Iraqis prefer McCain over Obama

posted at 6:00 pm on October 30, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

FWIW.  They don’t get to vote, of course, but it’s interesting to see how the country that Barack Obama would have abandoned two years ago reacts to the idea of him leading the nation that liberated Iraq.  Unsurprisingly, most of those interviewed worried that Obama wouldn’t be able to stand up to the dimunitive genocidal lunatic to their east:

For five years Ali and Mohammed have lived alongside US soldiers in their Baghdad neighbourhood near Rasheed Street, a prominent commercial artery running through the heart of the Iraqi capital.

During that time American culture and politics have become familiar to them, and they say that if they could, they would vote for Republican candidate John McCain in next week’s US presidential election. …

“The Iranians believe that if Obama is elected he will not take action against them despite their nuclear ambitions. That worries me,” said Ali, sitting on an old bench in Al-Zahawi coffee shop.

“If the Iranians get the bomb they will become the Tarzan of the region,” said the former teacher and lecturer at the University of Baghdad, referring to the vine-swinging strongman of the jungle in old Hollywood movies.

Mohammed, also a professor at the university, said he too preferred McCain “because Obama supports a rapid withdrawal of US troops.”

“Our army is still too weak and Turkey and Iran are threats. Iran’s President (Mahmoud) Ahmadinejad has warned Iran would fill the void left when US troops depart,” he said.

The Iraqis apparently understand global and regional politics better than Barack Obama. They certainly understand military strategy and tactics better than Obama.  They understand best of all what would have happened if Bush had followed Obama’s advice in 2007 rather than fighting the terrorists and securing Iraq.

I’m surprised that Agence France-Presse reported this story, though.  Don’t they understand Hope and Change in French?

Comments

good article in WSJ today: Obama and the Politics of Crowds

jp on October 30, 2008 at 6:03 PM

Just a quick observation. Why don’t we use the finger dipped in ink to verify who has voted and who has not. No need for that pesky voter ID card that is so racist.

Just a thought.

PappaMac on October 30, 2008 at 6:03 PM

Iraqis, Israelis, Georgians … anybody whose freedom and even existance is threatened.

Tony737 on October 30, 2008 at 6:04 PM

This is further proof that the project in Iraq has worked and one more reason why Obama will abandon it.

D0WNT0WN on October 30, 2008 at 6:05 PM

They know they will be slaughtered if Obama becomes president. They’re smarter than democrats.

HornetSting on October 30, 2008 at 6:07 PM

PappaMac on October 30, 2008 at 6:03 PM

Would you want to stick your finger in the cup after Chris Matthews?

Ronnie on October 30, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Would you want to stick your finger in the cup after Chris Matthews?

Ronnie on October 30, 2008 at 6:08 PM

It’s not the finger I’m worried about, it’s that damn leg.

HornetSting on October 30, 2008 at 6:10 PM

I saw this and then I saw that the SOFA agreement is in doubt because the Iraqis running for office don’t want to be associated with the US in the eyes of the voters. It doesn’t make sense to me.

My gut feeling is that being sandwiched between Iran and Syria is complicating things greatly for Iraq.

justincase on October 30, 2008 at 6:10 PM

Perhaps an election day stunt for GOP could be to go to ohio polling places with Purple Ink to make a point on Voter Fraud

jp on October 30, 2008 at 6:10 PM

This is no different that those completely unscientific, anecdotal articles saying that they prefer Obama.

DaveS on October 30, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Wow, this is actually really surprising.

jimmy the notable on October 30, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Iraqis have never appreciated arugula.

Philistines.

Cicero43 on October 30, 2008 at 6:12 PM

If the Iranians get the bomb they will become the Tarzan of the region

racist…

malclave on October 30, 2008 at 6:12 PM

They know the difference between tyranny and freedom.

I salute their bravery, especially those Iraqi’s that voted in Iraq and defiantly showed that purple finger of courage and hope.

They are far more patriotic Americans, than the elites in the cities, that no longer can recognize evil.

luvstotango on October 30, 2008 at 6:13 PM

DaveS on October 30, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Yes, its anecdotal, but its by AFP. If they could have made McCain look unpopular, they would have.

jimmy the notable on October 30, 2008 at 6:13 PM

OT: gotta post this…OBAMA CAMPAIGN STAFFER

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 29, 2008

With Obama, the Sun will rise on America
“We are almost there.”

