Eagleburger: Hey, sorry for dumping all over Palin

posted at 5:55 pm on October 31, 2008 by Allahpundit

That would be Lawrence Eagleburger — former secretary of state to Bush 41, current McCain supporter, and one of the names most eagerly dropped by Maverick whenever the words “Colin Powell” are breathed to him. Here’s how he “helped out” the campaign yesterday:

Asked Thursday on National Public Radio if he thought Palin would be ready to take over in a crisis, Eagleburger said, “Of course not.”

“I don’t think at the moment she is prepared to take over the brains of the presidency. I can name for you any number of other vice presidents who were not particularly up to it, either,” Eagleburger said.

“So the question I think is, can she learn and would she be tough enough under the circumstances if she were asked to become president? Heaven forbid that that ever takes place,” he said. “Give her some time in the office and I think the answer would be, she will be adequate. I can’t say that she would be a genius in the job, but I think she would be enough to get us through a four-year — well, I hope not. … Get us through whatever period of time was necessary, and I devoutly hope that it would never be tested.”

Twenty-four hours later, nutroots blogs have had a field day with it and McCain’s had to spend precious time explaining it away, most notably on GMA this morning. I figured they’d “disappear” him like they did to Carly Fiorina, but here he is on Cavuto groveling for all he’s worth and throwing roundhouses at The One to atone. Thus is another news cycle wasted. Good work, Larry.

Comments

Sexist turncoat. These good ‘ol boy, old farts need to just go away quietly.

jbh45 on October 31, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Republicans. Consistently, their own worst enemy.

Cicero43 on October 31, 2008 at 6:00 PM

I don’t think Dear Leader Obamassiah is ready either.

rbj on October 31, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Way to go Larry — what the hell were you thinking?!!?

Richard Romano on October 31, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Good God, what a dope! I have been listening to him for several weeks and his delivery has always scared me. Now we see why.

Although he did do an adequate job of minimizing the damage by taking all the blame.

Now, when does Biden do the same?

csdeven on October 31, 2008 at 6:02 PM

I hate Republicans.

D0WNT0WN on October 31, 2008 at 6:03 PM

I’m now officially a member of the Palin Party.

D0WNT0WN on October 31, 2008 at 6:04 PM

I think its safe to consider 90% of Reagan and Bush 1 Republican officials as unreliable in their political acumen.

Speedwagon82 on October 31, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Republicans. Consistently, their own worst enemy.

We do like to eat each others children, don’t we.

ChrisM on October 31, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Carly has been back lately, so I guess they need all the spokes folks they can get.

Cindy Munford on October 31, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Allah, you must be SO proud…

psrch on October 31, 2008 at 6:06 PM

The most hilarious and ironic thing is that Palin has more applicable experience than Obama, Biden, or McCain.

GO PALIN !!

Jamson64 on October 31, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Whoa, easy, easy! Yeah, he said what he said.

Why doesn’t anyone ask these guys for context by inviting them to name all the other people who are, ahem, unqualified for the offices they hold or are running for?

For instance, as much as I adore Palin, I wouldn’t have picked her from a crowd of conservative officeholders for President. At all. But I don’t think Carter, Mondale, Dukakis, Clinton (either), Gore, Kerry, Biden, or Obama are even qualified to run.

Context is very important in the opinion game.

Jaibones on October 31, 2008 at 6:08 PM

I’m not ready to give up, so there! I worked my fingers to the bone yesterday calling up people in a phone bank. I can almost assuredly tell you that NC will not be voting for Obama.

SouthernGent on October 31, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Twenty-four hours later, nutroots blogs have had a field day with it.

And yet, they have no problem covering for that crackhead, Senator idiot Biden.

HornetSting on October 31, 2008 at 6:08 PM

I’m now officially a member of the Palin Party.

D0WNT0WN on October 31, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Welcome aboard.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 31, 2008 at 6:12 PM

And yet, they have no problem covering for that crackhead, Senator idiot Biden.

HornetSting on October 31, 2008 at 6:08 PM

While Biden is an idiot. Obama was the one doing drugs like crack.

Jamson64 on October 31, 2008 at 6:13 PM

I’m not talking about Eagleburger really, but why do so many conservative Republicans become liberal in their old age while almost every single liberal Democrat just gets even more stupid and socialist in their old age?

