McCain ad: “Obama praises McCain”

posted at 7:35 am on October 31, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

If you’re expecting some hard-hitting advertising from Team McCain in the final few days before the election, this will disappoint.  The entire ad consists of Barack Obama talking about the McCain-Lieberman bill on global warming, offering his support:

ANNCR: The truth on global warming:

BARACK OBAMA: The right approach begins with the proposal put forward by Senator Lieberman and Senator McCain. The Lieberman-McCain bill establishes limits for greenhouse gas emissions. It’s a framework that’s not only good for the environment, it’s also good for business. I want to thank Senator Lieberman, as well as Senator McCain, for the outstanding leadership that they’ve shown.

Fabulous. At a time when John McCain needs to show Obama as unready and outside the mainstream — easily done on issues like abortion and the economy — he’s spending money showing how reasonable Obama can be. I understand McCain wants to make the sale with centrists and independents, but this only makes Obama more palatable to the middle. I’m guessing that they feel this shows Obama as a follower rather than a leader, but what it shows is that Obama can reach across the aisle — exactly opposite of what McCain has argued.

McCain has four days to drive home three themes that show the stark differences between the two candidates: redistributionism, runaway Democratic policymaking, and unreadiness to assume command of American foreign and military policy. Ads like this are sheer folly.

Comments

Dick “The Toe” Morris said it takes about 4 days of frequent airing for the central message of a political ad to “sink in” with the voters and reach maximum effectiveness. Why focus the voters on energy issues right now? Yes, gas prices sucked this summer, but in Ohio, where I live, regular unleaded is down to $2.10 a gallon, and people have stopped taking the bus and are driving to work again.

I would run with a straight “socialist,” “redistribution,” “spread the wealth around” message, because that’s exactly what Obama is going to do if elected… I would also tie Obama in with Reid, Pelosi, Frank and Dodd.

That’s the only chance McCain’s got. This is a waste of time and what precious few resources he has.

Outlander on October 31, 2008 at 7:41 AM

OBAMA- untested, unqualified, unsteady, not ready!

profitsbeard on October 31, 2008 at 7:42 AM

Yeah, this is kind of dumb. Hope they pull it immediatement.

misslizzi on October 31, 2008 at 7:42 AM

Hey, there’s always room for McCain as Obama’s Globull Warming Czar. Reach around it, Johnny.

Fletch54 on October 31, 2008 at 7:46 AM

Oh, my god…what the

tomas on October 31, 2008 at 7:46 AM

I can’t bring myself to watch it.

forest on October 31, 2008 at 7:48 AM

I like this ad.It’s soft, but one of the left’s argument for Obama is that he will “take care of the environment” better than McCain.

That being said, donate to the National Republican Trust so they can blast the swing states with their Rev Wright ads.

gracie on October 31, 2008 at 7:50 AM

Sooooooooo. We get to the end of Oct., and no surprises. They had nothing. Nothing. If Joe the Plumber hadn’t fallen into his lap, McCain would be completely dead.

What the hell is wrong with his campaign? Were they counting on the election fairy to show up and save them?

anniekc on October 31, 2008 at 7:51 AM

anniekc at 7:51 AM-

….the election fairy…?

Unless it is Obama’s boyfriend, and they have very good photos of them together, not likely.

profitsbeard on October 31, 2008 at 8:00 AM

anniekc on October 31, 2008 at 7:51 AM

Larry Sinclair is doing a TV interview today that should be broadcast multiple times until election day. He’s the gay man who said he used cocaine and had gay sex with Obama twice in Nov of 1999 in the Chicago area.

gracie on October 31, 2008 at 8:01 AM

It’s a rare event that I figure out these video’s before your comments Ed. But this ad is so blatantly ASININE that even I figured it out half way through. His campaign seems determined to keep this thing as close as possible. What ever happened to the concept of kicking your opponent when you’ve got him on the ground?

Ya know, I fought a golden glove boxer in the eight grade. He made a mistake and I put him on the ground. My compassion kicked in and I let him up. For some unknown reason, his compassion did not kick in and he went on to kick the crap out of me. Damn near blinded me in one eye.

