Obama on low taxes: “Selfishness”; Update: Video added

posted at 1:30 pm on October 31, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama gave John McCain another pre-Election Day gift this morning in remarks made to a Sarasota, Florida audience.  After telling Joe the Plumber in Ohio that he wants government to “spread the wealth,” Obama told Floridians that opposition to such policies amounted to “selfishness”:

“The point is, though, that — and it’s not just charity, it’s not just that I want to help the middle class and working people who are trying to get in the middle class — it’s that when we actually make sure that everybody’s got a shot – when young people can all go to college, when everybody’s got decent health care, when everybody’s got a little more money at the end of the month – then guess what? Everybody starts spending that money, they decide maybe I can afford a new car, maybe I can afford a computer for my child. They can buy the products and services that businesses are selling and everybody is better off. All boats rise. That’s what happened in the 1990s, that’s what we need to restore. And that’s what I’m gonna do as president of the United States of America.

“John McCain and Sarah Palin they call this socialistic,” Obama continued. “You know I don’t know when, when they decided they wanted to make a virtue out of selfishness.”

Jake Tapper thinks this is a nod to Ayn Rand’s book, The Virtue of Selfishness.  He’s unimpressed:

It would seem to be, given the themes of Rand’s work, what happens when independent achievers are demonized.

Which would fit with this description of those who want to keep their hard-earned tax dollars as “selfish.”

Atlas may not be shrugging, but Obama is.

This reveals the basic underlying philosophy of the Left – that one cannot possibly be charitable unless they use the government to redirect their funds.  Obama assumes that people who don’t want to pay higher taxes are somehow “selfish”, but that’s only true if one assumes that the so-called rich won’t do anything else with their money except sit around like Scrooge McDuck, counting it constantly.  Most people today invest it, which creates jobs, or spend it, which creates even more jobs, or donate it to charity — which works much more effectively and with much less overhead than filtering it through government bureaucracy.

Those who earn the money want to direct it in the manner they see fit, in the most efficient manner possible.  That’s not selfish, it’s just common sense.  Only someone in love with government power could see it as anything else.

Update: Here’s the video:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

que Ayn Rand: The virtue of selfishness.

lorien1973 on October 31, 2008 at 1:31 PM

He’s like a black Ellsworth Toohey

Vashta.Nerada on October 31, 2008 at 1:32 PM

He is disgusting, anyone supporting him is a absolute fool…if he was elected the best thing about it,is that after his first 4 years, it will have been the longest he has ever held a job.

right2bright on October 31, 2008 at 1:32 PM

“That’s what happened in the 1990s”

um, that’s when the FREE MARKET could thrive after the ’93 tax increases were blunted by the GOP congress and welfare reform was put into place, You stupid ignorant che-wannabe douche!!!!

/it’s official — this guy is REALLY pissing me off

Buckaroo on October 31, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Oh, god. This moonbat is supposed to be a centrist?

CherokeeJack on October 31, 2008 at 1:33 PM

I pay 26K a year in federal taxes – I give to charity, I paid my school loans back early, I pay my property taxes, I ask no one for anything. If I’m selfish then you can kiss my ass Barack.

skree on October 31, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Meanwhile, BHO tool/advisor/guilt-ridden azz Warren Buffet is on line one telling people to be “greedy” and buy back into the stock market. Has Warren gotten a tongue lashing from the “first-class intellect” of BHO yet?

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 1:34 PM

I don’t mind being a selfish American.

anniekc on October 31, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Private donations to charities in an Obama administration are going to plummet.

aquaviva on October 31, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Uh, if he want everyone to have a SHOT….why doesn’t he just raise the minimum wage by $5?

That way, everyone makes $10,000 more per year! Then they can afford their OWN health insurance.

And remember, Democrats say raising the minimum wage doens’t affect jobs. Let’s test that theory OUT!

That way, we don’t have people getting anything for FREE, from the hard work and sweat of those who WORK for what they earn.

originalpechanga on October 31, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Obama quickly spins his message to get more voters. Pander, spin and then lay down judgement against all who dare oppose the viewpoint of Obama.

This libertarian ain’t buying.

baxtrice on October 31, 2008 at 1:35 PM

que Ayn Rand: The virtue of selfishness.

lorien1973 on October 31, 2008 at 1:31 PM

I’ve got a copy of Atlas Shrugged that I’ve been reading after I get off work. I keep it with me like a Bible.