Speedwagon82 on October 31, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Put a wig on him and you’ve got Madeleine Albright.

Hmmmm, you never see these two together…

Kini on October 31, 2008 at 6:13 PM

I kind of feel for him, old politician who is not quick on the uptake.
Old age awaits us all.

McCain gracious as ever defending his old friend.

FireBlogger on October 31, 2008 at 6:15 PM

While Biden is an idiot. Obama was the one doing drugs like crack.

Jamson64 on October 31, 2008 at 6:13 PM

It’s amazing that Obama is not all in for a trade agreement with Columbia.
They are both crack heads, along with those ready to vote for them.

HornetSting on October 31, 2008 at 6:16 PM

I’m now officially a member of the Palin Party.

D0WNT0WN on October 31, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Enjoy the complimentary cookies and moose-burgers we have on the counter.

Enoxo on October 31, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Now, let’s get serious here… does anyone REMEMBER Bush 41′s administration? It was filled to the brim with country club dopes, nose-in-the-air elites, so-called foreign policy “realists,” big government wasters and stuffed shirts.

This shouldn’t surprise a soul.

Bush 41 was pretty much an embarrassment and so what his coterie of tired Ford/Nixon left-overs.

There is a REASON Reagan whipped pappa Bush’s rear in 1980!

Warner Todd Huston on October 31, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Not good Mr. Secretary. Not good at all.

Republican on October 31, 2008 at 6:17 PM

What box of Crackerjacks did this pack of numbnuts come from?

One slick sheister empty suit Democrat and Republicans walk around like leather shoes on a frozen lake.

Pinch up some snuff and don’t be afraid to swing hard you might just hit the ball.

C’mon now.

Speakup on October 31, 2008 at 6:17 PM

Stop backtracking you stupid fat f*ck. We know your real thoughts, just like we do with Noonan. You’re entitled to speak your mind, and we’re entitled to laugh at you when Obama is the worst Pres since Jimmah Carter

lodge on October 31, 2008 at 6:18 PM

I am needing some encouragement here folks about Tuesday… I know I’m a bit wobbly and I don’t want to be an Eeyore… but am a bit worried: not one poll has Mac up… how motivated is the base to get out there this season and how much is this being underestimated? Obama dumping money into Arizona, Palin holding a rally in North Carolina tomorrow (I think)… that isn’t good for this late in the game.

Republican on October 31, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Never trust anyone named after a food made from an endangered species.

profitsbeard on October 31, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Senile old coot. Stay the f home.

marklmail on October 31, 2008 at 6:21 PM

There is a HUGE crowd in Columbus, OH for McCain. I heard an ABC report on the radio that said McCain was getting the biggest crowds of his campaign in Ohio.

SouthernGent on October 31, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Wow, so many nonpersons on the right these days, soon it’ll be the movement of Limbaugh, Malkin, Palin and maybe half-a-dozen others (The Palin Party I guess it’s called). Better watch out Allah. Ugly litmus tests ahead.

Grow Fins on October 31, 2008 at 6:23 PM

SouthernGent on October 31, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Yes, and they’re all ROWDY and VIOLENT!!1!

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 31, 2008 at 6:23 PM

I’ve always detested this cranky old fart, and if he hadn’t pulled himself away from the buffet spread at the early bird special to impart his wisdom upon us, I wouldn’t have known he were still alive. Funny how he’s embraced so quickly by the left.

Just STFU and go away.

JammieWearingFool on October 31, 2008 at 6:24 PM

He knew what he was doing. He can shove his apology you know where.

I heard McCain talking about democrats on his cabinet. I hope he was just politicking and not serious. The man should have learned by now they will only stab you in the back.

Blake on October 31, 2008 at 6:25 PM

SouthernGent on October 31, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Doesn’t suprise me, I hope 70% of the people in Ohio are mad as hell at The One for trying to steal their votes.

ChrisM on October 31, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Better watch out Allah. Ugly litmus tests ahead. – Grow Fins on October 31, 2008 at 6:23 PM

It’ll get uglier after McCain wins. Time to grow fins and swim away, little minnow.

