialism only brings misery and poverty. Long ago we have learned that Socialism is about power concentrated in a few hands with the rest of the population being reduced to inputs into the process that generates the good life for socialists.

jerryofva on October 31, 2008 at 2:24 PM

I just watched the video of the deplorable demagogue who’s running for Idiot in Chief.

What does sharing toys have to do with Communism? Isn’t sharing voluntary, and don’t you get your toy back at the end of the day?

Buy Danish on October 31, 2008 at 2:24 PM

…notice: “I shared my toy…”

Puritan1648 on October 31, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Actually, I wanted to hear BHO go into more detail about the toy sharing in Indonesian schools. I’m sure it would have been very enlightening to all.

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Breaking News: Bill Richardson lowers Obama’s definition of rich down to $120,000

Connie on October 31, 2008 at 2:11 PM

That’s hitting the MIDDLE CLASS in traditionally Leftist strongholds like San Francisco. You can barely buy a house on that kind of income.

If only we had a couple of more weeks so the kool-aid drinkers would have a chance to digest this…

SPCOlympics on October 31, 2008 at 2:25 PM

“Commie bastard” is to the point.
Ed masterfully fills the gaps with rock-solid details which bear repeating:
“This reveals the basic underlying philosophy of the Left – that one cannot possibly be charitable unless they use the government to redirect their funds. Obama assumes that people who don’t want to pay higher taxes are somehow “selfish”, but that’s only true if one assumes that the so-called rich won’t do anything else with their money except sit around like Scrooge McDuck, counting it constantly. Most people today invest it, which creates jobs, or spend it, which creates even more jobs, or donate it to charity — which works much more effectively and with much less overhead than filtering it through government bureaucracy.
Those who earn the money want to direct it in the manner they see fit, in the most efficient manner possible. That’s not selfish, it’s just common sense. Only someone in love with government power could see it as anything else.”

And Obama is in love with gov’t because he couldn’t get a job in any other area…at the same pay/power rate without adjusting his gynormous ego and opening his puny mind.
I hope Hammity covers this today…Barry’s nemesis! LOL.

Christine on October 31, 2008 at 2:25 PM

…and the people in the background in the video are cheering him on because they want to get rich, too…they feel entitled…it’s their turn….

…he’s appealing to the lowest societal common denominator: the envy of the useless to prosper at the expense of the productive….

…you’ll never go broke figuring on the baser instincts of the mass of men….

Puritan1648 on October 31, 2008 at 2:25 PM

zmdavid on October 31, 2008 at 2:20 PM

It’s just complete denial to argue he isn’t socialist.

lorien1973 on October 31, 2008 at 2:26 PM

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 2:25 PM

…which bears a question: is peanut butter halal?

Puritan1648 on October 31, 2008 at 2:27 PM

WTH does Obama call his followers that salivate at the prospect of receiving other people’s money if not selfish?

DerKrieger on October 31, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Watch what happens when the rich “selfish” people invest in other countries so they can keep their money. BHO will be begging them to bring their $$$ back to the States.

Mojave Mark on October 31, 2008 at 2:28 PM

New McCain ad….

[O'Idiots comments]

Anncr: Oh really. Selfish?

[Show stock footage of donations for Katrina, Asian Tsunami, etc.]

Anncr: Americans are the most generous people on the planet. We donate voluntarily to help people all over the globe. Barack Obama thinks that it selfish for you to want to keep more of your hard-earned money instead of giving it to the government.

Barack Obama. More Taxes. Bigger government.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 31, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Mojave Mark on October 31, 2008 at 2:28 PM

He can starr with the Kennedys, now. Hypocrites!

Entelechy on October 31, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Connie on October 31, 2008 at 2:11 PM

The coasts, with higher costs of living, just took a collective dump. Midwest two-income households (like mine) are going to get nailed.

Like I said before, I’m looking forward to being less productive (meaning not working) under an Obama presidency.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 31, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Correction – he can “start” with the Kennedys (though, starring w/b correct too).

Entelechy on October 31, 2008 at 2:30 PM

…which bears a question: is peanut butter halal?

Puritan1648 on October 31, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Yeah, I wondered about the “peanut butter” line, too. I figured that he threw that in to make it sound, to the uninformed, as if he was talking about life in the US.

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 2:30 PM

If you want to talk about selfishness just compare Obama/Biden charitable contributions to McCain/Palin.

mgtanner on October 31, 2008 at 2:31 PM

New Straight Talk … “Evaporative Economics” !!
Gotta love this guy :

pambi on October 31, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 31, 2008 at 2:30 PM

+1, though I wish that I won’t.

Entelechy on October 31, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Let’s see, selfish means wanting to keep your hard earned money instead of letting Pres. Redistributionist decide how it should be used. BO, has a brother in a hut living on a dollar a day, now his Aunt, Zeituni Onyango, living in a Boston Housing Authority apartment on a small stipend. This man has the audacity to tell us we are selfish? He is a hypocrite.

la.rt.wngr on October 31, 2008 at 2:32 PM

mgtanner on October 31, 2008 at 2:31 PM

McCain adopts and raises kids who could have been BHO’s family members that BHO allows to rot in whatever situation they are in.

