Obama kicks dissenting reporters off plane

posted at 10:25 am on October 31, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Remember the outrage when John McCain’s campaign kicked Maureen Dowd off of his airplane in Pennsylvania?  I wonder whether the same defenders of Truth and Journalism will bother to squeak up now that Barack Obama has cleared his own plane of dissenters.  Reporters from the New York Post, Washington Times, and Dallas Morning News have been declared persona non grata after their editors endorsed McCain:

The Obama campaign has decided to heave out three newspapers from its plane for the final days of its blitz across battleground states — and all three endorsed Sen. John McCain for president!

The NY POST, WASHINGTON TIMES and DALLAS MORNING NEWS have all been told to move out by Sunday to make room for network bigwigs — and possibly for the inclusion of reporters from two black magazines, ESSENCE and JET, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned. …

Some told the DRUDGE REPORT that the reporters are being ousted to bring on documentary film-makers to record the final days; others expect to see on board more sympathetic members of the media, including the NY TIMES’ Maureen Dowd, who once complained that she was barred from McCain’s Straight Talk Express airplane.

This seems like a strange time to upset the applecart.  Why not do this a month ago?  Anyone could have predicted that the Post and the Times would endorse McCain, and the Morning News was not much of a surprise, either.

Had they acted a few weeks ago, they could have made it look like Team Obama wanted to give secondary media outlets a chance.  Now it just looks like vindictiveness, and perhaps even worse.  Obama and his supporters have gotten vicious with reporters who ask questions and do research that put Obama in a bad light, and this adds to the general pattern we’ve seen since the primaries.

It also looks a little self-indulgent.  Obama’s clearing room on the plane for — what?  Documentarians who will produce hagiographies about his historic importance.  That fits into another pattern we’ve seen for months, one marked with fake presidential seals, The Barackopolis, and infomercials.  In the coming Age of Obama, only the worshipers will get front-row seats to history.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Be gone, Heretics!

So saith O! His name be praised.

Lehosh on October 31, 2008 at 10:28 AM

In the coming Age of Obama, only the worshipers who have their mark of discipleship will get front-row seats to history.

this cult of personality is something I have only seen historically in places like nazi germany. our country has become full of fools who will follow the pied piper off the cliff.

the founders would be disgusted. these dems don’t deserve the freedoms others have died for. its pathetic.

right4life on October 31, 2008 at 10:28 AM

I think the press is realizing, a little too late, that they’re head over heels in love with a miniature version of Mao.

sammypants on October 31, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Hubris, thy name is Obama.

Flyover Country on October 31, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Dallas Morning News is depending upon this election going for McCain.
Otherwise, they will be disassembled.

carbon_footprint on October 31, 2008 at 10:29 AM

“Silence! I kill you.”

-Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 31, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Anyone see that Palin and Obama are now characters in Mercenaries 2 for xbox360/Ps3??

JVelez on October 31, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Any chance those reporters with unexpected free time will use it to properly vet Obama?

Terrie on October 31, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Hubris. Arrogance. Desperation. Smells like an epic backfire is in the making…

JAM on October 31, 2008 at 10:29 AM

He’ll be burning books next

LimeyGeek on October 31, 2008 at 10:30 AM

At least McCain kicked them off when the plane was on the ground….

Wine_N_Dine on October 31, 2008 at 10:31 AM

only the worshipers will get front-row seats to history.

Limerick on October 31, 2008 at 10:31 AM

right4life on October 31, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Even I’ll send up an “Amen” to that :)

LimeyGeek on October 31, 2008 at 10:31 AM

“Silence! I kill you.”

-Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 31, 2008 at 10:29 AM

I liked Carlos the Jackal’s saying better…you go to a better place….

right4life on October 31, 2008 at 10:32 AM

You forgot to mention that the WashTimes is NOT happy:

Abby Adams on October 31, 2008 at 10:32 AM

He’ll be burning books next

LimeyGeek on October 31, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Try saying that with a straight face while looking into a mirror. Actually try doing that with everything you write.

crr6 on October 31, 2008 at 10:32 AM

I liked Carlos the Jackal’s saying better…you go to a better place….

right4life on October 31, 2008 at 10:32 AM

I liked Beavis’ saying better….”fartknocker”

LimeyGeek on October 31, 2008 at 10:33 AM

Well, at least they weren’t thrown under the bus…lol

modnar on October 31, 2008 at 10:33 AM

What is the difference in a Socialist and a Communist?