The desire for low-taxes isn’t out of any selfish reason, it’s out of self-preservation.

Tacitus_SGL on October 31, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Someone needs to come up with a proper ad juxtaposing his “95% of you will get a tax cut” malarky with his “not wanting to spread the wealth is just selfishness” line…

He’s both promising a tax cut for basically everybody and telling us it’s unpatriotic and selfish to not want to pay higher taxes.

ClintACK on October 31, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Oh, I don’t know Barry… look in a mirror much?

Just WHERE are your relatives living?

Just what school do YOUR kids go to? As you take huge donations from TEACHERS UNIONS?

Romeo13 on October 31, 2008 at 1:36 PM

This guy is like every self-righteous pseudo-intellectual tool I went to college with, thinking they’re bad-a$$es for having a Noam Chomsky book sticking out of their backpack… except he’s thisclose to being president.

Pasalubong on October 31, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Selfishness is a virtue. Ayn Rand.

Beware anyone who presents themselves as selfless.

EconomicNeocon on October 31, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Um, lots of people go to college from little means. Lots of people of little means go to community college, then off to a state university not Columbia and those people work hard and achieve success.

Why does Obama want to take from them to give to others to them to follow the same path when it’s demonstrated the “help” isn’t a needed incentive?

Topsecretk9 on October 31, 2008 at 1:37 PM

I wish Ayn Rand were with us now…. She’d make a mockery of so many on the left and a few on the right as well, I dare say.

MNDavenotPC on October 31, 2008 at 1:37 PM

BHO likes to say all this while living in a house large enough to house 40 people, comfortably. Uh huh. I guess the fact that he had to break the law to get his house makes it all okay …

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Also, you don’t necessarily need a college education to work hard and ahcieve success…Bill Gates, Rush Limbaugh.

Topsecretk9 on October 31, 2008 at 1:38 PM

“John McCain and Sarah Palin they call this socialistic,” Obama continued. “You know I don’t know when, when they decided they wanted to make a virtue out of selfishness think they’re absolutely correct in that assessment.”

Fixed it for him.

Frozen Tex on October 31, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Tacitus_SGL on October 31, 2008 at 1:35 PM

I never seriously thought Atlas Shrugged would become reality.

Till now.

lorien1973 on October 31, 2008 at 1:38 PM

A new definition of selfishness apparently includes the desire to use the money you earn to take care of yourself and your loved ones.

Senator McCain, Governor Palin, GO GET HIM.

capitalist piglet on October 31, 2008 at 1:39 PM

If you look at the Obamas’ tax returns, they prove not to be particularly charitable. In fact they appear to be terribly enamored with with a fine life style, private schools for their kids, and so on.

It’s all about OPM, Other Peoples’ Money. What is the difference between a greedy Socialist and greedy Wall Street speculators? None that I can see.

Cody1991 on October 31, 2008 at 1:39 PM

it’s that when we actually make sure that everybody’s got a shot – when young people can all go to college, when everybody’s got decent health care, when everybody’s got a little more money at the end of the month – then guess what? ……. All boats rise. That’s what happened in the 1990s, that’s what we need to restore.

Everyone got decent health care in the 90s? Must have missed that.
Everyone went to college in the 90s? Wrong again. Everybody had a little more money in the 90s? What, from Clinton’s tax increases.

Obama, total BS merchant.

fogw on October 31, 2008 at 1:39 PM

What is Obama’s excuse for his selfishness? Haven’t any of his followers noticed that he never gave away his own money? He is only accomplished at giving away the money of others.

bopbottle on October 31, 2008 at 1:40 PM

AGAIN! No denial that he is indeed socialist, just complaining about it. Selfish! REALLY! I’m am absolutely, no reservations, voting for McCain with relish and with complete knowledge that it is the RIGHT thing!

SHEESH!

jawbone on October 31, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Do you want to know who’s really selfish?

Patterico:Obama and Biden’s Charitable Giving: They Don’t Want to Spread Their Own Wealth Around

zmdavid on October 31, 2008 at 1:40 PM

It’s such an Obamanation
Barack’s plans for this nation

With Obama’s wealth redistribu-ta-tion
taking from those who do the wealth creation
Giving to those who show the proper adoration
I’m telling you it’s an obamantion.