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 2:32 PM

DerKrieger on October 31, 2008 at 2:27 PM

They’re not selfish, they’re entitled.

Gilda on October 31, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Eventually, Obama is going to ask Americans to be as ‘unselfish’ to the rest of the world.

Sir Napsalot on October 31, 2008 at 2:34 PM

People are starting to get p*ssed. Tide is turning.

marklmail on October 31, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Entelechy on October 31, 2008 at 2:32 PM

I’ll sell the car I just bought, and become a stay-at-home dad. Wife works at big pharma pulling in about $80k.

Buck Farack.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 31, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Sir Napsalot on October 31, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Global Poverty Act of 2007

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 31, 2008 at 2:35 PM

“The point is, though, that — and it’s not just charity, it’s not just that I want to help the middle class and working people who are trying to get in the middle class — it’s that when we actually make sure that everybody’s got a shot – when young people can all go to college, [snip] …. That’s what happened in the 1990s, that’s what we need to restore. And that’s what I’m gonna do as president of the United States of America.

Spoken by someone who has very little appreciation of what “charity” means, or higher ed for that matter.

“Selfish” Americans give about twice as much (as a percent of GDP) as Brits who “enjoy” the benefits of the type of nanny state government Obama admires so much and three times as much as other European countries’ citizens.

According to Philanthropy UK:

“The most wealthy 10% account for about half of all individual giving in the USA; in Britain it is only a fifth.”

“American households with annual incomes over $200,000 give 7.4% to charity. UK households with similar income give 1.2%”

Let’s eat the rich (where’s Grue when you need him?). It won’t have a deleterious effect on our universities, hospitals, patient support groups, women’s shelters, rape crisis hotlines, AIDS research efforts, zoos, museums….

My husband’s college is bracing itself for the effects of an Obama presidency and a Democrat controlled Congress. They are starting to see an uptick in gifts from the largest donors (really wealthy people) who are liquidating and moving assets in anticipation of an O! administration. They will make gifts before the end of this year, before O! can get his hands on their money, then the giving will dramatically slow down.

Ironically, O!’s promise to make college/university affordable to everyone will have the opposite effect… since private donations are critical to scholarship programs at most colleges and universities, even state schools.

If Obama loses… which I think he will… then in the short term they are anticipating that the economy will depress smaller gifts, but in the long term a Republican administration will be good for philanthropy.

Y-not on October 31, 2008 at 2:36 PM

upinak on October 31, 2008 at 2:16 PM

No Upinak! You are not one of the underclass people. The truth of this resides in your post.

I work my buns off

The underclass he means is that part of our society who do not work but rather stand around with their hands out demanding that those who do produce to give them the fruits of their labor. You may not have achieved your goals yet but you are working toward them. Big difference.

Oldnuke on October 31, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Sir Napsalot on October 31, 2008 at 2:34 PM

His Global Poverty Act is already out there.

la.rt.wngr on October 31, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Sir Napsalot on October 31, 2008 at 2:34 PM

He’s already working on it. It’s call the Global Poverty Act or something like that. US taxpayer money to be sent in addition to foreign aid.

Cody1991 on October 31, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Does he even like Americans?

Uh, no. Remember and and his wife are embarrassed by us. And they don’t seem to like africans much more, considering they have allowed their family to wallow in poverty. I can’t believe the guy gets away with calling himself a Christian. He’s lucky his white grandma had enough money for her retirement because she sure wasn’t going to get any help from her grandson or his wife.

It does seem the trip to see the dying grandma without the kids and wife and no comment was to seal the birth certificate.

Blake on October 31, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Meanwhile, to set an example, what did Biden contribute to charities last year…about $300 or something foolish like that?
I will pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today…

right2bright on October 31, 2008 at 2:41 PM

So now I guess Hussein’s handing McCain/Palin prefabricated campaign ads. How unselfish of him.

Akzed on October 31, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Dear Senator Obama,

For the better part of nine years my wife and I joined together to bring a new product to market for consumers.

In those nine years we put three children through college. We paid all our bills including our mortgage and lived within our means. We took no vacations and am only today leaving take two days away to be with my wife. The first time away together in those nine years. The rest of the time we’ve been working on the project and I’ve been travelling the world over to get feedback and prepare it for market. We gave to charities what we could and provided services in lieu of money on other occassions.

WE didn’t ask for anything from the government nor do we expect anything other a secure nation to live in..

You see Senator I had a dream and have a dream .. the American dream the way America was built ..through self determination and hard work..

When you call people selfish maybe you should realize we are anything but selfish but rather quite giving people and only ask we be allowed to keep what we earn with an understanding taxes are necessary but shouldn’t be burdensome..

In closing Senator you have insulted me for the last time and will in all sincerity let you know.. you can kiss my(our) asses..

Sincerely..
A Hard working American husband and wife team

theblacksheepwasright on October 31, 2008 at 2:43 PM

They’re not selfish, they’re entitled.