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 6:26 PM

Eagleburger sux.

ctmom on October 31, 2008 at 6:27 PM

ManlyRash

Scary!!

Grow Fins on October 31, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Blake on October 31, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Ever SEEN the definition of insanity? It has a picture of McCain dealing with democrats.

HornetSting on October 31, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Who isn’t reading from the teleprompter anymore?

Dr Evil on October 31, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Larry, the nursing home called.

aquaviva on October 31, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Rush talked about Eagleburger on his show earlier,
and I agree,there seem’s to be a lot of Republican’s
this election who were sure dam_ helpful towards
Governor Sarah Palin!

And,I’ve seen more support,praise and clear thinking
on the Rightsphere Blogs this election!!!

Time for some re-evalution of some of these so-called
professed Republicans,because boy O,they sure have been

And Eagleburger,what the h#ll,you said ‘SarahCuda’
would be,

‘ADEQUATE’—————-WTF!!

canopfor on October 31, 2008 at 6:32 PM

She’s still my gal.

Let’s roll!

ex-Democrat on October 31, 2008 at 6:42 PM

ManlyRash on October 31, 2008 at 6:26 PM

I welcome this getting uglier part. Way way over due
Palin has been great in drawing out the posers

kangjie on October 31, 2008 at 6:42 PM

Give the fat doucherocket a pork chop to shut his mouth……what are these idiot’s thinking? Better yet, why aren’t these idiot’s thinking?

David in ATL on October 31, 2008 at 6:44 PM

btw, the things that have been said about Governor Palin would never had been said about a MAN.

F*ck you Eagleburglar, Noonan and the rest of you jealous misogynists.

Let’s roll.

ex-Democrat on October 31, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Who isn’t reading from the teleprompter anymore?

Dr Evil on October 31, 2008 at 6:29 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 31, 2008 at 6:55 PM

How dare Eagleburger say what he thinks???

HOW DARE HE?!?!?!?!?!

He just need to qualify this admission that Palin is woefully unprepared to simply mention that he would be better than Obama.

Roger Waters on October 31, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Republican on October 31, 2008 at 6:19 PM

BS you’ve been dropping crap like this for days. If you really are just a weakling, go over to hillbuzz.wordpress.com and click on “eyeore free zone” to get the kick you deserve.

My suspicion is astroturfer though.

funky chicken on October 31, 2008 at 7:14 PM

I’m not a feminazi that tends to see sexism everywhere she looks, but, the guy is from a very different generation. He was born in 1930 and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he’d be skeptical of any woman (regardless of how much experience she had) being more than adequate for the job.

I’m not going to be mad at a 78 year old man for saying something unsavvy.

Kathleen Parker on the other hand – she’s fully aware of what she’s doing.

JadeNYU on October 31, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Blake on October 31, 2008 at 6:25 PM

One democrat who would be trustworthy is Jim Marshall of Georgia. He’s probably going to lose his seat in the House of Reps this year, even though he is a good representative and a patriot. He was a real hero in Vietnam, and hasn’t gone nuts like Jim Webb.

He’d be a good sec def….really.

funky chicken on October 31, 2008 at 7:17 PM

He should have went with the Broadwy Joe defense…..I was drunk!

VikingGoneWild on October 31, 2008 at 7:25 PM

This is the problem with our party. These snobbish blue blood so called cocktail beltway closet republicans need to go. To dump on Palin without taking into context Obama’s inexperience is shear stupidity and arrogance.

Kini on October 31, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Kini on October 31, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Clearly, they are violating Regan’s 11th commandment.

Count to 10 on October 31, 2008 at 7:31 PM

I saw him on Cavuto today. Quite a grovel.

No big deal, though. He’s ancient history.

Y-not on October 31, 2008 at 7:54 PM

“be adequate”?

What’s this guy, Lindsay Lohan?

- The Cat

MirCat on October 31, 2008 at 7:59 PM

So the question I think is, Larry, do you have the diplomatic skills necessary to read the political landscape and field simple questions at NPR during a presidential campaign?

Heaven forbid that that ever takes place.

Give you some time and I think the answer would be, you are inadequate.

I can’t say that you would be a genius to run a presidential campaign, but I would think you would be smart enough to get us through a four-day — well, I would hope not. … Get us through whatever period of time was necessary, and I devoutly hope that it will never be tested again.