They are planning an election night coronation
greeting “the one” with shouts of acclamation.
The press thinks Barack’s such a sensation
after the election, they’ll need detoxification.

At the polls there can be no personal identification
for the fear of the poor disenfranchise-a-tion;
But if attending Barack’s election celebration
The poor don’t get the same consideration.

It’s been all about a man’s deification
one who believes in our socialization.
With Ayers & Wright he has a relation
but mentioning that is mere vilification.

His grand plans include punitive taxation
and some approve with a rationalization
it’s only on the rich and it’s a graduation
If only they knew it was just ingratiation.

All his promises attract crowd fascination
they firmly believe without hesitation
and quickly make another fraudulent donation
They don’t know his promises are just a placation.

The polls have made their speculation
and it’s whipped up a lot of expectation
Get ready for the “racists” allegation
and the promised angry retaliation.

It’s such an Obamanation
Barack’s plans for this nation

katablog.com on October 31, 2008 at 1:40 PM

All boats rise.

Except the ones which sink.

yo on October 31, 2008 at 1:41 PM

He keeps unearthing new ways to make me puke.

LimeyGeek on October 31, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Please check out Jim Treacher’s brilliant plea.

Here’s hoping that our side has more smarts/balls than the other, and doesn’t get manipulated, especially not by the exit polls and the media calling states for Obama, early and erroneously.

I don’t mind being a selfish American.

anniekc on October 31, 2008 at 1:34 PM

I don’t mind being (still) free.

Entelechy on October 31, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Does he even like Americans?

Who are these Americans of which you speak?

BacaDog on October 31, 2008 at 1:42 PM

The mask has fallen (further.)

Hannibal Smith on October 31, 2008 at 1:42 PM

America is built on individualism. That is the source of our strength, creativity, freedom, …

This sort of collectivist crap spewing out of BHO’s mouth is the most unamerican line one can imagine. He is showing his Indonesian childhood on this. Pathetic.

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 1:42 PM

I guess THAT’s why Senator Dipstick and his wife gave 2% of their income to charity last year, while I only gave in excess of 10% of mine.

My collie says:

CC, you selfish b*st*rd, you.

CyberCipher on October 31, 2008 at 1:42 PM

I’m worried about who’s going to bail out the Red Cross and United Way if Obama’s in office; Everyone will be selfishly clinging to whatever monies they have left. Trust- as a former United Way employee, it isn’t Libs that give.

anniekc on October 31, 2008 at 1:43 PM

when young people can all go to college

Stupid – while college is not to be belittled, it’s overrated. Plus, we need better and more trade schools.

Entelechy on October 31, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Learn the truth about taxes here

Truth is difficult to defeat.

The Rock on October 31, 2008 at 1:44 PM

“Entelechy on October 31, 2008 at 1:43 PM”

a point being made by none other than — First Dude Todd Palin!
:-)

Buckaroo on October 31, 2008 at 1:44 PM

I guess I’ll have to click the link – I bet Tapper’s being totally reamed in the comments over there. Ayn Rand is like garlic holy water to those moonbat vampires.

Hannibal Smith on October 31, 2008 at 1:45 PM

when young people can all go to college

No need for anyone to actually be qualified. Just go to college.

Hmmmm. Sounds like BHO’s own run for the Presidency. Qualifications and skills be damned!

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 1:46 PM

I am Joe the Plumber, I am RAAAAACCCCIIIIISSSSST, I am selfish…. Oh and I’m John Galt… Gosh never knew I had so many qualities.

MNDavenotPC on October 31, 2008 at 1:46 PM

I will be very dissapointed if McCain doesn’t pound this quote from now until election day. First Biden’s patriotic line, then the huge response to spreading the wealth around, and now this? This isn’t a complex issue like the economy. It will fit into a 30 second tv spot and people will understand it right away. If you don’t support higher taxes, you Obama thinks you are selfish. Pound away, McCain.

Dead Hand Control on October 31, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Its Obama and his liberal millionaire commie friends that are selfish, they have all the money they could ever possibly need, yet they still want YOURS.

Maxx on October 31, 2008 at 1:47 PM

You want to know what’s more selfish than wanting to keep the money you worked for in order to spend it as you see fit?

Wanting to keep the money that SOMEONE ELSE worked for in order for you to spend it as you see fit.