I have been working on the assumption that it is the army that backs up the socialist that make him a Communist… does that make Bambi a Commi since he plans on having his own Army?

rgranger on October 31, 2008 at 10:33 AM

crr6 on October 31, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Are you 12 years old?

LimeyGeek on October 31, 2008 at 10:33 AM

They should be grateful they weren’t flying at the time…I guess that would only happen if Bill Ayers was on board.

austinnelly on October 31, 2008 at 10:34 AM

What is the difference in a Socialist and a Communist?

Socialism is Communism’s more politically astute cousin.

LimeyGeek on October 31, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Maureen Dowd is not a news reporter, she’s a columnist. The reporters kicked off Obama’s plane were not columnists, they were news reporters.

I’m sorry, if this guy gets elected 90% of the country will be puking by March 1 wondering what the hell they ate.

BigD on October 31, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Fear of exposure indicates a man fearful of disaster.

Let’s hope his fears are well-founded.

MadisonConservative on October 31, 2008 at 10:35 AM

He’ll be burning books next

LimeyGeek on October 31, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Meanwhile, the media, gearing up for 2012, will be in Wasila conducting interviews with the town libarian about Palin’s supposed book banning.

BuckeyeSam on October 31, 2008 at 10:36 AM

I just hope Obarky has Ayers write another auto-biography for him.

It can be titled, “Why I’m So Frickin’ Awesome” by Barack Oborg.

Bishop on October 31, 2008 at 10:36 AM

I am struck mostly by the pettiness and immaturity this displays. Like his attacks on FoxNews, Obama is so soft and weak he can’t tolerate even the slightest whiff of dissent.

I suspect Frail Wuss-in-Chief Obama is in for a big surprise if he wins.

Gilda on October 31, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Was it mid-air?

Tommy_G on October 31, 2008 at 10:37 AM

What is the difference in a Socialist and a Communist?

A socialist will whip you into the rice paddies with a smile on his face.

Bishop on October 31, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Before I wanted Obama to lose because I didn’t want a socalist nanny state.

Now I want him to lose so I can laugh at him and all his loser supporters.

Maybe when he loses many of them will finally go out and get a job. Perhaps unemployment will go down as a result.

chb03c on October 31, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Mini Mao

danking70 on October 31, 2008 at 10:38 AM

That fits into another pattern we’ve seen for months, one marked with fake presidential seals, The Barackopolis, and infomercials. In the coming Age of Obama, only the worshipers will get front-row seats to history.

If you can’t dazzle them with brilliance and accomplishments… Baffle ‘em with bull$hit

FlatFoot on October 31, 2008 at 10:38 AM

The airplane Nazi:

“NO PLANE RIDE FOR YOU”

Bicyea on October 31, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Did someone run to Biden, complaining that his ears were being ridiculed again?

Bishop on October 31, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Only lemmings allowed. All others please disembark the plane. The messiah and his disciples are uncomfortable with infidels in their presence.

volsense on October 31, 2008 at 10:39 AM

The elites thinking they are so smart sitting at the dictators table, when little do they know, they are the first that have to go.

tarpon on October 31, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Are you 12 years old?

LimeyGeek on October 31, 2008 at 10:33 AM

You give him too much credit.

MarkTheGreat on October 31, 2008 at 10:40 AM

I still cannot believe the Dallas Morning News endorsed McCain. Hey, I’m thrilled about it. Just cannot believe it.

I’m sure it is just coincidence that the papers asked to make room were all papers that did not endorse Dark Barry.

kybowexar on October 31, 2008 at 10:40 AM

And at the post-election party, only tithes-paying worshipers allowed.
Imagine, charging hundreds of dollars each to cover an election.

jgapinoy on October 31, 2008 at 10:40 AM

Baffle ‘em with bull$hit

And if that doesn’t work, data-mine everything in their history and ruin their life.

Bishop on October 31, 2008 at 10:40 AM

Documentarians who will produce hagiographies about his historic importance.