Gilda on October 31, 2008 at 2:33 PM

She’s not white.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 31, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Mac and Sarah need to bang away on “selfishness” all weekend. Its infuriating. How dumb is Obomber? No wonder they keep him away from the press.

james23 on October 31, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Blake on October 31, 2008 at 2:40 PM

About the Michele Obama “proud” comment. She said she’d never been proud of her country in her adult life. I assume that she grew up as a happy American and then went to college and was indoctrinated into believing America was a rotten country.

zmdavid on October 31, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Get your paws off the Judeo-Christian values, Obama.

Stick to your cruel, cold Marxism. Be a man and admit what you are.

jeff_from_mpls on October 31, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Only someone in love with government power could see it as anything else.

and obama will teach us to love big bro…

right4life on October 31, 2008 at 2:50 PM

just proves he’s a psuedo intellectual, he probably read the title of the book and that was it

jp on October 31, 2008 at 2:51 PM

perhaps Obama should share some of his vast Campaign Donattion wealth with McCain

jp on October 31, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Hot tip, Barry. Sharing your toys was voluntary. Sharing your sandwich was voluntary. Paying taxes is compulsory.

People who don’t differentiate between, or intentionally conflate voluntary and compulsory behavior are too dangerous to hold public office in a free country.

Obama used selfishness in the popular and customary sense. Any allusion to Ayn Rand is a stretch. A more accurate reference, as BD points out below, is Saul Alinksky:

Buy Danish on October 31, 2008 at 2:15 PM

petefrt on October 31, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Obama gave a speech in Iowa today. He was very very close to saying what Michelle said about not being proud of his country. I thought the speech was almost scolding.

tanmany2k on October 31, 2008 at 2:54 PM

More than once. Evidently, she thought this was a good line that many would agree with, for whatever twisted reason was banging around that empty head of hers.

zmdavid on October 31, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Why would you assume that? Her emphasis on her “adult” life was nothing more than an idiot trying to sound intellectual – to commune with other “adults”.

You hear a lot of this pseudo-intellectual garbage coming out of the Obamas. It’s what they do, since they’re not smart enough to do anything else.

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Hey Obama, would you talk to your wife the way you talk about America?

She’d kick your ass.

See why we don’t like you?

jeff_from_mpls on October 31, 2008 at 2:56 PM

So he went off the teleprompter again?

Bad Barry. Bad.

This guy is dumber in reality than the worst moonbat’s fantasy of BoooshChimpHitler.

Let’s roll.

ex-Democrat on October 31, 2008 at 2:57 PM

RNC…This calls for a Last Minute Super Duper Roll Out TV Ad!!! Link this with the spread the wealth clip…then show some newspaper print-up with the Obama/Biden charitable contributions and the % of their income. Call out this guy, for country’s sake.

deedledee on October 31, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Does he realize there will be no rich people to draw off of when he’s through? Then what?

johnnyU on October 31, 2008 at 2:58 PM

james23 on October 31, 2008 at 2:47 PM

First we’re racists. Now we’re selfish. Not winning any friends here in the land of bitter clingers.

petefrt on October 31, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Selfishness?
Obama, you recently referred to these words of the Lord Jesus Christ as recorded by Matthew:

“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’

Why don’t you think this passage applies to unborn babies, whose human rights you have voted against every opportunity you have gotten?
Why don’t you think this passage applies to your relatives in the desperately poor Kogelo, Kenya school that you promised to financially help two years ago, which still has not received one dollar from any effort of yours?
Why don’t you think this passage applies to your half-brother who lives in a tiny, dirty Kenyan shack?

Senator McCain supports his family members in need. Senator McCain adopted a girl from Bangladesh. Senator McCain has a 25 year pro-life voting record.

jgapinoy on October 31, 2008 at 3:00 PM

johnnyU on October 31, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Total economic and monetary collapse necessitating martial law.

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 3:00 PM

I just I think McCain wants to make a virtue out of freedom of choice. Freedom to control my own destiny, not be reliant on some jackass tell me I can’t have crumbs. No thanks.

I’ve donated more in the last 3 years in hard cash than Biden and he made 12x more than me during those times. You know what, good for him. I want to be there someday as well. If he chooses not to donate his hard earned money than fine but don’t tax me into oblivion.

VikingGoneWild on October 31, 2008 at 3:02 PM

johnnyU on October 31, 2008 at 2:58 PM

The logical conclusion of liberalism is to whittle things down so that about 100 people paying the bulk of things.

The government confiscates the assets of those 100.

The government squanders it on utopian schemes.

Poverty and starvation set in.

To solve it, people start getting killed in large numbers.

It’s the story of the 20th century.

jeff_from_mpls on October 31, 2008 at 3:03 PM

You have to understand where Obooma comes from, never had a real job in his entire life and his house was free.

tarpon on October 31, 2008 at 3:04 PM

It used to be that, in order to avoid infantile African despots, all one had to do was avoid Africa. We’ll see if that holds next week.

Akzed on October 31, 2008 at 3:08 PM