I tithe 10% to church, sponsor a girl in Bangladesh and a boy in India through World Vision, send care packages to soldiers through AnySoldier.com and donate to various other charities like the USO – Operation Uplink, Paralyzed Veterans Association, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and others.

Any one of these groups is going to be a far better steward of the money I send them than the federal government and that is exactly why I want to be free to spend MY money. In Senator Obama’s eyes, that makes me selfish? He can take a short walk off a long pier.

JadeNYU on October 31, 2008 at 1:48 PM

CC, here’s hoping that more people are at least as smart as your collie.

In the O camp there’s so much hope, for so much Nothing. It’s really incredible and scary for our nation.

Buckaroo, I like him a lot. He seems to be her Rock of Gibraltar.

Entelechy on October 31, 2008 at 1:48 PM

He never plans to deny being a socialist, he is laying the foundation to make socialism acceptable and actually desired in America.
Just watch that video of the young woman singing the praises of O at the rally. Talking about how he going to take care of me, I wont ever have to worry about my house payment again or putting gas in my car etc.

This country after generations of welfare entitlement syndrome is primed for socialism to gradually adopted as the favored form of government under the cloak of “progressive”

Mark my words, if he wins the seeds that were planted many years ago will start to take root.

*loads guns*

HoosierCon on October 31, 2008 at 1:49 PM

I am a racist redneck selfish American, according to obama

ConservativePartyNow on October 31, 2008 at 1:49 PM

If, as Obama charges, McCain is making a “virtue out of selfishness”, then Obama is virtuous indeed, given his non-existent generosity to his own impoverished close relatives.

Actually, the true situation is that Obama is trying to take the virtue out of charitable giving by mandating it as a tax.

ksm on October 31, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Maybe Obama doesn’t want to win. That is an incredibly ignorant thing to say four days out.

Vashta.Nerada on October 31, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Why is anyone surprised at this? Lets remember, Owhorama is the first Affirmative Action candidate and as such has no experience with value/values of any sort.

Selfish socialist!

dmann on October 31, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Right. But expecting me to take care of you, expecting the government to give you stuff even if you don’t work …

That’s not selfish. Am I getting this right?

Jesus wept.

Professor Blather on October 31, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Let’s see, who has given more to charity Palin or Biden. Oh, that’s Palin. Now who makes more money Palin or Biden? Oh that’s Biden. How much more? Twice as much. How much more does Palin give? Oh ten times as much.
Lesson? People who believe in individual responsibility give to charity; people who don’t say let the government do it. America, despite what Obama thinks, is the most generous nation on earth when comes to private charity.

Many Democrats like to cite the experience of the 90′s as proof that high taxes and spread the wealth work. That’s not what really happened. When taxes were first raised the economic underperformed then this guy named Bill Gates began to have a major impact on the way we do business. The IT revelation increased productivity so much that entrepreneurs saw rates of return to IT soar. However by the end of the decade diminishing returns set in, the taxes became a drag and economy went into a recession.

One more thing to note about the mythology of the Bush taxcuts hurting the poor and favoring the rich., the tax cuts were so unfair that the United States now has the most progressive tax structure in the entire world (see link below). When only the rich pay taxes they become only ones who benefit from a tax cut.

jerryofva on October 31, 2008 at 1:51 PM

“If I help him, he’s going to help me.”

LMAO. Give her the main number for that housing complex in Chicago that Obama ‘helped’, ’cause she couldn’t afford to both pay for the LD call to anyone at the Obama-Kogelo School in Kenya and still vote for The One.

Dusty on October 31, 2008 at 1:51 PM

He can take a short walk off a long pier.

JadeNYU on October 31, 2008 at 1:48 PM

You might wanna flip that around some…

LimeyGeek on October 31, 2008 at 1:51 PM

I’m guessing the telepromter malfunctioned.

Topsecretk9 on October 31, 2008 at 1:51 PM

What planet are we on!

or,is Earth passing through

the debris of an exploded

Star,or are we going through

a bermuda style triangle thats

parked in Earth’s path!(Snark).
—————————-

Low taxes=Selfishness

Obama= AXIS of TAXES!

canopfor on October 31, 2008 at 1:53 PM

I’m selfish.

I can live with that.

Conservative_SAHM on October 31, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Go to hell, Barack Hussein Obama.

