Hot Air exclusive: Patricia Heaton

posted at 2:25 pm on October 31, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Earlier today, I had the pleasure of meeting actor and pro-life activist Patricia Heaton. Heaton starred in “Everybody Loves Raymond”, one of the most popular sitcoms in TV history, and most recently co-starred with fellow conservative Kelsey Grammer in “Back to You”. She came to Minnesota to help build morale with McCain volunteers, and Heaton spend over twenty minutes speaking with me on matters of faith, values, and politics:

Heaton had some interesting analysis of Obama’s oratory skills. Her experience as an actor gives her a “clinical” perspective on public speeches, and she’s impressed with Obama’s ability to manipulate an audience. His message, however, leaves her “cold”. She sees it as a calculation, and wonders when people will start producing some evidence of his supposed post-partisanship.

We spoke at length about the issue of faith and abortion. We share a frustration with fellow Catholics who support Obama, despite his standing as the most radically pro-abortion presidential candidate in history. Heaton belongs to Feminists for Life, and we discussed the basic principle of the right to life, and how the sanctity of life informs all of the social-justice positions of the Catholic Church and how the right to life cannot be separated from them.

I enjoyed speaking with Heaton immensely, and I know you will find her as gracious and thoughtful as I did.

Comments

Nice.

Chudi on October 31, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Patricia “Hottie”

journeyscarab on October 31, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Smart, conservative and pretty. We seem to have all the winners on our side.

Vashta.Nerada on October 31, 2008 at 2:29 PM

definitely always liked her.

wish “Back to You” was still on the air =(

Drunk Report on October 31, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Who knows? Maybe she has a political future ala Reagan. Take a decade and make speeches then come back and win in four landslides.

Mojave Mark on October 31, 2008 at 2:30 PM

You just gave me another reason why I like Patrica Heaton. She’s beautiful, intelligent, and conservative.

jbh45 on October 31, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Ed, Patricia thank you for speaking about faith and politics. Your words and thoughts on the subject give me great comfort.

Angry Dumbo on October 31, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Patricia Heaton is amazing.

christene on October 31, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Chalk up another winner celeb for the good guys and good gals.

She’s awesome!

BuckeyeSam on October 31, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Ed is gonna get famous with his interveiws.

William Amos on October 31, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Heaton’s very talented and I love how she sticks to her guns even though I’m sure it’s costed her many gigs. I need to join FFL if only to hang out with her and Sarah. :)

Pasalubong on October 31, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Ed, will you please put this on itunes….

jbh45 on October 31, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Such an intelligent, level headed strong person. Thanks, Ed. After having visited other threads here, this was breath of fresh air. it feels great. God’s blessings on Patricia Heaton.

MNDavenotPC on October 31, 2008 at 2:35 PM

I always admitted Ms. Heaton in that she has never strayed from her conservative values. Not an easy thing to do in her business. Janine Turner is also a conservative out stumping for McCain/Palin.

Frankly, I’ve never been impressed with Obama’s speaking abilities.

Blake on October 31, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Gary Sinise is one of my favorite actors, and I’m glad to hear he’s one of the sensible ones.

Good ol’ Lieutenant Dan.

MadisonConservative on October 31, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Sweet.

Get her out on the trail this weekend with ‘Cuda. I wonder if she is a member Team Sarah.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 31, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Amazing.

Googling “Sinise Republican” one of the first results I got was this question:

“Will you watch anymore movies with Gary Sinise now that you know he is a republican?”

Now take out the word “republican” and replace it with “democrat”. Nobody would watch a movie ever again. Amazing how hateful these people are.

MadisonConservative on October 31, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Sanity in a time of need!

canopfor on October 31, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Patricia Heaton!

carbon_footprint on October 31, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Let’s see..

-Sarah Palin – Republican – Hot
-Bo Derek – Republican – Hot
-Patricia Heaton – Republican – Hot
-Laura Ingram – Republican – Hot
-Ann Coulter – Republican – Hot
-Michelle Malkin – Republican – Hot….

I’m sensing a pattern…

-Helen Thomas – Democrat…not so much
-Nancy Pelosi – Democrat…ditto
-Madeline Albright – Democrat ….whew ick
-Janet Reno – Democrat – um…ok, I’m getting sick to my stomach…..

Yep, we’ve got the ones with the brains AND the looks.

webproze on October 31, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Team Sarah latest ad: Wink, Wink

Nice.

“Clean and articulate.” Heh.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 31, 2008 at 2:40 PM

When did we change the langauge to refer to actresses as actors and coediennes to comedians? Isn’t that what Libs do?

DerKrieger on October 31, 2008 at 2:40 PM

webproze on October 31, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Eh….You forgot,

Jeri Thompson
Amanda Carpenter
Janine Turner
Teh Hammer

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 31, 2008 at 2:42 PM

My wife has a close friend from college. Big liberal that moved from California to Colorado to get away from… well… California. She is Catholic and had two abortions in college. She is, what I believe, a typical pro-abortion Catholic… trying to justify past deeds. I guess she thinks being forgiven for this comes from other people.