Which is typical of marxists, communists, and their enablers. They rewrite history.

Blake on October 31, 2008 at 10:40 AM

What is the difference in a Socialist and a Communist
*snip*

rgranger on October 31, 2008 at 10:33 AM

To which I answer:

“There is no difference between communism and socialism, except in the means of achieving the same ultimate end: communism proposes to enslave men by force, socialism – by vote. It is merely the difference between murder and suicide.”
-Ayn Rand

Vic on October 31, 2008 at 10:40 AM

Hey it’s a good move. I mean Jet is going to be read by lots of undecideds. It could sway the election….right?

Oldnuke on October 31, 2008 at 10:40 AM

Guess none of these papers felt that thrill running up their leg, huh?

pilamaye on October 31, 2008 at 10:41 AM

What is the difference in a Socialist and a Communist?

The communist is honest about his goals.

MarkTheGreat on October 31, 2008 at 10:41 AM

At least BHO didn’t whine about how those papers cost him votes, like he did about Fox News.
BHO won’t be content until all media are like Chrissie & Odormann.

jgapinoy on October 31, 2008 at 10:41 AM

<blockquoteWell I guarandamnteeya that I’ll be a back seat driver screaming an hollering at every turn and stop light.

Limerick on October 31, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Okay, that was hilarious.

Limerick, you owe me a new monitor.

kybowexar on October 31, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Did Obama finally figure out who wrote the “Stinky Plane” story?

Bicyea on October 31, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Limerick on October 31, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Okay, that was hilarious.

Limerick, you owe me a new monitor.

kybowexar on October 31, 2008 at 10:42 AM

kybowexar on October 31, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Waiting for the Sunday editorials (and maybe even news stories) with baited breath… We could actually see some reporting this year.

Vashta.Nerada on October 31, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Hubris. Arrogance. Desperation. Smells like an epic backfire is in the making…

JAM on October 31, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Exactly. The very few negative MSM articles on Obama came right around the time Biden was publicly cutting off media outlets that asked him actual questions.

Now we’ll see if the MSM is enamored enough with the idea of an Obama presidency to step aside and let the government write their articles for them.

Dissent is no longer an option.

Dorvillian on October 31, 2008 at 10:43 AM

BHO wants only media that will portray him in a certain light.
Kinda like the way N Korea’s media portray Kim Dung Hill.

jgapinoy on October 31, 2008 at 10:43 AM

This nonsense is precisly the kind of thing that will make Obama’s fail on Nov 4 more epic than even I imagined it would be. Heaven hath no rage like love to hatred turned nor hell a fury like a media scorned. The will bury him alive, salt the earth over his head and pronounce a curse over the spot.

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Neon lights, a nobel prize
The mirror speaks, the reflection lies
You dont have to follow me
Only you can set me free
I sell the things you need to be
I’m the smiling face on your t.v.
I’m the cult of personality
I exploit you still you love me

I tell you one and one makes three
I’m the cult of personality
Like Joseph Stalin and Gandhi
I’m the cult of personality
Cult of personality
Cult of personality

capitalist piglet on October 31, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Did Obama finally figure out who wrote the “Stinky Plane” story?

Bicyea on October 31, 2008 at 10:42 AM

LOL….now I’ve got that “Smelly Cat” song running through my mind….

LimeyGeek on October 31, 2008 at 10:44 AM

A clear indicator of how everyday Americans will be treated if they don’t worship at the foot of Obama

doginblack on October 31, 2008 at 10:45 AM

I’m not as concerned about that as I am about Obama’s introducing new personae into his lectures to counter Joe the Plumber.

The most ominous one?

“Randy the Re-Educator.”

Beware.

jeff_from_mpls on October 31, 2008 at 10:45 AM

What? No reporters from Mohammed Speaks?

Coronagold on October 31, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Obama – The Great Divider among Americans. Maybe he needs a seat for William Ayers?