Why do I get the feeling I’ll be spending a lot of time in the cooler come Jan. 22, 2009?

Why don’t you take care of your relatives yourself, first.

I would rather spend my money myself, thus giving those people jobs, rather than having to work to support them while they sit on their lazy behinds.

rbj on October 31, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Ed and Allah,

I wonder what you two are trying to do. Allah posts the Peggy Joseph video, and now Ed has this. Are you trying to see how many conservatives you can cause to have a stroke?

DFCtomm on October 31, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Jesus wept.

Professor Blather on October 31, 2008 at 1:50 PM

I’d like to picture him wielding a flaming sword and getting down to business….

LimeyGeek on October 31, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Topsecretk9 on October 31, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Nice.

Dead Hand Control on October 31, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Aren’t people who want to live off the sweat and toil of other’s selfish? Aren’t people who want to take what people have legitimately earned through their own efforts selfish?

No one is selfish for wanting to keep what they earned … that’s just plain stupid.

darwin on October 31, 2008 at 1:53 PM

How can the socialist government that Obama has envisioned play God unless it has YOUR money and property to re-distribute?

Obama wants to spread the wealth around, that means YOUR WEALTH, not his.

Maxx on October 31, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Does he even like Americans?

Who are these Americans of which you speak?

BacaDog on October 31, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Those God d*mned Americans. “It’s in the Bible.”

Brat on October 31, 2008 at 1:53 PM

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 1:46 PM

I was at NYU with a lot of kids that had no business being there. They racked up a crushing amount of debt just so they could graduate with their liberal arts degree and get the same type of jobs that they could have done straight out of high school.

The only problem with not going to college is that so many employers now consider a bachelor’s degree as a pre-req for any job – even the aforementioned entry level jobs that you could do right out of high school.

We need to break the myth of the college degree being proof of great intelligence and virtue and reserve college for studies that really require advanced learning – others should go to trade schools or join the work force. If you’re just dying for some “womyn’s studies” information, save yourself $30k/year and get a library card.

JadeNYU on October 31, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Taxation destroys charity.

Connie on October 31, 2008 at 1:54 PM

His message only has appeal because Americans have been taught falsely (or non-taught) the basic principles of our founding philosophy and of economic realities. Also, he fails to note Americans are the most generous people on Earth. Who else gave almost $2 billion to strangers who were hit by the tsunami?! Who else welcomed the Katrina homeless into their cities and homes?!

PattyJ on October 31, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Vashta.Nerada on October 31, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Nope, he’s out of touch because he never hears a contrary opinion. He thinks everyone agrees because everyone around him agrees.

zmdavid on October 31, 2008 at 1:54 PM

If BO wins and crazy Congress led my that nitwit, Pelosi, start working on plans to hike taxes, I think there will be marches on Wash. DC.

Those groups will be comprised of all sorts of “racists” that come in all colors. Could be a rough couple of years.

Cody1991 on October 31, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Can Obama see no reason other than selfishness to oppose raising taxes? How about making a recession worse? The econmic multiplier effect of dollars taken in by government is much less than dollars left in the private sector economy.

How about cutting off the amount of money to build and grow businesses? If credit for small businesses is difficult from banks, at least a business can build off reinvestment of its own profits. However if you take the business profits away by taking the cap off social security taxes and raising income tax rates, profits as a source of investment is also cut off. If you want more jobs, reduce taxes, do not raise them.

I could give more economics 101 type lectures such as raising tax rates means fewer investments will meet the threshold of an adequate rate of after-tax return to justify themselves and there will be less econmic activity rather than more. But then, if I pointed such things out, no doubt the Obamatons will say I am just selfish. But, I am not. I do not own a small business, I just work for a business, rather than a government.

KW64 on October 31, 2008 at 1:55 PM

LimeyGeek on October 31, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Haha….very true.

Though, if I turn it around, isn’t there a good chance an Obama campaign worker will sic the Secret Service on me?

JadeNYU on October 31, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Just see what happens if BO is elected. Next thing you know tax deductions will be vilified as being selfish.

No more 401k deductions (as some are already calling for).

No more mortgage interest deductions.

SPCOlympics on October 31, 2008 at 1:55 PM

first, Clinton’s economy was stagnant for the first 5 years of his presidency because of raising taxes. it wasn’t until the capital gains tax was lowered in 1996 that the dot com boom started….