CC – BHO: “my Muslim faith”

CapedConservative on October 31, 2008 at 2:45 PM

I adore Patricia Heaton. There are very few people in public life I could say exude integrity, goodness, and truth, but she’s one of them. Charleton Heston would be another.

I am so grateful to share the Catholic faith with people like her, to have that in common with someone so exemplary.

Lucky Ed.

jeff_from_mpls on October 31, 2008 at 2:45 PM

I still remember when she was Jennifer Love Hewitt’s mom on Party of Five!

Jim Treacher on October 31, 2008 at 2:45 PM

-Helen Thomas – Democrat…not so much
-Nancy Pelosi – Democrat…ditto
-Madeline Albright – Democrat ….whew ick
-Janet Reno – Democrat – um…ok, I’m getting sick to my stomach…..

Yep, we’ve got the ones with the brains AND the looks.

webproze on October 31, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Wait..

Helen Thomas gets a “not so much” but albright gets an “ick”

Is there something more appealing in Thomas than Albright? If so…I want some of what you’re smokin’ :P

lorien1973 on October 31, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Jim Treacher on October 31, 2008 at 2:45 PM

I find it disturbing that you remember anything about Party of Five. Or ever watched it. :P

lorien1973 on October 31, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Teh Hammer

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 31, 2008 at 2:42 PM

carbon_footprint on October 31, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Wink Wink

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on Oct 31,2008 at 2:40PM.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac:Hubba hubba,great ad,thanks for the link!:)

canopfor on October 31, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Honestly, I love Patricia Heaton and her work with Feminists for Life…but I’ve been wondering where the usual Republican celebrities have been for McCain/Palin…early on. Nugent has been out there, Hank Williams, Lee Greenfield, Gretchen Wilson…can you name some others?

Not that it matters…have you seen the hilarious anti-celebrity youtube video. Priceless…(a few words not work-friendly.)

deedledee on October 31, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Some of us watched Full House*– we all have skeletons in the closet. :p

*Why did I just admit this?

Pasalubong on October 31, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Heaton belongs to Feminists for Life,

As is the good governor, Sarah Palin. Which is why the Left has to demonize her.

rbj on October 31, 2008 at 2:49 PM

I’ve known about Patricia Heaton for a long time. I’d have to research, but I believe I’ve heard it reported that her pro-life stance does also include being against the death penalty.

hawkdriver on October 31, 2008 at 2:49 PM

hawkdriver on October 31, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Then I love her even more.

jeff_from_mpls on October 31, 2008 at 2:53 PM

webproze on October 31, 2008 at 2:39 PM

-Michelle Obama – not so much
-Barbara Streisand – ditto
-Joy Behar – double ditto
-Rosie O’Donnell – mega dittos!

Mr_Magoo on October 31, 2008 at 2:53 PM

SHE could play Sarah in a movie about her life!

Brat on October 31, 2008 at 2:57 PM

hawkdriver on October 31, 2008 at 2:49 PM
Then I love her even more.

jeff_from_mpls on October 31, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Yep, still a favorite of mine too. I admire her conviction and respect her views. I’ve struggled with the death penalty issue myself. I eventually came back to the belief that there are people we have a right to protect ourselves from and in extreme cases forfeit their right to life.

hawkdriver on October 31, 2008 at 2:58 PM

SHE could play Sarah in a movie about her life!

Brat on October 31, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Patrica Heaton would have to play her on stilts.

Very short! Big heart though.

hawkdriver on October 31, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Great interview. In a prior election, Patricia Heaton was savaged for her opposition to embryonic cloning. She made a great point about how that industry would need to turn poorer women into brood hens, having to undergo painful and invasive procedures, that entailed risk to their health, to supply needed ova.

Luckily, we are finding out that adult cells can be turned into plenipotential stem cells.

Feminists for Life! Yeah!

Laurence on October 31, 2008 at 3:02 PM

It’s no accident that free-market conservatives tend to support life issues. Economic cons who lean left on abortion ultimately undermine the overall conservative agenda because they end up supporting and enabling the very people who will vehemently oppose them on economic issues.
Patricia Heaton needs more face and air time. She is a valuable spokesman for the truth.

whitetop on October 31, 2008 at 3:05 PM

webproze on October 31, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Don’t forget my governor, Janet Napolitano. Before Ahnold was elected, we had the most macho governor in America.

jgapinoy on October 31, 2008 at 3:06 PM

My hubby grew up down the street from Patti and her family in Bay Village, Ohio. His little sister, Loretta was Patti’s age and friends with her and attended St. Rapheal’s Catholic school together. I understand she moved back to Ohio a few years back and is involved with many local charitable events. All Bay Villagers I’ve met love her and claim Hollywood did not change her one iota.

silenced majority on October 31, 2008 at 3:07 PM

This woman is awesome. I always like hearing her – which happens rarely.