The sun is setting as I sit down with Barack Obama, the next President of the United States in his hotel room. Obama drinks from a water bottle and leans back in his chair. He is tired but still alert after a long day of campaigning. His face is relaxed and content. “We are almost there,” he tells me.

Election Day is two weeks away. The sun may be setting on this particular day but it is clear to all but a few that a new day is beginning soon not only for America but for the world.

It has been six months since I joined the Obama campaign. Sometimes it feels like lifetime ago. So much has happened. There has been a great deal of traveling and I’ve seen more of America than I have ever cared to see. I am still astounded by how large this backwards and flawed nation is. I express this to Senator Obama.

“I understand. Believe me, I feel the same way.” Obama pauses and puts down the water bottle and rubs his eyes with both hands. “There is so much that I must do and sometimes I don’t know if eight years will be enough.”

The McCain people continue to claim Obama is a Socialist or that he will take money from plumbers. “They do not understand,” Obama says. “I wish sometimes I could just grab one of them by the shoulders and just yell, ‘wake up and get with the program!’”.

“Some people get it, a lot of them actually. They know what I must do. America is broken. Look at the rallies.” And he’s right. I don’t believe any of his appearances this week attracted less than 10,000 people.

“We have walked down a long path and I don’t mean just you and me. Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, W. E. B. Dubois, they all started the path and I can finish it”.

I tell Obama the legend of Amon-Ra, a God of ancient Egypt who attains the characteristics of all other gods. “Sometimes you remind me of him,” I tell him.

Obama smiles and looks out the window. Outside is America; a land that needs a wise and just leader.

He is coming.
POSTED BY TRUTH FIRST AT 7:04 AM 11 COMMENTS

Mommypundit on October 30, 2008 at 6:13 PM

That’s nice. That’s wonderful. That’s utterly and completely irrelevant. Any other country’s opinion, whether they pick Obama or McCain, doesn’t matter. They don’t vote for our president, we do.

MadisonConservative on October 30, 2008 at 6:14 PM

As well as Obama’s VP Biden who wanted to carve Iraq up into three countries.

wise_man on October 30, 2008 at 6:16 PM

He is coming.
POSTED BY TRUTH FIRST AT 7:04 AM 11 COMMENTS

Mommypundit on October 30, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Obama supporters are children living out a fantasy.

Cicero43 on October 30, 2008 at 6:17 PM

MadisonConservative on October 30, 2008 at 6:14 PM

You’re well honed skills at stating the obvious is nothing short of astounding.

wise_man on October 30, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Why is it that, time and TIME again – it is ED that puts the most inspiring and informative posts here?

BECAUSE HE LOVES AMERICAand Allahpundit HATES America!!

GOD BLESS ED!!!

grtflmark on October 30, 2008 at 6:21 PM

He is coming. POSTED BY TRUTH FIRST AT 7:04 AM 11 COMMENTS – Mommypundit on October 30, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Sometime in the afternoon, on November 5, 2008, the landlady will find Truth First hanging from a ceiling beam.

ManlyRash on October 30, 2008 at 6:23 PM

That’s nice. That’s wonderful. That’s utterly and completely irrelevant. Any other country’s opinion, whether they pick Obama or McCain, doesn’t matter. If they pick McCain, they’re stupid stupid Nazis.

But if it’s Germany and they’re out in force to see The ONE, then boy howdy it totes counts!!!! / Obama supporter

Fixed it for ya! You can now post it at HuffPo. You’re welcome.

mjk on October 30, 2008 at 6:24 PM

BECAUSE HE LOVES AMERICA – and Allahpundit HATES America!!

GOD BLESS ED!!!

grtflmark on October 30, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Heh.

jimmy the notable on October 30, 2008 at 6:26 PM

MadisonConservative on October 30, 2008 at 6:14 PM

They’re not voting for our president, but their opinion is hardly utterly irrelevant. At the very least, it tells us how things are going in Iraq and how the Iraqis dread the disaster of an Obama win. Iraq will fall if Obama wins. That’s relevant.

Ronnie on October 30, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Obama and the Democrats understand perfectly that Iran would fill the void.

That’s their whole foreign policy platform – a weakened America that is forced to deal with geopolitical issues in a multilateralist fashion, because that keeps the world safe you see! If Iran grows in power and can assert itself more easily and threaten the world with nuclear weapons, that increases the chances for peace since we wouldn’t DARE attack a nation armed with nuclear weapons.

They want America weakened. They believe it’s better for the world.