Obama’s just willfully ignorant of history.

bloghooligan on October 31, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Maxx on October 31, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Socialist governments abhor God. The state must come first. Socialism cannot grow and take root within a country that has a strong religious foundation … hence the war on God and prayer.

darwin on October 31, 2008 at 1:56 PM

That’s not selfish, it’s just common sense. Only someone in love with government power could see it as anything else.

…….. and Obama is head over heals in love with government power.

The rest of us are “Selfishist!”

Seven Percent Solution on October 31, 2008 at 1:56 PM

I don’t mind being a selfish American.

anniekc on October 31, 2008 at 1:34 PM
I don’t mind being (still) free.

Entelechy on October 31, 2008 at 1:41 PM

I enjoy the freedom of being selfish.

Brat on October 31, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Do as I say, not as I do!

/What a Marxist Moonbat

Kevin in Washington State on October 31, 2008 at 1:57 PM

All boats rise.

You know, Barry, you may want to steer clear of the nautical references and leave those to Bill Ayers. Especially since you clearly don’t have a clue what J.F.K. was talking about when he spoke of a rising tides lifting all boats.

Oh, and one more thing. Do you honestly think your $500 tax break taxpayer funded gift will do a freaking thing to improve the lives of these people you are pandering too?

Have you no shame?

Buy Danish on October 31, 2008 at 1:57 PM

JadeNYU on October 31, 2008 at 1:53 PM

You’d be shocked at how many resumes pass from my hands straight into the trash. “You spent how many years getting a degree in what?”

LimeyGeek on October 31, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Atlas may not be shrugging … yet.

cheeflo on October 31, 2008 at 1:58 PM

All boats rise.

Have you no shame?

Buy Danish on October 31, 2008 at 1:57 PM

I got a kick out of that one. Can’t even paraphrase one of the most well-known Kennedy quotes correctly. Must be because Kennedy was talking about tax cuts when he said it.

Vashta.Nerada on October 31, 2008 at 1:59 PM

I never seriously thought Atlas Shrugged would become reality.

Till now.

lorien1973 on October 31, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Quick story for you, Lorien.

My father immigrated from England during the pre-Thatcher years of socialist ruin in that country. Things got so bad over there that the IMF had to intervene – that bad.

My father picked up a copy of Atlas Shrugged in the early 70s and read it – he had never been to America. It took him until page 200 or so, according to him, to realize that the story was a fictional account of what America might be like. The reason? Because the environment in England at the time was identical to the fictional political climate of America as portrayed in Atlas Shrugged.

Gives us a little perspective on how quickly things can slide, no?

Tacitus_SGL on October 31, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Obama keeps mentioning giving people a chance to succeed, but when does that chance end? How do we determine who has squandered their “chances” and are now just lazily living off the public?

DFCtomm on October 31, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Wait a minute.

Let’s put this in the context of Rev. Wright.

Disavowal of the Pursuit of ‘Middleclassness.’ Classic methodology on control of captives teaches that captors must be able to identify the ‘talented tenth’ of those subjugated, especially those who show promise of providing the kind of leadership that might threaten the captor’s control.

Yeah. He doesn’t want anything to do with the middle class.

Hey Senator, since you have tons and tons of cash, why don’t you spread the wealth and build affordable housing/buy up bad mortgages/start your own health insurance company? What do you say?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 31, 2008 at 2:01 PM

I think this quote from Thomas Sowell applies here:

“The problem is that Congress produces nothing. Whatever Congress wishes to give, it has to first take other people’s money. Thus, at the root of the welfare state is the immorality of intimidation, threats and coercion backed up with the threat of violence by the agents of the U.S. Congress.”

JadeNYU on October 31, 2008 at 2:01 PM

JadeNYU on October 31, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Good post, Jade.

The really sad part is that the cost of college should be dropping like a rock, given the deflationary pressures of technology and the constantly lowering cost of accessing information. I now have free and immediate access to more info in my own home than at the largest brick and mortar library. But college tuition keeps going up, outpacing inflation. Even more pointedly, online courses at colleges tend to cost the same as the on-site courses, even though the cost savings for the school is tremendous with online courses. We can thank government interference in student loan packages for that.