Kevin in Washington State on October 31, 2008 at 10:46 AM

I feel like there is real censorship at work within the Obama Campaign. Add this to TV stations being denied interviews if they don’t ask “the right” questions. Seems like a pattern.

kanda on October 31, 2008 at 10:46 AM

How about this: STOP LINKING TO KP, PN, et al. Unless there is some lucrative kick back scheme, why boost their numbers? By this time, we are all familiar with their changing views. Do we need to be reminded daily? I, for one, will never follow a link to those morons. Just like I don’t give a shop, restaurant, vendor or contractor a nickel more of my money when they clearly don’t deserve it, I also don’t give my “readership” to columnists seeking only inside the beltway approval. It’s a waste of valuable HA screen space.

CC – BHO: “my Muslim faith”

CapedConservative on October 31, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Post racial candidate, indeed. Is this the beginning of that long awaited national dialogue on race he promised? What better signal to send than freeing up some space for magazines defining differences? If he insists on a leopard skin robe for any victory celebration, I’m gonna start to suspect he isn’t sincere.

a capella on October 31, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Peggy Noonan’s probably sitting at her desk wondering, “Whoa, wait a minute! I thought one of those seats was for me!”

BigD on October 31, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Personally I hope he beats the crap out of the main stream media.

I hope his little National Civilian Security Force roughs them up.

As they say, you need to hit rock bottom before you kick yourself in the ass and admit you have a problem.

jeff_from_mpls on October 31, 2008 at 10:51 AM

A chill wind is a blowin’…

All hail MaObama, Dear Leader! Fuhshizzle! Fuhshizzle! Fuhsizzle!

Wyznowski on October 31, 2008 at 10:53 AM

What is the difference in a Socialist and a Communist?

Semantics.

Let’s roll!

ex-Democrat on October 31, 2008 at 10:53 AM

And I’m willing to bet their is no outcry from the “in favor” media concubines

clnurnberg on October 31, 2008 at 10:53 AM

To paraphrase John Kerry, “I can’t believe we are going to elect this idiot!”

mwdiver on October 31, 2008 at 10:54 AM

crr6 on October 31, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Try looking at what you know about Barack Obama.

He’s a gun grabber. He mocked and ridiculed a private citizen from the stump, and may have been part of a campaign to destroy the man. For twenty years, he attended a church not devoted to Christ, but to Black Liberation Theology – which are not even closely related. He apparently doesn’t tolerate less than complete devotion, and he doesn’t like his campaign to be questioned. He doesn’t seem to have a problem with voter fraud as long as he’s the benefactor, and we know from his history that he will use dirty tactics to grab power, even against his friends (Alice Palmer, anyone?). He has surrounded himself with Marxists, criminals, terrorists, and terrorist sympathizers his entire life. He has created his own visual symbols, which (coincidentally) conjure images of communist thugs throughout history.

But I’m certain he would never do anything so outrageous as banning some reading materials. That just wouldn’t be in character.

capitalist piglet on October 31, 2008 at 10:54 AM

I’m surprised he didn’t toss the LA Times reporter who wrote about how Obama is an inaccessible cipher.

The next thing I’m expecting is for Obama to cut off the entire media, buy the internet with his leftover campaign money, and exert total control over the message for the last three days before the election.

aero on October 31, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Stop bitching. They were only kicked off the plane. It isn’t like they’ve been sent to the gulag or prison (yet).

moxie_neanderthal on October 31, 2008 at 10:55 AM

What is the difference in a Socialist and a Communist?

* Socialism: You have two cows. The government takes one and gives it to someone else. You form a cooperative to tell him how to manage his cow.
* Communism: You have two cows. The government takes both of them and evenly distributes the milk. You wait in line for hours to get it. It is expensive and sour.
* Capitalism: You have two cows. You sell one, buy a bull, and build a herd.

carbon_footprint on October 31, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Arrogance America! This would be one plane that I would be relieved to be kicked off. After all, we hear it really stinks and is dirty.

bopbottle on October 31, 2008 at 10:55 AM

My wife won’t vote for him because she said in his commercial he will fight for insurance for those who have preexisting conditions…What does McCain say about this and how can I change her mind?

tomas on October 31, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Dr Cwac Cwac

Hmmmm I have a sudden urge for jalapeno…… on a steek!

MNDavenotPC on October 31, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Able to part the press corps with the wave of his staff.

moxie_neanderthal on October 31, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Let’s see:
Going through Joe the Plumber’s records “simply because he’s now a media figure”
Kicking reporters from newspapers that endorsed The One’s opponent off the plane.