Spirit of 1776 on October 31, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Her husband is the guy who played Parker. I think Patricia has five kids. Knowing that, my favorite line of hers to Ray is “These are working brea$ts!”

Mr_Magoo on October 31, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Lucky lucky lucky Ed.

mikeyboss on October 31, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Outstanding. I am going to accomplish a futile, yet necessary task of sending this to my brother who just hates “one issue voters”–on the right only.
Patricia is very intelligent and even-tempered, just the kind of person we need to tell the truth for us, until we have the guts to do it ourselves. There is so much intimidation aimed at us, no wonder us conservatives are quiet or communicate anonymously.

Christine on October 31, 2008 at 3:11 PM

I should have said: WE conservatives. Oy.

Christine on October 31, 2008 at 3:12 PM

She is beauty and brains. We need more like her, instead of the likes of Cameron Diaz (so dumb).

mariloubaker on October 31, 2008 at 3:12 PM

we had the most macho governor in America.

jgapinoy on October 31, 2008 at 3:06 PM

Thanks for reminding me. Now I’ll have to deal with those night sweats again.

Mr_Magoo on October 31, 2008 at 3:13 PM

mariloubaker on October 31, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Cameron Diaz, “Vote Republican, and you vote to have us all raaaapped!”

Don’t flatter yourself Hon!

hawkdriver on October 31, 2008 at 3:17 PM

You know who else was good at manipulating “the masses” through speech and hung around with jew haters?

Hitler.

I’m just saying.

Elizabetty on October 31, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Actress is still a good word. Feminists outlawed it, along with Miss, but I wish it would come back. Actor still sounds wrong to me.

In any case, Patricia Heaton is a good actress, and she seems like a very good American.

JiangxiDad on October 31, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Ed, I am soooooo jealous.

Patricia Heaton, beauty, brains, wit, charm …. she exemplifies what we call the Whole Package.

And one of us to boot.

fogw on October 31, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Helen Thomas – Democrat…not so much

webproze on October 31, 2008 at 2:39 PM

“Not so much??” How about, “get me two nails so I can gouge out my eyes?”

Cicero43 on October 31, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Debra – “What does it take, huh?! Have you ever thought of giving me a hug?!”
Ray – “….a HUG?!”

Coronagold on October 31, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Coronagold on October 31, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Obama: “I will fix everything”
Debra: “Idiot”

fogw on October 31, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Apparently one celeb who isn’t being told to STFU by Hot Air.

Grow Fins on October 31, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Did her.

pabarge on October 31, 2008 at 4:50 PM

The only thing “post-partisan” about Obama is fascistic destruction of his opposition.

maverick muse on October 31, 2008 at 5:02 PM

I really like Patricia Heaton and was getting into the “Back to You” sitcom.

If she reads this, my 72 year old mother loves “Everybody Loves Raymond”. She has all of the Dvd sets.

Canadian Infidel on October 31, 2008 at 5:20 PM

hawkdriver on October 31, 2008 at 2:49 PM

That’s a trade I could make any day of the week. No death penalty, no abortion.

Cindy Munford on October 31, 2008 at 5:28 PM

The sexist insults of ANOTHER conservative woman start in 4..3…2…

csdeven on October 31, 2008 at 5:29 PM

WOW…loved it!!!

Lou on October 31, 2008 at 6:12 PM

The heat is on!

A foxy lady with smarts to spare~~!

(Her autobiography “Motherhood and Hollywood” is a fun read, too.)

Go Mac & Sarah!

profitsbeard on October 31, 2008 at 6:28 PM

She’s great.

Black Adam on October 31, 2008 at 6:34 PM

…I’ve struggled with the death penalty issue myself. I eventually came back to the belief that there are people we have a right to protect ourselves from and in extreme cases forfeit their right to life.

hawkdriver on October 31, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Patricia Heaton is the rare consistent person. She is a great spokesperson and advocate.

Personally I think it’s hard to be consistent when pairing such huge issues. Of course we’d all like to believe we are not hypocritical…but we all are. At least you admit your own double standard.

I just accept that some people believe that other people need to die before God planned. Some of us draw the line at the unborn baby; other’s at violent criminals. Every one of us who takes a life is making decisions best left for God. Otherwise God would have explained precisely which of us should be executioner’s.

Vengeance is for the Lord. Sinning is for the human. Some of my greatest sins are vengeful.

The Race Card on October 31, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Ed: Bravo!

The “get” interview of the year. Great job.

Professor Blather on November 1, 2008 at 12:02 AM

She was great on “Raymond” and I’m very glad she’s on our side. We need more like her.

One small detail: Her wiki article says she was raised Catholic, but she attends her husband’s Presbyterian church, although she hasn’t formally converted. Is she really Catholic? Or does that just make her a “lapsed Catholic”? Not that that makes any real difference to me. But saying she’s Catholic is a tiny bit iffy.

JimC on November 1, 2008 at 12:04 AM

I almost forgot: BIG congrats to you on getting the interview!

JimC on November 1, 2008 at 12:29 AM