Never again did that happen. You fight to win, not to look good in the end by counting on your opponents good graces.

csdeven on October 31, 2008 at 8:01 AM

michelle o agress with all of us

ConservativePartyNow on October 31, 2008 at 8:01 AM

michelle o agress with all of us

ConservativePartyNow on October 31, 2008 at 8:01 AM

THAT is the tone of ads they should be running.

csdeven on October 31, 2008 at 8:03 AM

What’s that saying?? God loves fools, drunks and the United States of America??
Something like that??
God caused McCain to pick Sarah Palin,, and Joe the plumber has been God’s gift as well.
McCain will win this in spite of himself!
We had two rallies here yesterday. Sarah Palin and Joe Biden.
Joe had his rally at Lycoming College,,, Sarah at one of our baseball stadiums,,,
Sarah had 13,000 people show! Ol Joe, say it ain’t so could only muster no more that 700 on a freakin college campus!!!
McCain is gonna win PA and Sarah is going to do it for him!

JellyToast on October 31, 2008 at 8:05 AM

Whoever developed this ad and thought it is timely should be fired for incompetence.

Right_of_Attila on October 31, 2008 at 8:05 AM

anniekc on October 31, 2008 at 7:51 AM

I hear bin laden may not even be able to help this year. Intell has been attacking the jihad websites along with the Pakistani caves.

Rovin on October 31, 2008 at 8:05 AM

OMG HE AGREES WITH ME THEREFORE I WOULD BE A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN HIM BECAUSE AT THIS ONE MOMENT IN TIME THAT I TOOK HIS WORDS ENTIRELY OUT OF THE CONTEXT THEY WERE ORIGINALLY USED IN, HE SAID ONE OF MY IDEAS WAS GOOD OMG OMG OMG NAILED IT
-John McCain, Desperate Express, Oct 31/08

Dave Rywall on October 31, 2008 at 8:06 AM

You guys are wrong. I don’t agree with McCain on the global warming BS, but this is a very big independent issue and this is an excellent commercial for McCain for that marginal group. Elections are won on the margin and unless you are a nut case like Peggy Noonan, no one who is a conservative will vote for a socialist like Obama. And Obama with his anti-American and Jew hating friends, and his promises to kill the US defense budget is not getting any foreign policy conservatives. And with his infanticide policy on abortion he is not getting any social conservatives. This leaves the eco heads. McCain is wrong on this, but not as wrong as Obama who would turn this all over to the UN. This is an effective ad right now

georgealbert on October 31, 2008 at 8:07 AM

I wish we had a tape of Wright saying “G*d Damn the Environment!”

marklmail on October 31, 2008 at 8:10 AM

Ed,

You are forgetting one thing, McCain needs to separate himself from Bush. This is one issue that Bush and McCain disagree on. It’s more of a “I’m not 4 more years of Bush” ad.

terryannonline on October 31, 2008 at 8:14 AM

Dave Rywall on October 31, 2008 at 8:06 AM

I sense a level of fear in your response Dave. The stupidity of that ad was crystal clear, but you have gone hyperbolic on it. Your response in cap locks doesn’t make it any more damaging. It just appears that you are looking for a McCain mistake along the lines of Obama’s “spread the wealth” disaster, to seize on. You can relax because if McCain ever makes one of those, most of us will notice it before you do.

csdeven on October 31, 2008 at 8:14 AM

Oh geez, Global Warming is dead…but nobody has really played to that crowd yet, so it could be beneficial.

Grafted on October 31, 2008 at 8:14 AM

Hey, just points out how much work we have left to do after McCain is elected. Hopefully, he will stick to the plan of putting Palin in charge of reform and energy. In both cases, she can go straight to the public (IF McCain permits) to obtain public support for the reforms so badly needed and the “do it all” energy approach.

CC – BHO: “my Muslim faith”

CapedConservative on October 31, 2008 at 8:16 AM

I think they know the base is voting for Sarah and not necessarily for McCain. This ad is geared, as you say, specificially to squishy moderates who just can’t bear to commit yet.

SouthernGent on October 31, 2008 at 8:17 AM

csdeven on October 31, 2008 at 8:14 AM
——-
Nope – no fear here. Just pointing out how lame the spot is.

It is too late for McCain. Everyone’s thinking about Halloween now, so today and tonight nobody’s putting any energy into the election. Tomorrow and Sunday, people have to go to Home Depot and do errands for fall.