Riposte on October 30, 2008 at 6:31 PM

If Obama gets elected I would imagine that one of the first tests will be Al Sadr and Iranian agents trying to take over eastern Iraq specifically targeting GI’s, the Green zone and Iraqi politicians. I can only hope that the Iraqi military is up to it otherwise the average Iraqi is f’ked.

I hope I’m wrong.

patrick neid on October 30, 2008 at 6:31 PM

Iraq: People experiencing freedom for the first time, who appreciate the sacrifices made by our fighting men and women.
Iraqis: Prefer McCain

America: Filled with people who have forgotten the preciousness of freedom and the sacrifice needed to hold on to it.
Democrats: Prefer Obama

fogw on October 30, 2008 at 6:33 PM

There is an interesting dynamic that is going on in Iraq right now. The Sunni Muslims that opposed America initially have now found themselves depending on their former enemy for security. Iran is heavily Shiite and no friend to the Sunnis. So if the two shopkeepers are Sunni I would not be surprised to hear them say this.

Hawthorne on October 30, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Ronnie on October 30, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Seems like Iraqi’s know a thing or two about living under a dictatorship. And what it’s like to live under a democracy.

wise_man on October 30, 2008 at 6:38 PM

It’s really sad, but also true, fogw.

wise_man on October 30, 2008 at 6:39 PM

THE SURGE has secured secruity in Iraq!

McCain was right!

Obama was,and is wrong!

Had the Liberals had their way(not PUMA’s),Saddam Insane
would of had his!

Iraq was Liberated by the Leader of the Free World,President
Bush!

REMEMBER,Barack Obama wants to pull out of Iraq,and in doing
so,the entire Middle East will ascend into a ‘Ted Nugent’
une of “Its a Free For All”,and the Iranian goons will march
unimpeded straight through and towards Israel!

And,again,if the liberal Party was so dam_ned concerned with
voter rights,or restoring the rights of another country,
Americans should vote McCain in overwhelmingly!

Thank-You,President Bush,the’Surge’of McCain,the US Military
and America for “LIBERATING” IRAQ,and insuring the right of
Iraq’s to vote!

And that was accomplished by the Republican Conservative
Party!—————————————-:):)

canopfor on October 30, 2008 at 6:39 PM

On the 15th of October 2005, flying over Kirkuk and Erbil, I had the priviledge of seeing 10s of thousands of those purple fingers pointed at our aircraft.

“Look at me helicopters, I voted”.

A day of some emotion. Some don’t get to see a people vote on a constitution in a lifetime.

hawkdriver on October 30, 2008 at 6:39 PM

Must have been amazing to see, hawkdriver.

wise_man on October 30, 2008 at 6:43 PM

I get a little tight in the chest thinking about a country full of people starting to enjoy just some of the freedoms and benefits we have. We are the greatest country in the world, not just because we are, but because we want the same thing for the rest of the world.

LickyLicky on October 30, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Tony737 on October 30, 2008 at 6:04 PM

You forgot Pakistan.

aengus on October 30, 2008 at 6:48 PM

D0WNT0WN on October 30, 2008 at 6:05 PM

LOL. So because Iraqis prefer the Republican Party that proves its all been a big success?

aengus on October 30, 2008 at 6:49 PM

aengus on October 30, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Iraqis prefer someone who can get the job done.

News Flash: We won the war. Didn’t you get the memo?

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 30, 2008 at 6:50 PM

Somebody remind the Obamessiah what happened to Ramses’ army when they got on the wrong side of the God of Moses.
Blub, blub! Got that sinking feeling?

People know better in the land of Nebuchadnezzar and Abraham (Iraq).

Steve Z on October 30, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Hey Guys – MadisonConservative is not a troll. That’s the same-ish blurb they have posted whether the foreign populace is supporting McCain or Obama.

JadeNYU on October 30, 2008 at 6:54 PM

They know Obama will raise their taxes, too.

profitsbeard on October 30, 2008 at 7:05 PM

As bad as things might be for America, I’m truly despondent over what will happen to the Iraqis and Georgians and other nations that have so heavily relied on us for their safety and well being. While our freedom is at risk, for these people it is not only their freedom but their LIVES that are at risk. I pray for them all, and that God not only grant us a reprieve, but also provide for the continued security and freedoms of all our allies.

Lincoln on October 30, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Lincoln on October 30, 2008 at 7:13 PM

It’s worse than that. Look to Central and South America. Marxism was almost totally defeated in that region in the 80s/90s. Look for the states like Cuba, Venezuala, Bolivia to start going to town down there too.