I’m sure Dave Rywall & Tom Shipley will have reasons why this pattern is ok.

rbj on October 31, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Q: What is the difference between Obama and Putin?

A: Putin is not a Communist

jerryofva on October 31, 2008 at 10:56 AM

jeff_from_mpls on October 31, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Oh yes, I forgot to mention in my 10:54 that he wants to create a civilian national security force, as well funded as our nation’s military. Thanks for the reminder.

capitalist piglet on October 31, 2008 at 10:56 AM

He kicked a reporter off the plane, not the newspaper.
Dowd was caught using internet rumors as fact, dissing Palin with crazy rumors from dKos, so she was kicked off not the NYT.
It is not unusual to kick a specific reporter off…but to kick three newspapers off.
We will see the NYT, Globe, Post, LAT, etc. complain about this….yeah, sure.

right2bright on October 31, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Which does this indicate?
a. Obama truly believes it’s over, and it’s time to document the party.
b. Last shot attempt to ensure that all coverage is drooling, because they know the polls are all skewed.

attemptedthinking on October 31, 2008 at 10:57 AM

BigD on October 31, 2008 at 10:50 AM

I’m afraid poor Peg’s position will be more one of cold drink fetcher, seat adjuster, foot rubber, and token white conservative. I hope the sudden realization doesn’t do her harm. All these years being SOMEBODY,…and now a glorified servant. Wowser!

a capella on October 31, 2008 at 10:57 AM

“Essence and Jet?” Heh heh heh…..

Star20 on October 31, 2008 at 10:58 AM

It’s Halloween children……listen…..listen closely.

Can you hear that? Off in the distance and getting louder by the minute?

That faint sound of laughter?

It seems to be coming from Dr. Goebbels grave…………

FiveWays on October 31, 2008 at 10:58 AM

The only difference between this leftwing scumbag and Hitler is that Hitler actually wrote his own autobiography (Mein Kampf).

TexasJew on October 31, 2008 at 10:59 AM

McCain kicked someone off his plane

tomas on October 31, 2008 at 10:59 AM

How dare you all use His name without adding PBUH and SWT!!!!!

blatantblue on October 31, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Vic
well said and if I may add:

It only stands to reason that where there’s sacrifice, there’s someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there’s service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.
Ayn Rand

MNDavenotPC on October 31, 2008 at 11:01 AM

rgranger on October 31, 2008 at 10:33 AM

I think we might be looking at something much worse.

Understanding Obama: The Making of a Fuehrer By Ali Sina

Nahanni on October 31, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Grrr…

Link didnt take….

Nahanni on October 31, 2008 at 11:02 AM

This is yet another tactic straight out of Saul Alinsky’s playbook.

According to Alinsky, “Ego must be so all-pervading that the personality of the organizer is contagious, that it converts the people from despair to defiance, creating a mass ego.”

The student becomes the master?

cannonball on October 31, 2008 at 11:02 AM

McCain kicked someone off his plane

tomas on October 31, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Obama kicked three newspapers off his plane.

carbon_footprint on October 31, 2008 at 11:02 AM

You know what would really go a long way toward ending the disgusting MSM or lewinsky-media’s hold on our culture?

The ability to purchase Cable or Satellite channels cafeteria style.

The current “opt-out” system means you still have to buy the filth like MTV and MSNBC whether you want it or not, but you get the privelege of being able to program your box to restrict access. But the culture of death gets its fees either way.

If we demand an “opt-in” system, any loser who wants to can still order up Larry King, Chris Matthews, The Daily Show, the Green Channel, and other intellectual porn, but we can order up what we want and let the rest live or die on its own merits, without our subsidy.

jeff_from_mpls on October 31, 2008 at 11:03 AM

McCain kicked someone off his plane

tomas on October 31, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Not because her paper endorsed Obama.

capitalist piglet on October 31, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Q: What is the difference between Obama and Putin?

A: Putin is not a Communist

jerryofva on October 31, 2008 at 10:56 AM

moxie_neanderthal on October 31, 2008 at 11:04 AM

I wonder what percentage of HA commenters will get an IRS audit in ’09.

Limerick on October 31, 2008 at 11:05 AM