At this point, McCain has to pull a bunch of truly desperate things out of his a*ss to get anyone’s attention.

Dave Rywall on October 31, 2008 at 8:22 AM

OMG OMG NAILED IT
-John McCain, Desperate Express, Oct 31/08

Dave Rywall on October 31, 2008 at 8:06 AM

Hi davey. I know you’re their morning person, but could you please stop shouting. I was up late last night and haven’t had my coffee yet. Tks. hun.

JiangxiDad on October 31, 2008 at 8:23 AM

Who the hell is advising McCain? Mark McKinnon?

flashback:

ABC News’ Teddy Davis Reports: On Wednesday, a top adviser to John McCain said more definitively than he has in the past that he will step down from the Arizona senator’s presidential campaign if the presumed GOP nominee faces Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., in the general election.

“I would simply be uncomfortable being in a campaign that would be inevitably attacking Barack Obama,” said McCain adviser Mark McKinnon in an interview with NPR’s “All Things Considered.” “I think it would be uncomfortable for me, and I think it would be bad for the McCain campaign.”

Buy Danish on October 31, 2008 at 8:25 AM

SouthernGent on October 31, 2008 at 8:17 AM

Can you imagine, with the money he’s had to spend, and the prime time television extravaganza, Berlin spectaculars, football stadium orations, he still can’t get to 50%.

Is it possible more people don’t like Barry than do? I hope it doesn’t make his self-esteem feel sad.

JiangxiDad on October 31, 2008 at 8:26 AM

So will this; Jeremiah Wright will definitely not re-appear. Sigh.

Cuffy Meigs on October 31, 2008 at 8:29 AM

So will this; Jeremiah Wright will definitely not re-appear. Sigh.

Cuffy Meigs on October 31, 2008 at 8:29 AM

Don’t forget the 527′s. The one Dick Morris keeps referring to on Hannity,

has raised over 4 million ($200 courtesy of moi) to run Wright ads in battleground states.

JiangxiDad on October 31, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Can’t………click…….on……..that………link….

Jed1899 on October 31, 2008 at 8:33 AM

Geez. Every time I come to a thread like this I have talk some of you dummies down from the ledge. The ads don’t matter much at this point, unless one of them is a bombshell.

The electorate has pretty much made up its mind for McCain. You will see that on November 4.

Now get off the farking ledge.

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 8:34 AM

I don’t know if Dave is truly Canadian, but I do know for absolute sure he’s a woman. Don’t ask me how I know. I just know it like I know the sun will rise in the east tomorrow. It’s not clairvoyance or messages from god. It’s just something I know. There is nothing she or anyone else can say to dissuade me. Trust me,

Dave is a woman. And a fine looking woman too.

JiangxiDad on October 31, 2008 at 8:40 AM

JiangxiDad on October 31, 2008 at 8:40 AM

If only you had this kind of knowledge about the election. *sigh*

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 8:42 AM

Yeah, that ad really got my competitive juices flowing! I especially became “up and down” excited seeing the part 24 seconds in where McCain looks benignly resigned to an also-ran fate.

Sailfish on October 31, 2008 at 8:47 AM

Ed, while “WE ALL” would like to see “Team McCain” ads
blowing away the facade of extremist-Obama’s “moderate” nature on topics like

* abortion
* economy
* redistributionism/socialism
* runaway Democratic policymaking

It *I*S* also important to balance the truth-telling “negative” with this sort of ad. REMEMBER: It wasn’t so long ago that folks on this site were praising the quick turnaround after a debate that there was an ad in which Obama said “McCain was right” 9 times or so.

YES, it’s a frustrating time. I also want to (metaphorically…) wring a few announcers necks, but there is power in both techniques; knowing the target audience is the key.

Lockstein13 on October 31, 2008 at 8:48 AM

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 8:42 AM

Each of us is gifted in his own way. Your gift serves mankind, mine serves womankind.

JiangxiDad on October 31, 2008 at 8:53 AM

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 8:34 AM

The voice of reason.

Vote. That is all it will take.

keebs on October 31, 2008 at 9:00 AM

Lockstein13 on October 31, 2008 at 8:48 AM

Here’s the diff:

Global warming is a hoax. The planet is cooling. The Cap and Trade idea is a ginormous tax increase on every single one of us and would be the final nail in prosperity’s coffin.