Saltysam on October 31, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Reminds me that I got a hit on my blog from someone searching Palin experience vs Obama experience. Not sure if they were looking for ammo against an Obamatron or what, but kind of funny our VP is being compared to their number one still.

aikidoka on October 31, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Take off a few pounds and he would be Michael Moore.
Once again he never met Gov Palin and is probably basing his opinion solely on the 70 percent negative stories run about her in the media.

eaglewingz08 on October 31, 2008 at 8:22 PM

Eagleberger is one of those DC barnacles who managed to collect appointments from Nixon, Carter, Bush Sr

The brains of the Presidency?

This guy does not even have a clue how to campaign for McCain.

On the other hand, Palin may not have a clue how to land appointments from both sides of the aisle

I am still digesting how someone takes over the brains of any office. What are these brains and where are they stored?

RINO’s – get out of the way. If you don’t like the food, stop gnawing at it.

NPR has caught a live one but he is old and they will have to cook him fast

entagor on October 31, 2008 at 8:43 PM

He made the argument about Obama that I haven’t heard often. Let’s compare Resumes’ and she who is better qualified for the Presidency.

tdavisjr on October 31, 2008 at 8:51 PM

Thus is another news cycle wasted.

hmmmmmmm….

Connie on October 31, 2008 at 8:54 PM

I’m not going to be mad at a 78 year old man for saying something unsavvy.

Kathleen Parker on the other hand – she’s fully aware of what she’s doing.

JadeNYU on October 31, 2008 at 7:15 PM

You supplant sex discrimination with age discrimination while using a blatantly sexist barb. Nice.

The Race Card on October 31, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Way to go Larry — what the hell were you thinking?!!?
Richard Romano on October 31, 2008 at 6:02 PM

He wasn’t. Just another snob running at the mouth.

Zorro on October 31, 2008 at 9:29 PM

So, he does one time what Biden is making a career out of doing and he’s pilloried. Hmmm.

Kafir on October 31, 2008 at 9:45 PM

Good work, Larry.

No sh#t. The GOP has a seemingly inexhaustable supply of elderly or prematurely elderly sexist elitist stuffed shirt white guys, and sitck up the butt jealous beyond belief old white ladies. Here is another. Someone want to drive Larry down to Boca before he causes any more damage?

james23 on October 31, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Thank God this clown was never involved in diplomacy.

Oh wait, never mind.

viking01 on October 31, 2008 at 10:48 PM

I kind of feel for him, old politician who is not quick on the uptake.
Old age awaits us all.

McCain gracious as ever defending his old friend.

FireBlogger on October 31, 2008 at 6:15 PM

*sniff sniff* rub it in….. old times is setting in!

sheebe on November 1, 2008 at 3:49 AM

Hey, that interviewer used to work for SkyNews here in the UK!

Black Adam on November 1, 2008 at 7:33 AM

Well beat up on him all you want, but he was being asked about foreign policy previously. So in a way he was kind of sand bagged (bait and switch)as Combs does regularly in his interviews. He may be old, but he is still up on current policies and aware of their repercussions.

N4646W on November 1, 2008 at 9:07 PM

The Race Card on October 31, 2008 at 9:27 PM

I discriminated against his age? How so? Saying that I think he’s more likely to think a woman shouldn’t be in charge because he grew up in an era when people were told that women should not be in charge is not discrimination, it’s stating a fact. Same as if I said that my friend in India is more likely to be alright with an arranged marriage because she grew up in a culture that approves of arranged marriages. It is not an indictment of the person or the culture. It’s simply a statement of fact. You can feel free to attack that statement and disprove it, but, busting out the -ism accusations is ridiculous and serves no purpose other than to distract from the actual discussion.

As for my blantantly sexist barb, I’ve got no idea what you’re referring to. Is it the fact I said that Kathleen Parker knows what she was doing? I’m sorry if you read into that, “because she’s a woman”, but that definitely wasn’t there. It’s because she’s an intelligent, media savvy person that is fully aware of how the game of politics is played these days. It has nothing to do with her gender at all.

JadeNYU on November 3, 2008 at 12:19 PM