P.S. I don’t see that BHO’s college experience has done much to help his intelligence or knowledge. The guy is a total moron (notwithstanding the opinions of those who are starstruck by ivy league sheepskin – as if it really meant anything).

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 2:01 PM

when everybody’s got a little more money at the end of the month

Everybody? Did he say everybody? Hey, Barry, this money is coming out of somebody’s pocket, isn’t it?

Blackacre on October 31, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Here is what Ayn Rand had to say in regards to why the left hates capitalism…

“They [liberals] fail, because no one’s welfare can be achieved by anyone’s sacrifice – and because mans welfare is not the socialists goal. It is not for its alleged flaws that the altruist-collectivists hate capitalism, but for its virtues.”

“Collectivism does not preach sacrifice as a temporary means to some describable end. Sacrifice is its end – sacrifice as a way of life. It is mans independence, success, prosperity and happiness that collectivists wish to destroy.”

-Theory and Practice, Ayn Rand

I keep a copy of “Capitalism” The Unknown Ideal” on my night stand, great read.

V15J on October 31, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Those who earn the money want to direct it in the manner they see fit, in the most efficient manner possible. That’s not selfish, it’s just common sense.

…classic Leftist thinking: all wealth belongs to the government…from all according to their means, remember.

All private property is theft, trendy socialists used to say, and left their doors unlocked.

Coming from a man who in his adult life has never had a private sector job, what would you expect…the more the government takes, the more it can lavish on the universities in which he works, the more he can expect in the coffers of his community organizing fund, the more he can spread around as a state and national legislator.

It’s selfish to keep what’s yours? Yo, Mr. O…can I ask your wife out on a date? Then again, comrade, why leave it to her to consent or not…just undress her and send her over wrapped in Christmas paper…postage paid….

…to each according to his need, after all….

Puritan1648 on October 31, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Take a page out of Barack’s own book.

RULE 4: “Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.” If the rule is that every letter gets a reply, send 30,000 letters. You can kill them with this because no one can possibly obey all of their own rules. (This is a serious rule. The besieged entity’s very credibility and reputation is at stake, because if activists catch it lying or not living up to its commitments, they can continue to chip away at the damage.)

RULE 5: “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.” There is no defense. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions. (Pretty crude, rude and mean, huh? They want to create anger and fear.)

RULE 10: “If you push a negative hard enough, it will push through and become a positive.” Violence from the other side can win the public to your side because the public sympathizes with the underdog. (Unions used this tactic. Peaceful [albeit loud] demonstrations during the heyday of unions in the early to mid-20th Century incurred management’s wrath, often in the form of violence that eventually brought public sympathy to their side.)

RULE 12: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.” Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy. Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions. (This is cruel, but very effective. Direct, personalized criticism and ridicule works.)

Speakup on October 31, 2008 at 2:03 PM

I’m just surprised that Obama and Biden haven’t promised the Anti-Dog-Eat-Dog legislation to prevent people from achieving more than others.

Oh wait, they ARE…

Physics Geek on October 31, 2008 at 2:04 PM

DFCtomm on October 31, 2008 at 2:00 PM

It ends when they actually succeed. Then they are deemed the enemy and taxed back into failure.

zmdavid on October 31, 2008 at 2:04 PM

LimeyGeek on October 31, 2008 at 1:58 PM

That’s how I feel, but, I’m having to fight that fight at work.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to go to bat for a person whose resume looks sold and whose phone interview went very well, but they aren’t sure about bringing them in for a full interview because, “They didn’t go to college and that says something about them.”

They have yet been able to provide me with a convincing argument for how a B.F.A. will help someone in an engineering marketing company.

JadeNYU on October 31, 2008 at 2:04 PM

This just makes me sick, what a narcissistic megalomaniac.

Kevin in Washington State on October 31, 2008 at 2:05 PM

If he truly believed in unselfishness, when he needed to make space on his campaign plane he would have thrown off his best friends or decided by lot. If believes in acting selfishly, he would throw off people who disagree with him.

snaggletoothie on October 31, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Another way to look at Obama’s view is how his tax plans will affect the incentives to invest of those he intends to subject to higher taxes (now all those with incomes over $120,000?!)

The link above will take you to a tool that will allow you to run the numbers not just for Obama’s “selfish,” but for yourself!

ironman on October 31, 2008 at 2:05 PM