And as Ed said, this ad only serves to make Obama look more palatable to voters.

It’s absolute madness.

Buy Danish on October 31, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Obama has done nothing but break his promises since the beginning of his campaign.
Campaign finance reform.
NSA wiretapping.
Went from pull the troops from Iraq immediately to based on conditions on the ground.
Now agrees the surge was a success(but still would not have
voted for it).
Now is a big defender of the 2nd Amendment.
Okay with drilling.
Thinks Iraq was a big mistake but has no problem putting
troops in Pakistan and Dafuer.
Went from loving and depending on Rev. Wright as his “moral
compass” to “I don’t even know this man”.

over and over and over Obama has been able to backtrack,back stab,or outright lie with the MSM covering and defending him.
McCain should pound him with this and combine it with this:

Obama Lays Plans to Kill Expectations After Election Victory
Confident in an Election Day win, the campaign looks to lower supporters’ expectations on concerns their hopes of ‘change’ are unrealistic, a senior aide says

Barack Obama’s senior advisers have drawn up plans to lower expectations for his presidency if he wins next week’s election, amid concerns that many of his euphoric supporters are harboring unrealistic hopes of what he can achieve.
The sudden financial crisis and the prospect of a deep and painful recession have increased the urgency inside the Obama team to bring people down to earth, after a campaign in which his soaring rhetoric and promises of “hope” and “change” are now confronted with the reality of a stricken economy.

No freaking kidding. This is what Republicans have been saying all along.There is no way Obama can achieve all the things he has been bragging about for over a year.He has never been put on the spot to say exactly where he would get the money for trillions of dollars worth of promises he
has made.His track record all the way back to his failed community organizer days show plain as day that he has always made many promises and inspiring speeches only to come up empty in the action and solution department.

I would like to see Palin and many ads for the next few days pound him on this.Expose this liberal puppet.

Baxter Greene on October 31, 2008 at 9:03 AM

It’s absolute madness.

Buy Danish on October 31, 2008 at 9:01 AM

McCain’s just reminding you of the good days ahead when he’s President. He wants us to know that we’ll still have plenty of stuff to write about. He’s good that way.

JiangxiDad on October 31, 2008 at 9:04 AM

So will this; Jeremiah Wright will definitely not re-appear. Sigh.

Cuffy Meigs on October 31, 2008 at 8:29 AM

Which is why McCain will be absolutely crucified by conservatives if he loses on Tuesday. You do not leave your best weapon in the box when you’re in a fight for your life.

csdeven on October 31, 2008 at 9:23 AM

curious. In his speaking engagements this week, Mac has been very ‘on message.’ this ad isn’t.

james23 on October 31, 2008 at 9:27 AM

Calm down it could have been worse:
He could have done it in Spanish

McCain, STFU and let Palin do the talkin!

dhunter on October 31, 2008 at 10:46 AM

I think this is good. (Don’t throw anything…)

I’ve been reading the PUMA sites…and they are super organized and are really, really comfortable voting for him because of this typically liberal position. we have to understand that, given both R candidates’ positions on Life (which is the correct position!) definitely puts them in the social conservative camp, Mac’s (gag) bipartisan reach on global warming reinforces his centrism, while Obama (as highlighted in this video) has ONLY coopted other’s work. So, this works on a couple of levels.

Mommypundit on October 31, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Dave is a woman. And a fine looking woman too.

JiangxiDad on October 31, 2008 at 8:40 AM
———-
You’re not allowed within 100 metres of a playground, are you.

Dave Rywall on October 31, 2008 at 11:21 AM

I can only hope there’s some small niche region where their polling shows that the only lingering doubt an important set of undecideds have is whether McCain will be good for the environment…

Despite the election being shifted into a referendum on Obama, I really think there are a number of undecideds who are leaning McCain, but need to be reassured about ______. (I think it’s mostly the economy, but what do I know?)

Perhaps this ad is airing in Maine, and is needed to put the first district there into the safe category, for example…

ClintACK on October 31, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Luntz is reaming McCain for getting off message with this idiotic ad, and for not campaigning for Elizabeth Dole and Norm Coleman.

He’s not my go to guy, but he’s spot on with this.

Buy Danish on October 31, 2008 at 4:59 PM