There is a reason B Hussein Obarky doesn’t like Columbia. Because they have spilled their blood fighting the FARC with and for us.

hawkdriver on October 30, 2008 at 7:19 PM

It’s because “He” didn’t go to Baghdad and give them a hypnogasm address like he did with the green-Marxist eurotrash in Berlin.

whitetop on October 30, 2008 at 7:26 PM

The Dems have little problem screwing over our soldiers a la Murtha… why would they hold any higher respect for the IRAQIs?

Jamson64 on October 30, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Iraqis prefer McCain over Obama

So do Israelis. It’s because their lives depend on it.

CP on October 30, 2008 at 7:31 PM

whitetop on October 30, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Well. in fairness to Dear Leader, how would you feel in the Green Zone after Biden warned you about all the shooting at him? It would be hard to concentrate on a good speech.

hawkdriver on October 30, 2008 at 7:32 PM

OT: Ironic when the party of love and peace does it to the party of lovier and peacier.

Cindy Sheehan’s Campaign Headquarters Heavily Damaged in Late Night Attack

hawkdriver on October 30, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Cindy Sheehan’s…

hawkdriver on Oct 30,2008 at 7:36PM.

hawkdriver: Maybe the moonbats were confused and thought
Cindy Sheehan’s Campaign quarters was a Military
recruitement centre!!!haha:)

canopfor on October 30, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Unsurprisingly, most of those interviewed worried that Obama wouldn’t be able to stand up to the dimunitive genocidal lunatic to their east.

Can anyone fathom a reason why he would even want to?

jay12 on October 30, 2008 at 7:56 PM

Can anyone fathom a reason why he would even want to?

jay12 on October 30, 2008 at 7:56 PM

Because we lost about 5000 Americas there establishing a democracy.

Because it’s a foothold in the Middle East and an Ally now.

Because it would be another bloodbath.

hawkdriver on October 30, 2008 at 8:15 PM

“Look at me helicopters, I voted”.

hawkdriver on October 30, 2008 at 6:39 PM

WOW!

Thanks tons for sharing!

Domino on October 30, 2008 at 9:07 PM

Can anyone fathom a reason why he would even want to?

jay12 on October 30, 2008 at 7:56 PM

jay12 gets an “F”

Domino on October 30, 2008 at 9:10 PM

What a stretch/joke.

“Since the invasion more than five years ago, the Mutanabi market has been twice hit by bombs. The area is predominantly Sunni”

I count 4 Iraqis, (Sunni?), commenting for the article and 1 was for Obama. If AFP had an article with a few Iraqis dissing McSame, do you really believe HA would comment on that?

Chimpy on October 30, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Oh shiot! This sucks. Pelosi or Sheehan? Even though I don’t live in Frisco area. There is not choice. Both are rotten. I hope that Capps falls for good here.

Iraqi people have great taste! I want McCain too! um err for President. My hubby is a lot more hotter. :)

sheebe on October 30, 2008 at 10:55 PM

“Look at me helicopters, I voted”.

hawkdriver on October 30, 2008 at 6:39 PM

That was uplifting. Thank you for telling us that. Gives me good reason to have hope. Must have been an incredible feeling to see.

sheebe on October 30, 2008 at 10:58 PM

hawkdriver on October 30, 2008

I got all emotional over that event (manly emotions, of course) and you just made me relive that.
Thanks, hawkdriver.

SKYFOX on October 31, 2008 at 5:46 AM

“Look at me helicopters, I voted”.

hawkdriver on October 30, 2008 at 6:39 PM

You just reminded me of that day, too. Thank you so much. God have mercy on them and us if we vote to abandon those people now.

ManlyRash on October 30, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Okay, I know it is wrong, but I just laughed at loud at the thought of someone hanging. Thanks a lot, ManlyRash. Now I have something else to add to my list for confession. :P Seriously, thanks a lot. I love your optimism.

pannw on October 31, 2008 at 9:20 AM

If the libs are so afraid of having to show an ID to vote, then let’s do what those in Iraq are doing, show us your finger.

On second thought, You can never tell where a libs finger has been.

MSGTAS on October 31, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Libs hates this~! although I would’ve re-title this -Majority of Iraqis prefers McCain over Obama- just to be on the safe side. wink wink

gr8inferno on October 31, 2008 at 11:22 AM

So the article counted 3 for McCain, 2 for Obama

What about the other 27 million Iraquis?

Dave Rywall on October 31, 2008 at 10:57 PM